test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Who wants to be a villian?

Comments

• xrazamaxxrazamax Posts: 979 Arc User
    ladygadfly wrote: »
    This is a great idea, we'll get right on it :P.

I C Wat U Did Thar.

Hopefully people enjoy this so that it can be expanded in the future, maybe letting players use their own toons or nemesis.
  • cynicoolcynicool Posts: 160 Arc User
    I'm really at the point where I think to myself "If I could just stomp around and crush people with a Supervillain over and over again, why would I play my other characters?"​​
    10dsf81.png
  • KagamiTheMagicalCatGerlKagamiTheMagicalCatGerl Posts: 357 Arc User
    cynicool wrote: »
    I'm really at the point where I think to myself "If I could just stomp around and crush people with a Supervillain over and over again, why would I play my other characters?"​​

Because it's temporary and you have to wait until you get another one. :smiley:
    That is the only reason.​​
    10dsf81.png
    cynicool wrote: »
    That is the only reason.​​

It's the only reason you need :smiley:
  • chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    they're not going to sink a few million into anything unless the money comes in first.
    we've already been told, no cross subsidizing between games. we get what is in our budget from what comes in.​​
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
    chaelk wrote: »
    they're not going to sink a few million into anything unless the money comes in first.
    we've already been told, no cross subsidizing between games. we get what is in our budget from what comes in.​​

But conspiracy! Embezzlement! Extortion! NWO! STO! Illuminati! 100% Confirmed! Cryptic was the second gunman! PWE is aliens!!! :worried:
  • nextnametakennextnametaken Posts: 2,212 Arc User
    The COH Villain element should be eradicated. We should drive them into the sun, round them up with robots, send them to another dimension, shrink them and keep them in jars, give them solitary confinement watching that episode of twilight zone "Time enough at last" until they pass into the Outer Limits.

No Mercy. No Tolerance. The COH Foe has got to go.
    The COH Villain element should be eradicated. We should drive them into the sun, round them up with robots, send them to another dimension, shrink them and keep them in jars, give them solitary confinement watching that episode of twilight zone "Time enough at last" until they pass into the Outer Limits.

so what you're saying is

Say NO to Foes​​

• nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User

Ahh but that would mean no Nepht and as we all know I am the reason everyone plays.

cat1_1689.jpg

nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
    edited August 2015

To be good you need evil

Only evil people say this. You can be good without any evil, just by being good. Just because you no longer feel the need to define your behavior as part of a system of two opposites doesn't mean it ceases being good.

Light is still light, even if you've never seen darkness or heard of the word "light". Things do not need an opposite to define them...

For example, what is the opposite of "bacon"? There isn't an opposite of bacon... so how did we ever manage to call bacon anything? :open_mouth:
    Also, it's kind of a goofy argument to make when there is plenty of evil, AKA the people we beat up to get EXP.​​
    10dsf81.png
    edited August 2015
    If we going to have a become villain devices shouldnt this game mode have the following becomes based on COs greatest bad guys:

Become Next Name Taken device that gives you the ability to take screenshots of the games population at 5.32 am while running around screaming DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!

Become Caliga device where you force people to look at you while you stand about and do nothing.

Become Kagami device where you gain the ability to beat people to death with the physical manifestations of emotes.

Become Smackwell device where you the gain the power to tell everyone to SHUT THE &^%$ UP!

Become Navi device that lets you acquire the power of getting offended by boobs.

And last but not least the Become Xeno device that grants you the power of Git Gud to gank all the filthy casuals!

*EDIT* I almost forgot Champion Online's greatest ever villain Stormshade.

The become Stormshade device would give you the ability to go to other forums and randomly post " DONT BE A D***! "
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..

To be good you need evil

Only evil people say this. You can be good without any evil, just by being good. Just because you no longer feel the need to define your behavior as part of a system of two opposites doesn't mean it ceases being good.

Light is still light, even if you've never seen darkness or heard of the word "light". Things do not need an opposite to define them...

For example, what is the opposite of "bacon"? There isn't an opposite of bacon... so how did we ever manage to call bacon anything? :open_mouth:

Bacon is an object a substance based in reality, were as I was speaking in a more abstract metaphoric sense. Good and evil are basic forces in the universe and just like most they have a counter balance to each other.

