test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Update difficulty level scaling

pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
edited December 2014 in Suggestions Box
Currently, difficulty level scaling doesn't serve a lot of purpose -- you don't get anything out of running at higher difficulty, and the major effect of higher difficulty is higher tedium, not higher difficulty. So, my thoughts for principles behind a revamp:
  • Unique rewards for high difficulty will cause accessibility complaints. Rather than doing that, give extra drop rolls for higher difficulty.
  • Durability is not difficulty. If you can tank 800 dps, and a critter does 500 dps, increasing its hit points just makes it take longer. There should be some bump to durability, but smaller than the bump to drop rate.
  • Damage, on the other hand, does increase difficulty. High end builds can handle quite a lot more dps than current critters put out, so some bump here is reasonable.
  • Self-healing also bumps difficulty. Avoid percentage-based bonuses, though, anything relevant on a henchman will be silly on a legendary. Probably best to heal with a flat rate based on entity class -- x0.25 for H, x0.5 for V, x1 for MV/E, x2 for SV, x5 for L.
  • Finally, threat management affects difficulty. Increase aggro radius and perception of critters.
So, my thought on overall scaling:
  • Avoidance Rating: +25% per level (20%/33%/43%/50% avoidance)
  • Crit Probability: +10% per level
  • Crit Severity: +10% per level
  • Damage: +50% per level
  • Damage Resistance: +20% per level
  • Dodge Chance: +10% per level
  • Healing: 50/sec per level at level 40, scaled for critter category
  • Rewards: +100% per level (1 extra roll on drop tables per level)
Overall damage resistance and output, including dodge
  • Normal: damage x1.025, effective hit points x1.02
  • Hard: damage x1.635, effective hit points x1.29, healing 50/sec (effective 65)
  • Very Hard: damage x2.35, effective hit points x1.61, healing 100/s (effective 161)
  • Elite: damage x3.2, effective hit points x2.00, healing 150/s (effective 300)
I doubt anyone would bother with Elite other than showing off, but the other two levels might be appealing for bling-hunting.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    edited December 2014
    gradii wrote: »
    I'd rather have higher difficulties feature the introduction of more interesting enemy mechanics and attacks designed to make things hard on you.
    That's a lot of work, though you could always add a cooldown reduction so they use shtick powers more often. My proposal I think is realistically achievable.
  • Options
    spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    [*]Finally, threat management affects difficulty. Increase aggro radius and perception of critters.

This is the only thing in your list I think would actually add anything. Otherwise, all your suggestions just narrow the type of builds that can participate, which runs completely counter to the core dynamic of the game.

Keep in mind that higher damage also adds tedium. It draws out the fights just like higher durability would for many people because they would have to be constantly retreating, or worse constantly respawning - often with enemies resetting to full health. There's not much skill a player can show when they're repeatedly being one-shotted. If that higher damage isn't attached to a mechanic that players can skillfully avoid, then you're really just forcing players to pile on more durability.

Elite difficulty should require high skill, not fotm builds or "LF2M need dedicated tank and healer".

That's a lot of work, though you could always add a cooldown reduction so they use shtick powers more often. My proposal I think is realistically achievable.

You're not the cryptic dev team lead. You don't worry about realistically achievable, not your job.

Worrying about "realistic" or "achievable" or "feasible" or "possible" only leads to boring suggestions. Don't compromise on what you want just because of some myth that the devs can't do anything.

After all, what's the worst that could happen? Your "unreasonable" suggestion gets ignored along with the thousands of other "reasonable" requests that have been made over the years?
  • Options
    taintedmesstaintedmess Posts: 446 Arc User
    edited December 2014

Running up walls is one of these, the foundry is not, for example.

