Install Arc
Options

Aura Sets Redeemable Per Character

Comments

• Options
    hyperstrikecohhyperstrikecoh Posts: 472 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    r9xchaos wrote: »
    No, the auras are: like vehicles... you can onyl use 1 piece of aura on 1 toon at the same time...if youw ant the aura on a different char you need to put it in hideout bank....

learn2read

Learn2Courtesy first child.

Auras are, effectively, costume items.
    If I have to re-buy an aura set so I can have the same, EXACT aura on two separate characters simultaneously, that's effectively per-character. With a metric ***-ton of waste.

As I said, no way in hell am I buying into that.

And, yet again, Cryptic goes for the absolute most money-grab-iest, lowest value implementation possible.

I think I'll just let my monthly zen allowance build for a while. It's essentially "free money". But I refuse to waste money on a setup this stupid and greedy.
  • Options
    skcarkskcark Posts: 715 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Learn2Courtesy first child.

Auras are, effectively, costume items.
    If I have to re-buy an aura set so I can have the same, EXACT aura on two separate characters simultaneously, that's effectively per-character. With a metric ***-ton of waste.

As I said, no way in hell am I buying into that.

And, yet again, Cryptic goes for the absolute most money-grab-iest, lowest value implementation possible.

I think I'll just let my monthly zen allowance build for a while. It's essentially "free money". But I refuse to waste money on a setup this stupid and greedy.

Did someone say lockboxes?
  • Options
    r9xchaosr9xchaos Posts: 533
    edited January 2014
    Learn2Courtesy.

learn2fixyoursignature
  • Options
    highrealityhighreality Posts: 402 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Is complaining about other people's signature the new cool ?
    And to get back on track.. well everything's been said already, all I can do is bump the thread again, maybe someone will see it and think "Wow that's a cool idea ! Why didn't we think about making auras per-character already ? Thanks community !"

(°∇° ) #megalodon2015
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    learn2fixyoursignature

Why? My signature is within the parameters set by Cryptic/PWE.

So what's got you so sandy about it?

Or is it just general sandiness causing you to remove all doubt?
  • Options
    jerax1011jerax1011 Posts: 966 Arc User
    edited January 2014

r9x is referring to this thread here which was the result of another tiff between someone else she pointed out had a larger signature. So it's a thing now I suppose.

And to bring it back to the topic at hand, I do think that if you are going to charge costume set prices for the auras, then it should be treated like costumes and unlock the purchased ones to all characters. I always pictured auras in the tailor with a tab anyways, would make for some fun themeing and for those who want to purchase a bunch of different auras then they can collect the sets.
    EU5doX8.jpg
    @Aleatha1011 in CO | Keeper of the Cheesecake since Nov. 2011| Bunni BOT is on PRIMUS! | Come check out my deviantart page!
  • Options
    crypticbuxomcrypticbuxom Posts: 4,594 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Yes. Pricing them like costumes they should fit to their unlock rules.

I thought I could wait to purchase auras and slots when they go on sale, but I t̶h̶i̶n̶k̶ know its not worth it even then.

R9xChaos, If you are going to keep doing this and antagonize people and derail this thread again, I'm going to have to ask you to stop posting here.
  • Options
    lilsteffielilsteffie Posts: 598 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    So wait auras weren't account wide? *Stuffs cash back in pocket*

For once I'm glad I didn't rush to buy something from the Zen store...
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Handle:@XG3NX

Champions Online.. where we sell lockboxes by the dozen.
  • Options
    towershield#4714 towershield Posts: 1,208 Arc User
    edited January 2014

Not to be "that guy" but you may want to run it by the signature fixing thread for an amnesty look-over.

On-topic...ish: does anyone know if those auras that are supposed to be availabe via drops or lairs are actually in the game yet? I'm on the fence about whether or not auras that will/would drop like that should be account wide or character only.
    ___________________________________________________________________________________________
  • Options
    spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    On-topic...ish: does anyone know if those auras that are supposed to be availabe via drops or lairs are actually in the game yet? I'm on the fence about whether or not auras that will/would drop like that should be account wide or character only.

