test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

FC.31.20190403.1 - Quality of Life changes

kaiserin#0958 kaiserin Posts: 3,078 Cryptic Developer
UI
  • Characters in the select screen will now be sorted by last logged in.

Account
  • Increased max character slots to 120 (from 100).

Performance
  • Players should no longer get a message stating their drivers are out of date. If you get these messages, please check to see if they are still present on PTS.

Auction
  • Increased result cap to 999 (from 400). Please try this out!

Costumes
  • Golden Age Star and Golden Age Lightning Bolt emblems can be set to glow.
  • All tail costumes were changed under the hood for memory optimization purposes. This shouldn't change anything on the player end, but please give them a look.

Comments

• shadowolf505shadowolf505 Posts: 697 Arc User
    Niceeee 👌🏾👌🏾
    || Main Tank || DPSer || Healer || CCer || Altoholic || @shadowolf505 in game ||
  • pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    kaizerin wrote: »
    UI
    Don't think I like that. I can currently run through characters by position (if, for example, I'm cycling alts) and having them reorder every time would be annoying.

Being able to move characters manually would be nice but probably hard to implement.
  • kaizerin wrote: »
    [*] Characters in the select screen will now be sorted by last logged in.

NO NO NO NO NO FORKING NO! ABSOLUTELY FORKING NOT!​​
    #LegalizeAwoo
  • jamesbonnelljamesbonnell Posts: 170 Arc User
    Hmm. That will be disorienting to start. I'm used to them where they are in position now...
  • ealford1985ealford1985 Posts: 3,582 Arc User
    I think being allowed to sort is better than being forced to sort. I know my toon by memory.

But being able to move toon (and costumes slots) around would be enjoyed by more.

This isn’t a quality of life that change.

Auction house—yes!
  • randomchance4242randomchance4242 Posts: 195 Arc User
    I'd like to chime in with the others.

Although sort by last login might be a good option for some players, I and several other players I know fall more in line with what Pantagruel just said. I pick my characters based on page and position if going through alts and I know exactly where each one of them is now. Sort by last login has the potential to be really confusing and irritating.

Also, events like the anniversary or foxbatcon where character-specific titles/auras/other goodies are granted for logging in could cause confusion after logging in characters that are not currently being focused on but which could use a specific title or aura. Would it be possible to make sort-style an option, so that players who wanted to could opt to keep sorting by date created as is currently used?

I certainly do appreciate the bump up in character slots and auction results, though.
  • psychicslugpsychicslug Posts: 721 Arc User
    I agree with the others above, make it an option like in the inventory to sort. I like the guys where they are as the date created and helps with my own data base i created with their information. This will cause issues with those that have over 50 or more the most like my self.
  • avianosavianos Posts: 6,021 Arc User
    edited April 2019
    UI
    ABSOLUTELY DO NOT DO THIS! onion-4.gif
    Make this an option along other categories options, even better if we could arrange their position by hand, but please do NOT automatically arange them by last logged in
    Account
    Increased max character slots to 120 (from 100).
    Auction
    Increased result cap to 999 (from 400). Please try this out!
    :+1::+1::+1::+1::+1:​​
    POWERFRAME REVAMPS, NEW POWERS and BUG FIXES > Recycled Content and Events and even costumes at this point Introvert guy who use CO to make his characters playable and get experimental with Viable FF Theme builds! Running out of Unique FF builds due to the lack of updates and synergiesPlaying since 1 February 2011 98+ Characters (7 ATs, 91 FFs) ALTitis for Life!
  • sparklisinasparklisina Posts: 113 Arc User
    UI

Please, I beg you, PLEASE listen to your playerbase this time and DO NOT make this change. If this is something that you would like to implement, make it optional as it is more of an inconvenience to most players, especially those with many characters.

Many times you have not listened to your players and drove people away. Quality of Life changes should not be something that your players immediately beg you not to do. Please reconsider this.

As far as the other changes go, they are appreciated.

Thank you for the work you put into the game.

Rose_sig.png
  • maleb666maleb666 Posts: 364 Arc User
    UI

Please, please, PLEASE DON'T!!!!

Listen to the players (that are already not that many, sadly), but PLEASE do NOT implement this. This will only create confusion and frustration and loss of even more players. All the other stuff, great, but either give US the option to sort the characters as we want, or don't do it at all. Leave as it is, please!
    eupmtpu59ppn.jpg
  • Ha, they're ruining something all of you care about! Now you all know how I feel :3
  • tigerofcachticetigerofcachtice Posts: 551 Arc User
    Hi Julia, hi team, great work.

