test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Doom Thread 2.0

Comments

• kenpojujitsu3kenpojujitsu3 Posts: 1,320 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Hmm, bugs in CO. Bugs in STO. Bugs in NW.
    Guess he was right after all...

picture.php?albumid=110&pictureid=502
    Freeform Builds Directory (Last updated: 04/23/2016)
    Serving since September, 2009 / 65 Characters, 63 Level 40's
  • crypticbuxomcrypticbuxom Posts: 4,582 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Having a rollback in a Beta is quite hilarious and very embarrassing. But Cryptic doesn't care about their image or their customers after they already paid. They only did this rollback because of potential customers in the future.

If they were serious about any of this, they would make anything in Beta not count for Live except for purchases made with cash.
  • scorpagorscorpagor Posts: 607 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    nepht wrote: »
    garageink_drdoombunny.jpg

Never fear silly is here.

I see your Doom Easter Bunny and raise you a Doom Santa.

SantaDoom.jpg
  • nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Having a rollback in a Beta is quite hilarious and very embarrassing. But Cryptic doesn't care about their image or their customers after they already paid. They only did this rollback because of potential customers in the future.

If they were serious about any of this, they would make anything in Beta not count for Live except for purchases made with cash.

Look Neverwinter launch was a bit halfarsed but in their defense least Neverwinter isnt this..

shaqcover.jpg
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
    edited May 2013
    Look Neverwinter launch was a bit halfarsed but in their defense least Neverwinter isnt this..

shaqcover.jpg

Not gonna lie. I played the **** outta that game when it game out. Actually won some prize money and a T-shirt from...I think it was GamePro...for discovering and submitting cheats and moves lists that they didn't know for the game. Thought that was hella cool back then. I was 14, don't judge me.
    edited May 2013
    Not gonna lie. I played the **** outta that game when it game out. Actually won some prize money and a T-shirt from...I think it was GamePro...for discovering and submitting cheats and moves lists that they didn't know for the game. Thought that was hella cool back then. I was 14, don't judge me.

I must tell you. I played that for like 10 hours last night. Hello my name is Nepht and I'm a Shaq'oholic :<
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
  • biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    A 7 hour rollback for a problem thats been happening for a couple of weeks?

That wont fix anything....the person who decided the 7 hour rollback needs their head checking for mental problems.

There were two different issues. The one that caused an influx of astral diamonds via selling dungeon gear was fixed. There was no rollback to the economy, but it didn't seem to impact the exchange rates much.

The second issue started and escalated and ended yesterday. Seven hours was probably just enough time, since I didn't see any broken exchange rates or anyone selling the bejeezus out of cats the night before. The morning after, I log in and think I'm lagging when I can't see the exchange rate for buying zen. Turns out there was zero zen available and the exchange rate had gone back to 500:1. Also, cats were being tossed around like a free commodity.
    biffsig.jpg
    edited May 2013
    No whuts happening over on the Neverwinter forums is The Roslin Institute took dna samples of myself, Snake Wildlife , The_Last, Lucy, Smoochan and Xeno. Blended it together. Injected it into gerbils . Bred the gerbils. Then let the offspring loose on the Neverwinter forums.

Obvious stuff is obvious.
  • honestresearcherhonestresearcher Posts: 657 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    This really is the end. All 3 games on their knee's just like that. Any reputation completely tarnished. Guess i gotta wait for Saints Row 4 now...its the last thing i can find which is Champions Online-like.
    edited May 2013
    This really is the end. All 3 games on their knee's just like that. Any reputation completely tarnished. Guess i gotta wait for Saints Row 4 now...its the last thing i can find which is Champions Online-like.

STO has a healthy population. Neverwinter has a healthy population. CO well the first rule of CO's population is you dont talk about CO's population.

But saying that if CO was to end this year which I doubt, it would still be a success. 4 years isnt bad at all.

Nothing lasts forever. But I will say this I will be hanging around CO till the end :D
    edited May 2013
    Also, cats were being tossed around like a free commodity.

