test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Blaze and "Please Change This Name To Anything Else"

crypticbuxomcrypticbuxom Posts: 4,595 Arc User
I am completely serious about this, Cryptic. Don't go through with keeping the character's name as Freon.

The people who chose the winners probably wasn't aware that there already was a Freon in the game when they picked it. Just change the villain's name to one that doesn't already belong to a character already in the game who has the exact same powers.

I'm sure you wouldn't like a D.E.F.E.N.D.E.R. or Dr. D.E.S.T.R.O.Y.E.R. walking around in the game too.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    xeirosxeiros Posts: 119 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I think you aren't crying hard enough. Sob like you mean it.
  • Options
    cynicoolcynicool Posts: 160 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Actually, I'd love to see Freon and F.R.E.0.N. go at it for who has the rights to the name.

After they were done, they could fight. :cool:
    10dsf81.png
  • Options
    nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    cynicool wrote: »
    Actually, I'd love to see Freon and F.R.E.0.N. go at it for who has the rights to the name.

After they were done, they could fight. :cool:

Pretty sure the original would beat the fridge monster to death with its own door :D
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • Options
    roughbearmattachroughbearmattach Posts: 4,784 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Gotta agree--pretty lousy that they have the same name.
    Is there even a little QA in this game?

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.
  • Options
    taintedmesstaintedmess Posts: 446 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I like it personally and vote to leave it as is.

Also I fail to see how this is a QA issue?
  • Options
    sockmunkeysockmunkey Posts: 4,504 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I say they put the entire thing on hold until Fryguy (the winner) actually logs on long enough to contact Cryptic and personally change the name. You know....as he was requested to do.

We should see the alert some time before the sun explodes. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    itsbrou#5396 itsbrou Posts: 1,778 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    This doesn't have to be complicated.

Cryptic can contact the user and see if they want to change their mind. If they don't, things can just move forward.
    Brou in Cryptic games.
  • Options
    pwkampfykaufmannpwkampfykaufmann Posts: 253 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    This doesn't have to be complicated.

Cryptic can contact the user and see if they want to change their mind. If they don't, things can just move forward.

That hasnt really worked. Isnt Fryguy inactice? :rolleyes:

I also vote to change it. The fire chick's name is Kenina Blaze, so change the guy's name to... <Name> Frost, for example. Right now it just looks silly, no matter if they name him Freon 2, Freon II, F.R.E.O.N, or any other variation of it.
  • Options
    itsbrou#5396 itsbrou Posts: 1,778 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Ah, but what you quoted is working. They're moving forward with it.
    Brou in Cryptic games.
  • Options
    podsixpodsix Posts: 53 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    How about: Freon Bale?
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    Ah, but what you quoted is working. They're moving forward with it.

That doesn't mean it's the best solution for it though. It just looks... lazy right now. Look, the general playerbase probably doesn't even know about the contest and also not who won it. Now imagine a new villain with the same name as the real Freon showing up. There are gonna be 2 different reactions:

1. "Is Cryptic stupid? There is already a Freon!"

2. (After someone tells them about the contest and the story behind the 2 Freons) "Is Cryptic stupid? They let an entry with the same name win?"

You know the outrage we had in the forums. It wont be any different in the 'wilds'. It's not like we, and by we I mean Cryptic, the game itself and the community can afford anymore bad publicity, can we?
  • Options
    lokikinlokikin Posts: 624 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    podsix wrote: »
    How about: Freon Bale?

Oooooo, I like that!

Speaking of puns, when is Mumsy back from Holiday?

:smile:
    _._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._

M-O-O-N, that spells @Rhyatt

Originally Posted by mijjestic: Ultimately, though, MMO players throwing stones at each other in this fashion is basically one nerd pointing and laughing at another nerd whose glasses are thicker.

Laws yes!
  • Options
    arblaquearblaque Posts: 158 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    He's a mutated refrigerator they should have taken the obvious rename route with Frigid Air.

the Blaze and Frigid Air alert
    Formerly known as NewAgeKnight in the Forums of old.
  • Options
    ukatoenasniukatoenasni Posts: 224 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    You know the outrage we had in the forums.

I've got an issue here, and that's the way the verb tense here is. This thread continues to point out people are still outraged about this in some capacity, and are still willing to continue to argue about it.

