test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

The game is no fun anymore and starts to drive me away

By now i have to say i was able to life with the Lockboxes, the gambling and some Grinding in games overall, but the latest changes make me mad and sad all together, first the Onslaught Villains Stuff putting stuff behind a big Grindwall, then the Recognition stuff put behind a Grind wall now this Nightmare Invasion event grinding but ok.

What drives me crazy is, making the open world daylis 3 men misisons, the Elder Worms groups are ok and somewhat normal and can be beaten alone but what the hell is up with the Horrors beeign gorups of several Super and Master Villains, the problem i mainly have wtih this even if you team up you have problem finding those groups and if oyu do try geta team together before someone else kilsl them with his uberbuild.

The Collosus is ok, Open Mission like Takofanes or Clarence wehre oyu need alot of peopel anyway and ncie taht costumes form the store can drop form them aswell so safes some grinding.

But yeah my point with al lthis is that CO slwoly drives me away, i am not havign fun anymore wtih it becasue i not want to do the same stuff over and over for stuff oyu not even can get now in like 10 days each, i not even care for gear like the Heroic gear, but for the costuems but the prices are ridiclious by now consdiering also how less possibilitys we have to get recognitions anyway already. The new Teleios Tower for example, maybe bad luck but i never got a group for it or was able to get in queed.

But yeah the Grind is the most thing that annyos me, how much you have to do for jsut one costume piece, grind belongs in MMO's since hey started, but give us also Gameplay and Missions we want to repeat on our own and not feels forced to do and let it feel rewarding and not a waste of time especialy if you payed for the game and stuff like powers also are behind a Grindwall which by now is ridiclious.

CO for me was always about creating things, new costumes and builds that go with it, but if you take away my cosutmes and lock them behind those Grinding i start to lose interesst. Hell i was considering buyign soem Zen agian extra for once even but by now i see no point in wasting any more money or time in this game. I will stay around for sure but if it contineus like that, i won't pay a damn thing anymore to this and i am sure i am not the only one thinking like that, congrats to loosing customers PWE, because this are not updates in my eyes, this are puttign locks on everythign we might could enjoy. And yes tehy need to make money to keep the game running, but not like this.

Comments

• Options
    nacito#6758 nacito Posts: 975 Arc User
    ummmmm..... not all people dislike grinding
    Just another reptile lover, known in game as @nacito
    4hszgc1knoyo.png

This is a big journey, so far if you're reading this, wish you a good day
  • Options
    championshewolfchampionshewolf Posts: 4,375 Arc User
    Well dunno what to tell you. This is an MMO, that means grouping with people and a community. Having things to do is part and parcel to the game and experience. Sorry you want everything handed to you, but that's not how MMOs work.​​
    Champions Online player since September of 2008, forumite since February of 2008.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    ansemthedarkansemthedark Posts: 664 Arc User

Well dunno what to tell you. This is an MMO, that means grouping with people and a community. Having things to do is part and parcel to the game and experience. Sorry you want everything handed to you, but that's not how MMOs work.​​

I know that as mentioned but this amount is ridiclious considering not everyoen ahs tiome grinding countless hours each day, i am used to do daylis and such but if i see what points i get for a daily and what one single item costs this turns me away of it rather then wanting to get iti moslty refert to the recognition changes and the silver/gold recogs here, i alos understand teambased gameplay, yes this is a MMO but not if yo ueven can't do a fucking daily alone jsut becasue you happedn to have a bad luck not gettigna team bedasue they are full or alos seieng builds again doing it alone without others gettigna chance.
  • Options
    megaskullmonmegaskullmon Posts: 313 Arc User
    I am sorry to say but all mmo's have a grind. I have been playing them since everquest to that to this to wow for 11 years this for six. I am sorry to say but this is a good complaint of course. But one over done.
  • Options
    magpieuk2014magpieuk2014 Posts: 1,268 Arc User
    edited May 2016

As a wise man once said: Hell is other people. They are the boundary markers of your freedom, and see how they relish it. :)
  • Options
    aesicaaesica Posts: 2,537 Arc User

No, sorry.

While sure, teamwork is an important part of MMOs, the idea that everything worthwhile must be done in a group is an archaic concept that no modern mmo worth a damn subscribes to. The fact that the OP doesn't want to deal with grouping at every twist and turn is perfectly fine and in no way implies that he wants everything "handed to him." Maybe he just wants to log on and enjoy actually being a superhero who fights back the bad guys solo instead of just another party member in a mandatory Everquest group.

