test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

So this Cryptic North lot who are they exactly?

nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
Well as others has posted elsewhere in the forums a new studio Cryptic North have been given Champs to deal with .

Who's this Russell Williams and whats his team actually doing? What does this mean for us?
nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    psi2psi2 Posts: 38 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    As posted elsewhere, my reply is this: YouTube
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    psi2 wrote: »

HA! Indeed. But what worries me this is a PWE founded dev team and not really Cryptic >_>

I hope we dont end up with sparkle spiders and wedding dresses :<
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
  • Options
    crypticbuxomcrypticbuxom Posts: 4,591 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Let me direct you to this Q&A with Jack AND Russell. Apparently they have been working with Cryptic since last year regularly.

This step means that Russell's team will be focusing on Champions. Yes. FOCUSING on Champions. Though 12 is a small order. But its more than what we've apparently had for the last year.
  • Options
    psi2psi2 Posts: 38 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Not to call any doom into this thread.... but...

There are a lot of ways CO can become better... but very few ways to become worse.
  • Options
    flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    So they dumped Champions to Canadians???
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    fudgemonstafudgemonsta Posts: 1,591 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    flyingfinn wrote: »

Yes! Our moose plans have worked! Brothers and sisters, prepare the beaver cavalry! We march at dawn!
    @HangingDeath

Deliciously nutritious!
  • Options
    edited June 2013

OMG They should replace Defender's voice actor with David Duchovny , would give Defender's obsession with penetrating buildings a whole new meaning.
  • Options
    crypticbuxomcrypticbuxom Posts: 4,591 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    That's pretty close to Nintendo of America's headquarters.
  • Options
    sanguinevipersanguineviper Posts: 451 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, Pirates of the burning sea, oh god. My sides. Ow, oh...

Snark never dies.
  • Options
    canadascottcanadascott Posts: 1,257 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Color one part encouraged, one part skeptical. But Cryptic actually mentioning Champions Online in an article is a good sign, as are the pair of articles that appeared recently.
    /CanadaBanner4.jpg
  • Options
    flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Now just grab popcorn and wait the offical announcement about this.
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Color one part encouraged, one part skeptical. But Cryptic actually mentioning Champions Online in an article is a good sign, as are the pair of articles that appeared recently.

Saying they are heading your way they should hire you as their local Champs lore guy.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Now just grab popcorn and wait the offical announcement about this.

They did announce it officially just not in the place they should be doing it. Cryptic logic strikes again!
  • Options
    sparhawksparhawk Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, Pirates of the burning sea, oh god. My sides. Ow, oh...

Indeed, it will be interesting to see how they do with Champions.
  • Options
    sparhawksparhawk Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    nepht wrote: »
    They did announce it officially just not in the place they should be doing it. Cryptic logic strikes again!

At least it was posted on the Internet (on at least two sites even!) instead of Twitter or Facebook.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    sparhawk wrote: »
    Indeed, it will be interesting to see how they do with Champions.

Next event : Forum Piratium.

Defend your flying Colosseum vehicle from spehss pirates as they try to steal your loot.
    @HangingDeath

Deliciously nutritious!
  • Options
    fantasycharacterfantasycharacter Posts: 458 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    IDK what to think...passed off yet again? This title needs a consistent team. But at least this is a team.

But I do have small spark in the deepest pits of my being waiting to become an inferno:redface:
  • Options
    kemmicalskemmicals Posts: 853 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Next event : Forum Piratium.

Defend your flying Colosseum vehicle from spehss pirates as they try to steal your loot.

With your Battol Bruvas in making sure your perimeter is secure, should they be so bald and so foolish.

1361634146431.jpg
  • Options
    sigmaseven0sigmaseven0 Posts: 714 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Jack wrote:
    We just launched the Legacy of Romulus expansion to Star Trek Online and our Neverwinter Open Beta. Huge efforts for us. It's easy, as a studio, to get focused on a task to the exclusion of all else.
    All else means Champions.

Maybe all that those articles in the media exposing how Cryptic has treated CO got noticed. Im keeping my expectations in check, but at least this is proof of some kind of financial investment in CO.

