test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

How to Improve Champions Online

As a comic book and MMO fan for many years I’ve always gravitated towards super hero MMORPGs. I’ve played City of Heroes (hands down, my favorite) DC Universe Online and now Champions Online. Unfortunately CoH is no longer in the picture, I found myself seeing more potential in Champions Online then the gear grinding DC Universe. That said, I feel like CO tends to get prematurely stagnant and I’ve been wondering why. It has way more in common with City of Heroes then DCUO. I think, in my own perspective, why this is the case. Here are a few ideas I feel may improve the City of Heroes experience.

Tone Down the Magic Storyline
Sure magic and mysticism runs rampant in comics but I feel like the story seems to go that route at any given chance. Give us a traditional Jack Kirby/Stanley Ditko golden age comic storyline.

More Token Villains
The one thing this game surprisingly lacks is the variety of super villains. We need more evil masterminds with actual super powers (no magic). Give them the sole purpose of destroying the city. Give them ridiculous comic villainesque costumes. Hell, have a contest with the community and have us design new villains if you’re fresh out of ideas. Why not have random Nemesis arch villains spontaneously pop up with henchmen in the city for all to encounter rather than just seeing them in Alerts or solo missions. Onslaught, although a ambitious idea, just isn't cutting it.

Open World B Villains
Have random B villains pop up around the city committing petty crimes such as robbing a bank, jewelry store, an old lady’s purse. Anything. Give us superheroes a purpose to leave the main hub.

Better Perm Sidekicks
C’mon, this is a given. I love the idea of summoning a sidekick but a humanoid dragon? Where are all the traditional comic book style perm sidekicks? Why not give us the ability to customize our sidekicks with mods, gear and costume. Or how about we get more superhero-ish versions to go with our personal theme.

Invasions
The one thing I fondly remember from City of Heroes was minding my own business, tweaking my stats when suddenly a siren would go off. Aliens would descend from the sky and all hell would break loose. This was an “all hands on deck” excitement we need in this game. Aliens, Mole People, Atlantians, ANYONE. Give us invasions.

These are just a few suggestions that wouldn’t require an overhaul of the game. What do you think?

Comments

• Options
    rtmartma Posts: 1,198 Arc User
    edited June 2016

but a humanoid dragon?

The game uses rather cliche references and many games that force you to play Human styled species but Champions Online, the character creator allows flexibility to your appearance, including Anthro Dragons (Like myself) so please don't discriminate, some of us enjoy having a Humanoid Dragon as a Sidekick, for whatever reasons.

Want to get to know me a bit better, Click me and take a read of My Dragon Profile Page, it's a bit dated but still relevant.

I take this quote from a review that I agree with.

"customisation is so linear; everyone is after the optimal dps:survivability ratio with 0 reliance on other players = autonomous gameplay... Players don't need each other anymore... which in my opinion is a bad thing."
  • Options
    thrdstooge#4273 thrdstooge Posts: 20 Arc User
    rtma said:

but a humanoid dragon?

The game uses rather cliche references and many games that force you to play Human styled species but Champions Online, the character creator allows flexibility to your appearance, including Anthro Dragons (Like myself) so please don't discriminate, some of us enjoy having a Humanoid Dragon as a Sidekick, for whatever reasons.

Which is fine but what about us players who like to play as the old school traditional comic superhero? Sure you have your dragon but what about us having a Boy Wonder? The only sidekicks that resemble that these are temps.
  • Options
    tongi02tongi02 Posts: 21 Arc User
    Ok, how about a nucleus to go with our ghost body and head costume since it resembles water. And another chance to get those ghostly hands and feet would be mighty appreciated.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Always move forward, even if it's one step at a time..
  • Options
    kallethenkallethen Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    We've had plenty of non-mystical stuff. Recently? Telios (OVs and new Epic Lair). It's always been a mix, and I hope that mix continues. I certainly would love to see more super-powered shenanigans, but I wouldn't say magic is rampant.

