test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

no new contents and expansion for years?

i really loved COH\V at the time and i played a little COH so i want to be Life but...
i have LIFEsub on TSW and the dev release new 3 dlc every year but it look like it wont happening to this game and i don't want to be life in a dying game (done it already with hellgate few years ago)

so what can you advice?

thanks.
james crow

Comments

• Options
    biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Arc User
    There have been additions to the game almost every year. Last year we had the Mechanon missions. They weren't huge, but there they are. There's currently some content in the works. The development team has just changed, and so far they've been making some good changes and adding new ideas and they seem to want to push the game forward. I wouldn't say it's a bad time to go lifetime, but if you're really worried about it, wait until the new content is released, and you can get a feel for what the new developers can do, and wait for the next sale if you like it.
    biffsig.jpg
  • Options
    jamescrowxjamescrowx Posts: 9 Arc User
    There have been additions to the game almost every year. Last year we had the Mechanon missions. They weren't huge, but there they are. There's currently some content in the works. The development team has just changed, and so far they've been making some good changes and adding new ideas and they seem to want to push the game forward. I wouldn't say it's a bad time to go lifetime, but if you're really worried about it, wait until the new content is released, and you can get a feel for what the new developers can do, and wait for the next sale if you like it.

thanks.
    so in your respective you still enjoy CO even in those times?

i also waiting for the Titan Project (going to be in beta mid-last 2016)

• Options
    For me the game has always been more about my characters rather than the story or the amount of playable content. With a game that encourages having many characters, and me having about 80 of them, even if the did put out new content every three months, running it all 20 or 30 times would still be repetitive.

That's not to say that I'm in any way against new content, just that I get more enjoyment from creating new characters and playing them, regardless of what backdrop they're standing in. So yeah, I still enjoy the game when we're not getting a flood of new content. I've been here since before launch, and I've tried a bunch of other MMOs during that time and even before, and none of them have been as fun for me or even held my interest as much and long as Champions has.
    biffsig.jpg
  • Options
    chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    TSW budget is bigger because you have to pay before you can play. Just to download the game.
    Even if you don't want a subscription.
    Updates you pay for unless you have a subscription.
    Then we get to their cash shop
    CO is F2P, you can play it without forking out any money.

Still playing after 4 years.
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    This game lets me create characters as serious as Backfire (a chronically poor man who had joined VIPER for the medical benefits, then was turned into embodied flame by them and now exists partly to make amends for his sins, and partly to extract vengeance upon VIPER as a whole), as frivolous as Spider-Bat (eccentric billionaire Peter Wayne was bitten by a rabid bat while hunting rare spiders in the Amazon, and became a little confused...), and as admixed as the Duck Knight (a Batman-expy from an alternate universe where the birdmen of Thaar are dominant). What's not to love? :smiley:
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
  • Options
    stergasterga Posts: 2,353 Arc User
    Lifetime regular price = $300
    16 FF slots at $25 each = $400

If you like rolling alts, you'll get a bunch for free. Plus as many FFs as you can make lvl 40 toons for free. And some free costumes. Cryptic will then start paying you $5 to spend in the cash shop. LTS is a great deal for the alt-lover, but not so much for those who only want one or two mains.

Cryptic is owned by Perfect World, a company that keeps games around as long as they make $100/m in profit. PW has been around for a while and has a good deal of experience in the F2P market. Their plans are long term and can be figured out by paying attention. For instance, the console division they decided to make. What happened a year or so later? China lifted the console ban. Neverwinter for the xbox one was already being developed before the ban was lifted.

The people who talk about 'maintenance mode' are children using a cool word they heard once, but don't actually have any idea what it means.

Chances are if CO was going to be shut down, it would be a long death spiral. The big clue will be they start taking devs one at a time for other games and don't bother replacing them or bringing them back. The forums will also become devoid of the random dev posts. The PTS will be updated less and less. No more bug fixes unless they prevent people from spending money. No content. No new lockboxes. No nothing. Once they've milked the last of the die-hards of their money, then the game will shutdown.

So far, the opposite has happened. New dev team. More random dev posts. More PTS updates. Bug fixes that no one thought would ever be done. New content in the works. New lockboxes. A few quality of life updates.

