test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Please get rid of the zones.

There are too few players online at the same time, even at peak hours, to defend having different zones.
Surely one zone can handle 300 players?
If not, then it's time to invest in better tech, so the came can come alive again.
All players meet outside the powerhouse, but as fast as you go to any other place on the map, the game feels dead.
Are there any plans for a upgrade? Does the system actually need a upgrade?

Comments

• fusionax77fusionax77 Posts: 12 Arc User
    The problem with raising the zone cap to 300 is that there's a lot more stress put on whatever instances have that cap. A lot of players doing nothing, despite what you may think, still uses up a ton of resources.

When the zone cap was at 100 and Onslaught Villains were introduced, I believe that Kaizerin (our resident dev) mentioned that the large amounts of population acting all at once resulted in many player actions being completely dropped simply because they couldn't be processed if I recall.

As well, upgrading the server hardware itself isn't as seamless as I'm pretty sure you're assuming it to be.
  • pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    The servers could maybe handle 300 people in one zone if those 300 people were spread out (not more than ~100 in any section of the city, not more than ~50 at any one encounter) but it certainly can't handle them all bunching up.
  • ealford1985ealford1985 Posts: 3,582 Arc User
    I like being a zone of few...especially farming OV guardians
  • flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User

There are too few players online at the same time, even at peak hours, to defend having different zones.
    If not, then it's time to invest in better tech, so the came can come alive again.
    All players meet outside the powerhouse, but as fast as you go to any other place on the map, the game feels dead.

Nope.
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    edited November 2017

That is a well thought out statement if I've ever seen one. *cough*
  • t5universet5universe Posts: 15 Arc User
    Answers like "nope" or "That is a well thought out statement if I've ever seen one. *cough* isn't helpful at all.
    You're defending just because...
    Instead you shouldn't be content with having a mmo that's light years behind the others.
    By defending the bad tech, you'll never get a better game.
    I asked if the game needs a overhaul tech wise, and apparently it does.
    So, why should the devs invest in better server tech? Duh...that would lead to a more living game, and more paying players.
    In my point of view it's just bad business imagining that people will stay if nothing happens.
    Defending this is just illogical.
  • combatclown81combatclown81 Posts: 86 Arc User
    edited November 2017

Answers like "nope" or "That is a well thought out statement if I've ever seen one. *cough* isn't helpful at all.
    Instead you shouldn't be content with having a mmo that's light years behind the others.
    So, why should the devs invest in better server tech? Duh...that would lead to a more living game, and more paying players.
    In my point of view it's just bad business imagining that people will stay if nothing happens.

You do realize this game is old. Also, having "too few players online at the same time, even at peak hours, to defend having different zones" is not a good thing right? It means the game doesn't make that much money. Why would they invest money to improve it?
  • blockwaveblockwave Posts: 329 Arc User
    I don't see the problem with zones, alot of MMOs these days have instances, GW2 has some, you just can't switch to another one ,putting money in the game has already been brought up by many players and the answers are the same, it's not worth the cost.

• kamokamikamokami Posts: 1,633 Arc User
    edited November 2017

It's not a question of "we don't want things to be better". We all do. I want this and a 1,000 other things. But if we're to move the discussion past wishes and dreams and into actual implementation...that's where trade offs and cost and "what could be done instead?" come in and that's where an idea like this gets "nope!"

Because if we're actually talking about doing this, then we'd prefer that time and money to be spent on doing something else.
  • beezeezebeezeeze Posts: 927 Arc User

This is an old game in a niche genre... it isn't that all these people are defending an outdated system it is more that most of the folks around here have simply come to accept what we can reasonably expect from our small team of devs. There are several valid reasons for the zones being capped the way they are and that is unlikely to ever change.

It's alight to reach for the stars but remember to keep your feet planted firmly on the ground.

• kamokamikamokami Posts: 1,633 Arc User
    I mean if we want to stick to wishes and dreams, then I'd prefer that the game be made available on consoles with essentially a mini re-launch level of marketing with messaging being heavily focused on customization.

