Your game is not worth $14.99 a month.

124»

Comments

• Options
    xen0biaxen0bia Posts: 140 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    smoochan wrote: »

You appear to be taking it literally.

Oh, please keep going, it's not getting old yet. I'm sure you can come up with something better than that. *pats smoochan on the head*

In the meantime, I'll be writing Kaizerin a thank you note for creating the forum ignore function. Toodles!
    gamehobo wrote: »
    The implication that Cryptic studios treats Champions Online customers without their deserved dignity or respect translates quite resoundingly to an abusive relationship.

The people here who are arguing the contrary are truly just winning internet points. Slowly building a bridge to live under practicing their favorite rhymes like:

"You have to play the troll toll to get into that boys soul"

I can't quote this 'For Truth' enough...
  • Options
    zahinderzahinder Posts: 2,382 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    A more sophisticated example would be the Milgram experiments...
    Campaign: The Fenwick Cycle NWS-DKR9GB7KH

Wicks and Things: NW-DI4FMZRR4 : The Fenwick merchant family has lost a caravan! Can you help?

Beggar's Hollow: NW-DR6YG4J2L : Someone, or something, has stolen away many of the Fenwicks' children! Can you find out what happened to them?

Into the Fen Wood: NW-DL89DRG7B : Enter the heart of the forest. Can you discover the secret of the Fen Wood?
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    High horse? You think that I think I'm better than you because I don't agree with your analogy?

Settle down.

Calling an opinion stupid goes beyond disagreeing, it's condescending.

Also, look at who made a fuss over an analogy and then tell me to settle down.
  • Options
    spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    edited July 2013
  • Options
    jaguar40jaguar40 Posts: 204 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    zahinder wrote: »
    I think it's more like chefs listening to friends gush about how wonderful the Italian food is at Olive Garden.

twitch

Maybe they never had real authentic, in Italy, Italian food.

Remember when Playstation one was considered state of the art realistic as can be graphics. Now people look at it and go "yeeeeesh".
  • Options
    jennymachxjennymachx Posts: 3,000 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I pretty much view someone wasting their time arguing about a game they utterly despise on that game's forum suffering from Stockholm's Syndrome themself.

Do us a favor and disappear while doing something that you find actual pleasure in doing.
  • Options
    ajanusajanus Posts: 501 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    FreeForm makes this game worth every penny of the subscription.

I couldn't even begin to imagine being stuck with nothing but ATs, a global cap, and having to spend questionite just to get some of the basic costume sets.

To me, anyone who plays this game, but doesn't subscribe, is INSANE.

Remember: Half the people you know are below average...

Do not correct a fool, for he will hate you for it. Correct a wise man, for he will appreciate you for it.

Don't be like the Qularr. They would not last one round in the Interstellar Galactic Arena...

Handle @brayv
  • Options
    smoochansmoochan Posts: 2,564 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    ajanus wrote: »

I couldn't even begin to imagine being stuck with nothing but ATs, a global cap, and having to spend questionite just to get some of the basic costume sets.

I don't subscribe.
    I have several freeforms.
    Unclear on insane.

Champions Online: Be the hero you wish you could be in a better game.
  • Options
    zahinderzahinder Posts: 2,382 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Agreed, but I maintain that the 'tension' between free and subscription doesn't encourage people to subscribe so much as it encourages people to go play something else.

And this game can't afford that... I think Cryptic would make more money on this game by giving more away for free, which is a model that has worked VERY well for, say, STO.
    Campaign: The Fenwick Cycle NWS-DKR9GB7KH

Wicks and Things: NW-DI4FMZRR4 : The Fenwick merchant family has lost a caravan! Can you help?

Beggar's Hollow: NW-DR6YG4J2L : Someone, or something, has stolen away many of the Fenwicks' children! Can you find out what happened to them?

Into the Fen Wood: NW-DL89DRG7B : Enter the heart of the forest. Can you discover the secret of the Fen Wood?
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    jennymachx wrote: »
    I pretty much view someone wasting their time arguing about a game they utterly despise on that game's forum suffering from Stockholm's Syndrome themself.