Running up walls is perfectly possible in the game as it stands they would just need to go through the whole thing and make walls a runnable surface and include animation for running (and lets face it crawling) on walls as well as new animations for using powers when on walls so running on walls is possible its just not realistically possible as it would mean a massive over hall of the game.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    spinnytop wrote: »
    This is the only thing in your list I think would actually add anything. Otherwise, all your suggestions just narrow the type of builds that can participate, which runs completely counter to the core dynamic of the game.
    Note that there are no unique rewards for doing so. Yes, difficulty scaling locks some people out. That's inherently going to be true.
    Keep in mind that higher damage also adds tedium.
    This combination would just turn fights binary: you win fast or not at all.
    Elite difficulty should require high skill, not fotm builds or "LF2M need dedicated tank and healer".
    Building high-end toons is a skill. So is building good teams.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    But there SHOULD be unique/significantly higher rewards
    Increased drop rate is a significant reward. It's not a unique reward, but there are problems with unique rewards.
    and considering that, higher difficulty levels must be designed WELL, not in a halfassed way which severely limits participation.
    There's no such thing as a higher difficulty level that doesn't limit participation.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Note that there are no unique rewards for doing so. Yes, difficulty scaling locks some people out. That's inherently going to be true.

It locks people out in a way that is completely contrary to the game's core dynamic: customization.

For some insight into how this ends up working out, see: pvp.
    This combination would just turn fights binary: you win fast or not at all.

Which is a bad thing, because it only limits participation further.
    Building high-end toons is a skill.

It's not actually. It's not much of a skill if you can have someone else completely do it for you. That's all that this would encourage by the way: more people copying each others builds just so they can win the content. That's why this sort of thing is always a dead end... eventually everyone just figures out the build they need to use, and then the content is trivialized and people quickly get bored. The major flaw in numbers based "difficulty", which becomes a massive flaw when applied in a game where players are meant to be customizing rather than calculating.

The encounter is meant to be challenging, but the challenge would never actually get a chance to assert itself... because we already have the builds that would be used to overcome it. It's not as if people would be figuring out new builds to do this content... they would just use the top specialized builds we already have since the top ends of min-maxing have already been reached.

Players already exhausted the potential for numbers based difficulty years before Cryptic would ever re-implement it.

So is building good teams.

It's not actually. Sitting around waiting for a tank and a healer isn't a skill. Rejecting people because they wouldn't make a "good team" because they decided to make characters rather than min-max'd builds is neither a skill, nor is it something that belongs in this game.
    There's no such thing as a higher difficulty level that doesn't limit participation.

There are however difficulty levels that don't limit participation of those people engaging in the game's core mechanic.

Viper NPCs are largely recognized as being more challenging than most other groups. However, the way in which they are challenging in no way limits participation of any kind of build. Same with Ao'Qephoth - contrary to widespread speculation, he can be beaten by any group of builds, and a wide range of levels.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Yeah just don't try melee tanking Ao with a lowbie, or someone who doesn't know how to pull back when he tries to life drain, block the ranged drains, unless the team has abnormally low dps in general it's doable.

Bursts are a bit more broken with Ao.

I highlighted the part that is an acceptable form of limiting participation in challenging content. Those people are unable to participate because they don't have the skills to beat the fight - in order to beat the fight, they do not have to change their build, they just have to learn to play better, something they can do while still using the customized bit of self expression that is their character.

They can also build to beat the fight. This is in fact the genius behind Ao, he has many different ways that players can become able to beat him, both through build and through skill... despite having so many ways that he can be beaten, he remains challenging for many players.

Challenging content in CO should be built by whoever made Ao'Qephoth.

Whoever made Bursts on the other hand should be switched to making costumes or something, because Bursts are pretty terrible all around - in fact, they exist as a testament to why the suggestion presented in the OP wouldn't work out very well.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    I highlighted the part that is an acceptable form of limiting participation in challenging content.
    By not making it actually difficult? Ao in a Grab or Smash is basically 'you must be competent to win', he's still a soloable critter in a 5-man instance...
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    By not making it actually difficult? Ao in a Grab or Smash is basically 'you must be competent to win', he's still a soloable critter in a 5-man instance...

That's how real challenge works.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    That's how real challenge works.
    Real challenges have more than one level...
  • Options
    aiqaaiqa Posts: 2,620 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    We have to stop labeling things as "realistically achievable" and "not realistically achievable".

that is a matter of opinion which changes depending on who you ask. Asking for half baked measures to add artificial difficulty will not bring real improvement to the game.

