test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Archetype's diminishing returns specifics?

2»

Comments

• Options
    chalupaoffurychalupaoffury Posts: 2,553 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Well yeah, the blade and marksman can do that. Dodge.

I'm curious if you can turn a soldier tanky.

Also, selphea, lol I'm just giggling trying to imagine a costume or backstory for that guy. What, I'm a telepathic ice projecting super hero with a jet. Problem?
    In game, I am @EvilTaco. Happily killing purple gang members since May 2008.
    dbnzfo.png
    RIP Caine
  • Options
    williamkonywilliamkony Posts: 582 Arc User
    edited August 2014

Also, selphea, lol I'm just giggling trying to imagine a costume or backstory for that guy. What, I'm a telepathic ice projecting super hero with a jet. Problem?

It's all about how you present it! I colored Venomous Breath to orange and set up my costume's Back-slot piece to make the power look like a shoulder-mounted flamethrower. :D With imagination, ANYTHING is possible!
    Dasher@Tool-box, donning his armor to prance into battle and blitz the enemy! No joke!
    Cupid@Tool-box, stunningly radiant stag ready to play matchmaker between villain and arrow!
    Vixon@Tool-box, frighteningly eager to summon despair for his adversaries!
    Jebin Zedalu@Tool-box, elementalist weaponmaster. ...One of these things is not like the others!
  • Options
    stergasterga Posts: 2,353 Arc User
    edited August 2014

Step 1: Take sniper rifle.
    Step 2: Rampage with Grav or Frosty.
    Step 3: Fly at 120ft.
    Step 4: Pew Pew! Super tank!

I do have a soldier and I do play just a suicidally as with the other two... And actually ripped out her con mods for more damage. Mostly use her for Grav or F&I when I'm feeling lazy. Force of Will + dex, dex, and some more dex. Which, incidentally, boosts crit chance with Sixth Sense. And Armadillo secondaries because why not? I think I used them for leveling and just kept them. Using something like breaching round helps. Unless you want to be nice to those damn melee people. But screw them if they aren't tanking. Position yourself so that you can line enemies up for Gat gun.

Not all about being tanky, but more along tanking with the tools you have.
    YouTube - Steam - Twitter
    [at]riviania Member since Aug 2009
  • Options
    meedacthunistmeedacthunist Posts: 2,961 Arc User1
    edited August 2014
    Soldier can boost its defense with secondary SS. Which plays with Sixth Sense as well. And there's Aggressive Stance as well. So, yes, it can be made more durable than other ranged ATs, with overstating Dex.
    It's not always needed to invest in Con or +HP.
    How many other ranged ATs have primary Ego SS? IIRC Squall only.
  • Options
    chalupaoffurychalupaoffury Posts: 2,553 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    giphy.gif

Also, great point Cthunist. haha god, more fuel for my opinion that Squall is the worst archetype available. C'MON IMPULSE. PROVE ME WRONG.
    In game, I am @EvilTaco. Happily killing purple gang members since May 2008.
    dbnzfo.png
    RIP Caine
  • Options
    selpheaselphea Posts: 1,229 Arc User
    edited August 2014

Call it MewThree and Team Rocket supplies the jet :cool:
  • Options
    tigerofcachticetigerofcachtice Posts: 551 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I've been following this thread and was wondering about my Behemoth.

With what you said about DR, should I just slot CON in all her Heroic Gear?

Currently I have a mix of CON and Str in her Heroic, then Impact Prisms and Gambler Gems. For her Secondaries, I used the 3 Armadillo Secondaries for the 3-piece bonus of 25% Damage Resistance.

I heard, for damage, I only need around 40 Str for melee, any above that is nice-to-have.

Just want to hear opinions please. Reason I haven't tried it already - CON mods are expensive.
    Banner%20Try%20Again.jpg
    More action at Champions Online Comics @ http://co-comics.webs.com
  • Options
    flowcytoflowcyto Posts: 12,751 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Strength still fuels Enrage's additive dmg and energy gains, as well as helps w/ knock resist and melee dmg a bit more. I'd still invest in it at least moderately for the Behemoth- but it'd be more for better dps vs. going all-out Con.

Since it is an AT and not an FF, it won't be feeling the sting as much from stacking passive dmg bonuses, which you'll get more of from Str than Con for the build. It also helps makeup for having Con PSS over Str PSS and Protector over Vindicator in terms of dps (which most FFs would build towards for a Might tank).

Could also always have 2 sets of gear- a grinding/solo gear for easy content that is more into dps stats, and another that's heavy on the Con and health/defense for heavier stuff like rampages or lairs.
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
    - Be safe and have fun, champs - for science!
  • Options
    selpheaselphea Posts: 1,229 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I've been following this thread and was wondering about my Behemoth.

With what you said about DR, should I just slot CON in all her Heroic Gear?

Currently I have a mix of CON and Str in her Heroic, then Impact Prisms and Gambler Gems. For her Secondaries, I used the 3 Armadillo Secondaries for the 3-piece bonus of 25% Damage Resistance.

I heard, for damage, I only need around 40 Str for melee, any above that is nice-to-have.

Just want to hear opinions please. Reason I haven't tried it already - CON mods are expensive.

Given the meta - (relatively) cheap Str mods, expensive Con mods, I'd say take as much Str as you want once you're happy with your survivability with Con and Defiance. You could go for 4, even 5 Str mods if you wanted. You're an AT with a defensive passive. In other words, your additive bonus has plenty of room to grow.
  • Options
    tigerofcachticetigerofcachtice Posts: 551 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Thx for your replies. For Alerts and Lairs, the Behemoth was fine. Even Gravitar she was okay, but playing so defensively meant she didn't contribute much as Gravitar's attacks were so random even if you were tanking.

It's Frosticus she, so far, has been unable to deal with, I think.
    Banner%20Try%20Again.jpg
    More action at Champions Online Comics @ http://co-comics.webs.com
  • Options
    flowcytoflowcyto Posts: 12,751 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I think the only AT that can even come close to handling Frosty w/o dedicated Support atm is the Master. Maybe the Savage if it had Ebon Void over Parry. I wouldn't use him to gauge the effectiveness of any tanky AT atm- its just too high a bar for ATs.
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
    - Be safe and have fun, champs - for science!