test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Please Consider Giving Celestial Conduit 100 ft Range

spookyspectrespookyspectre Posts: 632 Arc User
Celstial Conduit is kind of lacking at the moment. Please consider giving it a similar treatment as Concussor Beam and extend the range to 100 ft. For now at least, getting it to chain with Illumination would still generally take being within 50 ft to apply. So this update shouldn't make it overpowered and should goose it to be a bit more attractive as a power choice.

Comments

• spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    100 ft would definitely make it OP, it'd have to lose something. I'd rather it stay at 50 range +chaining +being both a heal and damage power. If Celestial gets a 100 range attack I want a new one, not a nerfed old one.​​
  • warcanchwarcanch Posts: 1,076 Arc User
    Would you explain why if the current version of Celestial Conduit becomes a 100' power makes it OP?

I haven't messed with it much over the past 2 years, so not really up on it.​​

-=-=-=-=-=-(CO in-game handle: @WarCan )-=-=-=-=-=-
    "Okay, you're DEAD, what do you do NEXT?"
  • rtmartma Posts: 1,198 Arc User
    edited November 2018
    Lets give a moments pause for the neglected Rebuke for being able to fill this role, cause hardly anyone cares to charge for results, amen.
    Want to get to know me a bit better, Click me and take a read of My Dragon Profile Page, it's a bit dated but still relevant.

I take this quote from a review that I agree with.

"customisation is so linear; everyone is after the optimal dps:survivability ratio with 0 reliance on other players = autonomous gameplay... Players don't need each other anymore... which in my opinion is a bad thing."
  • avianosavianos Posts: 6,028 Arc User
    Don't mind me, still waiting for a Celestial revamp​​
    POWERFRAME REVAMPS, NEW POWERS and BUG FIXES > Recycled Content and Events and even costumes at this point Introvert guy who use CO to make his characters playable and get experimental with Viable FF Theme builds! Running out of Unique FF builds due to the lack of updates and synergiesPlaying since 1 February 2011 98+ Characters (7 ATs, 91 FFs) ALTitis for Life!
    edited November 2018
    warcanch wrote: »
    Would you explain why if the current version of Celestial Conduit becomes a 100' power makes it OP?

100' chaining power that's both a heal and a damage power. Sure, if it did pitiful damage and healing then that all would be balanced, but that's not the case. Compare it to another aoe healing power, Arcane Vitality. That power is 50 range, can have its aoe heals swallowed up by nearer targets than what you want it to hit, and is not also a damage power. Compare it to 100 range damage maintains - those can't be made to chain over a large area, and aren't also heals.

Celestial Conduit is currently a strong power, so strong that it has to be balanced out by requiring Illumination just to get its chaining.

One thing you could consider is a 2 pt Advantage that makes Celestial Conduit's range 100', but removes its ability to chain when hitting targets holding the Illumination buff/debuff.​​
  • warcanchwarcanch Posts: 1,076 Arc User
    edited November 2018
    spinnytop wrote: »
    warcanch wrote: »

100' chaining power that's both a heal and a damage power. Sure, if it did pitiful damage and healing then that all would be balanced, but that's not the case. Compare it to another aoe healing power, Arcane Vitality. That power is 50 range, can have its aoe heals swallowed up by nearer targets than what you want it to hit, and is not also a damage power. Compare it to 100 range damage maintains - those can't be made to chain over a large area, and aren't also heals.

Celestial Conduit is currently a strong power, so strong that it has to be balanced out by requiring Illumination just to get its chaining.

One thing you could consider is a 2 pt Advantage that makes Celestial Conduit's range 100', but removes its ability to chain when hitting targets holding the Illumination buff/debuff.

Iirc, there are some 100' powers that can apply Illumination to an enemy target. Nothing 100' applies Illumination to "friendly" at the moment, I think. However, the colored comment would be fine by me.​​

-=-=-=-=-=-(CO in-game handle: @WarCan )-=-=-=-=-=-
    "Okay, you're DEAD, what do you do NEXT?"
  • rtma wrote: »
    Lets give a moments pause for the neglected Rebuke for being able to fill this role, cause hardly anyone cares to charge for results, amen.

Indeed. This is Rebuke's niche, and Celestial Conduit shouldn't have it.
    I would like to have a reason to use Rebuke more. It looks really cool.​​
  • aesicaaesica Posts: 2,537 Arc User
    Actually all Celestial Conduit really needs is the ability to chain without the clunky Illumination requirement. That would bring it more in line with Arcane Vitality as a proper aoe heal.
    rtma wrote: »

Indeed. This is Rebuke's niche, and Celestial Conduit shouldn't have it.
    -Rebuke +Iniquity

Rebuke will never live up to these other abilities, but not because its charged (although that's part of it, as the delay can mean death for the person being healed. What really holds it back is the fact that it's a T0 power, and T0 powers aren't allowed to be good for anything besides applying utility buffs/debuffs.
    I would like to have a reason to use Rebuke more. It looks really cool.​​
    Since it's stuck as a T0, those reason will have to come in the form of advantages. Here's some that might make it worth a damn:
    • Admonish: Now stuns the primary target too if it's an enemy. (Why does it not already do this!?)
    • Light Everlasting: Applies Light Everlasting to the target (if friendly) and allies near the target
    • Illumination: Applies Illuminated to foes and Illumination to allies near the target. Affects the target as well.
    (Hopefully) Useful CO Resources: HeroCreator (character planner), Cosmic Timers/Alert Checklist, Blood Moon Map, Anniversary Cat Map, and more (eventually, anyway).
  • pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    aesica wrote: »
    Actually all Celestial Conduit really needs is the ability to chain without the clunky Illumination requirement. That would bring it more in line with Arcane Vitality as a proper aoe heal.
    It also needs to chain even if its initial target is uninjured.
    edited November 2018
    Actually all Celestial Conduit really needs is the ability to chain without the clunky Illumination requirement.

Ha ha! Clunk clunk! :D

That would actually put it beyond Arcane Vitality, since you can't dps with AV. The illumination requirement is very deliberate, because it makes it so that if you want an aoe dps and an aoe heal, you have to use two power slots. Your suggestion brings us back to the issue of Conduit being "Two Powers one Slot". When it's a mid-range single target dps that does aoe-level damage, and a mid-range single target heal that heals about as much as AV, it's fairly balanced since those are each effectively half of a power in effectiveness. Once you slap on aoe to both of those, you've now got an aoe dps power and an aoe heal for one power slot, which is a fairly obvious no-no.

Also as someone who actually uses the combo, it doesn't feel clunky to me. Hitting one power then another power isn't really an unusual action to take in this game. Clunk clunk! :D
    It also needs to chain even if its initial target is uninjured.

This however would be great. If the power has one thing that actually feels clunky, it's this. Having to switch targets to work around this is something no other power has to deal with. Plz fix!​​
    That would actually put it beyond Arcane Vitality, since you can't dps with AV.
    Given its actual damage output, one could argue that you can't dps with Celestial Conduit, either. The damage portion is underwhelming, even as an aoe, but honestly that's fine. Lifedrain deals damage and heals not just in the same power, but at the same time, and yet it's balanced. That's because it picks one primary function (healing) and sticks with it instead of trying to be good at both.
    The illumination requirement is very deliberate, because it makes it so that if you want an aoe dps and an aoe heal, you have to use two power slots. Your suggestion brings us back to the issue of Conduit being "Two Powers one Slot". When it's a mid-range single target dps that does aoe-level damage, and a mid-range single target heal that heals about as much as AV, it's fairly balanced since those are each effectively half of a power in effectiveness. Once you slap on aoe to both of those, you've now got an aoe dps power and an aoe heal for one power slot, which is a fairly obvious no-no.
    The problem with this "logic" is that you have to take 2 powers to make it behave as intended (aoe healing) when it should be able to do at least something decently on its own. There are better single target numbers available from iniquity/warmth/empathic healing and better single target damage from even T0 blasts.

You could actually apply the Lifedrain philosophy (primary focus is healing, but it can sort of deal some damage as well) to Celestial Conduit's design to create a fairly balanced power. Maybe the chaining could happen regardless of buff/debuff for 50% as much as the primary target, with Illumination/Illuminated on the primary target increasing the aoe effect on secondary targets to 100%, just like with Lifedrain and its relatives.
    (Hopefully) Useful CO Resources: HeroCreator (character planner), Cosmic Timers/Alert Checklist, Blood Moon Map, Anniversary Cat Map, and more (eventually, anyway).
    The problem with this "logic" is that you have to take 2 powers to make it behave as intended (aoe healing) when it should be able to do at least something decently on its own.

"Intended" for Celestial Conduit has always been "chains on targets who have Illumination on them". That wasn't something new that was added when they changed it, that has always been the case.

It can do something decently on its own, two things in fact. It just can't do either of them great. Arcane Vitality is a great heal. Celestial Conduit on its own is a good heal, and a good dps power.

You could actually apply the Lifedrain philosophy (primary focus is healing, but it can sort of deal some damage as well) to Celestial Conduit's design to create a fairly balanced power.

But it already deals more damage and heals more than Lifedrain, so I'd rather not nerf it by trying to make it more like lifedrain.
    Maybe the chaining could happen regardless of buff/debuff for 50% as much as the primary target, with Illumination/Illuminated on the primary target increasing the aoe effect on secondary targets to 100%, just like with Lifedrain and its relatives.

Sounds interesting. Which part of the power would you nerf to justify this adjustment?​​
    You seem too hung up on the fact that Celestial Conduit deals damage as a weaker secondary effect, and that it justifies the power being reliant on a secondary power because otherwise, "2 powers 1 slot." It's blinding you to the fact that its primary effects are mediocre compared to the competition. Consider these 2 setups:

- Celestial Conduit
    - Illumination

vs

- Arcane Vitality
    - Shadow Embrace

Both are the same thing overall--aoe healing and aoe dimensional damage in 2 power slots, right? Actually...no. The second is quite a bit more effective because all you have to do is point and shoot, without first making sure some silly buff/debuff is active. It also affects 1 more target (5 max vs primary + up to 3 chains) and Shadow Embrace applies a useful secondary debuff (Fear)
    Celestial Conduit on its own is a good heal, and a good dps power."

Contrary to what you are trying to (falsely) imply, Celestial Conduit is not good damage all by itself. It deals the same damage as a tier 1 aoe cone breath attack, but as single target. Here's some dps values from a level 40, formless/passiveless/gearless charcter:

- Rebuke (T0) 650 / (1.83 + 0.67) = 260
    - Conduit (T1) 116 / 0.5 = 232

"Good dps power" indeed. What are you killing with it, purple gang henchmen in westside?
    Sounds interesting. Which part of the power would you nerf to justify this adjustment?​​
    None is really necessary (aside from maybe a cost bump, which it could use regardless) because:

1) Its core function remains an aoe healing power, and technically, Arcane Vitality is still superior because it requires no stupid garbage buffs or debuffs in order to function at full capacity. What I proposed simply allows it to perform its primary function in partial capacity in exchange for allowing it to deal mediocre damage if the user wants.

2) Unlike Lifedrain, you cannot heal and deal damage with it at the same time. It's one or the other based on what you target.

3) Dealing "tier 1 aoe cone breath damage" to the primary target, and only 50% of that to secondary targets, is still pretty subpar. If you want to deal real damage, you should be looking elsewhere.
    You seem too hung up on the fact that Celestial Conduit deals damage as a weaker secondary effect

It's not a weaker secondary effect. It's a second primary effect. The toon I use Celestial Conduit on uses it more often as a dps power than a heal, due to the nature of the game it's being used in.​​
    Well then, I commend you on choosing a suboptimal power either for extra challenge or for the sake of "MUH THEME." That still doesn't make it a good damage power by any stretch of the imagination.
    edited November 2018
    Well then, I commend you on choosing a suboptimal power either for extra challenge or for the sake of "MUH THEME." That still doesn't make it a good damage power by any stretch of the imagination.

It's a support toon, so it greatly benefits from having a dps and a heal power for 1 power point. You might not think that's worthwhile, but you also don't have a series of videos showcasing how much you can do with powers that people don't think are "optimal" o3o​​
    It's a support toon, so it greatly benefits from having a dps and a heal power for 1 power point. You might not think that's worthwhile​​
    So Conduit in 1 power slot and an illumination applier in another to make it work. Got it. Using the same number of slots, I think I'll just stick with arcane vitality + a choice of star barrage, telekinetic barrage, electrical current, venomous breath, etc. You know, more overall utility for the same number of power slots.

;)