test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

what do you think they mean or have planned?

chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
comment from cryptic arkayne in http://www.arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1195126/quality-of-life
Yup, we're working on a new content update. Still too early to talk about, but we'll let you know when we've got stuff sorted.

pick one and try to keep the reasons, non- moddable
Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!

what do you think they mean or have planned? 41 votes

A whole new zone
7%
nephttombmaster123klavos 3 votes
A new event
12%
bobj021960sistersiliconcyronemagpieuk2014farquat2 5 votes
A new daily mission
2%
heavynosferatu 1 vote
They're finally adding a new PVP map
2%
bluhman 1 vote
a new start area set of missions
12%
bazodeegtw891roughbearmattachnextnametakenjim625 5 votes
a raid for level 40's
7%
codewar65coneuroniakazecat 3 votes
end game missions(not necessarily with gear grind attached)
14%
itsbrou#5396chaelkbringmeaslabnbkxstheravenforcexrazamax 6 votes
another collect the token repeatable mission
36%
hemslordmaleb666flyingfinndraognbluegrassbeastbiffsmackwelldeadman20stellariodragonwraithshadow13hasukurobiplasmoid070avianosnacito#6758KagamiTheMagicalCatGerlSeschat 15 votes
they're giving us a remote crafting system like STO has.(so we have something to use all those low rank mods on)
4%
vrtesseractgradii 2 votes
group nemesis attacks
0%

Comments

• Options
    ran out of options.
    11. None of the above.​​

• Options
    cynicoolcynicool Posts: 160 Arc User
    A new lockbox slot machine that gives us the chance to spend zen on tokens to purchase the opportunity to spend questionite to get a small chance of getting a lockbox but a much larger chance of getting a small value of snake gulch snakebucks.​​
    10dsf81.png
  • Options
    splosionssplosions Posts: 37 Cryptic Developer
    I can't tell you what it is, but the internal playtest today is already looking really cool....
    B)
  • Options
    nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    A whole new zone
    I'll take a guess. Lockboxes :D
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • Options
    championshewolfchampionshewolf Posts: 4,375 Arc User
    I refuse to get excited about anything new anymore. I know they have a lot of broken stuff to fix, but too many let downs for me to get excited. We need an all new adventure zone, group content that matters, and not dumbing down our super villains to appease the weakest links.​​
    Champions Online player since September of 2008, forumite since February of 2008.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
  • Options
    itsbrou#5396 itsbrou Posts: 1,778 Arc User
    Stuff.
    Wait and seeeeeee
    Brou in Cryptic games.
  • Options
    jennymachxjennymachx Posts: 3,000 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    1. A whole new zone.

Aladdin_-_A_Whole_New_World_%282%29.gif
  • Options
    Stuff.
    Wait and seeeeeee

Going by your click there that either sounds like an STO reputation system or Neverwinters Boon system which was the reputation system with even longer grinding.​​
    Champions Online player since September of 2008, forumite since February of 2008.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
  • Options
    canadascottcanadascott Posts: 1,257 Arc User
    Something relatively small in scale, but pretty cool.
    /CanadaBanner4.jpg
  • Options
    nextnametakennextnametaken Posts: 2,212 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    a new start area set of missions
    I believe 'splosions. If he thinks it looks cool, it's probably cool.

Rock the vote and all that but I'm thinking it's a redirection/rework of the level 6 to 10 missions.
  • Options
    kemmicalskemmicals Posts: 853 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    Something fairly small that people will power through in maybe a couple hours.

Edit: Fixed because I'm a filthy, filthy casual that takes too long to do stuff, mostly due to laziness.
    Post edited by kemmicals on
  • Options
    kemmicals wrote: »

Fixed that for you normal-47.gif​​
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
  • Options

Meant a couple days for everyone collectively to do it.
  • Options
    KagamiTheMagicalCatGerlKagamiTheMagicalCatGerl Posts: 357 Arc User
    Probably the same thing it meant the last X times they said they had new content. They don't do new things.
  • Options
    biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Arc User
    Someone dumped a big-ol bucket of sunshine down on this thread, huh?

