test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

New superhero game in the making - A serious rival/threat to CO?

rokurocarisrokurocaris Posts: 1,074 Arc User
No, I'm not talking about Marvel Online. CO will not have to compete only with it and DCUO for much longer.
Here comes a new challenger:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyvEkHoMb3M

It's not a traditional MMO, but an action game, sort of like DCUO.
It has a much darker atmosphere than CO; being set in a modern world where superpowers have only just begun to appear - and are causing a lot of chaos and unrest. The player can be a hero or a villain, depending on his actions.

Your thoughts on this?

P.S.
I'm not advertising for the competition. I'm showing what CO is up against in the not so far future.
Post edited by rokurocaris on

Comments

• smoochansmoochan Posts: 2,564 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Will it have an extensively stocked costume editor?

Will it have a freeform powers system?

Subtract 50% from my care rating for each no above.

Champions Online: Be the hero you wish you could be in a better game.
  • quasimojo1quasimojo1 Posts: 642 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    This is the fan/hobbyist one that recently had a failed Kickstarter?
    LTS since 2009. Author of ACT parser module for CO. Founder of Rampagers. Resident curmudgeon.

"Without data, you're just another person with an opinion." -- W. Edwards Deming
  • biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Watched entire superhero game video.

Saw barely any superheroes.

I'll take a pass.

Looks like Secret World without bees flying into your mouth.

The reason I like Champs is because it feels like comic books. Mostly not today's comic books, which I dislike. Project Awakening does not look or feel anything like any comic books I've read or like.

This game will be no more of a threat to Champs than Secret World was. Sure some people will leave and go play it, but it's not going to entice anyone that plays Champs for the comic book feel. Super powers + Hero doesn't always equal "comic book superhero."

Nope, the only threat to Champs right now and in the near future is itself, sadly.
    biffsig.jpg
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,318 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Your thoughts on this?
    It's a pitch for a product that isn't even really in production yet. They're looking for backers (as you can tell at the end, when they ask for the support of the person or persons to whom the video was actually sent).

Further, from what I can see, it's nothing to do with superheroes - merely the fights between groups of superpowered gangsters, basically. (One of the big hints is that in the example gameplay shown, when they aren't slaughtering each other at close range in a subway station, the characters are shown attacking the police.) And I see no hints of a story mode, just PvP. Which is nice if PvP is what you're after, but it's hardly a CO-killer, any more than Diablo spelled the end of WoW.

I note further that in their enthusiastic depiction of their character creator, these gentlemen seem unfamiliar with Cryptic's work in that regard. Not terribly surprising, as they describe themselves as having been wrapped up in their labor of love for at least the past six years...

On a completely side note, it is nice that the initial cinematic was accompanied by the note that these are not finished graphics, else their draw distance would have me wondering why superpowers seem to render everyone nearsighted. Seriously, they can't focus on anything more than ten feet away? :smile:

All in all, it looks intriguing, but it's not competing for the same audience as CO. More of a supplemental thing, really.

(One more completely side note - can we quote this game's lead designer the next time someone complains that CO seems "unfinished"? According to him, the "extended live beta" nature of many online games is a good thing, and something he's striving for.)
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • kojirohellfirekojirohellfire Posts: 2,075 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Yeah, I'll consider this if actually manages to get off the ground. For the moment, it still sounds as though it's stuck in developmental limbo.
    edited April 2013
    smoochan wrote: »
    Will it have an extensively stocked costume editor?

Will it have a freeform powers system?

Subtract 50% from my care rating for each no above.

At a glance it looks like it has yes on both.
    quasimojo1 wrote: »

Yes. But it looks like they're now taking contributions on their site with Founders packages.
    biffsig.jpg
  • atringatring Posts: 233 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Watched entire superhero game video.

The reason I like Champs is because it feels like comic books. Mostly not today's comic books, which I dislike. Project Awakening does not look or feel anything like any comic books I've read or like.

You must not be old enough to remember Marvel's "New Universe." I think it only lasted for a few years, less than a decade. It was along this line, where the "supers" were new, just discovering their powers and other individuals like themselves.

Part of the problem since December, 2012.
    edited April 2013
    jonsills wrote: »
    the characters are shown attacking the police.

Hey that's pretty heroic... depending on what part of LA you're from. :P
    I note further that in their enthusiastic depiction of their character creator, these gentlemen seem unfamiliar with Cryptic's work in that regard. Not terribly surprising, as they describe themselves as having been wrapped up in their labor of love for at least the past six years...

I can't help but shake the feeling that if you jumped in that game as your favorite tights-wearing superheroes, the majority of the playerbase would have the reaction of "Dude, seriously? You're gonna walk around wearing that?" I don't think a game that isn't specifically targeted at comic book enthusiasts is really gonna bring the right crowd for that.
    biffsig.jpg
    edited April 2013
    atring wrote: »
    You must not be old enough to remember Marvel's "New Universe." I think it only lasted for a few years, less than a decade. It was along this line, where the "supers" were new, just discovering their powers and other individuals like themselves.

Keep in mind that I said "comic books that I've read and liked."

I know that some comic books have taken a turn towards the realistic and "gritty". Those are the comic books I don't like.
    biffsig.jpg
  • prootwaddleprootwaddle Posts: 232 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Reminds me of the modern-day superhero MMO I played, and rejected, before I found CO but with the core concept of that earlier MMO done properly. That MMO was pretty much a cut-down version of CO but one that had become less interesting and engaging than CO itself.

I note though that the pitch looked like a high-concept technical demo and the quality of the graphic dropped down a couple of steps when they showed the mods players had created.

A game as good-looking as the initial demo would probably require that most people would need to go out and buy new laptop or desktops.

A completely free-form mash-up of superhuman and/or action hero characters would probably cause some emergent behavior to arrive as the community agree that most of the powers are bunk and settle on a using only a smaller, more effective subset of powers.

So the ideals might be there but the reality could be quite different if it is delivered.

This wouldn't be a game I'd consider crowdfunding from that pitch.

Superhero stories, done well, are about modern archetypes.

A Prootwaddle is one of the weirder player-character races in "The Fantasy Trip", Steve Jackson's first published role-playing game.
  • thearkadythearkady Posts: 337 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Your thoughts on this?

I think I fail to see how what appears to be, in essence, a mulitplayer-capable third person shooter competes with an actual MMO.

Oh, wait. Maybe it'll be the Neverwinter Nights of super-heroics.

Then again, maybe not.
  • rokurocarisrokurocaris Posts: 1,074 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    quasimojo1 wrote: »

It is on a kickstarter, and yes, the first attempt failed.
    But it is definitely not a fangame. The devs are all professionals who have worked on similar games before.
    thearkady wrote: »
    I think I fail to see how what appears to be, in essence, a mulitplayer-capable third person shooter competes with an actual MMO.

Oh, wait. Maybe it'll be the Neverwinter Nights of super-heroics.

Then again, maybe not.

That's an iteresting view on it.
    It's not a pure shooter, btw, but it can be played as one.
  • cybersoldier1981cybersoldier1981 Posts: 2,501 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Was stoked about this until I realized it'd be just another MMOPVPDEATHMATCHRAWR game with some mediocre story mode.
  • psychickittypsychickitty Posts: 253 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Well it looks neat...

But since you all watched the video....they said you will have to customize the game through mods the users make....they then proceeded to show what others did using unreal engine 3 stuff.

If you go to the website you see its a single player game...

Soooo.....basically its going to be a modern day skyrim like game.

Will be neat for a while...but its not going to be multiplayer.

What makes this game champions online reloaded fun....is that you can team up with other people to do things.....lately there hasn't been enough things to require more people....and what there is...no one wants to team up to do.

I truly had wished that at some point there would be a thing like the meda D robot but stronger......requiring more then a few players.....something anyone could join to help fight.
    Something that one day, came to destroy this world....something that would unite the players to a common goal to team up for that single instance and prove they are the champions that the game world calls them.

yah there are events but they are few and far between.
    And if they happen too much....then no one wants to do them over and over.

Power without Perception is Spiritually useless and therefore of no true value.

=^_^=

• nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    It looks arse.
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • tskalestskales Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Looks fun, but it's really not the same as CO, DCUO, COH etc.

There's still The Phoenix Project and Heroes & Villains, which are in the works.
  • smoochansmoochan Posts: 2,564 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    At a glance it looks like it has yes on both.

[...]

Oh I mean in the finished product. Videos like these are notoriously misleading. I'm sure at some point someone described DCUO's costume editor as the greatest thing since JC Penny's too, just like I've seen things where people said "we want to give the players choices" where those choices ended up being a lot more limited than was initially advertised.

From what I saw in the videos, the costume editor is going to have a lot of rather bland options...and as for the powers, looked to me like a FPS with variously skinned bullets, with melee attacks.

Champions Online: Be the hero you wish you could be in a better game.
    edited April 2013
    tskales wrote: »
    Looks fun, but it's really not the same as CO, DCUO, COH etc.

There's still The Phoenix Project and Heroes & Villains, which are in the works.