If someone deems somethings unlikely to ever be implemented due to how much work they expect is involved, or rather see that work go into other stuff, they are allowed to say so.

Note that aswering a suggesting with "this is to much work, it's likely not going to happen, or has even been confirmed to not going to happen" is not saying, or even implying, you can't make those suggestions. Just like how you're free to make any suggestion you like, other players are free to consider them silly or a waste of dev time for CO (and make replies stating their opinions).

If anything, I'd like to see people stop implying that reasonable replies, without any insults, are unwelcome (I consider that rather rude). And if they really are unwelcome, maybe an open forum is not the best place to post your ideas.
    Ask for the things which will REALLY improve the game, and don't restrict yourself to a box created by what is imagined to be "realistic".

Like "completely remake CO"? It could be so much better than the old CO... maybe.
    But with the current dev team it would take years, in which time they'd have no time for maintaining CO. It is not only "can they do it if they want to", but also "is it worth spending the limited dev resources on, or is there something much better", low hanging fruits and all....
    The only things which truly are not realistic are things made completely impossible by the engines design.

Running up walls is one of these, the foundry is not, for example.

(the foundry would simply require a lot of work flagging the assets in CO's version of the engine)

Wall running is perfectly doable, adding navmeshes is just a lot of work for little gain. So its unlikely to ever be implemented, which has been said quite often. But that is in no way different from lots of other stuff that takes a ton of work for little gains.

So to get a bit on topic, I agree adjustments to the difficulty buffs on mobs seems like an easy way to add a bit more challenge to CO. If it's doable maybe even add a mob multiplier to them, meaning that for every mob an additional identical mob is spawned.
  • Options
    soulforgersoulforger Posts: 1,649 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I will just say that just buffing enemy damage and other stats is not going to make things truly harder, but rather it will limit playability by making it impossible for most builds. This would cripple the game horribly. Mobs don't need to hit harder, they need to hit smarter.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Real challenges have more than one level...

Some of them, sure. How's that relevant?
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    soulforger wrote: »
    I will just say that just buffing enemy damage and other stats is not going to make things truly harder, but rather it will limit playability by making it impossible for most builds.
    Even assuming that's the case, which it might be for at least my proposed elite level, so what? You're not losing out on anything by being unable to do it.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    aiqa wrote: »
    <stuff>

Okay let's make a deal. Anyone who wants to make that sort of response can save themselves some time and just use the following form response:

[Insert cynicism].

Gets 100% of the message across, takes a lot less time to type, and nobody will feel the need to respond to it. Also if one person already made that response, nobody else has to. So efficient.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Even assuming that's the case, which it might be for at least my proposed elite level, so what? You're not losing out on anything by being unable to do it.

Actually, in this case, because of the sheer amount of content that would be affected by it, many people would be losing something - the chance to participate. And they'd be losing this something on a lot of content.

I'd be fine if they came out with a small number of numeric challenges, because obviously there are some people out there who would want to do them (and some of them might even keep finding excitement in them after having overcome the numbers). However, it'd be a waste to apply this to everything that has difficulty scaling. Realistically, you only actually need one of these number challenges, because ultimately no matter how many different encounters you apply this dynamic to it's always the exact same thing in every case.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    I will just say that just buffing enemy damage and other stats is not going to make things truly harder, but rather it will limit playability by making it impossible for most builds. This would cripple the game horribly. Mobs don't need to hit harder, they need to hit smarter.

Three years ago mobs were relatively hitting much harder, but even back then none was complaining the game was to hard. Also there is a reason there are multiple difficulty levels, changes to difficulty scaling will not break anything for anyone, you get to choose the one you like best.

Smarter mobs would be nice, but even new high profile games have pretty dumb combat AI, and CO is not really suited for Bayonetta style difficulty, so I won't expect much out of that.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Actually, in this case, because of the sheer amount of content that would be affected by it, many people would be losing something - the chance to participate. And they'd be losing this something on a lot of content.
    Um... difficulty scaling is optional. They would be losing out on Resistance wings and one of Therakiel's drops, those are the only things in the game keyed to Elite difficulty.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Um... difficulty scaling is optional. They would be losing out on Resistance wings and one of Therakiel's drops, those are the only things in the game keyed to Elite difficulty.