Tony Stark may be a part of the avengers, but he does plenty of solo ****-kicking as well.
    (Hopefully) Useful CO Resources: HeroCreator (character planner), Cosmic Timers/Alert Checklist, Blood Moon Map, Anniversary Cat Map, and more (eventually, anyway).
  • Options
    pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    In the end, MMOs have a limited rate at which they can put out content, and this rate is lower than the rate at which players can complete it. Thus, they introduce content with a goal of getting people to repeat it, and if you want to get everything, it will take a while. There is, however, always the option of not getting everything; I skipped a few things in the Malvan race, for example.
  • Options
    jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,431 Arc User
    I just skip the entire race thing. Are there any superheroes who engage each other in races? Probably the least comic book addition to the game.
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
  • Options
    riveroceanriverocean Posts: 1,690 Arc User
    edited May 2016

I just skip the entire race thing. Are there any superheroes who engage each other in races? Probably the least comic book addition to the game.

Uhmm besides the Flash and Superman? Racing is kind of a thing in the Flash comics. Any speedster really :smiley:

As far as the op goes:

But in general, the game is being updated to be teaming oriented. Everything, including getting tokens, goes faster in a team. I have my theories about why this is. But as I said last year, "If you don't like change, it's time to take a break from CO"

The game is changing and it's changing fast. If my guess is right, this game is going to be very different by the end of the year. Now might be good time for those who don't like change, to take minor vacation and come back when the dust settles.
    Questions About AT Play? Visit Silverwolfx11's Updated AT Guides!
  • Options
    zedvonkatmahlzedvonkatmahl Posts: 11 Arc User

In the end, MMOs have a limited rate at which they can put out content, and this rate is lower than the rate at which players can complete it. Thus, they introduce content with a goal of getting people to repeat it, and if you want to get everything, it will take a while. There is, however, always the option of not getting everything; I skipped a few things in the Malvan race, for example.

I'm far more forgiving of grindy permanent content than I am for grindy temporary events.
  • Options

I'm far more forgiving of grindy permanent content than I am for grindy temporary events.

Is a token grind worse than a low drop rate random thing? It's not like getting something like slime skin or mechanon's head was fast in the anniversary event.
  • Options
    championshewolfchampionshewolf Posts: 4,375 Arc User
    aesica wrote: »
    No, sorry.

While sure, teamwork is an important part of MMOs, the idea that everything worthwhile must be done in a group is an archaic concept that no modern mmo worth a damn subscribes to. The fact that the OP doesn't want to deal with grouping at every twist and turn is perfectly fine and in no way implies that he wants everything "handed to him." Maybe he just wants to log on and enjoy actually being a superhero who fights back the bad guys solo instead of just another party member in a mandatory Everquest group.

Tony Stark may be a part of the avengers, but he does plenty of solo ****-kicking as well.

Tony Stark doesn't do plenty of **** kicking solo and he sure doesn't tackle world ending phenomena by himself, he handles small things. I know you try to over stretch your imagination but most of this event can be done solo to boot anyways. I already get it that you've already made up your mind and continue to spread the misinformed lie of that only the top of the heap can do something but it's painfully obvious the only one holding you back, is you.

This is an MMO, time to get over that fact.​​
    Champions Online player since September of 2008, forumite since February of 2008.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    I can handle grindy permanent better because I can only grind so long at a time before I have to do something else, and if it's a temporary event I might not get back to it in time. (I am enjoying the fact that reward tokens for, for instance, FoxbatCon carry over from year to year, so I don't have to grind away at it like a desperate madman during the brief window available.)

As for the OP, I had a little trouble parsing your statements (spelling and grammar are very important when we don't have things like inflection to rely upon for communication), but overall, if you're not having fun, go play something else for a while. Life is too short to do things that aren't fun (unless you get paid for them, of course). You can always come back to CO later - it doesn't appear to be going away any time soon. I've been on a bit of a break myself lately, but I'm starting to get back into it again.
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
  • Options
    nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    If the game isnt fun anymore play something else. Not a flame in any way. When I get bored of CO I take a break play other games :3
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • Options
    edited May 2016

Tony Stark doesn't do plenty of **** kicking solo and he sure doesn't tackle world ending phenomena by himself, he handles small things. I know you try to over stretch your imagination but most of this event can be done solo to boot anyways. I already get it that you've already made up your mind and continue to spread the misinformed lie of that only the top of the heap can do something but it's painfully obvious the only one holding you back, is you.

What are you even talking about? My post was directed at this statement you made and nothing more: "Well dunno what to tell you. This is an MMO, that means grouping with people and a community. Having things to do is part and parcel to the game and experience. Sorry you want everything handed to you, but that's not how MMOs work.​​"

I haven't tried the event yet (I'll be on later, but not right now) but unless the "group with 3-5 people" is a hard-set requirement, it'll probably be easy enough to solo.

