test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Maintenance Release Notes, 11/14 7am PST

Comments

• reiwulfreiwulf Posts: 442 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Sure, use it as an example, I could have been more careful with typos though XD
    But still what worse for me is to see the huge distance between what the game is and what the game could be.
    Sometimes I wish they would just pull the plug on the game, and redoing it again, with cryptic0s new engine (which allows for the foundry) no ats/freeforms, a revamped graphical engine, and some other things that bug me a lot. But I doubt it will happen.
    natesig.jpg

• slowecsl4pweslowecsl4pwe Posts: 221 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    The one thing I am really not looking forward to is that my 40+ characters ALL have Heroic Avoidance gear with the dodge mod. Not looking forward to replacing all those defensive primaries that's for sure.

Apathy is on the rise, but nobody seems to care.
  • cybersoldier1981cybersoldier1981 Posts: 2,501 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    laughinxan wrote: »
    I felt CO could have been the better game, until the kitchen sink patch and making crafting useless with the catalyst nerf(long before on alert and the dreaded mod crafting system). After a year of CO from month one to month twelve of this game, I moved back, potential squandered as many have said. Thats why I will not go lifetimer, ever.

There was more than that.

CO's writing is god-awful. It's some of the worst crap I've ever seen passed off as a 'story'. Yes, I realize 'some people don't pay attention to it'. Fine, but some do. Just because people don't go dig in my couch cushions doesn't mean I can flip them up and drop a deuce under there. CoX actually had missions that flowed from one to the next, and then to the next contact.

Not to mention, having a Villain side made a lot of difference, as it gave a completely different half of the game to play with and different stuff to do.

CO doesn't let you be the hero you want to be, that is a lie. It allows you to look like the hero you want to be and be the hero Cryptic's Lazy writers think are in comic books.

CO's Freeform system is not a good thing. In the military, we say 'it briefs well'. In other words, it sounds good on paper. But it's one of the things with WAY too many imbalances once people figure it out.

CoX had a system that was simple. Your 'main' power tree and your 'other' power tree. I remembered playing a few different combinations, and for the most part the only drawback was the weapons switching, so that was what you avoided. While this seems 'restrictive', in retrospect and studying over it, it did a few things.

1- It kept things from being ridiculous. You didn't see the mishmash clown builds. You had an A and a B combo. If you couldn't get enough diversity out of that, you were wanting too much out of an MMORPG.

2- It kept roleplaying a bit more sane as well. Now, I didn't RP on there- but there was a bigger 'put up or shut up' culture because people either had a good working combo or they didn't- and it wasn't really hard to do. If you were claiming to be a 'god' or 'demon lord' and trying to RP one, some random martial artist/gadget combo guy could stomp your butt into the dirt (just an example, I don't remember how well it played. I liked the tomahawk axe thing and I forgot what else I used). CO's RP is blighted by 'RP PVPers' who log in to pick fights and 'settle it outside'.

3- It encouraged teaming. You couldn't fly through and solo everything because 'you had a good build'. Because of this, playing something other than CO's 'Tank' or 'DPS' roles (It's more duality here) was common. I remember seeing someone with a bunch of soldiers and a whip, I think- and I remember thinking that was kinda cool.

Other than that, I don't remember much. Someone else could probably expand more on it.

But to sit here and say that 'CO is a better game' is a matter of perspective. CO 'looks better', but people only lash out against CoX's archetypes and powers system because they can't make their unkillable uber god-toon and crush everything. Usually these types of players show why they have to make these types because of their elitist attitudes.
  • lordgarlordgar Posts: 267 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    This maintenance is complete.
  • reiwulfreiwulf Posts: 442 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I basically agree with everything that cybersoldier said.
    I think that complete FF is very unbalanced, unless it had mroe restrictions and/or skills were more balanced themselves.
    From a logic point it doesn't make much sense to have random skills on our chars, most superheroes have some kind of theme to their powers, not one fire, one ice, one electric, one ninja, one demon, one magical, one with guns, etc.
    I know many people love their FFs so I'm probably alone on this though.
    CoX system looked pretty good to me, it was somewhat free but not completely free, but much more balanced. Too bad I couldn't stand the graphics in that game enough to play it more than 10 mins.
    About the story and quests in CO, even though I know it was aimed more to be like those old suoperhero cartoons I still would have prefered something more serious (like DCUO) but I guess that's rather personal.
    natesig.jpg

edited November 2013
    gradii wrote: »
    sorry cybersoldier if you don't like the freeform system go over to CoT when it launches.

