test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Marvel Universe may be ending...

meedacthunistmeedacthunist Posts: 2,961 Arc User1
edited May 2015 in Off Topic
...but sure as Hell it's not gonna stop Frank Castle from having it his way.

nltlrm.jpg

Gonna sum it with a quote courtesy of MHs Jen Walters:

"Aww Frank, you're kinda cute in a dour, murderous, psychopath kind of way."
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• ealford1985ealford1985 Posts: 3,582 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    What if...Punisher kills the Marvel Universe, again
  • tfavsb10tfavsb10 Posts: 309 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    For a second i thought you meant that horible attempt at a DCU Exobite PVP Clone, but now I see this is much more serious!
  • joybuzzerxjoybuzzerx Posts: 882 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    What is this in?
  • biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Secret Wars 1

I just finished reading it. It's kinda bleh.
    biffsig.jpg
  • meedacthunistmeedacthunist Posts: 2,961 Arc User1
    edited May 2015
    Knowing with who (or maybe "what") Doom and Strange were seeing at the beginning and the end, I think I know how it will be resolved.

Also, I wonder if writer remembers that, technically, Galactus is now a multiversal singularity, since... If the only two universes left before the end were Earth-616 and the Ultimate Earth, well...

Galactus some time ago merged with his Ultimate counterpart.

So far I love build-up and the story isn't bad. I think Marvel can handle it better than DC.

But then, DC lately was rubbish anyway. Not very hard to outdo them.

Still don't know how exactly Castle intended to hurt the Absorbing Man and Sandman with a conventional rifle, though... Or even with grenades. Unless he just wanted to end with a bang.
    edited May 2015
    Oh, I had heard something of them combining Ultimate and 616 universe into one. Is that it?

Though having them combine at all or even mingle defeated the purpose of the Ultimate Universe anyways. :p
  • flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    joybuzzerx wrote: »
    Oh, I had heard something of them combining Ultimate and 616 universe into one. Is that it?

Though having them combine at all or even mingle defeated the purpose of the Ultimate Universe anyways. :p

That merge thing is actually reality!
    Milky Way and Andromeda are merging!
    We are doomed. I mean like 'HOLY **HITZ. WE ARE GONNA DIE!!!!'

http://hubblesite.org/newscenter/archive/releases/2015/15/full/

hs-2015-15-a-web.jpg

And, how is ************ alive? Didn't he like ********* his ****** ***? (Sorry, no spoilers)
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    edited May 2015

They're apparently shutting down a large number of the timelines. Kickoff events were Beast going backtime and pulling the original X-Men forward from when they were in their late teens, and Morlun and his kin hunting down all the variant Spider-People from across the multiverse in order to harvest their life-force in a more sustainable fashion. This apparently started breaking down the timelines, and, well...

I just hope that when it all boils out, both Miles Morales and Spider-Gwen will remain part of the Spider-Man continuity. I find them interesting as characters, as well as having cool costumes. (And is it asking too much to somehow undo "One More Day" in the process? Peter Parker selling his marriage to the Devil was so far out of character it might have come from a totally different publisher!)
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    edited May 2015
    Marvel is shutting down some of their redundant continuities. Quite a few of them were either published infrequenty, or were heading to nowhere. The last one can be said about the Ultimate continuity as well - the more modernised Earth-616 was, the less need was for having its Ultimate counterpart. Some of their Ultimate books were running out of juice and ideas, or were in deadends. Like X-Men or Ultimates.
    Some of their mainstream series, like for an example Magneto's ongoing, already had the same feel like the Ultimate Earth.

Marvel will probably retain some Ultimate characters in new continuity.
    I can only hope that Miles Morales will survive. He's a great character.
    After One More Day I can't stand Peter Parker anyway, as he is totally derailed as a character and bogged down with ideas like his exotic Mary Sue Silk girlfriend.
    No, really, when even Octavius as the Superior Spider-Man was an upgrade (and a pretty good one), then current incarnation of Peter Parker IS a new low.
    So, unless they are planning to wipe One More Day as well, then virtually nothing of value will be lost with Parker being permanently replaced by Miles Morales.

I also hope that Kamala Khan will stay as Ms Marvel and Carol Danvers will stay as Captain Marvel.
    I have no opinion about Ms Thor, but since it's lately one of the better selling Marvel books it's unlikely they will get rid of her.

