test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Announcing Steel Crusade

Comments

• kallethenkallethen Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Glad to see my logic and faith are now justified.

No, I can't say I knew for certain that we'd be getting a big update but I highly suspected so. The lifetime subscription sale alone was a sign that CO's got a future ahead of it.
    100% of the world is crazy, 95% are in denial.

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • meedacthunistmeedacthunist Posts: 2,961 Arc User1
    edited August 2014
    Eh, not so much of claiming to know first, as much as been saying something is coming and being called a fangirl for it with just basic evidence all around everyone that many people here blatantly ignored.

Again, not really.

You came into topic about a level cap increase and started callin people doomsayers because precisely level cap increase was considered unbelievable.

Topic is still on the forum and it's not hard to re-read through everything.

You have pretty warped perception of your own posts and others.
  • crosschancrosschan Posts: 920 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    This is kind of amusing...since it's the second time it's happened.

"For that which Cryptic feared or could not make reality....there is Cryptic North." :cool:

Fire and Ice

MECHANON

???

So....when does this hit PTS? I'd much rather help put in the time to make this the best thing we've seen in ages than have something go live that's "not ready."
    2s9bzbq.jpg
  • gerberatetragerberatetra Posts: 821 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    /rant

The good-

Hurray Mechanon at last!!

New powers!

New stuff to do

New anniversary boss!

the bad-
    "Steel Crusade is a two-part update that starts with players finding people bursting into flames across Millennium City in an adventure that leads inside the bodies of the victims to identify the source of this affliction. Ultimately, the arc culminates in a direct attack on Mechanon's orbital station... followed by an anniversary event that pits players against Mechanon himself in a world boss encounter."

So.. it's a short adventure arc [between 4-5 hours to play through] and an alert. Just like the others... as expected.

The Ugly

So let me get this straight..

the ONLY way to get these new powers unlocked it to level a *&%$#@ archetype to 40?

*facepalm* you gotta be kidding me

And like Cybermind we're going to have to grind the poop out of this alert to get a tiny chance at the good stuff. great

the other stuff

Lockboxes, and stuff you can get only in them with god awful drop rate; not mentioned but if this doesn't happen I'll die of shock.

/rant

My main will find this event amusing at least ^^

Here we are now going to the West Side
    Weapons in hand as we go for a ride
    Some may come and some may stay
    Watching out for a sunny day
    Where there's love and darkness and my sidearm

In game as @forgemccain
  • championshewolfchampionshewolf Posts: 4,375 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Again, not really.

You came into topic about a level cap increase and started callin people doomsayers because precisely level cap increase was considered unbelievable.

Topic is still on the forum and it's not hard to re-read through everything.

You have pretty warped perception of your own posts and others.

Ah meed always making leaps in logic without actually reading. I stated, that the level cap increase was never off the table. I never claimed it was coming, in fact it was discussed as something they were looking at to follow up On Alert.

I'm sorry you lost your wind in your sails, but considering I brought the point to level cap increase was nothing about it being in the update, just fascinated by the fact people want new content, new updates and more power, but always bash level cap increases when they do exactly that under the pretentiousness that a level cap increase automatically makes older content less valuable some how, despite that's exactly what giving more power and gear does automatically.

But then again you will try to, as always, spin words around to make it sound like you are right.
    Champions Online player since September of 2008, forumite since February of 2008.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
  • bwdaresbwdares Posts: 1,517 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Great News! though I am not excited about some of it, but this is not the place for that...

MECHANON!!!!
    #Mechanon!(completed) #New Zones! #Foundry!
  • gandalesgandales Posts: 340 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Thanks Cryptic North for your effort. I look forward to learn more details about steel crusade.:biggrin:
  • bwdaresbwdares Posts: 1,517 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    gradii wrote: »
    This. so much this.

I was thinking the same thing.

remain positive...remain positive...remain positive...remain positive...remain positive...remain positive...remain positive...remain positive...remain positive...remain positive...remain positive...remain positive...remain positive...remain positive...remain positive...remain positive...remain positive...remain positive...remain positive...remain positive...remain positive...remain positive...remain positive...remain positive...remain positive...remain positive...
    #Mechanon!(completed) #New Zones! #Foundry!
  • ayonachanayonachan Posts: 557 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    It breaks my metaphorical heart to finally see CO get a meaningful update...

It breaks my metaphorical heart even more knowing that my corporeal being is non-existent and thus unable to share these lingering feelings...

At any rate I do hope for the best...even against my own perceived thoughts..Anyway:

I try my best to keep it together it's cold
    Like the Windy City streets of December
    I pace back and forth
    Looking for the courage to shine
    But can't tap the source
    Need something to nourish my mind
    I know we all lose quite a bit in life
    Only to gain some
    Life of the dark winding roads we came from
    But I move with the night
    So I'm used to the shade
    And never lose sight
    Bringing truth back to the game

Well, back to my grave..
    edited August 2014
    WTF?

ayonachan.. the red robot is confused

In game as @forgemccain
  • tditstdits Posts: 666 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    crosschan wrote: »
    This is kind of amusing...since it's the third time it's happened.

"For that which Cryptic feared or could not make reality....there is Cryptic North." :cool:

Fire and Ice

MECHANON

Auras

FTFY. (Changes in bold)

WARNING: Not An Actual Internet Reviewer

• crypticbuxomcrypticbuxom Posts: 4,585 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I'm just worried that this two part thing is going to be two LONG parts. If its a two parter like Lemurian Invasion or Cybermind, this is being hyped by Cryptic in the wrong way. However if these two parts are adventure pack length each, then we'll be golden. Like, SUPER golden.
    edited August 2014
    I'm just worried that this two part thing is going to be two LONG parts. If its a two parter like Lemurian Invasion or Cybermind, this is being hyped by Cryptic in the wrong way. However if these two parts are adventure pack length each, then we'll be golden. Like, SUPER golden.

Adventure pack size would be awesome!

But no I don't think so.

In game as @forgemccain
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,315 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I don't see why the freaking out about leveling an AT to 50. I did that with three of them (a Tempest, an Invincible, and a Master), and stand ready to do more if necessary. It's just a matter of playing the game, which I find enjoyable on its own merits.
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
  • themightyzeniththemightyzenith Posts: 4,599 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    You've made your point Gradii, and the same point in many recent threads. Give us a break now please. For the love of Thor.
    zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods
  • dr490nbr347hidr490nbr347hi Posts: 260 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Good Lord, I might just have to re-sub.

...Until I find out that everything meaningful here can be done in a day or two. Ehh, trying to stay positive.

@dr490nbr347hi / Playing since January 25, '11
    Display normal Internet behavior. Come and make fun (yes, make fun) of my PRIMUS page.
  • nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    You know what I think I have already said what I am thinking enough today. On other thoughts good to see a decent update ^__^
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • circleofpsi#4619 circleofpsi Posts: 2,913 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I love the sound of this update, and very bad thing! my AI Toon Luna, has a crush on Mechanon!, because if anyone who reads his lore she believes it!

How all synthetic rights and such, but my Toon Luna, is bacily like the Geth & EDI now, If everyone played mass effect 3 and picked the synthesis ending!.

Also I may be pushing my luck just a bit but TT?, please answer if you can but,

do you think we can get out hideout rooms, the ones that are still locked behind a wall?, Please?

:tongue:
    Psi.
  • chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    just levelled a few, so spare slots.
    a
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

• xydaxydaxydaxyda Posts: 817 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    What if you like it? What if you are totally disinterested in any of the powers associated with it?

Only time will tell.
  • decorumfriendsdecorumfriends Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Good job, folks! Nice to see some work being put into the game (or, rather, the results of work already done). Please ignore the whiners in this thread. There's always going to be people running round yelling "this diamond ring is CLOUDY!".
    'Dec out

QDSxNpT.png
  • summerfields#1113 summerfields Posts: 119 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Hell to the yes! :biggrin:
    [ @Skaargoroth in-game / @summerfields on the Forums ]
    Current character roaster: The Iconica, Lady Mythica, Black Jackal, Omni-Woman, Fantomask
    Currently waiting for: Moar comics! And maybe City of Titans, too. Hopefully!
  • thebuckeyethebuckeye Posts: 814 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    it is scheduled for the 4th of September barring any major delays...so here's the pink Mega Destroid Terminator of a question...when will it be hitting the PTS?

Also, please please listen to most of the feedback when we report the bugs this time, please...:wink:
  • meedacthunistmeedacthunist Posts: 2,961 Arc User1
    edited August 2014
    But then again you will try to, as always, spin words around to make it sound like you are right.
    I don't have to try to spin anything, because like I said, the topic is still available.

The topic started with mention about STO Delta Rising. Then there were few post expressing disbelief in level cap raise for CO.

Then you came inside and without even reading posts and called doomsaying.