To put it as simply as possible: It's okay for a MMO to have meaningful content for solo gameplay. Not everything has to be a mandatory groupfest. The days of Everquest-style forced grouping have long since been abandoned.
    (Hopefully) Useful CO Resources: HeroCreator (character planner), Cosmic Timers/Alert Checklist, Blood Moon Map, Anniversary Cat Map, and more (eventually, anyway).
  • Options
    Last time I tried the Nightmare stuff on PTS, it was pretty much "be with a group or bring along a basket to carry your **** home in". OTOH, if you don't want to group up (I often don't, because my life can interfere with my gaming at any moment and without warning), all you have to do is not play the Nightmare Invasion. The regular missions aren't going away.
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

• Options
    edited May 2016
    jonsills said:

Last time I tried the Nightmare stuff on PTS, it was pretty much "be with a group or bring along a basket to carry your **** home in".

Haven't tried it on live, but on pts the Qliphothic portals were quite difficult to solo (squishies need not apply) and the nightmare colossus was a zone-level cosmic boss and not remotely soloable, but also not meant to be.
  • Options
    xrazamaxxrazamax Posts: 979 Arc User
    Fight the worms if you don't want to group. Really though, two things here:

1) MMO is Massive Multiplayer Online. Content is always going to be geared towards reasons to group. Developers assume you are playing MMOs because you want to play with a community.

2) Events are not designed for you to acquire everything their first time around. Otherwise it would be like events of the past where veterans just completely ignore them because they unlocked everything on the first day it came out.
  • Options
    roughbearmattachroughbearmattach Posts: 4,784 Arc User
    The one part that stands out for me is the OP never got a TA queue to pop. Likewise, queues don't generally pop for Fire and Ice, either.

Experienced players know you have to form teams and queue the team, or form a private queue (for Rampages). Newer players often do not know that, since they are trained to click to queue for Alerts. There might a significant language barrier, too.

My solution is simply to better advertise/explain queuing teams and forming private queues. Players do that in zone chat sometimes (I have and Spinny have, for instance.), but maybe it isn't enough.

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.
  • Options
    spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    If you don't like the new additions, then keep playing the old stuff. It's all still there. All content is optional and nobody is twisting your arm to care about any of the new rewards, just don't expect to say "I'm not having fun doing the activities to get the rewards" and then have them handed to you. That'd be like saying "I just feel better when I win, so you should let me win" and expecting to win.

I think maybe the best advice in the thread so far is to just play something else for a bit. The moment you find yourself thinking "Aw geez, you mean I have to play the video game for X hours before I can get Y reward that is only relevant in said video game?" then that's probably a sign that you're bored of said video game, and even getting handed every reward in the game won't solve that for you ( in fact, common sense tells us it would actually have the opposite effect! ).
    aesica said:

No, sorry.

While sure, teamwork is an important part of MMOs, the idea that everything worthwhile must be done in a group is an archaic concept that no modern mmo worth a damn subscribes to.

From my testing, large parts of the Nightmare Invasion are actually possible to do solo. Of course, you won't be able to just stand there and spam aoes and hope to be successful... which I am guessing is the sort of thing the OP tried. On PTS I'm actually giggling with delight at the kind of fun you can have soloing these groups.

Which is unfortunate for me, because I'm likely never going to get to solo these groups once this content hits live. Folks want to act like you'll have to actually look for a group to do this, but the reality is there are going to be swarms of players heading for these groups anyways. You're not going to have to look for a group, the group will already be heading there.

Nobody needs the pathetic 3 npc groups that these events have had in the past in order to be able to participate. None of you are actually that pathetic, despite how hard you want to argue to the contrary.

PS - the game has plenty of solo content, so I don't know why you're so desperately arguing the case for it being added to the game. GCR has been stated to be awarded for group content only, SCR and many, many other rewards on the other hand can be acquired through solo play. This is still probably a more solo-friendly game than any of those other mmos you're thinking of.
  • Options
    squirrelloidsquirrelloid Posts: 869 Arc User

Have you ever read an Iron Man comic? This post makes it pretty clear you *haven't*.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    spinnytop said:

Nobody needs the pathetic 3 npc groups that these events have had in the past in order to be able to participate. None of you are actually that pathetic, despite how hard you want to argue to the contrary.

I'm not entirely sure what your post had to do with mine o.O especially the part I just quoted. Like what does that even mean?
    spinnytop said:

PS - the game has plenty of solo content, so I don't know why you're so desperately arguing the case for it being added to the game. GCR has been stated to be awarded for group content only, SCR and many, many other rewards on the other hand can be acquired through solo play. This is still probably a more solo-friendly game than any of those other mmos you're thinking of.

