test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

How did you find out about CO?

How did you find out about CO? 70 votes

From some gaming venue
31%
dreamhuntressxlegendarylycan#5411pantagruel01chaelksilvergryphbulgarexblazer2001kaiserin#0958aesicabiffsmackwellbluhmannumaman1990ruukicasualslacksspinnytopandondarkmorethraexischaosdrgnz43markhawkmanavianos 22 votes
From some superhero venue
14%
galactickiriwarhammeredthemightyzenithphasestartheravenforcepanthrax77speanozl7zergebrfabeirassapphiechu 10 votes
From some furry venue
14%
itsbrou#5396lezard21atlassarnosiansolhusetnacito#6758qawsadaretehi#8400thaelab#0927tomthekaiju#8643justbread#7631 10 votes
Other
40%
areeeiamrunesistersiliconjonsillsdraognealford1985jaazaniah1nephtspiderbandit314crusader3025nbkxsaschershadowperipeteiawingedkagouticriswolf09bloomoombadialamxsilentline7sykovguyhumual 28 votes

Comments

• atlassarnosianatlassarnosian Posts: 169 Arc User
    edited November 2019
    From some furry venue
    Originally found out about this game's existence through some advert about Perfect World International since my scalie side found interest in fish people. But then I saw this game, which caught my interest cause I was also still semi into the superhero gig, way before any major interest in the Disney Marvel boom. So I searched for videos online for this on YouTube, and for some reason I ended up on a video called Champions Online - Latin Furry Club On Alert. I was still sorta new to the whole furry thing, so seeing this really caught my eye cause I've never really played a game before where you can be an animal person. Seeing as being a wolf, cat, or shark sparked some imagination in me, so.. after a few months of research of reading more info about it, being skeptical that this was still a pay-to-play MMO since I like had barely any money at the time and couldn't afford subscription services. It wasn't until 3 months later after that video I initially watched released that I finally gave in to playing this. And to this day, I'm still playing after over 7 years with 14,272 hours as of typing this.
    @atlassarnosian
    Banner.png
    Playing CO since August 25, 2012
    Lifetime sub since July 6, 2017

YouTube|Steam|DeviantArt|FurAffinity
    "Don't call me lizard!"
  • ealford1985ealford1985 Posts: 3,582 Arc User
    Other
    Gaming magazine
  • lezard21lezard21 Posts: 1,510 Arc User
    From some furry venue

HAHAHAHAHAHAH OMFG I was in this SG. We then went to play TERA for a while, but Kuko and the others didn't like but I became really hooked into it so I stood there for a couple of years before coming back to CO​​
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    Other
    I saw an ad on Facebook way back before the game went F2P, advertising a free weekend. Having fond memories of playing Champs 3rd Ed in college, I went for it; I found the intro difficult at that point, as it didn't work anything like the game I knew but the ATs weren't a thing yet. Later, when the game went F2P, I got an email, and came to check it out again. After leveling a couple of ATs for a while, I started to get the hang of how powers and advantages worked, and haven't looked back - got my LTS a few years ago, back when you had a choice of which kind of sub you wanted (I'd been monthly off and on for a while, but maintaining enough cash flow to pay for the monthly became a bit of an issue for me).
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • spiderbandit314spiderbandit314 Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited November 2019
    Other
    > @ealford1985 said:
    > Gaming magazine

Same, read an article from around 2008/2009, had seen a helmet'd armored hero in a skatin pose with energy around him and a sword-wieldin Defender and thought this seems super cool. After it became free-to-play i jump'd on around the first blood moon event and the "Celestial"s release. Lost my internet around 2010ish and came back around the "Invincible" and the first or second lockboxs i think. Been on ever since. [Eventually did find out the mysterious hero was Steel Commando usin ego blades and it was a picture in mid-swing with the arms to one direction]
  • atlassarnosianatlassarnosian Posts: 169 Arc User
    From some furry venue
    >[Eventually did find out the mysterious hero was Steel Commando usin ego blades and it was a picture in mid-swing with the arms to one direction]
    Did it happen to be this?
    Champions%20Online.jpg

@atlassarnosian
    Banner.png
    Playing CO since August 25, 2012
    Lifetime sub since July 6, 2017

