test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Thoughts on new alert after Day One?

13»

Comments

• jonesing4jonesing4 Posts: 800 Arc User
    beezeeze wrote: »
    Same old song and dance, business as usual.
    The YES! NO! YES! NO! from both extremes get boring after a while.

The REAL Champs endgame is a custom alert where guy and spinny **** at each other until you leave the map.

It can be PUG'd or PQ'd.
  • jonesing4jonesing4 Posts: 800 Arc User
    kamokami wrote: »
    Want to revisit this thread because I am enjoying the alert more now that I've tried a few of the possible paths to stopping the laser. It's pretty fun

I haven't had as much time to play it yet as I'd like, but I'm definitely wanting to try the alternate methods, too. I imagine it will feel kinda like getting a science victory in Civ games (I'm really not happy if I don't destroy all enemies), but it's an interesting idea.
  • spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    jonesing4 wrote: »
    I haven't had as much time to play it yet as I'd like, but I'm definitely wanting to try the alternate methods, too. I imagine it will feel kinda like getting a science victory in Civ games (I'm really not happy if I don't destroy all enemies), but it's an interesting idea.

Consoles method certainly feels like a science victory.
  • guyhumualguyhumual Posts: 2,391 Arc User
    spinnytop wrote: »
    "solo queuing" means queuing an alert by yourself. Not sure why you're starting an argument over that.

Then how are you queuing for things like Monster Island Crisis (supposedly that's still supposed to launch if there's only one person)? You're correct that most of this content requires a team, but not all of it, and if you're queuing on your own you're more than likely queuing for a PUG not solo queuing. Solo queuing is queuing for the few things where you might not have a team for.
    edited May 2018
    guyhumual wrote: »
    Then how are you queuing for things like Monster Island Crisis

wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwhat the heck does monster island crisis have to do with anything? If you're queuing for it alone then you're solo queuing.
    and if you're queuing on your own you're more than likely queuing for a PUG not solo queuing.

But you are solo queuing o3o and yes, solo queuing is very likely to have you end up in a pug by virtue of the fact that you didn't queue with a premade - thought of course you might end up in there with a partial premade. Where is this even going now? We already have a word for doing things by yourself, and that's "soloing". Yes, if the queue allows it solo queuing can lead to soloing, but even if it doesn't you're still solo queuing because you are queuing while solo.

This has gotten quite silly u3u you don't like the alert but you don't need to go trying to change the meanings of phrases over it.
    This has gotten quite silly u3u you don't like the alert but you don't need to go trying to change the meanings of phrases over it.

You're the one who insisted on changing the meaning of things like solo queue and private queue. My complaints about this alert aren't even based on that. As I've said repeatedly I don't like the design aspects. This entire dialectic side debate is on you.

My original statement was this alert is for private queues not PUG queues, and if you're grouping up before you're joining that is private queuing. Maybe you could argue that's only partial private queuing if you're only teaming up with one to three other people, but it's still private queuing.
  • pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    My original statement was this alert is for private queues not PUG queues, and if you're grouping up before you're joining that is private queuing. Maybe you could argue that's only partial private queuing if you're only teaming up with one to three other people, but it's still private queuing.
    No it isn't. The fundamental point of private queuing is that it's private: no-one get in uninvited. For alerts, that means queuing as a team of 5. Smaller teams are premades, not private.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Posts: 4,915 Arc User
    No it isn't. The fundamental point of private queuing is that it's private: no-one get in uninvited. For alerts, that means queuing as a team of 5. Smaller teams are premades, not private.
    Also... if you're teaming with random dudes you met in zone chat....
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters

Never heard that term in chat before but fine I'll add that to the nomenclature. It's something that would distinguish what Spinny is talking about.
  • darqaura2darqaura2 Posts: 932 Arc User
    edited May 2018

Never heard that term in chat before but fine I'll add that to the nomenclature. It's something that would distinguish what Spinny is talking about.

