test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

A message to City of Heroes roleplayers...

starboardnacellestarboardnacelle Posts: 66 Arc User
First, to those of you that have just joined, welcome to the Champions Online community. While Millennium City may not be as storied and prestigious as Paragon City, there's no shortage of room for new heroes! In a similar vein, there's also practically limitless room for customization, and that's what I want to focus on.

City of Heroes pioneered customization, and Champions Online improved that to a factor of ten. The universe is a blank canvas, allowing for any number of concepts to be realized. This is simultaneously the game's greatest strength and its greatest weakness. The storytelling possibilities are nearly infinite, which leaves it open to abuse by the sick and depraved crowd. This quickly becomes evident in Club Caprice.

I'll admit, a lot of the conduct is probably below the standard you guys have set over the years you've spent in Rhode Island. Just keep looking for the diamonds in the rough! Many of us are more than willing to assist your character in finding his or her footing here in Michigan. Feel free to add @Starboard_Nacelle to your in-game friends list!

We look forward to having you here!
Post edited by starboardnacelle on

Comments

• Options
    lordtriganlordtrigan Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Seems like I've seen a lot of new players last night and today. I'm betting a lot of CoH players are coming here. I know my CoH group looks like it's headed here and, being a player in both games, I couldn't be happier. :)

Welcome to Champions, CoH players! Please make yourselves at home! Lets keep the fine Paragon community going.
  • Options
    commanderkassycommanderkassy Posts: 791 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    City of Heroes pioneered customization, and Champions Online improved that to a factor of ten.

Not really, a lot less options here, and CoH power customization make's CO's look like a joke, but whatever, CoH is on the deathbed and I'll playing anyways so I can have my hero fix. Guess it's all irrelevant now.
    [center][i]♪ I'm going around not in circles but in spirographs.
    It's pretty much this hard to keep just one timeline intact. ♪[/i][/center]
  • Options
    stoopidmestoopidme Posts: 248 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Not really, a lot less options here, and CoH power customization make's CO's look like a joke, but whatever, CoH is on the deathbed and I'll playing anyways so I can have my hero fix. Guess it's all irrelevant now.

Oh god this is going to be one of THOSE threads isn't it?

Brick_McDuggins in game.
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Nah, doesn't really matter anymore, does it?

Now it's down between CO and DCUO and we know which game wins there. Oh, wait, that's a bit of an odd statement, since I didn't list two games, but one game and one travesty, in that order.

We all have our tastes and our opinions, I stated mine. It all comes down to personal tastes, which is why most of us picked one or the other. I never disliked CO, in fact, I have always liked it, a lot.. but I liked CoH more. Guess now that choice has been taken away from me.
  • Options
    stellarjoestellarjoe Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Hello.

For those of you who don't know who I am, I'm a now-disenfranchised City of Heroes player. There, I go by the global name CeeGee, and I've played a variety of characters over the 7+ years that CoH was active. I've made a lot of friendships there, been part of one of the best online communities there is, and loved living my childhood dream of being a superhero.

But now, all of that is gone.

Due to a "refocusing" of NCsoft's attention, they're now pulling the plug on what was in my opinion, the Greatest Superhero MMO ever. As you can imagine, I'm devastated by this news. It's as if someone just walked up to me and punched me in the gut for absolutely no reason. I've gone through all five stages of grief over this, but I don't know where to go from there. I tried CO back in it's Beta days and couldn't make heads or tails of the combat system. And the hideous character models in the costume creator. And the fact that you can't play a villain. I gave up immediately and moved on back to CoH.

But now, it's set to go away on Nov. 31, and I find myself at a crossroad. Do I say goodbye to my CoH community and leave MMO gaming forever...

...or, do I settle for Champions Online, and start over from the beginning?
  • Options
    megaskullmonmegaskullmon Posts: 313 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Well whatever you do dude..there are alot of nice folks and rpers that will help you get into the game.
  • Options
    captainsincaptainsin Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    First, to those of you that have just joined, welcome to the Champions Online community. While Millennium City may not be as storied and prestigious as Paragon City, there's no shortage of room for new heroes! In a similar vein, there's also practically limitless room for customization, and that's what I want to focus on.

