test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Aura Slots! The Next Fail to Follow Vehicles?

crypticbuxomcrypticbuxom Posts: 4,593 Arc User
Dear Champions Dev team,

You do realize that if you follow through with Auras as items that need to be slotted rather than being tailor unlocks, you will be working backwards from the pure intent of the original character creation plan. It is essential that you make a new tab to the tailor just for auras to be added on to sections of the body on top of the regular outfit.

Make the unlocks come from lockboxes if you have to follow the business model. But would be even better is to not only make the more awesome single aura effects exclusive to lockboxes, but release full body sets to be purchased in the Zen Store. Make these unlocks all account wide and not limited to items that must be farmed multiple times for each character.

The Aura Slots you already implemented can be used for the Power Replacer Effects exclusively. We'll happily pay for those per character. But please, not cosmetic auras that work like costume pieces.

Auras could be purchased in these methods:
1.Unique aura effects from lockboxes (ex: vibrations or energy cape)

2.Elemental aura sets in the Zen Store that cover the whole body and/or parts of the body piece by piece.

Insist to your bosses and to PWE that it is essential to follow the business model that makes the most money and keeps the customers happy. The one that lets us customize our characters to be the hero we want them to be. The one where we don't have to worry about that $50 sink every time we want to add a single effect to just one of our characters.

This is not simply a suggestion, but something that I feel we all need to discuss and insist since its inevitable that they are coming very soon. That making auras work like the current vehicle and mod grind is not the way to go when it comes to costume pieces. They are flashy, but they should be just that. Costume pieces.

We need to discuss this and keep this topic alive so that we can get at least this new coming function to work in a way that benefits the players as much as Cryptic itself.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    hocofaisanhocofaisan Posts: 190 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Its pretty clear auras are items, and they will be tied deeply into lockboxes.

There is little to discuss on thqt pont.
    POSITIVE ABOUT CO IN 2013!
  • Options
    keikomystkeikomyst Posts: 626 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    And you're not gonna try to fight that? I sure as hell don't want auras in lockboxes at an absurdly low drop rate.

DO THIS, PLEASE. :|
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Not all auras have to be items tied to lockboxes. Just the more unique visual ones. I'm just saying that they could expand it to beyond just lockbox drops but entire sets in the store or even some to be dropped in game and in events.

Its not as simple as saying "they will be deeply tied to lockboxes". The conversation won't end just like that. I'm fairly confident that there are plenty members on at least the forums that disagree that there is little to discuss. There is plenty to discuss.

Especially since things aren't finalized until they go onto the PTS. All we saw are the slots from a year ago and maybe we can persuade them to broaden the feature beyond just mere item slots.

It can involve lockboxes. I just don't want to get the same unlock 20 times. Maybe other people want to share their thoughts.
  • Options
    towershield#4714 towershield Posts: 1,208 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I'd throw down some Zen on some generic aura sets.
    I'd be able to live with some super unique auras being lockbox drops.
    I'd be fine with some aura pieces being placed on the recognition vendors that have been standing around collecting dust for so long.
    I'd even be cool with some of them being Q-Store purchases.
    I'd be ecstatic if some of them were rare drops, be they faction-based or tied to specific villains.

I would NOT like for the entire system to be tied to lockboxes.
    I would NOT like for these to not be tailor options. Auras are too big a deal to not have a place in the character creation process.
    I would NOT like travel powers to cancel aura effects. Dark Aura seems to work well with most travel powers already and as such all auras should work like that.
    ___________________________________________________________________________________________
  • Options
    baroness1980baroness1980 Posts: 268 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I'd be fine with some aura pieces being placed on the recognition vendors that have been standing around collecting dust for so long.
    I'd be ecstatic if some of them were rare drops, be they faction-based or tied to specific villains.

I would NOT like for these to not be tailor options. Auras are too big a deal to not have a place in the character creation process.
    I would NOT like travel powers to cancel aura effects. Dark Aura seems to work well with most travel powers already and as such all auras should work like that.

This...

