2»

Comments

• valasquavalasqua Posts: 51 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    That is indeed nifty. Thanks!
  • thetruthurtsthetruthurts Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    mijjestic wrote: »
    Still needs a sticky to avoid constant bumpage!

/agreed :tongue:
  • damz1damz1 Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    [Speaking as a CoX Refugee]

Really starting to get into Champions now so will be there myself. Still so many things i dont understand about this game but learning each day, maybe by the time the event comes around i'll have a level 40 :p
  • baroness1980baroness1980 Posts: 268 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    This is a nice idea.

Thank you very much for such a warm welcome.

I'd also like to propose something for the other refugees... I have been flexing my muscles trying to recreate or re imagine some of the costumes of iconic chars on CoH.

My idea is this... for those of us arriving to Champions... we should show up as one of our fav chars from CoH as a homage... or a service if you will. Call it a last act of appreciation to a game we love and still fight and try to save, against all odds.

Just like we are doing vigils on Atlas Park 33... the day after CoH goes dark completely... we could make a vigil here, as a last goodbye.
  • gavinrunebladegavinruneblade Posts: 3,781 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    This is a nice idea.

Thank you very much for such a warm welcome.

I'd also like to propose something for the other refugees... I have been flexing my muscles trying to recreate or re imagine some of the costumes of iconic chars on CoH.

My idea is this... for those of us arriving to Champions... we should show up as one of our fav chars from CoH as a homage... or a service if you will. Call it a last act of appreciation to a game we love and still fight and try to save, against all odds.

Just like we are doing vigils on Atlas Park 33... the day after CoH goes dark completely... we could make a vigil here, as a last goodbye.

There is a group "shard of virtue" that is formed of CoH players whose characters in Champions RP that when paragon city was destroyed they ended up here. I've seen some who were in the shadow shard and used the portal to return to peregrine island only to find themselves in the Millenium City Qular invasion, or one who didn't know what happened at all, just blam, how did I end up here?

Good group, RP not mandatory but it is there if you want it. And lots of us have re-created favorite CoH characters to use here. There's even a countess crey homage running around.

Ask on the COX channel, there's almost always one or two on.
  • oneheadedboyoneheadedboy Posts: 85 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Out of curiosity have you considered updating the OP with a list of scheduled events for this day? All I'm seeing is way too many posts to sift through after a 'say hi in Ren Center' OP.

In COH when people in the community organize events, we lay out a trajectory for what the groups will be doing. This seems particularly important in CO as teaming does not seem to occur very often.

Perhaps the organizers could lead some comic book runs, alerts, and other nice cooperative content in order to help people get acclimated to the game and also even help with the solo all day errday mentality that CO seems to suffer from.

Just my 2 inf. Or whatever it's called here. Questionite. My two que.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • gtw891gtw891 Posts: 115 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    As a new CoX refugee (well, not so new since I've been playing Co for a month now as a gold since the news first came out) who's been happy for the warm welcomes & help from many CO vets this is more that welcome news. And judging from the stream of others like me it looks like CO will probably be a winner in the post CoX era.
  • chikahirochikahiro Posts: 35 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    As a long-time COX player, I really appreciate this thread, thank you. I'll spread the word to some friends of mine, and hopefully they'll be interested. While I'm entirely happy that super-hero MMOs are so different from each other (there's really NO mistaking one for another, unlike many fantasy games), that's a double-edged sword due to personal taste involved. A good, warm welcome will hopefully give players incentive enough to stick with things to adjust.

Has anyone written a recent COX player's guide to CO, by chance? Given the considerable differences between the two titles (personally, I feel STO is more like COX than Champs is), I think it would be worthwhile. I've been playing again the past week or two, but getting used to the different feel in combat has really thrown me for a loop - trying to figure out what is baseline, what is expected/competent performance, etc. The one month I did subscribe to CO years ago, the free-form character creation left me so frustrated and so turned off I only came back now (thank you Archtypes!).

My blog! Zen|Dilithium tracking on Thursdays
    http://samonmaui.blogspot.com
    As a lifetime member of STO, I officially became a financial liability as of April 2012 when compared to a subscriber.
  • canadascottcanadascott Posts: 1,257 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Nice to see you on these forums, Chikahiro (GestaltBennie from RPG.NET here). I can't say I know of a beginner's guide per se, though co-wiki is useful and it's not hard to find build advice.
    /CanadaBanner4.jpg
  • chikahirochikahiro Posts: 35 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Nice to see you on these forums, Chikahiro (GestaltBennie from RPG.NET here). I can't say I know of a beginner's guide per se, though co-wiki is useful and it's not hard to find build advice.

AAAH!

*tacklehug*

Well, still got two months-ish, so I wonder how much I'll need to learn first... some folks simply aren't mechanically inclined, including myself. All that I know about COH is based off of years of play, Paragonwiki, and lots of help. Well, that and Franken-slotting IO's just "clicked" with me, but then I always did "slot wrong" :p

My blog! Zen|Dilithium tracking on Thursdays
    http://samonmaui.blogspot.com
    As a lifetime member of STO, I officially became a financial liability as of April 2012 when compared to a subscriber.
  • cosmicheraldcosmicherald Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I think that it would be a great idea for the entire weekend to be a 'Welcome to CO' type thing.

The loss of CoX was a shock to all and I think anything that CO can do to welcome anyone from would be a great thing for CO.
    Cosmic Herald
  • rottenluck13rottenluck13 Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Having just got off the bus from Paragon I am already feeling a bit better for all the support you Champions are giving out.

The true heart of COX was the community and it seems our Brothers and Sisters here in Champions share many of the same natures. Hope this isn't an illusion for I'm already enjoying the forums.

In game I'm @rottenluck13 and have only one character a Port from Cox "Rotten Luck". Going to be hard getting him nearly unkillable as he was in CoX. Double so when I'm still learning this system.

perhaps I should make a second character to push all the way learning as I go first before I make mistakes on Rotten.

As for 12-1-12 I will try to be on for all the warm greetings from the Vets.
  • l3dz3p85l3dz3p85 Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    1 month and counting down!
  • thetruthurtsthetruthurts Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    l3dz3p85 wrote: »
    1 month and counting down!

Very true! If you are in a supergroup, please spread the word to your fellow mates. If you want to organize a special event at a certain time, post in this thread and I'll update the OP with a link to your post :smile:
  • yakachiyakachi Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I started playing CoX after everquest way back when, I'm not even sure what year it was or anything like that. It was pre WoW i do know that much. Ever since then the game has played a pivotal roll in my MMO life; it was the game i could always come back to, i even played it a lot with my girl friend.

Now that its shutting down, this is really my only choice for a super hero fix (the lack of customization in DCU kind of kills that game.) I really just hope PWI doesn't drive the game into the ground with the way they run things. I also heard that alot of the paragon guys went to work for cryptic too, maybe they can help steer the game in the right direction.

The game itself seems fun and has some nice features, at least from what i remember when i played its beta and a little bit after release. I have another 20 minutes left on the download and then maybe i can get a better idea on if the game will work as a decent replacement to CoX.
  • theravenforcetheravenforce Posts: 7,122 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    As we all know, COH is shutting down on Nov 30th. And as we have already seen, quite a few of those players have already, or are going to be joining our community.

Now I'm sure there are going to be quite a few player and possibly even Dev hosted events going on in COH between now and then, and it would be disrespectful to distract attention from any of those. But I would like to suggest that the day after COH officially sunsets, there be an official "Welcome to Champs" day here.

So if you are a long time player of Champs, spread the word to your friends and supergroup. If you are a new player coming from COH, please pass along our warm invitation to your fellow players to join us here on that day.

With all of that said, I would like to make a few brief comments about my feelings regarding this situation. It is always sad when a game people love goes away. At the expense of being overly dramatic, it is almost like the death of a loved one. However, the new people who are going to be joining our community from COH are nothing short of a transfusion of new life into this game. This is something we should all* be grateful for, and on December 1st lets all show them how much we appreciate having them with us.

See you there! :smile:

*This includes you Cryptic/PWE, and some type of in game event on that day would be a great way to show it! Also, I know it isnt policy to officially mention competitors, but with Champs and DCUO being the only other superhero games on the market, being the one that officially welcomes the COX players over is simply good business. I'd like to suggest that you talk with PR/marketing to get permission to make an announcement on the home page, which will then get reported on the various gaming news sites. If DCU does it first then its just going to look like your copying them, so dont wait too long.

Very nice idea, I wholeheartedly sign this!

I know that when I arrived to CO from CoH (was my first MMO :3, but I had a 6 month break or so), I was welcomed by a few people and I found the community was quite friendly in the main.

Except for the people who PM'd me saying I was a total noob and I should leave >_>

Anyway, I think it would be great!

/sign!!!:biggrin:
  • randomchance4242randomchance4242 Posts: 195 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    One thing I'm planning to do on the 1st is this:

From that last set of Tako boxes we had, one of my level 40 characters has a few bound "Favor of the Champions" team XP boosts. This does my max level character absolutely no good at all, but it would be a nice little "Welcome to Champs!" XP boost for incoming CoH players.

I was thinking I could (I'm still trying to work out logistics on how to pick folks without people feeling left out) form a team with a group of four new players and give them the XP boost, then form another team with a group of four new players and give them the XP boost, etc.

I know there's probably a bunch of other folks with level 40 characters that also have bound "Favor of the Champions" boosts. Maybe we can all organize and have an informal XP boost party to welcome people.