test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Do you like the Harbringer alert?

smoochansmoochan Posts: 2,564 Arc User
I sure do! Anyone else? This kind of epic move-around-a-lot stuff is exactly what we need more of. Hopefully this alert stays just like the carrier alert did!

Champions Online: Be the hero you wish you could be in a better game.
Post edited by smoochan on

Comments

• xcaligaxxcaligax Posts: 1,096 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    smoochan wrote: »
    I sure do! Anyone else? This kind of epic move-around-a-lot stuff is exactly what we need more of. Hopefully this alert stays just like the carrier alert did!

I like it SO far...what I don't like is that I haven't gotten the action figure yet. Everyone else has it but me. EVERYONE IN THE WORLD HAS IT BUT CALIGA!! ARGGHH!!!!

I'M NOT COOL!!!!!

.....I'm ok. Really.

:biggrin:
  • towershield#4714 towershield Posts: 1,208 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I like it.

Hope it sticks around.

I don't know who does Defender's voice but that needs to be utilized more. I like that narration.
    ___________________________________________________________________________________________
  • kemmicalskemmicals Posts: 853 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I enjoyed it!

... It also reminded me a lot of the Perfect Chaos fight in Sonic Adventure. Seriously, turn on some Crush 40 while you fight the big guy and you will not regret it.
  • flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Not really. Theres something just wrong with it. Don't get the hype about it.
    Maybe its just me.
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • nextnametakennextnametaken Posts: 2,212 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Sound is terrible. The rain takes up at least two channels/speakers constantly.
    All other sound is not effective. Feels isolated and empty.
    I have seven speakers surround sound and its like an old radio and portable TV with a cop show on.

The cut scenes are distracting and immersion breaking.
    There's no dramatic change of sound effects or musical score to go with the cinematic.
    Why have it so that cut scenes happen while people are actively playing?
    10 people. One can trigger a cut scene it seems.

I like that the subtitles are subtitles and not early 20th century cartoon balloons.

I got bored by the third wave of the robot fighters.
    I don't know where everyone went, I guess they died and waited at the respawn?

There's no indication of my team on my minimap.

The first half of it, besides the sound, seemed really really fun actually.
    That was a first run and my first play of a character or combat in over 58 days.
    The harbinger thing, meh. He's stationary and I take damage as soon as I'm in effective range.

The flying robots get a bit old around that third wave.
    Should be different flying robots each wave and it would have been nice if the location changed, like the big bad sea monster actually did some damage instead of wading ominously and peeing in our pond.
  • crypticbuxomcrypticbuxom Posts: 4,589 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    The rewards are awesome. The action is awesome. This really shows all the work that was put into it from the feedback. I'm glad it had the delays it got to come out. And yes R4 and 5 mods and questionite!

I just have three requests:

The Harbinger should never have his health reset. That is so annoying. But its because we didn't have a full team, some players refused to recover and others left because of this. And I had to go back and get a hover disk since the timer ran out and his health reset when I tried to get one. So yes this thing can fail.

The debuff effects of Negative Ions and Elemental Snake really horribly lag out and cut speed, and causes seizures. If there is a way to remove the visual effects on the boss than lag and not being able to look at the screen won't be factors in its real difficulty.

The Until Carrier in the cut scene...can we have one permanently there in zone? That would be awesome to hang out on!

Great job and hope this things stay in the queue list forever.
  • kallethenkallethen Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I love the mission. And the rewards from two runs so far has been great. Handfuls of rank 4/5 mods plus a sizable amount of Questionite.

I can't say I have any issues with the sound like some others have posted. But I do have better than average speakers. YMMV.

I'm not sure I ever saw the Harbinger reset health on my runs on either the PTS or the live. So I guess YMMV here too.
    100% of the world is crazy, 95% are in denial.

• theravenforcetheravenforce Posts: 7,065 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    kemmicals wrote: »
    I enjoyed it!

... It also reminded me a lot of the Perfect Chaos fight in Sonic Adventure. Seriously, turn on some Crush 40 while you fight the big guy and you will not regret it.

I...I had it playing and it enhanced my gaming experience 10 fold xD

LIVE AND LEAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRN! :3
  • biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    xcaligax wrote: »
    I like it SO far...what I don't like is that I haven't gotten the action figure yet. Everyone else has it but me. EVERYONE IN THE WORLD HAS IT BUT CALIGA!! ARGGHH!!!!

I'M NOT COOL!!!!!

.....I'm ok. Really.