No probs, I'll save the day. It'll be something cool and new to Champions.

NOW EVERYONE DO YOUR BEST KERMIT IMPRESSIONS!​​
    biffsig.jpg
  • Options
    iamruneiamrune Posts: 965 Arc User
    NOW EVERYONE DO YOUR BEST KERMIT IMPRESSIONS!

*Flails like a famous green muppet* aaaahhhH!

I have no idea what it might be, but the smart money is to bet along with the big blue wolf. My best guess is something new jumped off from the space station. My Hope is that it's a new zone, but let's be realistic, it's probably much smaller in scope than that.​​
  • Options
    hey I can hope.​​

• Options
    crypticbuxomcrypticbuxom Posts: 4,593 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    I'm going to point out things that have been changed around the game that everyone has seen to help make a prediction.

UI buggery involving icons, unlocks, and the Store. This suggests there is major UI changes probably to add something substantial.

Speaking of the Store, whole new tabs added/retooled to broaden what goes in them. Powers - Disguises catches most of my attention, but I bet a few more "new" things are going in them.

Tailor bugs involving map changes, the abs specifically. Something being tampered so seriously would suggest streamlining either for our characters or for something that uses our tailor for something else.

My vote is something to spend Zen on and you HAVE to spend Zen on it.
  • Options
    Something fairly small that people will power through in maybe a couple days.

Predictions on a casual player level, eh?
  • Options
    avianosavianos Posts: 6,028 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    Let me guess, it will be another 2-3 Missions like Cybermind and Mechanon, which you can speedrun in less than 1 Hour and their Final missions will be Either an Alert in Rotation or an Event that happens once per year with crappy loot and ugly auras​​
    POWERFRAME REVAMPS, NEW POWERS and BUG FIXES > Recycled Content and Events and even costumes at this point Introvert guy who use CO to make his characters playable and get experimental with Viable FF Theme builds! Running out of Unique FF builds due to the lack of updates and synergiesPlaying since 1 February 2011 98+ Characters (7 ATs, 91 FFs) ALTitis for Life!
  • Options

I am a filthy casual. That's true.
  • Options

I am a filthy casual. That's true.

I'm a clean casual.
    okay, a completely slackarse, clean casual.
    no farming except of alts.
    ​​

• Options
    xydaxydaxydaxyda Posts: 817 Arc User
    I have no idea, but if I had to guess?

Mutant Walrus Invasion.

From Space.
  • Options
    deadman20deadman20 Posts: 1,529 Arc User
    If previous "content" updates are any indication, it'll probably be another mini-set of repeatable missions (Fatal Err0r) or something to grind tokens from (Steel Crusade).

Personally? I want some more Regular Content/New Zone stuff. You know, stuff to do from Lv6-40. Something to explore and get a feeling for. Lately it's just been "Go in and do this" instances and one open world mission that's way too short to even be considered a real mission. Sure events are nice, but they're not around forever to enjoy to our hearts content, only for a limited time. Hudson City could be a good place for some new content, particularly for the Lv30+ group. Our main contact there could be Nighthawk, who could give us some missions where we "intimidate" enemies and gather information for him. With the introduction of GATEWAY into the game for Steel Crusade, it'd be nice if we used it for other missions especially ones on other planets. Like, having a group of alien ambassadors at GATEWAY as contacts for the Heroes of Earth to request help with a particular situation on their planet. Though I imagine that to be more of an Event type thing much like Steel Crusade and Fatal Err0r are.

Lots of options and potential here.​​
    Steam Guide to Modifications and Equipment (Champions Online) - DZPlayer's Builds (Last updated: 3/26/2018)
    And I will always be @DZPlayer122.

