test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Do you think they need to improve the graphics?

jedite2012jedite2012 Posts: 334 Arc User
edited August 2012 in Champions Online Discussion
Especially the cut screens look awful, their mouths are out of sync, they are invisible sometimes, glitchy npc

also targeting enemies are a pain because you sometimes cant click them
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by jedite2012 on

Comments

• championshewolfchampionshewolf Posts: 4,375 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    No, they don't need to improve the graphics, though talk animations could be better, it's not exactly the easier thing in the world to animate.
    Champions Online player since September of 2008, forumite since February of 2008.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • bjturnerbjturner Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    The cutscenes are rough, yeah. But overall, I think the graphics are just fine.

[SIGPIC]Yeah, I'm blakerefuge.[/SIGPIC]
  • nextnametakennextnametaken Posts: 2,212 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    They could remove cut scenes where larger enemies only end up being
    "Behold my mighty groin" with their shoulders and head and sound bubble completely cut off the screen.

Leaving it that way is so lazy.

We could just get rid of those cut scenes.
    Do the voice over, do a hud overlay, do a big old 'splosion or teleport effect or bad guys all a-taunting.

Drives me nuts:
    Loading screen cut scene loading screen cut scene loading screen cut scene.
    If it was new and exciting cut scenes that told me some epic story, ok, but its the same damned to
    hell scenes of idiot NPCs mouthing nothing worth reading over and over day after day.
  • cynicoolcynicool Posts: 160 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I used to have the most hilarious .gif of Witchcraft talking. I wish I knew where it went, and it wasn't readily apparent when I tried Google searching for it.
    10dsf81.png
  • jedite2012jedite2012 Posts: 334 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    yeah the loading screen is annoying especially when it is in the middle of patching
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • meedacthunistmeedacthunist Posts: 2,961 Arc User1
    edited July 2012
    Improving graphics? No. Though game client as a whole could use some optimalisation.
    Improving facial animations? Yes. Current ones are little more than bad joke.
    Improving facial models? Yes, STO has it much, much better, from sliders to textures.
    Deleting cutscenes? YES. Either this or make it skippable.
  • nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I'd be much happier if they just improved the voice acting :/
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • agentnx5agentnx5 Posts: 1,999 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Improving graphics? No. Though game client as a whole could use some optimalisation.
    Improving facial animations? Yes. Current ones are little more than bad joke.
    Improving facial models? Yes, STO has it much, much better, from sliders to textures.
    Deleting cutscenes? YES. Either this or make it skippable.

I agree :smile:
  • kenpojujitsu3kenpojujitsu3 Posts: 1,320 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Yes the graphics need to be improved so that the game reasonably mimics the look of the comic books it draws inspiration from...wait a minute...
    Freeform Builds Directory (Last updated: 04/23/2016)
    Serving since September, 2009 / 65 Characters, 63 Level 40's
  • angelphoenix12angelphoenix12 Posts: 313 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    i think they could button up a few of the graphic bugs. otherwise i dont think so.
  • mawaynemawayne Posts: 82 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I think the current graphics are fine. Two areas I'd like to see improved are: 1) facial animations and 2) more voice-overs.
    The graphics look good to me. Though I begin to think Valerian Scarlet's greatest power is that floating ribbon of hers, it's defied the devs for years now.
  • slowecsl4pweslowecsl4pwe Posts: 221 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I love the graphics for this game. At least to me, it truly captures the comic book look and feel.

Apathy is on the rise, but nobody seems to care.
  • megaskullmonmegaskullmon Posts: 313 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    They need to fix the memory dump but they also need to make it so that this game dosen't chew up video cards this game kills them easy.
  • secksegaisecksegai Posts: 1,354 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    nepht wrote: »
    I'd be much happier if they just improved the voice acting :/

The graphics I can deal with. The voice acting....
  • youganyougan Posts: 117 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    they need to change the whole graphic standard of the game, for now it feels like playing a temporary alpha where the textured still need to be added for finish work.
    the best thing they can do is both change the textures so it looks more drawn and less filled with bumping effects and they need to make it cell-shade so the comic feeling is real.

ps. i do agree that the voice acting need some improvements, listening to a sound-box is getting really annoying.
  • neuraldamageneuraldamage Posts: 590 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Cutscenes, yes.

Graphics no. Probably the only thing about CO I've never felt the need to carp about. :wink:

People are broken. - Lum the Mad
    edited July 2012
    to be honest i think they were lazy with that part, i was watching a cut scene and i couldn't see all of the speech bubble, it was cut off on top of the screen
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • squidheadjaxsquidheadjax Posts: 51 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Graphics are pretty good, honestly. I'd rather see them fix up some graphics bugs like the floating wrist ribbons though.
    SQUIRREL!
    edited July 2012
    oh and another thing, can they at least make it so you know who is attack you, i was up on top of the building, no enemies could see me, i then start getting shot at, i looked down and there was the enemy, make the aggro more realistic please instead of enemies killing you from very far away
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • mystagoguemystagogue Posts: 322 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I'm more than happy with the graphics in general. As others have mentioned some fine tuning may be needed here and there, otherwise it's fine.

As far as cut scenes go, I'm actually more of a fan of the storyboard style/non animated cut scenes. I understand that many of them are necessary (to set up NPC positions and whatnot in encounters), but I'd rather just have the comic panel/story board style (with improvement on voice acting as mentioned). And yes, whenever it can be skipped (such as the new crafting) it needs to be skip-able.
  • beldinbeldin Posts: 1,708 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    mystagogue wrote: »
    I understand that many of them are necessary (to set up NPC positions and whatnot in encounters), but I'd rather just have the comic panel/story board style (with improvement on voice acting as mentioned). And yes, whenever it can be skipped (such as the new crafting) it needs to be skip-able.

I say that is bull**** .. the setting up NPC argument. After all its a program and they can
    do that in less than a second, the same as they place our characters in line elswhere at
    the end of the City Hall alerts for example.

And a lot fo cutscenes were skipable when i started playing that no aren't anymore, like
    for example Foxbattle at the Network Stars
    R607qMf.jpg
  • kharma23kharma23 Posts: 403 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    The graphics look good to me. Though I begin to think Valerian Scarlet's greatest power is that floating ribbon of hers, it's defied the devs for years now.

Thank you! This drives me crazy. :biggrin:

I swear her ribbons were attached correctly when I first did that mission string, have they always been disembodied like that?:confused:

You're a lunatic with a mad man's dream of a milk proof robot!

Unless it's making Ethnic Stereotype Land (that is, Westside) less cringe-worthy. That I could almost get behind.
    SQUIRREL!
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,318 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Which do you want? Improved graphics, or your not-absolutely-top-end graphics card to survive? You only get one...
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
  • nightr0dnightr0d Posts: 450 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    jonsills wrote: »
    Which do you want? Improved graphics, or your not-absolutely-top-end graphics card to survive? You only get one...

I would not mind better graphics.

Weird thing is there seems to be something wrong with the world detail distance option. I set it to max and I notice that some textures don't load completely unless i'm about 30ft from them :eek:. I have no idea what is going on:confused:
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,318 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    nightr0d wrote: »
    I would not mind better graphics.

Weird thing is there seems to be something wrong with the world detail distance option. I set it to max and I notice that some textures don't load completely unless i'm about 30ft from them :eek:. I have no idea what is going on:confused:
    What's going on is that you're overtaxing your computer's display capabilities. I find that setting it to about half gets me a good distance view, but still lets my system load in the graphics in a timely fashion.
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    edited July 2012
    jonsills wrote: »
    What's going on is that you're overtaxing your computer's display capabilities. I find that setting it to about half gets me a good distance view, but still lets my system load in the graphics in a timely fashion.

I highly doubt my GTX 670 DirectCU II TOP is the problem here. I doubt this game can't be run on max with a 500$ GFX card. That would be absurd :eek:
  • kenpojujitsu3kenpojujitsu3 Posts: 1,320 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    nightr0d wrote: »
    I highly doubt my GTX 670 DirectCU II TOP is the problem here. I doubt this game can't be run on max with a 500$ GFX card. That would be absurd :eek:

It's likely not your card. I have 2 5870's in my machine which are on par with your single card when used together. Despite CO not being the most graphically demanding game based on how it looks it DOES make my graphics cards heat up (and relatedly makes their fans spin at a higher rate) more than any other game I have.
    Freeform Builds Directory (Last updated: 04/23/2016)
    Serving since September, 2009 / 65 Characters, 63 Level 40's
  • bdragon4cobdragon4co Posts: 121 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I would rather have the graphics more optimized than improved. This game has a good casual pull and most people that I know, even gamers, don't own a gaming PC in any form.
    edited July 2012
    It's likely not your card. I have 2 5870's in my machine which are on par with your single card when used together. Despite CO not being the most graphically demanding game based on how it looks it DOES make my graphics cards heat up (and relatedly makes their fans spin at a higher rate) more than any other game I have.

Yeah that's the wieird part. I know it's not my CPU either since I have a 3770k OC to 4.5Ghz so I hightly doubt it's bottlenecked. The game runs extremely smooth it's just that some of those bushes in RenCenter (only noticed on those for the time being) close to where the chairs are (on the sides all around rencenter) don't display from the distance yet once close enough they start to appear and the closer I get the higher the texture quality gets. O_o I got no clue why this is happening. Unless there is some sort of hidded invisible limitation embeded in the CO code that prevents me I can't explain it otherwise.
    edited July 2012
    Yeah i had to not play this game for a year when it first came out because i did not have a good graphics card, i did play it in beta but the graphics looks so pixelated and rugged edges
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • r0nynr0nyn Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    jedite2012 wrote: »
    Especially the cut screens look awful, their mouths are out of sync, they are invisible sometimes, glitchy npc

also targeting enemies are a pain because you sometimes cant click them

Not to be a douche or anything, but most of it isn't simply weak tech or low resolution/polys. The game artists just aren't that good, relatively speaking. The still art is fair enough, but the in-game art, like textures and models are rather poor.
  • zenzenarimasenzenzenarimasen Posts: 185 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    If they did improve the graphics, I would be overjoyed.

HOWEVER, I'm going to be very frank here. It would be a MONUMENTAL waste of resources if they did. It'd likely take a year or so to do it properly and thoroughly, and we're talking about a period in which they won't have time to develop new power sets, new costume sets, new environments, or new ANYTHING. The programmers would likely be caught up overhauling the renderer to be able to support it all too.

So do they need to? No, but it would be nice.
    Should they? No, it would take too much time away from everything else. And this is coming from someone (formerly known as Metallurgist) who has REPEATEDLY said that the Cryptic developers are lazy.

I do however thinkt hey should overhaul the faces for characters in the game. The faces just do not work. If I could make my character's faces look more like the kind you get on Star Trek Online, I'd be a very happy grouch. My main problem is the lips on female characters look entirely too much like wax lips. It's impossible to get the mouth to look right. The eyes are a bit wonky too.
    r0nyn wrote: »
    Not to be a douche or anything, but most of it isn't simply weak tech or low resolution/polys. The game artists just aren't that good, relatively speaking. The still art is fair enough, but the in-game art, like textures and models are rather poor.

Oh come on, Tumerboy's art rocks and we ran him off by grouching all the time. Now he's over on STO making awesome stuff there. Mind you what he's done on STO does look a hell of a lot better than what we have here. I'm blaming the art style, not the artists.

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → Ⓑ Ⓐ
  • r0nynr0nyn Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I don't think it's simply the style. The clothes are often very flat and lacking detail (they have no cloth-like texture, for example, and are instead a smooth surface), the faces have awkward proportions and also lack definition (looking more like plastic action figures than people), the hair is again lacking definition but also has a very solid and blocky appearance more like a helmet, many of the animations look strange and unnatural, the environment transitions very poorly and is riddled with hard and unnatural lines (a cliff coming from the ground, for example), and so on.
  • craybesttcraybestt Posts: 45 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I think the character models are pretty good, but the textures are not, I agree with r0nyn.
    Specially with the hair, some hair models have completely flat textures, just 1 color. and with better textures the game would look much much better.
    I've been playing The Secret World.

The graphics are WAY better, and I'm finding it hard to imagine playing CO more.
    Campaign: The Fenwick Cycle NWS-DKR9GB7KH

Wicks and Things: NW-DI4FMZRR4 : The Fenwick merchant family has lost a caravan! Can you help?

Beggar's Hollow: NW-DR6YG4J2L : Someone, or something, has stolen away many of the Fenwicks' children! Can you find out what happened to them?

Into the Fen Wood: NW-DL89DRG7B : Enter the heart of the forest. Can you discover the secret of the Fen Wood?
  • itsbrou#5396 itsbrou Posts: 1,778 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I think the graphics are fine for what it was advertised to be.

It never wanted to be anything else but simple 4-color with halftones.
    Brou in Cryptic games.
  • bioshrikebioshrike Posts: 5,491 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    zahinder wrote: »
    I've been playing The Secret World.

The graphics are WAY better, and I'm finding it hard to imagine playing CO more.

How much character customization does that game offer? Do *you* dictate how you look, or does your gear? Does it have body and face sliders to the extent that CO has?

If the answer is "less than CO" or "no", then keep in mind that the stuff in CO has to accommodate all different possible combinations of pieces and body scaling. It is much easier to make a character look good if their relative proportions and appearances are limited. Also keep in mind that CO is more than 3 years older than The Secret World, and that it is intentionally going for a simpler, more "4-color comic" look.

IMO, if you disable the comic style outlining and use the /renderscale command, CO can look even better and more realistic...

As for a graphics update, I'd simply like to see the existing costume pieces/sets get a review so they can use all the material types, (metal, leather, cloth), and to have existing clipping and other issues addressed. For instance, many female tops with skin have an issue where the front and back half of the pattern don't match up at the part that goes under the arm (along the sides of the torso). I'd also like to see patterns that only have a top or bottom part get the missing matching part...
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • illuminia87illuminia87 Posts: 41 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    r0nyn wrote: »
    I don't think it's simply the style. The clothes are often very flat and lacking detail (they have no cloth-like texture, for example, and are instead a smooth surface), the faces have awkward proportions and also lack definition (looking more like plastic action figures than people), the hair is again lacking definition but also has a very solid and blocky appearance more like a helmet, many of the animations look strange and unnatural, the environment transitions very poorly and is riddled with hard and unnatural lines (a cliff coming from the ground, for example), and so on.

Not to be a royal-B or anything, but I hate comments like this. Honestly I can understand if the art style is not to your liking, but CO is designed to look and feel more like a comic book, and not so much on the realism side. As far as proportions, well you have dozens of sliders at your disposal, so how "awkward" they look is quite frankly all on you.

If you can provide screenshots of 3D models/environments that look better then CO, while staying true to the art style, please, by all means do share. Otherwise I do think anyone is in a position to say Cryptic's 3D modelers are bad or whatever.

I imho love CO's graphics and think they are vastly superior to essentially every other superhero MMO. I will say however we need new talking animations, I understand it was probably meant to look retarded, but the joke has gone on long enough. No more seizure of the mouth please! :biggrin:
    edited July 2012
    seizer of the mouth lol

i always thought they are eating lol
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • bacardiserrallesbacardiserralles Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Meh. This game needs a lot of things. It's not getting any of them. Accept it and live in peace.

But if I could choose one - well, let's make it two . . .it would be . . .

WALL CLIMBING

and

BLACK AND WHITE POWER TINTING

Make it so!
  • unkomanplusunkomanplus Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I gotta say, the reason I've stuck to CO is, in part, the graphics, the style, and the amount of things you can do with character customization.

I played CoH for a bit and... my god that game was always ugly. Now that it's free I tried it again, but it made me want to stab my eyes out. It also didn't run nearly as well.

DC Online is fancy looking but... it's a bit dull. It doesn't have the same quirky style as Champs. That's the drawing point. I have serious heroes. I have goofy heroes. Many of them I've created years before this game even exists. Champions Online, through massive creation options and fantastic sliders allows me to realize them in the same way I've been drawing them for so long.

They could use a bit of an update on some bump maps (like, how come some costume patterns are links to some maps but others are not? None should be linked, if you ask me), but other than that I think the art style as a whole is pretty darn swell.
  • xvii013xvii013 Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    For me, CO's graphics are fine as well. They even improved right? The textures (locations) are now much much better :biggrin:
  • meedacthunistmeedacthunist Posts: 2,961 Arc User1
    edited July 2012
    I can go with reworked facial animations, textures and sliders - by simply copying these features form STO - as it's an area where CO is seriously lacking. Same goes for hair - as hair models in STO are much, much better than in CO. In general heads for humanoid characters could use improvements.
    But the rest?

Environmental art in CO is ok. Sure, landscape sometimes looks unnatural. Well, like in any other mmo, honestly. It's a nature of the beast. Mmo zones are rarely realistic because of limited space and number of features which has to be included on the map.
    MC looks just fine and indoor maps are well detailed. VB is superb.

Character animations? Also are fine. Not worse than other mmos, EXCEPT facial animation.
    Character proportions? Yes, default models for humanoid NPC have really ugly proportions - heads are too small, bodies are stretched, hands and feets are too large.
    But they are only NPC models and I could't care less about NPC dolls.
    Player characters can be easily customised to the proper eight or seven and half tall proportions. It won't be a really anatomic model but it will be better than in many other games.

Also, game engine needs optimalisation because it's really resource consuming. Though I don't know if any optimalisation is possible - my guess is that CO problems are because of number of active bumpmaps on displayed models, also because maps in big parts aren't baked as a one thing. A lot of things, including buildings, looks like made from separate objects.
    Not to mention characters and creatures models, as these are for sure made from separate objects - it's a price paid for customisation.

But graphics as a whole aren't that bad. Can't really complain about nothing except or performance or character heads.
  • chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I have no problems, with the graphics. I'd like the extra sliders that male characters have.

Fixes- talismans telporting trousers problem. when you teleport or reappear, I've noticed sometimes, the underwear pops up then the trousers/tights/skirts. with talisman, her tights go then her in her underwear goes
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

• klittyklitty Posts: 1,545 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    chaelk wrote: »
    I have no problems, with the graphics. I'd like the extra sliders that male characters have.

Fixes- talismans telporting trousers problem. when you teleport or reappear, I've noticed sometimes, the underwear pops up then the trousers/tights/skirts. with talisman, her tights go then her in her underwear goes

Teleporting panties... Bug or fan service?? :wink:

=^ _ ^= Kitty Lives!
  • chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    female player, T& A on a female, no thanks. Now if we could get some of the male npc's....

*sounds of vomitting from male players* ahhh sweet revenge
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

edited July 2012
    bioshrike wrote: »
    How much character customization does that game offer? Do *you* dictate how you look, or does your gear? Does it have body and face sliders to the extent that CO has?

If the answer is "less than CO" or "no", then keep in mind that the stuff in CO has to accommodate all different possible combinations of pieces and body scaling. It is much easier to make a character look good if their relative proportions and appearances are limited. Also keep in mind that CO is more than 3 years older than The Secret World, and that it is intentionally going for a simpler, more "4-color comic" look.

IMO, if you disable the comic style outlining and use the /renderscale command, CO can look even better and more realistic...

As for a graphics update, I'd simply like to see the existing costume pieces/sets get a review so they can use all the material types, (metal, leather, cloth), and to have existing clipping and other issues addressed. For instance, many female tops with skin have an issue where the front and back half of the pattern don't match up at the part that goes under the arm (along the sides of the torso). I'd also like to see patterns that only have a top or bottom part get the missing matching part...

I have not personally used this command but how exactly would this improve graphics? And what is the range/default values for it? (if you know of course).

Oh and since we are taling a bout graphics and such does anyone know the /command to increase the world draw distance beyond the max displayed in the video options menu?
  • squidheadjaxsquidheadjax Posts: 51 Arc User
    edited July 2012

It's a thing with how transparency works. When a whole character becomes transparent, all parts of the model become visible, so the parts with the most contrast (panties vs. skin, for example) are still there. Idunno how hard it is to implement overall transparency but maintain LoS blocking within a certain set of objects, but I haven't seen it accomplished in Cryptic's engine.
    female player, T& A on a female, no thanks. Now if we could get some of the male npc's....

*sounds of vomitting from male players* ahhh sweet revenge

Hey, I approve of cheesecake and beefcake for everyone!
    SQUIRREL!