:biggrin:

I've gotten five of them so far. Can't do anything but vendor them.
    biffsig.jpg
  • shogoyahagishogoyahagi Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Sorry guys, I'm not going to torture myself with this one. It stinks. I thought the Dev's delayed it so they could improve it? All they did is make it harder. The mooks have WAY too many hit points. I'm tired of being defeated.

The final boss is a re-skin of Therakiel, without the unbreakable holds. He's nothing new.
    Fight boss, boss goes invulnerable, fight mooks, boss becomes vulnerable, fight boss, repeat until boss is dead.

I liked the story, the graphics were beautiful, and the cut-scenes did an awesome job conveying the story.

The grind is too much for me, sorry, I want to live.
  • trailturtletrailturtle Posts: 5,496 Perfect World Employee
    edited March 2013
    kemmicals wrote: »

Huh. That... wow, I hadn't thought of that. Sad confession: I 100%'ed the Shadow game. Yes, the Sonic game with the guns.
  • crappynamerulescrappynamerules Posts: 81 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    No. I don't like it. It was pretty awful.

-It really feels like Lemuria has come to Millennium City! In that the familiar city has become a confusing, visually painful mess of hideous coloration.

-It painfully highlights the issues the game engine has when going between surfacing and diving in water. Namely, it shuts off your travel power, and when you come up out of the water, it stays off momentarily. This can lead to you just dropping right back into the water again, instead of flying off, especially if you are in combat.

-"Exocet Fighters" boss mechanic is dumb. Boss is magically invincible until you kill the fighters, which allows for UNTIL to fire their deus ex machina cannon at it. Supposedly these fighters are attacking the carrier and giving them trouble...except they're not. They just fly around a lot, and make themselves hard to kill for anyone who isn't in a vehicle. In fact, when they aggroed me, instead of attacking, they just flew away from me as I tried to catch up with them. I don't use a vehicle. I don't want to. I don't think I should have to use one to participate.

-No sense of direction throughout. Hard to keep track of the team, and where objectives are. Random cutscenes pop up just from one person passing through their trigger area.

Yet another piece of lame content that's just an obvious vehicle (har har) for selling vehicles. Off I go back to hiatus, lemme know when you guys actually wanna continue with that whole super hero MMO thing. Thanks.
  • smoochansmoochan Posts: 2,564 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Sound is terrible. The rain takes up at least two channels/speakers constantly.
    All other sound is not effective. Feels isolated and empty.
    I have seven speakers surround sound and its like an old radio and portable TV with a cop show on.
    [...]

I agree on this. I play with the music turned off, which makes this even more noticeable. The fight with the harbinger is actually really quiet, and the roars from the thing aren't as full and beefy as I'd imagine them from such a giant monster.

Champions Online: Be the hero you wish you could be in a better game.
  • kenpojujitsu3kenpojujitsu3 Posts: 1,320 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I enjoyed it. It's just fast enough without being too short and just challenging enough without being too hard or a complete mind-numbing cakewalk. You have to at least pay attention and most builds and players will be able to complete with little to no problems outside of dumb deaths like I had from not paying attention to "OMG that's killing you!" attacks.

Rewards are well done as well.

Sound needs work though. Especially the "RARR"s coming from the final boss.

A lot of the complaints I'm reading here I just don't get. Reads like people raging just to rage from what I just saw. I didn't die an obscene amount of times (nor did anyone else on the runs we just did), I didn't have problems killing Exo fighters and I wasn't in a vehicle. I played this on Sho Nuff, Arsenal Gear and Storm Bringer for people curious of what builds I was using.
    Freeform Builds Directory (Last updated: 04/23/2016)
    Serving since September, 2009 / 65 Characters, 63 Level 40's
  • draogndraogn Posts: 1,269 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    If you are melee the aircraft phase sucks, even as ranged I found trying to target the aircraft to be annoying. There are too many unskippable cut scenes. The until carrier never moves, so why does it have to 'move back into range'.

The rewards are alright, but overall the fight is rather boring and unimaginative. I'm not seeing the epic/mega part of this. I also thought this was also suppose to change something about MC, after we exit the alert there is no signs anything happened.
  • bioshrikebioshrike Posts: 5,491 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I like the alert. It has a more epic feel to it than most of the others. I agree that there should have been music during the final confrontation, and the distance requirements to attack should have been at the outer surface of the harbinger - it seems you must be like 50' from its center in order to use a 50' attack, which manes you have to practically be right on top of it. I don't have a problem w/ the exocet part, but there should have been more of a warning when it was going to become invulnerable. The characters I've played with with so far had enough HP to take the big hit, but I can see how this would be very frustrating for squishies. It's also very hard to target friendly players for heals since the harbinger takes up so much of the screen, (some sort of issue w/ its hitbox I assume).

Overall, it is very fun!
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
    edited March 2013
    I like it.

Hope it sticks around.

I don't know who does Defender's voice but that needs to be utilized more. I like that narration.

Don't get your hopes up.

"We expect the first engagements to start at Noon PST on March 7th and last until March 27th."
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I enjoyed it, except on my first run where I died near the edge of the zone, and respawned just outside of it. Quite frustrating. Ordinarily, I refuse to quit out of an Alert, but in this case, I couldn't do a bloody thing except fly around outside...

It is indeed necessary to be right on top of the Harbinger to shoot it. The Exocets were a pain too, partly because I'm not really very good with flying the Hawkwing in combat (maybe if I could connect one of my XBox controllers, but I think that requires Bluetooth, and this computer doesn't have that).

I got some mods I don't need (yet), 1700 Q, and a My Little Cthulhu AF. It's just the cutest little unspeakable horror from beyond space and time!
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    edited March 2013
    jonsills wrote: »
    (maybe if I could connect one of my XBox controllers, but I think that requires Bluetooth, and this computer doesn't have that).

You need this Jon

http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-360-Wireless-Gaming-Receiver-Windows/dp/B000HZFCT2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1362702548&sr=8-1&keywords=xbox+wireless+receiver
  • amontillado1amontillado1 Posts: 47 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    what is the reason for the health reset? ruined the whole thing for me.
  • biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Arc User
    edited March 2013

Snap they have third party ones now? Do you need one if your computer has bluetooth built in?
    biffsig.jpg
  • wesleytansgwesleytansg Posts: 863 Arc User
    edited October 2015

Sadly, we already have people raging that it is too hard.​​
    Post edited by kaiserin#0958 on
  • prankensteinprankenstein Posts: 194 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Sadly, we already have people raging that it is too hard.

This was one of the most boring boss fights I've ever had the displeasure of being in. The harbinger's attacks can be evaded by simply being under him in the water, and there are uncalled-for pauses in him taking damage, a mechanic which Cryptic really has quite a fetish with. WHY Must Destroyer become invincible 20 times before my worthless team can finally kill him? Why must radiation wear off after 45 seconds? Doesn't it take millions of years? Why is the most top-of-the-line floating destroyer in the world's targeting thrown off by 20 derpy floating claws? The Harbinger doesn't move, can't it just aim the cannon in the same exact place? Can't a beam of pure gamma rays penetrate something as worthless as building steel? How many licks does it take to get to the tootsie roll center of a tootsie pop? I may never know. But cryptic's love for boring boss fights is something which has occured many times now.

I mean honestly, can't you have just made it so the fighters attack random people instead of blocking the magical deus ex machina beam? Can't the water around the harbinger have been acidic or overly hot to prevent people from going in there in the first place? Can the Harbinger screech anything else but those two obnoxious, eardrum-shattering screams?

I am so very confused.
    ~~~The Tidal Tilde Wave of Seperation~~~
    I'd rather get STO's level of lockbox suck if worthwhile updates come with it. -Buxom
  • towershield#4714 towershield Posts: 1,208 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Don't get your hopes up.

"We expect the first engagements to start at Noon PST on March 7th and last until March 27th."

-Reality check detected-

Harumph!

1338226989609_zps3d02a26f.gif
    ___________________________________________________________________________________________
  • pariahoyamapariahoyama Posts: 48 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I am full on loving this event! It is easy to get what is going on and easy to figure out what you are supposed to do during it in whatever role you are. I really like that. It is streamlined and very well done. Just the right amount of cutscenes and mobs. The rewards are GREAT too. I mean maybe they are a hair under what I expected, but a full on tank is in there as a prize so the bottom end crappier mods are made up for by that.

Overall I really like it! Great work.
    edited March 2013
    Huh. That... wow, I hadn't thought of that. Sad confession: I 100%'ed the Shadow game. Yes, the Sonic game with the guns.