They're really not forces. And they're certainly not basic to the universe. They're words... words that people in general tend to disagree heavily on. For instance, ask a militant feminist about their definition of evil and you're likely to get a very different answer than the one you get from an Amish farmer. Ask someone you consider evil to point at the nearest evil person... guess what, they probably didn't point to themselves or anybody in their particular group. Some people will call a given act evil, and others will call that same act good.

Given all this, how can good or evil be universal forces? What in the universe is defining them? Considering how blurry their definitions are, how can we even call them opposing forces when they overlap so often?
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    If you need some great Evil in order to motivate you to be a Hero, this game provides that in spades. Westside is attached to a gleaming City of the Future - but all aid poured into that neighborhood is immediately absorbed by the ongoing wars among the four major gangs, which are obviously stealing it to purchase high-end weaponry that the Bloods and Crips of the old days could scarcely even dream of. Canada is beset by an encroaching evil, an ancient god bent on freezing the world solid and destroying all life. VIPER, in their worship of another Old One, commits crimes of vivisection and murder on a daily basis. DEMON seeks to turn this world over to the control of what is basically Satan. The Burning Sands region, in New Mexico, is under assault by forces that follow either the evil Dr. Destroyer, or the even worse Shadow Destroyer, and have no qualms about twisting human life to serve them. Lemuria is falling into the shadow of another Old One, a Cthulhu-expy. And Vibora Bay is playing host to the Biblical Apocalypse, as the half-angel, half-demon Therakiel seeks to bring about the quite literal End of the World in order to be freed from his imprisonment there.

There ya go. Should be Evil enough to support an arbitrarily large number of Heroes. No need for you to play a villain's sidekick (because the nature of online gaming kind of prohibits proactive plotting, so you can't really play a proper villain, all you can do is react to the heroes or follow an NPC villain's instructions. Heroes are reactive, villains proactive).​​
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    jonsills wrote: »
    If you need some great Evil in order to motivate you to be a Hero, this game provides that in spades. Westside is attached to a gleaming City of the Future - but all aid poured into that neighborhood is immediately absorbed by the ongoing wars among the four major gangs, which are obviously stealing it to purchase high-end weaponry that the Bloods and Crips of the old days could scarcely even dream of. Canada is beset by an encroaching evil, an ancient god bent on freezing the world solid and destroying all life. VIPER, in their worship of another Old One, commits crimes of vivisection and murder on a daily basis. DEMON seeks to turn this world over to the control of what is basically Satan. The Burning Sands region, in New Mexico, is under assault by forces that follow either the evil Dr. Destroyer, or the even worse Shadow Destroyer, and have no qualms about twisting human life to serve them. Lemuria is falling into the shadow of another Old One, a Cthulhu-expy. And Vibora Bay is playing host to the Biblical Apocalypse, as the half-angel, half-demon Therakiel seeks to bring about the quite literal End of the World in order to be freed from his imprisonment there.

There ya go. Should be Evil enough to support an arbitrarily large number of Heroes. No need for you to play a villain's sidekick (because the nature of online gaming kind of prohibits proactive plotting, so you can't really play a proper villain, all you can do is react to the heroes or follow an NPC villain's instructions. Heroes are reactive, villains proactive).​​

And despite all of this I still just feel like a paid assassin >.>
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    jonsills wrote: »

There ya go. Should be Evil enough to support an arbitrarily large number of Heroes. No need for you to play a villain's sidekick (because the nature of online gaming kind of prohibits proactive plotting, so you can't really play a proper villain, all you can do is react to the heroes or follow an NPC villain's instructions. Heroes are reactive, villains proactive).

And despite all of this I still just feel like a paid assassin >.>
    That's 'cause you are a paid assassin, Spinny. It's just that UNTIL pays better than VIPER.​​
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
  • meedacthunistmeedacthunist Posts: 2,961 Arc User1
    edited August 2015
    Implement some lvl 1 kitty and puppy npcs and allow players for attacking and killing them.

Instant villain play.

/thread​​
  • crypticarkaynecrypticarkayne Posts: 182 Cryptic Developer
    Implement some lvl 1 kitty and puppy npcs and allow players for attacking and killing them.

Instant villain play.

/thread​​

"Okay, if you guys are so evil, why don't you just... Eat this kitten!"

Name that quote! :smile:

Instant villain play.