So the price on the Nephts has dropped to reasonable levels?
    Now I finally have a reason to create a NWO account.
  • kojirohellfirekojirohellfire Posts: 2,075 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Even Doom is upset with Cryptic:

tumblr_m9lc1zjSrn1re7yjbo1_500.jpg
  • cybersoldier1981cybersoldier1981 Posts: 2,501 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Keep this coming...
  • flamingbunnymanflamingbunnyman Posts: 2,035 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I must tell you. I played that for like 10 hours last night. Hello my name is Nepht and I'm a Shaq'oholic :<

I couldn't stand that game. But one of my guilty pleasures in the movie world is

shaq-kazaam.jpg
    you...you you.. flaming bunnies.

I had forgotten about that movie..... aaarrghhhhhh
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • beldinbeldin Posts: 1,708 Arc User
    edited May 2013

No .. what is really embarrassing is that there is no total sever-wipe after the so-called Beta, and of course that they take real money in a "Beta".

Or in other word .. the problem is that there has never been an open beta, and the game was simply released directly after closed beta.
    R607qMf.jpg
    edited May 2013
    None of their games have ever left beta.
    edited May 2013
    None of their games have ever left beta.

No MMO at all ever leaves Beta .. thats just normal for these kind of games. However the big difference is to call something beta and already take cash for it. An open beta is normally just to test it with masss of people to find more glitches and bugs as you would find with limited players in a closed beta.

Of course i know that a lot of people wouldn't report the bugs they find, and exploit the hell out of them after release :rolleyes:
    R607qMf.jpg
  • atringatring Posts: 233 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    City of Heroes left Beta. It was December 1st of last year. :biggrin:

(Cuz you guys love it when we bring up CoH!)

Part of the problem since December, 2012.
    edited May 2013
    atring wrote: »

Hehe .. ok so the correct sentence will be : MMOs never really change from beta to a non-beta released state ;)
    R607qMf.jpg
  • nextnametakennextnametaken Posts: 2,212 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    atring wrote: »

jDmndFh.gif
  • x0y1x0y1 Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    9d6afed4981fc314be7badf622bd2a281369118442.png
    Caturday Survivor's Pack
    Everyone will receive a pack that includes a cape, a title, and a couple other items as a sign of our appreciation for players bearing with us through Sunday's downtime

So when does CO have a "Caturday*"? I could use a new cape. :eek:

*Not that I want NWO exploits here but.........
  • fantasycharacterfantasycharacter Posts: 458 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    We got free character slots once.
    edited May 2013
    1468080.jpg
  • kojirohellfirekojirohellfire Posts: 2,075 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I dunno, sometimes broken is just broken.
  • chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    x0y1 wrote: »
    9d6afed4981fc314be7badf622bd2a281369118442.png

So when does CO have a "Caturday*"? I could use a new cape. :eek:

*Not that I want NWO exploits here but.........
    we had caturday, it's called On Alert
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

• kemmicalskemmicals Posts: 853 Arc User
    edited May 2013

shaqcover.jpg

Could be worse. You could be playing this unfinished mess of a game.
    256px-Sonic_the_Hedgehog_Next-Gen_Box_Art.JPG
  • monaahirumonaahiru Posts: 3,073 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    This thread needs some taste of Hatsne Miku...
    61f8e5e5bb7ed6e2e2f3a100fcf00134.jpg
    tumblr_mahril0jQL1rrlk1wo1_500.jpg
    edited May 2013
    monaahiru wrote: »
    This thread needs some taste of Hatsne Miku...
    61f8e5e5bb7ed6e2e2f3a100fcf00134.jpg

Massimo-DAlema.jpg
    edited May 2013
    f41435d3.jpg
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,315 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Did someone say "unfinished mess of a game"?

230px-KOTOR_II.jpg
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
  • jennymachxjennymachx Posts: 3,000 Arc User
    edited May 2013
  • sistersiliconsistersilicon Posts: 1,687 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    jennymachx wrote: »
    220px-Action_52_%28NES%29_box_art.jpg

The top of the box looks like a Jeopardy clue.

