test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Future of CO after NWO?

pandaman102pandaman102 Posts: 5 Arc User
I've been in a holding pattern over CO for a while now, but the only thing that's keeping me in said pattern is the assumption that we'll see developers and resources returned after NWO launches... but is that a reasonable expectation?

I haven't been able to find anything official that confirms or denies developers were transferred to the NWO project, much less that development in CO will return to the levels we enjoyed prior to On Alert; so this tiny hope that there will be something worth returning to in the future is nothing more than speculation based on speculation.

Am I wrong? If so, could someone please link me to the relevant information? If not, I'm going to find something else more worthwhile to occupy the 9.52GB of space CO is taking up.

Like Queen's Blade Online.

Just kidding, I already tried QBO and it's pretty terrible.
Post edited by pandaman102 on

Comments

• Options
    speekasspeekas Posts: 42 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Queen's Blade Online.

Now it's called Scarlet Blade.
    edited April 2013
    We know the title for the next big update. :)

Champions Online: Not-Even-A-Maintenance-Mode-Now-With-More-Vehicles.

Also known as "Champions Online:NEAMMNWMV"
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    speekas wrote: »
    Now it's called Scarlet Blade.

Well, that's what the North America/Europe release was renamed to, it's still advertised as Queen's Blade Online here in Asia (did a double take when I saw a poster for it at a bus stop... sad that it gets better advertising than CO).
  • Options
    speekasspeekas Posts: 42 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    We know the titl for the next big update. :)

Champions Online: Not-Even-A-Maintenance-Mode-Now-With-More-Vehicles.

My guess would be Lockboxes Online: Vehicles
    edited April 2013
    Well, that's what the North America/Europe release was renamed to, it's still advertised as Queen's Blade Online here in Asia (did a double take when I saw a poster for it at a bus stop... sad that it gets better advertising than CO).

My bad :smile: Sell sex is easier than good heroes MMO. They should call it Bewbs Blade.
    itsbrou#5396 itsbrou Posts: 1,778 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    This is my ideal:

Cryptic has plans, but they are made with Neverwinter and sto advances in the engine in mind. We'll see a kitchen sink in this quarter, then in the final quarter will be a big reveal. These events are a token of activity as Cryptic rushes to please CBS and Hasbro, but in the back of their minds they are making plans with the new systems they have made on these big publishers' dimes.

Again, this is only my ideal. It could be the opposite in truth.
    Brou in Cryptic games.
  • Options
    flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    The future is not set. There is no fate, but what we make for ourselves.
    QuotedForThetruth
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    roughbearmattachroughbearmattach Posts: 4,784 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    My hope is also a kitchen-sink patch sometime in the middle of the year.
    A large set of bug-fixes and improvements would satisfy me as much as new content, to be honest.

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.
  • Options
    pion01pion01 Posts: 758 Arc User
    edited April 2013

I thought that said Champions Online: Enema for a second.

I'm very sleepy...
    This is my ideal:

Cryptic has plans, but they are made with Neverwinter and sto advances in the engine in mind. We'll see a kitchen sink in this quarter, then in the final quarter will be a big reveal. These events are a token of activity as Cryptic rushes to please CBS and Hasbro, but in the back of their minds they are making plans with the new systems they have made on these big publishers' dimes.

Again, this is only my ideal. It could be the opposite in truth.

Hasbro?
  • Options
    roughbearmattachroughbearmattach Posts: 4,784 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Hasbro owns the Dungeons and Dragons IP.

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.
  • Options
    rokurocarisrokurocaris Posts: 1,074 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I don't think there are any documents we could link. The fate of CO is entirely uncertain, as Cryptic barely even talks about it anymore. Maybe it will get better when NWO is released, maybe not. Nobody can tell the chances.

Sidenotes:
    I dispise Scarlet Blade and the rest of the Queen's Blade series. It runs on fetish fanscervice as a gimmick and lacks about anythng else, including good taste.

