test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Release Notes 6/7/2018

kaiserin#0958 kaiserin Posts: 3,078 Cryptic Developer
edited June 2018 in Release Notes
Nightmare Event
  • Added Viral Horns and Talons costume pieces to the store and as possible drops from the open missions.

ZEN Store
  • The single costume slot and 2 account wide costume slot items have been retired from the ZEN store.
  • Added 2 and 5 character costume slot items to the ZEN store.
  • Some notes: There is a limit of 40 costume slots per character, this has been the limit since the game launched. The 2 account wide slots bypassed this limit. Individual characters who have more than 40 won't lose access to any of their costume slots, but they will not be able to purchase any new ones.

Nemesis
  • Added Destabilizer Blaster weapon skin to the store.
​​

Comments

• elvenkiamaelvenkiama Posts: 2 Arc User
    Funny enough the True limit to costume slots is 260, after that it breaks on new ones, basically it links to those on the first row. meaning that 261 costume slots really is costume slot 1
  • onlyepicwolfonlyepicwolf Posts: 94 Arc User
    kaizerin wrote: »
    Nightmare Event
      ZEN Store
      • (...) 2 account wide costume slot items have been retired from the ZEN store.
      • Some notes: There is a limit of 40 costume slots per character, this has been the limit since the game launched. The 2 account wide slots bypassed this limit. Individual characters who have more than 40 won't lose access to any of their costume slots, but they will not be able to purchase any new ones.
      ]​​

What? Why? This makes no sense. If it worked since release and was one of the best features for people who make a lot of characters/costumes, why remove it now? Why is the game being put down bit by bit?
    • gerberatetragerberatetra Posts: 821 Arc User
      Nightmare Event

[*] Some notes: There is a limit of 40 costume slots per character, this has been the limit since the game launched. The 2 account wide slots bypassed this limit. Individual characters who have more than 40 won't lose access to any of their costume slots, but they will not be able to purchase any new ones.
      [/list]

[/list]​​

Once again I've long since scooted past a supposed limit in the game >.>

I swear the original coders where absolute incompetent monekys

Here we are now going to the West Side
      Weapons in hand as we go for a ride
      Some may come and some may stay
      Watching out for a sunny day
      Where there's love and darkness and my sidearm

In game as @forgemccain
    • n8mcdn8mcd Posts: 332 Arc User
      THE TOYMASTER IS STILL NOT WORKING FOR EVENT ACTION FIGURE EXCHANGE
    • jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,424 Arc User
      What?! You mean I can only have 2360 costumes across my 59 characters? That's just unacceptable :p !
      JwLmWoa.png
      Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
      Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
    • pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
      I swear the original coders where absolute incompetent monekys
      There's some extremely weird design decisions in CO, but some of that is just an artifact of development cycles.
    • patternwalkerpatternwalker Posts: 167 Arc User
      [*] Some notes: There is a limit of 40 costume slots per character, this has been the limit since the game launched. The 2 account wide slots bypassed this limit. Individual characters who have more than 40 won't lose access to any of their costume slots, but they will not be able to purchase any new ones.​​

The weird thing is that it would seem like CO is leaving money on the table with this. If someone who has 50 costume slots on their toon wants to buy more, why would CO want to turn away that potential income?

Sure, I get that there may be potential problems in the code here, but it seems like the most lucrative fix would be to increase the cap. As it is, some of the most devoted players get frustrated and and won't be able to give CO more money for something they obviously enjoy. Not a great way to encourage people to continue to play or to buy other things in the game.

(As an aside here, I have nowhere near that many costume slots. I recognize that there may not be a lot of players with that many costumes, but the point still stands. It's demoralizing.)
      It would be really nice if the Toymaster ALWAYS accepted event AFs, instead of (failing to) activate event AF turn-ins during the event.
    • navar#3536 navar Posts: 117 Arc User
      Instead of adding more code to the existing problem, by adding more items to this event, you guys should have been trying to figure out what is causing all the lag and rubber banding and time outs ever since you initiated this event. Hopefully by adding more code to this event, you guys didn't make it even worse.
    • avianosavianos Posts: 6,022 Arc User
      I bet the roaming citizens have something to do with the lag :grimace:​​
      POWERFRAME REVAMPS, NEW POWERS and BUG FIXES > Recycled Content and Events and even costumes at this point Introvert guy who use CO to make his characters playable and get experimental with Viable FF Theme builds! Running out of Unique FF builds due to the lack of updates and synergiesPlaying since 1 February 2011 98+ Characters (7 ATs, 91 FFs) ALTitis for Life!
    • spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
      What? Why? This makes no sense. If it worked since release and was one of the best features for people who make a lot of characters/costumes, why remove it now? Why is the game being put down bit by bit?

Information has to be stored somewhere, and server space isn't infinite.
    • johnystelar1johnystelar1 Posts: 67 Arc User
      edited June 2018
      on a side note, i agree with someone on here, this specific event causes some massive lag for people, every single time its up, lots of rubberbanding, some people can't even log on, or they keep disconnecting/server not responding, until the event ends, mostly when they're in MC, but not limited to it, even people with decent internet connections, should probably work on that.
    • iamynaughtiamynaught Posts: 41 Arc User
      Nightmare Event
        ZEN Store
        • (...) 2 account wide costume slot items have been retired from the ZEN store.
        ]​​

I'm not in a position to actually answer this, but I can speculate on why this and other changes are being considered for CO.

I believe this may be a needed move to potentially port Champions to consoles. While CO has been "like this" more or less since launch, it's entirely possible that any attempt to port the current version of CO to consoles would cause some MAJOR headaches. So, by eliminating these instances where certain limits in the game could be bent, if not outright broken, they set the game up to be in a better position for consoles.

Afterall, Sony and/or Microsoft would have a say in how the game would run on their systems, and they'd want to make as much money as they could as well.

I could be entirely off base here, but it does make a sort of sense.
        Losing faith in humanity, one person at a time.
      • aesicaaesica Posts: 2,537 Arc User
        ZEN Store
        • The single costume slot and 2 account wide costume slot items have been retired from the ZEN store.
        • Added 2 and 5 character costume slot items to the ZEN store.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlM3CKXJs5k

It's not possible to fix the account-wide unlock so it conforms to the supposed 40 slot limit? Just like the character slot limit, this seems like an odd decision that only serves to turn away people who have their wallets out.
        spinnytop wrote: »
        Information has to be stored somewhere, and server space isn't infinite.
        1. As you probably know, locally-saved costume data is saved in the metadata of the jpg preview images. These images are about 70-80 kb in size, however most of that is the image itself which would be pointless to store server-side. The portion of the file that contains your actual costume data is only about 7 kb.
        2. Unless the game servers are from 1990/2000 era, digital storage is long past the days where storage space is an issue.
        3. Assuming everyone is an extreme case and has 200 characters on their account, and each character uses all 200 costume slots, you're looking at 7 * 200 * 200 = 280,000 kb, or 273.43 mb. While that might seem like a lot, let's pretend cryptic has our data on a 1 tb drive, which is actually pretty small by today's standards. That's 1,048,576 mb, and your 273.43 mb of costume data only takes up about 0.00026076316% of the drive's total storage capacity.
        (Hopefully) Useful CO Resources: HeroCreator (character planner), Cosmic Timers/Alert Checklist, Blood Moon Map, Anniversary Cat Map, and more (eventually, anyway).
      • doomedluke1doomedluke1 Posts: 118 Arc User
        While I could see some point in the complaints about the premium pack and some features being taken away from Golds, complaining about the limits in costumes slots kinda sound to me like... complaining for the sake of complaining. Do anyone really uses all those different costumes for a single character? It makes more sense - at least to me - creating a new hero than making totally different costumes for a single one.
      • alriialrii Posts: 63 Arc User
        DISCLAIMER: i really do love you guys @ cryptic and i only play your mmos.... NOT that THAT will be comforting, anyway

my inner snark is pretty annoyed and i'm gonna get flak for this buuuut no matter how guilty I'll feel later... and seeing the trend... is the next big announcement / change / patch note gonna read:

"There is a limit of 4 powers per character, this has been the limit since the game launched. The initial launch bypassed this limit. Individual characters who have more than 4 won't lose access to any of their powers, but they will not be able to retrain without a full retcon token. Retcon tokens will now be character bound."

i'd rather you guys remove the caps (and the free chara slot at 40) and hike up the price for stuff like chara slots and account wide costume unlocks. crank it all up, but not like 5k per obv >.> whatever that might help recoup the alleged loss or cost

maybe even allowing free access to FF but cranking up the price of a chara slot even further might work

dunno, i mean i get i'm not gonna change your mind guys, but i'm grasping for options... anything that doesn't remove options (as far as how QoL things work) from players... i have more than a handful of friends who exclusiely keep making new charas to RP with and have dozens of costumes on each... i can't do that.. i don't want to do that... but it really feels like you guys are targetting those players (before ppl start yelling at me, i know they aren't... is why i said it FEELS like)...

yeah, like me they don't really care about the endgame stuff... but they do pay, be it LTS or Sub or just buying Zen w/ real cash... and they spend way more time than i do on champs ... i poke in maybe once a week and mostly stick to the winter event oooorr if am in a good enough mood, the nightmare one... (coz i like easy peasy stuff and right now the focus is more on challenging / one-shot stuff, but anyway)

they are the ones that are gonna feel slapped by all these changes you're all working on... whatever the reason, server costs or preparing for a console launch, or just coz the higher ups said so... is there absolutely no room between all (gone) or nothing (left)?

• hasukurobihasukurobi Posts: 405 Arc User
        Well... There goes me buying any more costume slots.
        While I could see some point in the complaints about the premium pack and some features being taken away from Golds, complaining about the limits in costumes slots kinda sound to me like... complaining for the sake of complaining. Do anyone really uses all those different costumes for a single character? It makes more sense - at least to me - creating a new hero than making totally different costumes for a single one.

I myself have ~57 costume slots between all my characters. I know people with 60-80, and few with max cap. We all use them actively and if we need more (unless reached the cap already) we used to buy the account-wide 2 slot unlocks. None of my friends nor me are now interested in purchasing any more slots.

So no, this isn't 'complaining for the sake of complaining'. This is complaining because one of the features that had us want to play the game is being taken away, pushing us away from playing and giving PWE money to keep the game we love alive.
      • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Posts: 4,915 Arc User
        aesica wrote: »
        3. Assuming everyone is an extreme case and has 200 characters on their account, and each character uses all 200 costume slots, you're looking at 7 * 200 * 200 = 280,000 kb, or 273.43 mb. While that might seem like a lot, let's pretend cryptic has our data on a 1 tb drive, which is actually pretty small by today's standards. That's 1,048,576 mb, and your 273.43 mb of costume data only takes up about 0.00026076316% of the drive's total storage capacity.
        And now multiply by 30,000 because that 273.43 Mb is one player... also add in every other aspect of the character data, bank space, perks, the internal list of which missions your character has completed.
        ChampsWiki
        -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
        My characters
      • gillfignofignogillfignofigno Posts: 64 Arc User
        Do anyone really uses all those different costumes for a single character? It makes more sense - at least to me - creating a new hero than making totally different costumes for a single one.

Which we also won't be able to do when the change is implemented...

• gillfignofignogillfignofigno Posts: 64 Arc User
        And now multiply by 30,000 because that 273.43 Mb is one player... also add in every other aspect of the character data, bank space, perks, the internal list of which missions your character has completed.

30,000 users don't have 200 characters with 200 costumes each, though. That's a worst case scenario. Even If they did that would only equal roughly 8gb of stored data anyway, which isn't a lot of data for a server.

I have 403 characters (which is the most I'm aware of any user having) and on average I'd say I have three costumes per character, with a few here and there having more or less than that. So that's ~1200 costumes, which at 7kb each is a whopping total of 8mb.

1.2. 3.

So then explain why the game needs a limit on costume slots.
        Instead of adding more code to the existing problem, by adding more items to this event, you guys should have been trying to figure out what is causing all the lag and rubber banding and time outs ever since you initiated this event. Hopefully by adding more code to this event, you guys didn't make it even worse.

Alas, it's worse. I am on a new ASUS gaming rig, and while the game no longer crashes to desktop, I am now simply locking up randomly, forcing me to kill the process in the task manager, or wait over 5 minutes for the Cryptic Error Handler to finally notice that the game locked up, and do it's worthless magic.
      • themightyzeniththemightyzenith Posts: 4,599 Arc User

Have the devs never explained this?

zrdRBy8.png
        Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods

They have, but Aesica seems to have some sort of yet unrevealed information about the inner workings of the game and the hardware it runs on, and I'm quite interested to hear what it is and how it counters the information the devs have given.
      • ilyensilyens Posts: 38 Arc User

Because "There is a limit of 40 costume slots per character, this has been the limit since the game launched."

This is the best explanation and yet, the only one.

The thing which is happening now is the following shortly:
        - CO was running for years... With so much bugs
        - Said bugs were horrible and unacceptable (More characters than 59... More costume slots than 40...)
        - Devs decided to fix the game, get rid of the bugs
        - Players got used to the buggy game
        - Players don't like the corrections of the game very much
        - Players are wondering "What is buggy still that needs to be fixed ? Bank slots ? Auction house slots ? Is the lvl 40 a bug too ?"

Can't wait the next fix.
      • daderganonumbersdaderganonumbers Posts: 64 Arc User
        edited June 2018
        UPDATE: Greetings, Champions. After listening to your feedback these past few days, we're taking a harder look at this feature and how to better implement it. We'll have more news in the future, but for now this will not be launching on June 7th.

Aw, man. I may be in the minority, but I had been looking forward to that all last week. I actually logged in before work last night with the express purpose of buying it.

Was the feedback really about the Premium Pack itself or was it a lot of angst over losing monthly sub benefits? As far as I could see, there was nothing wrong with the pack except its close association with the end of something other players have grown to love. Folks, you may love your dad, but that fact alone doesn't necessarily make your stepfather a bad person.
        edited June 2018
        Was the feedback really about the Premium Pack itself or was it a lot of angst over losing monthly sub benefits? As far as I could see, there was nothing wrong with the pack except its close association with the end of something other players have grown to love. Folks, you may love your dad, but that fact alone doesn't necessarily make your stepfather a bad person.
        No, the Backlash had nothing to do with the Premium Pack, everyone was ok with it (except a really small Self Entitlement minority that got ignored)

Backlash was because the subscription change and the removal of monthly sub would lock out ALL GOLD Characters, forcing you to buy Lifetime to reactivate them (or convert them into Archetypes)​​
        Post edited by avianos on
        POWERFRAME REVAMPS, NEW POWERS and BUG FIXES > Recycled Content and Events and even costumes at this point Introvert guy who use CO to make his characters playable and get experimental with Viable FF Theme builds! Running out of Unique FF builds due to the lack of updates and synergiesPlaying since 1 February 2011 98+ Characters (7 ATs, 91 FFs) ALTitis for Life!
        edited June 2018
        Aw, man. I may be in the minority...

You're not. I can't remember negative feedback about the premium pack itself.

.... except for that one guy saying it should cost ten times as much :o

zrdRBy8.png
        Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods
        edited June 2018
        The size of the rest of the data is irrelevant because the costume data, what we're actually talking about here, should in theory be quite tiny. Or specifically, 7% of 1TB. While you might be thinking "whoa that's a lot though for just costumes!" remember, this was intended to be an extreme example. Not every account has 200 characters with 200 costumes on each character. That's just silly. The actual size of the total costume data should in theory be a mere fraction of that amount.

Capping the number of slots for costume data isn't going to affect the size of everything else. It's only going to affect the size of that small data sliver I already outlined. Everyone's perks, quests, banks, bags, etc are still going to be the same size.
        1.2. 3.

While it's true that placing caps on various things in a game is important, 40 is just an arbitrary number. The fact that people have gone over that amount without any (apparent) ill effects show that there's no major reason for the cap to be 40 other the fact that somebody a long time ago was like, "hey what should I set as the costume cap?" and someone sitting nearby responded with, "uh I dunno. Does 40 sound good?"

Point being, there's a few folks how are over that cap and may even want to buy more costume slots still. Is the need for this arbitrary cap of 40 really more important than the money of people who want to buy even more?

In another game I play, there's an inventory system where you can spend the game's paid currency to unlock extra inventory space, 1 row at a time. Originally, the cap was set at 2 pages of inventory. People wanted more pages though, so at some point (despite all the bugs and other things neglected in this game) the devs were like, "ok, here's a crapload more pages for you to unlock because we'll gladly take your money!" And that is how you handle arbitrary caps when money is involved.

So unless there's some major, behind-the-scenes reason for capping costumes at 40 and character slots at 59 (or whatever it was) all I see is Cryptic saying, "lol we don't want your money that badly." And this baffles me.
        They have, but Aesica seems to have some sort of yet unrevealed information about the inner workings of the game and the hardware it runs on, and I'm quite interested to hear what it is and how it counters the information the devs have given.
        Yeah, it's called a calculator. If 7KB of data per costume is putting too much of a drain on their storage, maybe they need to head on over to newegg and buy something made after 2010. Cryptic isn't exactly a starving artist game studio.
        (Hopefully) Useful CO Resources: HeroCreator (character planner), Cosmic Timers/Alert Checklist, Blood Moon Map, Anniversary Cat Map, and more (eventually, anyway).
        And now multiply by 30,000 (...)

lol, I hardly think there's 30k people playing the game.
        melphyx2 wrote: »
        Nightmare Event
        The 2 account wide slots bypassed this limit.

What its means?
        Thus we can't create more characters?

This is about costume slots.....

https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/championsonline/#/discussion/1211247/new-z-store-costume-slot-options
        zrdRBy8.png
        I was excited about the premium pack, and very disappointed that it was nixed.
        edited June 2018
        Yeah, me too... I already bought 20€ worth of Zen to buy it... now I'm waiting
        Please give us the Prenium Pack as soon as the Monthly subscribers issues get resolved
        I had been waiting 5 years for this feature... I guess i can wait more :/​​
        n8mcd wrote: »
        I was excited about the premium pack, and very disappointed that it was nixed.

I'm sure it will be back.

zrdRBy8.png
        While it's true that placing caps on various things in a game is important, 40 is just an arbitrary number.

So then what's the real number? 45? 50? 30?
        While it's true that placing caps on various things in a game is important, 40 is just an arbitrary number.

Spinny, please stop being a dork. If you've got a point get to it.

In game as @forgemccain
      • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Posts: 4,915 Arc User
        Spinny, please stop being a dork. If you've got a point get to it.
        any hard limit feels "arbitrary" if you don't know why that number was chosen.

But also, there will be limits because that's how this sort of thing works.
        ChampsWiki
        -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
        My characters
      • daderganonumbersdaderganonumbers Posts: 64 Arc User
        edited June 2018
        .... except for that one guy saying it should cost ten times as much :o

Ha! Yeah, looking back, that may have been what I was reacting to. If I could afford to throw a c-note at a video game all at once like that, I'd probably have gone that little extra stretch for the LTS when it was on sale, rendering his proposed change to the Premium Pack moot.

Believe me, I want to contribute to keeping this game afloat. And I do. But real-world obligations mean those contributions are relatively small and infrequent :(

So that makes me wonder what "feedback" the devs would take under such consideration to push this thing back and what changes they're going to make.
        Post edited by daderganonumbers on
      • hasukurobihasukurobi Posts: 405 Arc User
        So no, this isn't 'complaining for the sake of complaining'. This is complaining because one of the features that had us want to play the game is being taken away, pushing us away from playing and giving PWE money to keep the game we love alive.

I have to admit I would need less slots if I could change my Pose without changing my Costume.

Depends: Based on actual Hardware/Software limitations or Business Model?
      • chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
        edited June 2018
        Therre's also a load limit on saved costumes. I know because wiht three altaholic accounts. I've blown that limit.
        I had to create a second costume file and move ones I didn't use much to that one, just so that I could get the third acct costumes to load on the list

Meanwhile on the arc games list. CO is 5th on weekly top games. STO, NW PWI, Forsaken world CO.
        Interesting.
        Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
        4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
        Forsaken World isn't dead yet? Considering it's a chinese P2W stripmine game, how is that even possible?
        Forsaken World isn't dead yet? Considering it's a chinese P2W stripmine game, how is that even possible?
        It's because of the P in p2w

In game as @forgemccain
      • Wow the premium pack is canceled?
        Wow the premium pack is canceled?
        DELAYED not cancelled​​
        edited June 2018
        hasukurobi wrote: »
        Depends: Based on actual Hardware/Software limitations or Business Model?

Well the business model wants that number as high as possible, infinite preferably. That means that any sort of limit exclusively comes from hardware/software limitations. The fact that it is determined in that way means it's not arbitrary, it only seems arbitrary to us because we don't have the relevant data that was used to decide on that amount.
        Is the toymaster going to be fixed for the event?
        It's because of the P in p2w
        I was bored earlier today, so I patched up and had a look around. I figured I'd level one of the "new" (from my perspective) classes to 30 and, for the couple of hours it took, I didn't see a single person anywhere. Logged on one of my "high" level characters (back when 80 was the cap) and didn't see anyone else in the afk/grind area, either. During that time, exactly one person said something (in chinese I think) via world shout. Note that I played on the most active server (Storm) at the time so...yeah. RIP~

I guess my point is that if FW is considered active still, I'd hate to see what PWE considers "dead." If I hadn't seen for myself that FW was sitting one rank higher than CO on the Arc main page, I wouldn't believe it. I still kinda don't. :3

Just in terms of general world presentation, CO appears to be far more active than FW by an absolutely massive degree.

On a related note, when you look at the Arc main page rankings, it kinda looks like this:

cD9x6WR.png
      • nextnametakennextnametaken Posts: 2,212 Arc User
        edited June 2018
        n8mcd wrote: »
        wait over 5 minutes for the Cryptic Error Handler to finally notice that the game locked up, and do it's worthless magic.

Cryptic Error Handler does something like compression/upload of your 'demo file-like' data, that is going to include complete character data for every player you encounter in the game, the longer you've been playing the longer the crash handler takes to do what it does and then show up and ask for confirmation.

Maybe take a break and log out once in a while, then you might isolate your particular bug.
        If 7KB of data per costume is putting too much of a drain on their storage, maybe they need to head on over to newegg and buy something made after 2010. Cryptic isn't exactly a starving artist game studio.

Remember what I said about complete character data for everyone you encounter?

7KB multiplied by say x players, multiplied by x number of costumes, plus some other jazz, passed over the network every frame.