• Options
    greensparkzgreensparkz Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Thanks! Now I've regained a bit of personality! xD
  • Options
    wesleytansgwesleytansg Posts: 863 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Testing if it works because it seems to remain as defender from my view

Oh cool, it displays correctly on the post though.
  • Options
    azariel78azariel78 Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Testing 1, 2, 3.

Not that I'm an avid poster or anything, but I do like an avatar.
    --

-- You rock! -- b(~_^)d -- You rock! -- b(~_^)d -- You rock! --
  • Options
    silviumcsilviumc Posts: 50 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Yay for custom avatars. :D
  • Options
    mystagoguemystagogue Posts: 322 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Testing new avatar
  • Options
    c3rvand0c3rvand0 Posts: 403 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Thanks for this, totally unintuitive method of adding custom avatars :(
    _______________________________________________________________________[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    beldinbeldin Posts: 1,708 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Hm .. ok .. i have finally linked my account .. now how do i get my Vanguard Title here :confused:

[edit]
    Ok .. found it in the "standard" Avatar page
    [/edit]
    R607qMf.jpg
  • Options
    podsixpodsix Posts: 53 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    c3rvand0 wrote: »
    Thanks for this, totally unintuitive method of adding custom avatars :(

They're working on getting it installed in the User CP. This particular bit of clunkiness is temporary.
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    podsix wrote: »
    They're working on getting it installed in the User CP. This particular bit of clunkiness is temporary.

I am surprised that they allow custom sigs and not custom avatars as standard. They should have foreseen the need for custom avatars as well. The whole custom interface is a mess, spread over two different pages which makes it unintuitive. Why have both edit Avatar and User CP affect how our identity is displayed? They should include the edit avatar under User CP and be done with. Better late than never I suppose.
    _______________________________________________________________________[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Hello peeps.

hooo, boyyyy...so ugly....
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    podsixpodsix Posts: 53 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    c3rvand0 wrote: »
    I am surprised that they allow custom sigs and not custom avatars as standard. They should have foreseen the need for custom avatars as well. The whole custom interface is a mess, spread over two different pages which makes it unintuitive. Why have both edit Avatar and User CP affect how our identity is displayed? They should include the edit avatar under User CP and be done with. Better late than never I suppose.

It seems that PW was "caught by surprise" with the STO forum transition, that players really felt attached to the avatars they'd had for years. From what I've heard, most other PW forums allow signatures, but don't allow custom avatars. So when STO was shoved into that model, well.. the players balked, and the admins did their best, once corporate approved the changes, to adapt the site as quickly as possible.

What this meant for STO, was that things were rough at first, and got better aver the week as time wore on and they worked through a long list of user submitted complaints.

CO, having it's transition a week and some later, reaped some benefit by getting most of the same features as the STO board (though it's clear there's still some work to do to get both user experiences matched up.)

So for now, we've got to use a "back door" to upload custom avatars.. until such time as the guys at site A, can get the guys at site B to change the default code to enable it.
  • Options
    cynicoolcynicool Posts: 160 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    So for now, we've got to use a "back door" to upload custom avatars.. until such time as the guys at site A, can get the guys at site B to change the default code to enable it.

A forward-thinking team would have saved the code from STO to apply to here, seeing as they should have expected another outcry.
    10dsf81.png
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    It seems that PW was "caught by surprise" with the STO forum transition, that players really felt attached to the avatars they'd had for years. From what I've heard, most other PW forums allow signatures, but don't allow custom avatars. So when STO was shoved into that model, well.. the players balked, and the admins did their best, once corporate approved the changes, to adapt the site as quickly as possible.

What this meant for STO, was that things were rough at first, and got better aver the week as time wore on and they worked through a long list of user submitted complaints.

CO, having it's transition a week and some later, reaped some benefit by getting most of the same features as the STO board (though it's clear there's still some work to do to get both user experiences matched up.)

