Install Arc
Options

Blaze and "Please Change This Name To Anything Else"

2»

Comments

• Options
    pwkampfykaufmannpwkampfykaufmann Posts: 253 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    That "stupid idea" is still a far more worthwhile contribution to this thread than the eloquent editorials the denizens of the peanut gallery have provided so far.

Well excuse us, princess. :rolleyes:

Why should we change the existing Freon? It's not like he has been around since 1982, is a villain regularly encountered in the game, in Alerts as well as in SL (which is now also free for Silvers, so that's also no excuse) and Fryguy didn't bother to look it up. He even had time to change the name: He didn't bother (apparently). There is only so much courtesy one can and should show and Fryguy really had enough.

Also: If one can believe the posts in the PTS forums, they have changed Kenina Blaze to Karina Blaze, either accidentally or because there was something wrong with Kenina. If they can change that name, why not tackle the 'bigger' problem in the same way?

EDIT: Thanks Thundrax.
  • Options
    canadascottcanadascott Posts: 1,257 Arc User
    edited July 2012

Why should we change the existing Freon? It's not like he has been around for who-knows-how-long

IIRC, Freon in the PnP dates to 1982, from the Escape from Stronghold adventure supplement.
    /CanadaBanner4.jpg
  • Options
    towershield#4714 towershield Posts: 1,208 Arc User
    edited July 2012

Why should we change the existing Freon? It's not like he has been around for who-knows-how-long and Fryguy didn't bother to look it up. He even had time to change the name: He didn't bother (apparently). There is only so much courtesy one can and should show and Fryguy really had enough.

Also: If one can believe the posts in the PTS forums, they have changed Kenina Blaze to Karina Blaze, either accidentally or because there was something wrong with Kenina. If they can change that name, why not tackle the 'bigger' problem in the same way?

There's a difference between constructive feedback and what amounts to a waste of bandwidth.

And nobody has said the current Freon "has" to change. I offered that up as an alternative to the idea of replacing him completely.
    ___________________________________________________________________________________________
  • Options
    pwkampfykaufmannpwkampfykaufmann Posts: 253 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    There's a difference between constructive feedback and what amounts to a waste of bandwidth.

And nobody has said the current Freon "has" to change. I offered that up as an alternative to the idea of replacing him completely.

Thanks again.

No, from my point of view the problem lies with the new Freon. If we just look at it from a point of efficiency, then the simplest thing would be changing Freon II to something mentioned in this thread (I personally liked Frost, maybe with another name to match with Kenina Blaze) and be done with it. Editing the existing Freon to incorporate elements of the new one seems like much more effort, so why bother with it? And I also have to say that changing an already existing character from the PnP IP, because someone who won a fan-contest and refuses or doesnt care about changing the name of his creation (as far as we know) isn't really respecting the IP.
  • Options
    smoochansmoochan Posts: 2,564 Arc User
    edited July 2012

We don't need an alternative to an idea that was initially most likely offered up in complete sarcasm.

The alternative idea itself is basically what amounts to a waste of development time.

Hey here's an alternative idea.... go in, select F.R.E.O.N., hit "delete", then type something else. Wow, that was hard.

Champions Online: Be the hero you wish you could be in a better game.
  • Options
    ashensnowashensnow Posts: 2,048 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    smoochan wrote: »
    We don't need an alternative to an idea that was initially most likely offered up in complete sarcasm.

The alternative idea itself is basically what amounts to a waste of development time.

Hey here's an alternative idea.... go in, select F.R.E.O.N., hit "delete", then type something else. Wow, that was hard.

Another option, one that would entail even less waste of developer time, is to let things stand.

Some moron of a supervillain chose a name that someone else was already using, and refused to change it.

Big deal. Kick his **** and get over it.

Its not as if players havent been creating near clones of established CO characters by the dozens, hundreds, or more for three years now.

'Caine, miss you bud. Fly high.
  • Options
    towershield#4714 towershield Posts: 1,208 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Thanks again.

No, from my point of view the problem lies with the new Freon. If we just look at it from a point of efficiency, then the simplest thing would be changing Freon II to something mentioned in this thread (I personally liked Frost, maybe with another name to match with Kenina Blaze) and be done with it. Editing the existing Freon to incorporate elements of the new one seems like much more effort, so why bother with it? And I also have to say that changing an already existing character from the PnP IP, because someone who won a fan-contest and refuses or doesnt care about changing the name of his creation (as far as we know) isn't really respecting the IP.

Editing the existing Freon and scrapping the fan character seemed preferable to the idea of replacing him with the fan character entirely. It's not like there isn't a precedent for changing things in the IP anyway. Look at Vanguard and Kevin Poe.
    ___________________________________________________________________________________________