I think the overall point here is that this mission isn't something I would recommend anyone do the first time with a bunch of randoms. Which I think was your point before the thread got pedantic.

And if no one got it before, I would not recommend anyone do this with a bunch of randoms. Get a team, get friends.

I will say though it's nice to see some new content that's actually content and not just costumes. Bravo devs!!!!
  • theanothernametheanothername Posts: 35 Arc User
    edited May 2018
    Something new & Nemesis related. Well, it got me curious enough to log back into CO. And for one oddball reason or another mine was even rolled. And in true Nemesis behavior he kind of kicked our group. All but one; had some prolly really great decked Super with us who rambo'ed it out with him but I guess he/she got a disco at some point and the others talked about some timer issue which might have appeared anyway and it kind of dissolved after that... oh well.

Its too tech anyway; my mains main Nemesis is kind of a Skeletor meets Spectre blend and all this hightech stuff does not quite fit him.
    darqaura2 wrote: »
    I will say though it's nice to see some new content that's actually content and not just costumes. Bravo devs!!!!

I should point out that what I do like about the new alert is the costumes and emotes that come with it. That's cool stuff. I also like that it's a nemesis alert, it's nice to see new nemesis content.
  • My problem with the alert is my audio drops as soon as it starts.
  • kamokamikamokami Posts: 1,633 Arc User
    Now that we're a few days in, pugs have almost reached the level of smoothness of other alerts. Only 2 failed pug runs out of 70+.
  • draogndraogn Posts: 1,269 Arc User
    kamokami wrote: »
    Now that we're a few days in, pugs have almost reached the level of smoothness of other alerts. Only 2 failed pug runs out of 70+.

I haven't noticed a difference, most pugs I've been apart of still fall apart at the first ramp as the groups I've been in get overwhelmed.

• roughbearmattachroughbearmattach Posts: 4,784 Arc User
    If you are running a tank or CC, your PUG will generally prevail, because you've insured a critical role is covered. If you are running a healer, the PUG will likely prevail as well.

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.
  • mithrosnomoremithrosnomore Posts: 521 Arc User
    They need to add an information source in-game that explains what you need to do and the different victory conditions.

As it is I imagine that more than one team has failed because people didn't know what they were supposed to do if they couldn't just punch-out the nemesis.
    They need to add an information source in-game that explains what you need to do and the different victory conditions.

As it is I imagine that more than one team has failed because people didn't know what they were supposed to do if they couldn't just punch-out the nemesis.

cutscenes are coming \o/

Also that panel in the first room. You know, the one I'm sure almost nobody has looked at. That thing should really be moved to the center of the room.
    If you are running a tank or CC, your PUG will generally prevail, because you've insured a critical role is covered. If you are running a healer, the PUG will likely prevail as well.

Or you could be Vixy and just queue as a dps that spams sword cyclone and ensures victory that way \o/

But yes for the rest of the population a tank, CC, or healer is a great way to ensure success ( assuming the rest of the team has at least basic capability to work with you, it's hard for any of those roles to solo the Nemesis before time runs out, lol ).
  • jcsm130988#9804 jcsm130988 Posts: 1 Arc User
    I haven't read all the opinions (there are too many), but I find the new alert impossibly hard. Not only I couldn't make it after several attempts with several groups, but I literaly had no idea of what I was supposed to be doing. I read the cinematics are missing and that may clarify what we were supposed to do, but in my humble opinion it's too difficult.
  • pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    edited May 2018

cutscenes are coming \o/

Also that panel in the first room. You know, the one I'm sure almost nobody has looked at. That thing should really be moved to the center of the room.
    Though in general a team that's able to accomplish either of the other two victory conditions will be able to accomplish beating up the nemesis, so it's not a terribly significant factor in losing. Exception being a team that's very low on dps (mostly support, for example); that should still be able to do a console victory.
  • magpieuk2014magpieuk2014 Posts: 1,268 Arc User
    There is an instruction terminal in the first room, which will help. There is also a vending machine for heal items (buy them!). But really what you're trying to do is...

1st Corridor - survive

2nd room - Deactivate the turrets. You do this by interacting with the shield consoles on the inner ring. Until you successfully complete the interaction, the turrets are immune to damage. Enemies spawn ceaselessly, they attack whoever enters the room first and then they go for whoever tries to get to the consoles. Sometimes it is more manageable to stun or knock them, not to blow them away, as they just respawn.

The turret AoE attacks are shown in red. These are Neverwinter type markers - so don't stand still and block in the CO style, just move outside of their zone and you'll take no damage. When you deactivate all the turrets, you'll see a warning that the floor is about to become electrified. This will kill you! Run to one of the safe platforms (where you came in is always good ) and interact with the terminal to activate the Teleport pads up to the next level.

3rd level - this is a narrow gantry with lots of enemies on it. It also has some Force Field generators on it - swirling orbs which are quite difficult to see. Your team needs to destroy all of them. Enemies will attack whoever attacks the Force Fields, but if you stand underneath them and use AoE powers, they're quite easy to destroy... unless you get knocked off the platform and onto the electric floor beneath. There is a blue wireframe tell which shows up, and this is to warn you of an incoming repel/knock. Block and hold it until the tell goes (and a little while after for luck). Spinnytop's pro-tip: If you die (which means you have to Telepoirt back up to level 3), make sure you're blocking before you start the Teleporter to go back up to the gantry. Otherwise you can arrive just in time to be knocked back down again and killed. Annoying.

Once you've knocked out the Forcefields your Nemesis shows up, does a little monologue, and will destroy the Earth if you don't defeat them in a certain amount of time. NB - this section locks you out if you die, so be careful. Enemies continue to spawn throughout the fight, and self-heals, knocks, crowd control, etc, are all essential skills. Once you defeat your Nemesis you'll get the shutdown code. Go to a console, interact with it to enter the code, profit. You can congratulate yourself on a job well done and go and hunt the reward circle, which isn't as obvious as you might hope.

There are other ways of finishing Zone 3, but I haven't got that far yet. Enjoy.
  • hasukurobihasukurobi Posts: 405 Arc User
    "solo queuing" means queuing an alert by yourself. Not sure why you're starting an argument over that.

There have been many times when I WISHED I could Solo Que or at least Partial-Que things... But alas it is not to be.
    darqaura2 wrote: »
    I think the overall point here is that this mission isn't something I would recommend anyone do the first time with a bunch of randoms. Which I think was your point before the thread got pedantic.

And if no one got it before, I would not recommend anyone do this with a bunch of randoms. Get a team, get friends.

Weeelll... I mean... It caaan be more frustrating with the wrong mix of folks but as long as you are not too put off by some failures then it is not sooo bad going PUG wild with it. I've pugged it quite a few times and it has been around 80~85% successful. I would say that is pretty good all things considered.
    My problem with the alert is my audio drops as soon as it starts.

Is that so? I do not get that but I wonder about this one because when I am in Jury Rig's ... Warehouse? Whatever you want to call his junk heap of a workshop: Where you go down that ramp inside the hallway the sound always becomes very muted for me. Only there do I ever have that happen and it is gone the moment I am outside that specific spot.

To add to magpieuk2014's very nice post: Once all the force fields are destroyed and your Nemesis is ready to fight you directly in the final battle part you will experience one of the worst mechanics in the game: Zero G. This means that you float about and act like the entire world is made of frictionless surfaces. You will just slide around endlessly. They give you a belt which is an item that just immobilizes you but basically this applies in a general sense as well. If you have any powers that prevent you from moving they will root you during this part as well which can be EXTREMELY handy.

This is not real Zero G though so all of the Laws of Motion are not in effect. For instance, shooting or hitting things does not make you move in the opposite direction. It is a lot more like the Slide-Flight powers but always on. Also your travel powers work during this and flight powers can help you control your movement a little bit easier here too.

Then as magpieuk2014 said you need to collect your winnings. You get at least something even if you failed to stop your Nem in time. The ring is down near the platform you entered the room from at the beginning. Once you manage to get down there the Zero-G is still on so you have to screw around trying to collect all your junk before being booted out of the mission while still sliding around everywhere which is less than fun.
  • pr0fp0ttspr0fp0tts Posts: 46 Arc User
    My impressions after the first week, and trying it out on various alts...

Overall I like the new alert - it's Nemesis-based, which was always my favourite alert type, just 'cos I like seeing what Nems other people come up with. For this reason I'd like to see the alert with a cutscene so that we can actually get a look at the Nem involved (when you fight them they're generally swamped in sfx from numerous attacks and hard to see). I hope the cutscene has differing dialogue for the different three Nem 'styles', just to mix things up a bit... although I'm also hoping that any cutscenes aren't too long (one can go and make a cup of tea whilst waiting for Taty-bo-jangles to finish pontificating during FM...).

Making the alert level 40 is generally nice for my level 40 toons... not so hot for the rest. The alert is very damage-heavy, and running it with level 25 (or lower... no-one shops for level 25 gear - at that point you're running with whatever tat you've picked up along the way) gear as your defense means lots and lots of faceplanting... unless you have actual defensive powers that will scale to 40. My level 26/27 FF tank build with the invulnerability passive and that Force form which also reduces incoming damage, both at max rank, did really well in the alert. My level 40 Inferno using a full set of scaling gear was dying in seconds - even when turtled behind a fully ranked block enhancer. My level 40 Marksman, with some reasonable end-game gear did quite well (Relentless Recurve and knockback helped a lot too, especially once up on the platform). My level 25 fire FF character was dying the quickest of all.

The biggest problem is the aggro management, or lack of the same. Testing a theory I waited until a corner of the main room had cleared, and moved my toon there without attacking anything. Sure enough I watched as a mob spawned in the opposite corner of the room and immediately charged my toon, firing as they came. That's completely different to the rest of the game's aggro system. For some toons (especially the squishy / glass cannon ATs who lack defensive powers beyond a block enhancer) aggro management is their defense. That's why you let the tank attack first in an alert, and why you fly at max range to blast the ground-based bad guys. This alert negate any such tactics, both removing travel powers and auto-aggroing everyone. This makes the alert very rough on the squishies, although it's as much a learning curve as anything - you need a good Tank &/or CC toon in your team if you're to survive at all. People have suggested that a team of level 25 DPSers can do the alert with teamwork, but it's hard to see how, considering how quickly the massed level 40 mob damage burns through a squishy's health bar even behind a fully-ranked block enhancer.

Insta-death for getting knocked off the platform is nasty, but at least there's no lockout at that stage. Actually, it's not quite insta-death, and my FF tank at level 27 managed to cross the floor and get back to the teleport platform before dying... once... but it's insta-death for a vast majority.

The lockout at the end is horrible, and can quickly make the alert unwinnable if you lose too many team members to it. Lockout and a timer together seems like overkill, IMHO, but YMMV as always.

I agree with others asking that the gravity is turned back on at the end of the alert - failing to get a reward 'cos of failing the stupid 'hit the belt at the right moment' mini-game that results from the low-grav effects is horrible.

Having the alert ranked is also horrible - especially a it seems that tanking / CC doesn't earn you anything, so you can end up carrying the team to victory, only to score at the bottom of the table.

The rewards aren't too impressive, for me, at this point - if the alert is to be in the custom alert spot in the rotation, can we please at least get the usual daily rewards for completing it? Also, since that's where it is in the rotation, it's actually eliminating content for toons of level 20-24, who can usually enter custom alerts - those two things make we question whether it's been put in the best place.

Teamwork-wise I don't see it having much more than any other alert - it's more 'learning curve' than 'teamwork'. In fact, as it's more 'goals oriented' than most, you can sometimes see a lot less teamwork than normal, as people charge off to click the clickies and fail to cover their teammates' backs. Like all the content of the game, it works better with teamwork than without, but it seems to mostly need teamwork only when there's not some high-level end-of-game-geared toon carrying the PUG anyway... and getting carried by high level toons is, unfortunately, the best chance some toons will have to ever complete this alert.

So, overall I like it... but I like it best when I'm playing a toon that won't insta-faceplant in seconds. It seems very polarizing between different character types - in that aspect it's a lot like the 'bonus levels' of FM - in FM not having a massive DPS output makes you the 'load' on the team, in Save the Earth not having high defense abilities does the same.

TL, DR: it's good, but polarizing.
  • hasukurobihasukurobi Posts: 405 Arc User
    pr0fp0tts: Your take is interesting to read. I have seen people faceplanting the way you suggest and it is really tricky to keep them in the game. It is a bit rough that as a Tank it can be difficult at times to catch the spawn-ins before they run roughshod over the squishies.

I do find that bringing a healer or heavy support into the mission can often carry the thing pretty well as long as they can dish out enough DPS as a group to kill the Nem.

The Ranking part is pretty much just for show. It does not really affect anything to my knowledge. I have gotten top and bottom and it did not change what dropped.

As for the rewards they seemed to have made the reward circle sticky now (thank you Devs!) so you can get your stuff more reliably. Though considering how rare a drop the various emotes and costume parts are I have pretty much lost all interest in going through the hassle to get a team to finish this any other way than the Nemesis smashing route. The chances I will get the Nemesis completion related drops are basically 0.001% with my luck at this sort of thing so my chances of getting anything good from one go on the other methods is basically 0.
    My experience is that you get a rare drop about every 100 runs.....give or take 50 in either direction
  • magpieuk2014magpieuk2014 Posts: 1,268 Arc User
    A lot of the issues people are having with the alert come from the changeable nature of the Nem minions and the PUG. Lower level toons will struggle against enemies with holds and the like... A Nemesis with PFF is also a real issue if you lack DPS.

A team of ill matched play styles is the worst, though, and the alert gives you little breathing space to work out a plan.
    Well yesterday's patch pretty much nerfed it into the ground. That's okay, I had a week of running it like crazy and I'm burnt out on it now anyway, so now that it's easy the rest of you can have your fun with it ^_^
  • pr0fp0ttspr0fp0tts Posts: 46 Arc User
    I've managed to get the alert to pop a few times since the last patch. My mid-twenties in level fire FF still has all the same issues as before - if the patch was a 'nerf' it wasn't such that it significantly changed the alert for squishies... although toons better suited to the alert's design did seem to be having an easier time. I tried it with my level 40 stealth toon and it was a breeze... but I did land in a good PUG for that one. My level 40 Marksman (who has some basic end-of-game gear... nothing 'elite' though) seemed to handle it easier than before the patch.

Getting the alert to pop has been troublesome today though... I guess everyone's out being Onslaught Villains and the novelty of the new shiney has already tarnished somewhat...

I'm glad to see Save the Earth is no longer taking up the usual custom alert space - so level 20-24 toons aren't losing out any more.

If I was just basing my opinion on my squishy toons I'd suggest that the entry level for the alert should be higher (maybe 35+ like the Rampages)... but reasonably designed Tank toons can handle it at 25+, so I guess it's more like the FM 'bonus' levels, where the build you have strongly influences your chances of success, but isn't completely vital.
    Well, there's no need to pay attention at the first floor anymore. Everyone just runs off, does their thing, and bulldozes through the mobs like every other alert.
  • roughbearmattachroughbearmattach Posts: 4,784 Arc User
    The newer version of the alert will be friendlier to level 25-39 heroes using leveling gear.
    It will be pretty durn easy for level 40 heroes with good gear.

That seems about right for an alert.

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.