Good, more players need to leave CO, right?

It helps a lot when the community says 'Instead of improving or learning from another game's errors, GTFO'.
  • wrathsoul1wrathsoul1 Posts: 680 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    And I needed a reason to go back to DCUO.
  • tamxtamx Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    where ... is my 4th bag ???
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Tamx2 Primusdatabases
    edited November 2013
    tamx2 wrote: »
    where ... is my 4th bag ???

I have lost mine as well.

• ace10007ace10007 Posts: 33 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Seems the new update. made 5th inventory bags unavailable it shows now like I need to repurchase. when it already had it via veteran reward. :rolleyes:

Ingame under @AceMcCloud1007 leader of Heavy Artillery.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • kenpojujitsu3kenpojujitsu3 Posts: 1,320 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Anyone with an LTS able to log in and see if your vet rewards are functioning properly? Getting some reports of odd behavior including rewards vanishing for LTSes who had them already.
    Freeform Builds Directory (Last updated: 04/23/2016)
    Serving since September, 2009 / 65 Characters, 63 Level 40's
  • m1ndfr1km1ndfr1k Posts: 173 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    wow we have another vehicle lol
  • mrhinkypunkmrhinkypunk Posts: 1,569 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    People have lost their legacy RAD sphere, you better bring this back somehow.
  • zamuelpwezamuelpwe Posts: 668 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I have to wonder about the timing of the release. Part of me feels this was pushed out now in order to give more breathing room to the Fire and Ice alert since it was getting far less feedback while people discussed dodge.
    "Interesting builds are born from limitations not by letting players put everything into one build."

-Sterga
    edited November 2013
    ace10007 wrote: »
    Seems the new update. made 5th inventory bags unavailable it shows now like I need to repurchase. when it already had it via veteran reward. :rolleyes:

Same here. Just got that 4th slot this last month. What worries me is the bag is gone and not in my inventory, which is likewise for everything I had in the bag, which in some cases were devices I had collected during the recent Bloodmoon. All my various characters were storing Bloodmoon items in that 4th bag that has gone poof.

• flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Game over, man! Game over!

Yup, 5th bag is unavailable.
    And costume slots......
    moustache.gif
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • kemmicalskemmicals Posts: 853 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    My veteran costume pieces and retcon tokens are still there, but I did have some things in that fifth bag slot I'll be missing thanks to this bug. :/
    edited November 2013
    sorry cybersoldier if you don't like the freeform system go over to CoT when it launches.
    Anyone with an LTS able to log in and see if your vet rewards are functioning properly? Getting some reports of odd behavior including rewards vanishing for LTSes who had them already.

I haven't seen any funny behavior with vet rewards I had already....
  • crypticbuxomcrypticbuxom Posts: 4,618 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Bugs:

5th Bag slot now missing if you had it already including all its items.

Players reporting that bird heads are unlocked for them and they aren't even subbed.

I see the server is now closed for maintenance when I try logging back in, but I think you should boot everyone from the game for a rewind and to PROPERLY check IN GAME to see if everything is working properly.
  • aiqaaiqa Posts: 2,620 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    New bug.
    The last bag slot is suddenly not available anymore.

I really hope that can be fixed and that it didn't drop all the gear I had there. The last bag is where I keep all the devices, vehicles and other stuff I want to be able to swap in and out.
  • jamesbonnelljamesbonnell Posts: 170 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Argh. I noticed the bag issue on PTS but just worked around it for recent character copying.

Didn't even think to /bug it.
    edited November 2013
    Yeah...it'll only drive some players away on the edge if they find they lost everything in the bags, i really hope it didn't cost me my heroic peices on my main....

