test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Doom Thread 2.0

nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
edited October 2013 in Champions Online Discussion
Its all Doom and gloom in the forums these days. Thought I'd start my own DOOOOOOOOM! thread.

Time for some dumb DOOM pics :P

555310_153084991507593_141306225_n.jpg
nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    1316207786527.jpg
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Hulk144_11a.jpg
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
  • monaahirumonaahiru Posts: 3,073 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    funny-lol-spiderman-Favim.com-251516.jpg
    This is our next Temporary thread right?
  • clcmercyclcmercy Posts: 308 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    nathan-fillion-reaction-gif_zpsba8f5f40.gif

Occam's Razor makes the cutting clean.
  • jennymachxjennymachx Posts: 3,000 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    edited May 2013
    Time for Great race!!!
    SSS-DoomMaster.jpg
  • baroness1980baroness1980 Posts: 268 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    tumblr_m890f2bajZ1qj9e4io1_500.jpg

I command you to...

AvvnIvOCQAACvjH.png:large
  • flamingbunnymanflamingbunnyman Posts: 2,035 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Can I play too?

3898-the-ultimate-doom-dos-screenshot-the-final-battle-with-the-spider.gif
    Can I play too?

doomquote_67.jpg
  • scorpagorscorpagor Posts: 607 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Enough with the doom already! Send in the cuteness squad! :tongue:

SVR__Doctor_Doom_by_PandaFace.jpeg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1310323266412
    edited May 2013
    Meanwhile, Dr.Doom started recruiting his new minions...
    meanwhile-at-the-hall-of-justice-comic-exhibition-04.jpg
  • klittyklitty Posts: 1,545 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Klitty shall sing the doom song now! :D

gir1.png

=^ _ ^= Kitty Lives!
    edited May 2013
    Yukkuri1.png
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSXa8byhMm3U1vF9Ld83oDpUVxnm65f_J325as3_Py4VO7db46a
    hqdefault.jpg
  • sockmunkeysockmunkey Posts: 4,504 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    If you want real Doom. Go over to the Neverwinter forums. They seem to do it better then we do. :biggrin:
  • gamehobogamehobo Posts: 1,970 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    e0699af4_futurama_morbo.jpeg
  • biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    sockmunkey wrote: »
    If you want real Doom. Go over to the Neverwinter forums. They seem to do it better then we do. :biggrin:

Especially today with the utter and complete total destruction of the economy that just happened? Yeah. Lots of people want their money back over there.
    biffsig.jpg
  • scorpagorscorpagor Posts: 607 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Especially today with the utter and complete total destruction of the economy that just happened? Yeah. Lots of people want their money back over there.

What exactly happened? Was it just some people using exploits to generate tons of game money, or something more than that?
    I see multiple people on their forums advocating a complete server wipe to fix it, which seems rather drastic.
  • x0y1x0y1 Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    scorpagor wrote: »
    What exactly happened? Was it just some people using exploits to generate tons of game money, or something more than that?
    I see multiple people on their forums advocating a complete server wipe to fix it, which seems rather drastic.

Yeah but with last exploit, it would not surprise me if the do a rollback.

A bug with the gateway system resulted in negative ah listings. People got millions of astral diamonds this way. Thats the punishment if you run a ah with astral diamonds (you can cash them in for Zen).

So yes forums exploded:
    Hey All,

The Astral Diamond Exchange and the Auction House have been temporarily taken offline to resolve a high priority bug.

At this time we are still investigating the details regarding the issue and will post more information as the situation progresses.

As the issue involves in-game currency, we understand that there may be questions regarding the follow up actions needed to ensure that the economy remains fair and balanced. At this time we are still in the process of collecting the data, but plan to share details regarding follow up actions once the investigation concludes. Thank you for your patience and understanding while we continually smooth out issues during open beta.

