test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Strongest and weakest powerset!

2»

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Posts: 1,156,071 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    The mentalist set is pretty bad, but at least celestial is functional on its own(until you need to hit heavy)

I think they skipped on Mentalist and Celestial because they count as paranormal damage... i mean really Im a DPS/ slight support mentalist character, he does just fine. Because of how how broad "paranormal" damage is.

Seraphim's is an excellent passive.

EBF is my characters bread and butter close area attack, chops up everything pretty well.

Telepathic reverb IMO is so damn good that you can run it off 1 mentalist hold and get massive returns all day.

etc..i could go on but but i feel like the entire paranormal thing is just a giant bag of puzzle pieces, you can put them together to form many things that work, in many different niches.
    edited May 2011
    Tie for best:
    Sorcery
    Pet Master

Both will breeze through SL on elite.

Worse:
    Archery

I have never been able to get this power set to work even with all the advice I read on the forums.
    edited May 2011
    Weakest Powerset: Telepathy
    (So underpowered versus anything it's not even funny.)

Most Overpowered Powerset: Dual Blades
    (I've personally observed someone in my own party getting 10x the score of anyone in a public event, whilst being a few levels lower than the highest level player there. And I keep hearing about how amazingly overpowered it is, the powerset of choice for munchkins.)
    edited May 2011
    Strongest: Dual Blades (for pretty much the exact reasons Kenpo stated)

Weakest: Fighting claws (Having no AoEs is problem enough when you are melee seeing as you can't avoid melee mobs' attacks like ranged ST toons can, but combine that with the utterly useless mechanic of shredded vs SB's bleed/rupture and it really is darn-near impossible to level a FC toon without a star average of zero the entire time)

I would also just like to observe that every one of us pays money for a game about SUPERheroes and their SUPERpowers, so whenever I see anyone looking at dual blades or whatever and suggesting that the solution to them being so much more effective is to make the powers *less* SUPER, I have to chuckle a bit. As was said above - I truly believe any changes to address the superiority of one powerset should trend upwards in this game. In other words if people are saying playing DB is so much better than any other FW, then make the other FWs better, not the popular one worse. XD It might make sense in a game like WoW that in the interest of balance they nerf the 'elf' (or whatever fantasy-for-beginners trope they base their races on in that game o.O) but in a game about superheros, for goodness sake the trend should be towards the super, not the average.

Just my $0.02

Peace.
    edited May 2011
    Are we talking a single powerset? Or are we talking a powerset within considerations for a Hybrid build?

If a single powerset, no outside picks, I'm gonna go with Dual Blades/Telepathy.

Dual Blades really isn't all the powerful, it's just extremely well rounded and to the point. You've got a power for everything, single target stinger that even penetrates defense, PBAoE buzzsaw, AoE cone that gives you durability, arguably the best click defense in the game, built in healing, self buffs up the wazoo and a passive offense and defense that when combined with the heal becomes some of the better defense you can get. There are plenty of things other sets do better than Dual Blades, Dual Blades just does everything well.

Celestial isn't that great, sure, but Telepathy is just really anemic. It's got a couple powers with potential for cherry picking, but it's weaksauce as a set. It lacks good single target damage, it lacks good AoE damage, it lacks reliable crowd control, it... ...Basically, has some decent healing and a nice ally shield, and a couple moderately good pets.

If we're talking about sets in relevance to mixing and matching...

I'm gonna say, Might/Telepathy.

Why Might as the most powerful set? Defiance gives some of the most impressive defense in the game and energy which can be used for anything, and Enrage buffs all damage. So if you're going to get your supplementals and other powers you like from other sets, Might gives you an easy ways to manage Enrage, and numerous powers that both allow you to build and maintain enrage as well as do a truck load of damage/utility in the process. Thunderclap is now really, really great. I don't know why I don't see this more often.

And Telepathy... ...Is still just Telepathy. We're talking about hybridizing here, not cherry picking, and while Telepathy has some powers with cherry picking potential, the set as a whole doesn't mesh well with much else, and is still bad on its own. Compared to say, Power Armor, which tends to not play nice with other sets, but is really solid in and of itself.
    edited May 2011
    to bump this thread, and provide my votes; strongest DB, weakest Celestial.
    edited May 2011
    Best self contained power set: Dual Blades <-What all the other power sets should have been. Great powers with workable synergies.

Worst self contained power set: Celestial <-What happens when the devs try to make another "dual blades" and fail miserably when it comes to synergies... and yes, I'd rather play Telepathy with no passive than a full Celestial toon.
    edited May 2011
    Ill say Dual blades is ridiculously strong, 6K hits that can be spammed at no cost. I have to completely drain my energy bar be rooted in place and mix in a couple of powers to do a bit over 3K. Blades are the squishes/offensive passives worst nightmare they die in one hit.

The problem with dual blades is that they get buffed since their "melee" and get kited BUT with so many rooting, holds and flying kicks is really hard to kite in this game. So you have an all mighty 6k hit spammer VS a squishy pea shooter! :mad:

Munitions is on the same boat as archery, it just cant compete now that IDF is main stream. Rapid fire and DoTs become gimped ad a defensive passive and now your immune to munitions while being able to one shot them. Archery at least has some dodge and a good hold.
  • oryonooryono Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Strongest Powerset: Telepathy
    telepathy is very strong its supportive alot the mind is the most best archtype everthe other archtyped are good also but i recconmend mind
  • jorifice1jorifice1 Posts: 588 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Strongest: Freeform
    Weakest: Freeform

'Wen considered the nature of time and understood that the universe is, instant by instant, recreated anew. Therefore, he understood, there is in truth no past, only a memory of the past. Blink your eyes, and the world you see next did not exist when you closed them. Therefore, he said, the only appropriate state of the mind is surprise. The only appropriate state of the heart is joy. The sky you see now, you have never seen before. The perfect moment is now. Be glad of it.' Terry Pratchet The Thief Of Time
  • sockmunkeysockmunkey Posts: 4,504 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Strongest: the power to necro

Weakest: Shotgun blast to said necromancy. It just never seems to stop them.
  • flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Kids! If the last post is over year old, (05-27-2011 09:30 AM, just under post #) there's gargantuan probability that no one gives a rats **** anymore about the thread.
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • thesoulstarthesoulstar Posts: 122 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    jorifice1 wrote: »
    Strongest: Freeform
    Weakest: Freeform

xD the irony of this being so true just warms my heart.
    On Call site found here: Project On Call

On Call FAQ found here:On Call FAQ
  • jorifice1jorifice1 Posts: 588 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Strongest: the ability to post after working for 43 hours strait with no sleep.
    Weakest: the ability to post after working for 43 hours strait with no sleep.
    Either way, it leaves you WAY too loopy to notice dates, times, buildings you are about to drive into, weather or not you remembered to wear pants. You know, the little things.
    The absolutely terrifying quantity of Red Bull and 5 hour Energy Shots are starting to wear off now. Passing out at desk soon......

'Wen considered the nature of time and understood that the universe is, instant by instant, recreated anew. Therefore, he understood, there is in truth no past, only a memory of the past. Blink your eyes, and the world you see next did not exist when you closed them. Therefore, he said, the only appropriate state of the mind is surprise. The only appropriate state of the heart is joy. The sky you see now, you have never seen before. The perfect moment is now. Be glad of it.' Terry Pratchet The Thief Of Time
  • beastmagbeastmag Posts: 38 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Strongest: Electric
    Weakest: Archery
  • c3rvand0c3rvand0 Posts: 403 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Strongest: The powerset of the guy who beat you in PvP
    Weakest: the one your toon had who lost
    _______________________________________________________________________[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]