And sadly, an Asian (specifically a Japanese) superhero MMO would not be a good idea. Toei (ft. Bandai) pretty much owns the genre, and as awesome as their individual series are, as awfully nonsensical are their crossovers.
    On the other hand, who cares if a grindfest has a story at all? :rolleyes:
  • Options
    prootwaddleprootwaddle Posts: 232 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Just thought I'd expand on this ...
    Hasbro owns the Dungeons and Dragons IP.

Essentially Habsro brought Wizards of the Coast, who in turn had brought TSR earlier.

TSR was Tactical Studies Rules, the company that owned D&D which was run into the ground with AD&D2 by the Buck Rodgers estate.

Superhero stories, done well, are about modern archetypes.

A Prootwaddle is one of the weirder player-character races in "The Fantasy Trip", Steve Jackson's first published role-playing game.
  • Options
    zahinderzahinder Posts: 2,382 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I'd love to believe that with the rush of NW done that Cryptic could relax a bit and start putting some effort into CO.

The problem is, there are a lot of reasons to suppose otherwise; there's a lot of further development you can imagine for Neverwinter, for one thing.

At the end of the day, if I was in charge of Cryptic's development? I don't know if _I'd_ bother doing more than putting CO into a maintenance mode. At this point, I'd probably just start over and use the newest engine, taking a lot of assets from CO to make CO2 or something.
    Campaign: The Fenwick Cycle NWS-DKR9GB7KH

Wicks and Things: NW-DI4FMZRR4 : The Fenwick merchant family has lost a caravan! Can you help?

Beggar's Hollow: NW-DR6YG4J2L : Someone, or something, has stolen away many of the Fenwicks' children! Can you find out what happened to them?

Into the Fen Wood: NW-DL89DRG7B : Enter the heart of the forest. Can you discover the secret of the Fen Wood?
  • Options
    kemmicalskemmicals Posts: 853 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    It's incredibly hard to remain optimistic about the future of the game with all of the people doing nothing but crying doom at the sight of anything that remotely resembles a patch.
  • Options
    cellarrat33cellarrat33 Posts: 399 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I wouldn't mind a second Kitchen Sink patch.

Even if it turned out like the first one. At least it would be a change of pace and provide a challenging new environment as we find out that all the powers have been nerfed except for...

Eyebeams of Destruction!

:cool:

I'm incoherent...

I need more caffeine.

CellarRat33 :: formerly Bsquared

"The great thing about glory unending is that it's dirt cheap!" - Tateklys
    From the Adventures of Thundrax (canadascott)
  • Options
    towershield#4714 towershield Posts: 1,208 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I wouldn't mind a second Kitchen Sink patch.

Even if it turned out like the first one. At least it would be a change of pace and provide a challenging new environment as we find out that all the powers have been nerfed except for...

Eyebeams of Destruction!

:cool:

I'm incoherent...

I need more caffeine.

Why would you want that? I read your rationale and found it lacking in the serious.
    ___________________________________________________________________________________________
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Because at least they'd be trying?

Wicks and Things: NW-DI4FMZRR4 : The Fenwick merchant family has lost a caravan! Can you help?

Beggar's Hollow: NW-DR6YG4J2L : Someone, or something, has stolen away many of the Fenwicks' children! Can you find out what happened to them?

Into the Fen Wood: NW-DL89DRG7B : Enter the heart of the forest. Can you discover the secret of the Fen Wood?
  • Options
    towershield#4714 towershield Posts: 1,208 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Introducing the second coming of the first Kitchen Sink and all of the mess that brought with it and saying "at least they're trying" is like saying it was the thought that counted.

That's not trying, that's not trying at all. Especially when you take into account that they've tried to avoid repeating that scenario since then.
    ___________________________________________________________________________________________
  • Options
    ouroborosinouroborosin Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I'm just gonna bide my time till WildStar hits. This game is becoming more trouble than it's worth, even for a LT subscriber.
  • Options
    smoochansmoochan Posts: 2,564 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    The correct title of this thread is: Future of STO after NWO?