I agree that we need another big plot from a really big supervillain. Honestly, I'd LOVE to see something fresh from Dr. Destroyer. Community contest villains wouldn't be bad either.​​
    100% of the world is crazy, 95% are in denial.

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    grimvanegrimvane Posts: 49 Arc User

Better Perm Sidekicks
    C’mon, this is a given. I love the idea of summoning a sidekick but a humanoid dragon? Where are all the traditional comic book style perm sidekicks? Why not give us the ability to customize our sidekicks with mods, gear and costume. Or how about we get more superhero-ish versions to go with our personal theme.

I always liked that mission where you team up with Blue Jay in Millenium City. I was disappointed when I saw that she joined up with GRAB. I don't know much about CO lore. Could any of the ladies from GRAB be (maybe even Suicide Squad or :"reformed villain" style) permanent sidekicks?

I also think it would be neat if we got a temporary 1 hour Powerhouse Trainer sidekick upon graduation from Ravenswood Academy, with a permanent version also in the store.

• Options
    raighnraighn Posts: 2,339 Arc User
    We should totally get an option to create a customized permanant sidekick upon reaching level 40... Even if their powers are is restricted to a selection of prebuilt generic power sets (like the nemesis system).
    ^-^ cute, cuddly, @Pandabutt ^-^
    jniKqKJ.png
  • Options
    soulforgersoulforger Posts: 1,649 Arc User

Sure magic and mysticism runs rampant in comics but I feel like the story seems to go that route at any given chance. Give us a traditional Jack Kirby/Stanley Ditko golden age comic storyline.

To be fair, if you played the entire game, there are more tech bases stories than magic based stories.

More Token Villains
    The one thing this game surprisingly lacks is the variety of super villains. We need more evil masterminds with actual super powers (no magic). Give them the sole purpose of destroying the city. Give them ridiculous comic villainesque costumes. Hell, have a contest with the community and have us design new villains if you’re fresh out of ideas. Why not have random Nemesis arch villains spontaneously pop up with henchmen in the city for all to encounter rather than just seeing them in Alerts or solo missions. Onslaught, although a ambitious idea, just isn't cutting it.

Well, that would be cool and all, but, till CO gets more money in its bank, stuff like that will not happen.

Open World B Villains
    Have random B villains pop up around the city committing petty crimes such as robbing a bank, jewelry store, an old lady’s purse. Anything. Give us superheroes a purpose to leave the main hub.

Thats what cosmics are for. But, yeah, we could use more stuff to do. Do you know about unity missions?

Better Perm Sidekicks

Ever since the stoneage of this game people have asked for perma sidekicks. Perma sidekicks are a new thing, so give them time.

Invasions
    The one thing I fondly remember from City of Heroes was minding my own business, tweaking my stats when suddenly a siren would go off. Aliens would descend from the sky and all hell would break loose. This was an “all hands on deck” excitement we need in this game. Aliens, Mole People, Atlantians, ANYONE. Give us invasions.

Thats what the current event is supposed to be, but yeah, we could use those to.

• Options
    championshewolfchampionshewolf Posts: 4,375 Arc User
    grimvane wrote: »

I always liked that mission where you team up with Blue Jay in Millenium City. I was disappointed when I saw that she joined up with GRAB. I don't know much about CO lore.

Blue Jay has always been a member of GRAB. In fact the reason you do that mission is you basically catch her in the act of robbing a place. So, her being your sidekick is unlikely, since well, she isn't a sidekick. At best a team up and only rarely when your interests combine.​​
    Champions Online player since September of 2008, forumite since February of 2008.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
  • Options
    squirrelloidsquirrelloid Posts: 869 Arc User
    edited June 2016

To be fair, if you played the entire game, there are more tech bases stories than magic based stories

But to be really fair, all the *big* stories are magic.
    -Shadow Destroyer arc (including Resistance and Nemcon, but also other bits sprinkled throughout the 27-40 quest line)
    -Kings of Edom (Demonflame / Aftershock / Nightmare Invasion arc)
    -Lemurian Arcs (Bleak ones and the excavation on MI are all pretty much magic-driven)
    -Vibora Bay

The last major 'tech' related storyline is Viper from 30-35 and their Moreau teamup. Neither the Argent hunting lodge nor the Viper Omicron tech stories really get enough development to be major stories (nor do they deserve to be, and that ends by 38 and is followed by a similarly developed magic story with the Elder worms and Slug. Both are pretty much contemporaneous with the clearly magical end-Canada arc with corrupted bigfoots and demons, and Moreau is preceded by Neruul).