Well, at least I hope that Marvel is smarter than certain other publisher who goes happily with ideas like:
    "Hi, we heard u like Supergirl and Guy Gardner and they lately even had some rises in sales, so here, let us shove you even more Batfamily you were never interested with and we'll cancel Supergirl and Red Lanterns, kk?"
    edited May 2015
    Can't agree on Miles being better than Peter. Seeing the numbers between Amazing Spider-Man and Ultimate Spider-Man, it would seem many agree.

I didn't care for One More Day, but I was always hoping Peter would some how wind up with Felicia. :p

I both don't care for and do like Silk. I don't care for how they decided the best idea was make Silk some how the stronger Spider hero. That's Peter Parker. It's like the don't learn from their mistakes.
  • baelogventurebaelogventure Posts: 520 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    What's that, the Ultimate universe is very very stupid and the only good thing to come out of it was Sam Jackson as Nick Fury and everything else should be burned with thermite and whatever's left be dumped into a black hole?

I've been saying that since the Ultimate universe started.
  • flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    mary-jane-watson.jpg
    That's when things started to go downslope for Peter Parker/Spider-Man
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    edited May 2015
    And for Beyonder's sake I hope nobody will have a bright idea of reverting Magneto back to being just a villain.
    He's much more interesting now when he's an anti-hero.

Between Scott "I'm soo angsty now" Summers and Emma Frost someone has to be a voice of reason.
    edited May 2015
    What's that, the Ultimate universe is very very stupid and the only good thing to come out of it was Sam Jackson as Nick Fury and everything else should be burned with thermite and whatever's left be dumped into a black hole?

I've been saying that since the Ultimate universe started.

I thought Spider-Man was good, until they killed of Peter Parker. Then Ultimate went completely bust. I even liked how Spider-Woman is a Peter Parker clone in the Ultimate universe. However, when Peter died, I stopped reading Ultimate comics completely.

I gave a chance to Miles, but he was meh.
  • nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Miles isnt as good a Peter . Peter is this annoying smart **** that the bad guys just want to smush where Miles tries to understand where his foes are coming from and tries to get them around a table for a nice chat.

Miles is the comic book equivalent of Star Trek TNG U_U
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
    edited May 2015
    nepht wrote: »
    Miles isnt as good a Peter . Peter is this annoying smart **** that the bad guys just want to smush where Miles tries to understand where his foes are coming from and tries to get them around a table for a nice chat.

Peter is a whiny, irresponsible, self-centered immature cretin who sold his wife and unborn child to the devil to save life af an old woman who was like ninety years old and after one serious hear attack and chances are she'd be dead soon anyway. Great prioroties here, Parker.
    I guess NY is lucky that Mephisto did not ask you for blowing up Empire State Building because you'd do it as well.
    And that was written after various times Parker went through hard times to put things ok with his marriage.

Everything and everyone dies, especially old sickly people can die soon, it's just a life, but Peter had to do something that was probably the biggest character derailment and childish fit ever.
    Courtesy of bad writing, of course, but it fully now goes into his characterisation. It's a part of Peter Parker now, which makes him pathetic. Who cares about trying-so-hard-to-be-funny talk when it comes from a weak cretin?
    When I want a comic relief character of questionable mental health, I have Deadpool.

After this I can't take Parker seriously any longer. This character is a caricature now and will never be anything more.
    But then, with this kind of maturity and attitude he'd be a very ****ty father anyway, so maybe it's best for his child that it never came to be. It's probably also best for Mary Jane to be free of him than to repeat her mom's mistake and be with someone like her father.
    Miles is the comic book equivalent of Star Trek TNG U_U
    TNG is a great show. It has Patrick Stewart, much better special FXes than original series, much more mature writing AND is a series that actually did the most for popularising ST outside of US.
  • chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Secret Wars 1

I just finished reading it. It's kinda bleh.

Secret wars 2 isn't much better.
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

edited May 2015
    Peter is a whiny, irresponsible, self-centered immature cretin who sold his wife and unborn child to the devil to save life af an old woman who was like ninety years old and after one serious hear attack and chances are she'd be dead soon anyway. Great prioroties here, Parker.
    I guess NY is lucky that Mephisto did not ask you for blowing up Empire State Building because you'd do it as well.
    And that was written after various times Parker went through hard times to put things ok with his marriage.