Sincerely,

Dezstravus and the Neverwinter Team
  • sockmunkeysockmunkey Posts: 4,504 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    scorpagor wrote: »

Back to back exploits. Last week it was a glitch in an armor set that when combined with the full bonus allowed the player to one shot any mob or boss in the game. The market quickly got flooded with max level gear for dirt cheap.

Today, a money dupe went viral. Now there are countless players with hundreds of millions of Astral Diamonds (Their version of Questionite). Within hours every single Zen was bought off the exchange and the Auction house was pretty much all but cleaned out of anything of value.
  • biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    People bought out ALL of the Zen that was in the exchange. Can you believe that? They literally just made millions of diamonds out of thin air and bought out all the Zen.

Edit: I should read. :P
    biffsig.jpg
  • roughbearmattachroughbearmattach Posts: 4,784 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Normally I resist schadenfreude, but . . .

LOL

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.
  • stergiosmanstergiosman Posts: 717 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Reminds me of the resources exploit we had in CO...dam if only it involved Zen too.

PS the Zen from NWO can be transfered to CO right?
  • rokurocarisrokurocaris Posts: 1,074 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Oh, man. That's just hilarious. I thought the chat ban system would cause a massive uproar, but this is even more epic. Bad for Cryptic World, but still epic. :biggrin:

Well, if they do a complete wipe, I don't think I'll be returning to that game. It was fun while there were new things to explore, but I really don't feel like doing that all over again.

Nope. Zen can't be transfered between games.
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Doubt it - the Zen you get from the exchanges in CO and STO can only be used in the game you got it in, it seems likely to be the same for NW.
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
  • fudgemonstafudgemonsta Posts: 1,591 Arc User
    edited May 2013

Negative. Just like with any game, once its in, its in for life.

EDIT : Oh yeah thanks Jon and Rokuro, double ninja on me.
    @HangingDeath

Deliciously nutritious!
  • crypticbuxomcrypticbuxom Posts: 4,589 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I can't even get into the NW forums. I'm glad I don't play the actual game and just play around with the Foundry.
  • stergiosmanstergiosman Posts: 717 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Ok thanks people for your replies, at least the CO market won't be flooded.
  • honestresearcherhonestresearcher Posts: 657 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Ok thanks people for your replies, at least the CO market won't be flooded.

Too late, it has been for years, by the long lasting aftereffects of the same problem.
  • crypticbuxomcrypticbuxom Posts: 4,589 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Especially considering how prices went from a thousand G for Dark Speed or Therakiel's Sword to several thousand G for any of the useless vehicles, any of the alert boss costume pieces or even any of the mods or Q gear.

Its like trying to fight the billionaire market while still being a wage slave.
  • sistersiliconsistersilicon Posts: 1,687 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Normally I resist schadenfreude, but . . .

LOL

Yeah, it's funny until Neverwinter bombs financially. A Cryptic game will end up on the chopping block, but it sure as $#!^ ain't gonna be property of CBS. I have a hard time seeing how CO survives if a failed NW launch busts Cryptic's budget.
    Choose your enemies carefully, because they will define you / Make them interesting, because in some ways they will mind you
    They're not there in the beginning, but when your story ends / Gonna last with you longer than your friends
  • iamruneiamrune Posts: 965 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'm with Sister Silicon. This won't be good for us.

The only hope we even have at all, is if NWO is a huge sweeping success, and that CO gets a trickle of that revenue returned back to it's development. You know, since CO's development and players helped to get STO and NWO made at all.

If NWO bombs or dies out super early due to this, It won't be good for any of us in any Cryptic Engine game.

This whole debacle makes the "Dr. Newbton" server outtage accident in Early Sept, 2009 look like the truly minor mistake it was.

This is much more like a Disaster.
  • cutter187cutter187 Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Ugh, I should read too.
    Back on topic....

875257-squirrelgirl04.jpg
    edited May 2013
    tumblr_m1edu2I8E31qbkprxo1_r1_500.gif
  • pallihwtfpallihwtf Posts: 677 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    tumblr_l7j6bhNgfJ1qb9k5w

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    @Pallih in game
    edited May 2013
    Regarding the current NWN fiasco...

