test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Nightmare "Event"

Comments

• Options
    magpieuk2014magpieuk2014 Posts: 1,268 Arc User
    Nobody tell my melee dps role character that, they might feel like a "game expert" owo

Are you feeling feline again, Spinny? It's just that your ability to insert yourself between the viewer and the subject in a way that blocks everything else and says "hey, look at me!" is reminding me of my cat (although you're not as badass as she is, natch).
  • Options
    spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    edited January 2018

Are you feeling feline again, Spinny? It's just that your ability to insert yourself between the viewer and the subject in a way that blocks everything else and says "hey, look at me!" is reminding me of my cat (although you're not as badass as she is, natch).

I think my forum sig can answer that question o3o

But no you're right. My attempts at encouraging people by saying "I can do it and you can do it too!" are misguided. Most of you can't do it. Sure, everything I have is at your disposal in the game, but most of you just can't put it together with your mind and fingers like I can. That's why lately I just point out that I can do it and don't worry about the second part ^_^ provides a break from the usual recycled complaints these threads just toss around for page after page right?
  • Options
    biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Arc User
    > @pantagruel01 said:
    > The problem with the portals is that there's no point to fighting the individual spawns, you have to just focus down the portal (which is in the middle of everything else), and if it didn't spawn at level 34- (in which case there's no AoRP protecting it) it takes a while to do so. I do think the portal mobs should be set to have their inherent level fixed (no higher than 30) instead of being the same as the character who caused them to spawn.

Well you still need the mobs for completing the mission but I guess you could just get them in the colossus fight.

At any rate, I get by just fine on these missions. My REAL problem is that I'm doing them for no reason since I've maxed out on currency and none of the rewards from this event appeal to me at all. But that's neither here nor there.

> @magpieuk2014 said:
    > Nobody tell my melee dps role character that, they might feel like a "game expert" owo
    >
    > Are you feeling feline again, Spinny? It's just that your ability to insert yourself between the viewer and the subject in a way that blocks everything else and says "hey, look at me!" is reminding me of my cat (although you're not as badass as she is, natch).

He's fishing for them "I can't do what you do so you must be some great player" comments. Any time some sort of difficulty discussion pops up, he seeds the conversation with some "it's easy and doesn't take much to beat, I'm an average player and I don't do anything special and it's easy as pie" comment, making sure to mention that his character is a little girl, as if his character's backstory matters at all, and waits for that sweet ego stroke.

Same poop, different day. :P
    biffsig.jpg
  • Options
    aesicaaesica Posts: 2,537 Arc User
    spinnytop wrote: »
    But no you're right. My attempts at encouraging people by saying "I can do it and you can do it too!" are misguided. Most of you can't do it. Sure, everything I have is at your disposal in the game, but most of you just can't put it together with your mind and fingers like I can. That's why lately I just point out that I can do it and don't worry about the second part ^_^ provides a break from the usual recycled complaints these threads just toss around for page after page right?
    I don't mean anything rude by this, but maybe your communication skills just suck. Are you really trying to encourage people? If so, good on you, but honestly, "I can solo this as a dps with no arms and my monitor off! so easy! etc!" comes off more like shameless, obnoxious bragging instead of supposed encouragement.​​
    (Hopefully) Useful CO Resources: HeroCreator (character planner), Cosmic Timers/Alert Checklist, Blood Moon Map, Anniversary Cat Map, and more (eventually, anyway).
  • Options
    I imagine if people want to rethink their character to be able to solo all this stuff, it would be easy enough to ask in the powers and builds forums for advice, and people will happily share what they do, what powers to pick, what gear is needed, etc.

But many people like their character's build and theme and don't want to break that just for survivability or to be able to steamroll the content or solo alerts. Saying stuff like "gee, my little girl character can do all this stuff using the same things you can use, so the problem must be with your mind and fingers" is straight up baiting. I doubt encouragement is the goal, and if it is, someone's sense of tact is seriously broke.

biffsig.jpg
  • Options
    ealford1985ealford1985 Posts: 3,582 Arc User
    Was it ever working?
  • Options
    edited January 2018

But many people like their character's build and theme and don't want to break that just for survivability or to be able to steamroll the content or solo alerts.