Everything and everyone dies, especially old sickly people can die soon, it's just a life, but Peter had to do something that was probably the biggest character derailment and childish fit ever.
    Courtesy of bad writing, of course, but it fully now goes into his characterisation. It's a part of Peter Parker now, which makes him pathetic. Who cares about trying-so-hard-to-be-funny talk when it comes from a weak cretin?
    When I want a comic relief character of questionable mental health, I have Deadpool.

After this I can't take Parker seriously any longer. This character is a caricature now and will never be anything more.
    But then, with this kind of maturity and attitude he'd be a very ****ty father anyway, so maybe it's best for his child that it never came to be. It's probably also best for Mary Jane to be free of him than to repeat her mom's mistake and be with someone like her father.

TNG is a great show. It has Patrick Stewart, much better special FXes than original series, much more mature writing AND is a series that actually did the most for popularising ST outside of US.

I know it's been awhile, but hasn't it been written that it was MJ who took the deal?

That said, the whole thing really was a terrible writing mess and it was done because high ups are dumb. :p I think this is one of the problems that we're seeing now. Fans of the comics have gotten in control of them and so a mess occurs!

If we're going to go by that, for TNG then the new Trek movies are way better than the TNG movies because they not only have better FX those movies feel more like a movie and less long an extended episode.
  • xydaxydaxydaxyda Posts: 817 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I know it's been awhile, but hasn't it been written that it was MJ who took the deal?

That said, the whole thing really was a terrible writing mess and it was done because high ups are dumb. :p I think this is one of the problems that we're seeing now. Fans of the comics have gotten in control of them and so a mess occurs!

If not explicitly written out it has been at least implied that it was MJ who ultimately sealed the deal, knowing that the friendly neighborhood spider-man we know and love would be destroyed by guilt if we were to go on knowing that his actions were responsible for the deaths of not only uncle ben but aunt may as well. To save spider-man she had to make the choice to give up Peter. It wasn't until after the deal was made that Mephisto revealed their unborn daughter.(because he's the devil and the devil doesn't mention that sort of thing until it is already too late.)

anyhow written or unwritten this is my head canon now..it leaves spidey with a little dignity, makes MJ more heroic, and has allowed me to move forward from the entire fiasco...

and the people shouting the loudest about "Spider-Man sold his soul to satan and is ruined forever!" probably weren't reading the comics anyhow.
    edited May 2015

Peter Parker is Spiderman. Miles is a sidenote. Is Miles the "better" Spiderman? Sure no argument there he is written that way but your missing the point of Peter Parker ...he is an idiot...down on paper he might be one of the smartest Marvel heroes there is but the dude has no common sense. None what so ever.

And to be honest Parker was an annoying idiotic smartarse decades before Deadpool was even a thing.
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    edited May 2015
    Peter Parker is Spiderman. Miles is a sidenote. Is Miles the "better" Spiderman? Sure no argument there he is written that way but your missing the point of Peter Parker ...he is an idiot...down on paper he might be one of the smartest Marvel heroes there is but the dude has no common sense. None what so ever.

And to be honest Parker was an annoying idiotic smartarse decades before Deadpool was even a thing.

He's a badly written Spider-Man and pathetic person and that's enough for me to see him replaced by any other character, be it Spider-Gwen, Miles, Octavius, or his 2099 counterpart.

Unless this entire One More Day deal would be somehow retconned, like Peter "crybaby idiot" Parker being replaced by some non-Earth-616 Peter Parker who never had such deal with Mephisto, I simply don't want to read about this cretin anymore. He used to be a smart person and a responsible one. This was his character theme.
    Now he's just an idiot with snarky remarks.

Literally anyone will be better than Earth-616 crybaby Parker.

And in plain idiots category Deadpool is much better character and when he was written has no meaning. Because Deadpool is an idiot because he was invented to be one, but Parker is an idiot because he was derailed into one.

Spider-Man trademark belongs to publisher, if they are calling Morales Spider-Man, he IS Spider-Man of his continuity.
    xydaxyda wrote: »
    the people shouting the loudest about "Spider-Man sold his soul to satan and is ruined forever!" probably weren't reading the comics anyhow.
    The people shouting the loudest usually were reading Spider-Man prior to One More Day and stopped following afterwards. I went back to Spider-Man only for Superior Spiderman but when Octavius was gone, I've stopped following again.

And I don't know which way it was worse. MJ was heroic, but Parker again was left with no spine and respect. A hero who's broken because criminal can retaliate against him is a terrible, terrible character.
    Now, if Marvel really needed to get rid of this marriage, then fine. But there's a plenty of ways to do so. People are breaking up and divorcing all the time. This could be handled much, much better than this mess.
    If we're going to go by that, for TNG then the new Trek movies are way better than the TNG movies because they not only have better FX those movies feel more like a movie and less long an extended episode.