My guess is that there are long term plans for CO, but they'll take a few years to flesh out. They may very well be setting up this game to better compete with the CoX wannabe games. Which, in theory, should be coming out in the next few years.
    YouTube - Steam - Twitter
    [at]riviania Member since Aug 2009
  • Options
    championshewolfchampionshewolf Posts: 4,375 Arc User
    jamescrowx wrote: »

i also waiting for the Titan Project (going to be in beta mid-last 2016)

Yea, sorry, I seriously doubt it would make an alpha by 2018.
    Champions Online player since September of 2008, forumite since February of 2008.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
  • Options
    to give you an idea, first it was due out 2014, then 2015, then early 2016, now mid to late 2016.

you might do better to check out Valliance.

• Options
    sistersiliconsistersilicon Posts: 1,687 Arc User
    chaelk wrote: »
    to give you an idea, first it was due out 2014, then 2015, then early 2016, now mid to late 2016.

The only date I remember MWM publicly announcing was "beta in late 2015" on their Kickstarter. And while it looks like they're going to miss that, A: ****, what game hits its deadlines? and B: what bodily orifice are you pulling all those other dates from?
    Choose your enemies carefully, because they will define you / Make them interesting, because in some ways they will mind you
    They're not there in the beginning, but when your story ends / Gonna last with you longer than your friends
  • Options
    cynicoolcynicool Posts: 160 Arc User
    I thought Blizzard canceled the Project Titan.
    10dsf81.png
  • Options
    nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    You play TSW so my advice would be a full frontal lobotomy .

JKN aside if your not sure play as a free AT ( there are plenty of great ones like The Unleashed ) and all the games playable content is free. That way if you like the game you can choose to buy something from the store to help the devs out a little. That way everybody wins.

Edit* Being a CoH fan you really should be playing Cryptic's Champions online instead of waiting for indie games that will never happen.

nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • Options

The only date I remember MWM publicly announcing was "beta in late 2015" on their Kickstarter. And while it looks like they're going to miss that, A: ****, what game hits its deadlines? and B: what bodily orifice are you pulling all those other dates from?

from the people announcing it ingame. Which the number of, has been dropping, as time goes on and people have less interest or go on to other things.
    well that and people calling them on the date ingame.
    So if I'm wrong, my problem for listening to people who are trying to advertise it, unofficially, I would hope.
    A lot more people seem interested in the Icon(?) project.
    Which is a worry because it means people may not be going into either of the new ones, when they eventually come out, with open minds.
    Nepht, is the lobotomy to dumb him down after playing the game or because he played the game?
    I think the running everywhere in that game, has the same Effect, you brain turns off.

• Options
    gaelyn1gaelyn1 Posts: 193 Arc User
    sterga wrote: »
    The people who talk about 'maintenance mode' are children using a cool word they heard once, but don't actually have any idea what it means.

Lol, it seems children knows more than adults about the updates which any other mmo have.
    I'm 43 but i'm a children for sure, because i'm agree with them. None of the games i've played had so few content. Most have more content in a year than co had in 5 years.
    But if some lockboxes, some ridiculous costumes parts, 2 or 3 missions (10 mns) or an alert (5-15 mns) every year is a lot for you, i understand.
    If this game is technically not in maintenance mode, because there is a few, very few content added (a game in maintenance mode don't have anymore), CO is very, very near of that indeed.
  • Options
    "Maintenance Mode" has a very specific meaning and is an incredibly loaded phrase, so you better be damned sure you're using it on a game that actually is in maintenance mode.

Content updates == NOT maintenance mode. Period. End of discussion.
    Choose your enemies carefully, because they will define you / Make them interesting, because in some ways they will mind you
    They're not there in the beginning, but when your story ends / Gonna last with you longer than your friends
  • Options
    "Maintenance Mode" has a very specific meaning and is an incredibly loaded phrase, so you better be damned sure you're using it on a game that actually is in maintenance mode.

Yup. Heck, any active development, even costumes and vehicles, means it's not in maintenance mode. Maintenance mode is just that. Checking under the hood every so often and make sure the game is still running, and fixing anything preventing it from running. We're not close to that.
    biffsig.jpg
  • Options
    nextnametakennextnametaken Posts: 2,212 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    Nepht, is the lobotomy to dumb him down after playing the game or because he played the game?
    I think the running everywhere in that game, has the same Effect, you brain turns off.