If difficulty scaling was changed, I'd prefer those things to drop on lower difficulty settings too.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    If difficulty scaling was changed, I'd prefer those things to drop on lower difficulty settings too.
    They've been kind of devalued because they were so easy to get, but sure. Even with these numbers, I suspect most builds could handle Elite as long as they actually used the recommended team size (i.e. if it says a 3-man mission, actually take 3 along); a 1-man mission at Elite should be about as hard as a 3-man mission on Normal, and soloing 3-man missions is not rare.
  • Options
    edited December 2014

This type of content wouldn't be optional for people with non-optimized builds... it would be restricted due to being impossible. Something cannot be restricted and optional.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Okay let's make a deal.*stuff*

Projecting a "bit"? Trying to make these kind of arguments about personal traits is getting a bit tiring.
    This type of content wouldn't be optional for people with non-optimized builds... it would be restricted due to being impossible. Something cannot be restricted and optional.

A difficulty setting is content? Certain things dropping only on elite seems really easy to change to me.
    You're making a mistake in trying to apply "restricted" and "optional" to the same thing. Setting difficulty to elite is (should be) fully optional but restricts some builds from soloing certain lairs. So people would have the option to lower their difficulty settings so they can solo everything in exactly the same way as they can now.

That is exactly why there is a difficulty setting in the first place. Really now, this stuff is not that complicated.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Projecting a "bit"? Trying to make these kind of arguments about personal traits is getting a bit tiring.

If it's so tiring, then stop doing that?

A difficulty setting is content? Certain things dropping only on elite seems really easy to change to me.

Yes, actually. Just like in WoW, where "Heroic Instances" were content.

You're making a mistake in trying to apply "restricted" and "optional" to the same thing.

You mean where I pointed out that something can't be restricted and optional at the same time?
    Setting difficulty to elite is (should be) fully optional but restricts some builds from soloing certain lairs.

It restricts some builds from even attempting lairs at that difficulty setting even if there's an entire group of them.
    So people would have the option to lower their difficulty settings so they can solo everything in exactly the same way as they can now.

Or, people should have the option to try a more challenging experience without having to change their build. In fact, this should always be the goal in a game based around making a custom build.

That is exactly why there is a difficulty setting in the first place.

It's not actually.
    Really now, this stuff is not that complicated.

And yet you don't seem to understand it at all.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Heroic mode changed the drop tables and changed critter mechanics.
    You mean where I pointed out that something can't be restricted and optional at the same time?
    It's optional, it just happens to be something that you'll fail at.
    It restricts some builds from even attempting lairs at that difficulty setting even if there's an entire group of them.
    No it doesn't. It only limits their ability to succeed.
    Or, people should have the option to try a more challenging experience without having to change their build.
    It's impossible to make something that can challenge everybody but doesn't lock anyone out.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    If it's so tiring, then stop doing that?

I do take care to avoid things like that.

I've never played wow, in CO difficulty settings are not, and the suggestions in the OP wouldn't make it so, and the suggestions that would make it so were not what you responded to.

Yup, those are not about the same thing. If you try to make them and then argue against it, that is a straw man argument.

So? Set the difficulty to something lower....
    Or, people should have the option to try a more challenging experience without having to change their build. In fact, this should always be the goal in a game based around making a custom build.

Challenging is not absolutely tied to difficulty settings, if your build (or player abilities) is not able to handle one setting, set it lower. You can make it exactly as challenging as you like.
    It's not actually.

Not going to get into a yes no shouting contest.
    And yet you don't seem to understand it at all.

Sigh... maybe cool down a little?
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    The last time I checked, players hate HP bags with one shots. Which is basically what you are asking for in this update to difficulty. A player, REGARDLESS OF BUILD, should be able to solo anything that is possible to go in by yourself on ANY DIFFICULTY. The only thing difficulty should do is change mob/boss mechanics to be smarter and more challenging, thus requiring movement and blocking. No optimizing to be a durability build with self heals with con as a primary or secondary super stat. No difficulty should require certain builds. Otherwise, you'd force silver players to not do lairs, and even most gold toons to not be able to do the content. Contrary to popular belief, optimized builds are actually a minority, belonging to a handful of players. Most players do not play with an optimized build. Most builds are simple and built for theme and enjoyment.

Doing an update that increases damage and hp would LIMIT the number of builds and toons able to do the content. Which is the exact opposite of what a company wants to do in an MMO.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Heroic mode changed the drop tables and changed critter mechanics.

Yes, and that made them new content. What's your point?

It's optional, it just happens to be something that you'll fail at.

Which is why it's restricted, because failure is dependent on build.
    No it doesn't. It only limits their ability to succeed.

How is that different?
    It's impossible to make something that can challenge everybody but doesn't lock anyone out.

I never claimed it was possible. The claim I made was that the lock out doesn't have to be based on build.

The last time I checked, players hate HP bags with one shots. Which is basically what you are asking for in this update to difficulty. A player, REGARDLESS OF BUILD, should be able to solo anything that is possible to go in by yourself on ANY DIFFICULTY. The only thing difficulty should do is change mob/boss mechanics to be smarter and more challenging, thus requiring movement and blocking. No optimizing to be a durability build with self heals with con as a primary or secondary super stat. No difficulty should require certain builds. Otherwise, you'd force silver players to not do lairs, and even most gold toons to not be able to do the content. Contrary to popular belief, optimized builds are actually a minority, belonging to a handful of players. Most players do not play with an optimized build. Most builds are simple and built for theme and enjoyment.

Doing an update that increases damage and hp would LIMIT the number of builds and toons able to do the content. Which is the exact opposite of what a company wants to do in an MMO.

^ this.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    I've never played wow, in CO difficulty settings are not, and the suggestions in the OP wouldn't make it so, and the suggestions that would make it so were not what you responded to.

Such things have been considered content before. If you want to debate that, go ahead. I'm not going to - I'm just going to keep pointing out that such things have been considered content before.
    Yup, those are not about the same thing. If you try to make them and then argue against it, that is a straw man argument.

You're not making sense at all here. Please elaborate exactly which of my statements you're talking about.
    So? Set the difficulty to something lower....

At which point you're basically saying the OP's idea should not be implemented because the core of his idea is a restrictive amount of numerical "challenge".
    Challenging is not absolutely tied to difficulty settings, if your build (or player abilities) is not able to handle one setting, set it lower. You can make it exactly as challenging as you like.

Or rather, you have to set the challenge lower because your choice of build restricts you from being able to choose the higher settings. On the other hand, if you have the right build, you're guaranteed to win at the highest setting. So, effectively, at no point is anyone actually being challenged - they're simply matching builds to "difficulty" settings. The system fails to achieve it's one explicit goal (just like now).
    Not going to get into a yes no shouting contest.

Strange response. I don't remember anyone typing in all caps.

cool down a little?

...you want me to turn down the thermostat? I'd rather not, it's pretty cold here already.

^ this.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Yes, and that made them new content. What's your point?
    That my proposal didn't do anything of the sort. Difficulty levels already exist in CO, though they're not much used; all this does is tweak the numbers.
    Which is why it's restricted, because failure is dependent on build.
    Failure is no more dependent on build than it is at normal difficulty, it's just got an overall higher bar.
    How is that different?
    There is a big difference between "you cannot attempt this" and "you can attempt this, but you may not be able to succeed".
    I never claimed it was possible. The claim I made was that the lock out doesn't have to be based on build.
    It's not based on build per se. It's just more difficult, and one of the ways you can offset difficulty is by having a more powerful build.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    A player, REGARDLESS OF BUILD, should be able to solo anything that is possible to go in by yourself on ANY DIFFICULTY.

Why? If there are no things like only getting certain drops on the highest difficulty setting, why must any build be able to solo everything on any setting?