Except people in the thread:

a) - weren't talking about anything but level cap increase

b) - weren't experssing opinion about CO soon being closed
  • sekhmet46sekhmet46 Posts: 175 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Hmmmm... September 4 is a Thursday. Y'know, if they were to run a double XP weekend right after the update's release, a LOT of people would play. *wink, wink*
  • sammiefightersammiefighter Posts: 92 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    deadman20 wrote: »
    I'm not quite sure how to express myself fully here, but....

I see your link, and raise you a: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_J6-3l3hCm0
    ("language" warning if your under 10 mentally)
  • eastgatewidoweastgatewidow Posts: 129 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Thank you for this minor update to Champions-Online. :smile:

Dropping my knitting to buff you whilst hitting - Proudly protecting Millennium City's little ones since 2009.

@Mothers_Love
  • mrhinkypunkmrhinkypunk Posts: 1,569 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Too be honest I prefer the fact that you have to earn the powers instead of just having them appear to be able to spend the G to respec my toon and try them out.

The fact we'll earn them from the AT that they are supposed to be exclusive to and that people wont get bored of the powers within about an hour like other powers because of the fact they have to level up and earn it to get it. Yeah... I think it's a good thing that gives an illusion of there being more content / more playable time in the game and will also populate lower level stuff.
  • riveroceanriverocean Posts: 1,690 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Too be honest I prefer the fact that you have to earn the powers instead of just having them appear to be able to spend the G to respec my toon and try them out.

The fact we'll earn them from the AT that they are supposed to be exclusive to and that people wont get bored of the powers within about an hour like other powers because of the fact they have to level up and earn it to get it. Yeah... I think it's a good thing that gives an illusion of there being more content / more playable time in the game and will also populate lower level stuff.

I agree. I like the idea of earning things and unlocking new powers in the game. It makes the process of leveling just a little more rewarding. CO is hardly the first game to use this concept - and many games utilize some form of unlocking "epic" content based on level.
    Questions About AT Play? Visit Silverwolfx11's Updated AT Guides!
    edited August 2014
    1, Leveling an AT to 50 would be something interesting considering the cap is 40.
    Typo. I plead the fact that it was after 10 pm, and I'd been looking after two autistic children since around 7 am.

And I leveled all three of those ATs as a Silver. And enjoyed the trip (well, except some parts of MI that aren't really friendly to a Master...). Still not seeing the reason for the freakout.
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

• beldinbeldin Posts: 1,708 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Wait .. did i get this right ? Finally really new "real content" and not just another alert or vehicle ? :eek:

Would be finally a reason to login for longer then 10 minutes after 2 years of nothing :cool:
    R607qMf.jpg
  • thelastsonofzodthelastsonofzod Posts: 658 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    riverocean wrote: »
    I agree. I like the idea of earning things and unlocking new powers in the game. It makes the process of leveling just a little more rewarding. CO is hardly the first game to use this concept - and many games utilize some form of unlocking "epic" content based on level.

Anything that extends gametime for me is more than welcome. I've got 13 level 40s, and honestly I'm running out of things to do with alts. Getting some new ideas going is a breath of fresh air. Hopefully Champions will continue with this idea on into the future.

C'mon Dryad AT!

By the way: My Robot in training (to be) Faux-Bat

2coj76h.jpg
  • chalupaoffurychalupaoffury Posts: 2,553 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I doubt this is just going to be another random event cycle, 4-5 hours is WAY longer than any of the previous arcs we did. So, yay! Funny that a few people are still on "I don't care if it's content, it's not the content I want". Dear lord, what the heck will it take to make some people happy?

A few thoughts, from the perspective of someone who's currently mid-running every AT in the game to 40:

1: Give that AT a self heal. Seriously, let's stop pretending that they're going to be on a team that has a healer. Freeforms don't tend to rock just one concept in a trinity format, hell I even play a healer and I'm known to be a damn good one. But, that's just one toon. As for archetypes? You don't see a hell of a lot of healer ATs running around. At this point a self-heal of some sort should just flat out be a given on new ATs. I have hope, a lot of the newer ones have all come with some manner of self-healing option. Please, let this continue as a trend.

2: I love that you level an AT to 40 to get new powers. First off, because it pretty much requires you to be on and playing for an extended stretch to unlock them, which increases replay a bit. Secondly: Because a lot of people who say ATs have it easy, or are completely balanced, just flat out never play em. I play them a LOT right now, it changes your perceptions of what it is to be silver when you seriously dig into what they have to work with.

