Install Arc
Options

FC.31.20160210.37 - Bug Fixes

kaiserin#0958 kaiserin Posts: 3,093 Cryptic Developer
edited March 2016 in PTS - The Archive
Power Changes
A few powers have had their cost adjusted to account for their effects:
  • Slightly reduced cost on Power Chord.
  • Slightly reduced cost on Skullcrusher.
  • Slightly increased cost on Cleave.
  • Slightly increased cost on Eruption.
  • Reduced cost on Vicious Descent.
  • Reduced cost on Brute Strike and Pistol Whip.
  • Adjusted cost for Holy Water's friendly effect to differ from the offensive effect.
  • Firesnake should properly path to the target for realsies.
  • Hyper Voice now has rank up FX.
  • Arc of ruin no longer requires a target to use.
  • Holy Water can now be colored.
  • Soul Vortex can now be colored.
  • Eruption's cooldown increased to 10 seconds.
  • Eruption's Magma Burst ability has a higher chance to apply Clinging Flames on your main target.

Costumes
  • Added Kitsune 3 tails costume to the Animal Pack.
  • Made the Kitsune tail less hyperactive.
  • Squirrel Tail now has a second variant that can use the tail slider.
  • Fixed the Squirrel Tail 2 bounce.
  • Fixed the Dog tail bounce.
  • Added male versions of Husky, Lion and Hyena heads.
  • Resized the male Husky and Fox heads so they can use hairs a little better.
  • Added Electric and Acoustic guitars as basic heavy weapon options.
Note: Players who already unlocked this pack may not be able to see the new heads. Individual items will be added in the next pts update.

Misc
  • Fixed a bug where the Teleios Ascendant daily mission was under the wrong journal category.
  • Added Foxbat currency to the PTS store.
  • Fixed a description error with the foam finger slap.
  • Added Extreme Hair to the questionite store.
  • Removed Shadow Material from the questionite store. This will return during the Nightmare Event.
  • Updated Rockstar archetype to have the Electric Guitar as a default weapon.

Please format any bugs you find in the following format:
Bug
Where it happens
What happens

Please stay on topic in this PTS thread. We use bug reports from this thread to decide whether a PTS build is ready to go live, and so we need to make sure we're seeing everything in it. Please do discuss the changes, but if you find yourself writing about something that isn't specific to what's on PTS, then that should probably go here: http://forum.arcgames.com/championsonline/categories/gameplay-bugs1. Posts that do not pertain to the current PTS patch will be removed.

These player & moderator maintained threads are checked weekly by the development team.
- http://forum.arcgames.com/championsonline/discussion/1203590/costume-bug-list
- http://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/championsonline/#/discussion/1203148/onslaught-bugs-and-balance-qol-concerns
- http://forum.arcgames.com/championsonline/discussion/1198089/known-power-bugs
- http://forum.arcgames.com/championsonline/discussion/1194284/champions-online-alerts-issues
- http://forum.arcgames.com/championsonline/discussion/1198119/compiled-list-of-bugs-issues-and-qol-concerns-version-2-0​​
Post edited by kaiserin#0958 on

Comments

• Options
    squirrelloidsquirrelloid Posts: 869 Arc User
    edited March 2016
    kaizerin said:

Power Changes

Slightly increased cost on Eruption.
    Eruption's cooldown increased to 10 seconds.

​​

WHY? Why do you hate HW/Devastators so much?

Even with top of the line gear, it's pretty much impossible to get enough cost reduction to use skewer and cd reduction to use Eruption with these changes. (The cooldown is the big deal here).
    kaizerin said:

Slightly reduced cost on Skullcrusher.
    ​​
    And it's official. We're all bad people for using skewer over skullcrusher on our Devastators. Now Skullcrusher is as much damage as Skewer for like half the energy cost, and it knocks, so it stacks enrage by itself. (Which, since eruption now has unplayably long CD, makes it not only a 'you only have to spam this power' choice for devastators, but the *only* viable non-Brimstone attack they get).

Is PTS back up yet? I need to check some numbers on my devastator, but you're wrecking virtually all the existing Devastators with these changes (including skewer cost change) and forcing them into a 'mash one button to win' build for *no good reason whatsoever*.

No one has ever even suggested any HW power is overperforming in the slightest, so I am completely baffled by these changes. So please explain this business strategy to me: Release awesome new HW skin, but make most of the HW attacks terrible and wreck the existing HW AT.

Edit: PTS tested: Eruption CD is so ridiculously long that it can't be used to cycle other HW attacks anymore. Eruption-Arc-Skewer xN is completely unplayable, even with top tier gear.

Since other frameworks have perfectly viable attack cycles that work, some even simpler than that, I have no idea why this was targeted for total destruction.

Will do some testing with the alternate power choices, but Eruption's CD is now ridiculously long for what it does. You'd think it was a stun.. oh wait, the melee stuns *don't even have a cd at all*.
  • Options
    thelastsonofzodthelastsonofzod Posts: 658 Arc User
    edited March 2016
    Bug:Johnie Rocker is displaying the info for Windchill, not himself. Although I'd love to have him as a companion (We could use a tank companion infact) he's not actually available as such.

Suggestion: Rocker is wearing a Dogz tshirt not currently available to players. Please change it out to something we can access, or add it to the Dogz' loot table. otherwise people will think it comes in the lockbox.