That's what you get for baiting people into buying the Founder's pack for early beta access and then allowing for such a horrendous exploit to escape through the cracks while pissing off the very people who bought the Founder's pack out of good faith.

It was never in my interest to see NWN fail in any way even though I'm disgruntled toward it getting development priority. It was more of a feeling of indifference. It's quite unfortunate that something like this has happened. Cryptic is in a damned-if-they-do, damned-if they don't position. Whether they perform a roll-back or not, either result is going to suck for them.
  • nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    SSSFinal1.jpg

When normal sharks just wont cut it :P
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    edited May 2013
    038-Dr-Doom-Super-Poopers.jpg
  • chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    x0y1 wrote: »
    Yeah but with last exploit, it would not surprise me if the do a rollback.

A bug with the gateway system resulted in negative ah listings. People got millions of astral diamonds this way. Thats the punishment if you run a ah with astral diamonds (you can cash them in for Zen).

So yes forums exploded:

is that with the AH going into negative time. I had someone on trade complaining about losing an auction after the timer should have run out. The timer was still running 10 minutes after it should have finished.
    He wasn't going to report it, so I sent a forum message to the CM Destrev(whatever his name is) adn told them the timer was stuffed.

and according to this person,
    http://neverwinterfailed.blogspot.com.au/
    bug tickets are being ignored and the ticketing system isn't working
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

• slumpywpgslumpywpg Posts: 129 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    confirmed ~7 hour rollback. Rollbacks/server outtages don't affect me, I played NWO for five days and then immediately went back to playing Neverwinter Nights 2. I just really do not like the new 4.0 ruleset, so I wouldn't be playing regardless of the below, but I still can understand the frustration completely.

Honestly this is exactly why I don't preorder or buy founders packs for games these days. I've seen far too many botched launches and too many developers hiding behind the "beta" tag. "Beta" these days seems to mean they get their cake and eat it too. Free QA testing while earning their bucks while people get funneled into a cash shop for a half complete games only to be frustrated even further by constant server outages and now a rollback. If you're still in beta, you shouldn't be selling anything to anyone precisely based on the fact that the game is still in 'beta' and thus, still in testing. It takes a giant leap of faith to pre-order or purchase a founders pack, this type of thing is not how you instill that level of trust in your customers. i wish I could say that as someone whom has played all of Cryptic's games at some point that this type of debacle is uncommon, but given the state of CO, the handling of NW under PWE, it really does not come as a shock, sadly.
  • rokurocarisrokurocaris Posts: 1,074 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'm glad Cryptic came up with a solution that doesn't displease their entire playerbase.
  • honestresearcherhonestresearcher Posts: 657 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    A 7 hour rollback for a problem thats been happening for a couple of weeks?

That wont fix anything....the person who decided the 7 hour rollback needs their head checking for mental problems.

The only way to fix that problem without pissin off the whole playerbase is simple. Dont wipe characters, dont rollback, just introduce a new currency, and slowly make the current one absolutely worthless.

But what do i know! Its not like i know how to fix all of Cryptics problems... OH WAIT!! I do.
    edited May 2013
    Wait wait wait...

According to the blog link provided by chaelk, this same bug was actually around in STO too?

It was brought over to NWO?

Are you kidding me?

Good grief, the incompetence being displayed here from Cryptic is mind-numbing.
  • fantasycharacterfantasycharacter Posts: 458 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    slumpywpg wrote: »
    confirmed ~7 hour rollback. Rollbacks/server outtages don't affect me, I played NWO for five days and then immediately went back to playing Neverwinter Nights 2. I just really do not like the new 4.0 ruleset, so I wouldn't be playing regardless of the below, but I still can understand the frustration completely.

