test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

12/1/12: Official "Welcome to Champs" day

thetruthurtsthetruthurts Posts: 22 Arc User
What? The official "Welcome to Champs" day!

When? 12-1-12 - All day long!

Where? Renaissance Center

Who is invited? Everyone!

Purpose: Meet & Greet to welcome new players

As we all know, COH is shutting down on Nov 30th. And as we have already seen, quite a few of those players have already, or are going to be joining our community.

Now I'm sure there are going to be quite a few player and possibly even Dev hosted events going on in COH between now and then, and it would be disrespectful to distract attention from any of those. But I would like to suggest that the day after COH officially sunsets, there be an official "Welcome to Champs" day here.

So if you are a long time player of Champs, spread the word to your friends and supergroup. If you are a new player coming from COH, please pass along our warm invitation to your fellow players to join us here on that day.

With all of that said, I would like to make a few brief comments about my feelings regarding this situation. It is always sad when a game people love goes away. At the expense of being overly dramatic, it is almost like the death of a loved one. However, the new people who are going to be joining our community from COH are nothing short of a transfusion of new life into this game. This is something we should all* be grateful for, and on December 1st lets all show them how much we appreciate having them with us.

See you there! :smile:

*This includes you Cryptic/PWE, and some type of in game event on that day would be a great way to show it! Also, I know it isnt policy to officially mention competitors, but with Champs and DCUO being the only other superhero games on the market, being the one that officially welcomes the COX players over is simply good business. I'd like to suggest that you talk with PR/marketing to get permission to make an announcement on the home page, which will then get reported on the various gaming news sites. If DCU does it first then its just going to look like your copying them, so dont wait too long.
Post edited by thetruthurts on

Comments

• chalupaoffurychalupaoffury Posts: 2,553 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Good idea. We should do an rp event afterward. That'd be a good time for it.
    In game, I am @EvilTaco. Happily killing purple gang members since May 2008.
    dbnzfo.png
    RIP Caine
  • theapygoostheapygoos Posts: 384 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    not too long after taht would be the winter event, so an "offical" event, dunno how much could be done there
  • sanmercisanmerci Posts: 203 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Good idea. I'll be there- with bells on!
  • trailturtletrailturtle Posts: 5,496 Perfect World Employee
    edited September 2012
    I like this idea.
  • agenthugbertagenthugbert Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    As one of the recent transplants I think this would be a very good thing.
  • fudgemonstafudgemonsta Posts: 1,591 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    A nice idea, especially to welcome those that decide to migrate over from CoX to here.
    @HangingDeath

Deliciously nutritious!
  • angelofcaineangelofcaine Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    /signed :cool:

(how convienent that 12-1-12 is a saturday huh?)
    __________________________________________________O.P.T.I.O.N.S.
    | ME | A "Guide" Book" | | I, have a "DREAM! | ( Member since Feb 2008 ) ... ?
    [SIGPIC]http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b132/AngelOfCaine/STILLS/Misc/CO-Sig_01e.png[/SIGPIC]
    Were there any specific reason for that personal attack other than that your opinion differs from mine?
  • cybersoldier1981cybersoldier1981 Posts: 2,501 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I'm going to see if I can scrounge up a few costume drops and mods, maybe hand them out.
  • crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Posts: 53 Arc User
    edited September 2012

As we all know, COH is shutting down on Nov 30th. And as we have already seen, quite a few of those players have already, or are going to be joining our community.

Now I'm sure there are going to be quite a few player and possibly even Dev hosted events going on in COH between now and then, and it would be disrespectful to distract attention from any of those. But I would like to suggest that the day after COH officially sunsets, there be an official "Welcome to Champs" day here.

So if you are a long time player of Champs, spread the word to your friends and supergroup. If you are a new player coming from COH, please pass along our warm invitation to your fellow players to join us here on that day.

With all of that said, I would like to make a few brief comments about my feelings regarding this situation. It is always sad when a game people love goes away. At the expense of being overly dramatic, it is almost like the death of a loved one. However, the new people who are going to be joining our community from COH are nothing short of a transfusion of new life into this game. This is something we should all* be grateful for, and on December 1st lets all show them how much we appreciate having them with us.

*This includes you Cryptic/PWE, and some type of in game event on that day would be a great way to show it!

Very nice idea - but, why just make it one day? Perhaps it should be the "Official Welcome to Champs Weekend"? ;)
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    Armsman-KConniesig-Original0454.jpg
    PWE Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • sircupcake60sircupcake60 Posts: 49 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    This! So much this! :biggrin:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • gavinrunebladegavinruneblade Posts: 3,781 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    theapygoos wrote: »
    not too long after taht would be the winter event, so an "offical" event, dunno how much could be done there

Honestly, do the CO devs log into their NPCs and roleplay them like the CoX devs did? One or two celebrity appearances at a public gathering place and maybe a one-off perk for logging in during the event (or withing a window near it, say friday through Sunday or something) and you'd be amazed how much good will that would bring and how welcome people would feel. Doesn't need to be fancy.
  • championshewolfchampionshewolf Posts: 4,375 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Honestly, do the CO devs log into their NPCs and roleplay them like the CoX devs did? One or two celebrity appearances at a public gathering place and maybe a one-off perk for logging in during the event (or withing a window near it, say friday through Sunday or something) and you'd be amazed how much good will that would bring and how welcome people would feel. Doesn't need to be fancy.

The devs don't have any signature NPCs here. They have their own identifiable characters. Trailturtle is currently actually playing one in game, quite publicly in fact. Gentleman Crush will also appear from time to time, and then tehre are a few. Before Robobobo got kicked upstairs, he use to appear regularly.
    Champions Online player since September of 2008, forumite since February of 2008.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • sorceror01sorceror01 Posts: 210 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    The devs don't have any signature NPCs here. They have their own identifiable characters. Trailturtle is currently actually playing one in game, quite publicly in fact. Gentleman Crush will also appear from time to time, and then tehre are a few. Before Robobobo got kicked upstairs, he use to appear regularly.

Yeah, no one on the dev team plays claims any of the Signature Heroes as their own. I mean, the CoX devs did it because they essentially created the IP and the characters, so it made sense. But none of the devs created any of those characters, I believe.
  • crashdragoncrashdragon Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    CoX this CoX that.............in chat, forums, etc

Enough with the EMO red carpet.

Seriously, one word of advice from someone who has seen a lot of games shutdown.
    Get over it, hell I did when I lost my favorite game, twice.

So much for reboots.

Next ex-CoX that shears tears at me, it's the ignore button. My shoulder is all cried out.
    Just wish the Dev's would bend like a piece of wet spaghetti when it comes to fixing bugs.........instead of wasting time like this.
    I like to hang around laundromats and steal hero's tights for ransom. =3
  • thetruthurtsthetruthurts Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited September 2012

Seriously, one word of advice from someone who has seen a lot of games shutdown.

So much for reboots.

Next ex-CoX that shears tears at me, it's the ignore button. My shoulder is all cried out.
    Just wish the Dev's would bend like a piece of wet spaghetti when it comes to fixing bugs.........instead of wasting time like this.

Please, by all means, ignore everyone who mentions it. That way we wont have to hear your trolling because you wont see anything we say.
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,318 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Please, by all means, ignore everyone who mentions it. That way we wont have to hear your trolling because you wont see anything we say.
    Exactly. These folks have had a virtual world, one that some of them have lived in for longer than my son has been alive, yanked away from them almost without notice. A grieving period is perfectly appropriate. Besides, the more folks we have playing CO, the better; and welcoming everyone who used to live in Paragon City will definitely help with the ol' population here in MC.

You don't like it, don't read it. No problem.
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • cybersoldier1981cybersoldier1981 Posts: 2,501 Arc User
    edited September 2012

So much for reboots.

By all means, start with me.

COX COX COX COX COX.

Maybe that should provoke it enough.

More people, more money, more fixes and extras on the way. Simple idea.

But, by all means- I embrace your ignore feature with open arms and absolutely zero sh!ts.
  • mijjesticmijjestic Posts: 481 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    STICKYYYYYYY!

(cause well...it's going to be a while :redface:)
  • pion01pion01 Posts: 758 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I like this idea a lot!!

If any of the current CoX peeps still have friends or still play over yonder, you guys should totally spread the word.

I love CoX too, it was the first and only game besides champs that held my attention for a prolonged period of time, and I know the community was definitely first rate, and word of mouth meant a lot.

Just, lets all try to be a little sensitive so we don't come as though we're poaching or anything, yeah?

edit:
    side note, I just saw the 50% off on freeforms thing, y'all may wanna let your buddies know!!

So much for reboots.

Thing is man, a lot if not most of us are CoX transplants in some form, even if it was long before the game looked to be shutting down.

And yes many others have shut down previously, but the main difference here is CoX is essentially the older brother - it shares many of the same community members, developers, and characteristics, and even the same engine.

They are more our comrades in the online world, and closer to kin, than most other games can claim, and seeing something like this happen to our counterparts in another realm is very disheartening considering the road we've all faced (at times, even faced it together).

For many of us, CoX was our first home, not just as players, but as community members, AND characters - my main characters are direct ports from CoX, and I know I'm not the only one.

But if that's not the community you want to be a part of, then by all means, live your game life according to your wants.
  • siralleynesiralleyne Posts: 39 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Sticky, sticky , sticky this post !

My first home, too, was Paragon City. The biggest thing I missed from City Of was the community, specifically the RP community, even if I was mostly an observer due to shyness.

It'd be nice if we could get Dev participation, and I really, really think it should be "Welcome to Champions" weekend. :cool:
  • yogid0nnieyogid0nnie Posts: 132 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I'll be there
  • canadascottcanadascott Posts: 1,257 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Bumping to make sure game content threads aren't knocked off the front page.
    /CanadaBanner4.jpg
    edited September 2012
    Another bump, unfortunately, is needed. Sorry folks.
    /CanadaBanner4.jpg
  • fantasycharacterfantasycharacter Posts: 458 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Two bumps isn't working, you need to bump harder!
    edited September 2012
    I like this idea.

Glad you do. I know it isnt policy to officially mention competitors, but with Champs and DCUO being the only other superhero games on the market, being the one that officially welcomes the COX players over is simply good business. I'd like to suggest that you talk with PR/marketing to get permission to make an announcement on the home page, which will then get reported on the various gaming news sites. If DCU does it first then its just going to look like your copying them, so dont wait too long.
  • kangstorkangstor Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited September 2012

Actually devs were laid off at 31st august and currently Paragon Studios closed down. Devs were removed from building as well they are currently logging on to CoH (if they are doing it at all) with their own means and they don't have any mean to make an event except a few "throw X type of MOB in Y quantity into a zone" plus all of them are looking for jobs so it would be not right to expect them to prepare some sort of events with already limited resources they have.

But players organise many events themseles more than ever including protests in certain zones in game, doing hard contents like CoP, Hamidon raids etc collecting badges they never had chance to collect, getting Master of badges at TF/trial etc. I am pretty sure at least one person is trying to solo all itrials and I heard of duo mothership raids. Getting almost all created characters to 50 is another goal of most.
  • misterdichotomymisterdichotomy Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Glad you do. I know it isnt policy to officially mention competitors, but with Champs and DCUO being the only other superhero games on the market, being the one that officially welcomes the COX players over is simply good business. I'd like to suggest that you talk with PR/marketing to get permission to make an announcement on the home page, which will then get reported on the various gaming news sites. If DCU does it first then its just going to look like your copying them, so dont wait too long.

I can assure you that, as a CoH player, I believe if most of us had the choice between Champions and DCUO, we'd pick Champions. For one thing, Cryptic helped develope the game and though CoH and Champions are definitely two seperate and different games; they have far more similarities than DCUO.

Plus, our community has already been informed of your welcoming event and most of us are very appreciative of it.

Though I still have my fingers crossed that somehow CoH gets saved, I'm keeping a few alts here warm until CoH is officially over.
  • sockmunkeysockmunkey Posts: 4,504 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Yea DCUO.

I wandered over to their forums just to see what the buzz might be. At great personal risk to my sanity, I might add.

I honestly didn't see any, not anything at all.
    edited September 2012
    I can assure you that, as a CoH player, I believe if most of us had the choice between Champions and DCUO, we'd pick Champions. For one thing, Cryptic helped develope the game and though CoH and Champions are definitely two seperate and different games; they have far more similarities than DCUO.

Plus, our community has already been informed of your welcoming event and most of us are very appreciative of it.

Though I still have my fingers crossed that somehow CoH gets saved, I'm keeping a few alts here warm until CoH is officially over.
    sockmunkey wrote: »
    Yea DCUO.

I wandered over to their forums just to see what the buzz might be. At great personal risk to my sanity, I might add.

I honestly didn't see any, not anything at all.

That is good to hear, but I would still recommend Cryptic do this in an official capacity if possible.
  • eddiewoodeddiewood Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    This is a great idea!

This might be best done as a community run event since, you know, community community community really means a lot to COH players. That said, I'm sure there are ways Cryptic can help out and there's no harm in letting the game media know your intentions.

Good luck!
  • kenpojujitsu3kenpojujitsu3 Posts: 1,320 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Sounds like a plan to me.
    Freeform Builds Directory (Last updated: 04/23/2016)
    Serving since September, 2009 / 65 Characters, 63 Level 40's
  • pion01pion01 Posts: 758 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    eddiewood wrote: »
    This is a great idea!

This might be best done as a community run event since, you know, community community community really means a lot to COH players. That said, I'm sure there are ways Cryptic can help out and there's no harm in letting the game media know your intentions.

Good luck!

I think I agree, it should remain community based, but that doesn't mean a few devs, GMs and community management folks couldn't show up for moral support.

That also doesn't mean that some sort of official or media mention about what the community is doing for their fellow players shouldn't happen.

:smile:
  • felfoxfelfox Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Well I'm in favor of this :3 CoX was the first MMO I ever played and the first real touch into the wondrous world of RPing. While I've been with CO for a long time, I still cherish the many years on cox. Many of the friends I met then have become very close and special even to this day. I'm all for a day dedicated to our comrades and friends of our older brother.
  • trailturtletrailturtle Posts: 5,496 Perfect World Employee
    edited September 2012
    pion01 wrote: »
    That also doesn't mean that some sort of official or media mention about what the community is doing for their fellow players shouldn't happen.

This is something I'm kicking around doing more of in general. I am but one man, but I have a pretty good spotlight I can shine on the ideas of the many.

Remember guys, I'm in-game fairly often these days after work, so send me a friend request and ping me about big events while I'm doing Alerts. :biggrin:
  • agentnx5agentnx5 Posts: 1,999 Arc User
    edited September 2012

*This includes you Cryptic/PWE, and some type of in game event on that day would be a great way to show it! Also, I know it isnt policy to officially mention competitors, but with Champs and DCUO being the only other superhero games on the market, being the one that officially welcomes the COX players over is simply good business. I'd like to suggest that you talk with PR/marketing to get permission to make an announcement on the home page, which will then get reported on the various gaming news sites. If DCU does it first then its just going to look like your copying them, so dont wait too long.

I'm fully in support of this. It's simply a good business idea. I also like how you structured your topic's opening post with a FAQ-style Questions & Answers.

If I may, why not make it coincide with the archetype rotation program? (see link below)

That's a way to both get a lot of people to transfer over, and then show them reasons to stay (buying a premium archetype or going freeform). Recruiting new customers and keeping them around is a cornerstone of stable business theory with regards to best management practices. Sadly many video game companies forget that it seems...

:smile:

vote yes, I support this.
  • sidreussidreus Posts: 48 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I will do whatever I can.

As my old CoH modus operandi was running TFs on weekends, I can try to grab new comers and run Aftershock or Whiteout with them.

Thanks for the lovely idea Thetruthurts.

Knightly reporting for duty! */e militarysalute*

Question: Can we trade Anniversary Gifts?

If we can I'd like to save some for CoH players. Maybe also it might be a good idea to stop deleting Anniversary costume drops. I guess some people will love sparkly clothes. If we will have a Halloween event like last year, those become devices will make nice gifts. My old main still have two Become Ghost so I can secure them before deleting him.
  • agentnx5agentnx5 Posts: 1,999 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    sidreus wrote: »
    I can try to grab new comers and run Aftershock or Whiteout with them.

Try those with 5-person teams on Elite! :biggrin: It's a pretty epic challenge that requires teamwork and communication to succeed (at least without the massive frustration of the team getting wiped out that is) Great memories from doing that, lots of fun.
  • vorshothvorshoth Posts: 596 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Be there or be a rectangular five dimensional prison floating through space coincidentally landing on the planet of your foe's child for reasons that will never be explained!
    #supermanmoviereference
    [SIGNATURE REDACTED]
  • blumoon8blumoon8 Posts: 430 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I'm in. :) Although I only really stalk the forums, CoX closing down was a blow to my heart. I've been meaning to go back and thought that I could someday but oh well. These things happen, still clinging to the hope that it might be saved. If it can't, we'd be lucky to get such dedicated players. It was one of my first MMO's as well, one of the few I truly loved. It would be my honor and privilege to be there for "Welcome To CO Weekend" (as I think the weekend is suitable for it :D)

Question: Do we just show up or is somebody going to come up with a schedule for this shindig? You know, contests and prizes, the works! although, not sure how much we could do with our limited power aside from cossie contests, races and maybe hide and seek or scavenger hunting (which might be hard for some not being so familiar). Regardless of what happens, I'll be there with Lady T :D

I say stuff and I say things, sometimes together but only when I'm feeling adventurous.

I'm @blu8 in game! :D
    edited September 2012
    I put up a thread in the Suggestions forums that relates to this topic. Feel free to support flame,or ignore it as you wish:

http://co-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=173311

Looking forward to welcoming CoX vets into the game and will be happy to run some RPs for you folks through CORP or some of the other RP SGs in-game.
    /CanadaBanner4.jpg
  • isotopeisotope Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Great idea, I'll be there. Champions will benefit from their presence, as they will bring new culture and ideas here, not to mention more opportunities for team play and roleplay.