Edit:

Bug: Redid the Real Foxbat mission. It looks like Foxbat's den wall is clipping slightly into his bedroom floor.
    Post edited by thelastsonofzod on
  • Options
    aiqaaiqa Posts: 2,620 Arc User
    edited March 2016
    Having tested the 10 seconds eruptions, it's not a nice change at all. If it needed toning down I would greatly prefer to AoE size be reduced a little, the animation doesn't make much sense for the 320 degree anyway. So please consider reducing the AoE to 180 degree and reducing the cooldown a bit again so it can be used to build enrage again at an acceptable speed.
  • Options
    pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    Eruption needs to be something you can get down to about a 3s cd, as one of its uses is on a skewer build that doesn't have other convenient Enrage triggers.
  • Options
    soulforgersoulforger Posts: 1,649 Arc User
    Hm...I guess because I already used the animal pack, I did not unlock the Husky, Lion, or Hyena head for males, nor the kitsune 3 tails.
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    Wait, when did we make Eruption an AoE? I am 99% certain as a long time Devastator user that it has always been single target, but the PTS tooltip now says AoE. Why are we totally changing the functionality of the power?
  • Options

Wait, when did we make Eruption an AoE? I am 99% certain as a long time Devastator user that it has always been single target, but the PTS tooltip now says AoE. Why are we totally changing the functionality of the power?

It has always been an aoe, just not labeled as one.
  • Options
    edited March 2016

No it hasn't. It has always knocked/damaged just one target. I have something like 2 years of playtime with it.
  • Options
    championshewolfchampionshewolf Posts: 4,375 Arc User
    Have to say, making eruption a 10 second recharge seems a bit extreme. It was pretty much my main threat power whenever I used HW, as I hate the animation of brute strike. Upping it to 10 seconds just makes it really unusable even with heavy CDR.​​
    Champions Online player since September of 2008, forumite since February of 2008.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options

No it hasn't. It has always knocked/damaged just one target. I have something like 2 years of playtime with it.
    I've always been knocking multiple targets with it. Been using it since it was released pre-alert.
  • Options

I've always been knocking multiple targets with it. Been using it since it was released pre-alert.
    I have never knocked two targets with it, and it's my Devastator's energy engine power. Gets used once every 4-5 attacks.
  • Options
    riveroceanriverocean Posts: 1,690 Arc User
    I'm confused about the HW changes in general. Was HW over performing in some manner? I'm not asking this question to be a smart Alec. I'm quite serious, I've not known the powers in the HW to be OP in practice. Was I missing something.. because I'm really surprised right now.
    Questions About AT Play? Visit Silverwolfx11's Updated AT Guides!
  • Options
    edited March 2016

I have never knocked two targets with it, and it's my Devastator's energy engine power. Gets used once every 4-5 attacks.
    I've always noticed it knocking multiple targets, but than again, I used the advantage. Maybe you don't? Yes, its all due to the advantage Magma Burst, which hits target in a 10' sphere, and not just the main target. So yes, the advantage changed it from a single target attack to a aoe.
  • Options

I've always noticed it knocking multiple targets, but than again, I used the advantage. Maybe you don't? Yes, its all due to the advantage Magma Burst, which hits target in a 10' sphere, and not just the main target. So yes, the advantage changed it from a single target attack to a aoe.
    See, i never used Magma Burst. Without the advantage, it used to be single target.
  • Options

See, i never used Magma Burst. Without the advantage, it used to be single target.

Yep.
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    It's getting hard to keep track of all the HW power changes. Here, let's do a quick summary.

All powers measured with Str/con/rec, no gear, no passive, no toggle, and identical spec trees and talents. (As I'm not about to actually retcon a toon live, these are based on tooltip, not actual performance).

Test Build is here: http://powerhouse.nullware.com/powerhouse.html?v=13&n=Control Telepath&d=1173WAPEd9G0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000003bhs3T3B0ca1

PTS now (3/17)
    Eruption: 684 damage (342 ea. fire + crush), .83s activate, 10' cone, 13' knock up, 41 energy, 10s cd
    Annihilate: 666-1585 damage, 1.17 charge, .83 activate (2s total), single target, 39-78' knock, 38-57 energy
    Skullcrusher: 334-906 damage (167-453 ea fire + crush), .83 charge, .67 activate (1.5s total), 10x3 cylinder, knockdown, 20-62 energy (!!!)
    Skewer: 509-1085 damage (339-723 to secondary), .83 charge, .67 activate (1.5s total), 10x3 cylinder, bleed, 35-50 energy

Live now (3/17)
    Eruption: 802 damage, .83s activate, single target, 13' knock up, 37 energy, 3s cd
    Annihilate: 702-1676 damage, 1.17 charge, .83 activate (2s total), single target, 39-78' knock, 32-51 energy
    Skullcrusher: 392-1063 damage, .83 charge, .67 activate (1.5s total), 10x3 cylinder, knockdown, 20-60 energy
    Skewer: 518-1035 damage (345-690 to secondary), .83 charge, .67 activate (1.5s total), 10x3 cylinder, enrage, 23-39 energy

Conclusions:

1. Eruption deals 85% of its live damage on PTS. It was made an AoE. And it gained 4 energy cost and had its cd *more than tripled*.
    Verdict: Serious nerf. It was a utility / energy management power before. Making it an AoE totally changes the power to do something HW already does (Brimstone, Earthsplitter), except Eruption does it far worse (yes, even than Earthsplitter, which has no cd and costs 33% less energy on tap). And we lose the functionality Eruption actually had before. No one could have proposed these changes who has ever actually played a HW character before.

