Options

PSA: Avenger's Surprise Attack spec has been fixed

lezard21lezard21 Posts: 1,510 Arc User
kJJFsNq.gif

SHOOK​​

Comments

• Options
    pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    Bug with this fix: the buff is applied by making an attack, so it doesn't apply to the first attack.
    "I was ready for it when you shot me, but the second shot, that was a total surprise".
  • Options
    chaosdrgnz43chaosdrgnz43 Posts: 1,674 Arc User
    lezard21 wrote: »
    kJJFsNq.gif

SHOOK​​
    giphy_by_baymaxbig_hero_6-d863gzq.gif
    mfZ37eB.png
    Feel free to visit my websites!^^:
    DeviantART|FurAffinity|
    Twitter
  • Options
    spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    edited July 2018
    Oh no! Not another fix! How will the community be do a thing what is?!?
    tenor.gif
    Is character size affected by this?​​
  • Options
    leuchadegoutiereleuchadegoutiere Posts: 136 Arc User
    edited July 2018
    Does it means Surprise Attack works now with AR, Sniper Rifle and 2gm ?

Well, anyhow, if it doesn't even work on the very first shot, it doesn't even matter in fact.
    @Leucha - Cascade, Praise, Gluh, Sanglots, Chernozem, Saadhaka, Ralsershei, La Lice, Cardinale and so on
  • Options
    avianosavianos Posts: 6,043 Arc User
    edited July 2018
    Are themed builds affected by this? :grimace:​​
    POWERFRAME REVAMPS, NEW POWERS and BUG FIXES > Recycled Content and Events and even costumes at this point Introvert guy who use CO to make his characters playable and get experimental with Viable FF Theme builds! Running out of Unique FF builds due to the lack of updates and synergiesPlaying since 1 February 2011 98+ Characters (7 ATs, 91 FFs) ALTitis for Life!
  • Options
    Does it means Surprise Attack works now with AR, Sniper Rifle and 2gm ?

Now it's easily demonstrable that it was not working with those powers since the critical chance bonus shows up in your stat windows.

But yeah, the fix also has the consequence that your first attack, aka the "surprise attack", does not have increased crit.​​
  • Options
    leuchadegoutiereleuchadegoutiere Posts: 136 Arc User
    There was a middle ground between super OP to totaly senseless :p
    @Leucha - Cascade, Praise, Gluh, Sanglots, Chernozem, Saadhaka, Ralsershei, La Lice, Cardinale and so on
  • Options
    jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,455 Arc User
    edited July 2018
    How does one know if SA is procing? I can't see any icons or any indication in the combat log when trying out test dummies.
    Post edited by jaazaniah1 on
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
  • Options
    jaazaniah1 wrote: »
    How does one know if SA is procing?
    It shows up on your character sheet as a bonus to your crit chance.
  • Options
    How does one know if SA is procing? I can't see any icons or any indication in the combat log when trying out test dummies.

Upon hitting an enemy above 90% with a single target attack you get an invisible 6 second buff that grants you 10/20% global crit chance (depending on rank) that can be viewed in your character sheet. After the enemy's hp drops below 90% you stop getting this buff and thus your character sheet's crit chance does not change.​​
  • Options
    spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    edited July 2018
    See that's interesting now because you can keep "surprise attacking" any mob in the group you're attacking that's still above 90% to keep the bonus going.... so that could lead to some strategies.​​
  • Options
    spinnytop wrote: »
    See that's interesting now because you can keep "surprise attacking" any mob in the group you're attacking that's still above 90% to keep the bonus going.... so that could lead to some strategies.​​
    In theory yes, but I suspect impractically annoying to actually do.
  • Options
    aesicaaesica Posts: 2,537 Arc User
    The RP possibilities of this change are now utterly ruined!

No but in all seriousness...lol at this "fix."
    (Hopefully) Useful CO Resources: HeroCreator (character planner), Cosmic Timers/Alert Checklist, Blood Moon Map, Anniversary Cat Map, and more (eventually, anyway).
  • Options
    lineghostlineghost Posts: 14 Arc User
    lezard21 wrote: »
    Upon hitting an enemy above 90% with a single target attack you get an invisible 6 second buff that grants you 10/20% global crit chance (depending on rank) that can be viewed in your character sheet. After the enemy's hp drops below 90% you stop getting this buff and thus your character sheet's crit chance does not change.​​

So does that mean you can tap a single target attack, pick up the +20% crit chance and then go to town with an AoE for 6 seconds?
  • Options
    magpieuk2014magpieuk2014 Posts: 1,268 Arc User
    Yup. Probably better to tap an attack with a Stun and then Kaboom your helpless enemies into tomorrow, though. I have an Archer character that will enjoy this....
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Posts: 4,915 Arc User
    Yup. Probably better to tap an attack with a Stun and then Kaboom your helpless enemies into tomorrow, though. I have an Archer character that will enjoy this....
    I approve of this plan. :D
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • Options
    redcastle56redcastle56 Posts: 133 Arc User
    Using my marksman AT, what would be the right sequence to best take advantage of this,
    I thinking tap Straight shot to get the debuff, tap explosive arrow (with kaboom adv) to get that set, then let storm of arrows rip for the rest. Does that sound right?
  • Options
    I'm kind of curious how best to test the dps on a build which has Surprise Attack (and thus is using the Avenger tree). I.e. test dummies never lose hit points, so they are always at more than 90% HP. Running a parser in that context gives a false idea of dps over a long fight, like a cosmic. What's a better way to get a sense of SA's value?
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
  • Options
    kamokamikamokami Posts: 1,633 Arc User
    I'm kind of curious how best to test the dps on a build which has Surprise Attack (and thus is using the Avenger tree). I.e. test dummies never lose hit points, so they are always at more than 90% HP. Running a parser in that context gives a false idea of dps over a long fight, like a cosmic. What's a better way to get a sense of SA's value?

Like you said, it depends on the context of the fight. Is the target's HP going down in even increments of 10% or less per increment?

If it's a mob, well SA is awesome... because you can make it work such that a crit = one shot.

If it's a cosmic, depends on the run. For example, at Kiga the first 70% of hp might be easy / smooth to take down but once the storms roll in with extra dmg when he's below 1/3rd hp then people start dying and he heals and usually not up to 90% where SA would trigger. So then it's not that 90% of the fight is spent without SA.....it's more like 95-98% of the fight is when he's below 90% HP. Same deal with Eido. Or a bad Ape run. In smooth runs SA might proc for more of the fight and be more useful.

For Dino it could be the inverse. If the team keeps missing checks Dino could keep refilling its hp past the 90% mark increasing SA procs.

As for how to parse a build in the PH that has SA you could take the assumption that the HP of your target will go down in even increments over the course of a few minutes. In this case, it means that 90% of the time you wont have SA and 10% of the time you will have it. So just recreate that.

Parse your DPS without SA for 5 minutes (300 seconds)....label that as DPS A. Then go pick up SA, parse your DPS for a few minutes and label that as your DPS B.

Now you will only have DPS B for 10% of the fight, and DPS A for 90% of the fight. Say the average fight lasts 10 minutes...aka 600 seconds. You will have DPS B for 60s and DPS A for 540s. B*60 + A*540 = total dmg over 600s.

total dmg / 600s = combined DPS for the fight where you had SA active 10% of the time.

But again, this is on the assumption that the targets hp is going down evenly. If it's not then SA will either be active for more or even less of the fight.

TLDR: parse with SA and then parse without SA. Determine the right % mix of SA based on what fight you are optimizing for and then blend it in accordingly to get your final expected DPS.

• Options
    kamokami wrote: »
    As for how to parse a build in the PH that has SA you could take the assumption that the HP of your target will go down in even increments over the course of a few minutes. In this case, it means that 90% of the time you wont have SA and 10% of the time you will have it. So just recreate that.

Parse your DPS without SA for 5 minutes (300 seconds)....label that as DPS A. Then go pick up SA, parse your DPS for a few minutes and label that as your DPS B.

Now you will only have DPS B for 10% of the fight, and DPS A for 90% of the fight. Say the average fight lasts 10 minutes...aka 600 seconds. You will have DPS B for 60s and DPS A for 540s. B*60 + A*540 = total dmg over 600s.

total dmg / 600s = combined DPS for the fight where you had SA active 10% of the time.

But again, this is on the assumption that the targets hp is going down evenly. If it's not then SA will either be active for more or even less of the fight.

TLDR: parse with SA and then parse without SA. Determine the right % mix of SA based on what fight you are optimizing for and then blend it in accordingly to get your final expected DPS.

I love it when you speak nerd to me mouse-44.gif​​
  • Options
    Note that the 6s buff might go well past 90% if you're dealing with targets you want to kill very fast, such as greens at eido; 6s is a large fraction of the total lifespan of a green.
  • Options
    Thanks for the detailed suggestion. I will give that a try. I'm trying to get a handle on whether Guaridcator or Avengicator will be more useful on a build.
    JwLmWoa.png
  • Options
    aiqaaiqa Posts: 2,620 Arc User
    Since there isn't any DR on crit chance you can just calculate dps.

part of dps that uses surprise attack
    dps * 0.1

add part of dps that doesn't use surprise attack
    + ((dps * 0.9)

divide by crit layer stuff
    / ((1 - CritChance) * ( 1 + OffenseBonus + DamageMod) + CritChance * ( 1 + OffenseBonus + DamageMod + Severity)))

multiply by crit - 0.2
    * ((1 - CritChance - 0.2) * ( 1 + OffenseBonus + DamageMod) + (CritChance - 0.2) * ( 1 + OffenseBonus + DamageMod + Severity))

Or all in all
    dps * 0.1 + ((dps * 0.9) / ((1 - CritChance) * ( 1 + OffenseBonus + DamageMod) + CritChance * ( 1 + OffenseBonus + DamageMod + Severity))) * ((1 - CritChance - 0.2) * ( 1 + OffenseBonus + DamageMod) + (CritChance - 0.2) * ( 1 + OffenseBonus + DamageMod + Severity))

• Options
    aiqa wrote: »
    Since there isn't any DR on crit chance you can just calculate dps.

It's worth noting that the CritChance and Severity numbers still need to come from the parser and not your character sheet especially if you are using any powers/specs in your rotation that modify those two variables during a given fight.
  • Options
    kamokami wrote: »
    It's worth noting that the CritChance and Severity numbers still need to come from the parser.
    Only true if working with effects whose behavior does not match their tooltips.
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    Only true if working with effects whose behavior does not match their tooltips.
    Severity already behaves that way by definition as in the char sheet does not reflect actual parsed severity. As for CritChance, I'd say even when tooltips match the effects, say with LnL+PBR+TC+Find the Mark, you'll still want the numbers to come from the parse as opposed to being based on calculations of tooltips and predicted proc/duration rates.

And if you did want to run the calculation via those predictions I guess you could change the formula to account for them, but I'm guessing that would be more of a pain than just running a 5 min parse.
  • Options
    In any case, the average effect of Surprise Attack is a 1/2% crit increase over the full fight duration, unless the various margin cases (not applying to the first hit, applying for up to 6s after target drops below 90%) are important, or the target spends a disproportionate amount of time at some particular level of health. This makes it almost always worse than Focused Strikes, though other features of the Avenger tree might make up for it.