Champions Online: Be the hero you wish you could be in a better game.
  • Options
    jedite2012jedite2012 Posts: 334 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Just like any other MMO (excluding CO) they will need constant updates NWO will still need a lot of attention after release. I think CO is done, the will keep CO alive for the little money they make from it for future projects

You think a game with lots of bugs will get fixed, but CO been buggy since launch. That's how much they care about this game.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    somebobsomebob Posts: 980 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Wonder why we haven't gotten any power updates lately? Or Telepathy?

http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?147361-Panther-or-Vicious-Dire-Wolf&p=2134651&viewfull=1#post2134651

Yes, that's GentlemanCrush (our former power guy) posting over on the NW boards.
    Owner and Lead Moderator for the Primus Database. Post your Hero today!
    Razira's Primus Database Page
  • Options
    atompenguinatompenguin Posts: 93 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    somebob wrote: »
    Wonder why we haven't gotten any power updates lately? Or Telepathy?

http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?147361-Panther-or-Vicious-Dire-Wolf&p=2134651&viewfull=1#post2134651

Yes, that's GentlemanCrush (our former power guy) posting over on the NW boards.

We don't need anyone working on powers over here anyway.

Right?
    -Campaign: Spells and Coin
    --Part 1: Spells and Coin (NW-DHM3XQVQK)
    --Part 2: A Blind Eye (NW-DI3QTHZGJ)
    --Part 3: Dodo's Dinner (NW-DHPA8O253)

-One Shots
    --The Wizard of Eldeur (NW-DRKQNE4S7)
  • Options
    x0y1x0y1 Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    And Randy Mosiondz ex Lead Designer CO, then Neverwinter
    Recently, I started to work more with Star Trek Online, now playing and testing update "Legacy of Romulus", and it will be great!
  • Options
    harryhausenharryhausen Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I think the next six months or so will tell us the fate of CO, really. Either we'll see maintenance mode continue, in which case I doubt that will ever change, or Cryptic will reinvest in the game.

The reason I say the next six months is that NWO is now essentially released. I know they're calling it 'Open Beta' but since its a game that's free, with no box cost, and there isn't going to be a character wipe, its essentially launched (albeit under the cloak of Beta so they can excuse any bugs). The STO expansion launches May 21st, and is not only a huge expansion, but a major overhaul of the game from UI on down.

This means that in June and July, one of two things will happen: Either Cryptic will lay off a bunch of people (as is normal after a game launches, since maintenance teams are smaller than development teams), or Cryptic will redirect those extra resources to Champions to do an expansion or overhaul.

I could see it going either way at this point, but with the cost of developing a new game compared to the cost of keeping one going, I think it would be wise for them to give CO a push (which its never really been given). Ala bringing over the Foundry and adding a Hudson City zone for 'Dark Champions', or bringing in playing villains with 'Nemesis Online'. If they do such a push and it fails, however, I don't think anyone would blame them for packing it in afterwards.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Heh it might shut who knows. Then we can all go onto other mmo's forums and ***** about how CO was better :3
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • Options
    angelphoenix12angelphoenix12 Posts: 313 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    i would say there is no hope left for this game, why cryptic isnt doing anything with this game save for lame events and lock boxes. i belive time to save this game is long sence gone. just like the superhero mmos. after city of there was no need to bring this game anywhere close to the full potential of this game could have had. (and yes i am bitter)
  • Options
    crypticbuxomcrypticbuxom Posts: 4,591 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    The Romulus expansion being added to STO was what I was hoping for CO when NWO was ready to launch. Since STO is getting it, I guess I don't need to wait to see if anything is being done with CO anymore.

I still give Cryptic three months after NWO goes officially live to make my final choice. If nothing is added or any big plans and noticeable dev movement is done here then I'm going to stop playing and checking the forums and only log on when something is added to the game. My stipend will cover any future costs.

And that sums up everything I've been thinking about this game since March last year.

UPDATE:
    It seems that Cryptic North saved the day on this one. Cutting it extra close but this has been a good year off and on.
  • Options
    sockmunkeysockmunkey Posts: 4,504 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    We will see an update when the next big project needs new tech tested.