2. Annihilate actually *lost 5% damage* despite moving to tier 3, and added 6 energy cost. (An increase of about 15% for tap).
    Verdict: Substantial nerf.

3. Skullcrusher lost 15% of its damage, and actually *increased* in energy cost on charge, despite change notes to the contrary in OP.
    Verdict: Serious nerf

4. Skewer actually gained 5% damage on full charge, but had its costs increased over 50% on tap and 28% on full charge.
    Verdict: Serious nerf

For a powerset which *no one* thinks is overpowered, there's nothing but nerfs here, most of them incredibly serious. And most of the damage changes, despite being 5% or more, were never even mentioned in change summaries.

If these changes go live, Devastator is dead as a playable AT. Literally the only thing it won't suck at is spamming Brimstone, which will outperform all its other powers on even *single target* dps because of energy issues, and it doesn't get that until 40. Leveling to that point will be an exercise in frustration, and i doubt most players will bother.
  • Options
    I don't think those things are on exactly the same build. I don't have time to check up on everything now but at the very least Annihilate got a very significant damage buff, even when not using CF.
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    aiqa said:

I don't think those things are on exactly the same build. I don't have time to check up on everything now but at the very least Annihilate got a very significant damage buff, even when not using CF.

That's level 40 identical SS/talents/specs, no gear, no passive, no toggle, no advantages, R1 power tooltips, literally as they are in-game.

And it can't be a build difference, because then the net changes on everything would be *the same*. But Skewer's damage range expanded and the top end increased, while the others decreased - that can't happen by a spec or talent being 'misplaced', even if i was so sloppy.

• Options
    strypewolvenstrypewolven Posts: 45 Arc User
    Bug:

Kitsune 3 tail not showing in the costume creator or the costume listings at all.
  • Options
    strypewolvenstrypewolven Posts: 45 Arc User

aiqa said:

That's level 40 identical SS/talents/specs, no gear, no passive, no toggle, no advantages, R1 power tooltips, literally as they are in-game.

I'm gonna have to go with aiqa on this. I've been on the PTS today and on a copied character with no build/stat/etc changes and Annihilate does substantially more damage than it does on live. Tooltips might not be updated and you cannot go by those.
  • Options
    edited March 2016

I'm gonna have to go with aiqa on this. I've been on the PTS today and on a copied character with no build/stat/etc changes and Annihilate does substantially more damage than it does on live. Tooltips might not be updated and you cannot go by those.

Tooltips appear reasonably accurate when i tested a couple powers for damage on PTS, but I literally can't damage-test all those powers on live, so I'm not sure how you expect people to get comparable data. (I'll do some more testing on PTS and testing of the live stuff i can sometime later.) Also, they're all *different than live*, so they certainly have been updated. (And they update organically if you do put on gear or turn your toggle on or even use something like BCR - they're completely responsive to character damage modifiers. And again, they changed *relative to each other* - the skullcrusher vs. skewer comparison is near-identical damage on live, but on PTS skullcrusher is significantly worse).

Why don't you try stripping off your gear, removing your passive, turning off your toggle, and then checking? There might be other sources of difference that you're bundling together because you haven't stripped a character down to essentials and looked at the powers that way. (Why those things would combine to create different outcomes I don't know, but your comparing apples to oranges when you're comparing a fully kitted character to the data i provided).

Edit: If you're using Arc of Ruin, it debuffs defense more now than it used to, so that would show an increase in damage.
  • Options
    seanimusprimexseanimusprimex Posts: 47 Arc User
    Bug: New animal pack pieces not unlocking for those of us who already had it unlocked.
  • Options
    chaosdrgnz43chaosdrgnz43 Posts: 1,674 Arc User
    10s Eruption? Whelp, there goes my HW build. Guess I'll just stick to what I have right now.
    mfZ37eB.png
    Feel free to visit my websites!^^:
    DeviantART|FurAffinity|
    Twitter
  • Options
    flowcytoflowcyto Posts: 12,747 Arc User
    edited March 2016
    BUG: Eruption's Magma Burst adv still lists the CF chance as 30%.

Comparing some HW attacks before all the changes and on the PTS now:
    (lvl 40 gear/stat/star-less Hybrid; 5s in all stats, TP turned off)

-Annihilate-
    Current PTS: 348-828 dmg, 37-55 energy, 17-35ft KB
    Before Revision: 306-731 dmg, 32-51 energy, 17-35ft KB

-Eruption-
    New: 179+179 (358) dmg, 40 energy, 10ft KU, 10sec cd
    Old: 350 dmg, 38 energy, 10ft KU, 3sec cd

-Skewer-
    New: 266-567 dmg, 34-48 energy,177-378 splash dmg, 22-50% bleed chance
    Old: 283-556 dmg, 23-39 energy, 189-371 splash dmg

-Skullcrusher-
    New: 87-237 + 87-237 (174-474) dmg, 20-60 energy, KD, 50-100% Disorient
    Old: 171-464 dmg, 23-60 energy, KD

-Arc of Ruin-
    New: 245-585 dmg, 32-57 energy, 42-100% Disorient, 360-d cone
    Old: 245-585 dmg, 32-51 energy, Disorient on full charge, 120-d cone

-Vicious Descent-
    New: 120+120 (240) dmg, 38 energy, 1x Great Power, 15sec cd
    Old: 236 dmg, 43 energy, 15sec cd

-Brute Strike-
    New: 0.5sec activation, 127 dmg, 14 energy, 1.7sec stun
    Old: 0.67sec activation, 170 dmg, 20 energy, 1.7sec stun

(activation/charge time for all the others is the same, afaik)

So.. Annihilate hits ~13% harder on charge, but costs ~8% more.