It's not that I want more solo content so much as content that that keeps different types of players in mind. If you want a summary of the things I've actually taken issue with:

1) The SCR item price hike (which is clearly here to stay and completely invalidates Heroic tier gear)

2) The OV respawn nerf breaking people's ability to get the daily done within the 15 minute time limit. Thankfully further changes have been made to make this content actually tolerable again--this time in a less-broken way than instant respawns. Overall, I'm pleased with this now, so it can go off the list.

3) The cosmics were offputting to me because of the choice to implement wonky anti-leecher mechanics (because big bad leechers are apparently everywhere and totally ruin everything) instead of making sure everyone who participates actually gets the credit they deserve.

4) In line with #3, I've yet to get quest credit for a single Colossus in this event even. It's that broken Clarence garbage all over again, but since there's an active team now, maybe it will get fixed? Who knows at this point.

- -

Edit: That said, this game is fairly solo-friendly...or was initially which is why I got hooked on it. I'm all for them adding group-heavy content, but I'd like to think they're still keeping in mind that not everyone wants to play Everquest or Final Fantasy XI, where it's get grouped or don't play at all. That design concept is a closed chapter in MMOs, and for many very good reasons.

Still, it's far from the most solo friendly game I've played though. STO wins that award no contest, and overall, it's a better game because of that.
  • Options
    aesica said:

Still, it's far from the most solo friendly game I've played though. STO wins that award no contest, and overall, it's a better game because of that.

For you. But I have a hunch that the majority of people who sign up to play an mmo do so with the understanding that it's likely they're going to spend a lot of time interacting with other players while playing content, and are pretty surprised if that's not the case... and in many cases say screw that and bail because of it. We do have some other folks here who prefer to play solo, but a lot of them are cognizant of the fact that they're playing a multiplayer game and don't expect to be catered to very much, instead preferring to just be grateful that they still have plenty of solo content to play. I really hope that you're not trying to claim that group content being the focus of mmos is a closed chapter... because that would be quite the fantasy.

I've tanked, healed, and dps'd the cosmics, and I've never not gotten credit, and I haven't done anything special or unusual to make that happen so you might want to stop listening to whoever's telling you you'll never get credit and actually go do it. The "big bad" participation thresholds you're so worried about are actually really low, so you would have to barely do any damage, healing, or tanking across the board not to get any credit or rewards at this point. In case you ever find yourself tanking the dogs on Kiga, take note that there is a lot of time between bites for you to spam some damage onto the dogs - some tanks don't end up getting credit there because they spend too much time blocking when they should be attacking - this also ensures that you have more solid aggro on your dog and they don't run off to chow down on some unsuspecting healer. Also note that dying in these events lowers your score, so learn how to survive the things - it'll improve your score significantly.

As for the nightmare event, yeah it has some bugs. Hell I discovered a very important one personally regarding rewards, and in the process of confirming it I gave up a chance at rewards for two whole fights, so now that one is also going to be fixed. In case you're curious, it has to do with the credit that the orbs should be giving - they're actually intended to give a good amount, and currently aren't. Future orb enthusiasts can thank me for catching that one ^_^

As for the SCR price adjustment, which players is this not keeping in mind? People who don't have a lot of time to play? How exactly do you keep those players in mind... by making everything so cheap that the people who do actually have time to play get it too fast? Or do you mean impatient players who just want it now? Well fact is you can't cater to those players since they're impossible to please, so better to ignore them. Fact is, you can get SCR fast in this game - the only thing stopping you is that you're not willing to do the things. They gave you the options to get the currency. If you don't take those options then that's not them not keeping you in mind, that's you choosing to acquire the rewards more slowly.

As for #2, if it can be left off the list, then why wasn't it left off the list? I mean, if you're just going to keep complaining about things even after your demands regarding those things have been satisfied...

As far as "solo player" vs "group player" I have a feeling that there isn't actually some sort of divide down the middle of the population with each player standing in one of those camps. I think it makes a lot more sense that the majority of players are both, and sometimes feel like soloing, and other times feel like grouping, and the game definitely keeps those kinds of players in mind.
  • Options
    glortorglortor Posts: 324 Arc User

By now i have to say i was able to life with the Lockboxes, the gambling and some Grinding in games overall, but the latest changes make me mad and sad all together, first the Onslaught Villains Stuff putting stuff behind a big Grindwall, then the Recognition stuff put behind a Grind wall now this Nightmare Invasion event grinding but ok.

What drives me crazy is, making the open world daylis 3 men misisons, the Elder Worms groups are ok and somewhat normal and can be beaten alone but what the hell is up with the Horrors beeign gorups of several Super and Master Villains, the problem i mainly have wtih this even if you team up you have problem finding those groups and if oyu do try geta team together before someone else kilsl them with his uberbuild.

The Collosus is ok, Open Mission like Takofanes or Clarence wehre oyu need alot of peopel anyway and ncie taht costumes form the store can drop form them aswell so safes some grinding.