OK, thanks for that, don't play STO and didn't visit the old CO boards much recently after getting perma banned for cracking a mild joke at Cryptic's expense. Strange they didn't realize how popular custom avatars are as in CO, especially since most people had at least their own main hero's profile. However, I am grateful they responded quickly.
  • Options
    ashensnowashensnow Posts: 2,048 Arc User
    edited July 2012

The need to use workarounds and the like in order to get a desired feature back to us sooner rather than later is perfectly reasonable at the coder end of things.

The fact that such a workaround was necessary in the first place is what is unreasonable.

'Caine, miss you bud. Fly high.
  • Options
    beldinbeldin Posts: 1,708 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    cynicool wrote: »
    A forward-thinking team would have saved the code from STO to apply to here, seeing as they should have expected another outcry.

STO also only has this unofficial Link for Custom Avatars. That link was posted there somewhere
    by their CM Brandon. And thats how i found the page here, just tried the same link that they
    have in STO. So they have indeed used the same code as in STO.

Its just still work in Progress here and in STO Forums.
    R607qMf.jpg
  • Options
    nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    flyingfinn wrote: »
    Hello peeps.

hooo, boyyyy...so ugly....

Yes yes it is very very ugly :(
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • Options
    ruyinaruyina Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Behold! Ruyina the not-so-present-on-the-forums is testing her avatar!

Edit: Test complete. Now back to my corner... Also -- thank you to all those who sorted this out!
  • Options
    mersenneprimemersenneprime Posts: 110 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Did I do it right?

Why does it (annoyingly) show defender in the upper left now that I'm using a custom avatar?

In the game, I'm @Knickknacks.
  • Options
    elsawhitworthelsawhitworth Posts: 58 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Nice, good to be able to customize the avatar. No offense to the champions artists, but I'd like something a bit more me than a generic pic of an npc.
  • Options
    wingedkagoutiwingedkagouti Posts: 565 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Did I do it right?

Why does it (annoyingly) show defender in the upper left now that I'm using a custom avatar?
    I think so.
  • Options
    mersenneprimemersenneprime Posts: 110 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    So, why defender in the upper left next to the "edit avatar" thing, or is that just another example of the poor design?

At least this time it added the lame signature. :p

In the game, I'm @Knickknacks.
  • Options
    warcanchwarcanch Posts: 1,078 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Does it take a while to see the new sig/avatar?

Because, the sig is in, but can't change my avatar to my CUSTOM one. I have uploaded my pic to My Profile pic, but it retains the Defender pic for my forum avatar.

-=-=-=-=-=-(CO in-game handle: @WarCan )-=-=-=-=-=-
    "Okay, you're DEAD, what do you do NEXT?"
  • Options
    valerionwolfvalerionwolf Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Testing the avatar + title.
  • Options
    zerojadzerojad Posts: 149 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Testing avatar picture, i guess it works.

Thanks th3gr4ndnagu5

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

@ZetBuster
  • Options
    angelofcaineangelofcaine Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I'm really beginning to think this this sig pic thing hates me :redface:
    OMG! It worked :eek:
    __________________________________________________O.P.T.I.O.N.S.
    | ME | A "Guide" Book" | | I, have a "DREAM! | ( Member since Feb 2008 ) ... ?
    [SIGPIC]http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b132/AngelOfCaine/STILLS/Misc/CO-Sig_01e.png[/SIGPIC]
    Were there any specific reason for that personal attack other than that your opinion differs from mine?
  • Options
    evilmasta1evilmasta1 Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    So I don't have to have a champions avatar, bonus...

Now only if we kept out @signs
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The artist formally known on the forums as @CapsLockRAGE
  • Options
    lordxenitelordxenite Posts: 172 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Yay, it works for CO and STO as well it'd seem! :biggrin:
  • Options
    sigmaseven0sigmaseven0 Posts: 714 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    testing ...............

