test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

A message to City of Heroes roleplayers...

2»

Comments

• Options
    thegreendragoon1thegreendragoon1 Posts: 1,748 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I was thinking about what a memorial to CoH might say and I was thinking something along the lines of this:
    "This monument was dedicated to the the unknown heroes who have given their lives in service of justice. May they forever be a Paragon to this great city.

Also in case it hasn't already been suggested, I think we should put together a FAQ of all the likely questions someone moving over from CoH might have.

(I also like the idea of a new archetype as an homage to CoH much like the Unleashed was an homage to SWTOR.)
  • Options
    championshewolfchampionshewolf Posts: 4,375 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I was thinking about what a memorial to CoH might say and I was thinking something along the lines of this:
    "This monument was dedicated to the the unknown heroes who have given their lives in service of justice. May they forever be a Paragon of this great city.

Also in case it hasn't already been suggested, I think we should put together a FAQ of all the likely questions someone moving over from CoH might have.

(I also like the idea of a new archetype as an homage to CoH much like the Unleashed was an homage to SWTOR.)

I would say a memorial with a statue of Statesman. Love or hate him, the character has been the symbol of City of Heroes since launch and I absolutely despised the rather petty and spiteful way they offed him and several characters.
    Champions Online player since September of 2008, forumite since February of 2008.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    matixzonmatixzon Posts: 120 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Some kind of memorial would be really nice, specially of CoH Refugees, however, we it would need to be something that makes it clear that is based of CoH, but without doing something that violates the IP's copyright, also, while a Archetype would be cool, what powers would it have to be iconic of CoH?, maybe a contest where players post builds or something like that
    @mawexzon

I like cats :cool:.

UGC Campaign: The Coldblooded Scrolls
  • Options
    lotar295lotar295 Posts: 903 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    matixzon wrote: »
    Some kind of memorial would be really nice, specially of CoH Refugees, however, we it would need to be something that makes it clear that is based of CoH, but without doing something that violates the IP's copyright, also, while a Archetype would be cool, what powers would it have to be iconic of CoH?, maybe a contest where players post builds or something like that

if we have a CoH AT,then maybe plant,water,or time manipulation
  • Options
    draugadandraugadan Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    First, to those of you that have just joined, welcome to the Champions Online community. While Millennium City may not be as storied and prestigious as Paragon City, there's no shortage of room for new heroes! In a similar vein, there's also practically limitless room for customization, and that's what I want to focus on.

City of Heroes pioneered customization, and Champions Online improved that to a factor of ten. The universe is a blank canvas, allowing for any number of concepts to be realized. This is simultaneously the game's greatest strength and its greatest weakness. The storytelling possibilities are nearly infinite, which leaves it open to abuse by the sick and depraved crowd. This quickly becomes evident in Club Caprice.

I'll admit, a lot of the conduct is probably below the standard you guys have set over the years you've spent in Rhode Island. Just keep looking for the diamonds in the rough! Many of us are more than willing to assist your character in finding his or her footing here in Michigan. Feel free to add @Starboard_Nacelle to your in-game friends list!

We look forward to having you here!

Thank you so much for the wonderful welcome. I have to say I was reading the DCUO forums before this one. And I have to say the forums here are a lot more welcoming.

I am kind of familiar with CO. I played during beta and bought a life time sub. I quickly got tired of the game and returned to CoH. Returned? That isn't right. I never quit playing CoH I just stopped playing CO. Anyway...

I guess I am back. I left originally because I didn't like the cartoony look of the characters, and because I felt I could make a hero I liked better in CoH. I also felt like every CO character I had I ended up using just a couple powers and that combat got old, fast. So my highest character is level 30ish (I think?) and still hanging out somewhere on monster island.

Monster Island is another reason I stopped. It is an ok story. But I got tired of it fast.

However, I'm back. And apparently a gold member (if I understand correctly). I did log in yesterday, and checked out a few things. Mostly I just feel incredible lost. It seems I will have to respec every character I've made.

Things I wish I could do but can't. Real pop out of your hands, wrists, or something CoH can't do Fingers claws. One of my mains over on CoH had claws. I did make him with the CO claws. Just doesn't feel the same.

Dark Melee. Miss that. I know there is basically dark blasting here. Kind of the same I guess.

I do like that you can put symbols on buckles, capes (I think?), shoulder pads, forheads, and umm... other places?

And my favorite thing about CO is that names are not unique. I LOVE that about CO, and always hated that about CoH.

Anyway, I guess I've gotten long winded I really just wanted to say thank you for the welcome. It truely meant a lot. Not sure where I'll be spending my time between now and the rumored 30 November. But, at the latest, I'll be around after that.

Oh... and I'd be mighty thankful if anyone could help me make this face:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/834/yelloweyes.jpg/
  • Options
    cybersoldier1981cybersoldier1981 Posts: 2,501 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    For the roleplayers, here's a few suggestions to get your transition into RP here in CO running smoothly. Reldin is supposedly posting a 'guide to RP' for you. Here are just some 'take it from me' suggestions, assuming you already know how to RP.

-Demons here are as common as houseflies, with Vampires pulling in a close second. Just thought you'd want to know that up front.

-'Anthromorphic animals' are common, but not too much. Not even a personal favorite for me, to be mild. But live and let live. It doesn't help that most animal heads look.... awful.

-We have a lot of catgirls. I often wonder what would happen if a superhero in Caprice had an allergy.

-Don't RP in zone chat. There be anti-RP trolls about, and then they'll get ya. And it won't be fun for ya.

-Keep the ERP in the hideouts, or at least in a private chat. Not everyone wants to see that. You can also get reported for making a naked toon. ERP with minor children characters will also get you reported.

-In CO, Magic and Technology are pretty much equals... and can also be rivals. Don't be surprised if you meet just as many magic-godmoders as you do tech-gogmoders.

-Don't make a copyrighted character and expect people to be friendly.

-I advise making a PRIMUS page for your character. You can load all the details you want in there.

-Careful with functional emotes like dance, wave, salute, whatever. A lot of people don't realize that when you are clicked on someone, and you walk away and do these emotes- it spams up the chat box. It's a quick ticket to getting ignored (and chat-banned for 24 hours).

-Don't get trigger happy with ignore. Even if you don't like their roleplay. If someone's chatter just doesn't suit you, get away or ask them to cool it first. Ignoring someone can get them chat-banned for 24 hours whether you intend to or not.

-Don't spam your powers in social areas. It's annoying. Also, if you can, don't let AoPM run in social areas. I for one hate that droning sound.

-At least give a brief explaination of your powers in your bio. If you can read minds suddenly, but there's no info on that at all- not really sure if you're blowing smoke up our butts. For all we know, ten minutes ago you were a pyromancer or a ninja.

-As a silver, ask someone if they can send you a temp Supergroup invite so you get an extra costume slot. I advise a 'standard costume' and some 'chill clothes', but other people do things differently.

-Don't let people beat you up about lore. Yes, there are some decent things you should know about it (especially if playing a paranormal character), but otherwise CO half-uses Hero Games' lore, so no reason you should fret about it more than half-assed.

-Careful with the wings. Just a personal request. They end up ALL UP IN PEOPLES' FACES if you get close and it's... well, it's funny sometimes.

-There be trolls about. Again- yes, there are trolls. They target RPers. It's a fact. Probably had the same in CoX. Ignore them, they eventually go away. Don't curse them out. Just ignore them.

-If in doubt, just ask someone. Most roleplayers are helpful. Some... are jerks, but even I can help someone out with something or point you in the right direction.
  • Options
    championshewolfchampionshewolf Posts: 4,375 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Uhh, cyber I dunno if you ever played CoH, but you couldn't throw a stone without hitting a catgirl in CoH, so dunno why you are warning CoH players about that. It pretty much rained catgirls over there.
    Champions Online player since September of 2008, forumite since February of 2008.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    vorshothvorshoth Posts: 596 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I also offer the hand of welcome to all CoX roleplaying refugees, even though I'm basically nobody and have nothing to offer you. :)

Speaking of roleplaying, I really ought to actually start doing it myself. I've thus far found it more fun just to watch the CORP roleplayers do their thing from a hidey hole nearby.
    [SIGNATURE REDACTED]
  • Options
    canadascottcanadascott Posts: 1,257 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    A document I recently posted may be helpful, though to RP vets much of this will be old hat.

http://co-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?p=2340871#post2340871
    /CanadaBanner4.jpg
  • Options
    gornintheusagornintheusa Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Club Caprice Seems ok when i first visit it atleast its Role play Friendly i like to rp as a a snake man Rambo Character :cool:
  • Options
    nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Had a laugh in Club C a few days ago with some new peeps .Was talking to a grim dark dragon and then well Cleopatra walks up to bar well I was having none of that hussy :O

I also foam fingered a werewolf and hit the bouncer over the head with a broken bottle. All in all a normal night for Nepht in the club.
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • Options
    vraithalvraithal Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    im currently downloading the game as we speak, my in game chat handle is guna b @Vraithal with the same name toon, hope i get the same welcome here in CO as i felt i belonged in COH i grew up there as a child into the adult i am today. near 7 years i played the game, so as i log into this different world that is strange and welcoming i would happily accept any help you guys can offer to make the transition easier for me.
    *R.I.P my beloved COH you saved me from many a depression in RL*
  • Options
    tenebrisnoxtenebrisnox Posts: 43 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    A document I recently posted may be helpful, though to RP vets much of this will be old hat.

http://co-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?p=2340871#post2340871
    I honestly never quite enjoyed COH (nor it's lore but that's a different matter I believe), but I do realize the process can be hard for long-term players (for whatever my words are worth).

I've tried roleplaying quite a bit over the course of my stay here in Champs, and even trough I'm not experienced I can say that the CORP community is frankly awesome. It has a lot of friendly players, and I've got no doubt most CoH roleplayers will find a niche there (villain roleplaying is a bit more complex but not non-existent). The Champions Universe is versatile and flexible enough to make space for most kinds of origins allowing to translate most CoH characters with ease (except for those who follow specific events of the setting).