I would never do that either, so I get where they're coming from. Good news: They don't have to! \o/

Encouragement used to be the goal. People fought it, including you. You won, I no longer care if anyone else can do it, congrats on your victory :'3
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Posts: 4,915 Arc User
    To be honest.... when I was a new player i got ganked by the anniversary Destroids. I'd "participate" in the OM but I never felt like I was actually making a contribution since I spent more time dead than fighting.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • Options
    > @spinnytop said:
    > I would never do that either, so I get where they're coming from. Good news: They don't have to! \o/
    >
    > Encouragement used to be the goal. People fought it, including you. You won, I no longer care if anyone else can do it, congrats on your victory :'3

Ooh, master of psychology, you sure turned it around on me and now I'm the bad guy! Except I never fought anything and even asked you for advice. But neat story!

FYI your little games are transparent and no one buys it.
    biffsig.jpg
  • Options
    pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User

To be honest.... when I was a new player i got ganked by the anniversary Destroids.

The classic anniversary Destroids were level 60, which (due to the way level vs level scaling works) instantly ganked anyone under about level 35. This was not exactly good design, however.
  • Options
    Wasn't that only the mega destroids? I thought he meant the mob group spawns.
    biffsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2018

FYI your little games are transparent and no one buys it.

Heck you talkin' about? o3o every time I tried to encourage people you were right there to argue that what I was saying was wrong. You may not remember it but I do.
  • Options
    themightyzeniththemightyzenith Posts: 4,599 Arc User

Was it ever working?

Dammit, where's that upvote button?!

zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods
  • Options
    Best we get is a +1 between colons:

:+1:

Or a minus, if you're a negative Nancy. :D

:-1:
    biffsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    I have an old drawing here for ya Biff....it’s a +1 but it’s not the thumb
  • Options
    Ha! I think I lost that drawing. :'(:#
    biffsig.jpg
  • Options
    guyhumualguyhumual Posts: 2,393 Arc User

guyhumual said:

This event is the worst. It was kind of interesting when it first came out but it's hot garbage now. I like the colossus fight, it's got stuff that really requires teamwork but is not too complex to require constant communication and planning, the daily missions on the other hand, terrible design and not worth the time they require unless you have a team.

Don't have to team up with others to do them, unless you can't adjust and adapt to the way the dailies are supposed to be done.
    I know how the dailies "are supposed to be done", I did a guide a few years back and some of those strategies still work, and so let me repeat the relevant bit that you seem to have missed: "the daily missions on the other hand, terrible design and not worth the time they require"

Note, that does not mean that I can't do the dailies, or that I don't know how, or can't do them without a group, it means that I'm not interested in taking the time out of my day to do them because I feel the event and the rewards given from the event are worthy of the time sink needed to do the dailies. Do you understand what I'm saying now?
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Posts: 4,915 Arc User

Wasn't that only the mega destroids? I thought he meant the mob group spawns.

Yeah, that. Scary monster tech only makes things less bad for lowbies.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • Options
    shadowolf505shadowolf505 Posts: 697 Arc User
    guyhumual said:

guyhumual said:

This event is the worst. It was kind of interesting when it first came out but it's hot garbage now. I like the colossus fight, it's got stuff that really requires teamwork but is not too complex to require constant communication and planning, the daily missions on the other hand, terrible design and not worth the time they require unless you have a team.

Don't have to team up with others to do them, unless you can't adjust and adapt to the way the dailies are supposed to be done.
    I know how the dailies "are supposed to be done", I did a guide a few years back and some of those strategies still work, and so let me repeat the relevant bit that you seem to have missed: "the daily missions on the other hand, terrible design and not worth the time they require"

Note, that does not mean that I can't do the dailies, or that I don't know how, or can't do them without a group, it means that I'm not interested in taking the time out of my day to do them because I feel the event and the rewards given from the event are worthy of the time sink needed to do the dailies. Do you understand what I'm saying now?
    If you want the rewards from the daily, you would do the daily. If you don't, you don't do the daily. And I didn't miss that part, I just said something else.
    || Main Tank || DPSer || Healer || CCer || Altoholic || @shadowolf505 in game ||
  • Options

If you want the rewards from the daily, you would do the daily. If you don't, you don't do the daily. And I didn't miss that part, I just said something else.