They have brought the servers down to fix it. Lol
  • nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Have you listened to yourself gradii?

Bloody hell you can hear text ona screen O_O"
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • m1ndfr1km1ndfr1k Posts: 173 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    COT may have much more potential btw.So u will have only lifers here when it start
  • wrathsoul1wrathsoul1 Posts: 680 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    m1ndfr1k wrote: »
    COT may have much more potential btw.

And I'll wait until it's F2P.
  • spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    reiwulf wrote: »
    I basically agree with everything that cybersoldier said.
    I think that complete FF is very unbalanced, unless it had mroe restrictions and/or skills were more balanced themselves.
    From a logic point it doesn't make much sense to have random skills on our chars, most superheroes have some kind of theme to their powers, not one fire, one ice, one electric, one ninja, one demon, one magical, one with guns, etc.
    I know many people love their FFs so I'm probably alone on this though.
    CoX system looked pretty good to me, it was somewhat free but not completely free, but much more balanced. Too bad I couldn't stand the graphics in that game enough to play it more than 10 mins.
    About the story and quests in CO, even though I know it was aimed more to be like those old suoperhero cartoons I still would have prefered something more serious (like DCUO) but I guess that's rather personal.

Your idea of "most heros" has a very narrow scope my friend. CO isn't just all tights-wearing, one dimensional, element heroes. We also have magic users here... you know, the kind who might know a fireball spell, a lightning spell, a freeze spell, a magical shield spell etc... We have magi-tech heroes, multi-elemental heroes, and heroes from other dimensions where you notion of theme might not even apply.

Then look at some of the NPCs in game, you'll actually find a few that cross over the powerset boundaries. Ever noticed how many DEMON npcs use chest beam? Check out Rakshasa and his mix of bestial and telepathy. Shadow D thinks its cool to mix magic and technology. There's many more examples.

If you want to be restricted to a one-dimensional single-set hero, there's always archetypes.
  • lukas0611lukas0611 Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Why Again man!
    edited November 2013
    it can, the powers just need to be rebalanced.

I always preferred CO to CoH, there is more action and more customization. Only problem is a lot of people are fairly single minded about their 'builds' and just end up choosing something because they see someone else using it.
  • avianosavianos Posts: 6,116 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    My game is patching while the server is down again! :U
    Not sure how this works
    POWERFRAME REVAMPS, NEW POWERS and BUG FIXES > Recycled Content and Events and even costumes at this point Introvert guy who use CO to make his characters playable and get experimental with Viable FF Theme builds! Running out of Unique FF builds due to the lack of updates and synergiesPlaying since 1 February 2011 98+ Characters (7 ATs, 91 FFs) ALTitis for Life!
    edited November 2013
    lukas0611 wrote: »
    Why Again man!

Stuff broke. Need fix. Relax.
    edited November 2013
    Yes, but it should be encouraged such people explore things and different tactics. The freeform system, I am sighing in defeat, it's an illusion because it doesn't encourage any variety of strategy in this game, CoX's archtype/powerset system did that, toon A played very, very different than toon B yet both were solo, CO you don't see that.

You actually do see that... I think your problem is you're only looking at the fotm copybuilders and convincing yourself that that's all there is.

I mean, since you're talking about this, you yourself do of course use unique builds and different tactics, right?

If that's the case... then what's the problem?

If that's not the case... then why are you doing the thing you're criticizing others for? u_u
  • lordgarlordgar Posts: 267 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    There appears to be an issue with veteran rewards disappearing for some players. We have brought the server down while we investigate. Sorry for the inconvenience.
    edited November 2013
    I always preferred CO to CoH, there is more action and more customization. Only problem is a lot of people are fairly single minded about their 'builds' and just end up choosing something because they see someone else using it.

Or they pick something because it has the biggest number, then complain that the freeform system isn't freeform because that big number is "forcing" them to use certain powers instead of what they "want" to use .-.
    edited November 2013
    Which i've asked for, and theres a sledgehammer nerf and the people who want everything to be nerfed(refraining from that word and that term), get there way.