Also, just to give credits where it's due, Thundrax/CanadaScott made this CO Lore Primer (thanks a lot by the way, even if I was already familiar with the setting), which should be useful for most newcomers.
  • Options
    zachkaryzachkary Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Sorry to post to an old thread, but coming over from CoH and having a rough start finding other refugees. Joined the Paragon thread, but not much chatter going on. Any suggestions you can offer would be great ! Thanks :).
  • Options
    cptvanorcptvanor Posts: 274 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    zachkary wrote: »
    Sorry to post to an old thread, but coming over from CoH and having a rough start finding other refugees. Joined the Paragon thread, but not much chatter going on. Any suggestions you can offer would be great ! Thanks :).

If you're looking to get into the RP I'd recommend checking out CO Role Play
    http://championsonlineroleplayers.shivtr.com/
  • Options
    arimikamiarimikami Posts: 475 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Uhh, cyber I dunno if you ever played CoH, but you couldn't throw a stone without hitting a catgirl in CoH, so dunno why you are warning CoH players about that. It pretty much rained catgirls over there.

In Pocket D on Virtue, the catgirl population became self sustaining. In one day, I saw six different catgirls that all said they'd been concieved, born, and rasied entirely in Pocket D in their bios. I also met someone that claimed to be a catgirl breeder. Never found out if he meant he was breeding them together or if... you know... he was nailing them. Some things are better left a mystery.
  • Options
    cptvanorcptvanor Posts: 274 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Going to throw this out, saw it mentioned last night in CORP that a CoX refuge didn't know about this yet...

http://www.primusdatabase.com/index.php?title=Main_Page

It's the same thing basically as Virtuverse was for CoX. A Wiki for posting your characters with extended bio's and the like.
  • Options
    epeleskerepelesker Posts: 307 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Just a word of caution about the PRIMUS, coming from a former CoH vet that's using it.

Be aware that the moderators there prefer that you don't reference properties other than Champions Online within its contents, explicitly mentioning this on the top page and in the Help sidebar link as something to avoid. Links to outsources like Virtueverse or Titan Network's Ouroboros Portal are fine and encouraged.

I'm personally taking a detached stance on the whole transition as of yet, RP-wise: with the exception of one character inspired by my main alt in City to a slight degree, I've just plainly started over. I've bluntly stated to at least one person I'm trying to stay away from the temptation of using CoH, in any amount, as a crutch in concepting and development.

But with that said, players, you need to find whatever balance you feel is right for you and your characters. If you feel that you're doing it right by yourself, that's all that matters.
    ----
    Heroic Roleplayer @epelesker | PRIMUS Database Moderator | Brigade Advocate
  • Options
    hollychan99hollychan99 Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Hi, I just joined Champions Online. After many years of playing CoH, I took a break. When I came back, I found that CoH had closed its doors. I am excited to start my new Super Hero carrier in Champions Online, but I find myself back to feeling like a total "noob"....

Is there a sort of "Champions Online Guide for CoH Players"???

I would like to find a super group that is primarily West Coast based, so where do I start looking?

I also have about a-million-and-one questions about how Champions Online functions... like how do teams work when players are different levels? ...what is really the difference between archetypes and freeform characters? ...are there any ads/disads to either? ... etc...

Any who, any advice would be most welcome.

Thanks for the post!
    Cheers,
    ~hollychan99
  • Options
    bwdaresbwdares Posts: 1,517 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Hi, I just joined Champions Online. After many years of playing CoH, I took a break. When I came back, I found that CoH had closed its doors. I am excited to start my new Super Hero carrier in Champions Online, but I find myself back to feeling like a total "noob"....

I would like to find a super group that is primarily West Coast based, so where do I start looking?

I also have about a-million-and-one questions about how Champions Online functions... like how do teams work when players are different levels? ...what is really the difference between archetypes and freeform characters? ...are there any ads/disads to either? ... etc...

Thanks for the post!
    Cheers,
    ~hollychan99

Welcome to Cahmpions.
    Start here for SGs http://co-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=107
    Were you part of a SG in COH?
    #Mechanon!(completed) #New Zones! #Foundry!
  • Options
    savagedeaconsavagedeacon Posts: 219 Arc User
    edited January 2013

Thanks for the post!
    Cheers,
    ~hollychan99
    If You want an help for planing the creation of your chars here there is a char creator
    http://powerhouse.nullware.com/powerhouse.html
    then you can post your char on this forum for advice
    The real difference between FF and AT is: AT are premade char (with 2 power slots less than FF) that can perform a given role, for escample tank, and that role only.The FF , instead are fully costumisable and you can give them any power that you want and misc them from different power set and they can cover any role. In fact by the end of the game you will have 6 different builds and anyone of them could be dedicated to a different role. On the minus side is difficult for someone new to the game to create an effective FF. Maybe you would better off starting with an AT and once you have learned the ropes to retrain it into a FF