Serpent Lantern is kind of a joke of an adventure pack with little narrative, and the narrative that it does have is also magic (Viperia).

Whiteout was a promising start for an extraterrestrial storyarc, which then got dropped and has never been developed. It's not the only extraterrestrial hook in the game either. The Qularr sidestory in MI could have hooked into something bigger, as could the Gadroon storyline in Canada.

So the 35-40 and endgame is dominated exclusively by magic. There's a little bit of tech, but not that much. And traditional comicbook villainy is pretty much non-existent from 30 on. Heck, we don't see any human organizations except Viper or Argent after 30 that aren't completely steeped in magic. (To the degree you can call Vibora Bay gangs human organizations).

Probably also worth noting that Dr. Destroyer only really shows up as a victim you save from Shadow Destroyer. He doesn't even have a real story arc of his own, or any real presence at all (unless you want to count Sky Command).
  • Options
    roughbearmattachroughbearmattach Posts: 4,784 Arc User
    You forgot Mechanon. He has some references sprinkled throughout the game, plus the short set of missions culminating in fighting him on the space station. He shows up for his annual event, too.

You also forgot the Cybermind storyline. It is only three missions long, but it's done well, and many folks do the special Alert connected to it.

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.
  • Options

Thats what cosmics are for. But, yeah, we could use more stuff to do. Do you know about unity missions?

Definitely, but those are sort of like Nick Fury S.H.I.E.L.D. missions where the hero or team travels abroad. I'm more thinking of a local threat. Imagine if you were on a flyby and you hear an alarm from a bank go off and a B-level villain storms out with a group of henchmen. Or what if you were running around the city, minding your own business when suddenly the ground shakes, a tunneler bursts from the ground and a bunch of mole people come flooding out terrorizing the civilians. Of course it doesn't have to be exactly like those examples but you get where I'm coming from. That'll be loads of fun. Most players would head out of the main hub just to patrol the city like actual heroes. It's totally doable. At the moment the city is riddled with portals (magic theme *sigh). Just tweak the design of the mobs.
  • Options
    edited June 2016

You forgot Mechanon. He has some references sprinkled throughout the game, plus the short set of missions culminating in fighting him on the space station. He shows up for his annual event, too.

You also forgot the Cybermind storyline. It is only three missions long, but it's done well, and many folks do the special Alert connected to it.

Neither of which has enough late game content to be a major arc. (Mechanon doesn't get to count the desert stuff, that happens at like 17th-20th). I mean, I also left out Takofanes on the magic side for a similar reason.
  • Options
    xrazamaxxrazamax Posts: 979 Arc User

Which is fine but what about us players who like to play as the old school traditional comic superhero? Sure you have your dragon but what about us having a Boy Wonder? The only sidekicks that resemble that these are temps.

Windchill is a more traditional superhero. I'm sure they'll swing back around the block as far as tropes are concerned.

• Options

Neither of which has enough late game content to be a major arc. (Mechanon doesn't get to count the desert stuff, that happens at like 17th-20th). I mean, I also left out Takofanes on the magic side for a similar reason.

Regardless there's not enough real deal supervillain action. There's not enough campy villains with powers. This is the tone I'd like to see.

• Options
    c0wb0y33c0wb0y33 Posts: 22 Arc User
    Here's another suggestion; not all heroes are the same, stop making us weak, give us a break! We don't like easy, but we don't like being creamed by every supervillain out there. Also, how is Devana Hawk so powerful, she can take on the most powerful heroes? She's a "street level" villain, not "Super Archer Girl" all things in perspective ok?
  • Options
    c0wb0y33 said:

Here's another suggestion; not all heroes are the same, stop making us weak, give us a break! We don't like easy, but we don't like being creamed by every supervillain out there. Also, how is Devana Hawk so powerful, she can take on the most powerful heroes? She's a "street level" villain, not "Super Archer Girl" all things in perspective ok?

