test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Launcher No Longer Connects to Account Server?

2»

Comments

• Options
    dam0n0maddam0n0mad Posts: 3 Arc User
    Same item here, trying to add the executables as exceptions...
  • Options
    sistersiliconsistersilicon Posts: 1,687 Arc User
    draogn wrote: »
    Unless there's something in the engine, I'm also not sure why the graphics drivers would be interfering with the launchers ability to work. I could understand if there were errors in game with graphics. Unless this is brought on by the memory leaks that infect CO.

Also if the update did cause drivers to become unstable that'd affect more then just CO.

It is GameEngine.exe that's hanging, just before it ever displays anything. The launcher process is probably hanging because it's stuck waiting for a response from the hung GameEngine process that's never arriving. If I kill GameEngine.exe from Task Manager, the launcher recognizes it and responds again.

And never underestimate the technical debt that accrues when one branch of a common source repository drifts out of sync over six years from branches that get more frequent development.
    Choose your enemies carefully, because they will define you / Make them interesting, because in some ways they will mind you
    They're not there in the beginning, but when your story ends / Gonna last with you longer than your friends
  • Options
    draogndraogn Posts: 1,269 Arc User
    I have tried to kill the game engine process, all that accomplished was returning a message saying Unable to connect.

That still doesn't make this a graphic driver issue. Unstable drivers would affect more then one program.
  • Options
    dpglerchdpglerch Posts: 43 Arc User
    edited May 2018
    I haven't updated my windows yet, but I'm curious if everyone with the problem sees a high cpu percentage for antimalware service executable, because that pattern looks like CO is fighting with Windows Defender.

No, actually my pc is running smoother than normal, I have also tried that suggestion on reinstalling the video drivers (It didn't make sense but gave it a shot) did no good. The launcher acts like its having communication issues with the cryptic servers, it's kind of like something's getting lost in translation.

• Options
    qqafgqegqe4agqqafgqegqe4ag Posts: 15 Arc User
    "Don't update Windows" is the most retarded solution I've ever heard.

Cryptic has got to get on this.
  • Options
    wraithshadow13wraithshadow13 Posts: 531 Arc User
    I'm having this issue as well, thought i want to say mine was happening BEFORE the last big update to windows. I know it's not the anti-virus, it's just that the launcher is refusing to work right. A lot of companies are so ready and willing to just pass the blame though, even when they're knowingly the people at fault. Microsoft is a massive multimillion dollar a month company that does tech for a living. The Champions team is probably Five guys in the back room of a five guys, at this point, so i'm not really expecting much from them. Admittedly, they ARE doing more for us than the entirety of Cryptic North, when the game was there. Cryptic has always had issues staying on top of their technical issues, it's just not a great company.

I just hope that with so many people having troubles even getting the launcher to work, that they are able to get this fixed for us sooner rather than later.
  • Options
    spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User

Send your complaints to Microsoft, they caused the problem.
  • Options

https://forum.arcgames.com/championsonline/discussion/comment/12805540/#Comment_12805540
    Choose your enemies carefully, because they will define you / Make them interesting, because in some ways they will mind you
    They're not there in the beginning, but when your story ends / Gonna last with you longer than your friends
  • Options
    cramneajcramneaj Posts: 7 Arc User
    I have update with version 397.64 of NVIDIA driver, absolutly no change.
    Champion launcher not respond.
    I have updated the 1803 patch with monthly update of windows 10 too.

Good luck.
  • Options
    aesicaaesica Posts: 2,537 Arc User
    edited May 2018
    spinnytop wrote: »
    Send your complaints to Microsoft, they caused the problem.
    Yes and no, actually. If you google around, this particular update isn't really causing any major problems for the vast majority of users and applications. STO runs just fine for me, and I imagine NW does too but I don't play it. This is what happens when legacy code isn't updated to at least match semi-modern standards--not that the current team has the resources to do this, but to lump all the blame on Microsoft isn't entirely fair.

That said, Cryptic should probably assume the worst, that Microsoft/Nvidia/etc will never end up fixing whatever this is and dispatch a small team to solve the problem on their end.​​
    (Hopefully) Useful CO Resources: HeroCreator (character planner), Cosmic Timers/Alert Checklist, Blood Moon Map, Anniversary Cat Map, and more (eventually, anyway).
  • Options
    I am an IT professional, and based on the comments, several others here are as well.

I'm not interested in blame, I am interested in restoration of services I paid for.

You have a lot of helpful people ready to help collect data, Cryptic.

Let us help. We want to help.

Or refund our cash. Per PayPal, funds are entitled to refund if services can not be rendered.
  • Options
    tangent90tangent90 Posts: 65 Arc User
    I run CO on two computers: a Windows 7 machine with an nVidia card and a Windows 10 machine with the stock (dumb) Intel graphics. The game works fine on the nVidia/Windows 7 machine, but GameClient.exe hangs on the Windows 10/Intel machine.

According to Windows, I'm running the most current Intel graphics driver. There is no newer driver to update to. This problem is therefore common to both Intel and nVidia graphics, which implies that the problem is not in the driver but some incompatibility GameClient.exe has with the 1803 Windows 10 release.

Is anyone experiencing this problem on a Radeon graphics card?
  • Options
    magpieuk2014magpieuk2014 Posts: 1,268 Arc User
    Yes, I have a Win 10 PC with an AMD R7 card in it, it used to run Champions, now it doesn't. It still runs STO, Neverwinter, World of Warships, Garry's Mod, Civ, Saints Row, World of Warcraft, Torchlight, Mirror's Edge.... basically everything I like from the last ten years apart from my favourite MMO. <sob>
  • Options
    phex#5818 phex Posts: 1 Arc User
    This isnt a Windows problem, this is a Cryptic problem. Ive tried everything suggested and no fix to clear a path to launch server. Cryptic needs to stop pointing blame elsewhere and look inwards and do something and do it fast.
  • Options
    kaiserin#0958 kaiserin Posts: 3,091 Cryptic Developer
    Just an update, we are looking into a fix. Current ETA is to have it out by Friday, but this may change.​​
  • Options
    gtw891gtw891 Posts: 115 Arc User
    Well after going back to a previous build that worked fine as in game loading up and working. I decided to upgrade to the latest drivers last night and now the game crashed on me twice now since then so maybe it is a Cryptic problem.
  • Options
    grunspelgrunspel Posts: 15 Arc User
    kaizerin wrote: »
    Just an update, we are looking into a fix. Current ETA is to have it out by Friday, but this may change.​​

Thank you for the official update. Please continue to keep us posted. I'm very much looking forward to getting back to Millennium City.
  • Options
    maldanaanmaldanaan Posts: 53 Arc User
    Here's to hoping it works. I'll regret all of my characters becoming seven weeks behind on Vigilance, but at least they'll all become synced again for completion. Naturally, this would happen on Cybermind.
  • Options
    phex#5818 wrote: »
    This isnt a Windows problem, this is a Cryptic problem. Ive tried everything suggested and no fix to clear a path to launch server. Cryptic needs to stop pointing blame elsewhere and look inwards and do something and do it fast.

As I've said before, it can be both. If Microsoft's initial release of 1803 could break Cortana, it can certainly break CO. Even if there's nothing technically wrong with Cryptic's code, fixing the issue there could be the fastest path to restoring service.
  • Options
    spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    edited May 2018
    I have the latest Windows 10 update and CO runs for me. Clearly there is something outside of CO causing this.
  • Options
    dpglerchdpglerch Posts: 43 Arc User
    some honesty for them, thats a good sign
  • Options
    dimitrikdimitrik Posts: 26 Arc User
    Here's to really hoping. Thanks for keeping us in the loop.
  • Options
    kaiserin#0958 kaiserin Posts: 3,091 Cryptic Developer
    If you are having this issue, and can access PTS, please try to patch and log into PTS!​​
  • Options
    blazer2001blazer2001 Posts: 109 Arc User
    Happy to report that the PTS patch fixes the game client for me, CO works again!

Yay!

Thanks to the support crew that received the reports and the devs involved in the fix for this problem, you all did a wonderful work.
    I'm the ruler of the fire power.
  • Options
    blazer2001 wrote: »
    Happy to report that the PTS patch fixes the game client for me, CO works again!

Yay!

Thanks to the support crew that received the reports and the devs involved in the fix for this problem, you all did a wonderful work.

I STILL can't get in. Which is a shame, if they dropped a new alert type today. I'm on the Radeon set up as well, everything up to date, so it's not anything wrong here. Even Star Trek online is working fine. Has anyone tried going through that launcher or arc?
  • Options
    grunspelgrunspel Posts: 15 Arc User
    Yay! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! I just tested and successfully logged into PTS. I'm sooooo looking forward to installing the patch on Live and playing my beloved heroes once again. Thank you all for your hard work in solving this.
  • Options
    as a side note, gameclient.exe (32bit) isn't closing. The launcher freezes, i try to interact with it and get the message that it's not responding, and the two buttons (close and wait). Closing it, still leaves steam showing me as playing the game. Looking through task manager, the ,exe is still running. I'm on the win 10 64 bit.
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    going through the STO launcher, it tells me that support for direct 3d9 has ended, going forward, i will be using direct3s11.... and then it freezes again.

As another side thing, who else here has been getting the message about needing to update drivers every time you log in?

We've already determined that it wasn't just an AMD issue, like usual. Maybe, if we've all been getting the same popup about setting things to the lowest graphics, it might be a place for them to start?
  • Options
    cramneajcramneaj Posts: 7 Arc User
    If you are having this issue, and can access PTS, please try to patch and log into PTS!​​

I can access to PTS now. Many ressources on GPU processor (100%) and 2 crash at first connection but i can access to the game.
    Can you explain the modification which make this software became functionnal for those which work in informatic domain like me please, just fot curiosity :pensive:

Thanks for your work and well job

• Options
    blazer2001blazer2001 Posts: 109 Arc User
    @wraithshadow13, the patch is in the test server (PTS) not in live server, so if you have acces to PTS you can test it there, if you can't access PTS you'll have to wait until it goes live, which will be probably tomorrow. Hope this clears things up for you.
    I'm the ruler of the fire power.
  • Options
    magpieuk2014magpieuk2014 Posts: 1,268 Arc User
    @Kaiserin - Success! After downloading the PTS patch I can get into the game and it runs properly without crashes. Thanks very much for your and everyone else's work on this.
  • Options
    maldanaanmaldanaan Posts: 53 Arc User
    I didn't see any notice about an update in the launcher, but as of patching today, I can log into the game. Many thanks!
  • Options
    jenghizjenghiz Posts: 3 Arc User
    Congratulations on the new patch. I am able to log in (though I haven't had time to play as of yet). Thank you everyone for your hard work on getting us connected again! Have a great weekend!
  • Options
    dimitrikdimitrik Posts: 26 Arc User
    I tried to run the regular client, not on PTS, just now. Noticed it patched something. And it connected! Looks like the positive response here from the PTS testing has fast-tracked the roll-out for the patch going live, so it looks like all's well!

Thanks, guys! Glad this got resolved.
  • Options
    aesicaaesica Posts: 2,537 Arc User
    Looks like the patch is live because while I could get on the PTS (but not live) yesterday, I can now log into live today. Yaay and thanks for the fix! :D​​
    (Hopefully) Useful CO Resources: HeroCreator (character planner), Cosmic Timers/Alert Checklist, Blood Moon Map, Anniversary Cat Map, and more (eventually, anyway).
  • Options
    Much appreciate the update. Working fine now. Still think it was stuck in an invalid video setting, but now, everything works and the screen colors are even better.

Thank you very much for your help. :)
  • Options
    same here, finally back in game. Thank you
  • Options
    bafdolekoaken3bafdolekoaken3 Posts: 2 Arc User
    help :(
  • Options
    bafdolekoaken3bafdolekoaken3 Posts: 2 Arc User
    whats pts????