Install Arc
Options

Four-Legged Heroes.

13»

Comments

• Options
    biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Arc User
    a1fighter said:

My issue is with comments that contradict themselves.

"Centaurs do not fit" but they are in the comic universe, along with other mythology characters.

"Fantasy does not fit in CO" Despite the fact that wizards and sorcerers are concepts for archetypes.

The main problem is that you are not understanding things at all. Like this:

"Centaurs don't fit." You're using that as some straight-up fact with no context whatsoever. What I and others have been saying is Centaurs don't fit as a main character race. In superhero comics, they are a tiny, tiny minority and a totally fringe feature, and as such, don't belong as a main feature of the game.

"Fantasy does not fit in CO." Here, you're making things up. I never said this. I don't think any person in this thread did. What has been said: "Fantasy elements are usually only a small part of comic book universe settings." Some main characters could be fantasy-based, but they're still a minority to other, larger origins, such as everything based on modern and future origins, which seem to take the lion's share.

I also said that in my opinion, there's too much fantasy-based stuff in Champions already. You're not going to tell me that my opinion is wrong, are you?
    biffsig.jpg
  • Options
    themightyzeniththemightyzenith Posts: 4,599 Arc User
    edited November 2015

The main problem is that you are not understanding things at all.

I'm pretty sure they get it Biff. It's just disingenuousness taken to new heights.

The OP doesn't seem to want to gather the opinions of other players but rather just try to steamroll his/her idea regardless. It's been pretty clear from their second post.
    zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods
  • Options
    a1fighter said:

You're using that as some straight-up fact with no context whatsoever. What I and others have been saying is Centaurs don't fit as a main character race. In superhero comics, they are a tiny, tiny minority and a totally fringe feature, and as such, don't belong as a main feature of the game.

lets use your logic, I know a few shark humanoids, King Shark does not appear to be a Bat-Man/Superman cameo guy, mostly a unknown villain, most people may not be aware of his existence; but behold, Shark people are available in CO. The only Bear I recall is Ursa Major, but he appears to be a shapeshifter iirc.

Bipedal shark people are available to players because they're a feature in the game and the developers thought it would be a good idea to let players be that.
    a1fighter said:

"Centaurs do not fit as main character race"

Whom is the "Main Race" in comics, there appear to be a lot of them.

Is this a joke? Humans. The main team is built up of mostly humans. You rarely see shark people running around. Sure there are monsters out there but most of what I've seen are humans and human-looking superheroes.
    a1fighter said:

marvel.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Races

dc.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Races

Guess we could discriminate, so some folks would be left out, also, centaurs fall under races that are native to olympus. Someone like superman falls under Alien, but is a kryptonian.

I am going to help you out a little ;) , CO has very few races or species, and mythical creatures are not one of them.

http://championsonline.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Races

However, tell that to our playerbase.

primusdatabase.com/index.php?title=Category:Species

Did you just look at the pictures or did you see that list of fifty or so different races?

Regardless, you'll still find more humans than any other race in the game whether you're talking players or NPCs. They're the main race.
    a1fighter said:

My point is, you cannot deny players freedom of imagination. I have a blank faced saiyan character in-game, which i posted in the costume thread, lol. Whether it "Fits" or not, in games like this, MMOs, you could run into Kanye, Ash Ketchum, Cam Newton, or Rupaul.

This is a strawman argument. I never said I wanted to limit player creativity. Refer to my comments about the snake with arms and legs.

Player creativity is not the same as adding overly-complicated nearly-useless parts that don't fit the theme of the game or genre into the game.
    a1fighter said:

In order to keep things in "Balance" a game will have to be more like Star Wars Battlefront.

gamespot.com/articles/star-wars-battlefront-has-customization-but-with-l/1100-6427863/

"We won't be letting players create purple Stormtroopers or change Darth Vader's suit color etc."

However, you are correct, you never said fantasy does not fit, but rather, implied it.

No, I didn't imply it. You mistakenly inferred it while you were misunderstanding the rest of my posts.
    biffsig.jpg
  • Options
    kemmicalskemmicals Posts: 853 Arc User
    Can we shut this down already? This argument's getting kinda sad.
  • Options
    Humans aren't a "small feature" in comics because there are a lot of them. I didn't say fantasy origins were a small part simply because it's one of twenty different choices, it's small because there's not a lot of them compared to everyone else.

Let me put it this way. Say you have two possible origins. Future, and Fantasy. They're equal in that regard. Now, say you have a thousand characters. two of them are of a future origin. Even though they're 50% of the origins, they're still just a small slice of all the available characters. This is why humans are the main race, because most main comic book characters are human or very human in appearance (Thor and Superman, for example).

If you can't understand that, then I totally give up on this discussion.

So no, I'm not going to agree with you on the whole "Hypothetically, Four-leggers are possible in the realm of CO (Because they are in comics), as others have alluded to. However, imo, I don't care for them because they appear to play a small role in comics, hence that does not mean we should play as them." because I've already told you my opinion, and you've done absolutely nothing to budge it.
    a1fighter said:

Arguing that they can not exist in a fantasy super hero comic is silly (because they exist in comics), arguing that they must is silly as-well, because they don't have to. They can, but don't have to. That was my only beef with your comments, implying that they can't.