That would involve making solo content, which is badwrongfun, kay? /sarcasm
  • Options
    c0wb0y33 said:

I definitely agree. I hate to bring this up but DCUO did this very well. Spread through out the entire city are iconic B-level villains. Granted they're tough BUT if you're geared properly you can definitely solo them. Hell, I have. Maybe spread these guys through out the entire city for achievements or some sort of MCPD bounty reward. If you're level 40, and geared up you can solo. If you're grouped with a friend you still have a chance to take them down. Just give us something. Give us a reason to patrol this large city that is widely unused. This game has the mechanics and potential to wipe the mat with DCUO when it comes to creative content.

*sigh,...I wonder if the devs even read this stuff...
  • Options
    nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User

Not trying to be mean but I really hate when people say this I wish they would do a quick google search to understand why magic is so important in Champions.

Most Super Humans in The Champions PNP are a result of the magic gene so magic will always be a major part of Champions Online and that is not going to change anytime soon.
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • Options
    nepht said:

Not trying to be mean but I really hate when people say this I wish they would do a quick google search to understand why magic is so important in Champions.

Most Super Humans in The Champions PNP are a result of the magic gene so magic will always be a major part of Champions Online and that is not going to change anytime soon.
    I think we all understand that. Magic does play a major role in this storyline but at the end of the day we're talking about a superhero genre MMORPG. We have plenty of magic and mysticism in every other MMO (e.g. WoW, LOTRO, FFXIV, EQ, etc etc). I would imagine that most, not all, are on this game either as a break from the typical fantasy MMOs or just simply because we're fan of comics and enjoy that type of lore. Magic in this game is just a different explanation how these heroes got their powers. Marvel has mutation and science, DC comics has metahumans and aliens.

Keep in mind, the Role Playing Game from which this game comes from was created as an alternative to market filled with dungeon crawlers.
  • Options
    nepht said:

Not trying to be mean but I really hate when people say this...
    FYI: If you frequently come across this same user suggestion then maybe that's saying something...

• Options
    xacchaeusxacchaeus Posts: 308 Arc User
    its saying they dont know or care about the source material
  • Options
    xacchaeus said:

its saying they dont know or care about the source material

I wouldn't go that far. I doubt anyone is saying "Remove all things magic" in this game. I can only speak for myself and my suggestion would be to tone down the magic a bit when it comes to new content. Maybe introduce more comic trope type of villains in future stories or events sort of like the XP Alerts. Not kill the source material. Maybe balance it out.

For example, we currently have the Nightmare event going. It's yet another magic theme. I'm more than certain the next event like this will be magic as well. Being this is a comic book inspired MMO why not have an event where B villains are stealing components through out the city in order to make a super weapon and you have to stop them.

Here's how that could be done. Simply re-skin those nightmare mobs with one main villain and a bunch of their henchmen.
  • Options
    B-Level Villains:

Champions has a few of these in game already, by the way.

West Side: open world has minibosses for Maniacs and Cobra Lords (bikers), plus Iron and Gold from the Red Banner

City Center: Viper X

Downtown: Mega Destroid

Desert: Escaped supervillain prisoners (named unique ones)--there are five or six of these, that you must search for; you even get a perk for finding them all (not required for a mission)
    Diamondback (snake humanoid villain)
    Hanging Judge (ghost town)
    Lairs: prison (Menton)

Canada: Riktus (undead, open-world)
    Lairs: Necrul, Teleios, Mechaniste

Monster Island: Zarn (in the Lava Temple)
    Lairs: Vikorin, manimals/moreau, Viper, elder worms temple

Lemuria: ghost pirates, robo pirates (open missions)
    Lairs: Mandragalore

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.
  • Options

B-Level Villains:

Champions has a few of these in game already, by the way.