TNG has more complicated stories, less campy acting and writing in general and overall is much better to show to the modern audience. TOS is much, much more dated show and, for an example, in nineties when ST started showing in Eastern Europe, TOS was too dated and too campy to grab any interest.
    At some point show can be simply too dated to gather new fans, especially if it's fsci-fi or fantasy.
    But style of acting and writing also changes with time. Newer audience may not be fond of old movies because of acting alone.

And TNG movies actually are... Little more than extended episodes. TOS had better movies than TNG. TNG formula was, despite better graphics, more philosophical than adventurous when compared to TOS and it translates for rather boring movies, or for movies that felt out of place with rest of TNG.

TOS movies usually can be watched with no regard to TOS series. Even if you show them to someone who never was exposed to TOS, it works. In comparison TNG movies are making little sense for people who weren't following TNG. Especially Picards experience with Borg. They are extended episodes.

New Trek movies aren't bad. They're very good Star Wars movies in ST decorations. As shallow and full of 'splosions as SW, all's good. Were they made not in ST franchise, everything would be ok.
  • xydaxydaxydaxyda Posts: 817 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    15oib21.jpg

Was it a badly written and stupid gimmick to break up a marriage few fans wanted broken up?
    Yes.

Does it ruin Peter Parker as a character?
    No. (not in my opinion...)
    edited May 2015
    He's a badly written Spider-Man and pathetic person and that's enough for me to see him replaced by any other character, be it Spider-Gwen...

Oh please no... Nothing could be worse than reducing Spider-Man comics to a 22-page icanhascheezburger advertisement.

The issues I've read of that book looks like it was written by a committee made up of every child under 14 that has internet access.
    biffsig.jpg
    edited May 2015
    Superior-Spider-Man-31-1.png

Some people just like to argue for the sake of argument these people come and go but Peter Parker will always be Marvel's greatest hero.
    edited May 2015
    but Peter Parker will always be Marvel's greatest hero.
    That's Cap America or Tony Stark.
    And with more movie presence they will outgrow Parker even more. :wink:

You need to accept that some people argue because they have reason to consider Parker pathetic and you can't influence opinions.

Thankfully Marvel has more better titles, so I don't have to stop reading their comics and occasional spider-shaped ****stain in other titles is a small nuisance.
    edited May 2015

Hey man that's Sony's fault!

Hopefully next one will be better since Marvel has some say in it.
    biffsig.jpg
    edited May 2015
    Spiderman is now in the MCU. Marvel is just gonna run rampant with its flagship. I will call it now the Spiderman movies are going to be the best of the MCU lot.

With dumb **** bad guys like Doc Oct and Mysterio being done in a proper dumbass way it cant fail.

latest?cb=20120228182415

I so hope they use Mysterio. They just need to get the director that did Guardians of the Galaxy and it will be golden.
    edited May 2015
    Spiderman is now in the MCU.

He's not precisely in MCU proper. He's still a Sony character allowed into MCU movies, whaveter movies with him will be made, they'll be made by Sony, not Marvel.

Marvel's not gonna run with this "flagship" anywhere. He'll be lucky to have guest star appearance in Avengers movies, that's all.
    Their movies did so much better than Spiderman's that there's little point for them to switch direction from Avengers into a character who's, for general, not comic book followers, movie audience not as relevant as previous MCU characters.

Considering MCU is focused around Avengers, even GOTG had Thanos, I doubt they will ever focus on Spiderman. He might be needed for Civil War, but hardly as a major character.
    edited May 2015
    Oh please no... Nothing could be worse than reducing Spider-Man comics to a 22-page icanhascheezburger advertisement.

The issues I've read of that book looks like it was written by a committee made up of every child under 14 that has internet access.

Over 100k sold copies as of February 2015, and that's only counting issues shipped to retailers, not counting digital sales like Comixology.
    Which made it the best selling comic in Spider family.

Now, I usually don't go with sales numbers because a lot of **** also sells really good, but I think this one being popular is a good thing.

Superhero comic books don't belong to specialist comic book stores, they do belong to newstands, they should be pandering to audience, they should do everything to be popular. They aren't high art, they are pop-culture and they should be either trying to be pop, or be gone.
    Nowadays an equivalent of a newstand is more a digital copy on tablet and using internet memes is modern equivalent of 60 and 70-ties camp, and this makes comic books like Spider-Gwen being ok. They're finally catching with times instead of being something hip and niche.