/thread​​

I would love to take the minigun to some kittens ._.

• gaelyn1gaelyn1 Posts: 193 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    dialamx wrote: »
    People seem to forget, CoV was an unfinished rush job. Cryptic said a few times that NCSoft pushed them to get it out, which forced them to scrap most of their plans for it. Personally, I'd love to see a Nemesis Online game that ties into CO, where Cryptic has the chance to do everything they didn't get to do with CoV. Of course, given the current state of CO, I don't see a playable villain side ever coming out. At this point I'd be happy if they put a little effort into the current Nemesis system.

Wow, wow, wow. Don't go too fast.
    They already give a kind of "monster play device". You're too much faster. Give them some more years.
  • falzeprophetfalzeprophet Posts: 14 Arc User
    Everyone I have come across here is a villain, greedy, arrogant, disrespectful to new players (insulting them at alerts/spamming duels/etc.). 3 out of hundreds of questions I've asked have been answered by some one. I come on to the forums and can't find anything useful to know just a bunch of children bickering over the same thing in every post. If you really want to save someone get over yourselves and start helping new players, most vet players here just seem to stand around anyway. Instead of insulting a player who is struggling in an alert, message them and give advice. If you continue to be rude to new players, it will just be vet player hang out. No new players means no new money, and no money equals dead projects. I've had 3 friends drop in the last month, I'm a gold player and am deciding weather or not to bother renewing....YOU'RE ALL KILLING YOUR WORLD.
    If perception is reality, then you're just a point of view.
    Rude to new players(and they are rude to each other too), disrespect means lack of respect. Respect is earned not given out for free.
    Most Level 40 players are standing around because there is sweet FA to do at level 40. And just because they have a level 40, it does not mean they are a veteran player since it doesn't take much time to level a character.

Tried that;
    "MY character I'll do what I want."
    "mind your own business."
    " shut up Noob"
    Some listen and try it, most don't. One person kept asking for help in zone and refused to try anything told and wouldn't even group with anyone so that they could see what they were doing wrong. Then went on the steam forums and posted about how he got no help at all.

I Stick up for a level 12 character when someone tells them off for not using enough attacks. Get a rude message from the player of the level 12 saying " I'm not 12, I'm 21 and I 'm looking after my younger brother... and then got into insults and put me on ignore. Yep, real lot of good that was.

Me,I'm usually out levelling outs and I answer questions when they are asked.

This is general discussion , more commonly know as General arguments.
    Under Items and crafting- you'll find the item prefix thread, under combat and powers you'll find the Spec tree thread. both are stickied.
    There's also an alert thread and a nemesis thread, done by Luna, under Missions and content.

• biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Arc User

Everyone I have come across here is a villain, greedy, arrogant, disrespectful to new players (insulting them at alerts/spamming duels/etc.). 3 out of hundreds of questions I've asked have been answered by some one. I come on to the forums and can't find anything useful to know just a bunch of children bickering over the same thing in every post. If you really want to save someone get over yourselves and start helping new players, most vet players here just seem to stand around anyway. Instead of insulting a player who is struggling in an alert, message them and give advice. If you continue to be rude to new players, it will just be vet player hang out. No new players means no new money, and no money equals dead projects. I've had 3 friends drop in the last month, I'm a gold player and am deciding weather or not to bother renewing....YOU'RE ALL KILLING YOUR WORLD.

Shouldn't generalize the entire population based on a few knuckleheads. Some of us are happy to help, and if all you get is dimwits in chat, try the forums. We can squash the knuckleheads here. :)
    biffsig.jpg
    edited August 2015
    World ain't kindergarten. Including game worlds as well.

If you think CO is vitriolic, then you may avoid any mmo game. CO's pretty tame.

Everything what chalk said.