West Side: open world has minibosses for Maniacs and Cobra Lords (bikers), plus Iron and Gold from the Red Banner

City Center: Viper X

Downtown: Mega Destroid

Desert: Escaped supervillain prisoners (named unique ones)--there are five or six of these, that you must search for; you even get a perk for finding them all (not required for a mission)
    Diamondback (snake humanoid villain)
    Hanging Judge (ghost town)
    Lairs: prison (Menton)

Canada: Riktus (undead, open-world)
    Lairs: Necrul, Teleios, Mechaniste

Monster Island: Zarn (in the Lava Temple)
    Lairs: Vikorin, manimals/moreau, Viper, elder worms temple

Lemuria: ghost pirates, robo pirates (open missions)
    Lairs: Mandragalore

I've encountered most of these but I swore they were attached to missions. Sure you could attack them but if you don't have the mission and already have the achievement, whats the point. Viper X is sort of an example of what I'd like to see but a little more simplified (Not a fan of that metal detector task). Something way smaller like stumbling on petty crimes. Maybe a series of robberies that spontaneously spawns in specific zones through out the city. Most of these people you've listed are just pacing back and forth in the same spot. You're basically beating them up for loitering.
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Posts: 1,569 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    well, most cities DO have a 'No Loitering' rule...​​
    #LegalizeAwoo
  • Options

well, most cities DO have a 'No Loitering' rule...​​

And most cities don't have superheroes
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Millennium City does have a bank robbery mission or two, by the way, that pop up from time to time--they are not part of any story arc.

Still, the main use of B villains in Champs is for Nemesis missions and UNITY missions. If you don't run these missions, you won't see these villains, and there are a couple dozen of them, at least.

Oh, I forgot the Crocodile Rock open mission in Vibora Bay, as well as Supernatural Potporri (which brings out Bloodhound).

I can imagine a system where the B villains are randomly spawned in various zones, and then proceed to find NPCs to attack or objects/property to destroy. They wouldn't have to be on long timers, nor would they have to grant any special rewards (aside from perks for defeating them). Would add some spice to the game.

• Options

Millennium City does have a bank robbery mission or two, by the way, that pop up from time to time--they are not part of any story arc.

Still, the main use of B villains in Champs is for Nemesis missions and UNITY missions. If you don't run these missions, you won't see these villains, and there are a couple dozen of them, at least.

Oh, I forgot the Crocodile Rock open mission in Vibora Bay, as well as Supernatural Potporri (which brings out Bloodhound).

I can imagine a system where the B villains are randomly spawned in various zones, and then proceed to find NPCs to attack or objects/property to destroy. They wouldn't have to be on long timers, nor would they have to grant any special rewards (aside from perks for defeating them). Would add some spice to the game.

Don't get me wrong, I really like this game. Adding some spice to this game is never a bad thing. As for these bank robberies, are you talking about the XP Alerts? I've yet to stumble upon any other bank robberies besides those.
  • Options
    there's a mission that pops up on occasion at the bank near captain martin, where you go to create your nemesis; i stumble across it every so often when i'm in the vicinity of city hall for whatever reason​​
    #LegalizeAwoo
  • Options

UNITY doesn't really have that many B villains either. Mostly its missions against Viper, Worms, Lemurians, and (for UNITY 2) VB gangs. Most of these don't have a super villain at all.

Nemesis is awesome, but could use content updates badly, and more divergent plotlines for the different nemesis personalities. (And probably a magic/tech/crime choice with divergent plotlines - that your magic nemesis builds a deathray is pretty silly).

This would be amazing.
  • Options

Don't get me wrong, I really like this game. Adding some spice to this game is never a bad thing. As for these bank robberies, are you talking about the XP Alerts? I've yet to stumble upon any other bank robberies besides those.
    If you roam around City Center youll notice bank robberies spring up at the banks from time to time. Its been my experiance that the one used for the alerts (next to the museum) triggers the least often. Its usually the one on the southeastern side of City Center
    jniKqKJ.png
  • Options
    edited June 2016

I think we all understand that. Magic does play a major role in this storyline but at the end of the day we're talking about a superhero genre MMORPG. We have plenty of magic and mysticism in every other MMO (e.g. WoW, LOTRO, FFXIV, EQ, etc etc). I would imagine that most, not all, are on this game either as a break from the typical fantasy MMOs or just simply because we're fan of comics and enjoy that type of lore. Magic in this game is just a different explanation how these heroes got their powers. Marvel has mutation and science, DC comics has metahumans and aliens.