• Options
    aiqaaiqa Posts: 2,620 Arc User
    I am hoping for stuff that requires a team, and not just for some puzzles or a queue.
  • Options
    flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    It's gonna be 'something' with "Endboss" with mechanics people will hate and love. Love and hate.
    And Tokens.
    And Event.
    And Lock Box.
    With Armor Costume Set.
    And Vehicle.
    egg-2.gif
    ​​
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
  • Options
    stergasterga Posts: 2,353 Arc User
    I'm hoping for space station things. But it could be Ravenwood things. Possibly a new AT. A space battle where we can blow up Ravenwood students! Yes! It's OK because it's just a sim, right?
    YouTube - Steam - Twitter
    [at]riviania Member since Aug 2009
  • Options
    thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Posts: 447 Arc User
    It's best not to get out hopes up. Then, if we're pleasantly surprised, great.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    deadman20 wrote: »
    If previous "content" updates are any indication, it'll probably be another mini-set of repeatable missions (Fatal Err0r) or something to grind tokens from (Steel Crusade).

Personally? I want some more Regular Content/New Zone stuff. You know, stuff to do from Lv6-40. Something to explore and get a feeling for. Lately it's just been "Go in and do this" instances and one open world mission that's way too short to even be considered a real mission. Sure events are nice, but they're not around forever to enjoy to our hearts content, only for a limited time. Hudson City could be a good place for some new content, particularly for the Lv30+ group. Our main contact there could be Nighthawk, who could give us some missions where we "intimidate" enemies and gather information for him. With the introduction of GATEWAY into the game for Steel Crusade, it'd be nice if we used it for other missions especially ones on other planets. Like, having a group of alien ambassadors at GATEWAY as contacts for the Heroes of Earth to request help with a particular situation on their planet. Though I imagine that to be more of an Event type thing much like Steel Crusade and Fatal Err0r are.

Lots of options and potential here.

Sorry, but I want some end game content. We don't need more 6 to 40 content we need more content for people to stick around and do.​​
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
  • Options
    pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User

Depends on your definition of 'power through'. Running the Mechanon arc once doesn't take very long. Getting all the possible unlocks can take a while.
  • Options

Fixed that for you normal-47.gif
    Depends on your definition of 'power through'. Running the Mechanon arc once doesn't take very long. Getting all the possible unlocks can take a while.

Yes, forcing yourself to slog through it again and again for all that, but to me repeating something doesn't add hours to content. That's called and has always been padding, a mechanic to artificially inflate the length of something.​​
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
  • Options

Fixed that for you normal-47.gif

Yes, forcing yourself to slog through it again and again for all that, but to me repeating something doesn't add hours to content. That's called and has always been padding, a mechanic to artificially inflate the length of something.​​

Dunno if that's really padding since it's more you pushing yourself to get that stuff when you can shrug your shoulders and say "OK, I'm done."
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    TV Tropes, Padding

Specifically this paragraph;
    Games often send you on long fetch quests, sidequests, or just running back and forth and not progressing the story. This is commonly seen in Roleplaying Games and the more expansive of Action Adventure games; although a lot of the content that is considered "padding" is optional. Forced Level Grinding, however, isn't. For a First-Person Shooter game, you'll be required to go back and forth or repeat the same levels over and over again, without Chaos Architecture making it seem different or at least getting to go to new areas. In an adventure game, which naturally is much shorter than the average Roleplaying Game or most First-Person Shooter games (especially if you know what to do), they will pad it by making you go back and forth or making an overly-long puzzle or dialogue branch. Other examples would include Pixel Hunting or sending you on a long series of errands/puzzles that merely give you one item to progress the story.

In short, redoing Steel Crusade for the items is the very definition of padding.Similar to level grinding in Castlevania series, or older MMOs.

But of course, padding is not always negative, it's usually there when there is a follow up planned. But, as we can see, year long stints as a follow up is, well, lame. And hell, considering Steel Crusade is finally the resolution of Whiteout, and Whiteout released what, over three years ago?​ So over two years to finally resolve that storyline in kind of a disappointing manner.​​
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
  • Options
    pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    In short, redoing Steel Crusade for the items is the very definition of padding.Similar to level grinding in Castlevania series, or older MMOs.​​
    No MMO ever has done without grinding. It just takes too long to design new content, as opposed to how long it takes to do the content (I'd be curious about actual ratios; judging by time to complete vs production budgets, it's probably on the order of 1,000:1).
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    In short, redoing Steel Crusade for the items is the very definition of padding.Similar to level grinding in Castlevania series, or older MMOs.
    No MMO ever has done without grinding. It just takes too long to design new content, as opposed to how long it takes to do the content (I'd be curious about actual ratios; judging by time to complete vs production budgets, it's probably on the order of 1,000:1).

I never implied padding was bad, but usually helps if your content cycle doesn't take a full year before you see something new.

And to go with most development cycles, ideally you usually have what is called a Live team and a Expansion (new content) team, to put it in loose terms. The Live team generally irons out bugs, immediate issues, and what not, and the Expansion team is generally working on new content and updates.

But, that would be an ideal setting and it seems like the devs are handling well both sides of the coin here.​​
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
  • Options

Sorry, but I want some end game content. We don't need more 6 to 40 content we need more content for people to stick around and do.​​

We actually need both, because yes we need "more content for people to stick around and do"... but if you think that's not leveling content then you forgot what game you're playing. There's a reason this is the game I reference when people start talking about alt-itis in other games. Fact is, there are people here who love leveling up... there are people here who completely stop playing a character once it hits max level, and some of them are the most active veterans we've got. Nothing about that is surprising either when you consider this is a game based around letting your imagination run wild creating super heroes.

I know I'd actually be hype about leveling again if they added some new interesting content to the process, since the thing that puts me off of it right now is the fact that leveling through missions is essentially a long string of "Go here, one shot some guys, now go somewhere else" or "Go here, click these things, now go somewhere else" missions.

Of course, my faith that either of these things would be anything truly new and interesting is fairly low at the moment. Despite that I can confidently say that we absolutely need more of both new leveling and new endgame content. Some "just for fun" content couldn't hurt either.
  • Options
    edited July 2015

I don't think there are any MMOs that don't heavily utilize repeatable content. Is this now suddenly a bad thing? You might want to let the entire MMO industry know that they've been doing it wrong for about two decades.

I'm not sure you could even afford to run an MMO where you actually expect people to run each bit of content only once. You may call it padding, but I think the rest of the gaming world calls it the meta.

PS - using words like "slog" implies that something is bad. Your comment in general had a very negative slant to it and I don't think anyone would get the impression that you were talking about something you considered a positive.
  • Options
    theravenforcetheravenforce Posts: 7,065 Arc User
    Storyline wise...I've got many ideas what this could all mean... I was actually talking about this with another player today.

Examples:

Dr. Seb Poe is out of prison and joins up with Kevin, his son and takes the war to PSI, PSI vs Empowered New Purple Gang...PSI would have a few more members killed (probably Psimon, but I hope it is Medusa) and New Purple Gang would become a lot more dangerous thanks to Dr. Poe. PSI would be cut open once more probably :(.

OR

Gateway is utilized and we start seeing missions related to Star*Guard and possibly encountering other alien races such as Hzeel.

OR

Some sort of weird encounter with Captain Chronos, he has been mentioned a few times in game. Which could lead to time travel event or mission chain.

OR

Doctor Destroyer decides to come back to set the record straight after Mechanon ran away but not before taking over HIS Mega Destroids and his attack. Feeling disrespected he launches an attack, perhaps even appearing in person, alongside The Destroyers.

The most likely to me is Dr. Destroyer or something leading up to him at least.

Although I think it could be something end game-like, perhaps bringing something interesting like Ye Olde PTS Open World Firewing?