Do us a favor and disappear while doing something that you find actual pleasure in doing.

Is that directed at me? If so, have you read my original comment? Because nowhere do I say that I hate or despise the game, I even said the contrary. I find the game terribly lacking and other things but, not unlike a person that likes a bad movie as a guilty pleasure, I still get fun and entertainment out of it. But if there's something that bothers me enough, I can criticize it all I want. Also, I never excluded myself from the 2-word-expression-that-shall-not-be-spoken-here-because-it-overexcites-some-people equation, I even previously described myself as being a 'masochist' of sort... So yeah........
    ajanus wrote:

I agree to some extent, but you gotta remember that in its early days, FF was all you could be (well you could choose to follow a default AT but FF was always available to you), you could only be subscribed. It's only when the game went F2P that FF became exclusive to subscribers, so can you really say that it's worth that much, content-wise, when it's something that's always been there? To me it still needs a lot more meat around the bone for it to be true. But I get what you are saying. I couldn't imagine playing CO as a Silver either, it's just not how the game wasn't meant to be played.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    xen0bia wrote: »
    Is that directed at me? If so, have you read my original comment? Because nowhere do I say that I hate or despise the game, I even said the contrary. I find the game terribly lacking and other things but, not unlike a person that likes a bad movie as a guilty pleasure, I still get fun and entertainment out of it. But if there's something that bothers me enough, I can criticize it all I want. Also, I never excluded myself from the 2-word-expression-that-shall-not-be-spoken-here-because-it-overexcites-some-people equation, I even previously described myself as being a 'masochist' of sort... So yeah........

Yeah, it gets on your nerves when someone carelessly uses a deragotary label against you doesn't it? Don't you feel irritated when someone calls you a willing victim of abuse when it's not the case at all?

By the way, it's kind of mind-boggling considering what you've said about people defending the game on its (valid) merits suffering from Stockholm's and then later on admit that you still play the game because you get entertainment and fun value out of it. So people who outline the merits of why they enjoy the game against someone seeking to discredit them are being said to have Stockholm's but nooooooooooo, that doesn't apply to you even though you still enjoy playing it yourself.

I don't think I need to spell out the word that describes that for you. I'll give you a clue, it begins with a capital 'H'. Go figure.
  • Options
    edited July 2013

You can't fool me with your chain of dash words, you're ringing the Stockholm Syndrome bell again! :D

demotivation-posters-auto-254469.jpeg

• Options
    itsbrou#5396 itsbrou Posts: 1,778 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    It is, too!

I can't hear your value assessment over the sound of my body splashing into this crystal clear swimming pool in the V.I.P. lounge!

*slurp slurp* Want some of this Epictini? Too bad! It is not for unsubscribed plebs! *ties cherry stem in knot with teeth.* This luxurious reclining poolside chair can support triple my weight, and it has cloth padding with a flowery design!
    Brou in Cryptic games.
  • Options
    flamingbunnymanflamingbunnyman Posts: 2,035 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Unclear on insane.

Oh, you are completely, undeniably, 112% certifiably insane.

Your subscription status in no way factors into that.
    edited July 2013
    jennymachx wrote: »
    Yeah, it gets on your nerves when someone carelessly uses a deragotary label against you doesn't it? Don't you feel irritated when someone calls you a willing victim of abuse when it's not the case at all?

By the way, it's kind of mind-boggling considering what you've said about people defending the game on its (valid) merits suffering from Stockholm's and then later on admit that you still play the game because you get entertainment and fun value out of it. So people who outline the merits of why they enjoy the game against someone seeking to discredit them are being said to have Stockholm's but nooooooooooo, that doesn't apply to you even though you still enjoy playing it yourself.

I don't think I need to spell out the word that describes that for you. I'll give you a clue, it begins with a capital 'H'. Go figure.