Keep in mind, the Role Playing Game from which this game comes from was created as an alternative to market filled with dungeon crawlers.

Your doing it again. Ignoring the IPs lore. Champions main source of super powers is the magic gene. Even the scientist types that make power armor their intelligence is majority of the time down to the magic gene. The world of Champions runs on magic.

Its not all magic though there are some foes and heroes that don't have the magic gene and there is plenty of content that reflects this. Whiteout is one example. Some more "non magic gene" content would be welcome as their are plenty of alien races that have not been fleshed out in this game yet.

Dont get me wrong I like a huge chunk of your ideas its just your really going to have to accept some serious spooky **** is going to happen in Millennium City often. Its what gives Champions its feel. Its a game of Super Heroes VS Wizards.
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    nepht said:

Your doing it again. Ignoring the IPs lore. Champions main source of super powers is the magic gene. Even the scientist types that make power armor their intelligence is majority of the time down to the magic gene. The world of Champions runs on magic.
    Nobody cares about the IP lore. Not even Cryptic, who changes lore on whatever whim moves them. Nor has that particular bit of lore ever even shown up in game.

Most people's reference for the superhero genre includes substantial non-magical elements, including sci fi tech and genetics explanations that, while effectively magic (in that they don't correspond to anything we know about real science), are presented as grounded in non-magic science.

And since there's like 20 people in teh world who know anything about Champions lore, the game has to appeal to people who don't know and frankly don't care - they want a world that's close enough to Marvel or DCs that the familiar (to them) explanations make sense. And since that's who most of your players are going to be, that's who you need to appeal to.

And even if Cryptic does maintain the magic gene lore, there's a difference between overt obviously magical and 'could be imagined to not involve magic, even if it actually does'. No one would actually care if all viper's tech suddenly ran on etherium produced from the tears of orphan child mages - it still looks like tech and creates tech-like storylines as long as said orphan child mages don't come up. (Although I'm also sick to death of viper storylines).
  • Options

Nobody cares about the IP lore. Not even Cryptic, who changes lore on whatever whim moves them. Nor has that particular bit of lore ever even shown up in game.

Most people's reference for the superhero genre includes substantial non-magical elements, including sci fi tech and genetics explanations that, while effectively magic (in that they don't correspond to anything we know about real science), are presented as grounded in non-magic science.

And since there's like 20 people in teh world who know anything about Champions lore, the game has to appeal to people who don't know and frankly don't care - they want a world that's close enough to Marvel or DCs that the familiar (to them) explanations make sense. And since that's who most of your players are going to be, that's who you need to appeal to.

And even if Cryptic does maintain the magic gene lore, there's a difference between overt obviously magical and 'could be imagined to not involve magic, even if it actually does'. No one would actually care if all viper's tech suddenly ran on etherium produced from the tears of orphan child mages - it still looks like tech and creates tech-like storylines as long as said orphan child mages don't come up. (Although I'm also sick to death of viper storylines).

If Cryptic didnt care about the lore Champions would be a carbon copy of Marvel or DC. The fact that they have the 50/50 mix of fantasy and 4 color in the game shows they actually pay attention to the PnP.

Cryptic was also inspired to make City of Heroes due to the Champions PnP...oh and would you look at that a big chunk of that games plot also centered around magic.
  • Options
    nepht said:

If Cryptic didnt care about the lore Champions would be a carbon copy of Marvel or DC. The fact that they have the 50/50 mix of fantasy and 4 color in the game shows they actually pay attention to the PnP.