But yeah my point with al lthis is that CO slwoly drives me away, i am not havign fun anymore wtih it becasue i not want to do the same stuff over and over for stuff oyu not even can get now in like 10 days each, i not even care for gear like the Heroic gear, but for the costuems but the prices are ridiclious by now consdiering also how less possibilitys we have to get recognitions anyway already. The new Teleios Tower for example, maybe bad luck but i never got a group for it or was able to get in queed.

But yeah the Grind is the most thing that annyos me, how much you have to do for jsut one costume piece, grind belongs in MMO's since hey started, but give us also Gameplay and Missions we want to repeat on our own and not feels forced to do and let it feel rewarding and not a waste of time especialy if you payed for the game and stuff like powers also are behind a Grindwall which by now is ridiclious.

CO for me was always about creating things, new costumes and builds that go with it, but if you take away my cosutmes and lock them behind those Grinding i start to lose interesst. Hell i was considering buyign soem Zen agian extra for once even but by now i see no point in wasting any more money or time in this game. I will stay around for sure but if it contineus like that, i won't pay a damn thing anymore to this and i am sure i am not the only one thinking like that, congrats to loosing customers PWE, because this are not updates in my eyes, this are puttign locks on everythign we might could enjoy. And yes tehy need to make money to keep the game running, but not like this.

I'm sorry, friend, but you came to the wrong medium. This forum is dead, mostly inhabited by those who support the devs in every single design choice they make, whether those choices are reasonable or not.
    You will soon find that if you have complaints or suggestions, you will mostly be condescended on by the "faithfuls" and disregarded by the developers.

Your complaints are valid issues that a proper customer service representant would address one by one, but this game has no such commodity as a communications department suited for player-to-team relations. It's not that the game has so many players - it doesn't.
    They simply do not invest into such small-scale issues as user satisfaction.

The devs are not customer support and they are not intending to be. Which is fine, they have their own jobs to do and players complaining shouldn't be their problem. The issue is more that user satisfaction amounts to very little and this game is not designed for the players but for profit. The whole thing boils down to making it so tedious that you spend real money to buy some of the pieces, or open lockboxes / spend on keys to get drifter boxes with.
    The reason the new power costs 650 tokens for example is that 1 token is 2 drifter salvage, as drifter salvage has been largely unused and players have literally thousands that they can do nothing with outside these events.

tldr they want your money so they pull **** like this.
  • Options
    crappynamerulescrappynamerules Posts: 81 Arc User
    Honestly, GCR right now is pretty good. Just doing the cosmic daily alone can net you 28 a day. Add a TA run with the daily to that for like...14? 42 GCR in a day, a bit of an investiture of time to get TA and the cosmics all down (especially now with the nightmare craze), but before that, it was possible to get together the needed GCR for a piece of primary gear in a week without excessive grinding. Onslaught can be a bit more of a pain, but only because of the guardian daily. Getting the villain daily is pretty simple, you can get it with like 8 minutes to spare on the onslaught device.
  • Options
    vitalityprimevitalityprime Posts: 478 Arc User
    nepht said:

If the game isnt fun anymore play something else. Not a flame in any way. When I get bored of CO I take a break play other games :3

This is literally the best advice.

Never feel like you HAVE to keep playing one single game...and never feel bad about needing a break from said game.

Doing so is the best way to ensure the longevity, and excitement, of a game, for yourself...in my opinion.
    _________
    VARIANT

"Nearly all men can withstand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."

-Abraham Lincoln-
  • Options
    circleofpsi#4619 circleofpsi Posts: 2,913 Arc User

nepht said:

This is literally the best advice.

Never feel like you HAVE to keep playing one single game...and never feel bad about needing a break from said game.

Doing so is the best way to ensure the longevity, and excitement, of a game, for yourself...in my opinion.
    I'm sorry, but how does this count as "Good Advice", what are others supposed to do?, like friends and party numbers?, who also play the game?, what about their feelings and thoughts of the game?.

While I agree with alot of the grinding issues, I can not even begin to fathom how this will work out. The grinding, sure, removing yourself from, that, but what about the other parts?, Like Missions/Nemesis Missions, making new costumes or clubbing or so. etc.
    Psi.
  • Options
    riveroceanriverocean Posts: 1,690 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    glortor said:

most thing that annyos me, how much you have to do for jsut one costume piece, grind belongs in MMO's since hey started, but give us also Gameplay and Missions we want to repeat on our own and not feels forced to do and let it feel rewarding and not a waste of time especialy if you payed for the game and stuff like powers also are behind a Grindwall which by now is ridiclious. they want your money so they pull **** like this.

I'm going to take this one on ..because well reasons. Let's face facts, this game has made all the money it's ever going to make from PC players. Lifetime subs from six years ago, have already earned out their value. Most serious PC gamers found this game much too easy and moved on to other games.

