test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

June Subscriber Reward and the Premium Pack!

12346»

Comments

• ilyensilyens Posts: 38 Arc User
    Yeah, it is kinda funny that everything is character bound (Auras, Costume slots [best update ever 07.06.2018], Gear, Devices) and you need to delete a character (with everything said character has) to start a new.

Not if the character limit was a problem for me, since I have only one for each role (dps, tank, healer and cc), but I can see others' point of view.

With deleting a character, you lose a lot more than just a character. This is not cool at all.
  • circleofpsi#4619 circleofpsi Posts: 2,913 Arc User
    edited June 2018
    sterga wrote: »
    In what stupid world does a company shut down one of their top five games? I know the thing with the garbage way gold subs were going to be handled was dumb, but wow, shutting down one of their most popular games? Really?

The games PW has shut down this year were dead. I mean I played some of those games years ago and saw maybe two or three people in 30 minutes dead. No one screamed about CO's death when PW shut down the Immortal games earlier this year. Oh and Gigantic is shutting down next month. You know, because Motiga was "downsized" and all. Runic was shut down at the end of last year. Where was the outrage that CO was next on the chopping block then?

I suspect PW / Cryptic is standardizing the subs for their games and perhaps cleaning up the half-**** f2p conversion of CO. There is no way in hell PW is going to waste dev time making stuff like the Premium Pack (minimal effort most of it probably was) just to turn around and dump the whole game into the toilet. You will know CO is on the road to death when they move the devs to another game and replace them with nothing.​​

Couldn't have said it better myself.

The main issue with the Premium Pack/Subscription change isn't that it signals the game's death in the near future, but that it ensures (or would ensure, if it went live as-is) that the game would never recover its older players, let alone attract newer ones, which would undoubtedly lead to CO's death eventually.

If anything, pushing Lifetime subs and FF slots more is a cash-grab intended to show the execs that the game still has life. A misguided attempt, to be sure, but not one that spells doom in itself.

This, although I don't see this thing dying anytime soon, besides why whuold they pull back the changes if they feel its not going to help the players, a normal Dev whuold not care and just do it anyway.

If they wanted to close it down, they could've done it years ago, with a click of a button.

Stop, The, Doom.Crying.
    Psi.
    If they wanted to close it down, they could've done it years ago, with a click of a button.

You do not like money too much it seems.
  • avianosavianos Posts: 6,028 Arc User
    edited June 2018
    What's with you People calling D O O M when you don't even play the game anymore and/or don't even know about the latest updates/revamps/new content
    Jesus Tapdancing Christ

That's how you lose all credibility​​
    POWERFRAME REVAMPS, NEW POWERS and BUG FIXES > Recycled Content and Events and even costumes at this point Introvert guy who use CO to make his characters playable and get experimental with Viable FF Theme builds! Running out of Unique FF builds due to the lack of updates and synergiesPlaying since 1 February 2011 98+ Characters (7 ATs, 91 FFs) ALTitis for Life!
  • themightyzeniththemightyzenith Posts: 4,599 Arc User
    edited June 2018
    avianos wrote: »
    That's how you lose all credibility​​

I agree with this. Worse though, when you cry doom you take away some credibility from all the others posters who oppose the thing you oppose, but who do so without crying doom.

It's counterproductive.

zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods
    ilyens wrote: »

You do not like money too much it seems.

In a way, lol
    Psi.
  • revanantmoriturirevanantmorituri Posts: 391 Arc User
    Just adding to the list of character-bound idiocies: emotes.
    -
    Formerly @Seschat pre PWEmerger. @Seschat on the Titan boards.

Supporter of the Titan Project.
  • jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,428 Arc User
    Maybe the idea is that when the 59 limit is imposed they imagine many people will just buy retcon tokens to change existing lvl 40s into something else? Won't help if you want to change a tank to a healer or for thematically appropriate auras. Maybe the imagine people will buy a 2nd LTS and start again!
    Yeah, it is kinda funny that everything is character bound (Auras, Costume slots [best update ever 07.06.2018], Gear, Devices) and you need to delete a character (with everything said character has) to start a new.

JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
  • jonesing4jonesing4 Posts: 800 Arc User
    When I can't make more characters, that's when the novelty of the game wears off for me. I don't wanna quit the game, but this is the first time in this game's life that I've been considering it. I'm in no way trying to use that as some sort of threat to them, just being honest with how I feel.

Ayup. Agreed with all of this.
    jonesing4 wrote: »
    When I can't make more characters, that's when the novelty of the game wears off for me. I don't wanna quit the game, but this is the first time in this game's life that I've been considering it. I'm in no way trying to use that as some sort of threat to them, just being honest with how I feel.

Ayup. Agreed with all of this.

:+1:

zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods
  • draogndraogn Posts: 1,269 Arc User
    jaazaniah1 wrote: »
    Maybe the idea is that when the 59 limit is imposed they imagine many people will just buy retcon tokens to change existing lvl 40s into something else? Won't help if you want to change a tank to a healer or for thematically appropriate auras. Maybe the imagine people will buy a 2nd LTS and start again!

Those who think that are delusional if they think that will work. A few years ago I might have considered a second lts, but not now. Especially not if they remove the benefit of gaining a new character slot. I've had my account since the original release, there's no way I'm spending 200-300 dollars for a blank account with none of the perks/achieves/unlocks I've spent the years earning.
  • fusionax77fusionax77 Posts: 12 Arc User
    I didn't realize so much of the CO community was an echo chamber.
  • ealford1985ealford1985 Posts: 3,582 Arc User
    edited June 2018
    fusionax77 wrote: »

You're so enlightened. Please help us sheeple to break free, oh independent thinker.

zrdRBy8.png
  • fusionax77fusionax77 Posts: 12 Arc User

You're so enlightened. Please help us sheeple to break free, oh independent thinker.

Challenge accepted, though I doubt you'll actually read everything, as some in this thread seem to have wanton demonstrated.

What I see as the legitimate concerns are things to do with Cryptic's implementation of things system-side. The ending of Freeform Gold as a concept without any suitable replacement, I will agree that something needs to be done there before the gradual phasing out of subscriptions. What would be most fair to veteran players is to ensure that as little as possible changes for them, that they could end their subscriptions with little concern. But these are changes that need to happen, whether Cryptic or the community likes them or not. I'd love to go in-depth on how these changes could be done, but one thing that eludes me is the existing process of turning a Silver slot into a Gold slot beyond "just subbing" and I'm not willing to commit to a subscription only for the sake of research.

But on the other side of this, there's the people who want Cryptic to listen to them, but don't care to listen if Cryptic actually has anything to say, the people who end up with a wall to complain at rather than a person. If Cryptic says anything, they're already prejudging what's said and scouring it for negatives. Example, there's a costume cap per character of 40, and a cap of 59 character slots per account. Somehow, no one seems to have stopped to think whether or not the methods they've been exceeding both caps was due to the previously mentioned broken systems, and instead a large portion have turned to being offended at Cryptic for daring to do anything relating to these issues in any fashion, no matter what, and I can't help but view the complainees as just fishing for new choir members.

Now, I applaud Cryptic for actually acting on a community concern here. It's a nice deviation from seems to be their usual MO of letting a disaster hit, then only sticking around to do some cleanup and not much else. I can only hope they make the right adjustments to the system instead of universally backpedaling from the idea of ending subscriptions entirely, as I've seen it suggested that these changes came about as a result of a policy change by PWE. So if we're ever going to talk about what is going to "kill" the game, I don't think it has anything to do with whatever marketing moves that Cryptic pulls. Let's be real here, the game has survived so many allegedly fatal blows, it's practically immortal.

