Options

Give Knock distance a cap.

2»

Comments

• Options
    spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    xcaligax wrote: »
    It's just ridiculous how much of this an be obtained. Cap it to around 300 feet, which is the size of half a duel sphere from the middle. Anything higher than that is just silly. I mean really, who needs more than 300 feet knock distance in anything.

No. Stacking stupid amounts of knock is one of the most fun things you can do in this game. Why would you, Caliga, who depends on knocks to win duels, actually want them to nerf knocks? Stop trying to remove fun from the game.
  • Options
    prankensteinprankenstein Posts: 194 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    spinnytop wrote: »
    No. Stacking stupid amounts of knock is one of the most fun things you can do in this game. Why would you, Caliga, who depends on knocks to win duels, actually want them to nerf knocks? Stop trying to remove fun from the game.

I agree.

This is by far the worst cry for a nerf I've ever seen on any game.

Take for example, a conceptual Knock-Only hero who has around 1,000 STR. Yes. It's doable. Also assume that this hero is an AT, and therefore, has next to no Diminishing Returns. You have a hero who can theoretically now knock villains or other dueling heroes out of target range, several hundred feet. Of course, you're crying for a nerf because you got your feels hurt, but bear with me.

This AT has around 6k health, absolutely no survivability, no crowd control ability, no healing ability, no AoE ability, no bossfighting ability, and severe energy issues. He's also crippled by nerfed knock mechanics, meaning that he really only knocks at 100% every 10 seconds or so, as well as broken PvE mob resistances, and being completely useless in any sort of Team Dueling scenario. It's also cost this hero several thousand Gs and many hours of playtime, or actual money to grind, and even with STR's damage buff, he does next to no useful damage.

Basically, shut up. This is literally the most idiotic thing I've seen all day.
    ~~~The Tidal Tilde Wave of Seperation~~~
    I'd rather get STO's level of lockbox suck if worthwhile updates come with it. -Buxom
  • Options
    jennymachxjennymachx Posts: 3,000 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    foosnark wrote: »
    Lunge cooldown yes, but the charge time is still wasted, the gathering of enemies for an AOE attack is also wasted, and 90% of the frustration is still there.

If a bunch of enemies are surrounding a tank, to knock enemies away from him is poor tactics. There is no way around that. It's just a stupid thing to do. It reduces team effectiveness.

Similarly, if a bunch of enemies are all being AOEd, to knock them out of that zone is poor tactics. Again, it is a stupid thing to do and it reduces team effectiveness.

A player who does that is a bad player. You can't transfer responsibility for it to the players who now have to scramble to keep up.

Just so you know, just because an enemy gets knocked away from the tank does not mean that aggro on the tank is automatically lost. It's not so much an issue for a ranged user with a ranged taunt attack. For a melee tank, once again there's the emphasis on closing the gap. Scrambling to keep up would suggest that you had to actually run toward the knocked enemy without using a lunge.

I do agree that it's poor form to knock an enemy out of an AoE zone when it's being active. Then again, you need to realize that even a tap of a knockback attack will send the enemy back some distance if the debuff stacks aren't applied yet. If the enemy happens to get pushed out of the zone in this case then I wouldn't hold it against the player who's trying to moderate their KB. This is especially true for someone playing an Impulse AT with its whole framework being built around KB. In fact, KB is about the only real edge that the AT has.

Understand that my stance here is to avoid stigma against KB, because from my personal experience now and then people tend to overreact about it and not realize that as melee players, they have the non-TP best mobility advantage that are lunges. They're low cost and has amazingly fast recharge time. If lunges didn't exist then there definitely would be a strong case against KB from melee players.

In an attempt to find some middle-ground, KB players should do their best to moderate their KBs, but at the same time it should be generally accepted that KB is an existing legitimate mechanic like every other mechanic in the game and players have the right to use it. Telling people to "STOP WITH THE KB!" outright isn't the way to go about things.
  • Options
    itsbrou#5396 itsbrou Posts: 1,778 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Here's how I deal with KB problems:

I minimize my chat window.
    Brou in Cryptic games.
  • Options
    xcaligaxxcaligax Posts: 1,096 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    wwwwwwwwwwwwwooooooooooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwww

This is cute. I didnt check this thread ever since I posted in it in the beginning, who knew it would catch some much fire.

I won't bother reading through all the pages, because I can already tell that anything after the 2nd page fell far from the topic.

I just think anything more than 300 yards is just silly. Even 300 yards is already extremely far. You can still knock out of duel bubbles with 250 yards. It just doesnt make sense to have knock back this far into it unless it's for some kind of other game mechanic. Introduce stacking knock resist damage based on how far your knock distance is? Sure, I can get behind that. But for the sake of having knock so far just for concept reasons, I personally think its silly.