Uh ok, so, in your book it's impossible to enjoy something while also being able to admit its many many faults (basically the definition of a guilty pleasure) and actually agree when someone makes valid complaints about it? Also, I never disagreed with people defending the good points about the game - I'm playing it after all - I just don't think it's nearly as great as they think it is. That where I brought up the Stockholm thing - something that has gotten twisted around so badly it's beyond recognition at this point - in the sense that the smallest sign of life from the game seems so much bigger than it really is (when compared to other games) because they have lowered their expectations so much. I never intended to say that people *actually* suffered from Stockholm's, it was always meant only as an analogy.

Here's my actual quote (with minor spelling error corrections) :
    xen0bia wrote:
    If CO had diverse content equal to WoW (or just a fraction of it...) or amazing storytelling ala SWTOR then we wouldn't be having this conversation. I'd tell the OP the shove it up where the sun doesn't shine and be done with it. But the fact is, CO is terribly terribly lacking but we want to play superheroes so g*****n much we stick to it like glue regardless since those games are so rare. We have develop Stockholm syndrome and we content ourselves with the smallest crumbs that come our way like it's the biggest thing ever. We are so used to getting so little, we never ask for better. No other game community would put up with this, but we do - we're special that way...

So I really didn't call anyone anything. It was an extremely broad statmement that I said as a throwaway joke more than anything else so there's really no reason to act offended. Do I think some people fits the 'profile' somewhat? Sure, sorta, but that's just my opinion, one that I have just as much right as anybody else to have. You are free to disagree; I really don't care. But how that makes me an hypocrite somehow, I sure as hell don't know.
  • Options
    lucasjacksonlucasjackson Posts: 106 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Uh ok, so, in your book it's impossible to enjoy something while also being able to admit its many many faults (basically the definition of a guilty pleasure) and actually agree when someone makes valid complaints about it? Also, I never disagreed with people defending the good points about the game - I'm playing it after all - I just don't think it's nearly as great as they think it is. That where I brought up the Stockholm thing - something that has gotten twisted around so badly it's beyond recognition at this point - in the sense that the smallest sign of life from the game seems so much bigger than it really is (when compared to other games) because they have lowered their expectations so much. I never intended to say that people *actually* suffered from Stockholm's, it was always meant only as an analogy.

Here's my actual quote (with minor spelling error corrections) :

So I really didn't call anyone anything. It was an extremely broad statmement that I said as a throwaway joke more than anything else so there's really no reason to act offended. Do I think some people fits the 'profile' somewhat? Sure, sorta, but that's just my opinion, one that I have just as much right as anybody else to have. You are free to disagree; I really don't care. But how that makes me an hypocrite somehow, I sure as hell don't know.

I think I see the problem now. You don't actually understand the very things you're saying.

You say you didn't really say people have Stockholm syndrome, but your exact words were "We have develop Stockholm syndrome..." You should have said something like "It's like we have develop" instead.

Then, you say that a guilty pleasure is something that you enjoy despite its flaws. The problem there is that a guilty pleasure is something that you feel guilty while taking pleasure in it. See, that's why they put those two words together.

Okay, now I do feel like I'm better than you.

TO ME, LARGE HORSE! LET US LEAVE THESE PLEBIANS IN OUR PROVERBIAL DUST!

(And by "proverbial" I mean "hypothetical" since we're just making up what things mean now.)
  • Options
    decorumfriendsdecorumfriends Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    smoochan wants engagement:

Like I said, TERA doesn't have much in the way of story or editing. But you know... sometimes i wanna play a video game... not character creator

You are my polar opposite. The combat is the least important part of this game to me. It's all about creating and using the characters. Frankly, after CoX, even this game is a little more twitch-oriented than I prefer.

And any game where gear changes my look? Not in the least interested.
    'Dec out

QDSxNpT.png
  • Options
    ashensnowashensnow Posts: 2,048 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I seem to recall costume sets (which are currently the same price as the emote pack) to be 380 CP back in the days, not to mention the frequent 20-25% off sales they had back then which dropped the price even lower. $5 may not seem like that big of a deal of an increase but in the grand scheme of things, it is.