Being niche and not being able to catch with modern audience is what was killing superhero books for a long time.
    I'm happy to finally see this attitude in industry slowly dying out and creators trying new things.

And this unfortunately means that a lot of things I loved in comic books also will go away, but for me it's an acceptable price to pay.
    edited May 2015
    Memes. "Why be clever if someone else can do it for you?"

I get that you have to play to your audience, but this is the worst possible way to do that. Obviously not financially worst, but, maybe integrity worst.

Honestly if this is the wave of the future, maybe I'll just fire up some lolcats and let them do the writing for my comics. I'll be a millionaire.
    biffsig.jpg
    edited May 2015

You need to accept that some people argue because they have reason to consider Parker pathetic and you can't influence opinions.

Thankfully Marvel has more better titles, so I don't have to stop reading their comics and occasional spider-shaped ****stain in other titles is a small nuisance.

What? Please. Before the movies no one cared about Iron Man. I'm not even sure people care that much about Captain America. Right now he isn't even Steve.

And seeing as how Spider-Man is outselling Iron Man in comics, I'm not sure Iron Man is really the more popular comic book super hero.

Iron Man is popular because RDJ is awesome. :p It's not like Iron Man 2 is considered the best of the Marvel movies and while I loved it, there were plenty of comic fans who didn't care for the Mandarin twist (I loved it myself).

No one wanted Peter and MJ broken up and if it had to be done, they would've prefer a different way of doing it (divorce or death of MJ)...instead we got that, because somehow, saying Peter was divorced made him seem old. :p
    edited May 2015
    What? Please. Before the movies no one cared about Iron Man. I'm not even sure people care that much about Captain America. Right now he isn't even Steve.

And seeing as how Spider-Man is outselling Iron Man in comics, I'm not sure Iron Man is really the more popular comic book super hero.

Iron Man is popular because RDJ is awesome. :p It's not like Iron Man 2 is considered the best of the Marvel movies and while I loved it, there were plenty of comic fans who didn't care for the Mandarin twist (I loved it myself).

And who atm really cares about comic books in pop-culture?

Numbers for a successful comic book these days are like 100k for Spider-Man and maybe 200k for #1 new issues of new titles (after which one it quickly goes down to something like 100k). That's a no-factor compared to movie tickets or video games.

How well Avenger books are selling in comparison to Spider books is not that important, when their movies are selling better. At least not for anyone who's not a comic book reader.

Which actually makes Avengers characters more relevant in pop culture than Spiderman, at least now. How well comic books are doing is not very important in this comparison.
    Most important and best Marvel heroes are now those with better presence in medias like movies and games, than in comic books.
    And it doesn't matter that RDJ is Iron Man's cause for popularity, what matters is popularity itself.

And I really don't believe in Marvel giving so much spotlight in movies to a character co-owned by another company as they are giving to their own.

Oh, and the best debuting Spiderverse book, if we're going into prints, and the one still outselling Silk or Parker? Spider-Gwen only has dead Parker in flashbacks, so if I had to guess, new readers don't even care about him that much.

I think Miles Morales was hurt mostly because being bogged down in Ultimateverse. If he was somehow introduced on Earth-616 as a supporting cast, and then maybe given his own title... But being set on the Ultimate Earth is basically a niche sentence.
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I must confess, I haven't been following Spider-Man that closely lately, other than to read the introduction of Silk and a few other selected stories. But it seems to me that the current writers, at least, aren't portraying Peter as being "whiny" at all. He references the Parker Luck, because he's been Reality's butt-monkey since the year I was born. (Incidentally, Quesada, that's what makes Peter seem "old" - not being married, not having a kid, not even the potential of divorce, but the fact that this is going to be the 52nd year of Spider-Man's existence in realtime.)
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    edited May 2015
    How well Avenger books are selling in comparison to Spider books is not that important, when their movies are selling better. At least not for anyone who's not a comic book reader.

Which actually makes Avengers characters more relevant in pop culture than Spiderman, at least now. How well comic books are doing is not very important in this comparison.

I thought this Peter vs Miles thing was about the comics...?

Pardon if I'm misreading, but it seems like you're bringing up the movies to defend points about the comics, and then saying that the comics are irrelevant in a discussion about the comics.
    biffsig.jpg
    edited May 2015
    I thought this Peter vs Miles thing was about the comics...?

Pardon if I'm misreading, but it seems like you're bringing up the movies to defend points about the comics, and then saying that the comics are irrelevant in a discussion about the comics.

Spiderman being the biggest Marvel Hero ever wasn't.
    He's not since this genre was spreading to other mediums. Since comparison was also made betwen Avengers cast and Spider-Man on basis that Amazing Spider-Man books sell better. Well, that's something not very relevant these days.

Peter vs Miles will be obviously only about comic books because Miles has no other presence (I think he was in one video game and that's about it).

But I'd rather not bet any money if any of Spider-Men was the greatest or most recognisable Marvel hero for random person. Not anymore.
    edited May 2015
    As someone who makes their living selling comics from my experience I can tell you this. Comic book wise people still dont buy Captain America, Iron Man sales are vastly up, Spiderman still sells more than both.

Marvel big book at the moment are none of the above its Star Wars.

OH and Spiderman still is Marvels biggest hero and their mascot. Someone going shouty shouty saying the same stupid stuff over and over again aint gonna change that.

*edit* I also have to add the biggest selling Marvel related merchandise I stock is still the legendary Spiderman Jim Jams.
    edited May 2015
    And who atm really cares about comic books in pop-culture?

Numbers for a successful comic book these days are like 100k for Spider-Man and maybe 200k for #1 new issues of new titles (after which one it quickly goes down to something like 100k). That's a no-factor compared to movie tickets or video games.

Most important and best Marvel heroes are now those with better presence in medias like movies and games, than in comic books.
    And it doesn't matter that RDJ is Iron Man's cause for popularity, what matters is popularity itself.

And I really don't believe in Marvel giving so much spotlight in movies to a character co-owned by another company as they are giving to their own.

Oh, and the best debuting Spiderverse book, if we're going into prints, and the one still outselling Silk or Parker? Spider-Gwen only has dead Parker in flashbacks, so if I had to guess, new readers don't even care about him that much.

I think Miles Morales was hurt mostly because being bogged down in Ultimateverse. If he was somehow introduced on Earth-616 as a supporting cast, and then maybe given his own title... But being set on the Ultimate Earth is basically a niche sentence.

And in pop culture all that changes quickly with a good movie and a flop. :p

And what all do we hear? People wanting Spider-Man under the MCU. What event happened that changed all the MCU plans? Spider-Man being put into the MCU.

As for Spider-Gwen. Issue 1 out selling others? Makes sense. Then the numbers dropped to just a bit above Amazing Spider-Man.

I do think Spider-Gwen will survive more than Silk though.
    edited May 2015
    As someone who makes their living selling comics from my experience I can tell you this. Comic book wise people still dont buy Captain America, Iron Man sales are vastly up, Spiderman still sells more than both.

Marvel big book at the moment are none of the above its Star Wars.

OH and Spiderman still is Marvels biggest hero and their mascot. Someone going shouty shouty saying the same stupid stuff over and over again aint gonna change that.

*edit* I also have to add the biggest selling Marvel related merchandise I stock is still the legendary Spiderman Jim Jams.

Spoken from a perspective of a comic book shop, though. You're going to Marvel.com and now he has to share spotlight with their newest darlings.

You have to live with not everyone loving your Peter crybaby "boo-hoo-May-is-deeaaad-someone-hug-me*sob-sob" Parker", fangirl.

Or maybe Marvel will retcon this idiotism and this character will be again something bearable.

And you said it, the best selling Marvel books now are Star Wars, not even superheroes.
    As for Spider-Gwen. Issue 1 out selling others? Makes sense. Then the numbers dropped to just a bit above Amazing Spider-Man.

I do think Spider-Gwen will survive more than Silk though.

That's more han 8k above ASM, which is not "just above" as there are comic books in circulation with entire sales like 8 - 10k, and these are comic books made on licenses from known IPs. Most of IDW or Dark Horse offerings have sales within like that.