I played CoH since Apr 2004, but when Champions came out, I liked it much better. I could never get my CoH friends to play it very long, because they wanted to stay loyal to NCSoft, and only have one subscription. In a way, CoH closing down is a real treat because many people will get to realize how cool Champions is, and what they have been missing. I will do my best to help them see that.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"A word is worth a thousand pictures."
    ~Hellgeist
    edited September 2012
    Well, one thing is for sure: forum traffic has definitely picked up =P
  • docclarksavagejrdocclarksavagejr Posts: 52 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Hey all,

Gotta say I think this is an excellent idea. As a CoX refugee, I can honestly say that nearly everyone I've met in the forums and in-game has been both welcoming and helpful. I've felt fairly appreciated here.

While none of us from Paragon City are happy to loose CoX, extending the same open attitude towards those "on the fence" and "just trying it out" will go miles towards helping to build a stronger community here. Isn't that what we all want after all?

And not to be crass, but more money for PW/CO means more staff, more goodies, more content, and longer life. I know we ALL want that.

So yes, "thetruthhurts", I'm very much on board with your "Welcome To Champions Day" idea.
  • docclarksavagejrdocclarksavagejr Posts: 52 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I know it isnt policy to officially mention competitors, but with Champs and DCUO being the only other superhero games on the market, being the one that officially welcomes the COX players over is simply good business. I'd like to suggest that you talk with PR/marketing to get permission to make an announcement on the home page, which will then get reported on the various gaming news sites. If DCU does it first then its just going to look like your copying them, so dont wait too long.

100% this.
  • zoenderszoenders Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I support this initiative. :)
  • mijjesticmijjestic Posts: 481 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Still needs a sticky to avoid constant bumpage!
  • grazerrgrazerr Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I will tell you all this. The overall "welcoming" to the CoX players has not gone unnoticed. It has been mentioned on their forums as well. Playing CO coming from CoX will surely be a new experience for them, as the 2 games play very differently. So I think something like this idea is an awesome one. I think what will help them initially will be letting them know of the global channel that has been set up for them to "find" each other here in CO. Mentioning CO Wiki as well. And just general help for the many questions they will probably have.

Just so you know it can be expected that some will say they don't "care" for Champs initially (being used to playing CoX), but I think with some help and encouragement they will understand CO better and become more comfortable with it. (hopefully!)

From my experience in playing both and hearing the pros and cons of CO directly from CoX players, I can offer 2 pieces of advice that I think should be given to them early on.

1. Show them how to turn off the comic outlining in the options. They are not used to it and from what I have primarily got from CoX players is they don't care for it. Perhaps later they can try turning it on again. On most PC's is it on by default and new players have no idea it can be turned off.

2. Explain that the energy builder can be set to a toggle. For us its no big deal but if a person is not used to it and thinks they HAVE to manually click it to get end they tire of it quickly.
  • valasquavalasqua Posts: 51 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    For us its no big deal but if a person is not used to it and thinks they HAVE to manually click it to get end they tire of it quickly.

It can??? (I am from CoX. I had no idea. How do I do that?)

And yes, everyone here has been very welcoming and I think everyone from CoX really appreciates it. I am sad to leave behind all of my many alts, but I have been playing around with the build possibilities and it looks like you can create some really fun characters here.
  • grazerrgrazerr Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    valasqua wrote: »
    It can??? (I am from CoX. I had no idea. How do I do that?

Yes it can. Click the "C" logo at the bottom of your mini map. Then options. Go to the controls tab then scroll all the way down to the bottom. I believe its the last option. There is a drop down menu to the right with choices as to how your end builder will work. If you set it to "Toggle, never cancels", thats how. After you close the window, click and hold down your end builder and a white glowie border should appear inside the power box. That means it is on as a toggle.

Just be carefull who/what you target as you are traveling. If they are in range, your end builder will automatically shoot em!
  • polishlightningpolishlightning Posts: 404 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    valasqua wrote: »
    It can??? (I am from CoX. I had no idea. How do I do that?)

And yes, everyone here has been very welcoming and I think everyone from CoX really appreciates it. I am sad to leave behind all of my many alts, but I have been playing around with the build possibilities and it looks like you can create some really fun characters here.
    grazerr wrote: »
    If you set it to "Toggle, never cancels", thats how. After you close the window, click and hold down your end builder and a white glowie border should appear inside the power box. That means it is on as a toggle.

Just be carefull who/what you target as you are traveling. If they are in range, your end builder will automatically shoot em!

When you zone your energy builder will turn off, so keep that in mind. Other than that it's a pretty fancy option.