They're not. Hoping it doesn't turn out to be one of those "We said we MIGHT do it... and we're not doing it" things. Lairs need auras!
  • Options
    r9xchaosr9xchaos Posts: 533
    edited January 2014
    Seriously how can you all be suprised about auras not being account-unlocks ?

read descriptions and test by loggin other toons...
  • Options
    wrathsoul1wrathsoul1 Posts: 679 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Should I assume you realized that this game is now a cashgrab? No wonder why people believe it's neglected...
  • Options
    flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited January 2014

I think you're still missing the point.
    Just pointing it out.
    moustache.gif
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    heroshima1heroshima1 Posts: 107 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    The worst things is we need to pay for the auras...for each char when i want to use the same aura on 2 chars im fcked...

This...Simply making aura storage Account wide is not good enough. If you buy an aura you can only use it on one character at a time. So each time you wanted to play another character you want with the same aura, you would have to log into the char with the aura, place it in storage, log out/in remove from storage and equip. Want to go back to the original character? repeat steps above.

Having to train yourself to remember to place your auras in storage prior to logging out is ridiculous.

They should have implemented this like CoH did, except keeping with the ability to use up to 6 auras at a time (3 active, 3 cbt), which I like, and use the tailor to assign which ones to use.

As far as Legacy Auras, that can still be per character using the same method.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    heroshima1 wrote: »
    This...Simply making aura storage Account wide is not good enough. If you buy an aura you can only use it on one character at a time. So each time you wanted to play another character you want with the same aura, you would have to log into the char with the aura, place it in storage, log out/in remove from storage and equip. Want to go back to the original character? repeat steps above.

Having to train yourself to remember to place your auras in storage prior to logging out is ridiculous.

They should have implemented this like CoH did, except keeping with the ability to use up to 6 auras at a time (3 active, 3 cbt), which I like, and use the tailor to assign which ones to use.

As far as Legacy Auras, that can still be per character using the same method.

other problem is... having to recolour the aura each time too... just so tedious
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    wrathsoul1 wrote: »
    Should I assume you realized that this game is now a cashgrab? No wonder why people believe it's neglected...

Yes. The game that I am playing entirely for free including all its features is a cash grab. It's simply unfortunate that whoever was in charge of grabbing the cash was in that accident with that lawnmower... and then that woodchipper... and then that chainsaw weilding arm-hating maniac. :biggrin:
    '

The solution to this issue seems to not be an account wide storage bag. In fact, the solution seems to be that the bags should stay per-character, but that when you buy an aura set that it should be deposited into each characters bag, so that each of your characters has a copy of it.

OR

Once you have purchased an aura set from the store, you can from that point on obtain additional copies of that aura set for free.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Unfortunately unique auras obtained from lairs and certain bosses/mobs are not implemented yet. Some of us were hoping that they would be with the aura update. However, those kinds of auras should be the kind that you have to farm for each character in the same fashion that Dark Aura is acquired. They are essentially free so making them BoE is acceptable.
    spinnytop wrote: »
    The solution to this issue seems to not be an account wide storage bag. In fact, the solution seems to be that the bags should stay per-character, but that when you buy an aura set that it should be deposited into each characters bag, so that each of your characters has a copy of it.

OR

Once you have purchased an aura set from the store, you can from that point on obtain additional copies of that aura set for free.

Pretty much the only acceptable solutions. The second one being very doable since the tech does exist for claiming an acquired store item multiple times.
  • Options
    edited January 2014

Well, we'll tote that up as "TOTALLY missed the point". Well, either that or you're dealing in plastic toys with poofy neon hair...

The point isn't "Didn't read that it wasn't an account unlock, now I'm surprised."

The point is that some people are irate that it wasn't an account unlock in the first place.
  • Options
    jennymachxjennymachx Posts: 3,000 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    As much as I would like for the auras to be account-wide unlocks, it looks to be too late to convert them to such, unless PWE / Cryptic wants to implement a reimbursement plan for those players who have bought identical auras for more than one character. I highly doubt that's going to happen.

If the auras sell well enough in their current per-character terms for Cryptic to continue releasing new auras in the store, then I can only conclude that it means a majority of people are okay with how they're being sold. Ultimately the money speaks volumes.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    jennymachx wrote: »
    unless PWE / Cryptic wants to implement a reimbursement plan for those players who have bought identical auras for more than one character. I highly doubt that's going to happen.

They already have the money. Giving them their Zen back to purchase aura sets they don't have makes no difference.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    They already have the money. Giving them their Zen back to purchase aura sets they don't have makes no difference.

That means reimbursed ZEN would be used to purchase additional aura sets and there isn't a profit made in this case. Like I said I doubt that's going to happen.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    jennymachx wrote: »
    That means reimbursed ZEN would be used to purchase additional aura sets and there isn't a profit made in this case. Like I said I doubt that's going to happen.

The profit is they already made the money. Using it on another set means that auras sell and they should make more.
  • Options
    nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    The way I see it, auras are costume unlocks. Costume unlocks are normally account wide.

Heres how I see it, I'm somewhere in the middle here. The basic ones when bought should be account wide. But premium ones should be per toon.
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    The profit is they already made the money. Using it on another set means that auras sell and they should make more.

Understand that I'm on your side here. All I'm saying is that reimbursement would be very unlikely. Consider a situation where someone has bought five of the same aura sets for five different characters. If Cryptic suddenly decides to make aura sets global-unlocks, is that someone entitled to a full refund for the other 4 extra sets? Obviously anyone would be happy getting as much free ZEN as they could, but on a business standpoint I don't think that's anywhere near reasonable.

If we continue to see more aura sets being released in the near future, then that means the standard of how they sell the sets on a per-character basis has already been widely-accepted sales-wise. If they sell well in contributing to keeping the game afloat then I have little to complain about. I felt the same way when they started introducing grab bags and lockboxes as did many others, but the masses have spoken and cosmic keys are good business. Who am I, or even a forum vocal minority, to complain against the masses?
  • Options
    jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,431 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Just curious. When the supermagnifier and supershrinker devices were implemented (before my time). Did people complain bitterly about those? Did folks demand that they be treated as account wide unlocks as well? Each one of those is even more expensive than an aura set, after all, and more expensive than a costume set.
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
  • Options
    themightyzeniththemightyzenith Posts: 4,599 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    jaazaniah1 wrote: »
    Just curious. When the supermagnifier and supershrinker devices were implemented (before my time). Did people complain bitterly about those? Did folks demand that they be treated as account wide unlocks as well? Each one of those is even more expensive than an aura set, after all, and more expensive than a costume set.

Okay....what's your point?
    zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Just seems to me that the aura purchasing system is more akin to the shrinker/magnifier system than it is to the costume system. If someone wanted 10 giant size characters he/she would have to purchase 10 magnifiers. Not as likely as someone wanting to equip 10 characters with flaming heads, but the same idea.
    Okay....what's your point?
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Just seems to me that the aura purchasing system is more akin to the shrinker/magnifier system than it is to the costume system. If someone wanted 10 giant size characters he/she would have to purchase 10 magnifiers. Not as likely as someone wanting to equip 10 characters with flaming heads, but the same idea.

The difference is, shrinker/magnifier was made as a 'fun' device more than a "device to help define your character" which is evident when you go in combat, it automatically turns off.

Auras were designed with the ideal of further character customisation to define their concept, so they used costume prices as a reference point for "what do you charge for character concept items, oh here's what we've charged before" but they didn't factor in the fact that costumes are also unlocked on an account basis.

if they're going to charge at a costume set price as their reference, they could at least make it reflect it fully by unlocking auras on an account basis too, not character only.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought the shrinker/magnifier effects turned off because they had some problems with programming and how they would affect combat. Like trying to target enemies past a giant or two.

For the one character I have a shrinker on it defines/customizes her concept just as much as the aura she has. There's really no difference for her concept-wise or fun-wise between the aura and shrinker.

Since shrinkers/magnifiers are even more limited (since they turn off in combat), it seems the same argument for account wide unlock should apply to them?

I guess that I just don't see a major difference between the auras and these 2 devices. I'll shut up now. Just wanted to throw a different perspective in.
    skcark wrote: »
    The difference is, shrinker/magnifier was made as a 'fun' device more than a "device to help define your character" which is evident when you go in combat, it automatically turns off.