THIS AND A MILLION TIMES THIS.
  • Options
    kojirohellfirekojirohellfire Posts: 2,075 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Yeah, I'll sign to this. I'm kind of tired of coming to think of this game as "Lockbox Online."
  • Options
    gamehobogamehobo Posts: 1,970 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Champions Online fails at execution
  • Options
    edited April 2013

This is pretty much exactly what I want. Although I don't mind Dark Aura being turned into an additional full body aura option in the tailor. Those tailor options being head, eyes, shoulders, neck, upper and lower and left and right arm, upper and lower and left and right leg, hands, feet, belt, back, chest, AND full body.
    gamehobo wrote: »

That's why we need to be more verbal and force communication in the design process of new features. Execution always fails if you leave one or two people to design a whole feature by themselves without player input. That's what happened to vehicles.
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    edited April 2013

I'm just quoting this because Shield already said everything I possibly could on the topic.
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    sparhawksparhawk Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013

Quoted for emphasis and agreement.
  • Options
    gandalesgandales Posts: 340 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Until selling auras at the Zstore or the Qstore at a "reasonable price" prove being more profitable than lockboxes, I don't think Cryptic will stop using lockboxes.

While Auras could be a good addition, what this game is lacking is content. I guess if Cryptic can store content into lockboxes we will start getting it.
  • Options
    kemmicalskemmicals Posts: 853 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I really don't see them dropping the lockbox thing any time soon. It's already been proven that it makes money and people are more than willing to buy keys, so it's likely that this is going to be the way things go for a while, as sad as that may be.
  • Options
    ashensnowashensnow Posts: 2,048 Arc User
    edited April 2013

Well said.

/agreed (except the tailor aspect. I don't mind the idea of auras as devices).

'Caine, miss you bud. Fly high.
  • Options
    scorpagorscorpagor Posts: 607 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Quiz time!

People wanted alerts. We got alerts. Now everyone hates alerts.

People wanted vehicles. We got vehicles. Now everyone hates vehicles.

People want auras. We will get auras. Then everyone will .... .....

Can you fill in the dots?
  • Options
    flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Answer time!

People didn't want alerts. We got alerts. Not everyone hates alerts.

People wanted vehicles. We got vehicles we didn't ask. Not everyone hates vehicles.

People want auras. We may get auras. Then everyone will love auras if the auras are in character creator and have multiple options including head, hair, eyes, hands, arms, upper torso, legs, feet, full body. Not stuffed inside lock boxes. Or cost 100 000Q a piece.
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
  • Options
    chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    amendment to finn's answer-

we asked for vehicles as TP's NOT as becomes that you have to open lockboxes to get weapons for.
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

• Options
    baroness1980baroness1980 Posts: 268 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    It is very simple... make a few common auras for the tailor and then put exclusive ones on the recog vendors, ultra rare ones on the Q market and finally the uber rare ones inside lockboxes...

Then everyone will be happy.

Have to mention that older game again... you know... Auras were free... unlocked at lvl 30 by doing a mission OR once it became free to play you could buy the option of auto unlock them for every character for 200 - 300 of their points... and after that... you could by NEW auras from the market... and it WORKED for them.
  • Options
    yogid0nnieyogid0nnie Posts: 132 Arc User
    edited April 2013

/signed to the above... trailturtle please be OUR voice in this.
  • Options
    c3rvand0c3rvand0 Posts: 403 Arc User
    edited April 2013

I agree with all of this except the tailor option. I could live with that.
    _______________________________________________________________________[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    roughbearmattachroughbearmattach Posts: 4,784 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Auras as part of the character editor would be amazing, even if individual aura choices are found in lockboxes.

My bet: auras are rare drops in lockboxes, take device slots, and the rarest ones will offer some additional benefit (boost to offense, defense, or speed).

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.
  • Options
    cellarrat33cellarrat33 Posts: 399 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    gandales wrote: »
    Until selling auras at the Zstore or the Qstore at a "reasonable price" prove being more profitable than lockboxes, I don't think Cryptic will stop using lockboxes.