Whatever it is, I'll be waiting to see what happens and if we get anymore power fixes...like those Telepathy bugs and PFF.
  • Options
    magpieuk2014magpieuk2014 Posts: 1,268 Arc User
    A new event
    Whatever it is, I hope it's neither of a) big monster turns up and stands around on a street corner while everyone shoots it and b) some OP monster made to "challenge" elitist players with all the gear and access to every device, power, stat and finesse there is. Boss fights aren't much fun in this game and it would be nice to avoid the Mechanon finale debacle.
  • Options
    xrazamaxxrazamax Posts: 979 Arc User
    Obviously we are getting a mission set where the player dies at the hands of Shadow Destroyer, and the only way to escape the underworld and get back to stop him is to beat the Grim Reaper in a series of board games.
  • Options
    draogndraogn Posts: 1,269 Arc User
    Storyline wise...I've got many ideas what this could all mean... I was actually talking about this with another player today.

Examples:

Doctor Destroyer decides to come back to set the record straight after Mechanon ran away but not before taking over HIS Mega Destroids and his attack. Feeling disrespected he launches an attack, perhaps even appearing in person, alongside The Destroyers.

If they do something like this hopefully they can actually have the invaders/attackers actually attacking something rather then sitting in small groups waiting for us to attack them. Having proactive attackers would make some of the events more engaging and make more sense.
  • Options
    draogn wrote: »

Examples:

If they do something like this hopefully they can actually have the invaders/attackers actually attacking something rather then sitting in small groups waiting for us to attack them. Having proactive attackers would make some of the events more engaging and make more sense.

It would be nice, but considering that a vast majority of people would whine and complain that it is "unfair" that being a super hero might be dangerous and getting randomly attacked would be stupid and such, I wouldn't hold your breath on them taking it outside of some safety net. Too many people want their single player experience and forgot they bought an MMO.​​
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    And too many players find real life to be more important than a game far too often, and simply cannot devote three or four hours in a block to running through some special content with a group of other people. I'm sorry, shewolf, but some of us have lives away from the keyboard. If my children need me, or my roommate's in crisis, my spandex counterparts will just have to wait.

And if the only way given content can be done is in teams, then some of us will just be unable to do it. I don't know why you feel that everything has to cater to your desire to be surrounded by people all the time, but even in comics that's patently untrue - Batman may be the backbone of the Justice League, but he holds up three other titles as well. The only characters in the Avengers movie who didn't start in their own solo films are Hawkeye and the Black Widow - all the others worked alone before they worked with each other. And so forth. Golden Eagle, Hypernova, and Kallitaq haven't disappointed any of the groups they've worked with in Alerts, but they've been soloing content all over the place as well, and I don't understand why that bothers you so much.
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    jonsills wrote: »
    And too many players find real life to be more important than a game far too often, and simply cannot devote three or four hours in a block to running through some special content with a group of other people. I'm sorry, shewolf, but some of us have lives away from the keyboard. If my children need me, or my roommate's in crisis, my spandex counterparts will just have to wait.

And if the only way given content can be done is in teams, then some of us will just be unable to do it. I don't know why you feel that everything has to cater to your desire to be surrounded by people all the time, but even in comics that's patently untrue - Batman may be the backbone of the Justice League, but he holds up three other titles as well. The only characters in the Avengers movie who didn't start in their own solo films are Hawkeye and the Black Widow - all the others worked alone before they worked with each other. And so forth. Golden Eagle, Hypernova, and Kallitaq haven't disappointed any of the groups they've worked with in Alerts, but they've been soloing content all over the place as well, and I don't understand why that bothers you so much.

The fact you put words in my mouth is always amusing to me. I never said devote 3 or 4 hours to a block of gaming. No where was that stated. But then again, the hypocrisy of this statement always amuses me since the people that spout it typically do anyways.

Further more, Batman has his own titles, but Batman does not regularly face down Superman class villains on his own. Unless it's a bad writer who is turning Batman into a god, as they were doing in the past. Batman typically faces down foes that are his level. This is a super hero MMO, that means there are suppose to be threats that surpass just one person. That more than one may be required.