PVP is starving without rewards

1. Please give us Daily PVP missions that reward Questionite.
    2. Please give us an exchange rate between Acclaim and Recognition so that PVP has access to all "On Alert" PVE rewards.
  • Options
    chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
    Thank you thank you thank you, I have my furry mental case back... I mean cat inventor

* hands over bag of triple choc chip, cholesterol special cookies*
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

• Options
    blazer2001blazer2001 Posts: 109 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Thanks for sharing the information :smile:.
    I'm the ruler of the fire power.
  • Options
    spellchekcspellchekc Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Glad to see people found this option lurking about!
    August 28th!
  • Options
    xcaligaxxcaligax Posts: 1,096 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Hey guys I have a question about signatures. I see other people have gotten theirs up and with good quality too. The problem is that despite me having the same parameters based on what they are asking, it gets resized to something of lower quality. Would like some insight on this. Thanks guys.
  • Options
    mrvyngaardmrvyngaard Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Thanks for restoring us to custom avatars and sigs, Cryptic. It is appreciated.
  • Options
    dikawolfdikawolf Posts: 77 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    xcaligax wrote: »
    Hey guys I have a question about signatures. I see other people have gotten theirs up and with good quality too. The problem is that despite me having the same parameters based on what they are asking, it gets resized to something of lower quality. Would like some insight on this. Thanks guys.

Save to a png file to prevent jpg degragation. Also reduce the colors of the image to index 256, then bring it up again to RGB before saving. That will lower the file size dramatically without loss of quality. At 80x80 there isn't many colors in there anyway. Hope this helps!

Edit: Oh you meant the signatures (misread), pretty much the same deal. Though mine's a gif file.
    Be sure to check out my DeviantArt page!
  • Options
    chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Now the next question is.

Has anyone found where the character lists are lurking now, since the old link no longer works. :redface:
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

• Options
    jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    chaelk wrote: »
    Now the next question is.

Has anyone found where the character lists are lurking now, since the old link no longer works. :redface:
    The character lists are lurking on Cryptic's servers. Unfortunately, apparently PWE's servers don't play well with Cryptic's, so we can't get that info here - yet...
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
  • Options
    vincyrevincyre Posts: 88 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Such annoyance for such a simple option...
  • Options
    foulolronfoulolron Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Posting to see if my Avatar change works ...

EDIT
    Whoop it did. Many thanks for this OP. Now to sort out a new sig ...
  • Options
    gpexiagpexia Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    First attempt.
  • Options
    cptmillenniumcptmillennium Posts: 449 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Checking to see if it worked...
    edited July 2012
    Test post, please disregard.

Ashlocke was my original forum name but was unable to keep it during the PW forum migration. *Shakes Fist* :frown:
  • Options
    biggreenorkbiggreenork Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    hmm Testing - nope didnt work

got it now - done ^^
  • Options
    flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Seems to be working just fine..
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
  • Options
    polecat42polecat42 Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    This is a test... this is only a test...

Edit: Cool, it worked. It didn't show at the top, so I wasn't sure. Thanks for posting this!
  • Options
    battybattybatsbattybattybats Posts: 777 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I dont get why this was hidden away so much.
    the Volterrific Dr Cerebellum?
  • Options
    klittyklitty Posts: 1,545 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I dont get why this was hidden away so much.

I need to confess how much I love your avatar!! :redface:

=^ _ ^= Kitty Lives!
  • Options
    ectooneectoone Posts: 46 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    testing, testing, 1...2...3
  • Options
    madsamuraimadsamurai Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited July 2012

Victory! Thanks for the help. I'll keep the link to this thread in my sig :)
  • Options
    pallihwtfpallihwtf Posts: 677 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Thanks a bunch. Also added my super old signature, that actually applies now. Again.

edit: zomg sig ain't working. Oh well.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    @Pallih in game
  • Options
    liphook2liphook2 Posts: 41 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Woo.. found out about this a while ago.. see my signature..

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

customise: avatar or signature
    (thanks to r9xchaos for the tip!)

>Profile options editor< (including timezones, posts-per-page, etc.) - thanks to jonsills