City of Heroes pioneered customization, and Champions Online improved that to a factor of ten. The universe is a blank canvas, allowing for any number of concepts to be realized. This is simultaneously the game's greatest strength and its greatest weakness. The storytelling possibilities are nearly infinite, which leaves it open to abuse by the sick and depraved crowd. This quickly becomes evident in Club Caprice.

I'll admit, a lot of the conduct is probably below the standard you guys have set over the years you've spent in Rhode Island. Just keep looking for the diamonds in the rough! Many of us are more than willing to assist your character in finding his or her footing here in Michigan. Feel free to add @Starboard_Nacelle to your in-game friends list!

We look forward to having you here!

CoH was better at customization. The art is better for CO of course, its newer and more cartoony, but besides 1 feature and a few parts, CoH had CO beat on customization. :P
    @Sin Stalker

Free comics! www.jkcomics.com
  • Options
    theapygoostheapygoos Posts: 384 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    captainsin wrote: »
    CoH was better at customization. The art is better for CO of course, its newer and more cartoony, but besides 1 feature and a few parts, CoH had CO beat on customization. :P

maybe in powers customization, but not in character.

as for CoH RPers, and other players alike, i bid thee welcome should you decide that this is the new home for you. there are a lot of great people here that are savvy on lore, build advice, PVP, PVE, RP, teh list goes on and on.feel free to contact or add me @apygoos in game. Also for the roleplayers feel free to head on over to the PRIMUS Database website where many people have posted their bios, superteam info, and the like.
  • Options
    lokikinlokikin Posts: 624 Arc User
    edited September 2012

I'd like to suggest we agree to disagree and move on. It's pretty much a moot point now...

On topic, I don't RP, but I know a large number of CoX players do. With a potentially large influx of the RP population, I think the smartest thing Cryptic could do is get those former crafting locations opened up as RP areas and maybe throw a couple more into the mix...

The best way to welcome the RP population is to give them safe places to RP...

:smile:
    _._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._

M-O-O-N, that spells @Rhyatt

Originally Posted by mijjestic: Ultimately, though, MMO players throwing stones at each other in this fashion is basically one nerd pointing and laughing at another nerd whose glasses are thicker.

Laws yes!
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Welcome, StellarJoe/CeeGee! I hope you find your stay here in Mill City as enjoyable as your adventures in Paragon.

I do remember that when I tried a free trial for CO back in the day, I was put off by trying to figure out both the combat system and character creation - it almost kept me from coming back to check it out after F2P. You may find that the system is much easier to figure out now - for one thing, if you don't want to spend time balancing powers against one another to figure out what works best for your own concept (which I personally don't enjoy), you can take an Archetype, where the balance has been figured out for you. Right now, I'm having the most fun playing a Master (unarmed combat tank) and an Invincible (power armor), but I think that's mostly because they're the mildly insane Spider-Bat and the repurposed security droid Happifun Security System X-4.

Again, welcome, and have fun!
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    molemaidenmolemaiden Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Roleplaying CoX refugee (but not from Virtue, thanksveryymuch!), and more of an "RP-on-the-fly" type rather than one to hang out in social hubs much. basically, I play the game in-character as much as possible, both in my own immersion and in my conversations with team mates and other characters. There might be something of an influx from the Pinnacle Roleplay Congress (we're talking out where to go next), and I sure wouldn't mind finding more roleplayers while I'm re-acquainting myself with CO (played in the beta and for six months after go-live).