You probably won't see that, if this game doesn't make it.

You guys are DESTROYING yourselves here. Really, you guys are doing this to yourselves. The things said and whatnot, it reflects badly on everything in CO.

Who's destroying themselves? You're being melodramatic. Go drink some tea and watch a movie on lifetime u_u
  • blkpanther2k5blkpanther2k5 Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I like cake
  • kenpojujitsu3kenpojujitsu3 Posts: 1,320 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    All freeforms are tank mages that don't use crowd control.

This is not true of several characters in my stable.
    Freeform Builds Directory (Last updated: 04/23/2016)
    Serving since September, 2009 / 65 Characters, 63 Level 40's
  • crosschancrosschan Posts: 920 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Just a few quick points...

laughinxan: Please understand and better represent that your posts are your own ideas/opinions and that just because YOU do not see something does not actually mean it's not there and/or possible. Also, might want to be careful with the word "all" since I know that at least I am the exception to most of those claims....and I would suspect I am not alone in this.(Edit: Oh look there's Kenpo, see what I mean?)

Lordgar: Thanks for the timely communication and efforts. Good luck. :biggrin:

The majority of everyone else: Could we please take a break from the doom parades and apocalyptic grandstanding so that these types of posts don't get in the way of relevant thread information about the current problems/bugs? I, personally, am way more concerned about losing a bag slot full of interesting pretties than I am another week in the "Let's theorycraft dodge doom" discussion. Please? :wink:
    2s9bzbq.jpg
  • trailturtletrailturtle Posts: 5,496 Perfect World Employee
    edited November 2013
    Hey all,

I just got into the office, so I'm catching up on what exactly happened. I promise that we're working to resolve this as soon as possible -- our intent with this VetRewards change was to make a positive change, and we're going to do what it takes to keep it positive. Stay tuned, I'll have more information soon.
    edited November 2013
    This is not true of several characters in my stable.

I think he means all the young people.
    moustache.gif
  • lukas0611lukas0611 Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    When It Will Finish?
  • quasimojo1quasimojo1 Posts: 642 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    We get free retcons, Justice gear seems to be in limbo, they didn't push the offense changes when they saw some potential numbers, etc.

Not happy, but it could have been worse.

Yeah, but what does Bank of America say about this patch? Is their army of lawyers still going to fight it on your behalf, or do they need to playtest it a little more first? :biggrin:
    LTS since 2009. Author of ACT parser module for CO. Founder of Rampagers. Resident curmudgeon.

"Without data, you're just another person with an opinion." -- W. Edwards Deming
  • crosschancrosschan Posts: 920 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Thanks for the communication TT. If this isn't corrected in the next hour I think we're gonna need you to go ahead with that Tri-Hawk. :cool:
    2s9bzbq.jpg
  • avianosavianos Posts: 6,116 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    futurama_fixit-555.gif
    POWERFRAME REVAMPS, NEW POWERS and BUG FIXES > Recycled Content and Events and even costumes at this point Introvert guy who use CO to make his characters playable and get experimental with Viable FF Theme builds! Running out of Unique FF builds due to the lack of updates and synergiesPlaying since 1 February 2011 98+ Characters (7 ATs, 91 FFs) ALTitis for Life!
    edited November 2013
    lukas0611 wrote: »
    When It Will Finish?
    Stay tuned, I'll have more information soon.

So, sit down, have a beer. If underage, have a soda.
    edited November 2013
    All freeforms are tank mages that don't use crowd control.

Some freeform system....

To many powers are underpowered, to a point of being very stupid to use....

...some freeform system...

...there aren't enough buffs that are in theme for people who want to play real support....

....some freeform system...

...support in fact tends to be healing healing healing...

....some freeform system.

You make me laugh. I find this to be single minded and fairly ignorant.

In what way are all FF's tanky mages with no control? I'm a dps techno controller that knees people in the shins and hits people under the belt as I'm a small imp, it's my theme. Most others have themes too. If someone doesn't want a theme then sure, it's up to them. IT'S THEIR CHOICE. Some free form system, giving us choice! I want to be forced into a theme!

Every power has a use, currently although I agree that some powers are underpowered to the point of not having that much of a point. You get this on most games though and you are in no way being forced NOT to use them.

There are plenty of buffs, many powers have advantages too which open up much more possibilities.

Support isn't ONLY healing. Support also makes CC strong, get manipulator and int and you'll have a super strong hold / root. You can also make it so when you root someone you make them take more damage, there are many more things like this. I don't see where you are getting all this from. :D
  • ninjapiffninjapiff Posts: 282 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Apparently no one gets that this is JUST A F:mad:CKING GAME. If the 'Obamacare' website can't even function after this long, I'd say it's a miracle that CO is up-and-running most of the time.

Just putting things in perspective, ya know. But in all seriousness, if you don't like CO, then y'all can get out. Just like 'Murica. You love 'Murica, don't you?

Well, CO and America is one and the same.

(ok, that's quite a stretch, but I think I made my point... whatever that may be)
    It makes sense, if you don't think about it.
    dwightmc wrote: »
    Maintenance tomorrow (11/14) will begin at 7am PST, the normal time.

Start time: 7am PST
    Estimated duration: 1.5 - 2 hours

Below are the release notes for the Patch

Veteran Rewards:

- Veteran Rewards now unlock immediately for Lifetime Subscribers. You can read more about this change here.

Powers

- Dodge and Avoid have changed substantially in this patch. Dodge Rating will now only be found on equipment and in specs, and will provide less dodge than in the past. In addition to this many of the powers that previously granted dodge rating now grant flat Dodge Chance. You can read more about these changes in this dev blog by Gentleman Crush.

- All characters created before October 24th 2013 have been given a Free Retcon.

Items:

- Recognition tokens that are dropped on the ground now have a unique appearance and will automatically picked when you walk over them.
    The Drifter Store:

- The Drifter store now has Armadillo costume pieces for sale.

- The Drifter store has a new vehicle for sale: AV-55C Akema VTOL

- You can now store Drifter Salvage in your Account Bank.

UI:

- Added a Change Character button to the game menu that goes to the Character Select screen.

- Added a Sort button to the inventory and bank windows.
    You didnt warn abuot the maint at 17hours EST How long will it last?
  • ninjapiffninjapiff Posts: 282 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    flyingfinn wrote: »
    So, sit down, have a beer. If underage, have a soda.

How about a Rum and Cola?
    It makes sense, if you don't think about it.
    You didnt warn abuot the maint at 17hours EST How long will it last?

**** happens, jonnyboy.
    But i agree. Trailturtle needs to forsee the future.
    moustache.gif
    edited November 2013
    You guys are destroying yourselves by telling CoX players to move on, alienating us.

You guys are destroying yourselves by asking for sledgehammer nerfs and getting it.

You guys are destroying yourselves by closing out anyones suggestion based on the game they played in the past, even when they tell you repeatedly they are not asking for a copy of the game

You guys are destroying yourselves by ENCOURAGING the neglect at large and not allowing for any conditions in this game for any truer variety of tactics.

And you ultimate destroy yourselves by making yourselves look bad.

Have you watched hell on wheels? When the Cheyenne visit the town in the first season? They see a dying animal, a woman vomiting covered in her own filth, and get subject to biggotry and racism. Well, us CoX players are the cheyenne, you guys come off as the europeans. When someone said we were welcomed, I think that was bullcrap, you let a few bad apples among us, like golden girl, paint this negative image on ALL of us.

Well, you guys get a negative image painted on yourselves.

Calm down man. Look, you clearly are being way to naive by saying that you are being forced to FOTM for one. Plus there are many more tactics to use, I don't see nearly enough people using props like trees to cut of field of view.

You are saying you being an old CoX player gives you the right to step all over other peoples opinions. There are MANY more CoX players, not everyone is you, you do not represent CoX as the game it once was. Calm down.

Also have you ever tried the 12 second stuns? :)
This discussion has been closed.