Eruption hits a tad harder and costs a tad more (2% or so), and can now apply CF seemingly at 100% w/ Magma Burst now, but had its base cd more than tripled (ow).

Skewer got its charge dps upped slightly (~2%), but its energy cost bumped up a good deal (by 23%), and now has a bleed mechanic.

Skullcrusher had its charged dps slightly boosted (2%), and can now Disorient.

Arc is the same for dmg, though now doesn't require a target, is a full 360 AoE, and gained more in its special adv on allowing a CF refresh and stronger debuffing adv (15%+15% vs. +10% crushing iirc)- which helps the whole tree greatly (though kinda ties it to this power). Also costs a bit more on charge to compensate (~12% increase).

Vicious Descent is overall just a bit better now.

Brute Strike and Pistol Whip are now pretty much clone powers, though I suppose that's a good thing. Pistol Whip is a bit more energy (14 vs. 18), but eh.. Muni already has a built in EU.

So what hurts the most now is Eruption's new 10sec base cd, and Skewer's energy being hiked a bit. The cd hit to Eruption is prob to counteract Magma Burst being at (or near) a 100% CF apply to the primary target now, and I assume Skewer's energy hike was to offset the bleed? Dunno.
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
    - Be safe and have fun, champs - for science!
  • Options
    spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    flowcyto said:

The cd hit to Eruption is prob to counteract Magma Burst being at (or near) a 100% CF apply to the primary target now, and I assume Skewer's energy hike was to offset the bleed? Dunno.

Makes sense to me. The changes make sense when you consider what flowcyto says here. People wanted better CF application on Eruption - well, they got it. Of course the power had to be adjusted in some other way to account for that.

I think "unusable" is a bit of an unrealistic assessment. This isn't the first power in the game to have a 10 second cooldown, and Enrage stacks last longer than 10 seconds.
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    spinnytop said:

flowcyto said:

The cd hit to Eruption is prob to counteract Magma Burst being at (or near) a 100% CF apply to the primary target now, and I assume Skewer's energy hike was to offset the bleed? Dunno.

Makes sense to me. The changes make sense when you consider what flowcyto says here. People wanted better CF application on Eruption - well, they got it. Of course the power had to be adjusted in some other way to account for that.

I think "unusable" is a bit of an unrealistic assessment. This isn't the first power in the game to have a 10 second cooldown, and Enrage stacks last longer than 10 seconds.
    I'm pretty sure it's the first non-ultimate non-lunge melee power with a 10s cd. (Maybe Earth has something? And very few people use Vicious Descent because 10s cd on a lunge is painfully long.) Very few melee powers have any cd at all, and those that do (Rising Knee for example) have 3s cds. Melee isn't supposed to be waiting around a long time for things.

Who wanted CF at all? Not all or even most HW users care about the new fire/crushing combination, and won't choose fire-related advantages. (Yeah, we're still forced to deal fire damage, but at least we won't *see* it if we don't snag the advantages).

Magma Burst is an *advantage*, not the base power.

Eruption's core functionality wasn't AoE damage (it wasn't even AoE before!) or CF application, it was knock for the energy returns and enrage stacking.

Yes, Enrage lasts longer than 10s, but that dramatically slows enrage stack building for boss fights, which is a huge dps hit. (Unskippable cutscenes = drop enrage stacks, yay). Or, you know, every single stupid Forum Malvanum cutscene.

And it means you need to not run out of energy for 10s, then still have the energy necessary to use it at the end of that time. 10s is a long time when you're talking 50 energy spent every 1.5s. The eruption change would make *old skewer* hard to work with, and makes new skewer unplayable.

(Back of the napkin math: an optimized stat distribution Devastator w/ top tier gear has ~135 energy and starts at max. Every 10s they need to have 41 energy available to pop eruption, which takes .83s to happen. That leaves 9.17s during which they have only 94 energy to use. Now, they can use utility gear to decrease cost and cd, but they're not getting the eruption cd under ~7s, and they're not getting costs below half, and they're not doing both of those at the same time, even with the absolute best gear in the game. But even if we assume they magically did, 6.17s is 4 charged Skewers and a slight delay before they can pop the next eruption. At half energy costs they barely have enough energy to use all 4 skewers and pop the eruption, and they better hope the eruption actually fills the energy bar because otherwise that's not sustainable. And that magical world assumes we have like 4 utility core slots and double cdr/cost red on utility gear so we can do extreme cost reduction and extreme cdr at the same time. And that doesn't even address what you do while you're leveling).

I'm serious, these changes make Devastators a one-power AT, and that power is *Brimstone*, which they won't get until 40.