Lets face it. On Alert, from the mod and fusion system and the equipment system, was little more then a test bed for NWO. Their system is simply a polished copy of ours. The good news is its not just us. It seems their crafting system is based on STOs duty officer system.

So, we are unpaid alpha testers for Cryptics new ideas. Ideas that will rarely be finished here so they can be polished elsewhere.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    sockmunkey wrote: »
    We will see an update when the next big project needs new tech tested.

Lets face it. On Alert, from the mod and fusion system and the equipment system, was little more then a test bed for NWO. Their system is simply a polished copy of ours. The good news is its not just us. It seems their crafting system is based on STOs duty officer system.

So, we are unpaid alpha testers for Cryptics new ideas. Ideas that will rarely be finished here so they can be polished elsewhere.

Which is pretty much why they don't even mention CO or consider it one of their games when they talk about Cryptic games.
  • Options
    bioshrikebioshrike Posts: 5,491 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I wouldn't be surprised if Cryptic/PWE has their next MMO that uses the Cryptic engine, already in the works. Once attention is off of NWO, people will likely be shifted to that project, and CO will continue to crawl forward with minimal staffing...
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • Options
    sockmunkeysockmunkey Posts: 4,504 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    bioshrike wrote: »
    I wouldn't be surprised if Cryptic/PWE has their next MMO that uses the Cryptic engine, already in the works. Once attention is off of NWO, people will likely be shifted to that project, and CO will continue to crawl forward with minimal staffing...

I don't have a problem with Cryptic using its engine and systems on other projects. It's good sense and planning to use proven and consistent tech as often as possible on its various platforms.

It is when new systems are ramrodded our way. Under the cover of "improvements for the future" only to find out months later those same systems in the new pet project. And our own future is yet to be realized.
  • Options
    yogid0nnieyogid0nnie Posts: 132 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I've been in a holding pattern over CO for a while now, but the only thing that's keeping me in said pattern is the assumption that we'll see developers and resources returned after NWO launches... but is that a reasonable expectation?
    [/COLOR]

I would not count on them revisiting CO for anything other than testing new tech for the next game. Cryptic already has a secret project, which looks like a 30'a pulp fiction game. That is where all the resources after NWO's launch will go. They have been tweeting and hinting at it before PW bought them. They use to have concept art for the "secret" game on the Cryptic Studios Website, but my google-fu is weak and I am unable to locate it. However it looked kind of Iniana Jonesish.

http://www.crypticstudios.com/in_development

Was the only pic I could find:

http://www.examiner.com/images/blog/EXID47605/images/Slide_Show_Image.jpg
  • Options
    hocofaisanhocofaisan Posts: 190 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I think it's hilarious that your posts are very similar to those of people you used to hate in the past.

Do you blame cryptic for ignoring such a negative player base?
    POSITIVE ABOUT CO IN 2013!
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    I blame Cryptic for creating it.

• Options
    edited April 2013
    zahinder wrote: »

This is win.
  • Options
    angelphoenix12angelphoenix12 Posts: 313 Arc User
    edited April 2013

how is scarlet blade?
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    hocofaisan wrote: »
    I think it's hilarious that your posts are very similar to those of people you used to hate in the past.

The player base is negative and unhappy because the game hasn't been given the attention that is so badly needs... going all the way back to the games shaky launch.

*If* the devs had given the game the attention it needed, listened to feedback from those on the PTS, given frequent and reliable updates about where the game was going, and stayed on top of things like bugs and QoL issues, perhaps the players wouldn't be so negative.

I do not think people came into the game with a negative outlook - it's only after facing the stagnation and unfulfilled potential of CO that people become sour.
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    And its not about reaching a potential either. Its about continuing to produce within the game what makes sales.

Costumes, character customization and adventure packs.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    And its not about reaching a potential either. Its about continuing to produce within the game what makes sales.

All things that we haven't gotten in some time...
  • Options
    xcaligaxxcaligax Posts: 1,096 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! NOT ANOTHER ONE OF THESE THREADS!!!!

kill_it_with_fire-s670x394-93334.jpg
  • Options
    themightyzeniththemightyzenith Posts: 4,599 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    zahinder wrote: »

Exactly!!!!!
    zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    hocofaisan wrote: »

I'm a bit confused, are you directing this to me or to someone else in this thread? If it's me, I only recall mentioning I don't like starting "goodbye" threads (no memory of saying or implying I hated anyone, so please don't put words in my mouth), which this clearly isn't. I'm not expressing an opinion about the game or Cryptic, nor am I speculating on what the game will be like in the future, I simply asking for some facts so I don't act blindly.

If not, please remember to quote next time.

Regarding your question: yes. To my memory Cryptic ignoring the player base was an issue long before accusations of the player base becoming "negative". Any negativity is the product of neglect, not a justification of neglect, and the solution is to address the cause, not the effect. There is no such thing as a solution that only addresses the effects but not the cause.
    how is scarlet blade?

Haha, if you highlight my first post you'll see the black text I put at the end, but to answer your question, it's terrible. It's very much a game built around nudity: the NPC's lines are cheesy, the animation is stiff (except the breast bounce), combat is unoriginal, battle cries sound like cheap porn flicks, and the quests are as close to literally being railroaded as possible (when you get a quest with an objective, you can click on the objective name and the character will run down a preset track to reach the objective, no need to worry about obstacles or getting lost).

The game's design is clearly made so you can play with one hand and I'm not even being cynical when I say this. It's a one-trick pony of a game.

And that trick is "bend over".

Anyway, thanks for the replies, folks. It's been illuminating and, again, I wish you all the best and good luck with things to come.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    xcaligax wrote: »
    NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! NOT ANOTHER ONE OF THESE THREADS!!!!

kill_it_with_fire-s670x394-93334.jpg

No, no, not another one of "those" threads. I said five months ago I would be taking a break, only to come back for costumes, but I found myself uninterested in the last two events with costumes, haven't been following the forums, and just wanted to check if my last lifeline was actually a lifeline and not actually a parachute cord with no parachute attached.
  • Options
    chalupaoffurychalupaoffury Posts: 2,553 Arc User
    edited April 2013

You seen how many people are selling keys in zone nowadays?

I'd hazard a guess that the lock box system is flat out dwarfing what costumes sold. Just, you know, devil's advocate. I'd prefer costumes and APs, as well.
    In game, I am @EvilTaco. Happily killing purple gang members since May 2008.
    dbnzfo.png
    RIP Caine
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    The reason why keys do so well (not lockboxes) is because not only are they super cheap in comparison to everything else in the store, but is essentially tradable income.

If costume sets or even hideouts were BoE, those would be just as effective in the market.
  • Options
    chalupaoffurychalupaoffury Posts: 2,553 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    The reason why keys do so well (not lockboxes) is because not only are they super cheap in comparison to everything else in the store, but is essentially tradable income.

If costume sets or even hideouts were BoE, those would be just as effective in the market.

I was originally gonna argue something about the falling price of the vibora costume unlocks, and how they used to be a viable form of stable income for silvers to use in trade (I used to own stock in buttcapes), then I realized that you'd mentioned tradeable costume sets.

I'm now too busy throwing my money at the screen.
    In game, I am @EvilTaco. Happily killing purple gang members since May 2008.
    dbnzfo.png
    RIP Caine
  • Options
    kemmicalskemmicals Posts: 853 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I'm now too busy throwing my money at the screen.

I am too and it's bouncing more than a bad check made of rubber!
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Now imagine if all unlocks in the store was BoE. Costumes, powers, services and hideouts. Does it matter if completely free to play players can get anything in the store as long as someone is footing the bill?
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Now imagine if all unlocks in the store was BoE. Costumes, powers, services and hideouts. Does it matter if completely free to play players can get anything in the store as long as someone is footing the bill?
    Actually, that might well increase sales - as those who can easily afford the Zen purchase one costume set for personal use, then another of the same set to trade for something they're having trouble getting in game...
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"