Cryptic was also inspired to make City of Heroes due to the Champions PnP...oh and would you look at that a big chunk of that games plot also centered around magic.
    I couldn't agree more with squirrelloid. You need to appeal to the masses and I believe this is what's holding Champions Online back. I can bet you most people on this game are playing this due to the superhero theme, NOT because of fond memories playing the Champions RPG. If I want magic I can jump on one of many MMORPGs out there that frankly have those mechanics much more fleshed out. I'm on this game because I love superhero lore, I love the customization and I feel this game has huge potential. Again, "magic" is just a different road Champions took to explain how people developed super powers, nothing more. I don't really care about the Champions "magical" lore to be honest.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    nepht said:

Eh, i don't think this is evidence for what you think it's evidence for. It's more evidence for 'these are the kinds of stories which can involve endless numbers of nameless mooks so we can default to standard MMO mission design'. Which is why it's no surprise our endgame stuff is primarily magic-infused gangs, Viper, Lemurians, Worms, and Qlippothic entities. (And to a lesser degree, Argent).

Magic-themed enemies are easy. For every characterful wizard-like character, there are endless hordes of acceptable targets you can kill. It's why most of the non-magic themed enemies are either paramilitary organizations like Viper or alien species like the Qularr - endless mooks are endless. (The aliens never even get a proper named supervillain anywhere, unless you really want to count Ludwig, who only has an alias because he's a nameless alien who appears outside the presence of any other aliens).

Outside the nemesis system, there's very little four-color material. Especially late game. Calling it a 50-50 split is kind of laughable. And on my hypothesis (it's all about allowing standard MMO mission design) this makes sense - four color content is harder. Because Jack Kirby designed dozens of new character looks *every month* for 9 years to give Marvel a decent cast of villains, and even then we had things like early X-Men which defaulted to Magneto stories in something like 50% of the issues Kirby drew. Unlike early Marvel, Cryptic was *never* willing to put that kind of effort in, nor have they shown any inclination to use player nemeses even though it's basically free content that the ToS says they own.
  • Options
    Two block heads that want to change the game's lore to fit their own selfish selves. This is a game based on the pnp game, and as such should share the lore with the pnp game. It already appeals to the masses that do not care about the lore. But other things are holding the game back in attracting people, not "OMG ITS FULL OF MAGIC!".
  • Options

Two block heads that want to change the game's lore to fit their own selfish selves. This is a game based on the pnp game, and as such should share the lore with the pnp game. It already appeals to the masses that do not care about the lore. But other things are holding the game back in attracting people, not "OMG ITS FULL OF MAGIC!".

No one is saying remove the magic or change the lore. My initial suggestion was to tone down the magic storyline and add more of a trope supervillain threat element. According to both YOU and nepht that would kill the CO pnp lore. According to you "It already appeals to the masses that do not care about the lore", so if this is the case, what's the problem with adding more trope comic content?

Same could be said about you two "block heads" incapable of seeing changes despite the possible positive outcome just for your own selfish selves. Once a new Superhero inspired MMORPG surfaces that appeals more towards the comic fans, you two can quietly chat amongst yourselves about your precious magic lore. Won't be hard to find each other being you'll be the only two on the server.
  • Options

No one is saying remove the magic or change the lore. My initial suggestion was to tone down the magic storyline and add more of a trope supervillain threat element. According to both YOU and nepht that would kill the CO pnp lore. According to you "It already appeals to the masses that do not care about the lore", so if this is the case, what's the problem with adding more trope comic content?

Same could be said about you two "block heads" incapable of seeing changes despite the possible positive outcome just for your own selfish selves. Once a new Superhero inspired MMORPG surfaces that appeals more towards the comic fans, you two can quietly chat amongst yourselves about your precious magic lore. Won't be hard to find each other being you'll be the only two on the server.

I've already said the game could use more stuff, but, this whole idea that magic needs to be toned down is not a good idea. You guys went on about mmo game featuring magic. Just one problem, how many of them are superhero games? Just one, this one, so its already there, no need to modify it in any way to add more stuff, they just need to add more stuff, that's it. No need to deviate from the pnp lore than already has happened.