My prediction is that we get events more on the level of Night Hawk:
    1. news of the world providing back story
    2. new costume pack
    3. regular alerts
    4. instanced missions
    5. a custom alert w/multiple environments

as apposed to the more basic Forum Malvanum event:
    1. a race
    2. incomplete costume set
    3. one custom alert with one environment

PVP is starving without rewards

1. Please give us Daily PVP missions that reward Questionite.
    2. Please give us an exchange rate between Acclaim and Recognition so that PVP has access to all "On Alert" PVE rewards.
  • Options
    kojirohellfirekojirohellfire Posts: 2,075 Arc User
    edited June 2013

Washington state is not Canada.
  • Options
    biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Let me direct you to this Q&A with Jack AND Russell. Apparently they have been working with Cryptic since last year regularly.

This step means that Russell's team will be focusing on Champions. Yes. FOCUSING on Champions. Though 12 is a small order. But its more than what we've apparently had for the last year.

I read the article and it sounded a lot like they've been focusing on polishing Champs for half a year now. What does this say to me? That these guys are the reason we have an event every three or four months with a new lockbox, and costume pieces that they still can't get right, instead of the alternative - true maintenance mode.

Not only that, they're not focused on Champions. They say that they've been working on Champs, Star Trek, and Neverwinter. This piece of a studio is our team, and has been for half a year.
    Absolutely we want to grow the studio to be more than it is. Realistically, all growth is contingent upon success. Right now our games are incredibly successful, so we're growing and that means expansion North and South.

You guys can't possibly think that he's even thinking about Champions here, right?

I honestly hope I'm wrong, because Champs is still my favorite MMO. But this doesn't sound this new studio is the Superman to our Lois Lane.
    biffsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2013

It is in Multifaria :P
  • Options
    slumpywpgslumpywpg Posts: 129 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Yes! Our moose plans have worked! Brothers and sisters, prepare the beaver cavalry! We march at dawn!

LOL

*salute from winnipeg*

go jets go
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    slumpywpg wrote: »
    LOL

*salute from winnipeg*

go jets go

Slurpee capital of the world!

...Not much to be proud of really aside from being Winterpeg, but I'm damn proud of it!

The plan is already taking hold! They are fooled, buwaha!
    @HangingDeath

Deliciously nutritious!
  • Options
    jennymachxjennymachx Posts: 3,000 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Part of me feels hopeful with the declaration that they want to focus on Champs. The other part of me feels skeptical about the whole thing.

Just wait and see I guess. Personally I've gotten sick and tired of waiting.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    The plan is already taking hold! They are fooled, buwaha!

I think I would know if I was a Canadian citizen.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Personally I'm just gonna roll with it. If they fail to uphold anything, not big surprise. It's what we got now. New stuff? Awesome, happiness engaged.
    I think I would know if I was a Canadian citizen.

Do you taste the syrup yet? :wink:
    @HangingDeath

Deliciously nutritious!
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Do you taste the syrup yet? :wink:
    There's syrup containing artificial maple flavor in the store, I don't have health care, and the nearest Tim Horton's would require a passport to visit. I don't think we're in Canada...

(On the plus side, I do get to listen to CFMI-FM, a classic-rock station out of Vancouver, on my cable system. They're legally required to play 40% Canadian content, so I get a lot of Rush, and some cuts you rarely hear in the States like Guess Who's "Running Back To Saskatoon".)
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
  • Options
    slumpywpgslumpywpg Posts: 129 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    CANADA: the ham of truth, or, the best skit on Kids in The Hall.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2Ka2nkIi2I
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    ITT: People who flunked geography.
  • Options
    towershield#4714 towershield Posts: 1,208 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    ITT: People who flunked geography.

ITT: People who can't into jokes

that's deliberately worded sarcasm by the way, in case you have trouble picking that up too
    ___________________________________________________________________________________________
  • Options
    chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    jonsills wrote: »
    There's syrup containing artificial maple flavor in the store, I don't have health care, and the nearest Tim Horton's would require a passport to visit. I don't think we're in Canada...

(On the plus side, I do get to listen to CFMI-FM, a classic-rock station out of Vancouver, on my cable system. They're legally required to play 40% Canadian content, so I get a lot of Rush, and some cuts you rarely hear in the States like Guess Who's "Running Back To Saskatoon".)

you can listen to Capital community radio, another classic station. broadcast from here in Western australia to around the world. I listen on my computer. Just remember the
    Eclectic Sunday show, is exactly that. Saturday jazz is quite good.

<insert your own capital letters, I've still got cleaning to do>
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

• Options
    chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    1. Does this mean we may get something apart from *shudder* lockboxes, vehicles and mini events?
    2. Does this mean PWE has realized how much they screwed up NWO by making such a blatant cash grab during beta and are hedging their bets?
    3. Does this mean Jack(whatever his name is) is so disgusted with Champions that he has moved it well away from the other two games Devs, who may have worked on it before,so they can't help with it?