Also, for a pack that only offers dance moves, something the game had already quantity of, it does feel a tad overpriced.

I don't know much about coding but an emote, involving movement, seems like more of a big deal to me. While you say, "only offers dance moves," I say, "finally got more dance moves."

Takes the guy at Peet's a few minutes to make my coffee...which I then consume over the course of the next ten to twenty minutes, after which it is gone forever. Same price as an emote pack that I get to use potentially for years.

My wife and I went to see The Wolverine last night. $15.50 for each ticket. I loved the movie, but still three times the cost of the emote pack, for a couple hours of, "use."

I tend to think that micro transactions that are more micro have the potential to be more profitable. But I, none of us really, don't know how much stipend is sitting out there unspent. Pricing for any new Z-Store item is likely, IMO, going to be influenced by Cryptic's knowledge that there is some portion of the target customer base that will be getting the item at either no additional monetary cost, or at a discount.

'Caine, miss you bud. Fly high.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    I think I see the problem now. You don't actually understand the very things you're saying.

You say you didn't really say people have Stockholm syndrome, but your exact words were "We have develop Stockholm syndrome..." You should have said something like "It's like we have develop" instead.

Then, you say that a guilty pleasure is something that you enjoy despite its flaws. The problem there is that a guilty pleasure is something that you feel guilty while taking pleasure in it. See, that's why they put those two words together.

Okay, now I do feel like I'm better than you.

TO ME, LARGE HORSE! LET US LEAVE THESE PLEBIANS IN OUR PROVERBIAL DUST!

(And by "proverbial" I mean "hypothetical" since we're just making up what things mean now.)

If you seriously thought I meant people actually had Stockholm's even after I repeatedly said it was meant as an analogy (which generally entails that it's NOT a literal thing) and even said not to take it literally and you still did then that doesn't make you brighter than me, that makes you the opposite.

And I'm sorry if 'guilty pleasure' doesn't quite translate to the same thing in my mother's tongue, but regardless of that, I highly doubt people actually feel real guilt for trivial things such as these. Again it's a figure of speech not meant to be taken literally... And a quick google search gives me this...

"'Guilty pleasure' is more of a figure of speech to describe the things that we acknowledge as terrible but support in spite of that assessment. It's an illogical term. Like if you really enjoy the movie Starcrash: you certainly don't enjoy it because the filmmakers did a good job - you get a kick out of it either way.

I doubt any of us feel guilty about these things. We realize how bad they are and don't feel a need to defend them, but love them nonetheless. "

Oh look, isn't it like exactly how I used it? Learn things every day...
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    This place cracks me up. Two pages arguing about a Stockholm Syndrome analogy? **snickers**
    'Dec out

QDSxNpT.png
  • Options
    savagedeaconsavagedeacon Posts: 219 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    It's not Stockholm syndrome nor is it "we love Cryptic."

We love the game, and we've lowered our standards of expectations. We recognize all the flaws, but hey, at least we're getting new stuff.
    We don't love Cryptic?We don't suffer by Stockholm syndrome? Just go to the Neverwinter forum(other game, same publisher- old Cryptic) and see about what they are complaining there. If we don't love Cryptic why we (many of us anyway) are there too playing another of their games ( and suffering from Cryptic "lovely slaps" -same like here)? :biggrin:
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    We don't love Cryptic?We don't suffer by Stockholm syndrome? Just go to the Neverwinter forum(other game, same publisher- old Cryptic) and see about what they are complaining there. If we don't love Cryptic why we (many of us anyway) are there too playing another of their games ( and suffering from Cryptic "lovely slaps" -same like here)? :biggrin:
    Don't look at me. I tried Nevergonnaplayagain, I didn't enjoy it; I stopped playing. No problem here. I don't go into the forum, because why would I hang out in the forum for a game I don't play?

Now, if that applies to you, that's your affair. Not my circus, not my monkeys, you know?
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    ashensnow wrote: »
    I don't know much about coding but an emote, involving movement, seems like more of a big deal to me. While you say, "only offers dance moves," I say, "finally got more dance moves."

I discussed this with a few friends when the pack came out and we all agreed on how disappointing the pack was. We were all hoping to see heroic poses and so on, emotes NPCs already have in fact (so no new animation required really). So while you might be happy about the new dance moves, for a lot of us it really wasn't what we were hoping for. This could easily have been the 2nd or 3rd pack released instead.

ashensnow wrote: »
    My wife and I went to see The Wolverine last night. $15.50 for each ticket. I loved the movie, but still three times the cost of the emote pack, for a couple hours of, "use.".

Wait, what? $15,50?! Ok now I feel really grateful my corner of the world still offers special Tuesday evening's for $6 (granted it's 2D, but I effing hate 3D so I don't care). More than $10 for a ticket is robbery. xD
    This place cracks me up. Two pages arguing about a Stockholm Syndrome analogy? **snickers**

Not my fault, everyone and their mother keeps bringing it up, and I'm the first person who'd like to see it put to rest, but at the same time I'm not just gonna let a bunch of Ds have their with me either.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    If you seriously thought I meant people actually had Stockholm's even after I repeatedly said it was meant as an analogy (which generally entails that it's NOT a literal thing) and even said not to take it literally and you still did then that doesn't make you brighter than me, that makes you the opposite.

And I'm sorry if 'guilty pleasure' doesn't quite translate to the same thing in my mother's tongue, but regardless of that, I highly doubt people actually feel real guilt for trivial things such as these. Again it's a figure of speech not meant to be taken literally... And a quick google search gives me this...

"'Guilty pleasure' is more of a figure of speech to describe the things that we acknowledge as terrible but support in spite of that assessment. It's an illogical term. Like if you really enjoy the movie Starcrash: you certainly don't enjoy it because the filmmakers did a good job - you get a kick out of it either way.

I doubt any of us feel guilty about these things. We realize how bad they are and don't feel a need to defend them, but love them nonetheless. "

Oh look, isn't it like exactly how I used it? Learn things every day...

WOW! How far did you have to dig for that definition?!

Oh, about this far: http://www.avpgalaxy.net/forum/index.php?topic=36041.35;wap2

You're really trying to tell me that some random guy on some random Aliens vs Predator forum's interpretation of "Guilty Pleasure" is more valid than, say, Merriam-Webster's definition of it?

Right, sorry, "Sharp Sticks" is the authority on what things mean in the English language, not, you know, every other actual legitimate authority on these kinds of matters.

Maybe sometime in the future, someone will have a debate on what an automobile is, and they will come here on some desperate "quick google search" and learn that I define an automobile as "a pressurized expression of gas from a butt." And that will cement its definition forever. It's as good as written in stone!

Nah instead I will stick with my earlier assessment. You do not understand the things that you, yourself say.

"Learn things every day" indeed! Hahahahahahaha.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Ladies, ladies...you're BOTH pretty. :tongue:
    'Dec out

QDSxNpT.png
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Maybe, but I'm so much prettier.
  • Options
    ashensnowashensnow Posts: 2,048 Arc User
    edited July 2013

Duh,

Cool Hand.

'Caine, miss you bud. Fly high.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    **goes to hunt up a bunch of eggs for lucas** :biggrin:

EDIT: D'oh! I can't believe I failed to go with the obvious "What we have here is a failure to communicate!"
    'Dec out

QDSxNpT.png
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    WOW! How far did you have to dig for that definition?!

Oh, about this far: http://www.avpgalaxy.net/forum/index.php?topic=36041.35;wap2

You're really trying to tell me that some random guy on some random Aliens vs Predator forum's interpretation of "Guilty Pleasure" is more valid than, say, Merriam-Webster's definition of it?

Right, sorry, "Sharp Sticks" is the authority on what things mean in the English language, not, you know, every other actual legitimate authority on these kinds of matters.

