test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Why mass pulling is more efficient in alerts and other content, and why tanks are awesome in alerts.

spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
Ever feel like your tank or healer isn't very useful in alerts? Feel like maybe there's some extra potential you're not utilizing? That's because you're not mass-pulling, and not fully utilizing your survival ability to its fullest.

Mass-pulling means pulling as many NPCs at once as possible - all the ones in the current zone if you can manage it. Doing this is the optimal way to run alerts because of one simple reality: It ensures that everyone's aoes are hitting the max number of targets for longer.

Taking groups one by one means that for part of that fight, often a significant duration, aoes will be hitting less than 5 targets. This is because many of the NPCs are defeated within mere seconds, generally leaving less than 5. On the other hand, if you've already pulled 20+ targets, it means you have quite a few NPCs to burn through before you won't be hitting 5 targets.

So, next time you run an alert or really any content where there's a bunch of NPCs, figure out how many you can pull and keep aggro'd, and then always do that from now on. You'll be helping everyone around you play more optimally o3o7

Comments

• flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited March 2020
    giphy.gifgiphy.gif
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    AoEs generally have a target cap of 5, and if you're running around pulling other groups you're probably pulling your mob around with you, which is inconvenient for the people trying to dps them down. Pulling a single other group that's in range may well improve efficiency, more than that is just being disruptive.
  • jennymachxjennymachx Posts: 3,000 Arc User
    In a premade team where all members can easily hold their own, sure, have at it.

In randoms it's better to clear one mob at a time just for basic consideration for the group, even if there's huge overall DPS. If you're the tank drawing all of the aggro all of the time you're already doing an upstanding job as a tank.
    jennymachx wrote: »
    In a premade team where all members can easily hold their own, sure, have at it.
    A premade will generally kill stuff faster than you can effectively pull it.
  • colonelwingcolonelwing Posts: 297 Arc User
    spinnytop wrote: »
    Ever feel like your tank or healer isn't very useful in alerts? Feel like maybe there's some extra potential you're not utilizing? That's because you're not mass-pulling, and not fully utilizing your survival ability to its fullest.

Mass-pulling means pulling as many NPCs at once as possible - all the ones in the current zone if you can manage it. Doing this is the optimal way to run alerts because of one simple reality: It ensures that everyone's aoes are hitting the max number of targets for longer.

Taking groups one by one means that for part of that fight, often a significant duration, aoes will be hitting less than 5 targets. This is because many of the NPCs are defeated within mere seconds, generally leaving less than 5. On the other hand, if you've already pulled 20+ targets, it means you have quite a few NPCs to burn through before you won't be hitting 5 targets.

So, next time you run an alert or really any content where there's a bunch of NPCs, figure out how many you can pull and keep aggro'd, and then always do that from now on. You'll be helping everyone around you play more optimally o3o7

That's actually a terrible idea. The fastest way to clear an alert is not having a tank, at all.. and single target spike damage, not aoe tickle me Elmo damage. Most tanks cannot hold aggro and if they lure a lot of mobs the DPS team members struggle to survive, especially when they're built for pure damage. Tanks are pretty much deadweights in my opinion, they're killing nothing while getting others killed. In premades, sure.. If slow alert farming floats your goat, more power to you.
  • jenniferloganjenniferlogan Posts: 44 Arc User
    Keep in mind that if you run ahead and gather up a full room before the rest catches up, with too many mobs it can be difficult to hold aggro on all of them. Challenge, damage AoEs, etc. can't generate threat on more than 5 enemies after all (neglecting Ultimates). This can create quite a bit of chaos when 20 out 25 mobs turn around and focus fire on the healer with Sentinel aura the moment he steps through the door.

Of course, if you are yourself the above healer and can survive the beating at least the threat aspect might not be an issue. Efficiency-wise there's certainly a cap due to the target limit.
  • spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    edited March 2020

In randoms it's better to clear one mob at a time just for basic consideration for the group, even if there's huge overall DPS. If you're the tank drawing all of the aggro all of the time you're already doing an upstanding job as a tank.

Well yes, sometimes you have to sacrifice efficiency when dealing with inexperienced people. Of course the best way to find out what the group can handle is to just go ahead and try it and see what happens. Assuming the group can't hold their own doesn't make sense - we're super heroes after all!