Also, people said that DCUO would kill CO, it did not, so, regardless of if CoT (CIty of Titans) is any good, there will be a good number of people that will continue playing this game. And, its not about incapable of seeing changes that bring about positive stuff (which in reality, the shift away from the pnp lore would not, sorry to bust your bubble on this one, but it will not bring more people in), its about preventing the game from losing its lore and path.

But, we could always use more things to do, for thats the true number one killer (lack of content), so we could use more to do, just as long as it fits the lore. Be it magic or otherwise.
  • Options
    nbkxsnbkxs Posts: 770 Arc User
    Without magic? You wouldn't be about to throw fire, lightning, ice, or any of these such things, all of those are spells; and come from magic. You can't just do that without magic.​​
    [NbK]XStorm
  • Options
    nbkxs wrote: »
    Without magic? You wouldn't be about to throw fire, lightning, ice, or any of these such things, all of those are spells; and come from magic. You can't just do that without magic.

tell that to human torch, electro, and subzero...pretty sure none of them can use their elements as a result of magic​​
    #LegalizeAwoo
  • Options
    flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    But they don't exist in the Champions Universe.
    Missed the part how Champions Universe works?
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
  • Options
    if magic ceased to exist, there would still be fire, ice and lightning throwers - they'd just come about through mutation or science​​
    #LegalizeAwoo
  • Options
    edited June 2016

if magic ceased to exist, there would still be fire, ice and lightning throwers - they'd just come about through mutation or science​​

Not in the Champions Universe. In other universes that do not matter at all to this game, yes, in this game and its lore, no. Also, why did you bring a mortal combat character into the mix? Especially one whose very lore states that he used ice magic?
  • Options
    soulforger wrote: »
    Not in the Champions Universe. In other universes that do not matter at all to this game, yes, in this game and its lore, no.

guess again, idiot...there are ALREADY ingame examples of science-based elemental manipulation​​
    #LegalizeAwoo
  • Options

guess again, idiot...there are ALREADY ingame examples of science-based elemental manipulation​​

No need for name calling, and its you that needs to double check his info.
  • Options
    i'll call anyone who acts like one an idiot whenever i damn well please

and i don't need to check ANYTHING, because unlike YOU, i actually play the game and have seen ingame examples​​
    #LegalizeAwoo
  • Options

i'll call anyone who acts like one an idiot whenever i damn well please

and i don't need to check ANYTHING, because unlike YOU, i actually play the game and have seen ingame examples​​

I play the game all the time. Also, just so you know, player characters do not count as in-game examples. And no, you can't call people names, its against the forum rules. Do you want to be banned?
  • Options
    Just to settle this little spat of if there are or aren't pre-existing in-game/lore examples of NON-Magic based heroes with elemental/energy powers.... Yes, there are.

Sapphire:
    Her dormant mutant powers of energy manipulation suddenly manifested under the stress of the attack. Before she’d even had a chance to think, she’d blasted the bad guys into unconsciousness with flares of glowing blue energy.
    As expressly stated in her lore description, her powers are the result of a Genetic MUTATION. Sure she uses Force powers, but the fact that a mutant gene for "energy manipulation" exists, opens the door for possibilities of mutant genes for just about anything, including fire throwing.
    jniKqKJ.png
  • Options
    raighn said:

Just to settle this little spat of if there are or aren't pre-existing in-game/lore examples of NON-Magic based heroes with elemental/energy powers.... Yes, there are.

Sapphire:

Her dormant mutant powers of energy manipulation suddenly manifested under the stress of the attack. Before she’d even had a chance to think, she’d blasted the bad guys into unconsciousness with flares of glowing blue energy.
    As expressly stated in her lore description, her powers are the result of a Genetic MUTATION. Sure she uses Force powers, but the fact that a mutant gene for "energy manipulation" exists, opens the door for possibilities of mutant genes for just about anything, including fire throwing.

Well, I'm glad someone found that. Better than arguing. But, no where in comic book history does it state that such mutations are not magical. Nor does anything state that they are. So, mutations are iffy, especially in this game.