Maybe sometime in the future, someone will have a debate on what an automobile is, and they will come here on some desperate "quick google search" and learn that I define an automobile as "a pressurized expression of gas from a butt." And that will cement its definition forever. It's as good as written in stone!

Nah instead I will stick with my earlier assessment. You do not understand the things that you, yourself say.

"Learn things every day" indeed! Hahahahahahaha.

The point was that the expression could also be recognize in the way I used it by people who don't have a rod up where the sun don't shine. I'll keep my earlier assessment of you as well, here's a clue: it starts with a D and ends with ick...

And since you insist on being a smart***, I have a perfect spot for you riiiiiight next to smoochan in my troll list. Toodles!
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    The point was that the expression could also be recognize in the way I used it by people who don't have a rod up where the sun don't shine. I'll keep my earlier assessment of you as well, here's a clue: it starts with a D and ends with ick...

And since you insist on being a smart***, I have a perfect spot for you riiiiiight next to smoochan in my troll list. Toodles!

Sure, any expression can mean anything you want if you're ignorant to what they actually mean. "Top o' the mornin' to ya" could mean that you're constipated if you've convinced yourself that it's the correct meaning.

But no, by all means, continue feeding your ignorance by "winning" internet "arguments" by getting the last word and putting the other guy on ignore.

Success!!!

And yes Dec, much more fitting.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Sure, any expression can mean anything you want if you're ignorant to what they actually mean. "Top o' the mornin' to ya" could mean that you're constipated if you've convinced yourself that it's the correct meaning.

But no, by all means, continue feeding your ignorance by "winning" internet "arguments" by getting the last word and putting the other guy on ignore.

Success!!!

And yes Dec, much more fitting.

OK dude, you're right I'm complete idiot. You are correct about absolutely everything. How could ever hope to outsmart the smartest amoung us, I truly don't know what came over me.

There, happy? Hope that makes feel better. I hereby submit to your incontestable superiority and concede the 'last word' to your graciousness. You win the Internet, congrats! Give yourself a good pat in the back!

*back to ignoring you now*
  • Options
    pallihwtfpallihwtf Posts: 677 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Nobody is right, everyone is wrong. :smile:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    @Pallih in game
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Oh Snap! Lucas! Smoo! You Made It To His S*** List!

Man, The Humiliation! How Will You Both Ever Deal With It!
  • Options
    kemmicalskemmicals Posts: 853 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    ... And I'm just sitting here playing some Guilty Gear while peering at these goofy jeers.

Gotta love how these topics always devolve into mudslinging for some reason or another.
  • Options
    monaahirumonaahiru Posts: 3,073 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    wrote:
    Your game is not worth $14.99 a month.
    Your game doesn't, my game does!!
    cuteness-overload-meme-is-it-okay-if-i-drive.png
  • Options
    edited July 2013

Going by avatar... I'm going to have to agree.

Also... Lucas.. this might be ironic... I think you have to explain to someone what "getting the last word" means...but it might already be too late.
    kemmicals wrote: »
    ... And I'm just sitting here playing some Guilty Gear while peering at these goofy jeers.

Gotta love how these topics always devolve into mudslinging for some reason or another.

"Your game is not worth $14.99 a month."

This thread started at mud slinging.

• Options
    alterbee#8429 alterbee Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited July 2013

"Your game is not worth $14.99 a month."

This thread started at mud slinging.

Forgive me for having an opinion on a game that I've been playing since it's release and saw so much potential in.

Instead, it's being wasted with the schizophrenic nature of this game. "Do i wanna be a subscription based game or a f2p cash shop game? Screw it, I'll be both and try to milk everything i can!". Our last real content added to this game was Vibora Bay and the Adventure packs, though the comic style missions were cool too, but they were abandoned pretty quick.

Let's not even go in to detail what the developers have done to this games PvP...
  • Options
    biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I'm going to close this down; too much fighting going on for this to get back on track. If you want to discuss it further, you can start a new thread, but maybe try a nicer title?
    biffsig.jpg
This discussion has been closed.