I'm going to ask again: why are we ruining a perfectly functional AT that was extremely fun to play? And why are we shoving the fire stuff down all HW users throats instead of making it more optional?

(And instead of ruining Eruption to create a totally new power, why not turn Earthsplitter into this new power they want, since Eruption was fine as it was, and Earthsplitter is unplayably bad).
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    spinnytop said:

flowcyto said:

Yeah, but it kinda sucks in general for a power to get a drastic nerf to a base stat like that due to a special adv.

It is nice to have an instant, rather cheap melee CF apply that now seems guaranteed. Maybe they could get rid of the AoE/dmg portion of the Magma adv and drop its base cd back down- so ya pick between more dmg from a normal rank, or more utility via CF.

Then Eruption's cd wouldn't necc have to be nerfed for builds not using it for CF or Thermal Reverb. Cause imo the power isn't really worth a 10 sec cd w/o the CF adv. It kinda is justifiable when ya consider that Arc can now refresh it on demand, but if ur not using the entire HW/Fire synergy now, its rather frustrating.

edit- As an example: a typical HW/Fire setup would be something like Enrage + R3 Annihilate + Arc w/ both advs + R2 Eruption w/MB adv + Thermal Reverb. Eruption applies CF, Arc debuffs and refreshes CF, Annihilate is the main filler.

An interesting non-CF HW setup using Eruption could be something like Enrage + R3 Skewer w/ 1pt adv + R3 Eruption + R3 Reaper's Embrace + MSA + any Physical dmg debuffs. But for this option to not be so clunky it'd rely on Eruption having a shorter cd, as Skewer doesn't innately work w/ or help w/ any EUs out there.
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
  • Options
    spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    edited March 2016

Melee isn't supposed to be waiting around a long time for things.

Why? There's really no reason that melee characters can't have long cooldowns on abilities ( and let's be honest, 10 seconds doesn't qualify for a long cooldown... medium at best ).

In case you're wondering, HW wasn't changed because people asked for it( and there are more reasons to make changes to the game than people asking for changes ), it was changed because there's too much Crushing damage in the game, with too many Crushing damage debuffs. HW was changed so that out-of-set Crushing debuffs wouldn't be as useful to it. Instead, its most useful debuff is now in-set; this is likely a standard that you can see the game shifting to - sets having better synergy within themselves so that people can see some more reward for picking a grouping of powers from a given set. Cross-set synergies will of course remain - in fact, HW now has more cross-set synergies than it ever has, which in my opinion makes it a lot more interesting.
    flowcyto said:

Yeah, but it kinda sucks in general for a power to get a drastic nerf to a base stat like that due to a special adv.

It is nice to have an instant, rather cheap melee CF apply that now seems guaranteed. Maybe they could get rid of the AoE/dmg portion of the Magma adv and drop its base cd back down- so ya pick between more dmg from a normal rank, or more utility via CF.

Then Eruption's cd wouldn't necc have to be nerfed for builds not using it for CF or Thermal Reverb. Cause imo the power isn't really worth a 10 sec cd w/o the CF adv. It kinda is justifiable when ya consider that Arc can now refresh it on demand, but if ur not using the entire HW/Fire synergy now, its rather frustrating.

I feel like the trend is more towards making powers more "robust" rather than stripping them down to lower the cost of use ( see 2GM ). With the aoe damage, Erupt is a more versatile power that can be used for more situations. If you remove the aoe it starts to become relegated to a "refresh" power, whose only use is to refresh enrage and/or CF, which to me feels kind of boring. Also don't forget that CF itself adds damage - most people don't pay any mind to just how much damage these little dots add to the use of a power.

I realize that it is painful to have to adjust to such a big change - and it is a big change, no doubt there - but I feel like a little bit down the line when you have adjusted to it, you'll feel like ten seconds isn't really that long and that Eruption just feels cooler when you do use it. After all, if it wasn't worth using then nobody would be complaining about having to wait to use it right?
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    Huh, well my last reply was just baleeted somehow, so thanks for quoting a bit of it :p

Anyways I guess I was just thinking of non-CF HW builds now, and one that could really benefit from a shorter Eruption cd would be something like Enrage + R3 Skewer w/ 1pt adv + R3 Eruption + R3 Reaper's Embrace + MSA + w/e other Physical debuffs. Its nice to have a short cd on Eruption there to help w/ Enrage and MSA, as Skewer itself doesn't innately work w/ or help along w/ any EUs.

I dunno, something so people could choose- just like the entire HW tree now, where it'd be nice to not have to go w/ the Fire supplement. Guess that's the price for making HW's dmg competitive.

edit: on further thought, I'd prob re-balance Eruption's cd somewhere in the middle. A 6-sec base should lower its cd to the 4-4.5 sec range w/ decent CDR now, which is enough to stack ENrage off the 3-4 sec proc icd if ur on point w/ it.
  • Options
    jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,433 Arc User
    It seems the main intent here is to remove Eruption from being a main tool for procing MSA and coercing HW users to only go the thermal reverberation route for building energy? What next, longer CDs for all lunges and Conviction. I used Eruption with invisible weapons on a character for this reason. Now got to rethink that. I wonder if they are going to come up with a real EU for Might next?
    flowcyto said:

So what hurts the most now is Eruption's new 10sec base cd, and Skewer's energy being hiked a bit. The cd hit to Eruption is prob to counteract Magma Burst being at (or near) a 100% CF apply to the primary target now, and I assume Skewer's energy hike was to offset the bleed? Dunno.

JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    If a set is made fully dependent on CF it just needs good options apply and maintain it. To make Annihilate work you already need 2 support powers and 4 (6 if you use eruption) adv points, which means you can at most get r3 on the power that applies CF (r2 on eruption) and r1 on Arc of Ruin. There is no other melee set (except the clunky energy sword powers that almost everyone ignores for just lasersword) that needs that many support powers/advantages just to make the set work. So at the very least those support powers could their effects apply efficiently, and perform well on their own.

Also, CF for single target rotations on bosses in HW is very fragile, Arc of Ruin just has to be delayed for 3 seconds at the wrong moment and you'll and up with having to apply CF again. Comparing this to Bestial (since that set is the closest in having to keep up both a debuff and a DoT all the time), with Massacre you are constantly refreshing all your bleeds, so the only time you are in danger of losing them is when you can't use Massacre for >10 seconds. The only thing you'll have to re-apply for bestial is the shred debuff, which you need to do anyway. That is a reason to give HW a quick option to apply CF again, not a reason to then nerf the power that does that.

Before I even posted in this thread I did do a test run through Andrith ruins using Eruption, and 10 seconds (7.5 seconds actually) just proved to long for me. I was constantly waiting, waiting for CF for energy and to be able to use Annihilate at full effect and waiting for knocks to build Enrage. Of course this could be fixed by adding yet another attack, but that would start taking its toll on utility, and I think the requirements on how many powers to use just to have the set use its intended synergies, and still function, are already strict enough.
  • Options
    roughbearmattachroughbearmattach Posts: 4,784 Arc User

What next, longer CDs for all lunges and Conviction. I used Eruption with invisible weapons on a character for this reason. Now got to rethink that. I wonder if they are going to come up with a real EU for Might next?

Powers with 2-3 sec CDs make MSA too good, too tasty, too choosable. The Dev team is making an effort to make "must have powers for all FF builds" a lot less "must have". It looks like there is an effort, a specific direction, towards making powers work with more particular synergies, usually within a framework. I'm happy to see such a move. I don't love every single change, but the overall direction is something I can get behind.

As for HW and Eruption, there are other HW powers that proc Enrage without cooldown. Annihilate and Skullcrusher both have knocks, and throwing Vicious Descent (w/adv) in once in a while works, too. Heck, one could alternate between between Eruption and Vicious Descent to build stacks of Enrage.

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.
  • Options
    chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    wrong PTS thread but. when is the revamped Void being released? I have a slot waiting for it.​​
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    avianosavianos Posts: 6,028 Arc User
    kaizerin wrote: »
    Eruption's cooldown increased to 10 seconds.
    360.png

Thats not nice
    Firesnake should properly path to the target for realsies.
    Go home Fire snake, you are Drunk!
    [*] Added Extreme Hair to the questionite store.

EXTREME HAIR you say? wait how will this work?
    Can someone post Images?​​
    POWERFRAME REVAMPS, NEW POWERS and BUG FIXES > Recycled Content and Events and even costumes at this point Introvert guy who use CO to make his characters playable and get experimental with Viable FF Theme builds! Running out of Unique FF builds due to the lack of updates and synergiesPlaying since 1 February 2011 98+ Characters (7 ATs, 91 FFs) ALTitis for Life!
  • Options
    It's a port of Hyena-Swine's lovely locks. Kind of an ultra spiky heavy metal mullet.
  • Options
    It's a port of Hyena-Swine's lovely locks. Kind of an ultra spiky heavy metal mullet.

OH MY GOD! I know that piece! Sonic the Hedgehog hair​​
    POWERFRAME REVAMPS, NEW POWERS and BUG FIXES > Recycled Content and Events and even costumes at this point Introvert guy who use CO to make his characters playable and get experimental with Viable FF Theme builds! Running out of Unique FF builds due to the lack of updates and synergiesPlaying since 1 February 2011 98+ Characters (7 ATs, 91 FFs) ALTitis for Life!
  • Options
    carrionbaggagecarrionbaggage Posts: 721 Community Moderator
    BUG:
    • Hyper Voice (all ranks) consumes energy on tap, but deals no damage. This bug was fixed in the previous build, but seems to have re-emerged now that Hyper Voice's rank-up F/X were added. Sonic Boom is still working properly.
  • Options
    Avianos, funny you should say that, I called it a hedgehog wig when first I saw it :)

Extreme Hair also comes with 'fire' texture, which is just it says on the tin :)
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    Still on the Subject of the new Beastial heads, I would like to repeat my Suggestion to add Aditional textures for each one!

the models are GREAT
    the Textures are horrible, they are too grim and realistic and go against CO's cartoonish enviroment. Just compare them to the current heads! They just out of place
    Don't replace them, just add additional options

also, Request, can someone post a picture of the Bull head, its the only piece I haven't seen​​
  • Options
    At least as far as my experience goes, the bull head isn't working yet. More's the pity, as my anthropology bull, Barnaby, could use a head upgrade.
  • Options
    If this should be in the other notes for the first release of the Animal Heads and Tails, let me know, otherwise, since there was continued work in these fixes, I'll just leave it here.

I'm not too picky about the realistic textures, but I've noticed, thanks to some friends, that there isn't a lot of pattern customization in some of the heads. Mainly, I'd love to see a color-pattern on the otter head where the underside of the snout can be colored. This would allow it a little more leeway for things other than... Just being an otter (having a character that's a stoat, it'd be a godsend instead of resorting to the werewolf monstrous 1 head since it gives me the two-color snout). I'd also love to see a spotted cat head, something like a leopard/jaguar, too. You've got the tiger and the lion, take that last step?
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    Ok i got pictures, SPEACIAL THANKS to @Sharks ingame for providing screenshots~
    everyone now can see them

1293f5a57aa288890729f055e8a49552.png48efc83b2c9453298ab96a6d0b0dc066.pngff720cc228f7da6d5bc21f522cacc084.png3f1c9fc1eeb344f1c63cded7e7774e5c.pnga0f76502d4cbbc7831e89a1b6a4259d6.pngae02b0f3b5ff31551a0ae0373de5dca9.png4e9dc7eaf5c4393ed1030c7890693dbf.png64f7ce832e04bfba40449b5d46fdd8d7.png1ac0c32bdff2fc48c6407be8c9a9f629.png

aaaahhh Asymmetrical Pictures! i CANNOT align them together D:
    This Lion is MAJESTIC! I have two of my lion characters ingame, and I have to say OH MY GOD! Someone Notify Stellario he will more than happy for his Main

As you can see, most of them are still WIP and they don't even have eyes​​
    Post edited by avianos on
  • Options
    spinnytop said:

Why? There's really no reason that melee characters can't have long cooldowns on abilities ( and let's be honest, 10 seconds doesn't qualify for a long cooldown... medium at best ).

In case you're wondering, HW wasn't changed because people asked for it( and there are more reasons to make changes to the game than people asking for changes ), it was changed because there's too much Crushing damage in the game, with too many Crushing damage debuffs. HW was changed so that out-of-set Crushing debuffs wouldn't be as useful to it. Instead, its most useful debuff is now in-set; this is likely a standard that you can see the game shifting to - sets having better synergy within themselves so that people can see some more reward for picking a grouping of powers from a given set. Cross-set synergies will of course remain - in fact, HW now has more cross-set synergies than it ever has, which in my opinion makes it a lot more interesting.

1. That's a terrible trend, it's killing cross-set synergies and pretty much forcing people to play within powersets. That's been a problem all along with most of the EUs - why do you think so many people choose to use MSA? Because its the only one which works cross powerset and isn't awful. The move towards debuffs being increasingly set-specific just kills build diversity and turns FFs into glorified ATs with slightly more choices. That's terrible for build diversity.

2. It's also creating more specific mandatory power options. Arc of Ruin is now pretty much required to play a HW toon, and not only that, the specific advantage No Quarter is pretty much required. The Eruption change itself pretty much requires you to take Magma Eruption or you might as well not use the power at all. That's the opposite of choice and build diversity.

3. HW does not have more cross-set synergies now. Melee/Ranged is a terrible hybrid, so there is virtually no fire/hw cross-set synergy. All the incentives encourage you to stick with pure fire or with pure HW powersets.
    spinnytop said:

I feel like the trend is more towards making powers more "robust" rather than stripping them down to lower the cost of use ( see 2GM ). With the aoe damage, Erupt is a more versatile power that can be used for more situations. If you remove the aoe it starts to become relegated to a "refresh" power, whose only use is to refresh enrage and/or CF, which to me feels kind of boring. Also don't forget that CF itself adds damage - most people don't pay any mind to just how much damage these little dots add to the use of a power.

I realize that it is painful to have to adjust to such a big change - and it is a big change, no doubt there - but I feel like a little bit down the line when you have adjusted to it, you'll feel like ten seconds isn't really that long and that Eruption just feels cooler when you do use it. After all, if it wasn't worth using then nobody would be complaining about having to wait to use it right?

Except its not making Eruption more robust, it's stripping away all the functionality it used to have. All of it. It's not useful in more situations, it's 'useful' (i use the word lightly) in totally different situations, and no longer useful in the way it was before. And that is breaking the Devastator AT completely.

It was an energy battery power and enrage stacker, and it only functions like that with a 3s or less cd. With a 10s cd it can no longer do that job at all.

And we need 'boring' powers to make builds work. I mean, sure, if you want to make HW FFs feel less like HW characters and use uppercut instead, great, but that means one of your mandatory build-enabling powers isn't even in your framework (and looks weird because you drop your ginormous axe just for that?), and the HW AT doesn't even have that option. And with the trend towards 'you want to stay within powerset', we'll see how long that lasts.

Clinging flames is junk damage, btw, and since it doesn't stack, any subsequent application of CF is lost damage.

It's not painful to adjust to, it's impossible to adjust to. There is no replacement power for old Eruption in the Devastator AT or even the HW powerset. And we're not complaining about waiting because its worthwhile, we're complaining about waiting because waiting 10s makes it not worthwhile. It was worthwhile because it made builds work at 3s. Now it doesn't make builds work, and so it is no longer worthwhile with that cd.
  • Options

Sounds like you folks need to stop crying over the power changes, and find a way to adapt to them. :smirk:

Devastator ATs who want to use Skewer cannot adapt. The AT is officially broken.