Heroes and Villains... I won't be touching that with a ten foot pole based solely on the disgusting person that's heading up that project.
    biffsig.jpg
    edited April 2013
    Heroes and Villains... I won't be touching that with a ten foot pole based solely on the disgusting person that's heading up that project.
    Do explain this- I'm not 'in the know' on both this project and the person you're discussing. I haven't heard this 'history' of CO...

Seriously, enlighten me- because I'm in the dark on this.
  • roughbearmattachroughbearmattach Posts: 4,784 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    It is a failed kickstarter project . . . and a single player game.

Not interested.

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.
  • pizzataropizzataro Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I wouldn't compare it to CO, CoH or DCUO.
    In my opinion, that game has a different feel and look to be compared to these 3.

But still, I'll be giving that game a chance, so I got myself a founders package.

Here is another video for those interested in the powers: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kn8xwa50O8&feature=youtu.be

Actual powers start at 00:55
  • itsbrou#5396 itsbrou Posts: 1,778 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Whenever a tech demo appears for something at the beginning of its development cycle, just close your eyes and remember Aliens: Colonial Marines.
    Brou in Cryptic games.
  • forutnefireforutnefire Posts: 477 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I'd.... love to play something like this. Does it pose a threat to CO? I think that depends on how Cryptic and PWE treat CO, if this game was to come to it's fruition.
    ~ Flare@Lectrohm (In-Game)

voos2b.jpg
    Flare's guide to hosting and judging costume contests!
    (link under construction)
  • pariahoyamapariahoyama Posts: 48 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Look at this it looks nothing like Champs, DCUO or Marvel Online. I really think that when someone in here said that it was like Secret World they hit the nail on the head. What is in the video really had a feel like Secret World had a baby with the show "Heroes" and then that baby had a filing with game Grand Theft Auto producing this game as offspring for some reason. They seem far from similar.

To me if it has a robust character creator, lets you actually be heroic instead of killing every cop and civilian around and there is some good story to it then I will give it a shot. I pray that they allow for heroes to save the people that the villains put in jeopardy. That would amaze me, frankly. It looks interesting so far and I need to look into it further. I think we all should as fans of the genre, but I am not allowed to say such heretical things around here, I fear.

What is with the super blurry near sighted insanity all the games are forcing on us these days. If I wanted to be blind I would take off my douche specs...
    edited April 2013
    The game isn't a challenge to CO or DCUO, since it is a single player game, possibly with servers like old NWN. It isn't going to be an MMO.

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.
  • nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Do explain this- I'm not 'in the know' on both this project and the person you're discussing. I haven't heard this 'history' of CoH...

Firstly fixed that for you. Ok heres the info you seek.

Heroes and Villians is a pipe dream thought up by the biggest troll ever to grace City Of Heroes..Golden Girl. If a player didnt make toons that were heroic she would go out of her way to troll them. Thats some hero sh$t right there.
    A lot of ex CoX players like myself will give this a miss ( thats saying if it ever gets made and thats very very doubtful :P ) just because it has her mitts all over it.

I find it odd that she has the term villains in her game saying she spent most of her time raging about people that played as villains.
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
    edited April 2013
    Do explain this- I'm not 'in the know' on both this project and the person you're discussing. I haven't heard this 'history' of CO...

As Nepht said, it has to do with CoH's old resident hag of a troll, Golden Girl.
  • hyperstrikecohhyperstrikecoh Posts: 472 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I can't help but shake the feeling that if you jumped in that game as your favorite tights-wearing superheroes, the majority of the playerbase would have the reaction of "Dude, seriously? You're gonna walk around wearing that?" I don't think a game that isn't specifically targeted at comic book enthusiasts is really gonna bring the right crowd for that.

Basically this game (PA) seems like it's aimed at people who watched WAYYYY too much "Heroes".
    edited April 2013

Read the way she comes off in this interview: http://beefjack.com/features/rising-from-city-of-heroes-ashes/

She's very much a "My way is the right way, everything else is stupid," person. Hardly the type of person I'd want to be producing a game. Check the part where they ask the head of both teams why the project was divided. Ugh, the worst kind of person in my book.
    biffsig.jpg
    edited April 2013
    Basically this game (PA) seems like it's aimed at people who watched WAYYYY too much "Heroes".

And that's fine... but it won't be tugging at me to go play it.

Now, if Pixar decided to make Incredibles Online... :P
    biffsig.jpg
  • kiyoko4kiyoko4 Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Your thoughts on this?
    e.

Well, my thought is that it is the lobby shoot-up scene from the first Matrix movie.

Its pitch is for players to get to feel some creepy power kick while killing a bunch of police.

He ends it with "show the world who you want to be". So I think it is to appeal to the angry-at-society types. Kind of an FPS vibe.

I hope that doesn't appeal anymore. After all, Matrix came out 14 years ago. But I guess there will always be some of that adolescent rage as each generation hits puberty.

So I really don't like it. Maybe I'm just taking it too negative though, and dating myself at the same time!
    edited April 2013
    Read the way she comes off in this interview: http://beefjack.com/features/rising-from-city-of-heroes-ashes/

She's very much a "My way is the right way, everything else is stupid," person. Hardly the type of person I'd want to be producing a game. Check the part where they ask the head of both teams why the project was divided. Ugh, the worst kind of person in my book.

Oh, she's just horrible. She has no moral scruples or etiquette at all. She's just a black-hearted little human being.
  • sigmaseven0sigmaseven0 Posts: 714 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    nepht wrote: »
    Firstly fixed that for you. Ok heres the info you seek.

Heroes and Villians is a pipe dream thought up by the biggest troll ever to grace City Of Heroes..Golden Girl. If a player didnt make toons that were heroic she would go out of her way to troll them. Thats some hero sh$t right there.
    A lot of ex CoX players like myself will give this a miss ( thats saying if it ever gets made and thats very very doubtful :P ) just because it has her mitts all over it.

I find it odd that she has the term villains in her game saying she spent most of her time raging about people that played as villains.
    Let me get this straight:

Project Awakened is an evolution of Heroes and Villains?

This person in the smackwell's link talking about the other guys "lack of vision" and her intent to make a "true spiritual successor to COH" then goes and makes a console style single player action game?:confused:

PVP is starving without rewards

1. Please give us Daily PVP missions that reward Questionite.
    2. Please give us an exchange rate between Acclaim and Recognition so that PVP has access to all "On Alert" PVE rewards.
  • atringatring Posts: 233 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Honestly, I didn't read the New Universe, either. I did have the Frank Miller Wolverine miniseries and still have most of his Batman work (Year One, DKR, and such), but, yeah, I kind of avoided the indies and the grittier themes. A lot of it was really, really good, like the original black and white TMNT, the early Dark horse stuff, but I just couldn't afford to buy that stuff and the Batman and the then-plethora of X-Titles. Besides, "Days of Future Past" was plenty gritty.

Part of the problem since December, 2012.
    edited April 2013
    Let me get this straight:

Project Awakened is an evolution of Heroes and Villains?

This person in the smackwell's link talking about the other guys "lack of vision" and her intent to make a "true spiritual successor to COH" then goes and makes a console style single player action game?:confused:

No, neither of those games has anything to do with Project Awakening.
  • rianfrostrianfrost Posts: 578 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    this is a game i have been an enthusiastic supporter of and would have liked to see people be a bit more open minded about here, but its an offline singleplayer superhero game that ncsoft cannot take away from me when they decide to be ncsoft, so yeah, enthusiastic supporter of it.
    It is a failed kickstarter project . . . and a single player game.

Not interested.

it failed becaue they set the goal too high, they lowered it significantly to get it made. if the people who pledged before would pledge the same amount now we would not only get the game proper but online ANd modding support, like the Bethesda games that i buy exclusively on pc for. as for single player game, it will have an online component as well, it just not going to be yanked from your hands when a ncsoft exec gets a bug up his butt.

and as per this being fan made, this game was being worked on by phosphor games(makers of some well regarded ipad game called horn) for midway before they collapsed, they felt strongly about the project and kept working on it in their free time, this is a chance to get it made properly.

as for this gaem being a threat to co? cryptic is a threat to co, this game is an enjoyable alternative for those of us who want to play alone or in small lobbies with only our friends and not a bunch of 15 year olds shouting in zone chat.
    edited April 2013
    As Nepht said, it has to do with CoH's old resident hag of a troll, Golden Girl.
    i reiterate, we had much worse trolls than gg. compared to *** or *** she was small time.
    edited April 2013
    rianfrost wrote: »
    i reiterate, we had much worse trolls than gg. compared to evil legacy or angry citizen she was small time.legacy especially was a despicable excuse for a human being.

I said resident. The other two didn't show up until the NCSoft closure announcement.
    edited April 2013
    I said resident. The other two didn't show up until the NCSoft closure announcement.
    AC had been there a long time like issue 1 or 2 ish, he actually left and came back a decent person...till the end caused him to turn back into a 5 year old with a pack of crayons but with less empathy and regard for others. and i remember evil legacy since around issue 6, she was a big part of the devs hate villains crowd back post issue 8. now her Tokyo rose bit at the end of coh was definitely an turn up on her game, but she had been there for a while.

but thats neither here nor there, the point of this thread SHOULD be, hey, people who enjoy superheroes and being able to play your games after you buy them, this game is neeto
    edited April 2013
    rianfrost wrote: »
    AC had been there a long time like issue 1 or 2 ish, he actually left and came back a decent person...till the end caused him to turn back into a 5 year old with a pack of crayons but with less empathy and regard for others. and i remember evil legacy since around issue 6, she was a big part of the devs hate villains crowd back post issue 8. now her Tokyo rose bit at the end of coh was definitely an turn up on her game, but she had been there for a while.

Huh... I remembered neither of them existing before the bridge-dropping.
  • jennymachxjennymachx Posts: 3,000 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    The gameplay in the video reminds me a lot of games like Prototype and inFamous. I'm not sure if it can be called a superhero game, but considering how a lot of the more modern superheros have less to do with costumes and capes and more about the power fantasy itself, I guess it could be considered as one as long as the theme involves fighting against an evil / oppressive antagonist faction / individual.

That being said, I doubt this could be considered direct competition to CO, considering that it isn't a MMO in the first place.
    edited April 2013
    jennymachx wrote: »
    The gameplay in the video reminds me a lot of games like Prototype and inFamous. I'm not sure if it can be called a superhero game, but considering how a lot of the more modern superheros have less to do with costumes and capes and more about the power fantasy itself, I guess it could be considered as one as long as the theme involves fighting against an evil / oppressive antagonist faction / individual.

That being said, I doubt this could be considered direct competition to CO, considering that it isn't a MMO in the first place.

Ohhh no don't say that, it'll bring up the "Secret World is a Superhero game because the characters have powers" thing again!

Honestly the second thing I did think of when watching that was InFamous.
    biffsig.jpg
  • meedacthunistmeedacthunist Posts: 2,961 Arc User1
    edited April 2013
    Project Awakening looks like game about people with superpowers, which is not the same as game about superheroes.
    It's just like TSW, which fits urban fantasy/world conspiracy niche. Except PA offers science based origin of powers.
    It also offers the same origin for every superpowered individual.

Probably it could be modded into the game about superheroes, but it is not the primary target of the game.
    Just like the TES games - only because they can be modded into basically everything it doesn't meant that TES games are not sword&sorcery games.
  • chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I agree. Having watched that video.
    those are not super heros, they are super- psychos.

This will appeal to all the gankers, spawn campers and open world PVPs who like nothing better than to attack anyone available.
    preferably while the person is busy.
    Now all they have to do is persuade their parents to support it. :biggrin:
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
    edited April 2013

What a wretched woman. I'll say I'm not going to touch her project, either. Someone with that kind of attitude needs to be somewhere making Call of Duty games for screeching tweens.
  • roughbearmattachroughbearmattach Posts: 4,784 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    chaelk wrote: »
    I agree. Having watched that video.
    those are not super heros, they are super- psychos.

This will appeal to all the gankers, spawn campers and open world PVPs who like nothing better than to attack anyone available.
    preferably while the person is busy.
    Now all they have to do is persuade their parents to support it. :biggrin:

It won't appeal to those gamers, since the game is was planned as single-player. The developers, on their blog, said that they would eventually have some sort of UGC, and perhaps game hosting, but there were no specific plans for online, multiplayer play.

I was going to become a supporter for their kickstarter, but once I read all the details, and found out it wasn't going to be an MMO, I put my credit card away. There are lots of awesome single-player games out there. I'm not interested.

• ashensnowashensnow Posts: 2,048 Arc User
    edited April 2013

I just read that interview and, dear lord, what an awful attitude.

'Caine, miss you bud. Fly high.
  • tskalestskales Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    That Golden Girl does sounds like a tard, and she really does appear to be disliked over at the Titan forums.

Still, there is one bright hope for the future with The Phoenix Project.
  • spyralpegacyonspyralpegacyon Posts: 383 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Now, if Pixar decided to make Incredibles Online... :P

The good news is you could get an Incredibles Online.

The bad news is it'll guest star Wolverine. :wink:
    tumblr_moni7tHVoq1rzu2xzo1_500.gif
  • aetharburnaetharburn Posts: 40 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    It's like you people don't even bother reading all the comments stating that it's a singleplayer game.
    I'll say it again;

IT'S A SINGLEPLAYER GAME AND, AS SUCH,

CANNOT BE CO'S COMPETITION.

Okay. That should do it.
    :rolleyes:

"No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality."