test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Limits on old gold character storage - can't make new char?

2»

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Posts: 1,156,071 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Glad I found this post despite having to read through the fan boys responses to silver players concerns.
    I already converted my highest level toon against my better judgment. Taking a year off and jumping in at level 31 as a new archetype was a bit intimidating and I found myself logging out instead choosing anything. It was also disappointing that he was shown in a great costume I had made later, but when I converted him he was in the first costume I had made. It was almost unbearable to look at.
    Long story short. Converting/(deleting) my old gold characters to silver is not an option for me, creating multiple accounts is another option I'm not willing to pursue. Creating two new silver characters from scratch is what I was hoping for. Glad to see this is what Cryptic has intended.
    Cya after the patch.
    edited January 2011
    had the same problem as all of you.

I had 6 of my old toons with costumes I liked and could not click on the 2 button to create a silver subscription guy.

So I detled a couple of my gold toons thinking that was the problem. WIth 4 gold guys left I still can't make a silver guy.

bummer
    edited January 2011
    Lexeme wrote:
    In the worst case you should only need to convert or delete one character. The way it is supposed to work is that the first 6 gold slots you have do not count against your two silver slots. If you have exactly 8 gold characters you'll have no open slots. If you have 7 gold characters, the first six don't count, so you have one open silver slot and one used slot that's being occupied by a gold character. There is a bug right now that will be fixed ASAP that's causing this calculation to not happen correctly, so it thinks you have 2 silver slots period, but this is not working as intended and will be fixed as soon as possible.

I was hoping that this was the case. Anyway I hope this is fixed because I do want to experience the game with a new character. The conversion is a nice idea but going into a "new" game in the middle makes up for a confusing playtime.
    edited January 2011
    It's looking like it will be some time next week. Looking forward to it. Log in every day to check and my gold characters are just sitting there taunting me. LOL But... had time to re-setup my signature. :-)
    edited January 2011
    Wow, really? Yes I am desrepecting all my fellow brothers in arms. {rolls eyes} I am not even going to lower myself to explain this one.... (and I am in IRAQ right now thank you)

Good for you. Been there done that myself, a couple of times. I am one of your "brother in arms" so, though you :rolleyes: it doesn't mean it's not true. I know the conditions in Iraq right now and you aren't hurting. I'm really surprised though that you would flippantly use the previous description to explain your woes of your video game experience...
    edited January 2011
    Sooo can we please get an update on this?
    edited January 2011
    Why not create a new account for FTP?
    edited January 2011
    Good news, everybody!
    RoBoBo wrote:
    Silver Players can now create a Silver Character if they have Seven or less characters on the account. If you have more then seven characters on your previously Gold account you will need to reduce the number down to seven in order to create your Silver Character.

This is excluding any purchased Character Slots.

You will probably still have to delete one or a couple of toons, but certainly not as many!

EDIT: Bah, Ninja'd because of my laziness.
    edited January 2011
    So what about earned character slots? You earn a free character slot for every character to lvl 40, or is that not true for silver accounts?

I honestly don't think I would enjoy any of my current characters if I had to convert them to an archetype, I don't want to create a new account simply to play silver characters for two reasons, one, friends, two, honestly it seems like cheating the system. If I have to go around the system for bad programing or decision making on their part, thats just bad.
    edited January 2011
    Aoi wrote:
    So what about earned character slots? You earn a free character slot for every character to lvl 40, or is that not true for silver accounts?
    Silvers do not earn free slots for leveling characters to 40 like all the subscribers do. I'm not sure if the subscribers lose those slots or not when they downgrade to silver tho.
    edited January 2011
    Is there an ETA on this getting fixed?
    edited January 2011
    It's a good thing this free2play thing wasn't designed to bring back ex-customers.

Because it's failed in flying ****ing colors at that.
    edited January 2011
    Visivicous wrote:
    Is there an ETA on this getting fixed?

Early this week is when the patch goes out I believe.
    edited January 2011
    Thanks for putting up on the PTS for players to test. Hopefully everything works as it should and the patch will be up next week. Then I can create a second silver character and play the game from the beginning.
    edited February 2011
    I have a gold status and i cant log into my silver, i dont want to convert my silver because what if i dont want to be gold forever, i guess my question is if you convert a character from silver to gold can you convert them from gold back to silver?

*question answered*
    edited February 2011
    Vexien wrote:
    I have a gold status and i cant log into my silver, i dont want to convert my silver because what if i dont want to be gold forever, i guess my question is if you convert a character from silver to gold can you convert them from gold back to silver?

*question answered*
    From what I understand, you can only convert a character once, whether you convert it from freeform to archtype or vice-versa. They are supposedly planning to add an item to the store you can purchase that will let you convert it more than once.
  • azarias123azarias123 Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Instead they have given you plenty of options to play for free, either by converting your existing characters to one of the free archtypes, or by making a new account and starting new characters. I am sorry if you feel alienated by this system, but that is due to your own flawed sense of entitlement, not my or Cryptic's doing.

I don't think you are fully understanding what people are saying. It's not simply converting a character to a free archetype. You have to delete characters that you may have spent months on to free up the silver slots. The gold and silver slots are the same. You don't have 2 silver slots AND "x" gold slots. You have 2 silver slots only if you've deleted all of your gold slots.

I'd say that's a pretty big xxxxing inconvenience. Most of these guys are luckier than me though. I came back to see how the world is and all of my old characters are gone. I've been scouring these messages for hours to try to find out why. That's pretty inconvenient.

I really wish that Champions would see how City of Heroes did their F2P. It is fantastic. While CoH isn't as good gameplay wise as Champions, their F2P model is far superior. I dropped 20 bucks on CoH just to check out some new stuff.

I think I've given Champions enough of my time already trying to figure out how to make their poor F2P choices worthwhile.
  • jinniahjinniah Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    For me the problem is, I was a gold member ages ago. Since then I made a couple of silver characters. I wanted to reroll one of them so I deleted her.
    Now when I go to make one in that vacated slot I'm getting a "No Available Character Slot" error... when clearly I had the slots to make a silver character in the first place... :confused:
  • dekleindeklein Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    jinniah wrote: »
    For me the problem is, I was a gold member ages ago. Since then I made a couple of silver characters. I wanted to reroll one of them so I deleted her.
    Now when I go to make one in that vacated slot I'm getting a "No Available Character Slot" error... when clearly I had the slots to make a silver character in the first place... :confused:

i am having this exact same problem