test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Not being able to create comic book character from marvel or dc?

Comments

• chuckwolfchuckwolf Posts: 274 Arc User
    In the early days of this game they took Trademarked characters very seriously.

To the point where there was a player who was also a writer/artist for a small independent comics company who wanted to use the name and likeness of a character he actually held the trademark to the character was Kid Olympus.

Cryptic/Atari told him he couldn't use it.
    @Powerblast in game
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    chuckwolf wrote: »

To the point where there was a player who was also a writer/artist for a small independent comics company who wanted to use the name and likeness of a character he actually held the trademark to the character was Kid Olympus.

That's still true. Read the Terms of Service; Cryptic is supposed to hold trademark on all the toons made here, which causes conflict when you already hold the trademark on the one you're making here.
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • revanantmoriturirevanantmorituri Posts: 391 Arc User
    jonsills wrote: »

That's still true. Read the Terms of Service; Cryptic is supposed to hold trademark on all the toons made here, which causes conflict when you already hold the trademark on the one you're making here.

The sudden urge to sic the Cryptic/PWI lawyers and the NCSoft lawyers against one another is tempting and amusing. How many characters in CO are recreations of characters from CoH, after all?
    -
    Formerly @Seschat pre PWEmerger. @Seschat on the Titan boards.

Supporter of the Titan Project.
  • nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    i heard it when i first joined the game from a random person that u can't create these kind of characters or they'll ban you, is that true? and why? i mean we create marvel/dc inspired characters in games, it's obviously what people like to do, recreate what we like.

Why would you want to play as someone else's creation when you can make your own?
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • poptartmaniac#8493 poptartmaniac Posts: 246 Arc User
    edited July 2018
    Think about this. What if you spend your time designing a character, creating their look, lore, backstory, personality, figuring out how their powers or magic work, etc etc, then someone goes and takes that character you worked so hard on? It sucks, no one likes to have their work stolen, definitely not artists and creative writers.
    Its even worse when people roleplay the character they stole and do a horrible job at it ruining the character over all, i dont take anyone who makes direct clones seriously, and i report them because of the above reasons, some guy made a robin clone and tried to tell me it was inspiration but it was not, same costume, same vigilante name, similiar backstory, the only thing that changed was they didnt use the real name of any of the robins.

Same thing happened with this guy who made both a gorilla grodd clone and a gambit clone. Tried to tell me it was inspiration, and not a clone got mad at me and said kaiserin helped him make the character lol

Homages are okay, inspirations are okay, i
    clones are not.
    I have a character inspired by spider-man, a steampunk spider girl, ive done everything i can to make her creative and not a clone she is her own character, and i was obsessed with the flash so i made a speedster that uses neon as her powersource though i had to change her a bit cuz then people thought it was fetch from infamous

I can accept cosplay though, like say you have a power armor character and want to cosplay iron man. Or you just want to dress up like Mikasa from attack on titan
  • spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    edited July 2018
    nepht wrote: »
    i heard it when i first joined the game from a random person that u can't create these kind of characters or they'll ban you, is that true? and why? i mean we create marvel/dc inspired characters in games, it's obviously what people like to do, recreate what we like.

Why would you want to play as someone else's creation when you can make your own?

I LITEREALLY SAID THAT ON PAGE ONE (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻​​
    Well, I do have a Power Man cosplay costume for Hypernova...

Luke_Cage_homage_zpshrfojfqf.png

(For reference, his regular costume:

Hypernova_zpsqhhh62qt.png)
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

• soulforgersoulforger Posts: 1,649 Arc User

The sudden urge to sic the Cryptic/PWI lawyers and the NCSoft lawyers against one another is tempting and amusing. How many characters in CO are recreations of characters from CoH, after all?

I know that at the very least Old Man Bobb is one such character, at least, he claims to be one.
    soulforger wrote: »

I know that at the very least Old Man Bobb is one such character, at least, he claims to be one.
    Then again, Old Man Bobb claims to be a lot of things... :lol:

• shadowolf505shadowolf505 Posts: 697 Arc User
    Dont make complete clones, you can makr homaged or inspired characters. Thats basically it when it comes to making those characters.
    || Main Tank || DPSer || Healer || CCer || Altoholic || @shadowolf505 in game ||
    Lets be honest and this is coming from a Marvel fan girl...why would anyone besides a MCU fan want to make a Marvel character these days they all have bad hair. Like Marvel is on a mission to top Norman Osborne's awful hair do. Have you seen Daken's hair. Good lord >_>"
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    soulforger wrote: »

Then again, Old Man Bobb claims to be a lot of things... :lol:

True lol
    On the other hand, what if I were to use a character I created here in some other media? Say for example I started up a saturday morning cartoon starring Kagami The Amazing Magical Girl. If Cryptic is supposed to hold a trademark on her, what happens?​​
  • flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    They would sue your a**.
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
  • rtmartma Posts: 1,198 Arc User
    edited August 2018
    Cause business is a tool to get what you want and enforcing it by threatening to use a system that is designed to assert control by inconveniencing you with what we've been taught to believe in, cause some people won't be reasonably responsible by respecting of other peoples idea's, when it comes to passion someone doesn't like to share and ruins it for everyone else so they make rules to play by, like the legal system, in other words, protecting their profit.
    Want to get to know me a bit better, Click me and take a read of My Dragon Profile Page, it's a bit dated but still relevant.

I take this quote from a review that I agree with.

"customisation is so linear; everyone is after the optimal dps:survivability ratio with 0 reliance on other players = autonomous gameplay... Players don't need each other anymore... which in my opinion is a bad thing."
  • roughbearmattachroughbearmattach Posts: 4,784 Arc User
    Don't forget that trademark law is probably even more important here than copyright law.

For instance, the name "Thor" is not copywritten by Marbel. But Thor as a superhero, wielding a hammer, and using a blue costume, is a registered trademark by Marvel. If someone else wants to use Thor in that way, Marvel has a clear, winnable case.

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.
    Don't forget that trademark law is probably even more important here than copyright law.

For instance, the name "Thor" is not copywritten by Marbel. But Thor as a superhero, wielding a hammer, and using a blue costume, is a registered trademark by Marvel. If someone else wants to use Thor in that way, Marvel has a clear, winnable case.
    In fact, trademark is the one that has to be (in the vague words of the law) "vigorously defended". That's why the informal Rule of Three came into existence. If you're considering whether to report someone for a violation, consider three aspects:

1) Name;

2) Costume/appearance;

3) Backstory/bio.

If two of them are substantially similar to an existing published character, and not obviously a parody, it's probably in violation. (Of course, Cryptic makes the final call - it's their butts on the line, after all...) For instance, if your toon is a large white man wearing blue tights with red trunks and a red cape, and his backstory is that he's the last survivor of an alien world, calling him "xXSupermanXx" in an effort to evade the name censor doesn't make him your own.

• pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    spinnytop wrote: »
    On the other hand, what if I were to use a character I created here in some other media? Say for example I started up a saturday morning cartoon starring Kagami The Amazing Magical Girl. If Cryptic is supposed to hold a trademark on her, what happens?​​
    Cryptic doesn't have a trademark unless they apply for one, which they won't do because it costs money. Cryptic has copyright over your character's in-game appearance, activity, name, etc, as well as any derivative works. If your character is based on an out-of-game concept, they don't seem to acquire ownership over the original concept and derivative works of the original concept should still be yours -- but you have granted them permission to make use of your in-game character.

In general you would be better off creating a new similar character.
    Cryptic doesn't have a trademark unless they apply for one, which they won't do because it costs money. Cryptic has copyright over your character's in-game appearance, activity, name, etc, as well as any derivative works. If your character is based on an out-of-game concept, they don't seem to acquire ownership over the original concept and derivative works of the original concept should still be yours -- but you have granted them permission to make use of your in-game character.

In general you would be better off creating a new similar character.

Thats why I made a cat girl called Nephthtys. Those are a dime a dozen over at Fur Affinity. If you have a truly original awesome character do not make it in any MMO at all.
  • avianosavianos Posts: 6,028 Arc User
    edited August 2018
    OP Why would you even want to make clones of DC and Marvel anyway?​​
    Post edited by avianos on
    POWERFRAME REVAMPS, NEW POWERS and BUG FIXES > Recycled Content and Events and even costumes at this point Introvert guy who use CO to make his characters playable and get experimental with Viable FF Theme builds! Running out of Unique FF builds due to the lack of updates and synergiesPlaying since 1 February 2011 98+ Characters (7 ATs, 91 FFs) ALTitis for Life!
    avianos wrote: »
    OP Why would you even to make clones of DC and Marvel anyway?

His dream is to stand in a crowd of 50 Iron Mans, all trying to act like they're the real one o3o​​

His dream is to stand in a crowd of 50 Iron Mans, all trying to act like they're the real one o3o​​

He wants to stand in a crowd of 50 bearded drunk men? Thats easy just visit Glasgow on a Friday night.
    edited August 2018

His dream is to stand in a crowd of 50 Iron Mans, all trying to act like they're the real one o3o

He wants to stand in a crowd of 50 bearded drunk men? Thats easy just visit Glasgow on a Friday night.

I googled "glasgow on a friday night" and got this
    big-night-out.jpg​​
  • that's the sanitized version - the REAL version contains far fewer clothes​​
    #LegalizeAwoo
  • avianosavianos Posts: 6,028 Arc User
    edited August 2018

His dream is to stand in a crowd of 50 Iron Mans, all trying to act like they're the real one o3o

The funny thing is, i have seen CLONES of copyrighted properties "roleplaying" ingame and fighting who is the original/better/faker/evil-twin onion-50.gif​​
    POWERFRAME REVAMPS, NEW POWERS and BUG FIXES > Recycled Content and Events and even costumes at this point Introvert guy who use CO to make his characters playable and get experimental with Viable FF Theme builds! Running out of Unique FF builds due to the lack of updates and synergiesPlaying since 1 February 2011 98+ Characters (7 ATs, 91 FFs) ALTitis for Life!
    edited August 2018
    "I'm the real Iron Man!"
    "No I am!"
    "No, it's me you're a clone!"
    "No YOURE a clone!"

"Ladies ladies... you're all clones, and there's plenty of defaults to go around."​​
  • combatclown81combatclown81 Posts: 86 Arc User
    bulgarex wrote: »
    Hey, the Champions IP is already replete with recognizable analogues/homages to well-known comic characters: Prince Marus/Aquaman-Namor.

Isn't the guy in the green tights in Vibora Bay the Aquaman homage? Can't recall his name atm.

• amphibian​​
    #LegalizeAwoo
  • colonelmarikcolonelmarik Posts: 185 Arc User
    Most of my characters are based on existing characters. I just enjoy that. However, I go to considerable lengths to not COPY the characters. For example, I have a character based on Superman, called "The Canadian Shield." He has the same powers as Superman, and his backstory borrows heavily from Captain America. His costume exactly copies that of Superman, but with different colours (red & white). This character was fine in CoH, and has never had any trouble here.

I don't see any issues with making a character "based" on an existing one, but you can't go making exact copies.

As an aside, it's also fine to make characters based on mythology, like Thor or Hercules, because those are not characters anyone has ownership of... as long as they don't copy the appearance of the Marvel or DC characters.
    Once, I was simply called Mojo. Now, I'm forced into a new name, but don't be fooled, I'm the original STO Mojo!

Crafting, Exploration and Interaction as it should be:
    http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1108521
    edited September 2018
    Most of my characters are based on existing characters. I just enjoy that. However, I go to considerable lengths to not COPY the characters. For example, I have a character based on Superman, called "The Canadian Shield." He has the same powers as Superman, and his backstory borrows heavily from Captain America. His costume exactly copies that of Superman, but with different colours (red & white). This character was fine in CoH, and has never had any trouble here.

I don't see any issues with making a character "based" on an existing one, but you can't go making exact copies.
    Those are the "homages" mentioned earlier. Hypernova, who I cited from my own guys on the last page, started off as a Superman homage, which is why he got eye beams mixed in with his flying-brick powers. (I'll probably add Cold Breath next time he gets a power.)
    As an aside, it's also fine to make characters based on mythology, like Thor or Hercules, because those are not characters anyone has ownership of... as long as they don't copy the appearance of the Marvel or DC characters.
    Although if I went that route, I'd probably name him Herakles instead, from the original Greek myths. (I'd also include something about his still atoning for his crimes - Herakles was driven mad and killed his wife and children, which is why he had to perform a series of impossible labors as punishment.) I'd also try to find a different weather god - Thor was hardly the only god of lightning out there... :smile:

• but he's the most well-known next to zeus...although there definitely have to be more, probably among the japanese, central and south american native cultures (i.e. aztecs, mayans and inca) and maybe northern native americans too...though, they don't technically have gods, they have guardian spirits, and any related to lightning are probably general weather types rather than specifically lightning​​
    #LegalizeAwoo
  • jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,428 Arc User
    I only have one character who is really intended as an homage, but only involving the name: Prince Keerg of Ruler of Subterranea. Homage is to Namor.
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
  • mithrosnomoremithrosnomore Posts: 521 Arc User
    edited September 2018

I never found the costume pieces to be able to reproduce my two mains in CoH, and one of them doesn't even have a really good power set to use.

Edit: That is to say that I couldn't reproduce the costume on one of them. I absolutely used the same name and basic concept, adapted to the CO setting, for one of my "mains".

The other I just can't make without a good equivalent to the energy blast set, though I did borrow some concepts.

Though to be fair, these are characters that I had made years earlier for the Champions PnP game and even going back further than that, I have just had to adjust them to fit in to the systems of CoX and CO.
    Post edited by mithrosnomore on
  • dreadjaws2dreadjaws2 Posts: 58 Arc User
    This right here is the major reason. Copyright and trademark law is excessively complicated already, but if you're creating, say, Spider-Man in the CO character creator you're essentially giving Cryptic the ownership of that character, which, of course, cannot legally happen because Marvel already owns it.

The entire thing depends on just how many similarities are to certain characters. If you make a giant green guy, call him "The Green Monster" or something like that and give it boots and gloves it won't be a problem. Now, if you call him "Huulk" or "Hukl" you're obviously pushing it. Granted, things aren't as hard as they were years ago. DC (then National) won a lawsuit against the creators of Shazam (then Captain Marvel) because of the character's similarities. Nowadays, if you make a character that's similar enough to Superman as Shazam is you won't be getting in trouble.

Now, at this point I doubt Marvel considers CO enough of a threat to even waste resources in a lawsuit, but, you know, it's still against the ToS. It's honestly just much more fun to create your own character in any case. I confess I have used clones for "disposable" toons (those that I need to use just for a bit to farm stuff in events), and the reason I've done that is that I tend to get really attached to the characters I create, so it's much more painful to delete those.
    dreadjaws2 wrote: »
    Now, at this point I doubt Marvel considers CO enough of a threat to even waste resources in a lawsuit...
    Actually, they kind of have to. Trademark law in the US is phrased rather poorly; the relevant section of law requires that the trademark be "vigorously defended", but doesn't define what constitutes a "vigorous" defense. And the consequences can be quite serious - Aspirin used to be a trademark of Bayer Pharmaceuticals way back when, but when smaller companies started making their knockoff "aspirin tablets", Bayer failed to defend the trademark, and lost it. (That's also why Kimberly-Clark will come down on you like a ton of soft, Vitamin-E-lotion-soaked bricks if you market your "facial tissue" under the name Kleenex. And God save the photocopier manufacturer who calls the process "xeroxing"...)

• flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited September 2018
    And it's not Marvel behind the lawsuit. It's the friggin Mickey Mouse...ehhh Disney.
    :#
    Because we all know, that CO killed Marvel Online....Heroes.
    :#:#
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
  • jasinblazejasinblaze Posts: 1,360 Arc User
    i met this kid in game the night he made this post, pretty sure he quit then.
    jasinblaze wrote: »
    i met this kid in game the night he made this post, pretty sure he quit then.

Wouldn't be surprised.
  • themightyzeniththemightyzenith Posts: 4,599 Arc User
    It was interesting to see the devs brand a number of costumes as clones on the Twitch stream for the CC the other night. They were applying the term to some costumes that we would normally have considered as homages.
    zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods
    Wasn't on the Twitch stream, but from what I've seen in game, some people think "homage" means "I can exactly reproduce this major-publisher character, because I'm just one person and they won't care." Precise (or near-precise) costumes, names, backgrounds... Used to be mostly Superman and Hulk clones, but recently I've noticed a lot of clones from anime series and video games. (How many shouty "ninjas" in orange jumpsuits or alien monkey-men throwing fireballs does one city need, anyway?)

edited September 2018
    Wasn't on the Twitch stream, but from what I've seen in game, some people think "homage" means "I can exactly reproduce this major-publisher character, because I'm just one person and they won't care."

That's true, but I've also seen a lot of people in-game think that if someone has a character that is in some way similar to an existing IP then it is automatically a 'clone'.
    zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods
  • beezeezebeezeeze Posts: 927 Arc User
    the devs were playing it safe with clones during the stream.. and even still some of those homages as cool as they were... were skirting pretty close to clone territory.(I am sorry giant Marvin the Martian)

beezeeze wrote: »
    (I am sorry giant Marvin the Martian)

I feel like making a clone giant will only make it more noticeable to the default squad o3o​​
  • ealford1985ealford1985 Posts: 3,582 Arc User
    I have to look at the Marvin again...but I’m pretty sure he wasn’t a clone.

Close....but I’m pretty sure he was fine.
    I have to look at the Marvin again...but I’m pretty sure he wasn’t a clone.

Close....but I’m pretty sure he was fine.

Then why is beeze apologizing u3u​​
    Because he was pretty much eliminated by judges on the spot.

If he's apologizing then it means he knows he was in the wrong. I mean, I'd say I know what that's like but all my characters are originals o3o​​

If he's apologizing then it means he knows he was in the wrong. I mean, I'd say I know what that's like but all my characters are originals o3o​​

...the hell you talking about.
    ...the hell you talking about.

He was eliminated because he is immoral u3u I get the feeling you are immoral as well, and should probably be eliminated​​
    If he's apologizing then it means he knows he was in the wrong. ​​

The person who has that costume hasn't apologised.
    zrdRBy8.png