Also, nobody's obligated to be a "savior".​​
  • spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    edited August 2015

arrogant and disrespectful... I feel like I just read something that embodies those attributes.... and that it might be quoted in this post :)
  • falzeprophetfalzeprophet Posts: 14 Arc User
    With the exception of Biff, I had the type of responses I expected. I play a ton of missions and alerts and understand that between paying attention to your own game going on you have to dig through a lot of mindless (yet fun) gibberish on chat and miss a lot of things that are said. With what little I have learned I've managed to help a few people with questions. I also agree it's not your responsibility to teach new people, but for the few seconds that it would take to pm an answer, you could help the community grow. One thing is certain, if other new players feel the same way I do, you are playing a dying game. I truly enjoy the game itself, left DC and have searched for something to fill my hero game hunger, and this has taken it up a level through creativity and ingenuity, especially if there are only 3 developers (what I heard said in chat). The game puts interact items in odd places and you have to be on top of them before they shimmer. Other times a mission will not have a number and the quest arrow doesn't show up, some are ques others are on a different map. Point is until you've run a few missions this is a difficult game to learn, and being insulted and having your questions ignored adds to the aggravation. That's why people leave, and that's why games fail.
    If perception is reality, then you're just a point of view.
    Maybe someone ingame should open custom chat channel for newbies, except a new player has no knowledge about custom channels. Asking about anything in Zone will (almost) never work. It's flooded with randomness.
    Asking for help in PMs is very likely to end with no result because either someone is afk, or their PMs are flooded.​​
    I doubt most people think as you do. I have quite consistently heard people say that this game has a good community. Even the PvPers are eager to help if you approach them politely for advice. I think your experience may have more to do with your attitude than that of the community.
  • reiwulfreiwulf Posts: 442 Arc User
    I'm not really interested in playing a villain to be honest. An antihero could be interesting but not a full blown villain.
    natesig.jpg

1. you do realize, new people on silver accounts can't even talk in zone or pm or mail for 20hrs.
    2. I have created a general chat channel and broadcast announcements for new people to join including instructions. Nobody did.
    3. if your looking for useful threads, you look under general GAMEPLAY, not general discussion. The threads I listed in my last post are useful ones in that area.
    4. to repeat, the most common response to an offer to help is, insults.​​

Look everyone likes playing as teh bad guy. look at how all the nubs are hyped for MGS V even though **** Konami -_-"

Wario games, Saints Row , GTA and half of the Metal Gear games wouldnt be a thing if there wasnt a market for evil.
    edited August 2015
    I can never force myself to enjoy playing a villain.

Even when I play Total War I'm killing barbarians and depopulating cities in the name of Good, Civilisation and the Right Way of Life.

Playing a villain is not something for me... Someone needs to murder all the baddies. RtcjLDn.gif​​
    nepht said:

Look everyone likes playing as teh bad guy. look at how all the nubs are hyped for MGS V even though **** Konami -_-"

Wario games, Saints Row , GTA and half of the Metal Gear games wouldnt be a thing if there wasnt a market for evil.

I've never seen a game where you can actually play a villain. I've seen a lot of games where you play someone whose objectives happen to run counter to those of others... in which case you're simply playing a participant in a conflict or war.

Still waiting for "Terrible Person Simulator".
  • biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Arc User
    spinnytop said:

I've never seen a game where you can actually play a villain. I've seen a lot of games where you play someone whose objectives happen to run counter to those of others... in which case you're simply playing a participant in a conflict or war.

Try Evil Genius. That was a fun game.

I can't remember if you actually did evil deeds but that's who you play, anyway.
    biffsig.jpg

spinnytop said:

Try Evil Genius. That was a fun game.

I can't remember if you actually did evil deeds but that's who you play, anyway.
    That game is silly though u3u
    Fallout New Vegas lets you side with a bunch of rapist slavers to rule the wasteland with an iron fist. You can be an amazing bastard in that game.​​
    10dsf81.png
  • beezeezebeezeeze Posts: 927 Arc User
    what about GTA?

• kemmicalskemmicals Posts: 853 Arc User
    I'd play a villain as long as it's a fun one. The bombastic evil genius kind that doesn't end up creeping me out immensely.
  • quasimojo1quasimojo1 Posts: 642 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    spinnytop said:

Here you go: Everyday Misanthrope, the game about making people miserable

Yer welcome!
    LTS since 2009. Author of ACT parser module for CO. Founder of Rampagers. Resident curmudgeon.

"Without data, you're just another person with an opinion." -- W. Edwards Deming
    edited September 2015
    you will just have to try it for your self when they get it up and going down the line.

Sure, in Valiance or CoT, if/when they're made. Sure as hell there will be no playable villain faction for CO like... Ever.

quasimojo1 wrote: »
    Everyday Misanthrope, the game about making people miserable

Thank you, this is brilliant.​​