All of these changes (in my theory) have nothing to do with us existing PC gamers. They have to do with future console gamers. I'm 100% certain that this game is going to end up on consoles. That's why you seeing more grind. We are basically guinea pigs right now. A glorified test environment being used as they prepare for the next phase in their business.

No amount of complaining is going to stop PWI from their plans of moving all of their games to consoles. Even if this game only earns a tiny amount of money from console play, it will be more than it earns from PC gamers now. As a community we've outlived our monetary usefulness to PWI. I'm not saying that to be mean, it's just common sense. CO is entering the age where most mmo's get scrap-heaped, but we're seeing a drastic change in direction. We're also seeing really rapid development.

Also, sweet baby jeebus people, spell check your danged posts. You see those red wavy lines underneath words. That means you spelled something badly. Right mouse click to correct. It only takes a few seconds.

Questions About AT Play? Visit Silverwolfx11's Updated AT Guides!
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Posts: 4,915 Arc User
    spinnytop said:

Fact is, you can get SCR fast in this game - the only thing stopping you is that you're not willing to do the things.

Yeah, I can get 20+ just doing easy dailies...
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • Options
    glortor said:

I'm sorry, friend, but you came to the wrong medium. This forum is dead, mostly inhabited by those who support the devs in every single design choice they make, whether those choices are reasonable or not.

I'm sure you don't see the irony in responding to that post with this claim at all.
  • Options
    cryneting said:

I'm sorry, but how does this count as "Good Advice", what are others supposed to do?, like friends and party numbers?, who also play the game?, what about their feelings and thoughts of the game?.

They're supposed to do the exact same thing. It's a video game, not your kid. Nobody, no matter who they are, should give you any grief over your decision to take a break from it or abandon it wholesale. Video games are optional, no matter what.
    cryneting said:

While I agree with alot of the grinding issues, I can not even begin to fathom how this will work out. The grinding, sure, removing yourself from, that, but what about the other parts?, Like Missions/Nemesis Missions, making new costumes or clubbing or so. etc.

It'll work out fantastically. You'll play other games, have more fun, and overall be a more happy and sane human being. If they still want to make costumes or "clubbing" or whatever, they can go ahead and do that. I don't see the problem - all content is optional, no matter what.
  • Options
    onlyepicwolfonlyepicwolf Posts: 94 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    spinnytop said:

As for the SCR price adjustment, which players is this not keeping in mind? People who don't have a lot of time to play? How exactly do you keep those players in mind... by making everything so cheap that the people who do actually have time to play get it too fast? Or do you mean impatient players who just want it now? Well fact is you can't cater to those players since they're impossible to please, so better to ignore them. Fact is, you can get SCR fast in this game - the only thing stopping you is that you're not willing to do the things. They gave you the options to get the currency. If you don't take those options then that's not them not keeping you in mind, that's you choosing to acquire the rewards more slowly.

You must come from a bizzaro world if you consider 950 SCR unlocks a 'normal' thing, considering how slow you earn the tokens. Especially so if you don't have a lot of time to play during the day or are a casual player who'd like to get some cool gear for their characters without playing the game like a 6+ years veteran, who knows every single way on how to play the game.

This was single handedly one of the worst decisions made. How can anyone defend and support it is beyond ridiculous and proves the forums are just full of dev supporters who don't care for actually improving the game and experience but rather welcome whatever new thing might come about without questioning it.

Zen prices were the beginning, together with the lockboxes. And these events are even worse. You get a couple of days to get some tokens to unlock a few things from the vendor OR you could BUY keys to get Drifter Salvage exchange, because money. These practices will drive players away and they already are.

• Options
    decorumfriendsdecorumfriends Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    spinnytop said:

glortor said:

I'm sure you don't see the irony in responding to that post with this claim at all.
    Not to mention it not being true. I mean, I've only been here three years, but I've never seen it be as big a whine-fest as it has been the last few months.

'Dec out

QDSxNpT.png
  • Options
    nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User

You must come from a bizzaro world if you consider 950 SCR unlocks a 'normal' thing, ...

I love Foxi shes one of my oldest buddies in CO but she does actually come from Bizzaro world.
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • Options
    glortorglortor Posts: 324 Arc User
    People are not blind. Just because 3-4 kissers group up on somebody who posts what two dozens of people have been saying in game, it won't change the truth.
  • Options

You must come from a bizzaro world if you consider 950 SCR unlocks a 'normal' thing, considering how slow you earn the tokens.

You do realize that all of those unlocks still drop in the same places they dropped before? The ability to buy them for 950 SCR makes them more accessible, not less.
  • Options

The ability to buy them for 950 SCR makes them more accessible, not less.