Honestly this is exactly why I don't preorder or buy founders packs for games these days. I've seen far too many botched launches and too many developers hiding behind the "beta" tag. "Beta" these days seems to mean they get their cake and eat it too. Free QA testing while earning their bucks while people get funneled into a cash shop for a half complete games only to be frustrated even further by constant server outages and now a rollback. If you're still in beta, you shouldn't be selling anything to anyone precisely based on the fact that the game is still in 'beta' and thus, still in testing. It takes a giant leap of faith to pre-order or purchase a founders pack, this type of thing is not how you instill that level of trust in your customers. i wish I could say that as someone whom has played all of Cryptic's games at some point that this type of debacle is uncommon, but given the state of CO, the handling of NW under PWE, it really does not come as a shock, sadly.

It is not the proprietor's responsibility to be up front and genuine about sales. Just look at all the people of questionable ethics who fill the advertising/marketing jobs.

There is an old saying out there coined in ancient Latin "caveat emptor"...let the buyer
    beware.

Apparently there's a lot of people willing to spend money on a beta.:confused: not my style, but hey.
    edited May 2013
    I just noticed this was supposed to be a fun and silly thread.

<Insert silly fun here>:tongue:
  • nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I just noticed this was supposed to be a fun and silly thread.

<Insert silly fun here>:tongue:

garageink_drdoombunny.jpg

Never fear silly is here.
  • kenpojujitsu3kenpojujitsu3 Posts: 1,320 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    sockmunkey wrote: »
    Back to back exploits. Last week it was a glitch in an armor set that when combined with the full bonus allowed the player to one shot any mob or boss in the game. The market quickly got flooded with max level gear for dirt cheap.

Today, a money dupe went viral. Now there are countless players with hundreds of millions of Astral Diamonds (Their version of Questionite). Within hours every single Zen was bought off the exchange and the Auction house was pretty much all but cleaned out of anything of value.

Wow, that's a hella serious bug.
    Freeform Builds Directory (Last updated: 04/23/2016)
    Serving since September, 2009 / 65 Characters, 63 Level 40's
  • zahinderzahinder Posts: 2,382 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    7 hour rollback and a load of bans.

The rollback should help the worst carnage to the overall economy -- it wasn't great before, but the game can recover.

This is a reasonable solution that balances minimal impact on legitimate users, cleaning up the results of the bug, and reasonable amount of time and development -- there are more complex ways that might do more to minimize impact and clean up the results, but that would take more time and then require additional testing.
    Campaign: The Fenwick Cycle NWS-DKR9GB7KH

Wicks and Things: NW-DI4FMZRR4 : The Fenwick merchant family has lost a caravan! Can you help?

Beggar's Hollow: NW-DR6YG4J2L : Someone, or something, has stolen away many of the Fenwicks' children! Can you find out what happened to them?

Into the Fen Wood: NW-DL89DRG7B : Enter the heart of the forest. Can you discover the secret of the Fen Wood?
  • zahinderzahinder Posts: 2,382 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'll add that while I'm generally happy with how Cryptic has handled this disaster, I'm disgusted that it happened in the first place.

That it was a STO bug already, that some folks are reporting this had been a bug since day 1, that apparently it's been reported since closed beta and ignored... Yeah, that's ... well, that's Cryptic for you.
    Campaign: The Fenwick Cycle NWS-DKR9GB7KH

Wicks and Things: NW-DI4FMZRR4 : The Fenwick merchant family has lost a caravan! Can you help?

Beggar's Hollow: NW-DR6YG4J2L : Someone, or something, has stolen away many of the Fenwicks' children! Can you find out what happened to them?

Into the Fen Wood: NW-DL89DRG7B : Enter the heart of the forest. Can you discover the secret of the Fen Wood?
    edited May 2013
    It is a weird 7hr rollback. My levels are intact but my AD is not.

Funny, I decided out of the blue that day to try trading on the market, and made about 10k in no time (I know that is small potatoes). I really didn't know what was going on, I was just making money :tongue: