test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

How can the melee vs ranged situation be improved?

Theme is a valid reason to play melee over ranged.

In a purely tactical sense melee still lags behind ranged in many ways. Many fights put melee in greater danger thanks to proximity, and in most other fights melee does not enjoy the benefits of being able to line-of-sight and range dance in order to keep themselves alive. If a melee character wants to use los or range then they have to completely give up their offense as well. Running away to recover isn't as appealing to melee as it is to ranged because moving back into effective range for a melee usually means running at least a short gauntlet, often undoing whatever recovery they managed.

Currently the benefits to melee characters can be summed up pretty briefly and in a tactical sense to me don't feel like they make up for the significant downsides. I think that the melee role specifically could use some improvement to narrow the gap, to make a pun, between the two roles, as melee dps specifically is the role that feels these downsides the most. I'm interested in hearing ideas from people agree that the gap is too wide on how the situation could be improved.

If you disagree and think the situation is fine, great. I'm sure you'll say as much.

Comments

• dakrushmordakrushmor Posts: 592 Arc User
    1. Nerf PA down to level of all the other ranged setups
    2. Buff all the melee sets up to level of Dragon Claws
    3. Done
  • chaosdrgnz43chaosdrgnz43 Posts: 1,674 Arc User
    Maybe have some ranged powers scale with melee dmg? Eh, sounds ironic. But it may give some melee characters so utility.
    mfZ37eB.png
    Feel free to visit my websites!^^:
    DeviantART|FurAffinity|
    Twitter
  • aesicaaesica Posts: 2,537 Arc User
    In terms of boss mecahnics, it has to be done on bosses that are overly punishing:

1) Reduce any melee-range aoe attacks to frontal cone or cylinder only. This way, it becomes the tank's responsibility to properly face the boss. It's also okay for not every boss to have a frontal cone/cylinder attack. :P

2) Random-target aoe mechanics (fire on the ground, etc) should either target ranged or support exclusively, or target melee with reduced frequency. Currently with random-target circles of bad (unless the fight requires silly stacking) if a ranged is targeted, 1-2 people have to move. If a melee is targeted, most of the melee lump has to move and may even be unable to attack for a few seconds.

If you're talking about just standard questing, I think they tried to do that through some of the melee-based offensive passives, like unstoppable with its damage reduction. Doesn't seem to work very well though.
    (Hopefully) Useful CO Resources: HeroCreator (character planner), Cosmic Timers/Alert Checklist, Blood Moon Map, Anniversary Cat Map, and more (eventually, anyway).
  • biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Arc User

Maybe have some ranged powers scale with melee dmg? Eh, sounds ironic. But it may give some melee characters so utility.

So much no. I don't wanna have to bring a gun to a fight just because me being close to the target punishes me.

I mean, I actually did this, when the cosmics were first reintroduced, my melee builds all included a gun so that I could shoot when it was inconvenient to me to try to get into close range (THE FLOOR IS LAVA!). I very much don't want to have to do this again in order to stop being spanked for choosing to punch stuff instead of shoot it.

I chose melee six or seven years ago when I made my characters, and I'd like to keep it that way.

Off the top of my head, I think a pretty decent way to go (not knowing how hard this is to implement) is to punish ranged characters when they don't do the job that they're best for. Like during Eidolon, what happens if one melee guy goes to attack the healy orbs, which takes more focus and effort to do as melee than it does ranged, and the thing doesn't die in time? Friggin' nothing to the ranged guy, who could have targeted and started attacking it way quicker than the melee guy who had to move all the way over there and put himself in danger by being close to the thing when it explodes. So the solution? Depending on your role, if you're Ranged Damage role, you do more damage to the thing the farther away you are, and take more damage from it if it explodes. This makes it so ranged don't just get into melee range to avoid taking a bunch of damage when they don't do their job, and rewards melee for getting in there and at least trying. Closer you are to the thing when it explodes when you're melee, the less damage you take from it. Farther you are, you take a crapload of damage. Maybe the explosion ignores tanks and healers, since they gots no bidness with these things.

Same goes for like, tombs at Kigatilik. When one of the tanks gets tombed, it's really up to ranged to focus on those things. Melee goes up there, they might get killed by Kigs' AoE attacks, and end up healing him. Double whammy. Ranged is safe from potentially healing him, so it's their job.

Punish the ones who didn't do their job correctly, not just who happens to be closest to the thing when it blows up.

And I'm not just saying this as an angry melee dude. I play lots of ranged characters as well, and I feel a lot more "safe" when playing as ranged. It feels like cheating. Oh, I don't have to worry about lunging through lava pits and can start DPS right away? Oh I don't have to touch WASD to take out that Frozen Tomb? Heck if I'm doing ranged AoE, I don't even have to change targets to help taking out that tomb? Oh I won't die if I pretend that green orb isn't there? Oh I don't have to wedge myself with a bunch of sweaty giant men while never knowing if I'm safe from breath or tail range? On top of that I can also get gear which rewards me for being farther away from my target? NEATO!

biffsig.jpg
  • rtmartma Posts: 1,198 Arc User
    Well, Classic trade off for when Melee vs Ranged is concerned, I'll give a few comparisons -
    Melee generally does more damage then Ranged,
    Melee hits more consistently, while Ranged is subjected to Accuracy, further away you are without charging/aiming shots, the less likely you're to hit your target,
    Melee uses Stamina which regenerates overtime while Ranged uses Energy/Ammo/Other means of Energy production, which can deplete and requires to reload/recharge etc.
    Want to get to know me a bit better, Click me and take a read of My Dragon Profile Page, it's a bit dated but still relevant.

I take this quote from a review that I agree with.

"customisation is so linear; everyone is after the optimal dps:survivability ratio with 0 reliance on other players = autonomous gameplay... Players don't need each other anymore... which in my opinion is a bad thing."
  • jennymachxjennymachx Posts: 3,000 Arc User
    edited November 2016
    rtma said:

Melee hits more consistently, while Ranged is subjected to Accuracy, further away you are without charging/aiming shots, the less likely you're to hit your target

That's counter-intiutive to bother playing ranged in the first place. If I get a chance-to-miss modifier to my attack that increases the further I am away from the target, why the heck wouldn't I go point-blank range? Why play range instead of melee in this instance, especially when melee hits more consistently and does more damage in your suggestion?
  • notyuunotyuu Posts: 1,121 Arc User
    Imho, Melee could do with a speed boost, for some of the slower moves... as they are well.... slow, when combined with range limitations.. makes it kinda hard to use em vs a boss you have to block against every 2 seconds.

There is also the fact that melee pound for pound tends to do more damage for the resistance avaiable without having to be overly relent on crits...mix in crits and things get intresting.

and on a side note, between the targeting arc BS, stacking energy increasing energy costs and the energy unlock not working propperly [it gives more energy from rec alone than it does with int and end combined] PA already has enough issues without getting its damage nerfed into the ground damage wise.
    In all things, a calm heart must prevail.

Member of Paragon Dawn: Because some people like friendly helpful communities.

eOGi6Cv.png9rfvawn.pngr3iD4nS.png

Yeah some things are broken... no I don't use/abuse them.. where would be the fun in that?
  • rtmartma Posts: 1,198 Arc User
    edited November 2016

rtma said:

Melee hits more consistently, while Ranged is subjected to Accuracy, further away you are without charging/aiming shots, the less likely you're to hit your target

That's counter-intiutive to bother playing ranged in the first place. If I get a chance-to-miss modifier to my attack that increases the further I am away from the target, why the heck wouldn't I go point-blank range? Why play range instead of melee in this instance, especially when melee hits more consistently and does more damage in your suggestion?
    I gave general comparisons that could be implemented or are in general when it comes to how these 2 styles are in other games, I'm suggesting something more reasonable when it comes to CO, something like 100%-25% sorta range as for Melee the slower heavy attacks like Heavy Weapons would hit overall harder for their characteristic build up while faster strikes like Unarmed and Blades are faster but lighter, you know, when interacting with the material plane where physics are involved, not like it's gonna be implemented so I'm not expecting any questionable response.
    Want to get to know me a bit better, Click me and take a read of My Dragon Profile Page, it's a bit dated but still relevant.

I take this quote from a review that I agree with.

"customisation is so linear; everyone is after the optimal dps:survivability ratio with 0 reliance on other players = autonomous gameplay... Players don't need each other anymore... which in my opinion is a bad thing."
  • roughbearmattachroughbearmattach Posts: 4,784 Arc User
    Melee powers should overall be faster than similar damage/effect ranged powers. This would apply to charged, maintained, or click powers.
    Melee powers should not self-root while charging.

These changes would be plenty for me.

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.
  • darqaura2darqaura2 Posts: 932 Arc User

Melee powers should overall be faster than similar damage/effect ranged powers. This would apply to charged, maintained, or click powers.
    Melee powers should not self-root while charging.

These changes would be plenty for me.

Agreed.
  • mithrosnomoremithrosnomore Posts: 521 Arc User

Depending on your role, if you're Ranged Damage role, you do more damage to the thing the farther away you are, and take more damage from it if it explodes. This makes it so ranged don't just get into melee range to avoid taking a bunch of damage when they don't do their job, and rewards melee for getting in there and at least trying. Closer you are to the thing when it explodes when you're melee, the less damage you take from it. Farther you are, you take a crapload of damage. Maybe the explosion ignores tanks and healers, since they gots no bidness with these things.

This may work for some ATs, but it doesn't seem like a good solution for everyone or in every situation.

My fire character, for example, likes to be up close so as to get the most out of pyre. It's a short range attack and leaves a fire patch, so I would rather stand next to the villains and let them burn in that rather than run around using strictly 50'+ stuff.

Never mind that some ranged attacks root characters while they charge/maintain them.
    What happens when someone starts charging/maintaining something and a villain charges in, or if someone else is kiting and brings a villain into my orbit right before it does something I "had no business" being in the AoE of?

=============

I think limiting the point blank AoEs and fixing the AoE on certain enemies would be a big help to some melee DPS.

Kigatilik, for example... The tanks can be up front doing their job and everything is going great, but then he uses an AoE attack on the tanks and it "leaks" onto some of the melee DPS.

That sort of thing shouldn't happen.
    If he is attacking someone in front of him then the damage should stay in front of him.

Yeah, those characters were too close, but sometimes if "too many" melee DPS shows up space is at a premium, not to mention the fact that sometimes a character can be pushed into a space they did not intend to occupy.

That melee attacks have a 10' "range" should mean that those toons can stand further back if they have to, not that they should try to stay at 10' distance at all times.

• chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    try targeting ranged past the bloatform melee characters or the ones who decide someone with huge wings in melee combat is a good idea.
    or someone lunges past you, you can't always tab target, sometimes you have to click. range loses​​
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • avianosavianos Posts: 6,028 Arc User
    edited November 2016
    dakrushmor wrote: »
    1. Nerf PA down to level of all the other ranged setups
    tumblr_oc5njkFAQR1ty9lvfo1_500.jpg

NO! YOU LEAVE PA ALONE!
    PA operates on different set up and mechanics while having many disanvatages (Energy cost management, Toggle lock out, Targeting Arc)​​
    POWERFRAME REVAMPS, NEW POWERS and BUG FIXES > Recycled Content and Events and even costumes at this point Introvert guy who use CO to make his characters playable and get experimental with Viable FF Theme builds! Running out of Unique FF builds due to the lack of updates and synergiesPlaying since 1 February 2011 98+ Characters (7 ATs, 91 FFs) ALTitis for Life!
  • dakrushmordakrushmor Posts: 592 Arc User
    gradii said:

NO! YOU LEAVE PA ALONE!

PA operates on different set up and mechanics while having many disanvatages (Energy cost management, Toggle lock out, Targeting Arc)​​

Yeah, not to mention the devs have stated power damage is directly related to energy cost, and PA has MUCH more energy cost than any other set, so of course it should do higher damage.

That your reasoning about Damage <=> Energy relations would make point in one case - if all other Frameworks had same way to convert excessive energy to damage, as PA has. Example: let's take Sorcery Ultimate attack - Crashing Incantation & remove its Cooldown completely (= 0 sec). Allowing players to spam it all day, but since its energy cost they'll be need CoAP/AoPM with it, but (probably) could hit 10K full AoE DPS.
    And total resistance debuffs from Overpower + Hex of Suffering (-38% total) this way would be comparable with PA debuffs -34.5% per player. And Sorcery would be balanced with PA this way, since both deal 10K+. If you don't score more points on your PA toon, than any other kind of toons, and don't feel that PA is obviously OP, that means you built your PA guy wrong.
    Letz consider another obviously OP power - Dragon Claws. This has nothing with energy hunger - oppositely, it provides Energy over Time on its own, yet deals way more than other Melee powers, that don't have such energy regenerating feature. These OP powers are result of inability of proper power balancing, and lack of knowledge of the most basic laws of arithmetic; there's no way to compete best built Archery setup and worst built PA setup, last one will win anyway. And this stuff in totally unacceptable in a game, based on customization, when some themes will stay behind the others, no matter how player built them, thus forcing them to play another themes in order to beat stuff like DPS checks & Eidolon's spheres.
  • revanantmoriturirevanantmorituri Posts: 391 Arc User
    Other, alternative suggestions, that don't involve editing every AT:
    1) Give the Brawler role an inherent durability enhancement. In keeping with the comics, say a 20% Dodge and Avoidance boost. (Spider Man, Katana, Nightwing, Beast, etc...)
    2) Increase the resistance bonus of the Tank role. Possibly bonus resistance to DoTs. (Hulk not move 'cuz puny ground warm and squishy, HULK SMASH!)
    3) Boost Crowd Control powers to the point they perform as advertised; you know, actually Control Crowds? I'm not asking to perma-stun bosses, but having effective, roots, slows, and interrupts (frequently found in melee attacks) would go a long way, particularly coupled with directed AoE attacks.

I do agree with limiting the quantity of 360 AoE nukes the bosses use, and swapping some out with cones/cylinders/Single target attacks. At least that way the ranged/support folks have a reason to pay attention to which way the boss is facing.
    -
    Formerly @Seschat pre PWEmerger. @Seschat on the Titan boards.

Supporter of the Titan Project.
  • spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    I'll post this here since it was posted in an unrelated thread:

Player-targeted effects get smaller the closer they are to the boss npc that spawned them, meaning that if it targets a player in the melee cluster it will be smaller and hence will not threaten as many of the melee players.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Posts: 4,915 Arc User
    Maybe give single target melee powers all a lunge range?
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters

at which point they are now RANGED.

I agree with Notyuu, a lot of the melee powers are slow. The windup ones especially. BY the time you've charged it, the enemies are dead, usually to ranged AOE attacks.
    as for cost vs damage.
    who was the person who suggested 'nerfing' Force cascade by giving it a small damage loss and a large cost discount.
    Melee needs a time discount.

and I agree with the Boom circles, especially Eidolons. There needs to be less per melee. About 1 per 3 melee max.

Our tank was telling us to just take 3 steps back. OK for them there was 3 circles total their side. melee had a thick layer 4 deep to'step' out of.​​

• chaosdrgnz43chaosdrgnz43 Posts: 1,674 Arc User

There are some melee powers that have half the range of a lunge. Strangely, it never seems to hit the target/s even when your toon is doing the animation. (E.g. Eruption, Shred, Arc of Ruin)

not sure if its a bug.
    mfZ37eB.png
    Feel free to visit my websites!^^:
    DeviantART|FurAffinity|
    Twitter
  • avianosavianos Posts: 6,028 Arc User
    dakrushmor wrote: »