While Auras could be a good addition, what this game is lacking is content. I guess if Cryptic can store content into lockboxes we will start getting it.
    kemmicals wrote: »
    I really don't see them dropping the lockbox thing any time soon. It's already been proven that it makes money and people are more than willing to buy keys, so it's likely that this is going to be the way things go for a while, as sad as that may be.

Lockboxes are our future.
    gamehobo wrote: »

I dunno...

CO seems to have killed off a lot of stuff.

:rolleyes:

CellarRat33 :: formerly Bsquared

"The great thing about glory unending is that it's dirt cheap!" - Tateklys
    From the Adventures of Thundrax (canadascott)
  • Options
    meedacthunistmeedacthunist Posts: 2,961 Arc User1
    edited April 2013
    I smell another cheap trick lockbox scam along with atotal lack of respect for the playerbase.

Auras will be in lockboxes, it is as sure as Cryptic inability to making CO a better game.
  • Options
    zahinderzahinder Posts: 2,382 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Yeah, Alerts are fine, it's the balance of their rewards vs. regular content, and the lack of new regular content that focus the complaint.

If Alerts and Missions were roughly on par, reward vs. time-wise, and Cryptic was aggressively pushing out new missions and zones, I think gripes would fall to the geek universal background complaining level.

Vehicles, as finn and others commented. Nobody wanted or expected some fiddly new subsystem, nor all the collection attached to it. Or even the lack of customization (heck, many travel powers have BETTER customization than vehicles).
    Campaign: The Fenwick Cycle NWS-DKR9GB7KH

Wicks and Things: NW-DI4FMZRR4 : The Fenwick merchant family has lost a caravan! Can you help?

Beggar's Hollow: NW-DR6YG4J2L : Someone, or something, has stolen away many of the Fenwicks' children! Can you find out what happened to them?

Into the Fen Wood: NW-DL89DRG7B : Enter the heart of the forest. Can you discover the secret of the Fen Wood?
  • Options
    superalfgornsuperalfgorn Posts: 558 Arc User
    edited April 2013

Agreed, well said! In particular use the recognition vendors for something new!

I really think that to have them in the Tailor is a must. But I am also afraid that it would prove too difficult for the programmers. I am willing to be proved wrong :smile:

• Options
    jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    chaelk wrote: »
    amendment to finn's answer-

we asked for vehicles as TP's NOT as becomes that you have to open lockboxes to get weapons for.
    Far as I'm concerned, my vehicles ARE TPs. Blackwing uses the Hawkwing to get about large maps when she doesn't want to bother with Acrobatics (well, she did have to use the weapons once to clear a hot LZ), and another toon will probably use the Lemurian Tank in similar fashion.

I've never gotten one from a lockbox, either - got the Hawkwing from someone who'd gotten an extra at one point, and the Lemurian Tank was a drop from the Lemurian event.
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
  • Options
    sundevil3sundevil3 Posts: 48 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I apologize for my ignorance, but what are "aura slots"?
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    sundevil3 wrote: »
    I apologize for my ignorance, but what are "aura slots"?

"Aura slots" are one hypothetical version of implementing auras (vfx around a toon) in the game.

Currently, auras are granted by some powers (like Aura of Primal Majesty) and one is granted by a device (Dark Aura), which is activated by placing the device in a device slot, and activating it with a click.

Auras could be implemented into the game by adding another slot for characters--in addition to gear slots, bag slots, and device slots, a "device slot" could be added. This would work fine for simple, full-body auras like dark aura.

Most folks would rather see auras added to the costume editor, rather than being a "slot". In this scheme, the costume editor would add an Auras tab to the existing one, allowing a player to add and edit auras on different parts of a character's body, such as only having a flaming aura about the left arm and hand.

I think that the costume editor version of auras is simply a dream. That sort of implementation would require a lot of dev time/resources, and likely create all manner of glitches/bugs/whatnot.

The aura slot version had been in testing on the PTS, and would be easier to implement, though there would be a lack of customization.

The easiest way to implement auras would be to create more devices like dark aura. My money is with this one.