Jonsills- I saw in one thread- Fortron(spelling?) is used.
    Brou- Go for it

Nepht- I have a halfling and it's all mine bwahahaha.
    That game is so hideous to look at after Champions, all the people are grey. I used the bright pink dye on the peasants garb just so I could see which one was mine.

I have been thru the Qulaar, I mean Dracolich crash.
    The hunt for medkits, I mean heal the wounded.
    Defending the cannon, I mean getting into the tower.
    Beating up Black Talon, I mean the Large whatever it is.

Am now going through Westside, I mean the Tatters.

I keep having this sensation of deja vu when I manage to play but I can't work out why.
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

• Options
    flamingbunnymanflamingbunnyman Posts: 2,035 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    jonsills wrote: »

I'm located in BC, but too far from Vancouver to pick that station up over the air. Fortunately, you can stream them live via their website, or on Android devices (and probably others) via a number of apps. That's how I've been listening to them for years.

http://www.rock101.com/
    edited June 2013
    I am still recovering from the shock of Champions Online being mentioned somewhere.
  • Options
    derangedheroderangedhero Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    sekimen wrote: »
    I am still recovering from the shock of Champions Online being mentioned somewhere.

I know, right?

What is this involuntary muscle contraction that's taken over my face?
    Oh... A smile! ;)
    ---
    [SIGPIC]Or am I?[/SIGPIC]
    This loony is also known as @Derangement.
  • Options
    nextnametakennextnametaken Posts: 2,212 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    psi2 wrote: »

Haha that's so funny, cause I salivated to.
    IDK what to think...passed off yet again? This title needs a consistent team.

No it needs fresh faces with new blood so they don't get burned out and slow down while looking for a way out.

People get burned out just playing this game.
    Can you imagine having to playtest the little change you made forty times a day and then have to get up and do it again five days a week so some chump on the forums can stop spamming about Telepathy and then when you are done you have to do it all again for the next thing the leperous masses want from you?

Imagine that. Live the dream.
  • Options
    hocofaisanhocofaisan Posts: 190 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I just want to say this:

i told you so!

Thank you.
    POSITIVE ABOUT CO IN 2013!
  • Options
    theigmotheigmo Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    People get burned out just playing this game.
    Can you imagine having to playtest the little change you made forty times a day and then have to get up and do it again five days a week so some chump on the forums can stop spamming about Telepathy and then when you are done you have to do it all again for the next thing the leperous masses want from you?

Imagine that. Live the dream.

I worked as a developer for quite a few years (not game development, mind you, application development), and despite doing constant testing and bug-squishing, I VERY rarely felt like you described. Granted, I didn't have a forum full of opining fans, but I did have a phone that rang off the hook, an email inbox full of suggestions and complaints, and a bugtracker with poorly described problems. Still, though, I always saw it as a challenge and enjoyed working on my projects, as they were all my brain babies, and I enjoyed seeing them used and feeling like they were worthwhile.
    hocofaisan wrote: »
    I just want to say this:

i told you so!

Thank you.

I'm certainly glad Champs is slated to get some extra love. I think everyone here is still at least a little wary, but this is definitely a step in a direction that I can get behind :biggrin:
  • Options
    cybersoldier1981cybersoldier1981 Posts: 2,501 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    12 dudes working on CO is better than what it has been: Gentlemancrush, LordGar, and whatever guy they managed to chain to the radiator and feed peanuts.
  • Options
    itsbrou#5396 itsbrou Posts: 1,778 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Let's see what they can do.
    Brou in Cryptic games.
  • Options
    cellarrat33cellarrat33 Posts: 399 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I read the article and it sounded a lot like they've been focusing on polishing Champs for half a year now. What does this say to me? That these guys are the reason we have an event every three or four months with a new lockbox, and costume pieces that they still can't get right, instead of the alternative - true maintenance mode.

Not only that, they're not focused on Champions. They say that they've been working on Champs, Star Trek, and Neverwinter. This piece of a studio is our team, and has been for half a year...
    How long has the new studio been operating? How many people are currently there?

Jack Emmert: We began talks to bring Rusty and his team in and establish Cryptic North before December of 2012.