Well they have motorcycles now. Remember when we wanted motorcycles in CO and they said they couldn't do it because ...somehow running on feet is so much different than running on invisible feet. Maybe if wait long enoug we'll get train helmet from Fallout 3
  • Options
    flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    Or maybe they'll give us ankles than bend when walking on ramps and stairs.
    What?
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
  • Options
    seen the motorcycles. Seen the amount of people leaving the mission one parked in odd spots.
    Winner was the person who managed to park one at head height in mid air.
    running is 1 point to the ground, motorcycles and cars are two,front and back. Now if they just thought to give the motorcycles.
    Travel power: Tunnelling, only usable on roads.
    Intangibility-Passengers included.Only for travelling through non flat, horizontal road.
    Teleport- only for vertical movement, only for going from one road to another.
    Problem solved, we just continue on through the map until we get to where we want and then just go up.

OK that would be expensive in Hero system.

• Options
    jasoncowboywithdjasoncowboywithd Posts: 1 Arc User
    I've been off for like more than a year, was thinking of going back in. You guys know any changes recently? in terms of powers, contents or items or such? And what about population at the moment tho :D. The one thing that put me off playing was coming in when there's only roughly 80 peps online :(
  • Options
    championshewolfchampionshewolf Posts: 4,375 Arc User

Yup. Heck, any active development, even costumes and vehicles, means it's not in maintenance mode. Maintenance mode is just that. Checking under the hood every so often and make sure the game is still running, and fixing anything preventing it from running. We're not close to that.

Interesting, since the MMO definition of maintenance mode is when content and updates slow to a trickle or even stop. I know you're using the definition of maintenance mode as defined by software development (which usually implies application software like photoshop), but when it comes to game development, it's pretty universally accepted that the state Champions has been in for at least the past two years, is considered maintenance mode as content has only trickled in at best description you can give it.​​
    Champions Online player since September of 2008, forumite since February of 2008.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
  • Options
    jennymachxjennymachx Posts: 3,000 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    Interesting, since the MMO definition of maintenance mode is when content and updates slow to a trickle or even stop. I know you're using the definition of maintenance mode as defined by software development (which usually implies application software like photoshop), but when it comes to game development, it's pretty universally accepted that the state Champions has been in for at least the past two years, is considered maintenance mode as content has only trickled in at best description you can give it.​​

MMORPGs are essentially computer software. If we're going to get all technical about the term, then maintenance mode doesn't apply to this game when development is still being put into it when it still gets content updates, no matter how small or frequent.
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    If you want to play a super hero game and are worried about stuff closing ( pretty certain CO will be around for a few years yet ) play CO for free and buy Saints Row IV ^.^

And no I will never shut up about that game cause its awesome k ¬_¬"
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
  • Options
    I've been off for like more than a year, was thinking of going back in. You guys know any changes recently? in terms of powers, contents or items or such? And what about population at the moment tho :D. The one thing that put me off playing was coming in when there's only roughly 80 peps online :(
    Well, Jason, considering that each instance of a zone can only hold an absolute maximum of 100 players, and that those of us with lower-end computers will often seek out less-populated zones so as not to overload the poor video card (the program insists on reserving processing power for people who are far outside visual range, just in case they come closer), that's a "problem" you're going to have a hard time avoiding, no matter how many players are actually online at any given moment (a metric that, as has been amply demonstrated, is difficult for any of us to measure with any degree of certainty).

I can't say for sure what's been introduced within the past year, either, other than the new ultimate power that's trapped in the Ravenswood Lockbox but probably also available in the AH (I only unlocked a couple of those boxes, got a token in the second one, and called it good - one day I'll own that sweet flame-job ride, but not today). And I'm pretty sure that all the current content is over a year old, although Arkayne and Splosions keep coming in here and teasing some promising new stuff they're currently testing in-house. But I can say that even after all this time, I'm still coming up with power combinations that feel different from one another when I play. (The latest is Danros Dryfoot, a Lemurian with a morbid fear of drowning, who uses mostly Infernal Supernatural powers and wears a flotation ring shaped like a giraffe.)

(By the way, watch out for these parentheses - once you get in the habit, it's hard to bracket.)​​
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

• Options
    edited August 2015

Translation: "I want to make this bad situation sound even worse, so I'll just change the meaning of these words. 'Maintenance Mode' now means 'Where are my flying cars? I was promised flying cars!' Who cares if other people who don't know how I changed the meaning of those words now think things are worse than they are?"

Nope.
  • Options
    stergasterga Posts: 2,353 Arc User
    I could see the claim of maintenance mode a few years ago, before Cryptic North. Those days have been gone for awhile now. Maintenance mode is almost always used as a way to hobnob with the cool kids and not to actually describe the game's development. It may not be very much development, but it's there.

For some reason, CO has the position of whipping boy for a lot of people. There are games that are doing far worse that don't get the frothing hate that Champs does.