Then why quote me in the first place? What's the point of saying "Don't have to team up with others" or "unless you can't adjust and adapt" unless it's a refute of a statement I never made? I make a statement that's essentially me saying "Not worth my time" and then you quote me saying effectively saying "n00b", or at least that's my reading, but maybe you can explain why you needed to quote me to point out what must have been said ad nauseum already in this thread?
  • Options
    Let me explain quickly my problems with this event: Yes, the mobs can be soloed, but the daily rewards are weak sauce, the drops non existent, the event store over priced, and even the missions themselves aren't well designed. Why do we need 25 worms but only 3 devices for example, there are a few worm mobs around the city that aren't guarding devices, but they're extremely rare which means people usually destroy 3 deices and clear the worms out from around a 4th device and I don't think those worms respawn while the device is still up. I do know that there are a few worms that appear in the nightmare colossus event, but unless you're quick and have a good AoE attack you're not going to complete that daily in the Nightmare Colossus fight. Destroying the portals on the other hand, I've done that with killing as few as 11 of the mobs guarding them and can easily make up the difference of 39 or so in the colossus fight. It's just not a well thought threw or well designed event. I do like the colossus fight, as I've said already, but for the most part this event is garbage.
  • Options
    roughbearmattachroughbearmattach Posts: 4,784 Arc User
    I did one Nightmare Colossus, mostly because there was a zone request for a MT. It was fine.

Otherwise, haven't bothered with the event. No biggie.

I did, however, play the game with a friend of mine, complete newb. We leveled new characters to 12 in West Side, avoiding event mobs without issue. He asked about the event, and I just noted that the mobs are much too tough for two level 10 characters.

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.
  • Options
    jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,455 Arc User
    I agree that the vendor store is weak. Who really needs animal skulls for costumes? Probably pretty few. It'd be nice to have more useful costumes. Only 2 pieces were of interest to me. The main reason I have participated (other than seeing if the characters I decided to use could solo the 2 mobs), is that I am on a quest to get a vehicle that I don't have to use real money on for each of my level 40s. Each event I pick up one (others I buy with excess Q or off the AH). That said, I wouldn't mind if some of the rather weak vehicles dropped as rewards (if they do, I haven't seen one).

I've also been selling purple rocks and making some decent extra Gs for them.
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
  • Options
    lordnightmare#9851 lordnightmare Posts: 38 Arc User
    edited January 2018

Who really needs animal skulls for costumes?

I mean if they were wearable skulls like the Moose and Bull ones instead of just flat out skulls I'd be inclined.

Otherwise the only real reason I'm interested in it is for the Void and the non-bone costume pieces. On and Inspire.. oh and the cores for when I get the aforementioned Void.
    <B><COLOR="blue">Behold, the greatest Nightmare returns!</COLOR></B>
  • Options
    themightyzeniththemightyzenith Posts: 4,599 Arc User

I mean if they were wearable skulls like the Moose and Bull ones instead of just flat out skulls I'd be inclined.

Gotta agree with this.

zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods
  • Options
    xacchaeusxacchaeus Posts: 308 Arc User
    ..or if they were usable with existing headwear without the awful clipping (some might be better than others)
  • Options
    Well I could imagine making an homage to "The Magus' Bride" which came out last year. It's a pretty good anime but apart from that I can't really think of much use for these costume parts.

When this event first came out, and was far more reasonable then it is today, I farmed the heck out of it to get the long sleeves and wrapped cloth, two good parts, but there's really not much that jumps out at me today. The hair looks a bit like stuff we already have but that's about all I see of interest.
  • Options
    beezeezebeezeeze Posts: 927 Arc User
    I've gotten a few of the skulls as drops in the past but have never found a use for them...I have been eyeing the bird skull in the event store this time around though. Got the mask as a drop so probably going to get the horns to go along with it, maybe the hairdo as well since new hair is always nice and I am always curious as to what combos can be made using other styles but as others have pointed out it looks a bit same-ish as some of the other styles we have gotten lately. Pretty much everything else I have any interest in I have already picked up the last few times the event was out.

By pulling the horror mobs off the rooftop and going back up top to get the portal I have been able to pretty reliably solo the portals daily so getting enough tokens on the characters I have been using to farm the event shouldn't be any trouble even if the event does end on Thursday.

• Options
    grimvanegrimvane Posts: 49 Arc User
    Returning player here. Recently re-subbed.

I've really enjoyed this event. Teaming for the dailies. Talking the newbies through it and encouraging them until we find the right strategy and some success. Manning the orbs when they're being neglected. I haven't touched any of my toons that can solo the portal groups (not just sniping the portal, to be clear, but the entire groups*), haven't even been tempted.

I did find myself respeccing my first and favorite toon into a Knockdown, stunning, knock toward, knockback mayhem loving juggernaut. I think it would be fair to place some of the blame for that inspiration on the portal mobs.

I don't have any interest in the rewards; got a vehicle when I last subbed close to 2 years ago, and I think someone already mentioned the BOP auras being a little backwards from a character creation standpoint for some of us. The reward this time simply came from the "challenge", as subjective as that is, and overcoming it.

The last few days I've been leveling in MC, up to 15, and honestly the event mobs haven't been an unavoidable issue anywhere throughout the westside arc, with the exception of a portal group that is battling Iron (I think) and his mobs. It didn't interfere with completing the quest when I was there but if I had shown up a minute or less later he might have been dead already.

I actually like the tuning of the siphon and portal groups, the danger they present if you aren't careful; the dynamic they offer is a nice change of pace to the typically safe and static environment. I'd love to see a similar event where the spawns are nemeses and their minions instead of horrors, with the same tuning.
    guyhumual said:

...When this event first came out, and was far more reasonable then it is today...

*What changed exactly? The worms/siphons seem the same as I remember from close to 2 years ago. Are the portals/horrors harder than they used to be? More HP? More numerous? I did have guys that could solo these, but like I said I haven't even tried this time around. Is it the group shields?

• Options
    warcanchwarcanch Posts: 1,093 Arc User
    I loved watching nearby enemy NPC mobs and the Portal/Siphon groups attack each other. It didn't matter that I saw some of the Portal/Siphon groups with the AoRP buff or the shield. It was no guarantee that this group would win. hG7UctY.png

I admit, I couldn't solo the full-on purple colored, max level groups, ... mostly. Occasionally, it seemed a purple group didn't have the full range of buffs and I won. But, after whining in some of the chat groups about my lack of purple rocks, I was given various advice about how to solo the non-OM stuff and what to do at the OM. This tactic got me from 3 purple rocks to 57 ... with many hours of farming.

As to the Portal/Siphon groups, almost all of them have a non-Portal/Siphon group nearby that mostly scale to you. And, even if they don't, it's only 5 NPCs in the group. Pull them to any nearby mob (not Nightmare guys) and get some help.​​

-=-=-=-=-=-(CO in-game handle: @WarCan )-=-=-=-=-=-
    "Okay, you're DEAD, what do you do NEXT?"
  • Options
    The best is chickens AOE attack and it knocks all mobs around the block and roof back like 50ft...I was on a billboard watching.

It was hilarious....

I mean...I was deep in the mix of the battle and I....I was...I (runs away)
  • Options
    What was it with the purple rocks? I have some rocks (including purple ones) but I don't understand what they're for. Is it a perk thing?
  • Options

What was it with the purple rocks? I have some rocks (including purple ones) but I don't understand what they're for. Is it a perk thing?

There are six rock types (from five events; white rocks can drop at any time), and on monster island there's a rock vendor with 4 things you can buy: a pet (75 of each rock type), an attack device (35 of each), an action figure (25 of each), and a vanity device (15 of each).
  • Options
    pwestolemynamepwestolemyname Posts: 978 Arc User
    guyhumual said:

Let me explain quickly my problems with this event: Yes, the mobs can be soloed, but the daily rewards are weak sauce, the drops non existent, the event store over priced, and even the missions themselves aren't well designed.

See, now these are actually legitimate concerns. The rewards do not really match the effort. The costumes are mostly craptastic, as are the auras. I wouldn't even complain much about the prices, though they do seem unusually high given the difficulty factor, if there was anything interesting to buy.

When you compare the difficulty - reward ratio to other events, this one definitely comes out well below par.

The real lost opportunity is for some more interesting costumes. A half-dozen skull-heads for "superheroes" isn't really intriguing to most people. But, some crazy, surreal parts could be a lot of fun. This is the event for it, moreso than any of the others.
    - - - - -
    SIGNATURE:
    Used to be coach on the forums. Still @coach in game.
  • Options
    I don't find the token grind appreciably harder than any other event and the prices are pretty much standard, but I have to agree about the stuff you can get just not being very interesting.
  • Options
    aesicaaesica Posts: 2,537 Arc User
    edited February 2018
    One thing I will say about this event that I actually like is the quest structuring. What I mean is that you can choose which parts to do and which to skip. For example, you could choose to kill a chicken and some worms, skipping the horrors entirely and finish 2 out of the 3 dailies each day. To contrast, other events like the xmas one force you to both do the Black Harlequin queue and kill Clarence as part of the same quest.

A la carte quests are good, bundled quests...not so much.​​
    (Hopefully) Useful CO Resources: HeroCreator (character planner), Cosmic Timers/Alert Checklist, Blood Moon Map, Anniversary Cat Map, and more (eventually, anyway).
  • Options
    grimvane said:

*What changed exactly? The worms/siphons seem the same as I remember from close to 2 years ago. Are the portals/horrors harder than they used to be? More HP? More numerous? I did have guys that could solo these, but like I said I haven't even tried this time around. Is it the group shields?

I believe the Qlippoth zone happened. The mobs got a make over. Even the worms are harder now if you get a follower or priest type in the mob. For most decent builds the worms still aren't a threat, but defeating them can take considerably longer if you can't take out those buffing and healing worms first. Like I said earlier, still possible to solo but it's now harder and takes longer, and this event just doesn't have enough things in it for me to put in the extra effort.
  • Options
    beezeezebeezeeze Posts: 927 Arc User

The best is chickens AOE attack and it knocks all mobs around the block and roof back like 50ft...I was on a billboard watching.

It was hilarious....

I mean...I was deep in the mix of the battle and I....I was...I (runs away)

Oh man that knock could be brutal sometimes, I got hit so far once that it took me out of teamup.

• Options

I don't find the token grind appreciably harder than any other event and the prices are pretty much standard, but I have to agree about the stuff you can get just not being very interesting.

Well I usually grind for costume parts, that's what I play this game for, so consider how many costume pieces are priced in the 400 range, the top tier we have for costume parts, contrasted with how many we got in the 250 range. The fact that most of those pieces aren't very good is kind of besides the point IMO.
  • Options

If you're not collecting they mean big bucks over at the AH. I managed to get 5 this year, and adding it to the total I collected from previous years I now have 6. Compare that to the 200 I have from Christmas and Halloween.
  • Options
    I did just enough event stuff to get the new hair. Then I went and played GTAV o3o

I remember at least one person going nuts about new skull types, so I'm sure there's someone out there who tried to get every single one of them owo
  • Options
    vonqballvonqball Posts: 929 Arc User
    I was leveling a lowbie down at the westside docks... and I accidentally riled up a wormy crew. It turned out great though... they chased me through the containers for a good long while. But, they kept picking fights with the local mobs (and utterly crushing them). Those nice worms ended up doing 90% of the legwork for the two quests I was working on. Thanks worm frands!

But, they did chase me for a really long time, and I did think to myself "if I was a new player I would be so ded." I dunno... mixed feelings... fun for me tho!
  • Options
    spinnytop said:

I did just enough event stuff to get the new hair. Then I went and played GTAV o3o

I remember at least one person going nuts about new skull types, so I'm sure there's someone out there who tried to get every single one of them owo

I also did enough to get the hair, and I'm sure there's folks out there that like the skulls, but I'd think it's a smaller niche group. Probably folks that do costume contests on a regular basis.
  • Options
    jonesing4jonesing4 Posts: 800 Arc User
    Just glad the sky is back to normal in MC. I can actually see what my characters look like again.
  • Options
    Can we all agree that CO has probably done the whole "purple sky" thing, now?
  • Options

Can we all agree that CO has probably done the whole "purple sky" thing, now?

Yeah, we need more variety in weird sky colors. Always purple, never pink or green.
  • Options
    guyhumual said:

I also did enough to get the hair, and I'm sure there's folks out there that like the skulls, but I'd think it's a smaller niche group. Probably folks that do costume contests on a regular basis.

I don't have enough information to determine if they are a niche group or not.
  • Options
    spinnytop said:

I don't know either, which is why I said "I'd think" rather just asserting something as fact.
  • Options
    spinnytop said:

Evidence suggests they sell poorly in the AH.