It's been several years of trying new games and there's still nothing that comes close to CO in this regard imo.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Posts: 4,915 Arc User
    Also, the game is designed around the concept of instances. taking those away would have a significant impact on the way the game plays.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • xrazamaxxrazamax Posts: 979 Arc User
    ^Yeah. Unless I'm mistaken, content is also currently designed around the zone caps. 300 zone cap would mean 300 players able to fight Mega Destroyer OM or 300 players fighting an Onslaught Villain. Or 300 Onslaught Villains fighting each other. That isn't even considering leaving the zones open for other events like Clarence's OM.
    Strange that it works on other mmos.
  • roughbearmattachroughbearmattach Posts: 4,784 Arc User
    Those mmos are built differently.

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.

Not as well as you might think; a lot of what CO is doing with open world encounters would in most MMOs be instanced raids with player counts no higher than what CO manages. This is not to say Cryptic server architecture couldn't be improved, but, well, the budget for improvement is pretty closely connected to the number of players online.
    Actually setting the pop limit to 300 in a Cryptic Zone would be a lot easier if it was a strictly no-combat zone.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • stergasterga Posts: 2,353 Arc User
    The game can't even handle 65 player zone caps during events.

It's not just hardware. This game is older and the terrible code is something that comes up from time to time. I would not be surprised if there where so many non-hardware issues with the game that they are impossible to correct at this point barring creating a new game from scratch.

We'll probably see a Torchlight MMO before CO gets an update like that.​​
    YouTube - Steam - Twitter
    [at]riviania Member since Aug 2009

That is a well thought out statement if I've ever seen one. *cough*
  • draogndraogn Posts: 1,269 Arc User
    The game would need better servers and engine before they could even begin to make this change. For that kind of thing to happen it would require time and better resources. We don't get much now as is, that kind of change would result in CO getting even less content.
    edited November 2017

So i need to change my answer to 'Yes'. Would that make things better?
    Since been in this game over 8 years one gains a bit of knowledge what is and what is not going to happen.
    I could write a Wall of Text for a wider explanation, but threads like these can be counted in dozens in the past years.
    With same questions, answers and same ideas of needed improvements.
    I just saved a lot of time and trouble with a short and reality based answer.
    I bet with a little effort you could have found all the answers in the Forum.
    :#

Since been in this game over 8 years one gains a bit of knowledge what is and what is not going to happen.
    I could write a Wall of Text for a wider explanation, but threads like these can be counted in dozens in the past years.
    To be fair these forums are outdated and suck. So it might not be as easy to find. Especially since a lot of the posts from the old forums are gone.
  • monaahirumonaahiru Posts: 3,073 Arc User
    edited November 2017
    I think terrible lag and DC may happen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DkLVWTB7PY

I've got DCed after this event so easily. No idea how many people we had in zone at this time.
    So the chances of a CO2 being in development is pretty much null?
    Seems strange that a mmo company doesn't want to continue evolving, that's just bad business.
    You won't get more players unless you evolve.

Yes.

Seems strange that a mmo company doesn't want to continue evolving, that's just bad business.

They are continuing to evolve. It's just that the direction of evolution doesn't happen to involve CO2. Games only get sequels if they're popular enough that the sequel seems likely to be profitable, and while CO isn't dead, it also doesn't have the 10k+ PCU required to justify a sequel.
    draogn said:

To be fair these forums are outdated and suck. So it might not be as easy to find. Especially since a lot of the posts from the old forums are gone.
    sshhhh....Let's not ruin the little effort. ;)

Games only get sequels if they're popular enough that the sequel seems likely to be profitable, and while CO isn't dead, it also doesn't have the 10k+ PCU required to justify a sequel.

And it never will if they don't bother to make the game feel more alive.
    Yesterday the northern Canada zone had a population high of 17 players.

According your (and others) logic, this game can't handle a couple of hundred players in one zone...in other words, if the game had a 10K population it would crash. That doesen't make sense.
    You can't have a game with such a terrible technology. Even COH had far more players in one zone at a time, and their version of the engine was older.

A Champions 2.0 with a unreal engine would be a cash cow. Better characters, more realistic textures on the environment (nature and buildings), weather, and over-all atmosphere.
    And instead of just thinking like a sheep and accepting the game's standard as it is, show the devs that you want a higher standard of game.
  • jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,429 Arc User
    So much this! Have you ever tried to farm OV Guardians? Always fun to find that someone else beat you to them and you might not be able to complete the mission. Having multiple instances makes this far less likely to happen.