What is the cause of the great video game collapse of 1983?
    Choose your enemies carefully, because they will define you / Make them interesting, because in some ways they will mind you
    They're not there in the beginning, but when your story ends / Gonna last with you longer than your friends
  • flamingbunnymanflamingbunnyman Posts: 2,035 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    220px-Action_52_%28NES%29_box_art.jpg

"Suggested Retail $199"

Yes, that was a lot cheaper than buying 52 games, but most of those cartridges were full of pirated games. In many cases the graphics were changed (for the worse) to make it easier to claim that it was the same style of game, not a direct copy. And the count was an outright lie. If a game had multiple modes, each would be counted as a different game; for example, Duck Hunt mode A, Duck Hunt mode B, and Duck Hunt clay shooting were three different games.

I saw one of these a couple years ago in a local pawn shop that had "over 100 games". The shopkeeper had it behind locked glass with a $100 price tag.
    "Suggested Retail $199"

Yes, that was a lot cheaper than buying 52 games, but most of those cartridges were full of pirated games. In many cases the graphics were changed (for the worse) to make it easier to claim that it was the same style of game, not a direct copy. And the count was an outright lie. If a game had multiple modes, each would be counted as a different game; for example, Duck Hunt mode A, Duck Hunt mode B, and Duck Hunt clay shooting were three different games.

I saw one of these a couple years ago in a local pawn shop that had "over 100 games". The shopkeeper had it behind locked glass with a $100 price tag.

"Over 100 games"?

He probably had two of them.
    edited May 2013
    "Suggested Retail $199"

It doesn't surprise me really. When I had just gotten my NES (gosh I feel old already), I also got this unlicensed bootleg cartridge with multiple Nintendo-licensed games in it. Mind you I was 8 at the time and I didn't understand the concept of pirated versus genuine cartridges. It was priced at a little-over $100 and for the amount of licensed games that were in it, it could have been considered a real bargain.

Action 52 had no licensed games whatsoever so there was no real assurance of quality to the games. I think the AVGN has said everything needed to be said about it.
    edited May 2013
    edited May 2013
    Back on topic!

Hatsune_Miku_by_JohnSu.png
    edited May 2013
    jonsills wrote: »
    Did someone say "unfinished mess of a game"?

230px-KOTOR_II.jpg

LOL, pretty much.

But I'll raise your KOTOR 2 with another game...

DukeNukemForever.jpg

Unpolished, unfinished, hilariously broken at points...and I still played it and enjoyed the hell out of it for whatever reason.
    edited May 2013
    LOL, pretty much.

But I'll raise your KOTOR 2 with another game...

DukeNukemForever.jpg

Unpolished, unfinished, hilariously broken at points...and I still played it and enjoyed the hell out of it for whatever reason.

Unfinished mess of a game....and no ones yet mentioned this one?

coboxart.jpg

SERIOUSLY GUYS! You make it to easy :D
    edited May 2013
    This is the correct new Logo now :tongue:

logo.jpg
    R607qMf.jpg
    edited May 2013
    Duke Nukem Forever actually doesnt look all that bad now.
  • kemmicalskemmicals Posts: 853 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Unfinished mess of a game....and no ones yet mentioned this one?

coboxart.jpg

SERIOUSLY GUYS! You make it to easy :D

There's a difference between an unplayable mess and a buggy game. Champions Online is an MMO, bugs are to be expected. Sonic '06 is an unplayable mess with terrible controls, poorly implimented gameplay elements, terrible stage design, mediocre story and laughable voice acting. It is the epitome of a rush job.

Never compare the two.
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,315 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    kemmicals wrote: »
    There's a difference between an unplayable mess and a buggy game. Champions Online is an MMO, bugs are to be expected. Sonic '06 is an unplayable mess with terrible controls, poorly implimented gameplay elements, terrible stage design, mediocre story and laughable voice acting. It is the epitome of a rush job.

Never compare the two.
    And KotOR II has several unfinished storylines, that start wonderfully but never actually get to reach their conclusions because the ending has to be rushed. Imagine if you went through Whiteout, got as far as something breaking into Force Station Steelhead - and then jumped straight to the end boss of the story, without ever getting any of the stuff in between.

KotOR II includes the HK-50 line, assassin droids based on your companion HK-47. At one point, you go into an underground base with some parts sealed off. The original intention was that you would return to that base later, which would have a factory for HK-50s and give you the clues to find the planet that had commissioned the droids. HK-47 would get the chance to have you destroy its lesser copies (it can't do the job itself, as the resemblance is close enough to kick in its self-protection programming). All of that gets dropped right after the part where HK-47 expresses an interest in finding out where the copies are coming from.