In a premade of high performers it's actually more efficient if everybody splits up and solos groups. This is because with that much damage being thrown around players will be wasting a lot of potential damage on charged attacks that never hit, or rotations that were never completed. This is one of the reasons I often break off and solo groups in Grab alerts.
    AoEs generally have a target cap of 5

Yes I addressed the target cap of aoes and how it factors into this strategy. Specifically how aoes are at their most efficient when you're constantly hitting 5 targets.

As for people needing to move, the solution is actually fairly simple: pull everything to a central location instead of to the far end. Then the other party members can simply hang out near the ever-increasing pile of NPCs and aoe to their heart's content at peak efficiency.
    But sometimes tanks are bad.

Indeed, thanks for your input kernal o3o
    That's actually a terrible idea. The fastest way to clear an alert is not having a tank, at all.. and single target spike damage, not aoe tickle me Elmo damage.
    Single target spike damage is a horrible way of clearing large spawns, AoEs are faster than single target for any number of targets above one. Sentinel mastery tanks do make clearing spawns pretty mindless.
  • panthrax77panthrax77 Posts: 309 Arc User
    In my experience it depends on everyone else. In premade, absolutely. With randos, if you've got at least one other good DPS or aoe healer, you can pull maybe 2 groups at a time. Really depends on the composition, but generally 2 "good" players can manage it pretty well, even if there are 3 level 10s with no form or passive.
  • mordray001mordray001 Posts: 218 Arc User
    Yeah... when someone is doing this I generally just give up trying to contribute and wait for them to stop hopping around or die... then I get to work.
    mordray001 wrote: »
    Yeah... when someone is doing this I generally just give up trying to contribute and wait for them to stop hopping around or die... then I get to work.

What do you do when they steamroll the alert while you're leeching? o3o
    panthrax77 wrote: »
    In premade, absolutely.

People keep mentioning premades... do people make those for Grab alerts? I can't imagine anything more boring .-. just queue and go, rando party all the way! o/
  • panthrax77panthrax77 Posts: 309 Arc User
    Well when I say premade, I mostly mean tagging along with a friend or two. Makes the slog more fun at least :P
    The same as in any other situation where one player steamrollers the alert?

The thing your entire argument is missing is that pulling multiple groups takes time which you could be using to kill stuff, and builds capable of surviving that are usually high end builds that can also just do lots of damage.
    I mean, you're going to waste time pulling every single mob inside the Museum instance to one corner, for example?

The instance is structured so that it's more efficient to go through each mob one at a time because the bombs are all spread out and next to each mob.

And if it's Bank, the instance doesn't exactly have a lot of free space to move about to kite mobs seamlessly to a single spot.

I just don't see any real benefit of effectiveness.
    I just don't see any real benefit of effectiveness.

I explained the benefit. It's the thing where your aoes are at maximum efficiency more of the time :)

Also I said pull them to a central location. A corner is not a central location :P
    The same as in any other situation where one player steamrollers the alert?

In my experience most people don't stand there doing nothing in that situation. They follow along and help down stuff faster. So, I don't think your response is very accurate.
    panthrax77 wrote: »
    Well when I say premade, I mostly mean tagging along with a friend or two. Makes the slog more fun at least :P

What slog? :O
    edited March 2020
    Why pull all the mobs in Museum to a central location when it's actually practical to clear each one at a time and defuse the bombs at the same time, since the group has to go each bomb anywhow?

Or does one person run to each bomb while all the mobs are kited to a single location by the rest? The trouble to go through that just so that all mobs can be hit by AoEs at once?

The issue with Bank is that you have long hallways and corners. The time used to kite all mobs to somewhere else could be better spent just clearing the mobs the old fashioned way.

Again not seeing any real point to justify supposed AoE efficiency.
  • speanozspeanoz Posts: 238 Arc User
    My thoughts here are purely subjective and can be dismissed as such for those that want to run an alert at peak proficiency. :)

That said, I think this idea sets a bad precedence. To me, an alert is a digestible instanced "mission" to be handled with teamwork from a group of five (be it a pre-made group or those that queue individually).

Now, I can understand a mindset that believes mass-pulling and following up with AoEs is, in fact, teamwork. In my mind, it isn't necessarily (teamwork), however, and I generally prefer to approach alerts with the implied "one at a time" intent.

At the end of the day I suppose it depends on just how capable the aggro holder is. I don't really desire maximum efficiency with my alerts and play a bit casually, I suppose! :3
    Why pull all the mobs in Museum to a central location when it's actually practical to clear each one at a time and defuse the bombs at the same time, since the group has to go each bomb anywhow?