As for some of you that are flaming me: Screw you, I'm friggin Caliga. You think I care about anything you want that has nothing to do with me? I'm amazing, I'm an awesome player, and I'm arrogant, egotistical, and have a bad attitude to boot. But it doesn't matter, because I'm awesome. Now I sit here and await some other poster to quote this and say something like "blah blah your a child" or some other smart alecky gimmick to make them seem oh so clever! o0o0o0o0o0oh! I'm so0o0o impressed. Please.
  • Options
    flowcytoflowcyto Posts: 12,742 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    xcaligax wrote: »
    Now I sit here and await some other poster to quote this and say something like "blah blah your a child" or some other smart alecky gimmick to make them seem oh so clever! o0o0o0o0o0oh! I'm so0o0o impressed. Please.

blah blah, you're a child

I only did it to keep you from waiting any longer. All that sitting around will make you flabby, ya know :|
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
    - Be safe and have fun, champs - for science!
  • Options
    foosnarkfoosnark Posts: 168 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    LUNGES ARE ALMOST COMPLETELY IRRELEVANT to how I feel about knock.

Lunges don't magically make wasting time charging an attack, or getting that "____ is out of range" message somehow fun, instead of frustrating.

Lunges are great for their intended purpose, but they do not solve this problem. At best, they help recover a bit of what was lost. Lunges are a way to chase down enemies who were scattered or thrown out of range, but that doesn't change the fact that they shouldn't have been thrown out of range in the first place. By blowing them out of melee range you're just helping them get hit less.

Anyway, getting pretty tired of this. Obviously nobody is going to change anyone's mind here.
  • Options
    avianosavianos Posts: 6,028 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    jennymachx wrote: »
    How would you like it if someone responds by saying "Stop playing crappy melee.", especially when range can perform just as sufficiently or even better in various areas?

Not pleasant? You got it. That's what happens when someone tries to impose their playstyle preferences upon others.

I ask for EMPATHY-SYMPATHY whatever

Some players DO NOT manage their Knocks at all and ruining the Melee Formation

I solo all the time but I do know how to manage my Knocks to not being annoying for other players in alerts! :|

a Soft tap of the knock power can easily apply Knock Resistance

and not only melee, character with low range attacks (50 feet range like FIRE) also suffer from the those Knock Abuse, what are you gonna say to those players? Stop being Low-Range Ranger? :confused:

Just because I chose to play with Melee character does not mean I have to Put up with other people's Ignorance

BOY How Do I do Enjoy seeing my Charged Shadow Strike, Dragon's Wrath, Reaper's Embrace, Open Palm Strike, Burning Chi Fist, Ego Blade Annihilation, Brimstone, Skewer, Unleashed Rage go wasted the very last Second because someone Knocked my Target(s) to Stratosphere WHILE I WAS TANKING IT! :rolleyes:
    POWERFRAME REVAMPS, NEW POWERS and BUG FIXES > Recycled Content and Events and even costumes at this point Introvert guy who use CO to make his characters playable and get experimental with Viable FF Theme builds! Running out of Unique FF builds due to the lack of updates and synergiesPlaying since 1 February 2011 98+ Characters (7 ATs, 91 FFs) ALTitis for Life!
  • Options
    jennymachxjennymachx Posts: 3,000 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    foosnark wrote: »
    LUNGES ARE ALMOST COMPLETELY IRRELEVANT to how I feel about knock.

Lunges don't magically make wasting time charging an attack, or getting that "____ is out of range" message somehow fun, instead of frustrating.

Lunges are great for their intended purpose, but they do not solve this problem. At best, they help recover a bit of what was lost. Lunges are a way to chase down enemies who were scattered or thrown out of range, but that doesn't change the fact that they shouldn't have been thrown out of range in the first place. By blowing them out of melee range you're just helping them get hit less.

Anyway, getting pretty tired of this. Obviously nobody is going to change anyone's mind here.

It's up to you if you feel that lunges are irrelevant to how you feel about knock. Lunges aren't irrelevant mechanics-wise and the fact remains that they're effective at closing the gap when an enemy is knocked out of range while being very low energy cost and very low on recharge.

Like I said, when you choose to play melee, then you automatically accept the crutch of having to be in melee range all of the time. Range is so much more practical and effective in this game mechanics-wise it's not even funny, but if you want to play melee due to preference / concept, so be it. However, by imposing what you want on a KB player to not throw your target out of range, by saying that it's a problem, that means you're saying that your preference to play melee is more valid than their preference to use KB, which both are legitimate ingame mechanics.

Knockback isn't going to go away and people are going to continue to use them for their intended purpose. It's up to you on whether or not you want to deal with it in a more positive manner.