Which makes Spider-Gwen margin over Amazing Spider-Man a rather surprising. Or maybe Peter Parker as a character ins't as crucial anymore, it's more about Spider-Man whoever it is.
    But I suppose it will end with Spider-Gwen eventually slowing down and being closer to other Marvel books with sales. For now it is a novelty factor that keeps it high.
    And in pop culture all that changes quickly with a good movie and a flop.
    It changes with promotion. Batman's movies between Burton's and Nolan movies were average at best, but trademark and advertising sold them anyway. Bayformers are terrible movies, but they were still blockbusters.
    It will be very hard to flop for Marvel movies right now, even if they suddenly turn terrible.
    And what all do we hear? People wanting Spider-Man under the MCU. What event happened that changed all the MCU plans? Spider-Man being put into the MCU.
    What do we hear is that Spider-Man remains being owned by Sony, not having an MCU movie and being put in a guest role in a Cap America title.
    Sony has rights to character movies with wall-crawler and a final say with everything involving him in MCU movies, so it's not like he's suddenly given an MCU movie. More like he's now allowed guest appearance.

Oh, an movie Spider-Man is basically his pre deal with Mephisto incarnation/Mephisto never happened, so it's like using his alternate version.

Its Earth-616 Spider-Man who's all kind of pathetic now, not the character idea in general.

And, personally. I'll just sit through the Secret Wars and I'll wait till the dust settels to see what Marvel finally does with thier universe.
    It's unlikely I'll ever touch with a 10-foot pole everything involving present day Parker but maybe something interesting will happend to the Spider family.
    Maybe someone will at least throw something heavy and deadly on Silk, or something else good will happend, like bringing characters from other Earths to 616. Whatever.
    edited May 2015
    I hope Spider-Gwen crashes and burns hard because it's the laziest and dumbest kind of writing I've ever read in a comic book, and that's literally not exaggeration.
    biffsig.jpg
    edited May 2015
    I hope Spider-Gwen crashes and burns hard because it's the laziest and dumbest kind of writing I've ever read in a comic book, and that's literally not exaggeration.
    I hope it will stay, because for now it's better new take on Marvel 'verse than the Ultimate Earth.
    Except they can't really port Gwen to Earth-616 because then she'll have no sense as a character.
    Though I'm borderline hating on lettering in this book. Onomatopoeias are barely readable and if they were supposed to look dynamic, well... Imho they look halfassed at best.
    edited May 2015
    I hope it will stay, because for now it's better new take on Marvel 'verse than the Ultimate Earth.
    Except they can't really port Gwen to Earth-616 because then she'll have no sense as a character.
    Though I'm borderline hating on lettering in this book. Onomatopoeias are barely readable and if they were supposed to look dynamic, well... Imho they look halfassed at best.

Agreed. While I think they'll move Gwen over to the main 616, I think she's better off in her own universe where she gets the spotlight, where she has her rogue gallery.

But as for her sales from a previous post, still a new comic, so #2 outselling. Not a sure thing yet. I think we'll see Spider-Man pull back ahead, but looking at the numbers, I now wonder. Spider-Man was selling way more before, but that seemed to be during the Spider-verse event. Do only the event issues really sell well?
  • sistersiliconsistersilicon Posts: 1,687 Arc User
    edited May 2015

I'll give Spider-Gwen a chance if only because Jason Latour apears to have learned a lesson from Superman: Speeding Bullets. He got the fanservice alt-universe twists out of the way early so he can expand from there. Speeding Bullets started with a wide-open premise*, but used the alt-universe parallels to contract the story to a pre-ordained conclusion.

Besides, anybody writing a bad alt-universe story has a long, long, long way to go to catch up to Star Trek Into Darkness. I once described that movie to somebody as a fanservice transporter accident: The audience was beamed into the fourth wall, and the results were gruesome.

*: For those of you who haven't read it, here's the Cliff's Notes spoilers: Elseworlds one-shots like to play with the idea of baby Kal-El's lifeboat crashing to Earth in a different time or place. In this case, it's the grounds of Wayne Manor, where he's raised as Bruce Wayne. So you end up with a Kryptonian, but with Bruce's effed-up psyche and obsession with bats. (Maybe even more effed up, since he discovered his heat vision by incinerating the mugger who just shot his parents.) The first half of the book is a cool look at a Batman who still doesn't kill or use guns, but needs no gadgets because he's faster than a speeding bullet, more powerful than a yadda yadda yadda. Then Lois Lane moves to Gotham to take a job at a Wayne-owned newspaper, and Lex Luthor falls into a chemical vat and comes out insane and disfigured with a permanent smile and the second half of the book rides the rails straight to Supermanville.
    Choose your enemies carefully, because they will define you / Make them interesting, because in some ways they will mind you
    They're not there in the beginning, but when your story ends / Gonna last with you longer than your friends
    edited May 2015

The sound effects may be hard to read at times, and they use awkward words, but it looks a hell of a lot better than the real lazy sound effects done on books like Invincible (at least, the first five trades I read). They picked like one font, decided it was good enough, then just wrote out the effect, put a gradient and stroke on it and called it a day.