3: Seriously, it's not that bad. There have been a few "Wtf, I have to level a character to 40 to get the new powers?" posts, and it's *really* not that hard. I'm about to have my 5th AT 40 just in the project alone. It's not that painful, and you don't have to keep that AT as an AT after you do cap. Know what having to do this will probably mean? You'll get better at the game in general. Without the 30 active defenses/4 self heals/whatever else most freeforms rock to keep themselves standing, you really have to focus on the nuts and bolts of how CO combat works. In the end, it's actually really good for people as players to have to run through something like this. Coming off of my ATs and going back to my freeforms? I feel like a god, and I play about 10x as efficiently.

4: Hey PWE/TT. Psssssssst. Make a community contest to design the AT's default costume! We did it with sidekick devices, we did it with rampages, one of the AT defaults is already based on a player's character (roxstar) so why not just make it official? You could do votes, like you did with the new costume sets. Super cereal here guys, it's a big opportunity to get the community even more invested in this.

Also, side question: If the anniversary event is changing, does that mean no more summon backup! devices? I really wanted a sapphire, but all I got was a defender that I promptly gave away because I can't stand the man. I could get behind this, but y'all better give out an action figure that's a mechanon possessed toaster that hops around behind you randomly talking about exterminating the organics. Just sayin.
    In game, I am @EvilTaco. Happily killing purple gang members since May 2008.
    dbnzfo.png
    RIP Caine
  • itsbrou#5396 itsbrou Posts: 1,777 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Anything that extends gametime for me is more than welcome. I've got 13 level 40s, and honestly I'm running out of things to do with alts. Getting some new ideas going is a breath of fresh air. Hopefully Champions will continue with this idea on into the future.

C'mon Dryad AT!

By the way: My Robot in training (to be) Faux-Bat

2coj76h.jpg

Dryad AT? Sounds neat. I'd love to see some Land of Legends/Fey Dimension stuff with Vilsimbra or another fey enemy.
    Brou in Cryptic games.
  • bellatorrexbellatorrex Posts: 169 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I doubt this is just going to be another random event cycle, 4-5 hours is WAY longer than any of the previous arcs we did. So, yay! Funny that a few people are still on "I don't care if it's content, it's not the content I want". Dear lord, what the heck will it take to make some people happy?

A few thoughts, from the perspective of someone who's currently mid-running every AT in the game to 40:

1: Give that AT a self heal. Seriously, let's stop pretending that they're going to be on a team that has a healer. Freeforms don't tend to rock just one concept in a trinity format, hell I even play a healer and I'm known to be a damn good one. But, that's just one toon. As for archetypes? You don't see a hell of a lot of healer ATs running around. At this point a self-heal of some sort should just flat out be a given on new ATs. I have hope, a lot of the newer ones have all come with some manner of self-healing option. Please, let this continue as a trend.

2: I love that you level an AT to 40 to get new powers. First off, because it pretty much requires you to be on and playing for an extended stretch to unlock them, which increases replay a bit. Secondly: Because a lot of people who say ATs have it easy, or are completely balanced, just flat out never play em. I play them a LOT right now, it changes your perceptions of what it is to be silver when you seriously dig into what they have to work with.

3: Seriously, it's not that bad. There have been a few "Wtf, I have to level a character to 40 to get the new powers?" posts, and it's *really* not that hard. I'm about to have my 5th AT 40 just in the project alone. It's not that painful, and you don't have to keep that AT as an AT after you do cap. Know what having to do this will probably mean? You'll get better at the game in general. Without the 30 active defenses/4 self heals/whatever else most freeforms rock to keep themselves standing, you really have to focus on the nuts and bolts of how CO combat works. In the end, it's actually really good for people as players to have to run through something like this. Coming off of my ATs and going back to my freeforms? I feel like a god, and I play about 10x as efficiently.

4: Hey PWE/TT. Psssssssst. Make a community contest to design the AT's default costume! We did it with sidekick devices, we did it with rampages, one of the AT defaults is already based on a player's character (roxstar) so why not just make it official? You could do votes, like you did with the new costume sets. Super cereal here guys, it's a big opportunity to get the community even more invested in this.

Also, side question: If the anniversary event is changing, does that mean no more summon backup! devices? I really wanted a sapphire, but all I got was a defender that I promptly gave away because I can't stand the man. I could get behind this, but y'all better give out an action figure that's a mechanon possessed toaster that hops around behind you randomly talking about exterminating the organics. Just sayin.

I get behind all of this, all of it!... Now you make me want to make a Re-Awakened Automaton outfit >,<.
    So you love being forced into playing a character type you do not like or want?

Make it require playtime. a lot even. but forcing this on people is just wrong.

it worked in CoH because CoH wasn't based on a freeform system like we have in CO.

Just look at it as a perk, you don't have to achieve it if you not want it but if you do....
  • ealford1985ealford1985 Posts: 3,582 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    you have to achieve it if you ever want to use the new powers. ever occured to you I dont want an AT with the powers, I want to come up with my own FRIGGIN concept for them?

I couldn't care one bit if it doesn't take long to level to 40, because:

1, Its not always true. it takes me a week or more to get most characters to 40, and by the time they hit level 20-28 its already unbearable for me. I can't keep doing this.

2, The entire idea is wrongheaded. I don't care how easy it is to achieve I care if its the right way to do things which its not. CoH was CoH. and it didn't have a core freeform system either.

Sounds like you have a very tearful week of game playing ahead of you.
  • epeleskerepelesker Posts: 307 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    you have to achieve it if you ever want to use the new powers. ever occured to you I dont want an AT with the powers, I want to come up with my own FRIGGIN concept for them?
    You're a roleplayer, right?

Come up with your own concept for the AT as you play, then. Every AT until this point has certain suggestions as for origins of powers and such. And even if the Reawakened Automaton didn't have that "official" flexibility, people who want to bend the rules will do it anyway.

I can agree to a point that is isn't exactly easy to have the mindset to grind levels for alts in this game with what we've had for content until this point, but to have a sense of trying out the new powers to earn them for general use is something I can get behind.

This is a big deal over nothing.
    ----
    Heroic Roleplayer @epelesker | PRIMUS Database Moderator | Brigade Advocate
    edited August 2014
    I need to see what the RA does, but I'm leaning toward a sort of "NOMAD/Tan Ru" situation - a probe from a vanished alien civilization that crash-landed on Earth (or maybe the Moon) aeons ago, and has recently combined with some Terran technology and awakened again with scrambled directives.

So there you go - it's all about the tale you've created for yourself.

• trailturtletrailturtle Posts: 5,496 Perfect World Employee
    edited August 2014
    cryneting wrote: »
    Also I may be pushing my luck just a bit but TT?, please answer if you can but,

do you think we can get out hideout rooms, the ones that are still locked behind a wall?, Please?

No plans for that, unfortunately.

We'll clarify exactly what comes out when in upcoming previews, but the story of Steel Crusade itself will be all in one piece. The second piece will be the MechAnniversary.

thebuckeye wrote: »
    it is scheduled for the 4th of September barring any major delays...so here's the pink Mega Destroid Terminator of a question...when will it be hitting the PTS?

Also, please please listen to most of the feedback when we report the bugs this time, please...:wink:

We'll let you know when it's up on PTS. And trust me, everyone knows this is a big deal, everyone wants it to have plenty of time for tweaks and iterations. :P
  • jerax1011jerax1011 Posts: 966 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Ok Gradii, so you dislike the idea of leveling this AT in order to unlock it's powers. So let's look at it from another perspective...

Obtaining this AT is actually way easier to get versus something like a Trey Kings costume drop. So, you have to level up a character to reach the missions to unlock VB in the first place, and then farm and farm and farm some more until the RNG gods have deemed you worth to get the drop. With the AT, it's a similar concept. Except you are guaranteed to get the unlocked powers after reaching level 40... that's a FAR better deal for the effort. Now assuming that the majority of players that want these powers unlocked are Gold or LTS, upon reaching level 40 you automatically unlock another character slot. This would mean that if you choose to delete the AT character that you used, you'll have for sure one new slot PLUS the one that you made available after deleting the AT character. Yay for more character slots!! Now speaking as someone who is currently a silver, and also not a player with many leveled alts... I see this like I would any wanted costume set... if I want the items (in this case powers) then I'll put in the additional effort to obtain them. It's a rather simple concept.

So in short.... either suck it up and do the work to get the AT or make your choice in not going for it. TT and CN are going to watch this event closely to see if this implementation is something that works or not.

Anyways, it's awesome news to see something like this being added into the game... I am certainly looking forward to enjoying it when I can get back to playing ^.^
    EU5doX8.jpg
    @Aleatha1011 in CO | Keeper of the Cheesecake since Nov. 2011| Bunni BOT is on PRIMUS! | Come check out my deviantart page!
  • necratech009necratech009 Posts: 68 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Sorry, didnt read my email first. Ignore my earlier comments.