YouTube|Steam|DeviantArt|FurAffinity
    "Don't call me lizard!"
  • chaosdrgnz43chaosdrgnz43 Posts: 1,674 Arc User
    From some gaming venue
    I saw it on Steam when I was browsing MMOs way back in 2010s. I saw a shark character and I figured I might be able to make my beast characters in the game. Fortunately, it was possible!
    mfZ37eB.png
    Feel free to visit my websites!^^:
    DeviantART|FurAffinity|
    Twitter
  • nacito#6758 nacito Posts: 974 Arc User
    From some furry venue
    I'll be honest
    saw a buff crocodile guy on furaffinity (2015)
    searched the game on steam
    downloaded it
    played it
    and then regretting playing it
    Just another reptile lover, known in game as @nacito
    4hszgc1knoyo.png

This is a big journey, so far if you're reading this, wish you a good day
  • aesicaaesica Posts: 2,537 Arc User
    edited November 2019
    From some gaming venue
    The results of this poll make me hate life.

I saw it as STO's "poor next door neighbor" and tried it out. Loved the customization, but thought it was a mess and eventually left because I hated how messy the gameplay (and energy management in particular) felt. Turns out I just hated ATs, because a free freeform giveaway brought me back and made me start taking it a bit more seriously.
    (Hopefully) Useful CO Resources: HeroCreator (character planner), Cosmic Timers/Alert Checklist, Blood Moon Map, Anniversary Cat Map, and more (eventually, anyway).
  • kaiserin#0958 kaiserin Posts: 3,086 Cryptic Developer
    From some gaming venue
    Saw a preview of the game at Gencon '08 and was impressed by the creator. Been playing since beta!​​
  • hhhuiyhhhuiy Posts: 1 Arc User
    Other
    My best friend showed me this game back in 2013, when I first started getting into computer gaming.

I downloaded it for an entire day on my old laptop and I enjoyed myself. Possibly too much since I now have more hours spent in this game than double his hours. It's impossible for me to say I found this due to a furry venue since I can blame my friend, and this game for me becoming a furry.

Thanks for making me a degenerate CO.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Posts: 4,915 Arc User
    From some gaming venue
    I used to play Freedom Force vs the Third Reich, and I loved that. then one of the people I played STO with suggested I try CO.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • bartthegamerbartthegamer Posts: 7 Arc User
    Other
    Oddly enough, it was because of an old TF2 friend that indirectly pointed me to it.

I once saw that friend of mine that hosted a TF2 community server playing Champions Online and City of Heroes at least once every other day for a while. Seeing "Friend is now playing Champions Online" got me curious, especially since by the time I had asked him about CO, I believe City of Heroes had been recently and officially shut down.

Considering that I was drunk from the power of having the ability to outfit my TF2 loadouts with dumb cosmetics, the idea of a superhero-themed MMO with a ridiculously expansive character creator was interesting to me. I never played another superhero-themed game, which was a genre I was on and off about really, and the character creator just seemed very enticing to me.
    Next thing I knew, I kinda brushed aside the fact that I always thought that I wasn't exactly the most creative individual, and that MMOs were just "bleh" to me after having tried Everquest II, and I gave it a go.

Made a generic Soldier. And then a Grimoire. And then I got frustrated with how weird the controls and key binds were and put it down for about half a year.
    And then picked it back up all of a sudden and I decided to deal with the super weird control scheme and decided to go nuts. And despite how many issues the game has, I find myself satisfied at being able to create my own stories and kinda make fun of some of the quirks the Champions universe has. Even without the quirks, the game had its moments. So I stuck around.
  • spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    edited November 2019
    From some gaming venue
    I think a thingy popped up one day when I opened steam announcing the Champions Online Free-For-All update...either that or I was searching Free-To-Play games on steam and saw it. Either way, saw F2P super hero mmo and was instantly intrigued.

Steam is a gaming venue I guess? or did I just mess up another poll?
  • avianosavianos Posts: 6,028 Arc User
    edited November 2019
    From some gaming venue
    Thanks to Wowfony, formely known as Akamikeb in his new Channel (and a little of MMOHUTs)

During that Period I was looking for a MMORPG with flexible character costumization to create and play with my OCs! CO was perfect

However I didn't start playing myself until a Friend who i told him the game start playing and he wanted to us to play together!
    He didn't last for 1 week and quit playing... but Im still here :grimace:
    onion-20.gif
    https://youtu.be/FKlaV1Wjs-s
    https://youtu.be/HKuXhg6NoR8
    and THEN I became a Furry
    GOTTEM
    👌