You don't have to go to the bombs right away. You can do them after everything is blown up. It's actually most efficient that way, rather than trying to do them between pulls.
    The issue with Bank is that you have long hallways and corners. The time used to kite all mobs to somewhere else could be better spent just clearing the mobs the old fashioned way.

Bank is easy. You go into that first room, go to the right, grab that first group, hop through the doorway and aggro the second, then pop back into the first room and head to the left to grab that group. ezpz
    Again not seeing any real point to justify supposed AoE efficiency.

Often when people have mastered content in video games, they then turn their efforts to trying to complete it in ever more efficient ways. Speedrunner kinda stuff. Not for everyone, I understand, and it doesn't have to be!
    speanoz wrote: »
    In my mind, it isn't necessarily (teamwork), however

Why did you put teamwork in parenthesis here?
    Way I see it is fairly simple. If the player who is bouncing around gathering all the mobs or knockbacking all the groups I'm hitting really wanted my help they'd stop bouncing around and stop sending my targets flying.
    In my experience most people don't stand there doing nothing in that situation. They follow along and help down stuff faster. So, I don't think your response is very accurate.
    I've seen plenty of alerts where one person both tanked most of the damage and did more damage than the rest of the team put together. Sure, the other people were following along, but they weren't terribly relevant.
  • theravenforcetheravenforce Posts: 7,065 Arc User
    edited March 2020
    Whilst I see what you are getting at Spinny...I personally feel like there are too many variables which would need to be controlled for this to work efficiently?

I know your proposal tries to counteract them but it may cause more harm than good in the long run. We still have people in alerts who frequently don't pre-block for Baron's major tell when he's about to deflect everything...or Jack Fool's "Any Sharp Object" attack, or overestimate their ability and attract far more attention than can be handled effectively.

There's very little point doing this unless you know everyone can handle it. I'd say, stick to this method if your pre-made is all melee and tanky / benefits greatly from slicing up a crowd.

If NPC's did nothing but used rank 3 energy builder attacks, I could see this being optimal, but when you factor in NPC abilities, knocks, Crowd Control abilities, energy drains etc, at least in my opinion, it starts to punch a considerable hole in the idea.

Unless of course, you take a team into an alert, each with Gravity Driver / Mental Impact, Vorpal Blade, Unleashed Rage etc and just set them off all at once or something to wipe as much as you can...that could be fun, but again...benefits from pre-planning.

Not for Alert team ups (excluding Rad Rumble, go nuts in there IMO). You may just end up causing people to leave the alert. Then you'd be all by yourself, which is great if that's your intention with this.

I've seen plenty of alerts where one person both tanked most of the damage and did more damage than the rest of the team put together. Sure, the other people were following along, but they weren't terribly relevant.

I was responding to someone who said they were going to stand around doing nothing. That's different from "not doing as much damage as another player".
    Way I see it is fairly simple. If the player who is bouncing around gathering all the mobs or knockbacking all the groups I'm hitting really wanted my help they'd stop bouncing around and stop sending my targets flying.

Who said anything about knockback?
    edited March 2020
    There's very little point doing this unless you know everyone can handle it.

Well like I pointed out, only way to find out if they can is to try. An unswung sword is never tested! Or you know something like that.
    Not for Alert team ups (excluding Rad Rumble, go nuts in there IMO). You may just end up causing people to leave the alert. Then you'd be all by yourself, which is great if that's your intention with this.

In all the years I've been doing this ( since I was a silver ) I can count the number of people who left an alert while I was doing this on my two hands, and we can't even be sure how many of them disappeared due to disconnecting. There have been just as many times at least where someone in the party said something positive about the experience (something along the lines of "wow" or "that was fast"). The other hundreds or whatever amount of runs everyone just quietly followed along and did big pew pew, with no qq.

There was one time, very early just after alerts had released, that everyone left and I was left alone in the alert - I had a blast finishing it myself. However, I wasn't on a tank and wasn't mass pulling so I guess that doesn't count - they all left because they were getting steamrolled by the mobs. It's definitely not the goal to make them all leave, and there's really no point to doing that - if I want the solo Grab experience, I get it by running off and soloing whatever groups the other four players currently aren't attacking. When I utilize this strategy, I'm actively pursuing a teamplay experience - this is fairly obvious from the fact that the primary goal of the strategy is maximizing other people's damage output.

So thank you for your concern, but I can assure you from years of experience that you can put those concerns to rest.
    Well like I pointed out, only way to find out if they can is to try. An unswung sword is never tested! Or you know something like that.
    'Testing' people who haven't agreed to be tested is troll behavior.

Who said anything about knockback?

Wonderful... that bit wasn't saved and I failed to notice before hitting submit... glorious.

More importantly... I learned long ago that there was no point to asking people that were engaging in this behavior to stop or modify their behavior because of the 'just shut up and let me do me' mind set most of them have. Rarely have I seen even polite criticism from strangers be taken positively in this game. Usually the only ones the player will permit to criticize them are those they have predetermined as like minded and frequently regarded as friends. The rest of us that dare to complain are just regarded as whiners and frequently publicly belittled.
  • torduvidetorduvide Posts: 23 Arc User
    The thing I don't get is how can you be sure that any of the group's AoEs are going to decide to hit the same mobs as the Tank's AoEs? If there's 20 or more mobs in a drawn together group the Tank's AoEs can only focus on 5 at a time. That leaves a large majority of other mobs that, even with a little hate given by the tank from the initial pull, the other group members can pretty easily aggro just because their AoEs decided they didn't want to hit all the same targets as the Tank even with the Tank or the Tank's target targeted.
  • speanozspeanoz Posts: 238 Arc User

Only to reiterate that I was talking specifically about teamwork. :)
    'Testing' people who haven't agreed to be tested is troll behavior.

How so?
    edited March 2020
    torduvide wrote: »
    The thing I don't get is how can you be sure that any of the group's AoEs are going to decide to hit the same mobs as the Tank's AoEs? If there's 20 or more mobs in a drawn together group the Tank's AoEs can only focus on 5 at a time. That leaves a large majority of other mobs that, even with a little hate given by the tank from the initial pull, the other group members can pretty easily aggro just because their AoEs decided they didn't want to hit all the same targets as the Tank even with the Tank or the Tank's target targeted.

I don't see why you think this. In fact, it would actually be fairly difficult for the tank to only hit the same 5 mobs the entire fight. If you're standing in a group of 20 NPCs even a maintained aoe is likely to be hitting different targets on every tick of damage. On the other hand it's very easy to ensure that you're hitting the vast majority of mobs even in a large group, and if you do see some NPCs turning their attention to players the solution is simple - start hitting those NPCs.

Only to reiterate that I was talking specifically about teamwork. :)

Well, the whole thread is about teamwork, so I think you're good on that :P
    Once again, aoe and mass pulling slows down alerts.. It's not rocket science, dude. You're losing time and damage. The best alert farm team possible is a team made of high spike dmg single target dps. I have done smash marathons ranging from 38 to 45 hours in duration, i have been doing so since on alert release... I know my stuff, unlike you apparently. Please, quit posting for the sake of posting. If a new player reads this bs, they might take it for granted and become a burden to alert teams. Do us all a favor and shut up. You're not as good as you think you are.
    I have done smash marathons.

Smash alerts, known for their large numbers of npcs. Weird flex but ok.
    Once again, aoe and mass pulling slows down alerts.. It's not rocket science, dude. You're losing time and damage. The best alert farm team possible is a team made of high spike dmg single target dps. I have done smash marathons ranging from 38 to 45 hours in duration, i have been doing so since on alert release... I know my stuff, unlike you apparently.
    Well, single target DPS is the best on Soul Siphon and Recruiting Drive because you don't actually need to beat anything but the boss. Dockside Dustup and Two Minute Drill are sped up by some people using AoEs to clear the minions as collateral damage, Trainstopping has enough adds in a small enough area that one tank pulling them all is probably actually useful (similarly, the spawns on the museum steps are pretty closely packed). It's just that once you're going out of your way to pull more groups you're probably wasting time.
    Guys, it applies to all alerts. If you got a high spike dmg team you can just steamroll everything, smash was only the example i chose.. but it also applies to burst and grab. Cut the crap...
    Guys, it applies to all alerts. If you got a high spike dmg team you can just steamroll everything, smash was only the example i chose.. but it also applies to burst and grab. Cut the crap...
    I've done plenty of farming. There are only three valid reasons to use single target damage:
    1. You only have a single target.
    2. You have a high value target needs a high dps threshold to take down (such such as creatures that use healing or shielding).
    3. You can't handle the aggro from hitting more than one target.
    Under any other situations, AoE will be faster, usually much faster, and maintains, because they are less prone to overdamage and disruption, are mostly preferable to charges. Turbo Warlord runs are usually things like Epidemic or Hurricane until the final fight.
  • avianosavianos Posts: 6,022 Arc User
    edited March 2020
    >AOES actually slow down alerts you guys! The powers created to deal MASS DESTRUCTION and take down the Gang mob trash are "slowing down" the action
    >Using Single Targets on bunch of Mobs is considered "Faster"! I WOULD LOVE TO SEE YOU DO THAT IN WARLORD
    >Marathoning SMASH alerts! SMASH ALERTS! The alerts which can be SPEEDRUNNED! Have low amount of mobs and primary completition goal to take down only the BOSS

Holy ****, the Rotting GALAXY BRAIN of bad takes and moon logic misiformation continues
    c53.png​​
    Post edited by avianos on
    POWERFRAME REVAMPS, NEW POWERS and BUG FIXES > Recycled Content and Events and even costumes at this point Introvert guy who use CO to make his characters playable and get experimental with Viable FF Theme builds! Running out of Unique FF builds due to the lack of updates and synergiesPlaying since 1 February 2011 98+ Characters (7 ATs, 91 FFs) ALTitis for Life!

This is simple math. How are you not getting this?
  • gameongameon Posts: 55 Arc User
    if you're running around pulling other groups you're probably pulling your mob around with you, which is inconvenient for the people trying to dps them down. Pulling a single other group that's in range may well improve efficiency, more than that is just being disruptive.

THIS!

Stop pulling everything all around the map! That's just as bad as knocking mobs all over the map.

Melees usually can't hit, nevermind AOE, mobs that are chasing whoever has aggro when they're running all over.
  • scildtrumascildtruma Posts: 76 Arc User
    Its a better play experience IMHO playing with a diverse group of heroes. The by the numbers formula works but is it fun? An honest attempt failed is better than a by the book mindless victory IMHO. It is a game after all. Build your build and play your game. Players with the will can make runs work. I don't care much for the numbers in any case. I don't feel I should have to.
    My lvl 40 champs in random order.

=Pieces of Stuff=Knock Dead=Cruel Yule=Cremator=Toys from the Attic=
    =Gnosis Arcanum=Twenty Seven=Kama D=Critic=Creep Freeze=
    =Mangled Man=G.I. John Doe=2D.=Lung the punch drunk monk=
    =By the sword=Scild Truma=Shadow Puppet=Lu-7=Erysichthon=
    =Nimravid=Buzzard Kill=Lorenzini=Schema=

edited March 2020
    gameon wrote: »
    THIS!

Stop pulling everything all around the map! That's just as bad as knocking mobs all over the map.

Melees usually can't hit, nevermind AOE, mobs that are chasing whoever has aggro when they're running all over.

No part of this involves "pulling everything all over the map" and certainly has nothing in common with "knocking mobs all over the map". This strategy involves gathering NPCs up in one location, which means you don't have to move much at all to find new targets once your current ones go down. It actually produces the opposite result of what you're talking about, or at least that's what the case has been in my experience. When tanks gather everything up, I just sit there blasting into the crowd without moving at all, like shooting fish in a barrel.
    scildtruma wrote: »
    Its a better play experience IMHO playing with a diverse group of heroes. The by the numbers formula works but is it fun? An honest attempt failed is better than a by the book mindless victory IMHO. It is a game after all. Build your build and play your game. Players with the will can make runs work. I don't care much for the numbers in any case. I don't feel I should have to.

Different things are fun for different people. ‾\_(ツ)_/‾
  • warcanchwarcanch Posts: 1,069 Arc User
    Forum Malvanum is a good example of what Spinny is talking about.

Too often I see players separating the might/defiance trio and then the duo (duratok & ironclad) rather than gathering. Then we fail.

-=-=-=-=-=-(CO in-game handle: @WarCan )-=-=-=-=-=-
    "Okay, you're DEAD, what do you do NEXT?"
    edited March 2020
    Premade: Everyone is on the same page. Pull everything. Go crazy.

Randoms: You decide that you take precedence over the rest of the team by pulling everything, be prepared to get flak and/or people quitting the instance. Personally I could give a crap unless the alert becomes more tedious than necessary, but it's still something to keep in mind.

(Would apply to grabs specifically)
This discussion has been closed.