Then there's the crime boss Goto, who sends his droid, G0-T0, to accompany you. It's patently obvious that Goto and G0-T0 are the same being, but in the story, everyone seems pretty clueless about it. There was supposed to be a story during which you discover this, and have to do something involving his underworld connections, but the only bit of that remaining is from the final confrontation between G0-T0 and the remote.

Several of your other companions have stories that have a conclusion of sorts, but which are fairly obviously truncated. It's quite disappointing. The game is still fun, and I played through it several times - but it's plain that major parts of the story are missing.

CO may have issues, but none of the stories have such blatantly missing chapters.
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
  • crypticbuxomcrypticbuxom Posts: 4,582 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    And KotOR II has several unfinished storylines, that start wonderfully but never actually get to reach their conclusions because the ending has to be rushed. Imagine if you went through Whiteout, got as far as something breaking into Force Station Steelhead - and then jumped straight to the end boss of the story, without ever getting any of the stuff in between.

Funny, that's the kind of feeling I got exactly for Whiteout. Felt rushed in the end. We still didn't get Whiteout Complete.
    CO may have issues, but none of the stories have such blatantly missing chapters.

What about the giant chunks in between and after the Lemurian Invasion?
  • cybersoldier1981cybersoldier1981 Posts: 2,501 Arc User
    edited May 2013

KotOR II includes the HK-50 line, assassin droids based on your companion HK-47. At one point, you go into an underground base with some parts sealed off. The original intention was that you would return to that base later, which would have a factory for HK-50s and give you the clues to find the planet that had commissioned the droids. HK-47 would get the chance to have you destroy its lesser copies (it can't do the job itself, as the resemblance is close enough to kick in its self-protection programming). All of that gets dropped right after the part where HK-47 expresses an interest in finding out where the copies are coming from.

Then there's the crime boss Goto, who sends his droid, G0-T0, to accompany you. It's patently obvious that Goto and G0-T0 are the same being, but in the story, everyone seems pretty clueless about it. There was supposed to be a story during which you discover this, and have to do something involving his underworld connections, but the only bit of that remaining is from the final confrontation between G0-T0 and the remote.

Several of your other companions have stories that have a conclusion of sorts, but which are fairly obviously truncated. It's quite disappointing. The game is still fun, and I played through it several times - but it's plain that major parts of the story are missing.

I agree. I was disappointed with the incomplete stories in KotOR 2. And I was very stoked for the game. Still, I kinda enjoyed it.

What is more upsetting is that George Lucas, being the baby he is, is making sure a KotOR 3 won't happen. Now, while it's being said that KotOR 2's disappointing sales performance was the key thing- by large and by far the most persistent rumor is that George Lucas didn't like how the duality of the Force was pretty much trampled by KotOR 2, which was actually something that myself and several people I know LOVED about the game.

While this rumor has yet to be confirmed true or false, it matches Lucas' MO. Because, let's face it- George Lucas DID create Star Wars. But if Star Wars is his child, then he's done things to her that a father should never do to a child and he deserves to have it taken away. George Lucas is the worst thing to happen to Star Wars, period. Yes, the Expanded Universe was 90% trash- but Lucas didn't complain as long as there was a cash flow coming in during the years he wasn't pooping prequels are adding bad CGI to the Classic Trilogy.
    edited May 2013
    Well, the Star Wars license is in Disney's hands now anyway so I doubt that Lucas has any say anymore. Lucas was doing nothing but milking the heck out of the Clone Wars brand anyway so why would he be interested in anything Old Republic?

I never played KotoR 2 but I did really enjoy the first KotoR, even though my PC at the time was too crappy to run it smoothly.
  • foxypersonfoxyperson Posts: 251 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Doom! Times three!

doom3.jpg
  • clcmercyclcmercy Posts: 308 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Can't have proper Doom without this:

thulsadoom_zps6bc7394a.jpg

And just so you can listen to the multitude chant his name, here. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bj2JORdzs1g

Occam's Razor makes the cutting clean.