THANK YO GIZMO DUCK ​​
    POWERFRAME REVAMPS, NEW POWERS and BUG FIXES > Recycled Content and Events and even costumes at this point Introvert guy who use CO to make his characters playable and get experimental with Viable FF Theme builds! Running out of Unique FF builds due to the lack of updates and synergiesPlaying since 1 February 2011 98+ Characters (7 ATs, 91 FFs) ALTitis for Life!
  • wingedkagoutiwingedkagouti Posts: 565 Arc User
    Other
    I was following the Marvel MMO Cryptic was developing for the Xbox (during a period of downtime with CoH), when that fell apart and was turned into CO I signed up for the forum and beta access asap. Millenium City wasn't even properly in the game when I first logged in, there was only the Desert and Canada as actual zones.
  • itsbrou#5396 itsbrou Posts: 1,778 Arc User
    From some furry venue
    Let's be truthful.

Look at me. Look at this game.

I was playing CoH and didn't think anything better of it, when suddenly I saw people on the forums over there whining about player poaching from Cryptic.

I perused the gorgeous next-gen Champions Online website and clicked on Rate My Champion.

HUBBA HUBBA, I was positively melting from all the wondrous shiny specimens. 😍

I later visited the official CO Coldfront IRC and won a beta key so I could be gorgeous, too, and leave my mitthanding days behind forever. :3
    Brou in Cryptic games.
  • flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    I was here before this game even existed.
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
  • iamruneiamrune Posts: 965 Arc User
    edited November 2019
    Other
    lezard21 wrote: »
    flyingfinn wrote: »
    I was here before this game even existed.

You? Man, same here!

So, I actually attended a tabletop RPG game convention in Houston in early 2008, and Steve Long was a featured guest that year, and he ran Champions. I played in that game, (as Ironclad) and was then voted best role-player at the table, because I role-played Ironclads extreme overconfidence disadvantage, I taunted Ripper and he knocked me out from full stun with one perfectly timed Haymaker.

After the game, I hung out and talked with Steve a while, he was great to get to know and happy enough to entertain a raving old Champions fan, but when I asked about upcoming news, he hinted that big plans were in the works, but he couldn't tell me what they were legally until the deals were finalized.

He did give me a hint, and that hint got my watching Cryptics website closely, and thus I was one of the first two hundered people to see and sign up for the new (at the time) Forums for the Champions Online game on the day it was announced.

I now know the news he couldn't share overtly was the deal being worked on when Cryptic purchased the Champions I.P and licensed it back to D.O.J. in perpetuity for publishing rites of the hero system version of the setting. At the time, the deals also included Microsoft since Champions Online was supposed to launch on the original X-Box. One thing is for sure, at the time, in early 2008, Steve was pretty convinced this was going to revitalize Champions, but alas, this did not come to be.

Later in that same year, around September of 2008, I was invited into the Friends and Family Alpha, and I have been playing ever since. for a full year before it launched, all through the Alpha and the closed and open Betas.

And yeah, in F&F Alpha the Desert and Canada were all we had for a good while. I remember the first time we saw Monster Island, then Lemuria, which was a huge hit, the first time we got to MC which was a much bigger hit, and so on and so forth. I was the alp[ha tester who suggested "pre-mini-zones" so we could do some content that had the illusion of time passing and our heroes actually making an impact on events, which became the Crisis Zones. and so much more. So much more.
  • nbkxsnbkxs Posts: 767 Arc User
    Other
    Someone said, hey, this thing has awesome customization, come try it. So, I tried it. Hated being an AT. Came back six months later to throw a couple points at one of those grab baggie things w/FF slots in them, and got mega lucky and got one.

So, I played w/just one character for years.
    [NbK]XStorm
  • littlemissmarshlittlemissmarsh Posts: 12 Arc User
    Other
    ended up finding about the game when city inploded in on itself so... - about 2012ish.

what can you do? i was on an mmo hunt at the time.

call me kat | she/they/nyan | nonbinary / catgirlgender

I cwose my eyes and seize it! UwU
    I cwench my fist and beat it! OwO
    I wight my towch and buwn it! ☆w☆
    I am the beast I wowship! ΦwΦ

• dialamxdialamx Posts: 931 Arc User
    Other
    After their split with NCSoft and CoX, I heard they were developing the Marvel MMO, so I watched pretty closely. Saw it go from Marvel to the Champions license, and jumped into the closed betas as soon as I was able to. Be here ever since.
  • Other
    I found out about the game through someone mentioning it as good for creating characters for RPGs. I had nothing better to do with my time at that point in my life, so I figured I'd give it a try.
  • vinxbrvinxbr Posts: 161 Arc User
    From some gaming venue
    First time i heard about CO was in another game's forum, around 7 or 8 years ago. if i'm not mistaken.

A guy made a post about this game, and some friends and i decided to try. But we didn't stayed for long, most of us left after a couple days. Honestly, i had liked the game, but my PC was a real potato back in the day, and i couldn't stand the lag.

Some years latter, with a better PC, i was looking for some game with a good customization system, and CO came to mind. And, well, i've been here since then ^^
  • mordray001mordray001 Posts: 218 Arc User
    Other
    If you go by my account date... apparently I've known about this game since before CoX went down... I don't remember it from that time though.

A few years ago I was in a bad place and needed something to lose myself in for a few months. A friend told me about a game that might let me create the very characters I'd been writing about... and it's lifetime sub was currently on sale... so I logged in and ran some characters... then made the purchase... I've basically been here since, minus a few months here or there where I took a break.
    From some gaming venue
    So by the looks of this, in order to be most effective, any future marketing needs to focus on Other.
  • gentlegiantvexxgentlegiantvexx Posts: 321 Community Moderator
    Other
    MMOHuts -> MMOByte​​
  • From some gaming venue
    found STO first, someone there mentioned this game, saw you could make werewolves, figured i'd at least try it about halfway through 2012...ditched it after about 3-4 months because of the unfixed memory leak, the horrible control scheme and ATs, didn't come back until that FF slot giveaway in 2015 and have been mostly around ever since

that is all​​
    #LegalizeAwoo
  • nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    Other

DOOOOOODE most of us learned of CO while playing COH why was that not an option? I mean it is defacto COH2 :P
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • mordray001mordray001 Posts: 218 Arc User
    Other
    nepht wrote: »

DOOOOOODE most of us learned of CO while playing COH why was that not an option? I mean it is defacto COH2 :P

technically that would fit into the gaming venue... though as used I feel that venue isn't the proper word.
  • guyhumualguyhumual Posts: 2,391 Arc User
    Other
    I used to play pen and paper RPGs a lot before all my friends moved away and Champions was one of those games I bought but never got around to playing, fast forward a decade or so and someone I chat with online mentions that they've backed something called Champions Online, and I remembered that old game I never bothered figuring out, and I considered buying the game as well, but then I found out it was a subscription based and I don't do subscription based games. Anyways about a year later I find out that CO is going F2P and the rest is pretty much history, I try it out and end up liking it enough to keep playing for about nine years now.
    From some gaming venue
    nepht wrote: »

Because CoH was bad u3u
  • ambivalentmanambivalentman Posts: 4 Arc User
    Pencil and paper. 1982. My first RPG. Of course I've been waiting for this to exist, and I'm still here (more or less).
    Because of City of Heroes. They gave up and CO came out. CO was much better made but now they seem to have given up. I have to uninstall from this machine. Devs cant match the new hardware and resolutions there capable of.
  • knazzirknazzir Posts: 37 Arc User
    I don't remember how I heard about the game, but I was a beta tester.
  • pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    From some gaming venue
    I wasn't sure which category to use because I first heard about it through the tabletop game, which qualifies under both gaming and superhero...
  • chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    From some gaming venue
    Gamers Guild Perth- Some of my friends were submitting costume ideas.
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

• justicesupremejusticesupreme Posts: 7 Arc User
    Other
    Followed it when it was first announced. I played CoH at the time.
  • jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,428 Arc User
    Other
    One day I was thinking about the old PnP Champions game, Googled on it, found a wiki related to it that reference the online game, gave it a try and have been here since. 60 lvl 40s and counting.
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
  • biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Arc User
    From some gaming venue
    I was playing CoH at the time I heard about Champs. I went to the website and saw some screenshots and canceled my CoH account right away, and waited patiently for the game to launch.

Didn’t know whether to vote gaming or superhero since CoH is both. Who cares
    biffsig.jpg
  • l7zergel7zerge Posts: 14 Arc User
    City of Heroes forums, there were lots of posts about it. Lots of praise for the character creation and combat and salt for the odd plasticy graphics style and weird human faces. I actually got into the beta via a coh forum post. I ended up having to remake a new account at some point and that's what I play on now, but I remember the old times.

Unfortunately my favourite creative aspects of CoH never got a parallel in champions. No mission maker, no base builder, power customization is a bit better and worse in different ways. Champions has a great foundation mechanically but despite my playing it for a long time it always felt like it missed its potential as a creative game that could generate its own content and longevity. I played both games pretty equally for a while since I found they satisfied me in different ways, one being more serious and one much more cartoony . Coh finally shot down and, being NCSoft, had no way to come back. Then for a few years I played Champions exclusively, I had bought an LTS a very long time ago during a sale, so I would just pop in and play for a while then get bored, then come back. The lack of meaningful content additions eventually burned me out, I love my alts but I can only do the same arcs on them so many times.
    "and salt for the odd plasticy graphics style and weird human faces"

lol, that's some irony right there.
    zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods
  • silentline7silentline7 Posts: 21 Arc User
    Other
    As an all around Role player, Storyteller ,Dungeon Master,Moderator,GM,Action Director. I originally learned about Champions system while poking around in an older Storytellers library of books after a cyberpunk 2020 campaign session. Later on I found the game unopened in the used games section for PC (lucky me. :>) while in search of the extras for Mechwarrior rpg. Couldn't start the upload until I had completed my promise to run the Sailor Moon rpg for my friends sister along with a handfull of fans schooled in anime since I had been petitioned to do so earlier that week via ICQ with a close friend finding the book at the very same store at $20. What can I say. I'm a pushover for new school RPG players.

After running one hell of a well designed campaign I got into creating a slew of earlier characters honing my know how and understanding of player groups, SG's , and Area farms.

Didn't take long to dispatch my main tank as my flagship character to unlock, fund , and equip other concepts I have for the system.

Despite all the mishaps, glitches, critical changes, and even the collapsing of entire guilds four times over with the loss of friends in the great moderator/player dispute of 2004 I still enjoy this game. On many occasions I now see your faces out in the field of Cosmics as well as local area grindings or RP zoning.
  • silentline7silentline7 Posts: 21 Arc User
    Other
    As an all around Role player, Storyteller ,Dungeon Master,Moderator,GM,Action Director. I originally learned about Champions system while poking around in an older Storytellers library of books after a cyberpunk 2020 campaign session. Later on I found the game unopened in the used games section for PC (lucky me. :>) while in search of the extras for Mechwarrior rpg. Couldn't start the upload until I had completed my promise to run the Sailor Moon rpg for my friends sister along with a handfull of fans schooled in anime since I had been petitioned to do so earlier that week via ICQ with a close friend finding the book at the very same store at $20. What can I say. I'm a pushover for new school RPG players.

After running one hell of a well designed campaign I got into creating a slew of earlier characters honing my know how and understanding of player groups, SG's , and Area farms.

Didn't take long to dispatch my main tank as my flagship character to unlock, fund , and equip other concepts I have for the system.

Despite all the mishaps, glitches, critical changes, and even the collapsing of entire guilds four times over with the loss of friends in the great moderator/player dispute of 2004 I still enjoy this game. On many occasions I now see your faces out in the field of Cosmics as well as local area grindings or RP zoning.

It wasn't 2004. I've just been informed it was 2012. Well its been a long time. I'm not perfect. :expressionless:

• bulgarexbulgarex Posts: 2,310 Arc User
    From some gaming venue
    As a frequenter of the discussion forums for Hero Games (publisher of tabletop Champions) I read the news the day the purchase of the Champions IP by Cryptic Studios was made public. It was huge for that community. For a while it looked like it would greatly raise the profile of that venerable game, and give Hero the capital to put out high-quality, fan-pleasing books. But of course, neither of our communities got everything we hoped for.
  • aschershadowaschershadow Posts: 39 Arc User
    Other
    After CoX bit the dust, I had a friend I made there introduce me to CO back in 2012. I didn't actually get to into until the next year when I actually got a desktop computer. Been playing since.
  • panthrax77panthrax77 Posts: 309 Arc User
    I originally tried to download this straight off the old Atari-era Cryptic site but it kept failing to install ironically. When I was actually able to get in eventually, I laughed at the character models and left.

Then a while later when it came to Steam, I tried it again and it's never left my computer since, lol.