Auras were designed with the ideal of further character customisation to define their concept, so they used costume prices as a reference point for "what do you charge for character concept items, oh here's what we've charged before" but they didn't factor in the fact that costumes are also unlocked on an account basis.

if they're going to charge at a costume set price as their reference, they could at least make it reflect it fully by unlocking auras on an account basis too, not character only.
    JwLmWoa.png
  • Options
    edited January 2014

Of course people didn't complain that Z-Store purchased devices were implemented differently. Before Z-Store devices were a thing, devices received in-game were either bind on pickup or bind on equip. Even after Z-Store devices were introduced we still see cases of in-game devices going by the old individually bound principle a la Dark Speed. Unbound devices were a welcome addition to the game.

The magnifiers were also never widely considered cosmetic options in the same vein that costume parts are. Auras also aren't devices and not transferable between accounts just like bound costume items and sets.

I suspect the only reason we don't have these as options in the tailor is because adding a new tab would require messing around with something that will likely break when fiddled with. *cough* lair copout *cough*
    ___________________________________________________________________________________________
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought the shrinker/magnifier effects turned off because they had some problems with programming and how they would affect combat. Like trying to target enemies past a giant or two.

For the one character I have a shrinker on it defines/customizes her concept just as much as the aura she has. There's really no difference for her concept-wise or fun-wise between the aura and shrinker.

Since shrinkers/magnifiers are even more limited (since they turn off in combat), it seems the same argument for account wide unlock should apply to them?

I guess that I just don't see a major difference between the auras and these 2 devices. I'll shut up now. Just wanted to throw a different perspective in.

Yes, generally speaking they are used for concepts, and fun, but they were primarily designed for a novelty item.

Auras were designed specifically as an addition to helping define a character with appearances etc..

It's because of the design intent i regard it as different, and so question the value of auras when it's designed to go along with character concepts like costumes do, yet it has glaringly obvious differences in limitations

Also, if you bought a become device or shrinker/mag and turned out to not like it, you could resell it anyway, if you don't like a costume set or aura and never plan on using it because it's that bad? nothing, and i'm not saying that's a bad thing, people should check before buying, however sometimes even when it looks cool by itself.. in use it might not work out as expected either.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    I think the confusion is over what are auras exactly. They stared out as visual representation of powers. We could use them all as long as we had enough globals for a retcon or Zen for an AT change.
    Now they are fancy costume parts and we are used to costume parts being account wide.
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    nepht wrote: »
    I think the confusion is over what are auras exactly. They stared out as visual representation of powers. We could use them all as long as we had enough globals for a retcon or Zen for an AT change.
    Now they are fancy costume parts and we are used to costume parts being account wide.

auras are auras o3o
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    My god, if aura sets in the store didn't bind that would be an entirely different story.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    My god, if aura sets in the store didn't bind that would be an entirely different story.

+1 for truth.
  • Options
    monaahirumonaahiru Posts: 3,073 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I got 100+ characters and I already give up about the auras.
    Not even one of my toon has any aura. :(
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    monaahiru wrote: »
    Not even one of my toon has any aura. :(
    Not even the free legacy auras??
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
  • Options
    monaahirumonaahiru Posts: 3,073 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    jonsills wrote: »
    Not even the free legacy auras??

Given up for I can't choose one. ;(
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    auras are auras o3o

But purely cosmetic so they can be considered as costume parts.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    monaahiru wrote: »

Even if you did get a set, god forbid you forget which one of those toons has the pieces let alone outfitting them all with aura pieces from the dozens of sets you would have to buy.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Even if you did get a set, god forbid you forget which one of those toons has the pieces let alone outfitting them all with aura pieces from the dozens of sets you would have to buy.

This is a massive pain in the neck. I've got all of the first wave aura sets(no fire or electric) and distributed a few of the items among my roster. When checking my shared storage the other day I noticed one of the pieces was unaccounted for. That day, I learned that having to constantly change character to check each of their aura tabs and aura storage bags ended up being one of the most tedious, mind-numbing and frustrating processes I've ever had to go through in a video game. Ever.