I am sorry you want everything soloable, but this is an MMO. MMO's are social and group affairs to some of the toughest things.​​
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    ok before an argument starts between the last two posters.
    I'm also working full-time, though luckily I don't have carer duties too,like Jonsills, as a parent.
    I'll add a bit of extra info.

some people complain about Gravitar's random attack- it's not fair, not knowing who she will target.

some people complain about having to kill the mobs in Lemurian invasion and Sky command- it's annoying, it takes too long.

Anything which isn't the boss stands and just broadcasts any attacks beforehand, so people can block, gets complaints.
    The mobs for the mechanon and bloodmoon events, do stand around doing nothing until you attack them.
    Imagine the Mission briefing:
    ok all you robots go stand around and try to look harmless, don't do anything unless someone attacks you.

But shouldn't we be attacking them? Or getting the important buildings?

No, you just stand and wait until something happens.
    Draogn;
    By proactive, I would assume you mean, have a larger aggro area and targets to attack when no players are attacking them.
    For example taking over, the bank, city hall, Argent(do we rescue them or not), get Defender(sorry, I have to take this call right now. Just wait)
    They destroy or take over they win that event, players stop them in time, players win.
    Yes we do need end game content, for solo and group.(my only long time available to play is saturday, barring anything else turning up I have to do)
    yes, we do need more variation in leveling content.( 100+ alts at 40 and counting. Boy, do I miss having 2 start areas.)
    We need both, for people with a main and people with hordes of the things.
    For new players, who don't want to do the same thing on a second character.
    and for the new characters like " I've only been playing a month and I've beaten the game" he got to 40 and got his SCR gear. Then he left, since that was all there was.

Forgot a bit, remembered when loading drier.
    For longer missions/mission arcs. Have a progress save. You do a bit at a time and save when you get to each point.
    No need to do the whole thing in one go.
    It not as if it's anything new.​​

• Options
    wraithshadow13wraithshadow13 Posts: 531 Arc User
    To be honest, I've lost any and all faith in Cryptic. Granted, I understand that you can't please all of the people all of the time, or some of the people any of the time, but this game (and in some part the other two) have just left things bitter for a lot of people. Not everyone mind you, but there is a lot left to be desired, and considering the pricing on everything, we're not getting any benefit of putting actual money into this game. Regardless of what I think is coming, I've learned the hard way from Cryptic, that it's not going to be good. It will either be too expensive, halfassed, bug laden, not what they made it sound like, unfinished, or tied into an unnecessary system that just invalidates the thing in the first place.

If it's interesting, I'll give it a shot, but otherwise Cryptic has really done nothing with a lot of the great things they actually have. Considering how they've treated this game, I really can't expect a whole lot out of it.
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    To be honest, I've lost any and all faith in Cryptic. Granted, I understand that you can't please all of the people all of the time, or some of the people any of the time, but this game (and in some part the other two) have just left things bitter for a lot of people. Not everyone mind you, but there is a lot left to be desired, and considering the pricing on everything, we're not getting any benefit of putting actual money into this game. Regardless of what I think is coming, I've learned the hard way from Cryptic, that it's not going to be good. It will either be too expensive, halfassed, bug laden, not what they made it sound like, unfinished, or tied into an unnecessary system that just invalidates the thing in the first place.

If it's interesting, I'll give it a shot, but otherwise Cryptic has really done nothing with a lot of the great things they actually have. Considering how they've treated this game, I really can't expect a whole lot out of it.

The last straw for me was the way aura purchases don't give you a full set for each of your characters. Because apparently over $100 from each player isn't enough to justify reinvestment. I don't expect anything from Cryptic other than disappointment and the last three things you said there on how they do things being the norm.
  • Options
    itsbrou#5396 itsbrou Posts: 1,778 Arc User
    Whatever it is, I hope it doesn't involve destroying objects. We can't build energy on them, and that makes Mechanon and Cybermind awful.
    Brou in Cryptic games.
This discussion has been closed.