Powers with 2-3 sec CDs make MSA too good, too tasty, too choosable. The Dev team is making an effort to make "must have powers for all FF builds" a lot less "must have". It looks like there is an effort, a specific direction, towards making powers work with more particular synergies, usually within a framework. I'm happy to see such a move. I don't love every single change, but the overall direction is something I can get behind.

As for HW and Eruption, there are other HW powers that proc Enrage without cooldown. Annihilate and Skullcrusher both have knocks, and throwing Vicious Descent (w/adv) in once in a while works, too. Heck, one could alternate between between Eruption and Vicious Descent to build stacks of Enrage.

I think this is a terrible direction for development. If they want to see less MSA, *make more EUs that aren't framework specific* (start by fixing Overdrive's scaling and buffing it so it feels competitive). People want to play cross-framework characters, and telling them they can't is against the very philosophy of having freeform as an option. Might as well strip Freeform from the game if that's the goal.

But this isn't even about MSA. HW didn't even *need* MSA. Eruption was about energy management in general.

And Devastators (1) don't have annihilate, (2) can't choose skewer and skullcrusher at the same time, (3) vicious descent now trades off with their lunge that actually works on a low cd so they can actually stay in melee range of fleeing opponents. Skewer in particular is totally useless because of the Eruption change, even if they weren't increasing its energy cost *by over 50%*.

(That last is for FFs too - Annihilate totally outclasses it in damage, and Brimstone ouclasses it in AoE - when Skewer costs about as much energy as Annihilate for something like 30-40% less damage against bosses, it's not even a choice, especially when Annihilate will solve its own energy problem).

And regardless, why should we make HW have one of the most convoluted power rotations just to proc enrage stacks? FFs can just grab Uppercut or Rising Knee. It's the AT that will unavoidably suffer for it. (And anyone who is bothered by dropping their weapon to get a useable knock in their power rotation).
  • Options
    riveroceanriverocean Posts: 1,690 Arc User

Sounds like you folks need to stop crying over the power changes, and find a way to adapt to them. :smirk:

AT's can't adapt to power changes easily. Their powers are locked in. And this is a premium AT we are concerned about not a free one.. so you have to be gold or purchase it as a silver. That is a SERIOUS concern because breaking an AT that it costs money to purchase, should be avoided. And again that's what PTS is for to TEST things out to make sure they work as intended.
    Questions About AT Play? Visit Silverwolfx11's Updated AT Guides!
  • Options
    roughbearmattachroughbearmattach Posts: 4,784 Arc User
    Brimstone procs Enrage quite nicely, too. In fact, on my main (a FF tank), it is how Enrage is procced.

The issue with MSA isn't just about framework, it's about something that simply outclasses so many other choices. The time of "must have powers" is coming to an end.

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.
  • Options
    notyuunotyuu Posts: 1,121 Arc User
    BUG
    Still unable to select holy-water power, even as my last power.

and no, it's not because that toon wasn't there to unlock it, as I am capable of selecting soul vortex...and the fact that I'm unable to take holy-water as a power makes it kinda hard to...you know...test the colour chaning feature.
    In all things, a calm heart must prevail.

Member of Paragon Dawn: Because some people like friendly helpful communities.

eOGi6Cv.png9rfvawn.pngr3iD4nS.png

Yeah some things are broken... no I don't use/abuse them.. where would be the fun in that?
  • Options
    rap9rap9 Posts: 40 Arc User
    Don't see how MSA is a must-have since the CD reduction nerf dismissed INT as a must-have-always-superior-choice, but part of the issue has always been the lack of energy unlocks in sets, like with MA until the recent new one and right now for instance the current absence of a Might version.

Also, 'you get energy when you do this with this set only' is incredibly boring for putting together a diverse build. So much better when they're structured around things other sets can potentially do, even if not as well.
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    avianos said:

Ok i got pictures, SPEACIAL THANKS to @Sharks ingame for providing screenshots~

everyone now can see them

1293f5a57aa288890729f055e8a49552.png48efc83b2c9453298ab96a6d0b0dc066.pngff720cc228f7da6d5bc21f522cacc084.png3f1c9fc1eeb344f1c63cded7e7774e5c.pnga0f76502d4cbbc7831e89a1b6a4259d6.pngae02b0f3b5ff31551a0ae0373de5dca9.png4e9dc7eaf5c4393ed1030c7890693dbf.png64f7ce832e04bfba40449b5d46fdd8d7.png1ac0c32bdff2fc48c6407be8c9a9f629.png

aaaahhh Asymmetrical Pictures! i CANNOT align them together D:

This Lion is MAJESTIC! I have two of my lion characters ingame, and I have to say OH MY GOD! Someone Notify Stellario he will more than happy for his Main

As you can see, most of them are still WIP and they don't even have eyes​​

That lion head! :love:
    That bull head! :love:
    I see male fox, dog, and hyena heads have customizable eyes, as does the bull head.
    Though it pains me to not have unlocked some heads. Any pictures of the Kitsune 3-Tail tail?
  • Options
    sanguinevipersanguineviper Posts: 451 Arc User
    edited March 2016
    Sooo, HW energy unlock when? I feel like we really should probably have one of those thrown in soon so everyone stops having existential crises. The whole, better in-set power pick reward/rotation thing kind of hinges on having our EU for the set we're using actually be in the set.

Snark never dies.
This discussion has been closed.