Anyway, current pop is on the low side. People are taking breaks right now, but will likely return once this new content hits.
    YouTube - Steam - Twitter
    [at]riviania Member since Aug 2009
  • Options
    sterga wrote: »
    For some reason, CO has the position of whipping boy for a lot of people. There are games that are doing far worse that don't get the frothing hate that Champs does.

Take your pick:
    • Permanently-adolescent City of Heroes vets who don't know how to channel their anger at NCSoft into anything else.
    • Cheerleaders for Valiance Online or City of Titans who think they're somehow helping those games' studios by slagging the competition.
    • Champions Online burnouts who think that because the game isn't fun for them anymore, it shouldn't be fun for anybody. (Special shout-out to those beta testers who are still bitter about the Day One Nerf.)

Did I miss anybody?
  • Options

Well sure, people love their hyperbole on the Internet. This game was "dead" before it even launched. Just because people say it doesn't make it true.

People don't get to change the meaning of a word just because they've been using it wrong for years and are too caught up in their own ego to own up to their mistakes.

Oh wait, that's literally not true. I'll go by the original, intended definition still, thanks.
    biffsig.jpg
  • Options
    pallierpallier Posts: 79 Arc User
    there will never be a new expansion but there will be new content.... however it will only be events and and new costumes. no level cap increase, no new powers, no new adventures, no new storyline.
    Oh Atari how I miss you!
  • Options
    You should trade in your crystal ball, it's malfunctioning!​​
    biffsig.jpg
  • Options
    stellarjoestellarjoe Posts: 23 Arc User
    As a former COH player, I just can't get past my dislike for the cartoony look of the characters and the evironment in this game. I've tried; believe me. The game just feel stagnant to me; with no real direction. Like the devs are just keeping the game alive until the higher ups decide to pull the plug on it.

Just phoning it in.
  • Options
    cynicoolcynicool Posts: 160 Arc User
    stellarjoe wrote: »
    As a former COH player, I just can't get past my dislike for the cartoony look of the characters and the evironment in this game. I've tried; believe me. The game just feel stagnant to me; with no real direction. Like the devs are just keeping the game alive until the higher ups decide to pull the plug on it.

Just phoning it in.

Given how the character models in CoX make me want to vomit my own intestines out and strangle myself with them, I think we're going to have to agree to disagree about the graphics.​​
    10dsf81.png
  • Options
    ealford1985ealford1985 Posts: 3,582 Arc User

Just phoning it in.

City of Mitten Heroes.
  • Options
    Chins you could fillet a fish with...​​
    biffsig.jpg
  • Options
    guyhumualguyhumual Posts: 2,393 Arc User
    I prefer CO over TSW mostly because of the customization. I really love having control over how my character looks. I think I prefer the power system in CO more, TSW has a lot more powers and abilities, but each power doesn't really do as much. As for missions and story, TSW is really good, I love the puzzles, story, and having cut scenes that you can skip.

The missions in TSW were fun but leveling feels like a lot more work and if I just want to hang out I play CO, new content for CO would be nice, but for me, missions in CO has never really been a selling point.
  • Options
    edited August 2015

Just phoning it in.

cool-story-troll-copy.jpg?w=480

As former COH player you mean you played the FTP version a month before it closed. This a forum for CO a Cryptic made Super hero MMO most of the players here are real former COH players. Take your cow-poo somewhere else.

• Options
    I played CoH. Briefly. My issues with it are well-documented elsewhere. However, I can state with little fear of contradiction that if you're claiming the graphics in CoH were superior to these, that the CoH graphics weren't just as "cartoony" as here, then either you've been using some interesting recreational pharmaceuticals, or you've just reached into the "CoX Bittervet" grab-bag and hauled out the first bogus complaint that came to hand.​​

• Options
    xrazamaxxrazamax Posts: 979 Arc User
    I have heard from some people who claim the look of CO is too "cartoony" for them is remedied in part by removing the comic book outline in the video options. Personally, I love that comic book style.
  • Options
    KagamiTheMagicalCatGerlKagamiTheMagicalCatGerl Posts: 357 Arc User

Just phoning it in.

I'm currently using Pinto beans to make my chili, where as in the last batch I was using kidney beans. It's not really a dramatic difference as I thought it would be since I read that they use Pintos in burritos and stuff. Basically I was hoping my chili would taste like burritos...but it didn't. I'm okay with that though because it still tastes good. I also have some bags of red beans and black beans, so we'll see how that goes.
  • Options
    I've always thought the "problem" came from people who didn't have good enough video cards to use the High Quality Lighting option. In CoH, costume details were painted on. In Champions, most of it is based on normal maps and lighting. You get the same amount of details in Champions, but they're based off of light.