I can give you a reason why not.
    With the current build options it is very easy to make a build that has is in no danger of dying in any lair. Any challenge starts with the possibility of failure.
    I have never seen any suggestions for lairs that would adequately bridge the gap between the lowest and highest performance builds, and that would similarly challenge those builds on the same difficulty setting.
    I don't consider voluntarily tying a hand behind my back a acceptable answer for that. So difficulty levels could be a way to keep things challenging for most builds.

And to clarify, I think the idea itself works like this.
    At this time we have 5 difficulty settings, I'll call them 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 (higher number means higher difficulty).
    So to proposal as I see it is to make that 1, 3, 5, 7, 9.
    If you are really of the opinion we also need 2 and 4, it is trivial to keep those, but in my opinion that would not be needed.

And lastly, even if this was changed, who is to say it is absolutely impossible to still solo lairs with any build on any difficulty. That would depend a lot on player skill... Sure it would require more skill than now, but there might be people who are able to pull it off.
    That not anyone can, well... If the requirements becomes "solo, any build, any difficulty, any lair (which you can get in to alone), for any player" they'll probably need to make a game a lot easier than it is now.
    But again, this is not excluding anyone, it is just that some people would set the difficulty a notch lower and still get similar rewards.

Difficulty settings in CO are not content.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Such things have been considered content before. If you want to debate that, go ahead. I'm not going to - I'm just going to keep pointing out that such things have been considered content before.

That is in another game, which I have never played.
    If in wow difficulty settings work the same as in CO, I wouldn't consider it content either.
    And reading things like "Heroic mode changed the drop tables and changed critter mechanics", critter mechanics changes was in no way part of the OP. With sufficient changes like this it might be called content, though I still find it a bit dubious.
    You're not making sense at all here. Please elaborate exactly which of my statements you're talking about.

"Something cannot be restricted and optional."
    You could argue it is not possible for X to be restricted and optional at the same time.
    But in this argument X (difficulty setting) is optional since it would not add anything more than a few higher numbers to mobs. But Y (being able to complete a lair with such and such build and player skill, etc) is restrictive. They are related, but not the same, so nothing is claimed to be both restrictive and optional.

And besides I am not convinced something can't be restrictive and optional. For me some of the grindy sidequests in the latest dragon age game surely were.
    At which point you're basically saying the OP's idea should not be implemented because the core of his idea is a restrictive amount of numerical "challenge".

Nope, you're making the same mistake again. Even though related, the restrictive and optional things are not the same.
    Or rather, you have to set the challenge lower because your choice of build restricts you from being able to choose the higher settings. On the other hand, if you have the right build, you're guaranteed to win at the highest setting. So, effectively, at no point is anyone actually being challenged - they're simply matching builds to "difficulty" settings. The system fails to achieve it's one explicit goal (just like now).

That would only be true if CO was a fully mathematical game for players, which it is not.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    When there's a choice between a the kind of change suggested in the OP, or no change at all, I'd much rather have no change.
    If you don't like them, don't use them.
    Stop limiting yourself to what you think is "realistic". Ask for things that will actually make the game better.
    Having difficulty scaling that can actually challenge top end builds, with enough rewards to make the challenge tempting but not so high as to make it mandatory, would make the game better.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    In other words, you'd force players to play on lower difficulty settings
    The game currently forces you to play on lower difficulty settings, because it doesn't have any higher difficulty settings. My 'Hard' is about where 'Elite' is currently.
    Difficulty increases should not screw over those not using the FoTM cookie cutter, or those who choose to build for things other than survival.
    How does this screw over anyone at all? Honestly, even on a high end build I suspect going beyond Hard would be suboptimal for farming.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    In other words, you'd force players to play on lower difficulty settings, while severely restricting the amount of builds viable for higher settings, glass cannons need no longer apply, and the harder modes will be all about dpstank cookie cutter builds.

I'm saddened you consider that "making the game better". Just because you believe it's "optional" does not make it right.