You have my ear, Citizen.
    photo-841190.jpg?_r=0
  • wesleytansgwesleytansg Posts: 863 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    This was one of the most boring boss fights I've ever had the displeasure of being in. The harbinger's attacks can be evaded by simply being under him in the water, and there are uncalled-for pauses in him taking damage, a mechanic which Cryptic really has quite a fetish with. WHY Must Destroyer become invincible 20 times before my worthless team can finally kill him? Why must radiation wear off after 45 seconds? Doesn't it take millions of years? Why is the most top-of-the-line floating destroyer in the world's targeting thrown off by 20 derpy floating claws? The Harbinger doesn't move, can't it just aim the cannon in the same exact place? Can't a beam of pure gamma rays penetrate something as worthless as building steel? How many licks does it take to get to the tootsie roll center of a tootsie pop? I may never know. But cryptic's love for boring boss fights is something which has occured many times now.

I mean honestly, can't you have just made it so the fighters attack random people instead of blocking the magical deus ex machina beam? Can't the water around the harbinger have been acidic or overly hot to prevent people from going in there in the first place? Can the Harbinger screech anything else but those two obnoxious, eardrum-shattering screams?

I am so very confused.

True that. The confrontation with the Harbinger could have been done even better. No need for invul phases and more exosets that attacks players sounds good. If they had received these suggestions earlier they could have incorporated them. However, we should still recognize that they took in quite a bit of feedback this time round from players. This is something I am quite glad. I am sure if we keep at this, any newer missions will have even more positive reviews. Also, it is not always possible to have every suggestion or feedback rolled out.
  • zamuelpwezamuelpwe Posts: 668 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    jonsills wrote: »
    The Exocets were a pain too, partly because I'm not really very good with flying the Hawkwing in combat (maybe if I could connect one of my XBox controllers, but I think that requires Bluetooth, and this computer doesn't have that).

You could possibly invest in a wired controller. Haven't set mine up yet for this game since I needed a replacement but they tend to work without problems for swapping between Xbox and a PC.
    "Interesting builds are born from limitations not by letting players put everything into one build."

-Sterga
    edited March 2013
    Don't get your hopes up.

Didn't TT say multiple times that this wasn't just going to be a temporary alert mission but more permanent like the Sky Carrier mission?

• crypticbuxomcrypticbuxom Posts: 4,589 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Its odd that something like Sky Carrier will always be around while Leviathan gets cycled out by the next thing.

The question is, what separates these Custom Alerts with the ones that cycle every two weeks or even a Rampage?

The Harbinger feels like a Rampage done right and it deserves to be permanently available at all times. Saying that, Gravitar needs to have some kind of pacing involved. Maybe cycle that out for a while and put Harbinger in its place. Then when she comes back the Rampage had stuff added and even a reward change?

BTW, Sky Carrier needs a reward boost.
    edited March 2013
    I agree that this would be a great replacement for Gravitar and to give her a rest. And double agree on Sky Carrier's rewards needing to be more substantial.

• canadascottcanadascott Posts: 1,257 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    kallethen wrote: »
    Didn't TT say multiple times that this wasn't just going to be a temporary alert mission but more permanent like the Sky Carrier mission?

Yes. And they would look into cycling it in periodically.
    /CanadaBanner4.jpg
  • polishlightningpolishlightning Posts: 404 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    This was one of the most boring boss fights I've ever had the displeasure of being in.
    Completely agreed. I just did it for a 2nd time so I could get the AF, otherwise I won't be playing it again. I thought about leaving, but didn't as not to gimp my teammates.
    I agree that this would be a great replacement for Gravitar and to give her a rest. And double agree on Sky Carrier's rewards needing to be more substantial.

I enjoy Gravitar more because of the lack of jet fighters I have to randomly take out. And melee seems like an option to play in the Gravitar alert. If they inject this into the rotation, I hope it's not at Gravitar's expense.
  • lucyinspacewithdiamondslucyinspacewithdiamonds Posts: 1,746 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    One of the problems with this game is there isn't enough of a polished look and feel. This is one of the reasons I consider it to be a beta. This fight is supposed to be "epic" but there is no background music. There was no ongoing story that was developed to lead players up to this point to make them like the alert even more. The other thing I don't like about Champions Online is it seems in general to be way too biased toward flying heroes. This fight is the worst case of this I've seen since I started playing in 2009; it can't feel "epic" when I'm stabbing at something that doesn't look like it has a form since I'm low down underwater. The whole fight consisted of me stabbing tentacles and the boss, not being able to go anywhere near my teammates since I don't have a flight power anymore. I'm just glad I never had to put up with that stupid disc thing from USC because it has far too much inertia for good play control.

I think the problems with stealth powers are breaking this game to the point where I can't enjoy it anymore. I think all my stealth and teleporting made the boss instaheal himself twice. I realized it too late, and my teammates quit before we could find the last tentacle that was supposedly there.

It plays like any other action game---which is fine, I guess---but the bugs and the lack of determination from random teammates make me want to avoid playing it again. Here is a screenshot of me standing there hopeless after my teammates died a lot and then quit not knowing what else to do:

GameClient2013-03-0723-34-33-37_zps666c1a0b.jpg
  • caycepollardcaycepollard Posts: 102 Arc User
    edited March 2013

There are a lot of things that have "been said" in these parts. You get used to it eventually. :rolleyes:
  • zoenderszoenders Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I can't wait to play it. I'm excited. :)
  • rianfrostrianfrost Posts: 578 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I like it, its longer than an alert, its got a nice giant monster, and overall, i enjoyed it. keep doing these and ill be happier. it had better stay around like the carrier, we have little enough new content for this rotation nonsense. its good keep it right where it is.
  • lucyinspacewithdiamondslucyinspacewithdiamonds Posts: 1,746 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Thought I'd reply to this again out of frustration. Below is a screenshot that shows the most I saw during the entire end fight. Nullified the positive experience of the first half. The targeting system is one of the things I like about this game, but in this fight, it's the best reminder of the inherent imperfection of the targeting design. Underwater I couldn't tell if I was within melee range or not because of all the movement of the tentacles. I wouldn't mind this so much if I could fly.

I don't like that IFO saucer thing. If I have to use that, then I won't be playing this again. Seems pretty counter-intuitive not to make it easier for players to know how to find one.

It's "epic" moments like the one pictured in this screenshot that almost make me wish I never played this game:

GameClient2013-03-0803-29-47-12_zpse00fa043.jpg
  • m1ndfr1km1ndfr1k Posts: 174 Arc User
    edited March 2013
  • scorpagorscorpagor Posts: 607 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    The event was alright.

Pros:

Boss had a cool design.
    I liked the screams of the harbinger.
    Environment looked great.
    Good rewards.

Cons:

The boss fight was an absolute joke. Way too easy and extremely tedious.
    Favors people with vehicles.
    Favors ranged characters.
    No music.
    Cutscenes felt rushed and did more harm to the overall experience than good.
    Subpar voice acting for Defender and Biselle (lemurians sounded a lot better).
  • chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I liked it.

I don't have the sound on when I play so no idea about any sounds.

was a bit hard working out range for it, with his size.

The exocets, it was just work out what height it is and wait for them to come round.

I got one of the flying disks from the tent.

----
    Best bit- cute little AF on first win.
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

• rokurocarisrokurocaris Posts: 1,074 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I made a whole post about this on the PTS Content forum.

My major problem is that the Biselle impersonator dies way too fast. He has this really cool power of transforming into all sorts of mobs, even animals. But you don't get to see much of it when he is beaten in less than two seconds! :frown:
    I think he should be just as hard as the average alert villain.

Also, I was pretty disappointed that there were no vehicle versions of the drill tanks, not even as NPCs.

The boss fight caused me massive lag, but aside from that, it seemed neither too hard nor too easy. And I was really surprised that my DPS vehicle was able to tank the Harbinger.
  • rokurocarisrokurocaris Posts: 1,074 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    -"Exocet Fighters" boss mechanic is dumb. Boss is magically invincible until you kill the fighters, which allows for UNTIL to fire their deus ex machina cannon at it. Supposedly these fighters are attacking the carrier and giving them trouble...except they're not. They just fly around a lot, and make themselves hard to kill for anyone who isn't in a vehicle. In fact, when they aggroed me, instead of attacking, they just flew away from me as I tried to catch up with them. I don't use a vehicle. I don't want to. I don't think I should have to use one to participate.

The audio says that the fighters are distracting the targeting system of the cannon or something. It reminds me of a startegy used by some pet herders in PvP, not only in CO: Try to fill the opponent's screen with so many pets that he can't target you anymore.
    Not that it would make sense to hide a skyscraper-sized monster behind a few tiny jets... :rolleyes:
    edited March 2013
    Snap they have third party ones now? Do you need one if your computer has bluetooth built in?

Yes, Microsoft uses a different standard than bluetooth for their wireless.
    edited March 2013
    chaelk wrote: »
    I don't have the sound on when I play so no idea about any sounds.

Put it like this. For certain stretches of the mission you wouldn't know if you had sound off or not. It just goes empty and then when there is sound it's repetitive rain and creature roaring and nothing else.