In CoH, since details and shading were painted onto the textures, you could have a light shining right at a shaded piece of of costume or gear, and it would still be shaded. Makes no sense but works for older computers, seeing as how the game was built for older computers.

Champions details are more realistic, and can be lit in any manner, as long as you have the option turned on and your computer can handle it. Otherwise almost everything looks like it has way less detail and it just outlines and solid shapes.

Personally I would like the graphics in this game to be more stylized. But if anyone really thinks that the character models were better in CoH, I have a Santa outfit I could sell ya!​​
    biffsig.jpg
  • Options
    KagamiTheMagicalCatGerlKagamiTheMagicalCatGerl Posts: 357 Arc User
    I've always thought the "problem" came from people who didn't have good enough video cards to use the High Quality Lighting option. In CoH, costume details were painted on. In Champions, most of it is based on normal maps and lighting. You get the same amount of details in Champions, but they're based off of light.

In CoH, since details and shading were painted onto the textures, you could have a light shining right at a shaded piece of of costume or gear, and it would still be shaded. Makes no sense but works for older computers, seeing as how the game was built for older computers.

Champions details are more realistic, and can be lit in any manner, as long as you have the option turned on and your computer can handle it. Otherwise almost everything looks like it has way less detail and it just outlines and solid shapes.

Personally I would like the graphics in this game to be more stylized. But if anyone really thinks that the character models were better in CoH, I have a Santa outfit I could sell ya!​​

It's true. On my old laptop I had to play in potato mode, going so far as using the half-resolution option, and no lighting options on.

Then I got my new laptop where I could max out everything and I felt like I went from playing a Playstation 1 game to a Playstation 3 game. Just the shinyness and bloom alone was nuts how big of a difference it made.

Now on my new gaming desktop I can even turn ambient occlusion on and it..... well, didn't make that big of a difference :smiley: just a teeny bit more shading here and there.
  • Options
    Ditto- old computer I was using Low quality fx only.
    The nightmare generator is a pink dude.
    I never saw firesnake or earth flight or a few other thigns till I got my new computer.
    Villains in alerts, looked like they were wearing plain clothes.
    Now I can run in high quality fx;
    I can see clothing, armour and skin detail. which in some cases would be better not seeing.
    finally saw firesnake and what earth flight looked like. My old one looked like standing on nothing.
    water is no longer flat.
    down side is , I can now see all the flashes and bangs... breifly.​​

• Options
    reiwulfreiwulf Posts: 442 Arc User
    He didnt say the graphics were worse than coh. He said they were more cartoony than coh. And i agree with that. Coh had worse graphics and models but it looked more serious.
    natesig.jpg

• Options
    meedacthunistmeedacthunist Posts: 2,961 Arc User1
    edited August 2015
    Actually, at times I like to play CO with all high quality lightning (normalmaps) and shadows turned off, with only ambient occlusion, texture filtering, bloom and black outlining left. It makes the game look more like a cartoon or Pixar animation than default settings, because CO high quality shading kinda conflicts with achieving a flat comic-y look.
    IMHO COs look is either not stylised enough to give a comic book/cartoon feel, or too stylised to give a cinematic feel. It's somewhere mid-way. It could use being even more stylised than it is now.
    flyingfinn wrote: »
    Or maybe they'll give us ankles than bend when walking on ramps and stairs.
    What?

Yup. And that's a part of game physics that, for now, exists only in the Neverinter branch of the game engine. As not even STO has it.​​
  • Options
    reiwulf said:

He didnt say the graphics were worse than coh. He said they were more cartoony than coh. And i agree with that. Coh had worse graphics and models but it looked more serious.

And that was my main problem with the first game. It looked too serious. CO looks more like a comic book.

• Options
    reiwulfreiwulf Posts: 442 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    To me CO doesnt look like present superhero comic books. It looks like superfriends or hanna barbera superheroes.
    If i look at modern comic books the tone is indeed more serious. Even the ones that still have humor in it. Like deadpool ir guardians of the galaxy. There are no main villains robbing a bank or cookies like in CO.
    Vibora bay was a change of tone and language and many enjoyed it. I wish they kept that tone in other parts of the game.
    Even when they try to be funny its just cheesy and not funny.
    Eveb the default character in the character creator are very cartoony. Huuuuge eyes ans completely out of whack face proportions.
    natesig.jpg