test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Dps role health points cap.

colonelwingcolonelwing Posts: 297 Arc User
edited June 2019 in Suggestions Box
Hellosies,

I'd like to suggest a hp cap for the DPS role. Yes, this is about pvp (which IS part of the game) and it would be great if the PvE crowd didn't give their 25 cents on the topic, since it doesn't really affect them.

There are DPS role characterswith hp ranging from 12-15k. This combined with the protector spec mastery creates a massive disturbance in the force and lets not so skilled gamers be on par with those who actually know how to play. This has been going on for a while and should get looked into.

My suggestion is a hp cap of 8000-10000 points. No DPS build needs any more hp than that.

Comments

• Options
    soulforgersoulforger Posts: 1,649 Arc User
    A health cap would not affect people that do PvE?! Are you INSANE to think that part is true?! Not sure what you do in the game to think that...

But, a health cap would affect everyone, regardless if the do PvE or not. There is a lot of issues the game has that makes PvP a thing that is difficult to work around without screwing up PvP.

In truth, the only thing that would really work, is if, when you enter PvP, your Gear becomes...useless, as in, does not grant anything. Than it would be fair, as your stats would be as if you were not wearing gear.

But, let's be honest here, if they implemented a HP cap, they would have to change every fight in the game to take in consideration that cap so they don't make normal attacks blow up DPS and/or support toons with one attack that is not meant to one shot people. On the other hand, you suggested a rather high cap. But, on other hand, most DPS built toons don't have that type of HP.

In truth, PvP is not what they need to build powers or stat changes around. If they did that, they'd screw over PvE big time...I know this to be true, for, lots of changes that screwed over PvE in the past were made because of PvPers complaining about something. That is not to say that all changes are made because of PvP complaints, lots also were made due to PvE issues.

You cannot just say "CHANGE THIS! IT WILL NOT AFFECT *insert group here*!" and be taken serious, of course the change will affect all groups. You have to take in consideration how the proposed change will affect all aspects of the game.

And if you think for a second that a HP cap will not affect DPS because cosmic one shots...well, I got bad news for you, the problem is not the cosmic one shooting the DPS, it is the DPS not learning the mechanics and thus blocking the attacks so they don't die. Or are you thinking that DPS toons don't build HP for cosmics? Well, plenty do actually. It's rare to see low HP toons at cosmics, at least, never noticed low HP toons when I do cosmics with my healer.

Again, there is no such thing as a change that does not affect a certain group of players in a game when you directly mess with the stats, powers, or gear. Unless they made it so that gear is "turned off" for PvP. In that case, despite being a direct messing with of the gear, it will not affect PvE...though, knowing Cryptic, there would be a few bugs that would cause your gear to turn off at random...

Also, people might as well not continue reading or even giving much of a thought towards your suggestion, as you purposely suggest certain types of players to not say anything. Sorry, but, that tells me you just want people to pat you on the back and agree with you. And no, I am not a DPS main. Only putting that out because I'm sure, given how your post reads so far, you'd somehow jump to the conclusion that I main DPS and thus insult me or just not care about what I said.
  • Options
    theravenforcetheravenforce Posts: 7,065 Arc User
    Colonel, you forgot to specify that this suggestion, and many other PvP ones over the years, could only occur if there was a way to separate PvP effects from PvE settings.

Currently, outside of Devices, this isn't something that happens.

I wouldn't be too fussed about this suggestion if we had something where switching into PvP mode adjusted the function of our powers, specs, roles, HP etc.

We don't have something like that in CO, so this suggestion is currently problematic, since it enforces a HP cap on every single DPS player in game regardless of whether they PvP or not.

Presently, your best option is to fight DPS's with that health range and not punch above what you're willing to deal with.
  • Options
    pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    All this accomplishes is Yet More Incentive To Use Defensive Passives in PvP. That's not what PvP needs (completely disabling defensive passives might be productive).
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    soulforger wrote: »
    wall of text remover

The average pve dps role has 5-8k hp. My suggestion makes perfect sense and does NOT affect pve in the slightest.

P.S. Which part of:
    it would be great if the PvE crowd didn't give their 25 cents on the topic, since it doesn't really affect them.

Is hard to understand?
  • Options
    All this accomplishes is Yet More Incentive To Use Defensive Passives in PvP. That's not what PvP needs (completely disabling defensive passives might be productive).

That's outright dumb, pal.
  • Options
    The idea isn't mine btw, Spectre SG members suggested it a while back on discord. Get a grip.
  • Options
    Colonel, you forgot to specify that this suggestion, and many other PvP ones over the years, could only occur if there was a way to separate PvP effects from PvE settings.

Currently, outside of Devices, this isn't something that happens.

I wouldn't be too fussed about this suggestion if we had something where switching into PvP mode adjusted the function of our powers, specs, roles, HP etc.

We don't have something like that in CO, so this suggestion is currently problematic, since it enforces a HP cap on every single DPS player in game regardless of whether they PvP or not.

Presently, your best option is to fight DPS's with that health range and not punch above what you're willing to deal with.

Sorry but.. Nope.
  • Options
    jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,431 Arc User
    Well, the change you want isn't going to happen given how few dev resources we have and the apparent dev disinterest in PVP (if they had any interest in PVP they would have fixed the OSV system by now). So what are you realistically going to do to deal with the status quo?
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
  • Options

Um... 45 minute tank duels say it's not dumb.
  • Options
    fermifermi Posts: 117 Arc User
    I wholeheartedly agree with the OP but believe he has misdiagnosed the problem. The problem is not that parts of the game make PvP difficult, the problem is that PvP is in the game. If PvP is simply removed altogether, the OPs problem vanishes.
  • Options

That's because tanks are a bit overpowered and the usual con stacker has pretty low dmg..This isn't all that hard to grasp. You're just one of those people who are playing the game backwards with dual passives and you are afraid to lose your precious hp when you swap roles, at least man up and admit it.

Jesus Christ.

• Options
    edited June 2019
    fermi wrote: »
    I wholeheartedly agree with the OP but believe he has misdiagnosed the problem. The problem is not that parts of the game make PvP difficult, the problem is that PvP is in the game. If PvP is simply removed altogether, the OPs problem vanishes.

Pull the stick out your rear, cut out the smugness and refrain from posting about things you're obviously clueless about. I enjoy PvP, you enjoy beating up brainless AI.. Each to their own, i guess.
  • Options
    jaazaniah1 wrote: »
    Well, the change you want isn't going to happen given how few dev resources we have and the apparent dev disinterest in PVP (if they had any interest in PVP they would have fixed the OSV system by now). So what are you realistically going to do to deal with the status quo?

The OSV system can hardly be considered PvP and is not at all, what this thread is about.
  • Options
    lezard21lezard21 Posts: 1,510 Arc User
    >I'mma maek a discussion thread
    >I'mma attack everyone who presents an opposing viewpoint in MUH discussion thread

dis gud thread son
    giphy.gif​​
  • Options
    fermifermi Posts: 117 Arc User
    edited June 2019
    refrain from posting about things you're obviously clueless about. I enjoy PvP, you enjoy beating up brainless AI.. Each to their own, i guess.

I get it. Really, I do. You have to convince yourself that you know everything and nobody else knows anything. Because otherwise... otherwise it's possible that you're WRONG. And you can't have that.

The problem, of course, is that this also makes you impenetrable to learning, to argument, or even to polite discussion. But that's okay. You are free to believe what you wish. Have fun with that.
  • Options
    baelogventurebaelogventure Posts: 520 Arc User
    MUH PVP

517.jpg

• Options
    spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    it would be great if the PvE crowd didn't give their 25 cents on the topic, since it doesn't really affect them.

You should avoid talking about things which you have no clue about.
  • Options

That's because tanks are a bit overpowered and the usual con stacker has pretty low dmg.
    Ergo PvP would be improved by removing defensive passives.
    This isn't all that hard to grasp. You're just one of those people who are playing the game backwards with dual passives and you are afraid to lose your precious hp when you swap roles, at least man up and admit it.
    I have some dual passive builds, but most of my dps have 8-10k hp. On the other hand, I don't currently have a PvP toon, and if I did I suspect I'd have more hp, because, well, hp are really useful for winning (and I'd just have two gear sets, one for PvE, one for PvP).

Of course, your biggest problem with this thread is "lets not so skilled gamers be on par with those who actually know how to play". Lemme give you a hint: part of skill is proper specs and gear. If people are beating you, they're more skilled than you.
  • Options
    jennymachxjennymachx Posts: 3,000 Arc User
    I'd like to suggest a hp cap for the DPS role. Yes, this is about pvp (which IS part of the game) and it would be great if the PvE crowd didn't give their 25 cents on the topic, since it doesn't really affect them

tenor.gif?itemid=10181643

• Options
    jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,431 Arc User
    I don't see how something in which players fight players is not PVP? Oh, I get it, you have a narrow definition of PVP. When released it was intended as a kind of hybrid PVP But, still the devs have not taken the time to fix it. So my point about dev disinterest in it still stands. I guess since the devs are not going to change things, you;ll just have to adapt.
    jaazaniah1 wrote: »

The OSV system can hardly be considered PvP and is not at all, what this thread is about.

JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
  • Options
    sergeantmahoff1sergeantmahoff1 Posts: 138 Arc User
    Hellosies,
    Weirdest intro I've ever read but alright.
    This combined with the protector spec mastery creates a massive disturbance in the force and lets not so skilled gamers be on par with those who actually know how to play.
    Did it ever occur to you that those 'not so skilled gamers' caught onto something and maybe if you wanna win you should adapt? By the way, CO isn't an esport. PvE doesn't mold to PvP, it's the other way around. I'd suggest understanding mechanics better before suggesting solutions to cause more problems.
  • Options
    nbkxsnbkxs Posts: 768 Arc User
    No one cares, no.
    [NbK]XStorm
  • Options
    xcelsior41xcelsior41 Posts: 1,056 Arc User

Much like anything you say here
    Buffing everything to stupid high levels and nerfing everything to piss poor levels yields the same results, but not the same community reactions.

42 40s, LTSer.
  • Options
    itsbrou#5396 itsbrou Posts: 1,778 Arc User
    Adjust your gear, powers, and role to win.
    Brou in Cryptic games.
  • Options
    aesicaaesica Posts: 2,537 Arc User
    Yeah terrible suggestion unless the cap only applies to people who go into pvp zones.
    (Hopefully) Useful CO Resources: HeroCreator (character planner), Cosmic Timers/Alert Checklist, Blood Moon Map, Anniversary Cat Map, and more (eventually, anyway).
  • Options
    warcanchwarcanch Posts: 1,077 Arc User
    Reducing the HP cap on pvpers rewards the super-bursty players. Therefore, the next thread is about reducing/removing the super-bursty meta.

It's all a slippery slope. As others have said, change up your gear, powers, etc until you have something that can do what you want.

After a while someone will come up with a counter to it, forcing you to change and adapt or come to the forums calling for the nerfhammer.​​

-=-=-=-=-=-(CO in-game handle: @WarCan )-=-=-=-=-=-
    "Okay, you're DEAD, what do you do NEXT?"