Why is that so bad? So far you've claimed it's bad like it something that is universally accepted, but to me it isn't. Different difficulty settings for builds that perform differently seems like a pretty good idea, since tightly balancing the performance of all builds is not going to happen (even though it could be a lot better than it's now). And how is it not optional, hard becomes what elite is now (more or less), and elite gets harder (maybe even requiring a team), so.. play on hard when you play solo, what would stop you?

At this point it looks like it's to stroke your ego for being able to solo things on elite, which I don't think it a good reason to say it's a bad idea. If not, please give a reason why what we have now, is better then what is proposed in the OP.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    if the rewards are even a little bit higher, people will be discouraged from using unique builds
    People who care about farming already use optimized builds. People who don't care about farming won't care about the increased drop rates.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    With a purely numerical difficulty upgrade all you do is turn PVE into the new PVP, lets put it that way.

if the rewards are even a little bit higher, people will be discouraged from using unique builds and everyone flocks to the FoTM. players who build themed characters are demanded to sacrifice more and more, in a game DESIGNED for players like them, who build themed characters.

Please explain in what way PVE would turn into the new PVP?
    You're not losing if you play on a lower difficulty setting.

I agree rewards should not be skewed strongly towards playing on higher difficulty setting. Some more globals per kill (partly since it takes longer to kill mobs) and that's pretty much it.
    But "objecting to different rewards" sounds hugely different than "objecting against any numerical difficulty changes". So that is really not a very good explanation for your position.
    The freeform system exists so you can "be the hero you want to be".
    not "be the hero with the same build as everyone else so you can get higher rewards and drop chances".

I will always oppose changes to the game which destroy variety in effective builds.

Tighter balance leads to more viable builds all by itself, build performance is only relative, nothing is absolute there... Before making difficulty changes I'd like to see much tighter balance overall, that is the only things that will reduce the limited FOTM choices, and also a requirement for me to figure out how much difficulty settings need changing.
    whether or not its considered "optional" the fact is you're limiting which builds are viable in content even MORE, without adding anything actually fun or interesting.

Limiting them from playing at the highest difficulty level yes, we are agreed on that. But again that argument assumes the limitation is bad, I disagree and gave a reason why. But again, so far I have not seen any consistent reasoning (or clear explanation what it is you don't like) to support why it's bad.
    And I do think it would be fun to see my tank builds be challenged a bit.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    I care plenty about farming. and I do it with everything from glass cannons who die almost when looked at, to squishy Crowd controllers, to support toons using mini mines.
    If you truly care about something, you care enough to do it well. Doing it well includes using an appropriate build. Therefore, you either don't actually care, or you use optimized builds (I haven't looked at your builds, I suspect they're more optimized than you care to admit).

FWIW, nothing in my proposal buffs crowd control resistance, so CC would be far more useful than it is normally. You should like that...
  • Options
    stergiosmanstergiosman Posts: 717 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    As always, the same people who are using the most optimized builds in times where we only have a 1/2 challenging alert are complaining so that the game's pve remains easy so they can brag about soloing it.

The fact that the two -usual- naysayers referred to PvP shows alot about them, and how "suboptimal" builds they make which they "skillfully" use to solo content.

Elite difficulty is a joke atm. An inferno AT with green gear can solo pretty much everything. That shouldn't happen. This is a MMO, so teaming should be highly required in 50% of its content.

Pantagruel, I completely agree with your suggestions. Perhaps this would be a great way of inserting r6-7 mods in the loot tables of lair bosses on elite.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Why? If there are no things like only getting certain drops on the highest difficulty setting, why must any build be able to solo everything on any setting?

In one word as to why? FAIRNESS.

And if your build makes things easy, it should stay easy instead of being made harder on everyone else.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    So, some testing on just how hard current difficulty is. I used to options: a level 20 test dummy as a target (can be created in battle station), and a unity mission (since difficulty scaling doesn't work except on test dummies in the PH...)
    • Normal Test Dummy: 11,420 raw damage to kill
    • Elite Test Dummy: 15,691 raw damage to kill (+40%)
    • Normal Qularr (2 drone, 2 firebug): 63 dps (after mitigation)
    • Elite Qularr: 95 dps (+50%)
    So yeah, about where I was suggesting for Hard.