OTOH it would be amusing to watch 300 people crowding around Defender in MC :)

I like being a zone of few...especially farming OV guardians

JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!

Games only get sequels if they're popular enough that the sequel seems likely to be profitable, and while CO isn't dead, it also doesn't have the 10k+ PCU required to justify a sequel.

And it never will if they don't bother to make the game feel more alive.

According your (and others) logic, this game can't handle a couple of hundred players in one zone...in other words, if the game had a 10K population it would crash. That doesen't make sense.
    You can't have a game with such a terrible technology. Even COH had far more players in one zone at a time, and their version of the engine was older.

A Champions 2.0 with a unreal engine would be a cash cow. Better characters, more realistic textures on the environment (nature and buildings), weather, and over-all atmosphere.
    And instead of just thinking like a sheep and accepting the game's standard as it is, show the devs that you want a higher standard of game.
    The unreal engine is overrated. Just as calling anyone who doesn't agree with you a sheep is an over used tripe.

Those numbers you listed don't take into account people in alerts, instances, lairs, quest maps, or switching from character to character. That isn't to say the games population is good, it certainly isn't. But what you're asking for isn't simple or cheap. As such it isn't really worth the companies time to do for CO.
    If we let, cheap and easy, be the reasons for not doing a thing, then we wouldn't have had any MMO.
    The Unreal Engine in the right hands can do wonders. It's all just a matter of imagination, time and the foresight to make the game more modern, and thus more profitable.
    You have to spend money in order to earn more money.
    It's logical to assume that every current subscriber would recommend this game to new players if it evolved.
    I find it weird that people defend the status quo and just shrug their proverbial shoulders, "This is how it is."
    Don't get me wrong, I love this game, and that is why I want it to evolve.
    There is no reason to just accept that this game should die.
    A modern version of this game would take the mmo world by storm.
    Lots of gamers are waiting for it.
    Cryptic, dare more, earn more.
  • aiqaaiqa Posts: 2,620 Arc User
    I think most people here want CO to grow. But lots of people also have a bit of an idea of what is reasonable by now. And big engine upgrades (and balancing all fights to scale from a dozen to a few hundred players) are just not in the cards.
  • jonesing4jonesing4 Posts: 800 Arc User
    > @t5universe said:
    >
    > You have to spend money in order to earn more money.

True, for the most part. But spending money doesn’t guarantee making money. Not sure why you are ignoring that part.

> It's logical to assume that every current subscriber would recommend this game to new players if it evolved.

No, it isn’t “logical” to assume anywhere near a 100% rate of recommendation for anything, let alone a niche, almost 10-year-old game.

> There is no reason to just accept that this game should die.

Sure there is: it’s a video game, and video games die. For the most part, the only games that keep more than a few hundred people playing them 10 years after they came out are reeeeeeally good, classic games. Even at its height, CO wasn’t that game.

And again, you’re misunderstanding/twisting what people have said. We aren’t saying it’s a dead game that’s going sunset soon. We’re saying that this level of development (steady trickle, occasional new shinies, few if any periods of total void) is as much as we’re going to get. You are free to live in your own fantasy where CO is something more than this, but there’s no need to be insulting to people who have been around long enough to know better.
  • revanantmoriturirevanantmorituri Posts: 391 Arc User
    Also remember Cryptic has games that are more popular, with more updated forms of the engine: Star Trek and Neverwinter. These games also have a 50 person zone cap, As games progress, environmental and character textures improve, along with screen resolution, faster than server technology progresses. Yes, back in the day, Final Fantasy 11 boasted open world events with 2-300 players, but their art quality was vastly lower (Targeted at the 640x480 console screens of the time), with what were considered acceptable graphics compromises (very rectangular mitten-hands).

For the time being, we have to accept that the MMO genre has taken a huge population hit from the development of addictive smartphone games. One it is unlikely to recover from until the development of truly immersive VR gaming.
    -
    Formerly @Seschat pre PWEmerger. @Seschat on the Titan boards.

Supporter of the Titan Project.
  • beezeezebeezeeze Posts: 927 Arc User

show the devs that you want a higher standard of game.

How exactly?

Do I just gotta say, Hey devs make this game more better.
    Is that it? Did I do it?
    Wonderful. We sure showed them.

• nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User

Its an old game thats only playerbase seems to be the denizens of Fur Affinity. Cryptic has more successful games to run. CO is its pet game that it keeps online because Cryptic always has to have a 4 color mmo around.
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!

According your (and others) logic, this game can't handle a couple of hundred players in one zone...in other words, if the game had a 10K population it would crash.

Nah, it would just have a large number of instances of each zone, each with its own zone cap. At launch MC had a zone cap of 100 and we'd see MC#25; counting people in instances and other zones that's in the 10k range.
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    I don't think t5 has a real grasp of the way instances work here. Or of the complexities of software engineering, or hardware replacement (hint: it's more comparable to pulling the engine from a Chevy and replacing it with one from a Porsche, than to the process of changing out your old cell phone for a new one).

As for instance caps, I'm not certain, but I think the cap limit in STO, a much more populous (and popular) game than this one, is around 50 players. There are typically double-digit numbers of instances of Earth Spacedock (many people avoid it not because of its population levels one way or the other, but because Zone Chat in ESD sometimes makes Barrens Chat look civilized). I really don't think the 100-toon limit in CO is causing any of its problems, except during events when it can cause graphic problems (because the system tries to allocate resources to display every toon in the entire Zone, just in case).
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
  • riveroceanriverocean Posts: 1,690 Arc User
    Not going to happen... Ever. The current zone structure was implemented because having more than 50 players in an event caused serious issues. CO's engine and servers simply couldn't handle it.

The devs have been really honest with us about this game and it's status. This is an 8 year old low population game. Superhero MMO's in general don't age well. We're lucky the game hasn't been mothballed.

Yes, architecture improvements would be nice. No one is saying we wouldn't enjoy them. But as it's been explained they are highly unlikely.
    Questions About AT Play? Visit Silverwolfx11's Updated AT Guides!
  • kjodellkjodell Posts: 83 Arc User
    edited November 2017

Just like the real Canada.
    It's interesting to see the defeatist atmosphere here.
    Clearly you have accepted the game's quality as it is.
    I just wanted to know. Now I have the answer.
  • magpieuk2014magpieuk2014 Posts: 1,268 Arc User
    It's not defeatist, we just know how many people play the game, how many could be attracted back, how much money they might spend. The game chugs along, there's some new stuff now and then, and people seem to be quite fond of it.... could be worse.
  • nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User

PWE has a policy of games living within their means. If your idea went through with brand new servers and all that jazz it would be fantastic for about one week before the game burns through its cash and ends up getting shut down.
    PWE is more than fair to CO.

nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
    nepht said:

PWE has a policy of games living within their means. If your idea went through with brand new servers and all that jazz it would be fantastic for about one week before the game burns through its cash and ends up getting shut down.
    PWE is more than fair to CO.
    So much this, the OP's suggestion is wishful thinking.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • stergasterga Posts: 2,353 Arc User
    t5universe wrote: »

There is nothing we can do about how Cryptic and PW choose to run /develop their game. You can claim "defeatist atmosphere" all you want, but most people are being realistic in explaining why your wish list isn't going to happen. If you choose to remain naive, well... have fun with that.​​
    YouTube - Steam - Twitter
    [at]riviania Member since Aug 2009
    edited November 2017

You know they have multiple games currently ongoing right? One is a Star Trek game, and the other is a Dungeons and Dragons game. Is having those two licenses bad business?

This is where folks like you always end up in these kinds of threads, accusing everyone of having given up and not caring simply because we have actual answers to your questions rather than all just jumping aboard your magical dream express. Well, you'll be gone next week and everyone will have forgotten you and your short-lived crusade, and the people in this thread who responded to you will still be here actually helping to keep this game afloat. So say what you like, then move along.
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    Any time I see a non-programmer claim coding something would be "easy", I think of this xkcd:

"Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    I could swear I remember posts from gradii in the past criticizing people who no longer play the game for hanging around the forums and making "this game sucks" posts ^_^
  • guyhumualguyhumual Posts: 2,391 Arc User
    I don't understand why you'd want 300+ people in one zone to begin with.