Do explain the logic behind that.
  • Options
    guyhumualguyhumual Posts: 2,392 Arc User

The ability to buy them for 950 SCR makes them more accessible, not less.

Well I've been playing the game for about 5 years now, I've played for the entirety of the On Alert system, and in that time I've gotten one rare drop. With the ability to buy the rare drops with recognition I may get to unlock another rare drop with Recognition as apposed to using the AH or hopping for a rare drop. Prior to the recognition option you only had drops and the AH to get these rare drops.
  • Options

Old method: to acquire drop X, farm the mob that drops it.
    New method: to acquire drop X, farm the mob that drops it or farm SCR.

The second method gives you twice as many options, and therefore increases accessibility.
  • Options

The second method gives you twice as many options, and therefore increases accessibility.
    So either spend a lot of time knowing what a low drop rate chance the x item has or spend just as much or longer just to get the tokens required. Either way it requires a lot of work and time to unlock ONE thing. It's neither easy or fun, and considering how recently you have to farm everything just to get something (or have a -chance- to get it) is why threads like this pop up and why people complain.

Making something cost 950+ SRC plus other tokens is -NOT- an 'easier' way to get them. Nor is it a fun one. It's a chore and in no way gives people motivation to even bother.
  • Options
    spinnytop said:

glortor said:

Dat cute cat tho..
    Psi.
  • Options
    spinnytop said:

cryneting said:

They're supposed to do the exact same thing. It's a video game, not your kid. Nobody, no matter who they are, should give you any grief over your decision to take a break from it or abandon it wholesale. Video games are optional, no matter what.
    cryneting said:

It'll work out fantastically. You'll play other games, have more fun, and overall be a more happy and sane human being. If they still want to make costumes or "clubbing" or whatever, they can go ahead and do that. I don't see the problem - all content is optional, no matter what.

Thank you for this Spinnytop, this was a big help..
    Psi.
  • Options

Making something cost 950+ SRC plus other tokens is -NOT- an 'easier' way to get them.

You didn't have them before. Why does the fact they're now available from a store make the fact you didn't have them suddenly more dire?
  • Options
    ansemthedarkansemthedark Posts: 664 Arc User

So either spend a lot of time knowing what a low drop rate chance the x item has or spend just as much or longer just to get the tokens required. Either way it requires a lot of work and time to unlock ONE thing. It's neither easy or fun, and considering how recently you have to farm everything just to get something (or have a -chance- to get it) is why threads like this pop up and why people complain.

Making something cost 950+ SRC plus other tokens is -NOT- an 'easier' way to get them. Nor is it a fun one. It's a chore and in no way gives people motivation to even bother.
    That is whole point of this post, it is no fun and not feels rewarding or accomplishing in any way, sure we got another option to get those costuems now, but really..... it is still overpriced and i also play for some years already before On Alert and did alot of alerts and never got a costume piece ever, this is jsut depressing and has nothign to do with beeign lazy or not willing ot do stuff, becasue it feels like you accomlish nothing at all and if you get such over and over now with recent updates in all those years someone plays and people just bash on you, saying you just complain and not work hard enough for it?

Not only drive this updates and changes me away now but this arrogant community. I did farm my stuff i had nothign agaisnt girnding, did the mechanon misisosn, did adventure packs, farmed questonite, but becasue i nto can paly liek 8 hours straight each day i am the one who is lazy and shows no will to work for stuff?

Sry random drops and stuff are part of MMO's and you can have bad luck i knwo taht, but such alternatives with such prices is just a middle finger from the developers to the playerbase.
  • Options
    sistersiliconsistersilicon Posts: 1,687 Arc User
    glortor said:

People are not blind. Just because 3-4 kissers group up on somebody who posts what two dozens of people have been saying in game, it won't change the truth.

Kid, this game is coming up on its 7th anniversary, and trolls who can't let go of the Great Day One Nerf of September 2009 still crawl out from under their bridges every once in a while. And speaking as a one-time forum arsonist myself, ain't nobody in this room afraid to turn a flamethrower on Cryptic and/or PWE when they do something stupid. Nobody. I guess there is a place for perception skills as highly selective as yours somewhere, but you're not fooling anybody here.
    Choose your enemies carefully, because they will define you / Make them interesting, because in some ways they will mind you
    They're not there in the beginning, but when your story ends / Gonna last with you longer than your friends
  • Options
    magpieuk2014magpieuk2014 Posts: 1,268 Arc User
    Not only drive this updates and changes me away now but this arrogant community. I did farm my stuff i had nothign agaisnt girnding, did the mechanon misisosn, did adventure packs, farmed questonite, but becasue i nto can paly liek 8 hours straight each day i am the one who is lazy and shows no will to work for stuff?