And this... Seriously, come on. I never said they can't, and I never implied it. This is the main problem, you don't understand things other people are saying. If this is your only beef with my comments, then it's all in your head, because what I've been saying this whole time is that in my opinion, they shouldn't. Don't try to read into my posts as if they have some kind of double meaning, because you're coming up empty ever single time.

Now, I'm done talking to you about this because I'm fairly certain you're gonna read this post, completely misunderstand it, argue against things you think I said. However, I'm not going to close the thread just because people are annoyed by the discussion going on, so feel free to continue.
    biffsig.jpg
  • Options
    championshewolfchampionshewolf Posts: 4,375 Arc User
    Humans make up the majority of super heroes in comics, either inheriting powers or doing some ridiculous form of training that puts them far above the human norm. But they are still human.​​
    Champions Online player since September of 2008, forumite since February of 2008.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    a1fighter said:

I was going to leave it alone Biff, but going to shut this down once and for all.....

"Um... we're talking Mad Super Science, not science. Turning into a robot or powered suit would be a bit out of theme for Teleios, but other than that, anything goes."

"In terms of existing powers, it would be really easy to fit Teleiosaurus and Qwyjibo into the Onslaught content."

Your response....

"Yup. I liked the days when the only explanation anyone needed was "It's comics."

Care to explain?

What's this have to do with anything? If this has anything to do with centaurs, you've shown time and again that you're incapable of understanding what I say, so I won't bother explaining it to you.

If not, here it is in a nutshell. It refers to questions like "Why can the Flash run so fast without bursting into a ball of flame from the friction?" Writers tend to try to explain things like that by saying "Oh, he doesn't just have the power to run fast, he has the Speed Force, which protects him from all that stuff." People used to just accept stuff like that because it's comics. Why can someone shoot lightning out of their eyes? It's comics, don't worry trying to explain it.
    biffsig.jpg
  • Options
    championshewolfchampionshewolf Posts: 4,375 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    I don't even know why you bother with links when you factually know that the majority of super heroes in comics are human. This is what known as grasping at straws and is getting a tad ridiculous. No you aren't making any proof of the matter.

Batman - Human
    Flash - Human
    Green Lantern (all 3 of them) - Human
    Wonder Woman - Human
    Green Arrow - Human
    Shazam - Human
    Cyborg - Human
    Superman - Alien
    Martian Manhunter - Alien
    Raven - Human
    Robin/Nightwing (All of them) - Human
    Red Hood - Human
    Deathstroke - Human
    Beast Boy - Human
    Star Fire - Alien
    Zatana - Human

Wolverine - Human
    Rogue - Human
    Hulk - Human
    Captain America - Human
    Iron Man - Human
    Spiderman - Human
    Mr. Fantastic - Human
    Invisible Woman - Human
    Human Torch - Human
    The Thing - Human
    Professor X - Human
    Angel - Human
    Cyclops - Human
    Thor - Asgardian/Alien (depends on your take and version. For instance the new Thor is human and female)
    Silver Surfer - Alien
    Deadpool - Human
    Doctor Strange - Human

Notice a pattern? DC side the aliens in the big names are outnumbered by a factor of at least 3 to 19 so far and I have really only been skimming the top echelon that people know about. In Marvel the Aliens are outnumbered even further, and one of them can be considered human now because the new Thor is human that has inherited the power of Thor.​​
    Champions Online player since September of 2008, forumite since February of 2008.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    Oh my god.

I didn't explain? I explained perfectly what that line meant. I even gave examples.

The reason "it's comics" doesn't pertain to this stupid centaur discussion is because centaurs in comics don't need to be explained. They exist in comics, that's fine. I have no problem with them. Do you understand that? My points were never about "Centaurs shouldn't be playable because I don't know how anyone could ever explain it." Like I said on page one, it's a tiny niche race that's rarely used in comics, probably never used in superhero comics as the main, superhero protagonist, and that is why they don't make a good fit for a choice in character creation.

Ugh, I should have just stuck to my guns and not answered like I said I would. Your lack of comprehension is astounding.
    biffsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    a1fighter said:

Biff is waaay better at this than you lol

Yeah you're right, he is.......he's also waaaay better at this than you (add passive aggressive "lol").
    kemmicals said:

Can we shut this down already? This argument's getting kinda sad.

Agreed. Put it out of it's misery.

Post edited by themightyzenith on
    zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods
  • Options
    edited November 2015

I don't even know why you bother with links when you factually know that the majority of super heroes in comics are human. This is what known as grasping at straws and is getting a tad ridiculous. No you aren't making any proof of the matter.
    ​​

Agreed.
    a1fighter said:

Thought this thread was dead...... (Add Qoute "This thread died a long time ago. "lol").

It is, it died on the first page. But you kept going regardless.

But please, don't let that fact stop you from going on and on with circular reasoning and deliberate misunderstandings.
    zrdRBy8.png
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    a1fighter said:

As did you, thanks for the bump. Too easy.

Well, I guess you just showed what you are about. Bumps=/= winning anything.

Sure, let's stop....

zrdRBy8.png
  • Options
    roughbearmattachroughbearmattach Posts: 4,784 Arc User
    In the thread title, "heroes" is spelled incorrectly.

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.