But what I think can kill the game, that nobody in the community will be able to stop, is PWE deciding to have the plug pulled. I figure that right now is probably the make or break time for Champions Online. I wish I could have good faith in the idea that you all would support the game no matter where it goes, as some of you seem so wanton to say, but the amount of complaints that I see even in this thread, how repeated they've been, and in several dozen other threads that have been made in this idea's wake, tells me that Cryptic doesn't so much have a fanbase as they do a bunch of people that like to say they're fans but really are so done with the game, the only reason they continue to play it is because of nostalgia and nothing else.
  • biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Arc User
    Example, there's a costume cap per character of 40, and a cap of 59 character slots per account. Somehow, no one seems to have stopped to think whether or not the methods they've been exceeding both caps was due to the previously mentioned broken systems, and instead a large portion have turned to being offended at Cryptic for daring to do anything relating to these issues in any fashion, no matter what, and I can't help but view the complainees as just fishing for new choir members.

I don't know why you see, to think you're like, the only one that "gets" this. We were told specifically that it was a bug a week before it was to be fixed. What many of us thought was a feature for over eight years was suddenly going to be pulled. This is a "feature" a lot of us subscribed for. It's something we counted on. It was one of our goals. Some people like to collect costumes and some like to collect the best gear and some like to grind out rank 9 mods and some like to do a combination of these things. If any of these things suddenly popped up as being a bug, lots of people would be upset by it. What if there was an undocumented cap of 100 costume pieces you could unlock, and in a week, if you'd already collected 100 pieces, you could no longer collect any more unless you deleted some? You want the new pirate costume? Well how much do you really use that robot cowboy outfit? Just get rid of it to make room. You already had Legion Gear but you want Justice? Oh sorry, a character was only ever meant to have one set of four-slot gear, ever. Hey you got your character decked out with rank 9 mods? Oops, we just realized they cause problems, so from now on they'll all cap at rank 5.

For those of us who thought all this time this was a feature, and was one of the main reasons we continue to subscribe and play, it's a heavy blow. We all absolutely understand that there used to be an undocumented limit, but it's absolutely unfortunate that it's getting fixed and pulled on us now. Back when the first free freeform slot was offered, I couldn't claim it. I talked to one of the developers at the time (I think it was LadyGadfly) and she had no answers for me. Either she decided not to tell me that there was a cap, or she didn't even know. So, fairly undocumented limit here. You've got to understand that even though we get that there was once supposed to be a limit, to pull out the rug from under us in this manner isn't cool, whether it was ever intended or not.
    biffsig.jpg
    Something to keep in mind is that people may have bought per character emotes, per character auras, extra aura slots (also per character) and possibly per character costume slots (the only type you can now buy) for many of these characters.

Add character bound devices, character bound vehicles and character bound gear to that mix too, as well as all of the character bound in-game currencies.

That's a lot to delete.
    zrdRBy8.png
  • *views Smackwell's Champions community collage and reminisces about a time when CO was finally feeling like home*

:'(
  • pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    Something to keep in mind is that people may have bought per character emotes, per character auras, extra aura slots (also per character) and possibly per character costume slots (the only type you can now buy) for many of these characters.
    For 59 different alts? That's a huge investment for a character you simply aren't going to play a lot (no-one has enough time to play every member of a legion of alts extensively).
    edited June 2018

Add character bound devices, character bound vehicles and character bound gear to that mix too, as well as all of the character bound in-game currencies.

That's a lot to delete.

For 59 different alts? That's a huge investment for a character you simply aren't going to play a lot (no-one has enough time to play every member of a legion of alts extensively).

You don't have to play a character "extensively" to get per character stuff for it. Some of us have made that type of "huge investment" with our alts (which has benefited CO)..... in fact the game has moved much more significantly towards per character stuff that you can't really get away from it.

The heavy move towards per character stuff has obviously promoted investing individually in characters. Thus deleting a character isn't what it used to be..... in general you lose so much more now compared to before the heavy shift towards character bound.

I wish I could have good faith in the idea that you all would support the game no matter where it goes

That would be a silly promise to make.
    zrdRBy8.png
    Which is why altaholics get pissed on, they don’t understand how they play.

I have tons...probably at least 80% of my roster that have all aura slots bought. And since most are single character auras they are stuck only on that guy, same with the emotes I decided worked for toon.

Do I need to max them out with amazing gear? Do I need to run all the content with them? No...but people do. I don’t tell people how to play their toons, and no one should tell me how to play mine. If someone says they need all 300 of their toons to have justice then who am I to say different?

Plus...isn’t that the whole freaking point? Get people in game to play content? Now they are punished and insulted for it.
  • kyastralkyastral Posts: 342 Arc User
    Well, one thing is certain; changes are going to be made and those changes are going to affect the player base of this game going foward. At this point, all I can do is just keep playing until the devs make a decision. I wonder how long it will take for them to figure out what to do; in my opinion they should be communcating to us every few days to let us know they are still working on a solution. It will us no good if the devs leave us in the dark and have us speculating the worst case scenarios out of thin air for extented periods of time.
    What did I just say?
    Psi.
    cryneting wrote: »
    What did I just say?

Huh?

zrdRBy8.png
    @cryneting dunno...you usually direct everyone back to title.
    lol sorry fokes, wrong topic!

(But on topic: People need to stop thinking the sky is falling)
    Psi.
  • iamruneiamrune Posts: 965 Arc User
    The Premium Pack as an item is not the problem. The problem is how Cryptic has managed their systems.

The character slot cap was 59. Why was this never enforced?

Because one thing I can guess is that the method of granting new slots was so haphazardly designed that it could continue to grant slots beyond the intended cap, because it was never programmed to acknowledge said cap's existence to begin with. This is something that likely existed from the beginning of the game, and was never addressed.

As a player from the friends and family alpha on, I can assure you this is not the case at all. A Dev at that time, eleven years ago now literally told me how excited he was that they had successfully designed a new character system and costume slot system that had no player limits. it was intended that as long as a player want to buy more characters and costume slots, that they always could.

I think the problem was making it so subscribers and LTSers got a free character slot each time they hit 40. It was ultimately a mistake, instead I think it should have generated a coupon for a half price character slot on the account.

unrelated, but back in that alpha, I learned a lot of other cool things that were nipped in the bud by marketing.

For example. it was originally planned that when you used the costume change feature, the name you gave that costume slot would actually change your character's name, as well, since the real identifier for your account was your global handle anyhow. This would greatly benefit Role-players, who could make Civilian Identity costume slots and while wearing them actually have the character name change with it.

Obviously this was dropped when someone realized many non-roleplaying players would just use alternate costume slots to play many different characters [with the same powers] instead of making Alts and thus eventually needing more character slots.

It's completely true, and I have a lot more secrets from behind the old curtains if anyone is interested.
    Obviously this was dropped when someone realized many non-roleplaying players would just use alternate costume slots to play many different characters [with the same powers] instead of making Alts and thus eventually needing more character slots.

As a no role playing person, I do not care about the name of a character once it was given. Plus as a no role playing person, I want to play different skill sets, not the same skill set with different costumes and names. Only role players care about names. No role players care about skills.
    It makes no sense.
  • iamruneiamrune Posts: 965 Arc User

As a no role playing person, I do not care about the name of a character once it was given. Plus as a no role playing person, I want to play different skill sets, not the same skill set with different costumes and names. Only role players care about names. No role players care about skills.
    It makes no sense.

I'm just reporting the results here, I had literally no say in what came out to the live game. I can only report what I directly heard about from the Devs I played with back in the Friends and Family Alpha and the closed beta.
  • flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited June 2018
    cryneting wrote: »
    lol sorry fokes, wrong topic!

(But on topic: People need to stop thinking the sky is falling)

Maybe some of us are Gauls.

Or maybe you're in a wrong topic.

CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • xcelsior41xcelsior41 Posts: 1,056 Arc User
    iamrune wrote: »
    The Premium Pack as an item is not the problem. The problem is how Cryptic has managed their systems.

The character slot cap was 59. Why was this never enforced?

Because one thing I can guess is that the method of granting new slots was so haphazardly designed that it could continue to grant slots beyond the intended cap, because it was never programmed to acknowledge said cap's existence to begin with. This is something that likely existed from the beginning of the game, and was never addressed.

As a player from the friends and family alpha on, I can assure you this is not the case at all. A Dev at that time, eleven years ago now literally told me how excited he was that they had successfully designed a new character system and costume slot system that had no player limits. it was intended that as long as a player want to buy more characters and costume slots, that they always could.

I think the problem was making it so subscribers and LTSers got a free character slot each time they hit 40. It was ultimately a mistake, instead I think it should have generated a coupon for a half price character slot on the account.

unrelated, but back in that alpha, I learned a lot of other cool things that were nipped in the bud by marketing.

For example. it was originally planned that when you used the costume change feature, the name you gave that costume slot would actually change your character's name, as well, since the real identifier for your account was your global handle anyhow. This would greatly benefit Role-players, who could make Civilian Identity costume slots and while wearing them actually have the character name change with it.

It's completely true, and I have a lot more secrets from behind the old curtains if anyone is interested.

Oh wow! that does sound pretty cool actually that you got to be in that
    Buffing everything to stupid high levels and nerfing everything to piss poor levels yields the same results, but not the same community reactions.

42 40s, LTSer.
  • sistersiliconsistersilicon Posts: 1,687 Arc User
    iamrune wrote: »

So that explains why costume names have the same restrictions as character names, and I couldn’t name a costume with a black lightning bolt motif “Black Bolt”. They eliminated the name change, but never decoupled the restricted name list. Maybe I should have named that kit “What Kind Of Name Is Blackagar Boltagon Anyway?” to get around it.
    Choose your enemies carefully, because they will define you / Make them interesting, because in some ways they will mind you
    They're not there in the beginning, but when your story ends / Gonna last with you longer than your friends
  • Since the monthly gold subscription is going to be phased out, i'm guessing that means there will no longer be monthly gold costume pieces. What will become of the existing ones? Is the only way we can get them to become a lifetime subscriber? What about maybe adding them to the Premium Pack or the collection store? My clown could really use that pool toy..

Also, is being a lifetime subscriber the only way we'll be able to turn a character from a regular AT to a Freeform? Maybe there could be something in the Zen store we could purchase for this ability?

Another idea I have; we have the ability to change a character's name, how about something in the Zen store to change a character's gender?
  • casualslackscasualslacks Posts: 17 Arc User
    0) We don't know what's going to happen with subs at this point.

1) There will be no new monthly gold costume pieces, but all the old ones will still be available from the same vendor that the old ones are available from now. I imagine it'll just be one of the perks of buying a LTS. See the original announcement post in the news.

2) Cryptic may be able to put in some sort of Gold upgrade token that will upgrade your Silver slots. They've said that if they are able to do this, it wouldn't be done in time for the transition.

3) It's 2018. I don't even know what words mean anymore. The zeitgeist is upending our civilization's philosophy of language.
    World Class Chump
  • torduvidetorduvide Posts: 23 Arc User
    Over a week later than originally announced and the premium pack still isn't available for sale. Talk about a major disappointment.

The moment I saw the premium pack I said "Imma get that. Imma get that FIRST thing." But nope. I don't get to spend my money here. I never wanted to spend money in a game so much that won't let me spend money in it. The Premium Pack is pretty much the single thing I've been wanting since the game went f2p. :-1:
    Uh huh...
  • beezeezebeezeeze Posts: 927 Arc User
    torduvide wrote: »
    Over a week later than originally announced and the premium pack still isn't available for sale. Talk about a major disappointment.

The moment I saw the premium pack I said "Imma get that. Imma get that FIRST thing." But nope. I don't get to spend my money here. I never wanted to spend money in a game so much that won't let me spend money in it. The Premium Pack is pretty much the single thing I've been wanting since the game went f2p. :-1:

Just wait a bit, you've waited this long already(since I assume you didn't literally join yesterday)the premium pack will very likely be released in some form... after they have addressed all the issues.

• riveroceanriverocean Posts: 1,690 Arc User
    edited June 2018
    Meh.. comment deleted by poster. :/
    Questions About AT Play? Visit Silverwolfx11's Updated AT Guides!
  • starclipstarclip Posts: 24 Arc User
    Premium Goodies !? Me waits, but no clue to what is true.
    I missed out on May's Reward, and ...I'll gladly trade you June for a May reward today. *coughs*

Also, maybe have a limited time Deluxe Prem-Pack, which comes with one FF slot at a greater cost. But, DON'T GO CUUR-AYE-ZEE!

kthnksbye
    Groove Noobin'@starclip
    edited June 2018
    Any news about the monthly gold subs/premium pack yet, @ambassadorkael#6946 ?
    zrdRBy8.png
  • mettrekmettrek Posts: 20 Arc User
    I'm adding my voice, concerns, frustration, and objections to this change.

I typically pay for a monthly sub for two or three months at a time and then let it lapse when I get bored. I keep a few silver ATs so that I can still jump in and explore a bit if I don't/can't pay. Now if I let my sub lapse even once then I lose access to everything I earned (my FFs, etc) with no way to get it back except buying a VERY risky LTS.

This is a terrible decision. When this change goes live I will consider this game to be officially dead. I'm happy to occasionally drop $15/mo (or less when I can find cheap game cards online) in order to have some fun revisiting the game. The change to F2P was handle poorly (initially) but I've been happy with the fact that even when silver I've had access to nearly everything.

This new "free" system essentially punishes everyone who was willing to pay as they go. Many lack the confidence (or disposable income) to drop a large lump-sum on a game that has had very, very little in the way of significant content added in many years. I've been playing off and on for over 8 years and have seen all the content.

The real question is, what are you adding to justify a huge one-time LTS payment in order to play the characters we paid for? Will there be new power sets? Will there be new zones to explore? Will there be dozens of new costume sets? You're asking us to invest in several years' worth of play for a game that many of us have already fully explored. How do you expect anyone to justify that? New alerts hardly count as worthwhile content additions, to say nothing of the grindfests of limited-time "events" that do little to immerse characters in the storyline.

You are losing subscribers (revenue) because you've added nothing of real value to the game in several years. If you want to earn revenue then add content. People will buy Zen, subscribe faithfully, and even buy an LTS if they can see that the devs care about the game and are working on it. I see nothing that makes me think this game might be around for a year,or if it does, that it will have added anything significantly new in that time. New hairstyles, outfits and auras are not content, they are frills. I'm not buying a LTS for frills.

To the devs: I suggest you get your resumes updated and start talking to industry contacts. I have a feeling you'll be needing to look for new jobs soon based on this change to CO.
  • arimikamiarimikami Posts: 475 Arc User
    So, I claimed my premium pack. I got my title, which I don't care about, and 2 exclusive tokens that are worthless for me since I already have every costume piece in the exclusive store.

I have not received the account wide costume slot or the 6 character slots I was supposed to get when claiming the premium pack. Every time I open up the zen store, a bubble pops up saying I have coupons, but every time I click on the coupon tab, it says I don't have any coupons, so... what gives?
  • deadman20deadman20 Posts: 1,529 Arc User
    arimikami wrote: »
    So, I claimed my premium pack. I got my title, which I don't care about, and 2 exclusive tokens that are worthless for me since I already have every costume piece in the exclusive store.

I have not received the account wide costume slot or the 6 character slots I was supposed to get when claiming the premium pack. Every time I open up the zen store, a bubble pops up saying I have coupons, but every time I click on the coupon tab, it says I don't have any coupons, so... what gives?

You don't gain the extra slots if you've gotten the ones for subscribing in the past. These are the same slots you would have gained for subscribing, not an additional set on top of that.

The coupon pop-up is a bug. It happens because you attempted to see what coupons were available. This stays with you until the game is closed. Leaving it alone will ensure you never get the pop-up that lies straight to your face. The Coupons feature is a useless leftover that should be removed from the Zen Store altogether. There has never been a coupon issued for CO since it was added, and there likely never will be.​​
    Steam Guide to Modifications and Equipment (Champions Online) - DZPlayer's Builds (Last updated: 3/26/2018)
    And I will always be @DZPlayer122.

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!