There's a fair proportion of the community who are just interested in trolling anyone who complains. You'll work out their names soon enough. Don't be put off. The levels of grinding being introduced to the game are silly and it is putting people off playing, especially the people who play for an hour or two a day because they like the game, not out out of a desire to be top player and have the bestest.
  • Options

Making something cost 950+ SRC plus other tokens is -NOT- an 'easier' way to get them.

You didn't have them before. Why does the fact they're now available from a store make the fact you didn't have them suddenly more dire?
    When they get priced 900+ SRC tokens? Not in the slightest. I don't have any motivation to play a whole month or longer just to unlock ONE part. And neither do have a vast majority of players, not to mention many newcomers.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    spinnytop said:

For you. But I have a hunch that the majority of people who sign up to play an mmo do so with the understanding that it's likely they're going to spend a lot of time interacting with other players while playing content, and are pretty surprised if that's not the case... and in many cases say screw that and bail because of it. We do have some other folks here who prefer to play solo, but a lot of them are cognizant of the fact that they're playing a multiplayer game and don't expect to be catered to very much, instead preferring to just be grateful that they still have plenty of solo content to play. I really hope that you're not trying to claim that group content being the focus of mmos is a closed chapter... because that would be quite the fantasy.

Don't assume that other players want exactly what you want. The very fact that modern MMOs have trended away from mandatory grouping says otherwise, especially since most early MMOs started out as "group or die." Grouping is fine, but if you honestly think players don't like to feel self sufficient as well, then sorry, there's no polite way to say this, but you're clueless.

Just look at how people with freeform typically tend to build their DPS and support characters. Do they make their DPS frail and their support puny so that their characters pretty much require a group to function at their full potential? Or do they give some self-heals and defense to their DPS, and outfit their supports with enough offense to stand on their own when needed?
    spinnytop said:

Let's put it to you this way: Statwise, the difference between merc gear and heroic gear is pretty small. Unfortunately, with the SCR price hike, the difference in time required is pretty much this:

Merc: You can outfit yourself with a full set of this in less than a day. Grind smashes, get money, buy merc gear from the auction house. This is good though, because it helps spring players into the endgame stuff without forcing them into a more drawn out "miserable phase" of grinding at max level for what's effectively starter gear.

Heroic: Takes who-knows-how-long now. It only took a few days per item before, which was actually fine when you consider that it's only a small step up from merc gear.

So what exactly is the intended progression path? Merc first, then heroic? Straight to heroic? I can promise you, most people just skip the heroic step entirely now because their time is better spent working toward the stuff that comes after heroic.

That's why I disapprove of the price hike. I'm fine with earning my stuff, but with the SCR price hike, heroic gear has literally become too much work for too little reward.
    spinnytop said:

As for #2, if it can be left off the list, then why wasn't it left off the list? I mean, if you're just going to keep complaining about things even after your demands regarding those things have been satisfied...

Don't be dense. I'm not "complaining" about it anymore because it's been patched up for the most part. I only mentioned it because it was something I took issue with in the past. That list was kind of meant as a history of changes I found distasteful at various points.
    spinnytop said:

As far as "solo player" vs "group player" I have a feeling that there isn't actually some sort of divide down the middle of the population with each player standing in one of those camps. I think it makes a lot more sense that the majority of players are both, and sometimes feel like soloing, and other times feel like grouping, and the game definitely keeps those kinds of players in mind.

"Having a feeling" isn't the same as "having actual data." And no, it's not some hard divide. Never once said it was. Players generally will favor one type of gameplay over the other, but yeah, most like both in varying degrees. I personally like mostly flying solo, but I also enjoy the occasional alert--I'm probably one of the few people who actually likes Cybermind.

When you consider how many complaints show up in zone chat from people who can't solo the unstable rifts and elder worm thingies, and when you see posts by people using language like "forced grouping," it should be pretty obvious that quests like those seen in this event are something that a fair amount of people would prefer to do on their own.

Players really shouldn't be told to group up for everything.
  • Options
    I've been playing for years. As a notorious altaholic, I've raised three toons to 40 and a number of others well into the 30s. And in all that time, I've never felt the need to grind for any of your fancy-schmancy "Heroic" or "Justice" or any of that other gear. Found a few pieces from time to time, and they can make me feel even more overpowered, but as I don't really care about cosmics, I've never felt like there's anything I can't run. (Okay, soloing lairs on MI while I'm at the same level they are is approaching the impossible, but since none of them are actually required, that's no big deal for me.)

I submit that if you feel you must grind, the issue may be with you, rather than the game.

• Options
    jonsills said:

I submit that if you feel you must grind, the issue may be with you, rather than the game.

If the game is built that it locks away decent stuff from you behind a grind wall, it's the game, not the player.