I never did actually find the aura item in question either.
  • Options
    ashensnowashensnow Posts: 2,048 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    This is a massive pain in the neck. I've got all of the first wave aura sets(no fire or electric) and distributed a few of the items among my roster. When checking my shared storage the other day I noticed one of the pieces was unaccounted for. That day, I learned that having to constantly change character to check each of their aura tabs and aura storage bags ended up being one of the most tedious, mind-numbing and frustrating processes I've ever had to go through in a video game. Ever.

Sounds like my, "who has the dark aura," experience last year. Major PITA, and I don't have that many characters.

'Caine, miss you bud. Fly high.
  • Options
    biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Arc User
    edited January 2014

ashensnow wrote: »
    Sounds like my, "who has the dark aura," experience last year. Major PITA, and I don't have that many characters.

Oh god, the days of playing "Where's my Heirloom gear," across 70 characters WITHOUT a "Change Character" button. PURE HATE!
    biffsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Its counter intuitive to have a cosmetic item set that you have to hand trade the pieces back and forth to use them if you have dozens of characters.

This punishes players who spent the time and money to get so many characters through subscriptions, lifetime or repeat purchases.

Please make aura sets so that they are given to all characters and are bound. If we want toons to have duplicate auras pieces with different colors, THEN we should be encouraged to buy the set again.
  • Options
    krazykarazankrazykarazan Posts: 33 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Cosmetic purchases such as aura sets should be treated like costume unlocks , they should be available across multiple characters per account at any given time If you wanted to use fire aura on 2 or more characters ( i.e. the same aura pieces), why do you need to pay another set for each character, when you already made the purchase? I can't see the justification to force players to purchase multiple sets of the SAME aura, if

1) they're locked to your account and are non-tradeable.
    2) they're purchased only with via the Z-store/C-store.

Can't they make the purchased set aura pieces similar to the ARC title unlock ? ( make the aura pieces appear in an "Aura bag" in each of the character's inventory. If you want to use it, click to activate the "Aura bag" so it appears in the aura storage inventory. I mean, the aura storage inventory is quite large, already, make use of it.
    I am @krazykarazan ingame
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Does anyone actually even disagree with this?

Those auras must be bringing in quite the bucks for them to keep them as is...guess somebody likes the system and is just throwing their money at it :|
  • Options
    themightyzeniththemightyzenith Posts: 4,599 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Cosmetic purchases such as aura sets should be treated like costume unlocks , they should be available across multiple characters per account at any given time If you wanted to use fire aura on 2 or more characters ( i.e. the same aura pieces), why do you need to pay another set for each character, when you already made the purchase? I can't see the justification to force players to purchase multiple sets of the SAME aura, if

1) they're locked to your account and are non-tradeable.
    2) they're purchased only with via the Z-store/C-store.

Can't they make the purchased set aura pieces similar to the ARC title unlock ? ( make the aura pieces appear in an "Aura bag" in each of the character's inventory. If you want to use it, click to activate the "Aura bag" so it appears in the aura storage inventory. I mean, the aura storage inventory is quite large, already, make use of it.

I really think they should have made them costume pieces and had an aura tab in the tailor.

But seeing as they didn't do that, I think this is probably the best thing they can do to this messed up system.
    zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Does anyone actually even disagree with this?

Those auras must be bringing in quite the bucks for them to keep them as is...guess somebody likes the system and is just throwing their money at it :|

I don't think that any of the devs or Trailturtle has been able to show the person who makes the choices that a great deal of people want it to change to this. If anyone sees him around and even in game, point him to this thread.
  • Options
    flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Maybe theres a secret 'Sect', group of people hiding in the shadows, who have their private channel straight to the to branch of top people 'Ties'N'Suits', in PW. And are the ones behind The Vehicles, The Auras and The Stuff...
    Sound like we need to call Jesse Ventura on this case.
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
  • Options
    bwdaresbwdares Posts: 1,517 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    flyingfinn wrote: »
    Maybe theres a secret 'Sect', group of people hiding in the shadows, who have their private channel straight to the to branch of top people 'Ties'N'Suits', in PW. And are the ones behind The Vehicles, The Auras and The Stuff...
    Sound like we need to call Jesse Ventura on this case.

Finn, your not supposed to talk about the group when the norms can hear you!
    #Mechanon!(completed) #New Zones! #Foundry!