That your reasoning about Damage <=> Energy relations would make point in one case - if all other Frameworks had same way to convert excessive energy to damage, as PA has. Example: let's take Sorcery Ultimate attack - Crashing Incantation & remove its Cooldown completely (= 0 sec). Allowing players to spam it all day, but since its energy cost they'll be need CoAP/AoPM with it, but (probably) could hit 10K full AoE DPS.
    And total resistance debuffs from Overpower + Hex of Suffering (-38% total) this way would be comparable with PA debuffs -34.5% per player. And Sorcery would be balanced with PA this way, since both deal 10K+. If you don't score more points on your PA toon, than any other kind of toons, and don't feel that PA is obviously OP, that means you built your PA guy wrong.
    Letz consider another obviously OP power - Dragon Claws. This has nothing with energy hunger - oppositely, it provides Energy over Time on its own, yet deals way more than other Melee powers, that don't have such energy regenerating feature. These OP powers are result of inability of proper power balancing, and lack of knowledge of the most basic laws of arithmetic; there's no way to compete best built Archery setup and worst built PA setup, last one will win anyway. And this stuff in totally unacceptable in a game, based on customization, when some themes will stay behind the others, no matter how player built them, thus forcing them to play another themes in order to beat stuff like DPS checks & Eidolon's spheres.

What the hell are you even talking about?​​
    POWERFRAME REVAMPS, NEW POWERS and BUG FIXES > Recycled Content and Events and even costumes at this point Introvert guy who use CO to make his characters playable and get experimental with Viable FF Theme builds! Running out of Unique FF builds due to the lack of updates and synergiesPlaying since 1 February 2011 98+ Characters (7 ATs, 91 FFs) ALTitis for Life!
  • guyhumualguyhumual Posts: 2,391 Arc User
    What might be nice is if they reduced some of the bullshit that goes with trying to be a melee character.
    1. Knocks: if half the fight is running back to the fight then that's a problem, it's a far worse problem for melee because they actually have to close the gap to get back into combat range. Only bosses should have knocks. Ranged knocks strength should be vastly reduced.
    2. The AI seems to be programed that if they're fighting a melee character they automatically step back. CO has the follow button unassigned by default. Those two facts don't mesh well together. Maybe allow us to save our key binds to load for other characters or just automatically follow whoever your energy builder is targeting.
    3. Speed up melee attacks. Sure, the high damaging attacks should only be used once you get stun lock, but mid tier powers like uppercut and room sweeper should get max charge maybe 10% or 20% faster as ranged characters can always kite to avoid a full power attack. Increasing the attack speed would let you get more out of a tap.
    4. Maybe give us the option of the kinds of knocks we want? Give us 0 cost knock up or knock down options on powers like room sweeper and hay maker. If chasing down opponents after been knocked is a problem, knocking them yourself is a problem for you and all the other melee characters on the team.
    Yes the AI is weird, I also noticed that to stop ranged mobs attacking, you need to get them in melee.... Which works,right up until someone decides to help and scatters them , allowing them free shots at you from range.

you missed ;

5.Lunges- where you go to lunge and the Mob moves and you stay in mid lunge, then go back.
    or they die and same
    or they move slightly out of range and bounce off them and back. dealing no damage.
    or a slight lag and you lunge in place.​​

I mentioned the low G issue, but I've also seen cases of doing a lunge and hitting something. Like a random tree or those railings in GRAB.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • decorumfriendsdecorumfriends Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    edited November 2016
    guyhumual said:

The AI seems to be programed that if they're fighting a melee character they automatically step back. CO has the follow button unassigned by default. Those two facts don't mesh well together. Maybe allow us to save our key binds to load for other characters or just automatically follow whoever your energy builder is targeting.

They do allow you to save your key binds, just as part of the saved UI. Just program a "follow" key and add it to your saved "default". Voila, now every character you make will have it (after you load the saved UI, of course). Heck, I sometimes find it useful on ranged characters for when my target gets pulled out of range.

'Dec out

QDSxNpT.png
    edited November 2016

guyhumual said:

The AI seems to be programed that if they're fighting a melee character they automatically step back. CO has the follow button unassigned by default. Those two facts don't mesh well together. Maybe allow us to save our key binds to load for other characters or just automatically follow whoever your energy builder is targeting.

They do allow you to save your key binds, just as part of the saved UI. Just program a "follow" key and add it to your saved "default". Voila, now every character you make will have it (after you load the saved UI, of course). Heck, I sometimes find it useful on ranged characters for when my target gets pulled out of range.
    Actually there are specific console commands for saving and loading key binds. Somebody in Cosmic HQ was talking about it yesterday so I copied the data from the Ghost wiki to the new wiki.
    http://www.championswiki.com/index.php?title=Console_Commands
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
    Cool, so covered two different ways.
    'Dec out

QDSxNpT.png

guyhumual said:

What tab is that under because when I change my key binds under Options it only changes those settings for that particular character.
    chaelk said:

Yes the AI is weird, I also noticed that to stop ranged mobs attacking, you need to get them in melee.... Which works,right up until someone decides to help and scatters them , allowing them free shots at you from range.

you missed ;

5.Lunges- where you go to lunge and the Mob moves and you stay in mid lunge, then go back.

or they die and same

or they move slightly out of range and bounce off them and back. dealing no damage.

or a slight lag and you lunge in place.​​

Yes, or when you put the points into Nailed to the Ground for your lunge, hit them with a lunge, and they still walk a few feet back before being stuck, that's another pet peeve. Thank you for reminding me.
    guyhumual said:

guyhumual said:

What tab is that under because when I change my key binds under Options it only changes those settings for that particular character.
    Or you could do this: http://www.championswiki.com/index.php?title=Console_Commands
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • revanantmoriturirevanantmorituri Posts: 391 Arc User
    The AI seems to be programed that if they're fighting a melee character they automatically step back. CO has the follow button unassigned by default. Those two facts don't mesh well together. Maybe allow us to save our key binds to load for other characters or just automatically follow whoever your energy builder is targeting.They do allow you to save your key binds, just as part of the saved UI. Just program a "follow" key and add it to your saved "default". Voila, now every character you make will have it (after you load the saved UI, of course). Heck, I sometimes find it useful on ranged characters for when my target gets pulled out of range.What tab is that under because when I change my key binds under Options it only changes those settings for that particular character.Or you could do this: http://www.championswiki.com/index.php?title=Console_Commands

In guyhumual's defense, the Console Commands are badly, and possibly not at all, documented in game or through the official Cryptic resources. And honestly, many of them do not operate in anything resembling an intuitive fashion.

And no, the /cmdlist command does not qualify as in-game documentation. That is like expecting a day one UNIX user to know to use the MAN command without ever hearing about it.​​
    -
    Formerly @Seschat pre PWEmerger. @Seschat on the Titan boards.

Supporter of the Titan Project.
    Right but they all learn to use Man. :p
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
    edited November 2016
    guyhumual said:

I'm not talking about changing existing characters, I'm talking about setting it up so all your new characters have it. You do have a saved UI you use on all your new characters, don't you?

If not, make a new character (or when you do), go in and set up all your binds that you'd want your new characters to have. Then go to...I think it's HUD, the last tab (at work I can't pull it up to look EDIT: Checked. HUD it is.). At the bottom, SAVE UI. Then whenever you make a new character, hit LOAD UI and everything will be loaded up, including the binds that were there when you saved (includes things like window placement and control settings).

EDIT: Just to note, you CAN use this on existing characters, too, but you will wipe out any binds you have previously made on that character. So if you WANT it returned to this "personal default" state, it works great.

Post edited by decorumfriends on
    'Dec out

QDSxNpT.png

guyhumual said:

I'm not talking about changing existing characters, I'm talking about setting it up so all your new characters have it. You do have a saved UI you use on all your new characters, don't you?

If not, make a new character (or when you do), go in and set up all your binds that you'd want your new characters to have. Then go to...I think it's HUD, the last tab (at work I can't pull it up to look EDIT: Checked. HUD it is.). At the bottom, SAVE UI. Then whenever you make a new character, hit LOAD UI and everything will be loaded up, including the binds that were there when you saved (includes things like window placement and control settings).

EDIT: Just to note, you CAN use this on existing characters, too, but you will wipe out any binds you have previously made on that character. So if you WANT it returned to this "personal default" state, it works great.

Thanks! This is something I didn't know and I had to set up my key binds for each character individually, and when Cryptic decided to change the default key binds it reset whatever I'd changed.

guyhumual said:

guyhumual said:

Or you could do this: http://www.championswiki.com/index.php?title=Console_Commands
    Quick question, does the game remember these binds? Do I have to set them up individually every time I load the game?
  • pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    guyhumual said:

guyhumual said:

guyhumual said:

Quick question, does the game remember these binds? Do I have to set them up individually every time I load the game?
    Binds are remembered by the game per character; you will need to set them (or load them) for new characters.
    guyhumual said:

Thanks! This is something I didn't know and I had to set up my key binds for each character individually, and when Cryptic decided to change the default key binds it reset whatever I'd changed.

Wow, glad to help. And you've probably got way more characters than me (I know you have like double the 40s). That must've been a nightmare every time.

'Dec out

QDSxNpT.png
    also you can specify filenames when you use save/load console commands. So you can have a save file for Kigatilik, and another for Teleiosaurus.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • sigmaseven0sigmaseven0 Posts: 714 Arc User
    This is one of my old pet issues.

1. Adding a lunge to melee powers would be nice imo. This would mitigate the dps loss of traveling between targets and open up build space for builds that otherwise require a lunge.
    2. letting us charge melee powers outside of melee range was floated during one of the last melee reviews. Ame wasn't against it but never got around to it.
    3. Letting melee role give a charge time reduction buff melee powers would be interesting.
    4. CC resistance in melee role.
    5. Bring back the old evasive maneuvers power (the one that goes forward and backward).

Ideally, I think the solution should help both pvp and pve.

PVP is starving without rewards

1. Please give us Daily PVP missions that reward Questionite.
    2. Please give us an exchange rate between Acclaim and Recognition so that PVP has access to all "On Alert" PVE rewards.

guyhumual said:

Wow, glad to help. And you've probably got way more characters than me (I know you have like double the 40s). That must've been a nightmare every time.

I currently have 99 level 40s

Amazingly I don't have a werewolf character: if you got nemesis problems I feel bad for you son, but I got 99 heroes but a **** ain't one.

Technically I have more then 99 heroes, I have like 32 leveling charactersas well, but those other two facts are correct. Sorry about the joke, terrible I know, but how often does someone get to tell it?

Having some way of maintaining set ups I liked amongst that many toons was really a bother, but now that I know how to export my key binds it'll make life easier. I'm now curious if those commands MarkHawkman links can be save and then loaded as well. It's a bother having to load my key binds per character, but so long as the game remembers those settings it's a lot less work then having to manually put them in every toon.
    guyhumual said:

Amazingly I don't have a werewolf character: if you got nemesis problems I feel bad for you son, but I got 99 heroes but a **** ain't one.

Technically I have more then 99 heroes, I have like 32 leveling charactersas well, but those other two facts are correct. Sorry about the joke, terrible I know, but how often does someone get to tell it?

You must have never seen the plethora of awful jokes I've told. Yours is actually quite clever and made me laugh. :D

'Dec out

QDSxNpT.png
    edited November 2016
    incidentally, that button is probably calling ui_save_file. You can also use bind_save_file to only save binds; ui_save_file also saves screen layout, channel colors, and the like.
    guyhumual said:

guyhumual said:

Having some way of maintaining set ups I liked amongst that many toons was really a bother, but now that I know how to export my key binds it'll make life easier. I'm now curious if those commands MarkHawkman links can be save and then loaded as well. It's a bother having to load my key binds per character, but so long as the game remembers those settings it's a lot less work then having to manually put them in every toon.
    I used bind save/load successfully in STO when setting up a joystick to play the game..... hmmm.... Joystick might make vehicles easier.....
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited November 2016
    Buff man with Kung Fu skills vs Dude with guns. Dude with guns wins.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anEuw8F8cpE
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    edited November 2016

2. letting us charge melee powers outside of melee range was floated during one of the last melee reviews. Ame wasn't against it but never got around to it.

At least we have some melee attacks that do that now. Or rather, we have more that do it now... we technically had melee attacks that do this for a very long time.
    spinnytop said:

At least we have some melee attacks that do that now.
    We do? Other than no-target PBAoEs?
  • biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Arc User
    Kinda, maybe, with the Melee Can Ignore Range option on? Still has to be someone close enough for you to start charging, though.
    biffsig.jpg

Kinda, maybe, with the Melee Can Ignore Range option on?

Ah, it can have a different target at start of charging than at end of charging. Nifty. I wonder if you can manually change targets or if you're locked in (I think you're locked in, but I never tried).