I also don't like the balloons. The tails are weird and there's no outline. I think you need the outline to separate it from the artwork, but it's a small nit to pick.

Also, with what's going on in secret wars, is there going to be a 616 or will it just be Earth now, since there's only one universe left? And what happens to all the series that were in alternate universes?
    biffsig.jpg
    edited May 2015
    Also, with what's going on in secret wars, is there going to be a 616 or will it just be Earth now, since there's only one universe left? And what happens to all the series that were in alternate universes?
    No idea.
    I heard that X-titles might be moved to their alternate Earth separated from the rest of continuity...
    And other rumors.

Personally I suspect it will end with some alternate characters being ported to Earth-616 and the rest reverted to status quo.
    Marvel won't stay away from creating multiverses, not for too long, at least.
    edited May 2015
    No idea.
    I heard that X-titles might be moved to their alternate Earth separated from the rest of continuity...
    And other rumors.

Personally I suspect it will end with some alternate characters being ported to Earth-616 and the rest reverted to status quo.
    Marvel won't stay away from creating multiverses, not for too long, at least.

Actually you seem to be correct on this one. One of the rumors is and its more likely that the mutants are going to be changed from mutants to something like the inhumans and what we are seeing in the Avengers 2 and Agents of Shield in a move to pry all things mutant related from FOX.
    edited May 2015
    Actually you seem to bei correct on this one. One of the rumors is and its more likely that the mutants are going to be changed from mutants to something like the inhumans and what we are seeing in the Avengers 2 and Agents of Shield in a move to pry all things mutant related from FOX.

So, Wolverine, Jubilee, Gambit, Cyclops, Emma Frost, Ice Man, and the rest all become Inhumans now? :/
    edited May 2015
    So, Wolverine, Jubilee, Gambit, Cyclops, Emma Frost, Ice Man, and the rest all become Inhumans now? :/

More likely they will be moved to alternate Earth away from the main Marvel continuity, and mutant's place on Earth-616 will be given to Inhumans. Maybe some Inhuman surrogates will be made in Earth-616 continuity, so Marvel can use these characters in movies.
    I doubt Marvel will risk cancelling all X-titles.

Still, this wrestling over movie rights starts to look childish.
    edited May 2015

The whole universes getting destroyed and then remade is actually looking like a ploy to get Wolverine and Co into the MCU through a loop hole that Fox has the rights to make only Marvel mutant movies.

If the Xmen end up no longer mutant then Fox loses their rights to them. Or at least can only use the old versions.

You watch Avengers 2 and the current Agents of Shield story arc then look at this universe reboot story arc in the comics and obvious sh*t becomes obvious.

Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch where a test to see if legally "mutants" could appear in the MCU without having to deal with FOX.
    More likely they will be moved to alternate Earth away from the main Marvel continuity, and mutant's place on Earth-616 will be given to Inhumans. Maybe some Inhuman surrogates will be made in Earth-616 continuity, so Marvel can use these characters in movies.
    I doubt Marvel will risk cancelling all X-titles.

Still, this wrestling over movie rights starts to look childish.

I dont think they are going to can the Xmen I honestly think after this universe reboot we are still going to have all the Xmen but I doubt they will still be "mutants" Marvel is already flinging the word Miracle around the MCU.
  • helbjornhelbjorn Posts: 678 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I don't believe Marvel Studios can do any wrong currently. I thought for certain GotG was going to be their first stumble, considering the IP was something virtually no one outside of a comic shop regular had heard of, but I was very wrong. I haven't seen it yet, but apparently it was quite the success financially.

I want to say the same thing about the upcoming Ant-Man movie, but I would probably be wrong again. I already have a bad taste of the film from the latest trailer, considering how much they are screwing with the origin story. Plus, I just detest Hank Pym as a character (from the comics, anyway).
    edited May 2015
    helbjorn wrote: »
    . Plus, I just detest Hank Pym as a character (from the comics, anyway).

Comon Hank Pym slapped a super Human that has like super strength, can grow to INSANE SIZES and can fire energy bolts from her hands and he still gets crap for it :I

Dude has a death wish though >_>"

Playing Marvel Lego the other day Mike had just swapped to the Wasp and I was already on Ant Man...give you three guesses at what I did :P