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Adding a layer for just auras to attach to exclusively could definitely work in the tailor. Clipping wouldn't even be an issue since auras go through textures and objects esthetically. Consider Hi Pan's energy orbs in his Custom Alert.

If auras are tied to mods then we'll get maybe a couple weeks of use out of them and a day or two for each new shiny aura that comes out.

If auras are tied to the tailor then we'll get months of use out of the auras which will keep players online longer.
  • Options
    somebobsomebob Posts: 980 Arc User
    edited April 2013

Quoted for complete, utter, and total truth.
    Owner and Lead Moderator for the Primus Database. Post your Hero today!
    Razira's Primus Database Page
  • Options
    cybersoldier1981cybersoldier1981 Posts: 2,501 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Where's this topic coming from, first of all?

Second of all, I would REALLY like to point out what I'm afraid of with 'functional' auras...

The one that statistically functions with your character won't function thematically. I don't want my cyborg munitions DPS toon to have to be surrounded by hellfire and skull runes or some kanji crap. I want one that FITS.

Otherwise the clown builds will have clown appearances to match.
  • Options
    beldinbeldin Posts: 1,708 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I expect all auras in lockboxes, and then they realize that some passives also have auras, so they remove all these passives from the standard game and also put them into lockboxes. Or maybe you can buy them like other removed stuff for an ungodly amount of drifter salvage.

And god beware they give something free for people who pay monthly or have lifetime abo.
    R607qMf.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    beldin wrote: »
    I expect all auras in lockboxes, and then they realize that some passives also have auras, so they remove all these passives from the standard game and also put them into lockboxes. Or maybe you can buy them like other removed stuff for an ungodly amount of drifter salvage.

And god beware they give something free for people who pay monthly or have lifetime abo.

I could definitely see that passives with auras might have those auras taken away, or that one must choose between whether to use the passive aura or the "device aura".

What happens right now when a toon with AoPM or AoRP uses dark aura?

• Options
    edited April 2013
    Where's this topic coming from, first of all?

Second of all, I would REALLY like to point out what I'm afraid of with 'functional' auras...

It was in the latest Ask Cryptic.

These will be cosmetic auras.
  • Options
    nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Thank all thats holy I already have my dark aura :I
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • Options
    chalupaoffurychalupaoffury Posts: 2,553 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    "Aura slots" are one hypothetical version of implementing auras (vfx around a toon) in the game.

By "hypothetical", you mean "were enabled on the pts for a while, and then disappeared suddenly.

If they use the same implementation they were planning, and I can't see why they wouldn't, you guys wanting a tailor option are gonna be pretty ticked off. Me? I like my dark aura as is, I don't really mind either way. But it won't be a tailor option, I'm positive. Why? Then you got no reason to grind for more of em, unless it's a per character unlock. I can't see as if they'll do that, because every time they do everyone gets in an uproar.

Nobody really complained about dark aura being a device that bound. At least, not seriously. 's pretty obvious, I think, which route they're gonna take.

Bummer, because they'd be awesome in the tailor.
    In game, I am @EvilTaco. Happily killing purple gang members since May 2008.
    dbnzfo.png
    RIP Caine
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Nobody really complained about dark aura being a device that bound. At least, not seriously.

No one complained because all you had to do was participate to get a chance at it. They were so easy to come by with a fairly high chance of being dropped.

Dark Aura is a good way to go about doing full body auras in a device slot. But there should be more options so auras are fully integrated into the character's costume creation.

Judging from how vehicles are done, the best ones are in lockboxes but generic ones can be purchased in the Zen Store. Making unique auras available in lockboxes and dropped from signature villains, and generic piece by piece sets in the store is the best way to go. Encourage both key sales and store sales.

The biggest issue is making auras an unlock that happens account wide.
  • Options
    bluhmanbluhman Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    From what I've seen, it's actually pretty easy to add extra tabs/features to the game's UI, if you know anything about XML.