Cryptic has made it somewhat clear that they're sticking to the decision in the face of this, and I'm not sure why people are still somehow thinking they might change their minds. They've had plenty of time to, and they don't seem interested. It's moved into wasted time and effort now, but people still seem perfectly fine going off the handle at the drop of the hat any time anything related to the contest pops up now.

Doesn't seem rational to me, frankly. I'm still not happy about it, either, but in light of all the evidence we have, I don't see any point in being upset given the apparent futility of it. If other people want to, that's fine, but I don't think there's anything gained by pretending people have stopped being mad about it. The evidence doesn't support that kind of statement.

[SIGPIC]Also, this poster rambles.[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    khoraxgatorkhoraxgator Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I've got an issue here, and that's the way the verb tense here is. This thread continues to point out people are still outraged about this in some capacity, and are still willing to continue to argue about it.

Cryptic has made it somewhat clear that they're sticking to the decision in the face of this, and I'm not sure why people are still somehow thinking they might change their minds. They've had plenty of time to, and they don't seem interested. It's moved into wasted time and effort now, but people still seem perfectly fine going off the handle at the drop of the hat any time anything related to the contest pops up now.

Doesn't seem rational to me, frankly. I'm still not happy about it, either, but in light of all the evidence we have, I don't see any point in being upset given the apparent futility of it. If other people want to, that's fine, but I don't think there's anything gained by pretending people have stopped being mad about it. The evidence doesn't support that kind of statement.

I don't see it as irrational at all. I don't think they are complaining with the intent of changing Cryptic's mind at this point, as much as showing that they are dissatisfied with A. the initial decision and B. Cryptic's decision to ignore the userbase. Right now there's a general forum culture that Cryptic has stopped listening to those in the forum. While I'm not saying that this is true, there is still good, logical reasoning behind it.

This is about an underlying issue that many players feel is hurting the game. Whether this actually exists is moot, merely the acknowledgement that they are working on improving these issues is relevant. When the few scraps of information provided is largely negative, it distances the playerbase and makes them wonder 'Is there anything positive going on? Why is it taking so long to get to the good stuff?'
  • Options
    rokurocarisrokurocaris Posts: 1,074 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    That hasnt really worked. Isn't Fryguy inactive? :rolleyes:

He wouldn't happen to be from one of the banned countries, is he?
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    I don't see it as irrational at all. I don't think they are complaining with the intent of changing Cryptic's mind at this point, as much as showing that they are dissatisfied with A. the initial decision and B. Cryptic's decision to ignore the userbase. Right now there's a general forum culture that Cryptic has stopped listening to those in the forum. While I'm not saying that this is true, there is still good, logical reasoning behind it.

I disagree - I don't think holding onto an issue in light of long-term facts on the subject is exactly healthy. It encourages a lack of objectivity about the situation, and encourages a sour attitude to other things that may only be tangentially related. I also don't see much of a point in complaining about something just to complain about it (note - it's an implication picked up in your word choice and phrasing; It may be an inaccurate observation on my part, but something worth discussing all the same) as it ruins the chances of actually having any good, meaningful discussion on the subject.

If we were discussing it instead of just kvetching about it, I'd have less of an issue, but that's not been the case for a good long time. People have made it clear they don't want to discuss it. They also don't want to discuss the lack of communication from Cryptic or even consider why it may be happening (it's a smaller development team that may just not have the time to realistically devote to such things - particularly the CO development team in specific), they just want to complain and rage about it. Attempting rationalization encourages nothing as people generally don't seem to want any of it.

I'd hesitate to call that 'good' reasoning, though there is a warped sense of logic to it that quite frankly I refuse to address as anything but petty. There's also the fallacy that lack of response equates to a lack of reading and understanding. We honestly don't know how much Cryptic does or doesn't read the forums, how quickly they can realistically act on any feedback within their current development schedule (which in and of itself seems somewhat erratic and forced), and the grand majority of people wouldn't believe Cryptic if they were honest about it anyway. It happens in any development team. People believe what they want and refuse to accept any information to the contrary.
    This is about an underlying issue that many players feel is hurting the game. Whether this actually exists is moot, merely the acknowledgement that they are working on improving these issues is relevant. When the few scraps of information provided is largely negative, it distances the playerbase and makes them wonder 'Is there anything positive going on? Why is it taking so long to get to the good stuff?'

This highlights a lot of the problems with the viewpoint, honestly. The problem is, no matter what Cryptic says, people will never change their personal opinion of the answer to the question presented at the end.

As to this, there's just a certain point where you have to accept that something is most likely not changing. We can throw up walls of text about the matter all day (and have been ever since the contest finished and the winners were announced), but at the end of the day it's nothing but regurgitating the same exact arguments and complaints that Cryptic has already heard. If they're not going to change anything on their end, continuing to throw the same words at the proverbial wall is unlikely to change the wall's opinion about them. All it leads to is mounting irritation and frustration on both ends of situation and that doesn't exactly seem a lot better from my point of view.

What more can people say on the matter that they haven't already?

• Options
    edited July 2012
    He wouldn't happen to be from one of the banned countries, is he?

He may be, I really dont know. :confused:
    But I think I remember someone had pointed out he had been inactive even before the great hammer of banning was brought out. This may or may not be true, unless Cryptic points out in any way that they have heard of Fryguy (they said they contacted him about the Freon problem), we can only assume, that he

A) Didn't bother at all, ie. not checked his mail/the forums/whatever.

B) Didn't care about giving 'Freon' another name.

C) Refused to give 'Freon' another name.

I cant really imagine C, so I guess (My own personal opinion, nothing else.) he simply does not give a ****. And yes, I am kinda upset about this, because of the message it sends but also because (I'll admit it.) I am still jealous. So yeah, as ukatoenasni said people are still mad about it right now. I'm one of them.
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    So yeah, as ukatoenasni said people are still mad about it right now. I'm one of them.

Hey, don't get me wrong. I'm still pretty pissed off about the whole thing myself, the difference is... I got out all of that when the contest ended, and let go of the matter because there wasn't a lot else I could say at that point that other people weren't already.

Letting go in no way, shape, or form implies forgiveness or forgetting. However, I'm not really going to let my subjective bias stop me from at least attempting to be objective about it (though it may stop me from really having my heart in the matter). It frustrates me, frequently, that other people are perfectly fine being that petty without realizing the side effects of it.

That, I am more than willing to argue until the end of time.

• Options
    edited July 2012
    Hey, don't get me wrong. I'm still pretty pissed off about the whole thing myself, the difference is... I got out all of that when the contest ended, and let go of the matter because there wasn't a lot else I could say at that point that other people weren't already.

Letting go in no way, shape, or form implies forgiveness or forgetting. However, I'm not really going to let my subjective bias stop me from at least attempting to be objective about it (though it may stop me from really having my heart in the matter). It frustrates me, frequently, that other people are perfectly fine being that petty without realizing the side effects of it.

That, I am more than willing to argue until the end of time.

No hard feelings. :smile:

Anyway, back to topic:

I simply dont like the fact that we have two Freons running around, when it would be a simple matter of changing the name to anything equally fitting. Sure, I can see that Cryptic does want to respect Fryguy by keeping the villain as close to the entry as possible, but I also think it is a matter of mutual respect and in my opinion Fryguy has lost this courtesy by not caring about the entries at all after he gave them into the contest (at least as far as we know; if he's in one of the banned countries, cant access his account or something like that, matters are different of course). As it stands, I really cant see a reason why the name shouldn't be changed without Fryguy's say-so, if it benefits the game or community in any way.
  • Options
    smoochansmoochan Posts: 2,564 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Fridge
    Repairman
    Entitled to
    Own
    Name

Champions Online: Be the hero you wish you could be in a better game.
  • Options
    tharkantharkan Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Maybe they should keep the name but change the spelling, like how DC has the hero Nightwing and the obscure villain Nite-wing.
  • Options
    captainhunter1captainhunter1 Posts: 409 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    arblaque wrote: »
    He's a mutated refrigerator they should have taken the obvious rename route with Frigid Air.

The Blaze and Frigid Air alert

I like it!

Really how hard would this be to do? (if there is some copyright against this, then what about Frosty Air - - or just 'Frosty'? The Blaze and Frosty alert...)

Seriously, another Freon is just dumb.

Heck, for that matter why not just use the real 'Freon replacement' name - - R12 or R22 etc.
    http://autorefrigerants.com/ :biggrin:
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    tharkan wrote: »
    Maybe they should keep the name but change the spelling, like how DC has the hero Nightwing and the obscure villain Nite-wing.

I like that. Fry-On as a homage to his creator. :biggrin:
  • Options
    crypticbuxomcrypticbuxom Posts: 4,595 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Maybe they don't want to change his name since they probably want to use the sound bite for the regular Freon alert.
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    Maybe they don't want to change his name since they probably want to use the sound bite for the regular Freon alert.

Possible, but it's a custom Alert isn't it? Those never had an announcer like the regular ones. Rather the villains 'introduced' themselves.
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    That doesn't mean it's the best solution for it though. It just looks... lazy right now. Look, the general playerbase probably doesn't even know about the contest and also not who won it. Now imagine a new villain with the same name as the real Freon showing up. There are gonna be 2 different reactions:

1. "Is Cryptic stupid? There is already a Freon!"

2. (After someone tells them about the contest and the story behind the 2 Freons) "Is Cryptic stupid? They let an entry with the same name win?"

You know the outrage we had in the forums. It wont be any different in the 'wilds'. It's not like we, and by we I mean Cryptic, the game itself and the community can afford anymore bad publicity, can we?

Zone will implode under the pressure of the plebs wanting Freon 2 renamed to Grond 2.
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
  • Options
    bioshrikebioshrike Posts: 5,491 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I was bored, so I decided to look up 'FREON' - it's DuPont's brand name for a fluorocarbon... so how about we call him that? :tongue:
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • Options
    towershield#4714 towershield Posts: 1,208 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    The only method of protest I have left for this poorly named villain is to simply not run the alert he's in. I'd try to encourage others to do the same but that's about as effective and futile as complaining about something on the forums.
    ___________________________________________________________________________________________
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    "Chlorofluorocarbon is attacking! Come quickly, we must save the city! And the ozone layer!"
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    jonsills wrote: »
    "Chlorofluorocarbon is attacking! Come quickly, we must save the city! And the ozone layer!"

I've got it! We could name him Chloflubon!!!

wut?

EDIT: I just tried to say that... I think I broke my tongue...

Originally Posted by mijjestic: Ultimately, though, MMO players throwing stones at each other in this fashion is basically one nerd pointing and laughing at another nerd whose glasses are thicker.

Laws yes!
  • Options
    canadascottcanadascott Posts: 1,257 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I'd suggest contacting fryguy again and giving him a couple of more weeks to respond to the name change request, and if he doesn't by then -- provided he's not in a region blocked country -- change the name for him.As he should have known this was coming from the message where the winners were announced, he has had more than enough time.
    /CanadaBanner4.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    I'd suggest contacting fryguy again and giving him a couple of more weeks to respond to the name change request, and if he doesn't by then -- provided he's not in a region blocked country -- change the name for him.As he should have known this was coming from the message where the winners were announced, he has had more than enough time.

I agree, he has had more than enough time. Because of that I disagree that he should be given another couple of weeks...

If the alert is ready, change the name and move on...

Laws yes!
  • Options
    wacky99wacky99 Posts: 115 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Call him Halide / Icebox / Chillbane / Deep Cycle Frost Free / ... whatever.

Stuffy on the old CO forums. PWE ate my username.
  • Options
    azzamacazaazzamacaza Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I say we compile list of new names for "I-refuse-to-call-him-Freon" and then vote for one of them.

I don't think this "Fryguy" fellow would mind if we change it.
  • Options
    cynicoolcynicool Posts: 160 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Let's call him Voldemort.
    10dsf81.png
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    cynicool wrote: »
    Let's call him Voldemort.
    Well, except that this guy is "He-Who-Must-Be-Renamed", so Voldy doesn't really fit... :wink:
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    angelofcaineangelofcaine Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Rename the alert to: "Blaze & Frost" and call it a day :rolleyes:

With the new UNTIL report out we've got ALOT of more important things to focus OUR attention on :cool:
    __________________________________________________O.P.T.I.O.N.S.
    | ME | A "Guide" Book" | | I, have a "DREAM! | ( Member since Feb 2008 ) ... ?
    [SIGPIC]http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b132/AngelOfCaine/STILLS/Misc/CO-Sig_01e.png[/SIGPIC]
    Were there any specific reason for that personal attack other than that your opinion differs from mine?
  • Options
    neuraldamageneuraldamage Posts: 590 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    The only method of protest I have left for this poorly named villain is to simply not run the alert he's in. I'd try to encourage others to do the same but that's about as effective and futile as complaining about something on the forums.

I'm onboard with this... :biggrin:

People are broken. - Lum the Mad
  • Options
    lotar295lotar295 Posts: 903 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Rename the alert to: "Blaze & Frost" and call it a day :rolleyes:

With the new UNTIL report out we've got ALOT of more important things to focus OUR attention on :cool:

yea those are pretty good simple names,and the until report has alot more stuff that we should be concerned and or hyped about.
  • Options
    supercollider75supercollider75 Posts: 74 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    shame it's a trademarked name, but I quite like the name "S.M.E.G head" :biggrin:
    edited July 2012
    azzamacaza wrote: »
    I say we compile list of new names for "I-refuse-to-call-him-Freon" and then vote for one of them.

I don't think this "Fryguy" fellow would mind if we change it.

And if he does who cares \o/
  • Options
    florghhhflorghhh Posts: 52 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    One thing i am confused about with this entire controversy....

They said in the winner notice that they wanted him to rename it, and i will mention, by the context, it sounded more like, they will have it renamed no matter what, to avoid clones. Yet now they stuck with it, but yet... didn't they change Blazes first name? I'd have to look at the original posts to confirm, but i remember someone mentioning they changed her name from kenina to karina or something, so if it's true, they will gladly change the name of the first boss, but for some reason kept the name of the character that has sparked this entire issue, which is just rubbing the salt into the wound as they show they'll rename a villain if they want, but still leave that one.

Also, wouldn't it have loosely been a matter of copyright, two ice villains named Freeon, with the clone doing the evil deed of breaching role play conventions by narrating what a pre-existing champion does to him, discrediting witchcrafts own capability of magic by accidently turning him into it?
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    florghhh wrote: »
    *snip*

Also, wouldn't it have loosely been a matter of copyright, two ice villains named Freeon, with the clone doing the evil deed of breaching role play conventions by narrating what a pre-existing champion does to him, discrediting witchcrafts own capability of magic by accidently turning him into it?

So wut ur saying is Witchcraft is responsible for all the copyright infringements we see in game. People dont make clones SHE turns people into clones @_@&quot;

Thats some bad JuJu she has.
  • Options
    roughbearmattachroughbearmattach Posts: 4,784 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Of course, another solution is that the Champions' first Freon is simply never used again.

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    If they ever do a another design a villain comp I have this great idea for a villain called Dr Destroyer thats pure win \o/

This is indeed /isarcasm.
  • Options
    rokurocarisrokurocaris Posts: 1,074 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Of course, another solution is that the Champions' first Freon is simply never used again.

That's a really dumb idea: Removing an established character in favor of a fan creation that pretty much stole his name. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    That's a really dumb idea: Removing an established character in favor of a fan creation that pretty much stole his name. :rolleyes:

Got any ideas of your own or are you just going to mock everything being put onto the table here?
    ___________________________________________________________________________________________
  • Options
    smoochansmoochan Posts: 2,564 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Got any ideas of your own or are you just going to mock everything being put onto the table here?

You have to admit... on that front, it was a pretty stupid idea... pushing lore-based content out of the way for some joke villian. Mocking it is probably the right thing to do... both the idea, and the create-a-villian.

Furthermore, you have to realize, there's a good 87.4% chance that rough's idea was full of sarcasm.

Champions Online: Be the hero you wish you could be in a better game.
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    smoochan wrote: »
    You have to admit... on that front, it was a pretty stupid idea... pushing lore-based content out of the way for some joke villian. Mocking it is probably the right thing to do... both the idea, and the create-a-villian.

Furthermore, you have to realize, there's a good 87.4% chance that rough's idea was full of sarcasm.

That "stupid idea" is still a far more worthwhile contribution to this thread than the eloquent editorials the denizens of the peanut gallery have provided so far.

It's not a completely terrible idea, it just needs some adjusting. Instead of replacing Freon entirely just alter his costume with hints taken from the fan-made outfit. Add something to Freon's recent character history to account for the change in look, sudden dramatic boost in power and why he's teamed up with Blaze rather than his usual Viper cadre and now you have something I could get behind.