Russell Williams: Yeah, we went full speed ahead in January of 2013, but we've also been collaborating with each other for years, back when most of Cryptic North was still Flying Lab. We have 12 people in the Seattle Studio, but we have transplants from Cryptic come up here just as we have our Northerners go down there, so the studio size varies pretty dramatically from week-to-week.

I'm with Biff on this one.

They've been collaborating for years and went full speed in January.

Maybe they have actually been focusing on STO and NWO... that's my best hope.

IF CO has been their main focus for the past six months, then I would have to say, the direction is more lockboxes and temp alerts.

CellarRat33 :: formerly Bsquared

"The great thing about glory unending is that it's dirt cheap!" - Tateklys
    From the Adventures of Thundrax (canadascott)
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    I'm located in BC, but too far from Vancouver to pick that station up over the air. Fortunately, you can stream them live via their website, or on Android devices (and probably others) via a number of apps. That's how I've been listening to them for years.

http://www.rock101.com/

I have lived in both BC and Washington State. American radio is better IMO, just due to NPR. When I was growing up (in BC)Spokane radio was the thing to listen to:smile:
  • Options
    wethree1wethree1 Posts: 149 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    GET... OUT!!! :eek:

Holy beejeezuz I did not expect this. I wasn't done playing or whining by a long shot, but I really had at most .0001% of even a spark of hope.

I'm just stunned.

However, if nothing substantial comes from this I won't be surprised, but, I mean, damn, this really looks good. Like for real.

If this actually happens, I'll no longer feel like I'm paying them to work on other games. Hell, I will voluntarily DOUBLE my sub fee if they will get Matt Miller involved at all in any way, no matter how small.

Gods, I'm afraid to get excited, but it looks good. It really looks like something as opposed to all of the copious nothing we've been getting.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Keep in mind that they've supposedly already been here for 6 months. Which is pre- development announcement of : "you are only getting short term events from here on out".

With that and the fact that this news is not on the official site, I don't think we are going to see a turnaround.
  • Options
    logandarklighterlogandarklighter Posts: 334 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I'm not even cautiously optimistic.

Not yet.

Cryptic/PW have jerked their customers around so much the last couple of years I'm unwilling to give them the slightest shred of doubt until I see some actual results first.

Until then, don't get excited.
  • Options
    flamingbunnymanflamingbunnyman Posts: 2,035 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    One thing to keep in mind: these guys may (or may not) have little to no experience with the CO engine. If they're all learning the ropes, mini-missions and alerts, all tied to the event code, is the way to go. That way, if they break something, all they have to do is turn off the event, not roll back the server.

The earlier post suggested that what we've seen so far is going to be the status quo for the rest of the year. Hopefully after that training/learning period, they'll ramp up to full costume sets, Comic series, and so on.
    edited June 2013
    So this team's main focus is CO. (Allegedly)
    But they also work on STO and NWO.
    And they have been operating since December 2012 and went full speed in January 2013.
    But all we got since then are temporary events and lockboxes. (Meanwhile, STO got an entire expansion and NWO started its open-"beta".)

Forgive me for being a Debbie Downer here, but I honestly don't expect anything to change.
    AOyJ2f6.png
  • Options
    vikaernesvikaernes Posts: 137 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Pirates of the Burning Sea has better vehicles than Champions online.

Like, way better.

Gimme my mother****ing pirate ship.
  • Options
    bronxthebeastbronxthebeast Posts: 44 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I'm looking forward to seeing what the Cryptic North team comes up with. I agree with Thundrax; even mentioning Champions Online in the news is a good thing these days. There's been a helluva lot of turmoil since City of Heroes shut down, and Champions Online is essentially the premiere super hero MMO in the field right now (not going to take the time to bring up DCUO), so I'm hoping they'll do just a bit more than they have been lately for the game and its community.

I mean, I understand the economics behind it, but looting a hundred lockboxes a day that I can't open unless I buy keys from the market...kinda not my thing. I'd like to see some response to feedback on mechanics that need fixing, or costume options that need merging (I heard a story about someone whose magic allowed us to have certain costume parts worn together...), and other general stuff suggested by the community. New comic series, that'd be fun.

And a bit more investigation into this 'Foundry' deal. What would be more effective in the long run: creating new missions regularly to satisfy players, or giving players the tool set to create missions and satisfy themselves? Isn't that a thought! But now I'm just starting to day dream, so I guess I'll go back to doing whatever I was before.

Aww, my coffee is cold.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Primus Database: Bronx
    Primus Database: Brogan