That said, optimal solution is if they were treated as costume unlocks; account-wide, instantly applicable to a costume from the tailor, and (bonus if they're actually treated like costume sales) will be easy and fairly painless to obtain.
    How to block a user with μblock:
    forum.arcgames.com##.Comment:has(.CommentHeader:has-text(username))

• Options
    bwdaresbwdares Posts: 1,517 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I agree with the OP, I think Auras need to be costume pieces. Similar to CoH, they need to be as customizable as the rest of our characters.
    #Mechanon!(completed) #New Zones! #Foundry!
  • Options
    gerberatetragerberatetra Posts: 821 Arc User
    edited April 2013

For all the good it will do to add the red robot's endorsement ^_-

Here we are now going to the West Side
    Weapons in hand as we go for a ride
    Some may come and some may stay
    Watching out for a sunny day
    Where there's love and darkness and my sidearm

In game as @forgemccain
  • Options
    bwdaresbwdares Posts: 1,517 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I look back to see how things have been implemented and I am now assured that Auras will in brought in very poorly. People will be unhappy. They will be devices so you might as well ready yourself.
    #Mechanon!(completed) #New Zones! #Foundry!
  • Options
    cryptickalidorcryptickalidor Posts: 76 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I think it would be absurd for auras not to be costume parts. There's enough snake oil shenanigans with the lock box stuff as it is.. don't put costume parts that should be available at character creation in that junk.
  • Options
    wethree1wethree1 Posts: 149 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    There are already good models for how do do this. I don't think I've met anyone who likes lockboxes.

I swear, I used to think that neglect was this game's problem. But since being here I've learned that the only thing worse than neglect is willfull, bullheadedly horrible development.

We know enough about what people want in a Superhero MMO by now, just give it to us and we'll throw money at you.

Sheesh!
  • Options
    lawblacklawblack Posts: 79 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Don't forget auras around weapons, in particular melee weapons (heavy and not heavy).

Like some Power Replaces, old and now-obsolete gear did, once upon a time...
    I play with freeforms AND archetypes.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    lawblack wrote: »
    Don't forget auras around weapons, in particular melee weapons (heavy and not heavy).

Like some Power Replaces, old and now-obsolete gear did, once upon a time...

Yes. Power Replacers changed to work in the aura slots is just fine. I mentioned it in the first post. Its just auras as costume pieces is what we want.
  • Options
    flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    They could make 6 piece 'Aura Gear'!
    3 pieces gives the aura and 6 pieces give a damage boost. That only work if you have said powers.
    Like Fire Aura works for Fire powers and so on.
    This would be epic. Truly epic.

Because they did try this with Power Replacers and it bombed....
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    That's an awesome idea for the questionite items for auras! Maybe damage boost, damage resistance or both. Maybe sets beyond just specific damage boosts but ones that apply fear chance to all attacks or some other minor effect.
  • Options
    gamehobogamehobo Posts: 1,970 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    The visual FX "team" and the Powers/Combat Mechanics "team" are supposedly two different teams at Cryptic.

The amount of collaboration required for the Auras to affect Mechanics takes time from both powers and FX.. and we all know what happens to things designed by committee
    dumbgroups2.jpg

People want visual Aura Choices.

People SEPERATELY want Power Replacers.

Please don't try to combine these ideas like they did Vehicles and Combat. It's just not worth it.
    brown-bactrian-camel.jpg
    This Was Once a Horse
  • Options
    theravenforcetheravenforce Posts: 7,065 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Auras when they do come, I hope will be awesome, I just have to remember that obviously we wont have any psi/mentalist related auras :rolleyes:
  • Options
    agentnx5agentnx5 Posts: 1,999 Arc User
    edited April 2013

This.

Also I want an AoPM with the option like how AoRP has it, where you can opt to NOT have the rune-spam effects and just more of a non-flashy glow.

Or a black AoPM.
  • Options
    rokurocarisrokurocaris Posts: 1,074 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    ashensnow wrote: »
    /agreed (except the tailor aspect. I don't mind the idea of auras as devices).

I would, and I am glad that they are at least making new slots for auras.
    We have only 5 device slots, and I would hate to have auras compete with vehicles, attack devices and consumables.