Love the glow option for the Golden Age emblems, that's so good, will toy with those. I especially love details like memory optimisation on the tails, as I can appreciate that's usually done via hard work or very clever engineering or usually both tbh.
    Also really like like increasing number of character slots and auction slots. Thanks for all this.

There is one thing I do not love:
    UI

At 1st, I thought I was just being anal retentive or resist-to-change, but then I also saw what others said.

Situation is, I know where my characters are at on my login page, in their static positions, which makes it easy for me to access them. When they start changing positions based on most recent login, now I don't know where they are, that makes it harder. That would be completely counter to what QoL improvements are for.

Please re-consider this 1 issue. Everything else is great, I think everyone digs them.

The glowing star emblem is going to be awesome, Imma make a teddy bear with that to do a Chest Beam attack, to stare! But please no to my characters running around on the select screen, they're already in their optimal positions, don't change that.
    Banner%20Try%20Again.jpg
    More action at Champions Online Comics @ http://co-comics.webs.com
  • xparibaxxparibax Posts: 149 Arc User
    My two cents:
    I like the character limit up and the auction house fix- YES PLEASE!
    the sort by log in? HECK NO!! multiple pages of guys - i like many of the others know where each guy is. if you wanted to sort them by level or when they were made... maybe. but log in? BAD IDEA. No thanks.

• in case my earlier feelings on the 'sort by login' change weren't clear...let me be more succinct:

giphy.gif

if you REALLY want to make a QoL change...how about removing the useless fog of war from the minimap? it serves no purpose and it never did - it doesn't need to be there​​
    #LegalizeAwoo
  • kallethenkallethen Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    Huh. I'm in the minority I guess, I don't mind that change. But I think it'd be best as an option, not forced on all.​​
    100% of the world is crazy, 95% are in denial.

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    edited April 2019
    UI

Hmmm...this is gonna make my vigilance process each week more awkward. I'll have to start writing down which ones I already did it on if I don't want to have to go searching through my toons to see who did it already. Right now I can just start at the top of page one and go down through each page. Assuming they "push down" each time a toon gets moved into the #1 spot then I guess I could start at the end of the last page and move my waybackwards... and then just gotta make sure I never hop on a toon other than the next one in line for vigilance. Not really a QoL improvement in that instance.

For people with several dozen toons this could be neat, to get their currently most active toons to the front page, but I assume that some of them do vigilances the same way I do. I mean, if you can reorder toons like this, can you also give us some control over it? The thing people have been asking for is the ability to manually reorder toons on the pages. This would kind of get us there if maybe we had some sort of a checkbox that would allow us to turn this on/off when we want. What's the chances of that?​​
  • areeeareee Posts: 817 Arc User
    Order of last login.

Hmmm, so I just need to log into the last of the list for Vigilence. It will move to the top and second last will then pop into last place. Kinda useful, if confusing most of the rest of the time.
  • warriordante24warriordante24 Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited April 2019
    No, no AND NO! I have over 100 characters and I like knowing where they are ever since I started playing the game. If i want a certain character, I know instantly which page and row they are in. Switching it to last log in is a HORRIBLE idea. Do not implement it, period.
  • atherrisatherris Posts: 27 Arc User
    UI

Please make this optional if you do implement this into live
  • qawsadaqawsada Posts: 736 Arc User
    UI
    I would prefer to not let this happen. I have +100 characters and I purposely made many characters in certain pages as theme pages. This QoL update will ruin this organization I made.
  • lezard21lezard21 Posts: 1,510 Arc User
    UI

I rather this not plz.

As you may be aware cause I have been spamming it everywhere, I've been trying to farm/buy the Therakiel Sword for 25k (yes, I'm advertising here now too!) for the past 6 months.

When farming, I use up Vladic Keys following the order of characters through creation date, cause I can only do like 10 or so runs before I want to kill myself.

Having the roster order constantly changing will make me cry, so please don't.

Alternatively, you can revamp Therakiel Lair to streamline it and not be a pain in the buttocks to farm or mail me a Therakiel Sword and you can then proceed to sort characters by how many Costume Parts with the letter X they have if you want and I wouldn't mind tiger-26.gif​​
  • gentlegiantvexxgentlegiantvexx Posts: 321 Community Moderator
    +1 Make the Last login organization an optional thing.

I can understand finally being able to organize your toons based on how often you play them.
    I can also understand that being a problem for those with a high amount of toons they use and the organization can be disorienting.
  • lunnylunnylunnylunny Posts: 186 Arc User
    I'm perfectly fine with allowing the Sorting as an option players can turn on or off, so to switch between "Sort by last played" or the current "Sort by date of creation".

However, if this is forced, it's going to make my life and the life of many others a huge mess. Anyone that has more than 50 characters will begin having issues finding that one character they havent used much. Maybe it's in the last page, maybe it's in the middle, maybe it's actually close to the start.

Otherwise, really good changes and I'm happy to see them.

Auction

giphy.gif

I posted 200 Gold Foil Special Item Voucher A (that I got from the debugger) before my eyes started to bleed out.

It would be cool if more people would log into PTS and post more of this same item to help test the 400+ search feature.​​
  • poptartmaniac#8493 poptartmaniac Posts: 246 Arc User
    edited April 2019
    I am not liking the sort by login, currently even with a good pc and internet, the character portraits take a while to show, it's easier to login fast with the old way because you remember their positions based on date created, and it'll be very disorienting and annoying to find the correct character, sure we can get used to it after a while and probably won't care too much, but it doesn't seem like 'the better choice' to sort by last login, it just seems like it'll just cause more trouble, it also seems like one of those changes that are just, unnecessary.

I'm cool with changes though, but I'll have to say I dislike this one, as someone who has 2 pages of alts. I think if this change is brought to live it should be optional, if it can't be done as an option then please reconsider not doing this.

However I very much like all the other changes you have made here \o/ I'm specially fond of the auction house cap, if it works.
  • gentlegiantvexxgentlegiantvexx Posts: 321 Community Moderator
    edited April 2019
    Suggestion:
    Organize by Time amount played on the character instead of recently played.

I remember there being a command that tells the amount of hours you've /played on that character, could that time be used as an organizational interger maybe?
    Post edited by gentlegiantvexx on
    No to what Vexx said, unless optional.

That’s the key here...optional. It’s oretty unanimous that no one likes this idea.
  • themightyzeniththemightyzenith Posts: 4,599 Arc User
    edited April 2019
    UI

Account
    • Increased max character slots to 120 (from 100).

Performance
    • Players should no longer get a message stating their drivers are out of date. If you get these messages, please check to see if they are still present on PTS.

Auction

Costumes
    • Golden Age Star and Golden Age Lightning Bolt emblems can be set to glow.
    • All tail costumes were changed under the hood for memory optimization purposes. This shouldn't change anything on the player end, but please give them a look.

I like most of these and it's nice to have QoL upgrades. However, that first one is not at all what folks have been asking for.

I get that implementing the system that players actually asked for is perhaps not possible, in which case I would advocate for leaving the character order as is, instead of it constantly changing. Please reconsider.

The other changes are great :+1:

Post edited by themightyzenith on
    zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods
  • deadman20deadman20 Posts: 1,529 Arc User
    Sorting by last played would be far too annoying for people with large character counts, but knowing that it can be done hopefully means the tech to sort characters in other ways may be something to look forward to. For now, just keep the default sorting method as is or allow an option to swap to the new one. Probably put it in a dropdown menu so it can be easier to add future character sorting methods to it.

Also, yay, an extra 20 possible characters! \o/​​
    Steam Guide to Modifications and Equipment (Champions Online) - DZPlayer's Builds (Last updated: 3/26/2018)
    And I will always be @DZPlayer122.

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,424 Arc User
    Ugh. It would be so much nicer if they were sorted alphabetically,
    UI

Costumes

Well, of course changing how tails work HAS to affect things "on the player end" since that's where tails go ;)
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
  • andondarkmoreandondarkmore Posts: 671 Arc User
    edited April 2019
    I do not want my character selection screen to change every time I play a character. I have 93 characters and have them sorted by Concept and Supergroup. I have them organized so I can easily select and rotate character through Vigilance and event missions.

Also, can you move the mouse over a character on the character select screen and it shows when the character was last played on the right?

If there is any changes to be done to the character Selection screen, I would like to be able SELECT a specific character and move IT up or down the character Selection screen(s).

If character on the character selection screen are assigned numbers. (so if you log onto the game on another computer the characters are in the same order) IS there a way to increase/decrease the character number to re-order the characters that way?
  • kleo#3069 kleo Posts: 6 Arc User
    Thats amazing ! Thanks kaizerin! <3
  • slinkiisuslinkiisu Posts: 15 Arc User
    UI
    Nononononoononononononononononono. That is the WORST part of logging into GW2. I have to scroll through 3 pages of characters every single time I go to the selection screen. Why would you increase the maximum and make it a pain to have more than a single page of characters??
  • theravenforcetheravenforce Posts: 7,065 Arc User
    I definitely agree with the sentiment to allow us to re-order our own characters ourselves MUCH MORE than by last logged in.

Players have been asking for the ability to re-order characters on their roster for a while now.

Those who do not read forums or news may suddenly complain that their character has been deleted if it suddenly moves position.

So please, either make this UI change optional or make adjustments so that we can re-order our characters by ourselves.
  • themightyzeniththemightyzenith Posts: 4,599 Arc User
    While we're on QoL changes, any chance of fixing the images for costume transformations and emotes that broke a few patches ago......

38CEi2y.png

BUG: All the images for costume transformations and emotes changed to generic images a few patches ago
    zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods
  • aesicaaesica Posts: 2,537 Arc User
    I have to agree that, while it'd be nice to sort my characters somehow, that's not at all a very good way to do it. STO does it like that (by last login) and it's really annoying when you have a lot of characters. Please don't let that make it to live.

Everything else looks good though.
    (Hopefully) Useful CO Resources: HeroCreator (character planner), Cosmic Timers/Alert Checklist, Blood Moon Map, Anniversary Cat Map, and more (eventually, anyway).
  • jennymachxjennymachx Posts: 3,000 Arc User
    I'm also in the opinion that auto-sorting the character list by most previous login is a bad idea. A better feature would be a search filter option.

While we're on the subject of QoL, I really REALLY want to see an Open / Close All Bags button added to the UI.
  • calistariuscalistarius Posts: 5 Arc User
    While I do think that being able to have your characters sorted by "last logged in" is a good idea, and can be very helpful (especially in certain situations)... I do still have to back up all the people asking for it to be optional, and for their wish to have more sortingr options as well (a second option with ascending and descending order would be really great to), or even be able to manually rearrange our characters out self somehow.

Outside of that, everything else looks like very nice changes. :)

I do like Jenny's idea of a search option for your characters (not that I would need that yet, I only have 4 characters... XD ). And I also agree about the bag's thing, but I don't think a new UI option would be compleatly neccesary... all I feel would be needed there would be an extra row under "Inventory" in the "Key Bind" tab, where you could pick your own key for "Open / close all bags". :)
    Also the game remembers the 'last character played' is remembered and auto selected when you log onto the game.
  • salmialmisalmialmi Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited April 2019
    please don't automatically sort my characters, I have the ones I play sorted to the center line while the miscellaneous characters are out on the right and left sides.
    As for the increased Character limit; do the LIFETIME members get their new character slot at level 40 till 120 slots?
    That was a “bug” not a “feature”
  • stogey#8389 stogey Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited April 2019
    UI
    [/list]
    [*] Characters in the select screen will now be sorted by last logged in.

This is a really bad change!

1.) When logging in different toons to do the "same thing" on all toons it will only making it super confusing!

2.) When you need to switch toons quickly, for any number of reasons, it will take much longer because now no toon will never be in the same place. Imagine shuffling a deck of cards every time you need one card in the deck.

3.) Any time you want to systematically do anything with more than one toon it will make any process confusing and annoying!

4.) Many people have the same costume on different toons with very similar names. With the only difference being a slight build difference, making this change super annoying.

5.) Copying toons over to PTS will make this change super annoying because the order in which toons appear will never match live server, as far as their position on the character selection screen.

6.) Toon placement on the character selection screen is about the only way to be sure that you log in the toon you want for the reason you want. This change is will be a never ending ever growing source of frustration and confusion.

7.) When you leave a device on a toon that can be shared with other toons (bound to account items) the only real way to remember what toon its on is the position of the toon in the character selection screen. This change will be a never ending source of frustration and annoyance.

8.) When doing dailies on more than one toon, and you want to have the shortest cooldown timing difference between all those toons, I log in each toon and get the daily on each toon first then go back to the order in which I took the dailies, to do them. This change to the order in which toons will appear on the character selection screen will be a never ending source of frustration and annoyance forever. Even more so during events.

9.) Its hard enough to deal with changes to a long standing system when it is a one time thing. This change will be a never ending source of "change" that will constantly without end make the game confusing and annoying exponentially forever.

10.) Did I mention constant source of confusion and annoyance exponentially forever?
    Post edited by stogey#8389 on
  • sergeantmahoff1sergeantmahoff1 Posts: 137 Arc User
    This is one of those things that had a good intention but not the best execution. If it can't be sorted manually, I suggest not sorting anything at all. Sorting by last login doesn't benefit much, because if I'm going to swap characters, it wouldn't make much sense if the last one that's the most easy to swap to is the one I'm swapping off of.

I like the idea of quality of life changes, but this quality of life change doesn't necessarily work out so well for the vast majority of players, especially going by the current feedback's demographic.

Like Jenny suggested, a search bar would be pretty nice. Less page tabbing, just type the first three or more letters of your character's name and voila.

Again, I like the idea of character sorting, but with this form of implementation, it's really not a good idea.
  • royalflvshroyalflvsh Posts: 165 Arc User
    Sorry, friends. But it's not unanimous. I love the idea of characters sorting based on previous login. For your sakes, i hope it's optional.

These changes all sound fantastic. Please, bring it on!
    It's not unanimous because it has apparently been already decided that they will be sorted by last logged in. The patch notes are more of a FYI courtesy thing.​​
  • pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    lezard21 wrote: »
    It's not unanimous because it has apparently been already decided that they will be sorted by last logged in. The patch notes are more of a FYI courtesy thing.​​
    They occasionally change their minds, and unlike some changes that were received poorly, there isn't a strong reason for them to ignore complaints.
  • grunspelgrunspel Posts: 15 Arc User
    I rarely use the PTS or check the PTS forum discussions, but I'm glad I did this time. I appreciate quality of life changes when they are general improvements. I think we can all agree increasing the auction search limit is one of those. I can't imagine why anyone would have an issue with it, and I am already looking forward to it. Thank you to everyone who was part of making this happen.

Unfortunately, I can't say the same for the character selection screen change. Like many others here have already said, I too know most of my 35 characters by their position. In fact, I also have a spreadsheet with the characters in the same position, and each has a link to their build using @Aesica's wonderful HeroCreator tool. Please, please, please make this change optional or allow us to toggle sort between date created and last login or something. But please don't force everyone to change to a different sort method whether we want it or not. I don't believe that fits the notion of improving quality of life.

Given that this release will (hopefully) include an improvement to auction searches, I'd like to propose another, related improvement. Would it be possible to add an optional filter (primarily for costumes but also for action figures, powers, etc.) to exclude ones you already have? I definitely think it should be optional so we could still compare prices if we are trying to sell something, but I know I would love to be able to quickly check the cheapest unowned costume pieces without having to scroll through pages checking the icons. Designers and developers, please consider it. Thank you.

I want to close by giving an open thanks to everyone who has helped make this game what it is today. I came to Champions Online 4 years ago because (a) I used to play the Champions RPG decades ago and (b) I was looking for a fun, relaxing MMO. I love that the focus here is more on quality of life and fun events rather than a constantly shifting max level. I bought lifetime to give myself more flexibility, and now I enjoy playing the game trying various themed builds and whatnot. While I am happy with most of what happens with the development of the game, I can't leave out the players. Thank you all for your generosity and courteousness with the player base. I love seeing so many people helping others every time I play, especially when we try to navigate the various events. I also love the humorous zone conversations, the costumes, the fun devices .... the atmosphere that makes Champions what it is today.
  • superalfgornsuperalfgorn Posts: 558 Arc User
    Auto sorting character? Please NO!
    As many have said I know their position by heart, even more than their name, sorting them would be confusing

• warcanchwarcanch Posts: 1,069 Arc User
    While I live with this "last played first" sorting in SWTOR, I have another reason to not want it here.

I have more alts here.

When it comes time to rotate through everyone during some type of event (free swag, title, item, etc for logging in), this "sort" means I have to go to the end of the list every time to pick the "next" toon to log in.​​

-=-=-=-=-=-(CO in-game handle: @WarCan )-=-=-=-=-=-
    "Okay, you're DEAD, what do you do NEXT?"
This discussion has been closed.