Patching the game as I type this...
  • Options
    megatenistmegatenist Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Are there alot of RPers on CO?
    "All the things I really like to do are either illegal, immoral, or fattening." - Alexander Woollcott
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Many of them yes. I am one welcome to the game and have fun. Just if you go into the club try to ignore the trolls witch there aint many of but very easy to ignore as well
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    megatenist wrote: »

Actually, yes. But it's definitely a quantity-over-quality situation here. As I said in the original post, the amount of freedom you get in choosing your character's appearance (and powers, if you're a subscriber or pay $50 for a freeform slot) leaves the system open to abuse by perverts.
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    To true sadly....very true but easy to ignore as well
  • Options
    gammabreakergammabreaker Posts: 233 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    There is a chat channel specifically for RP. CORP, I believe. To join custom chat channels, right click on any chat tab and bring up the chat options window. There's a section for joining custom channels.

I'm sure there are other outlets, but that'll help get the ball rolling.

As for meeting places, there were a number of small instances frequented by RPers, but they were also the crafting hubs for various crafting specializations. When the crafting system was recently overhauled, those instances vanished because they weren't necessary anymore. With any luck, they'll be opened again someday.
  • Options
    sigmaseven0sigmaseven0 Posts: 714 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    the amount of freedom you get in choosing your character's appearance (and powers, if you're a subscriber or pay $50 for a freeform slot) leaves the system open to abuse by perverts.

I rarely see perverted costumes in CO, like its been months since i saw one.
    Maybe i don't play at the rite time to see these, because i mainly notice clones not perverts.
    megatenist wrote: »
    Yes. They are the reason that the old crafting instances are returning as RP instances.

Oh and speaking of costumes, All you guys feel free to check out the Costume Contests held regularly here in the power house.
    Here is a link to the Weekly Costume Contest Schedule. :smile:

PVP is starving without rewards

1. Please give us Daily PVP missions that reward Questionite.
    2. Please give us an exchange rate between Acclaim and Recognition so that PVP has access to all "On Alert" PVE rewards.
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    There are also a few clubs for RP - Caprice appears to be largely inhabited by furries and ERPers from what I've been hearing, but there's another bar called Sherrera's (I think it's in Westside), and of course after you get up to high level and clear the Vibora Bay Apocalypse there's the Minefield. I'm sure the RP community can give you directions to where you need to be. (My RP is more in action than speech, although I do try to stay in-character for Happifun Security System X-4 - for instance, Backfire will go out of his way to ruin VIPER's day, because of his backstory...)
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Ahem....I am one of the clean decent furry rpers...not like the others you see lol. I get kind of anoyed with the others i see in there from time to time but other then that if you can ignore it. Its very easy to find good rp in the club.
  • Options
    itsbrou#5396 itsbrou Posts: 1,778 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Taking the powerhouse out of A Day at the Mall will bring you to Vibora at any level. That's
    until Cryptic decides it's something worth stopping.
    Brou in Cryptic games.
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    I've been a lifetime sub of CO since beta. Don't get me wrong, I like CO. It needs a few key things, some small some big to make up for CoH being gone, such as SG bases!

Something small I liked was being able to take out my weapons by clicking a power. I didn't need an enemy by and I could do cool screen shots and RP stuff. Its annoying now that they only show up when actually fighting. Small but it means a lot to me ><

And no, even besides power customization, CoH was better. They lacked the ability to only put on one side (left, both, right) and they only would have 2 to 3 color options. But they had more costume parts, more verity and more powers/sets.

In this game I can't make a pole character or a spines character. There is also a very limited selection of weapons as well. On my character that has dual blade powers, I wanted my character to have medium or short swords, like Butterfly Swords but there isn't a single thing small in this game.

I'm a fan of both games but CoH ruled. Now that its gone, CO will always be second place. :P

To me, anyway.
    @Sin Stalker

• Options
    edited September 2012
    theapygoos wrote: »
    maybe in powers customization, but not in character.

as for CoH RPers, and other players alike, i bid thee welcome should you decide that this is the new home for you. there are a lot of great people here that are savvy on lore, build advice, PVP, PVE, RP, teh list goes on and on.feel free to contact or add me @apygoos in game. Also for the roleplayers feel free to head on over to the PRIMUS Database website where many people have posted their bios, superteam info, and the like.

A lot of us actually hated it for being cartoony. CoH was a dark, gritty game. Never mind the dated graphics, its stories, its world and its characters were all very.. earthy. CO is overly campy, cartoony and lighthearted. I can deal with most of that, but what always made me leave CO was it's content. The writing in this game is awful. I'm pretty much gonna ignore it this time and fill in my own blanks. That would be a lot better I think.

CO needs the Foundry something fierce.
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    A lot of us actually hated it for being cartoony. CoH was a dark, gritty game. Never mind the dated graphics, its stories, its world and its characters were all very.. earthy. CO is overly campy, cartoony and lighthearted. I can deal with most of that, but what always made me leave CO was it's content. The writing in this game is awful. I'm pretty much gonna ignore it this time and fill in my own blanks. That would be a lot better I think.

CO needs the Foundry something fierce.

The Vibora Bay Apocalypse, Adventure Packs, and Comic Series have some pretty damned good stories. Check those out. I think you'd like them better than the normal story missions.
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    The Vibora Bay Apocalypse, Adventure Packs, and Comic Series have some pretty damned good stories. Check those out. I think you'd like them better than the normal story missions.

EDIT: Nvm. Needless to say I have a high level and I am not a fan.
  • Options
    edited September 2012

Its campy dark.

I think I honestly hate, not just dislike but hate with a passion, 99% of the lore in CO. I'm shocked at how Cryptic could make a game full of such great lore and characters and then a few years later create another hero mmo with such horrible lore and characters. 100% of my SG, my online friends, my real friends and even family who tried both games are all in full agreement. That's a 100% there.

Alot of the features in the game are cool, Vibora Bay is rather cool but the character and stories don't draw ya in like CoH's did. In CoH you felt like you were part of that city, like a piece of it was yours, your characters. In CO, I always feel like a second string runner up. You go to Millenium City, you have the Champions there, you have Defender and now you have Nighthawk. Go to Canada and they have their own set heroes that you help out there. Vibora bay, its Black Mask's and some of those other characters.

Really the entire CO game is you helping other heroes do stuff they couldn't find time to do themselves. lol God CO lore sucks lol
    @Sin Stalker

• Options
    angelofcaineangelofcaine Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    To those few who still remember me from CoX :redface:
    I am/was/still am @Angelofcaine there and here (on the forums, AND in game) :wink:

If you're new here and need anything, send me an in game email,
    'Caine :cool:
    __________________________________________________O.P.T.I.O.N.S.
    | ME | A "Guide" Book" | | I, have a "DREAM! | ( Member since Feb 2008 ) ... ?
    [SIGPIC]http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b132/AngelOfCaine/STILLS/Misc/CO-Sig_01e.png[/SIGPIC]
    Were there any specific reason for that personal attack other than that your opinion differs from mine?
  • Options
    trailturtletrailturtle Posts: 5,496 Perfect World Employee
    edited September 2012
    Let me know if there's anything that I can do, as a community manager, to help City players get situated in Champions. If it would be useful to have a list of major RP supergroups, or a forum thread to help find other City expatriates, I can set those up.

The good news is that, with the Champs anniversary, there's going to be a ton of community events to enjoy. Let me know if there's anything I can do.
  • Options
    xaogarrentxaogarrent Posts: 632 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Apparently StarboardNacelle has never spent some time inside Pocket D. :P There's a reason Virtue had a running joke about "Catgirl Tentacle Hentai." Personally, I don't even give a flip what people do with their spare time, but you'll find that sort of stuff here, there and just about everywhere.

Also, for those of you saying CoX had better customization:

New players get locked out of a lot of stuff in two separate ways. Freeform, is a pay for feature, that gives you access to just about every power in the game, at least eventually. It's a huge pool of options that you don't even get to see for yourself unless you throw down money on a gold account or a freeform slot. It can be used to make your perfect concept come to life, although it's a bit risky for new players because you can gimp yourself badly much more easily than you can create something good.

Probably more importantly, the second is that new players can't see all the options in the tailor when making their first character. Talking to the tailor later on will remedy this, and you'll get all the default options available to you at no charge. Yes, I know this is lame, the reasoning given behind doing this was to "streamline character creation" for new players, apparently the devs thought one of the game's best features was overburdening newbies. :rolleyes:

...I just recently realized something really disturbing. We're all eating Sodapop3's "humble pie."
  • Options
    cybersoldier1981cybersoldier1981 Posts: 2,501 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Let me know if there's anything that I can do, as a community manager, to help City players get situated in Champions. If it would be useful to have a list of major RP supergroups, or a forum thread to help find other City expatriates, I can set those up.

The good news is that, with the Champs anniversary, there's going to be a ton of community events to enjoy. Let me know if there's anything I can do.

Well, brother- I think it's a given we need to lay out the welcome mat. I mean- dude, I legit feel bad for these guys over there. I mean, I honestly got depressed when I got this message. So here are my questions for you:

- Can we offer a promotion for new players during the first week of December, maybe the last week of November for 'new players'? I know it may not be good business practice to say 'for Paragon City Refugees', but it'd be a good way to appeal to these guys coming and any other newbies.

- What about a free Silver AT (maybe more than one) made of existing powers, like perhaps 'The Paragon' or something? Maybe we could even have a contest to lay out this AT and even have a contest for its starting costume (like the other AT's) based on exclusively free silver costume pieces?

- What about having a spot in RenCen and place a monument for this? Maybe just a statue showing our respect for our other heroes there?

Again, to the CoX players- I'm sorry guys. I wish we could make it right, and hopefully we can make CO a welcome place for you. We want you here, because like I said in my other thread- everyone should get to be the hero they want to be.
  • Options
    gerberatetragerberatetra Posts: 821 Arc User
    edited September 2012

Is that an age joke?

^_-

Seriously though, what CO lacks in MMO age, it more than makes up for in Pen and Paper lore that CoX whole lacked [not their fault mind you].

Here we are now going to the West Side
    Weapons in hand as we go for a ride
    Some may come and some may stay
    Watching out for a sunny day
    Where there's love and darkness and my sidearm

In game as @forgemccain
  • Options
    ashensnowashensnow Posts: 2,048 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Its campy dark.

I think I honestly hate, not just dislike but hate with a passion, 99% of the lore in CO. I'm shocked at how Cryptic could make a game full of such great lore and characters and then a few years later create another hero mmo with such horrible lore and characters. 100% of my SG, my online friends, my real friends and even family who tried both games are all in full agreement. That's a 100% there.

Actually Cryptic took very good lore (much more developed than anything in COH) and twisted it into what you see here now. Remember that Champions lore has more than 100 lore books (not counting quarterly magazines) developed over 30+ years. Its just not well represented in CO.

Alot of the features in the game are cool, Vibora Bay is rather cool but the character and stories don't draw ya in like CoH's did. In CoH you felt like you were part of that city, like a piece of it was yours, your characters. In CO, I always feel like a second string runner up.

As an FYI your characters are superior to the Champions in pretty much every way. As it currently stands they need you, not the other way around. Can one honestly say that the average player character in COH was vastly more powerful than, say, Statesman ? Remember that your character saves the various members of the Champions, and/or continues on when they fail, many times.

You go to Millenium City, you have the Champions there, you have Defender and now you have Nighthawk. Go to Canada and they have their own set heroes that you help out there. Vibora bay, its Black Mask's and some of those other characters.

Were there no canon heroes in COH ?

Really the entire CO game is you helping other heroes do stuff they couldn't find time to do themselves. lol God CO lore sucks lol

Actually its you handling things that they cannot. A pretty solid core element of the genre is independent superheroes dealing with things that the establishment (the Champions in this case) are incapable of handling.

I completely understand that you are upset with the cancellation of a game you obviously loved. I do think you might want to spend some time reconsidering the factual elements behind your opinions about CO though.

The current incarnation of the Champions Universe, as represented in CO, uses the Champions as a group of low powered superheroes completely out of their league as regards to being able to handle paranormal threats of all kinds. As much as they may have been important players on the superhero scene at some point i the past they are now has-beens living on memory and faded glory.

Luckily for the City and the world at large a new crop of heroes, much more capable of dealing with superhuman threats, has emerged. These new heroes outclass the Champions in every way. In many cases one of these heroes would be more than a match for the entire Champions team combined. Threats that defeat and/or kill members of the Champions are readily overcome by these new heroes.

You are one of the new heroes.

PS: I prefer the grittier tone of COH over the camp that Cryptic decided to emphasize in CO as well.

'Caine, miss you bud. Fly high.
  • Options
    bellesorcierebellesorciere Posts: 44 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Regarding character power, over the past year the game has been pushing that the players are important and powerful, moreso than the signature characters. The incarnate trials were a bit of an exception, although with a handwavey explanation as to why.

The signature story arcs - heroside, at least - involved the Freedom Phalanx needing help from player characters.

That said, it took forever for CoH to reach that point and CO was at that point right at the start.
  • Options
    zahinderzahinder Posts: 2,382 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    It's been a while since I played CoH, but ... power customization?

Yeah, you can't tweak animations in CO quite the same way as some CoH animation tweaks, but beyond that... both games had colorizing, both games had various weapon skins. But CO lets you mix powers in a deep fashion and gives several skins for most pets.

This isn't a defensive/fanboi thing, I'm just puzzled.

Or is this comparing CoH powersets with CO archetypes rather than freeform?
    Campaign: The Fenwick Cycle NWS-DKR9GB7KH

Wicks and Things: NW-DI4FMZRR4 : The Fenwick merchant family has lost a caravan! Can you help?

Beggar's Hollow: NW-DR6YG4J2L : Someone, or something, has stolen away many of the Fenwicks' children! Can you find out what happened to them?

Into the Fen Wood: NW-DL89DRG7B : Enter the heart of the forest. Can you discover the secret of the Fen Wood?
  • Options
    zahinderzahinder Posts: 2,382 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Personally, I thought the writing of both games is silly and clumsy, but then the only MMO that's impressed me, writing-wise, is The Secret World.
    Campaign: The Fenwick Cycle NWS-DKR9GB7KH

Wicks and Things: NW-DI4FMZRR4 : The Fenwick merchant family has lost a caravan! Can you help?

Beggar's Hollow: NW-DR6YG4J2L : Someone, or something, has stolen away many of the Fenwicks' children! Can you find out what happened to them?

Into the Fen Wood: NW-DL89DRG7B : Enter the heart of the forest. Can you discover the secret of the Fen Wood?
  • Options
    iamruneiamrune Posts: 965 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    stellarjoe wrote: »
    But now, it's set to go away on Nov. 31, and I find myself at a crossroad. Do I say goodbye to my CoH community and leave MMO gaming forever...

...or, do I settle for Champions Online, and start over from the beginning?

CeeGee, you don't have to start over completely. It's me, Rune, and you will always have a place to hang your hat with me and mine.

I am personally hopeful that the GAH makes it's way over to CO semi-intact, and becomes great Allies of my team, the SAS.

As far as I know, all of you I had on my friends list are still on it today.
  • Options
    agentnx5agentnx5 Posts: 1,999 Arc User
    edited September 2012

Three things please:

1. Streamline the forums. "Champions Online Discussion" is becoming a grab bag of topics from recruiting, to bugs, to whatever. It would be nice to see a bit more organization.

2. Emote packs in the Z-Store = employment for animators and sales for Cryptic/PerfectWorld. I said this directly to you in one of your recent news announcements as well. This would be very smart to put in ASAP with CoH dying, as it was one of the nicer features CoH had over Champions Online.

3. Read this please: http://co-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=167481 This is being serious. Thank you.

Also thank you for keeping in the loop on this and extending a welcome to CoH players. That's both the right thing to do and good for business.
  • Options
    aaronh42aaronh42 Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Its campy dark.

Alot of the features in the game are cool, Vibora Bay is rather cool but the character and stories don't draw ya in like CoH's did. In CoH you felt like you were part of that city, like a piece of it was yours, your characters. In CO, I always feel like a second string runner up. You go to Millenium City, you have the Champions there, you have Defender and now you have Nighthawk. Go to Canada and they have their own set heroes that you help out there. Vibora bay, its Black Mask's and some of those other characters.

Thank god I am not the only one who prefers the lore in CoH to that in Champs. You definately hate it more than I do, but still, CoH over champs for story any day.

I wonder who owns the rights to the City of Heroes IP? Would love to see a more actiony CoH2.
  • Options
    championshewolfchampionshewolf Posts: 4,375 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    aaronh42 wrote: »
    Thank god I am not the only one who prefers the lore in CoH to that in Champs. You definately hate it more than I do, but still, CoH over champs for story any day.

I wonder who owns the rights to the City of Heroes IP? Would love to see a more actiony CoH2.

That ship has sailed. CoH2 isn't going to happen with Paragon getting the boot, and the Asian market just doesn't care for Super Hero brand games.

At best you can hope for is that the CoH IP reverts back to Cryptic, otherwise NCsoft will do like any other big name, sit on the IP and let it rot.
    Champions Online player since September of 2008, forumite since February of 2008.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
  • Options
    bluedarkybluedarky Posts: 1,232 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    That ship has sailed. CoH2 isn't going to happen with Paragon getting the boot, and the Asian market just doesn't care for Super Hero brand games.

At best you can hope for is that the CoH IP reverts back to Cryptic, otherwise NCsoft will do like any other big name, sit on the IP and let it rot.

Which is a little wierd for such a profit centric company, selling it would net a large amount of cash straight away, licensing could net a larger amount over time.

I guess I'll never understand NCSoft's decision to sit on IPs like that.
  • Options
    trailturtletrailturtle Posts: 5,496 Perfect World Employee
    edited September 2012
    Cybersoldier: Interesting ideas. I don't know how reasonable a monument or the like would be... generally policy is to not officially mention competing games (especially in-game), even when they're entering the sunset. I'll think about this one, thanks for the idea.

Agentnx5: Regarding emotes and hirings... way above my pay grade, unfortunately. I'll ask about how feasible emotes are, because t
  • Options
    draogndraogn Posts: 1,269 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    CoX had more costume options with fewer restrictions (and fewer of those costumes had clipping issues), along with that they had more layers for you to edit. You could have a sleeveless jacket and some kind of skin art on while at the same time have any of the pieces marked for the chest.

But at the same time CO looks better, and the animations are a little more up to date.
  • Options
    hidingcathidingcat Posts: 41 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I also look forward to seeing CoX vets in-game. @HidingCat is my globalname. See you all!
  • Options
    heroshima1heroshima1 Posts: 107 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Well, brother- I think it's a given we need to lay out the welcome mat. I mean- dude, I legit feel bad for these guys over there. I mean, I honestly got depressed when I got this message. So here are my questions for you:

- Can we offer a promotion for new players during the first week of December, maybe the last week of November for 'new players'? I know it may not be good business practice to say 'for Paragon City Refugees', but it'd be a good way to appeal to these guys coming and any other newbies.

I think that would be a great time for membership sales...3 months for the price of 2; 20% off Lifetime subs...and 'refugees' is not a politically correct term...try 'displace citizens', or in this case 'displaced heroes.' Living where people are often displaced due to hurricanes or flooding, they get riled up when you call them refugees. Something about not being a refugee in their own country... :)

- What about a free Silver AT (maybe more than one) made of existing powers, like perhaps 'The Paragon' or something? Maybe we could even have a contest to lay out this AT and even have a contest for its starting costume (like the other AT's) based on exclusively free silver costume pieces?

I like this idea...or CO can roll out a SPINES powerset!

- What about having a spot in RenCen and place a monument for this? Maybe just a statue showing our respect for our other heroes there?

Na...an obituary in The Millennium Times should suffice :)

Again, to the CoX players- I'm sorry guys. I wish we could make it right, and hopefully we can make CO a welcome place for you. We want you here, because like I said in my other thread- everyone should get to be the hero they want to be.

I was a 5 year vet when I made the transition to CO. It was a love/hate relationship at first. The combat system took some getting used to and the keybinds made me crazy...until I discovered you can set your standard keybinds to mimic "that other hero game". Give CO a chance. Remeber, when people first started CoH (or any new game for that matter) you have to get 'used to it.'

I'm sad to hear that CoH is ending. It was my first great love (in gaming) and will always have a place in my memoirs.
  • Options
    draogndraogn Posts: 1,269 Arc User
    edited October 2015

I have explored all of what the CO creator can do, and there are plenty of things it can't do that the CoH creator can. For example, if you want to use a trench coat with the serpent scales, you will end up half naked.

With CoH you can have a sleeveless jacket, a shirt, and still have the serpent scales. This is just the obvious example, that doesn't begin to count the number of costume packs that clip in CO. (the 90s gloves and arm band for instance)

The CO creator is one of the best out, but there are somethings other creators are better at.​​
    Post edited by kaiserin#0958 on
  • Options
    sockmunkeysockmunkey Posts: 4,504 Arc User
    edited September 2012

Well as long as you're asking :biggrin:

Think we could get Smackwell and O-Farmer set up with some proper Community Moderator tags?

With the potential for a bunch of new faces here. It would be nice for said new players to know Biff and Farmer are in fact mods and not just some rule spouting over bearing players.
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    heroshima1 wrote: »
    Na...an obituary in The Millennium Times should suffice :)

Already working on it.

Also I'll say this now, I'll be taking articles (preferably IC) from anyone who wants to submit them about their times in CoX, and I will give a personal guarrentee that every article I receive will be printed, even if it takes a 500 page issue, provided that they follow the following guidelines.

1. Spellcheck, cannot stress this enough, it's simple enough and if you don't have a word processor that does it there's plenty of free ones available online.
    2. Main article must be English only, I don't speak enough of a foreign language or trust Google translate enough to publish an article in a non - English language.
    3. articles must be either
    a. 100-250 words.
    b. 500 - 700 words + picture.
    c. 1000+ words with up to three pictures. (these aren't solid, I'm not going to cut a mini article for being 95 or 260 words or single page one for being 800 words, these are just estimate.)
    4. The article must be not derogatory or inflammatory to any real world person or group (ingame RP or canon groups and/or characters are acceptable so long as they aren't the entire focus of the article) (Yes, this means not flaming NCSoft through the article either)

Submit your articles to paragonpress@googlemail.com
  • Options
    chalupaoffurychalupaoffury Posts: 2,553 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    We should start a channel for the new people to hop on and ask questions/meet people.
    In game, I am @EvilTaco. Happily killing purple gang members since May 2008.
    dbnzfo.png
    RIP Caine
  • Options
    taintedmesstaintedmess Posts: 446 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    There's a channel called "Paragon" though its not just for Roleplayers
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    We should start a channel for the new people to hop on and ask questions/meet people.

I was just about to start a post for to assist people with transitioning. Keep an eye out for it coming within the next 10 minutes (hopefully).
  • Options
    originsourceoriginsource Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I've played CoX off and on for almost as long as the game has existed. The shut down has hit me like a ton of bricks. As silly as it may sound, I seriously feel like I am losing a very old friend or family member.

The only thing that gives me any hope is that CO exists. I imagine most of the people from CoX will have the same idea as me and attempt to make the crossing to CO.

The number of threads I've read here, so respectful to CoX, has eased my sorrow a bit and given me hope. With the influx of CoX players, perhaps the CO community will grow even stronger than CoX's. If Cryptic capitalizes on this opportunity by putting their nose to the grind stone and working on some of the things CoX used to do so well (Dev involvement in game, fully realized and constantly progressing story, ect), CO will come out stronger than ever before.

I look forward to the experience.