Unrelated to the quoted poster: As to people saying this mission is hard and takes too long...I now understand why this game is so difficulty light to some of us. Having read these boards, talked to some of my more casual friends and read a bit of zone chat...yeah, I have a new understanding of what people consider hard in this game and therefore a new perspective on the game's difficulty (or lack there of depending on who you are).
  • embracemyswordembracemysword Posts: 308 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I like this alert, almost as much as the Hi - Pan alert.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • nextnametakennextnametaken Posts: 2,212 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    It plays like any other action game---which is fine, I guess---but the bugs and the lack of determination from random teammates make me want to avoid playing it again. Here is a screenshot of me standing there hopeless after my teammates died a lot and then quit not knowing what else to do:

GameClient2013-03-0723-34-33-37_zps666c1a0b.jpg

Ha I think I have a demo_record of the same thing.Then I dunno one guy solo'd the boss and we all got a prize. Was really just weird and hollow feeling.

As for the length of the mission.
    I would have loved the same thing broken down into distinct missions to accomplish in the given terrain.

I have a pinched nerve, I need to stop doing computer stuff , too often.
    "Give me a break" is a real thing people actually need.
    The audio says that the fighters are distracting the targeting system of the cannon or something. It reminds me of a startegy used by some pet herders in PvP, not only in CO: Try to fill the opponent's screen with so many pets that he can't target you anymore.
    Not that it would make sense to hide a skyscraper-sized monster behind a few tiny jets... :rolleyes:

Tab targeting essential breaks when the exocets are out. All I get is a big invincible harbinger.
  • thearkadythearkady Posts: 337 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I like the overall idea, but there's three things that really annoy me.

1. The event is an excercise in why cutscenes are a terrible idea if you have a semi-open map. The Mayors one ist the worst - I have not been near them even once when it triggered, so all it ever did was serve to break the flow of my game.
    Lesson: If you want cutscenes, you have to railroad everyone into them properly.

2. The boss fight isn't fun, it's a drag. It's worse on melee toons, where trying to chase down the flier waves is too tedious to bother. It's worst on melee toons without SS CON and after the first time, you know you absolutely have to break off sufficiently before Harbinger's pre-immunity blast because that's likely to one-shot you.
    Lesson: Mostly "can't please everyone" here, though if the designers wanted to portray UNTIL as having even an ounce of sense, characters would be given the option of picking up a time-limited ranged-damage device. ("Here, take this bazooka and try to take out one flier, at least.")

3. Once again, the rewards can be entirely too bad particularly for something this pointlessly dragged out.
    Lesson: Okay, I get it - Cryptic doesn't want to ever balance effort vs. reward properly.
  • somebobsomebob Posts: 980 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I for one really like the 'alert'. It's a lot of fun, and yes, while the end boss does favor melee characters and those with vehicles (at least chasing around the exocets), here's some tips:

1) Get an UNTIL Hoverdisk if you don't have a vehicle. Sorry if you don't want to use the thing, but you're frankly wasting your time as well as others at the boss fight if you don't have one. Even if you're melee, get one. Why? You can still Lunge at an exocet to stun one and then tear it to pieces.

2) When fighting the boss, keep your mouse on his lifebar so you can watch it. The INSTANT he stops taking damage, hold down block and start moving backwards. You have roughly a second or two before he does his 'uber high damage PBAoE that hits everyone of doom' power. It's not like you can see what the boss looks like anyway with all the status effects on top of him.

3) Melee can hit the boss anywhere in his vertical height (assuming you're next to him). You don't need to go into the water (and it's not recommended either). You did get that Hoverdisk like I told you, right?

4) BUG: If you have Conflag / Avalanche / Lightning Storm as your main attack, well, you're buggered. Due to how those powers work (basically requiring you to be within 50ft of the very bottom of your target dead center), you have absolutely no way to deal damage to it with said power. Said bug has been around since launch, and for the most part the only other mob that has this issue is Mega-D, so it hasn't been talked about much. See poorly designed pic:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/49m3iqluckmun57/COConflagIssue.jpg

5) Follow the crowd. Odds are people have already run this a few times and know where they're going and the quickest route to that goal. It also makes fighting all the mobs inbetween that much easier.

6) "Watch out for the tentacles!" Yeah, that's a worthless tip if I've ever heard one. I have no idea why you hear that at the boss fight, as one just avoids it easily enough. Or just, you know, don't fight there.
    Owner and Lead Moderator for the Primus Database. Post your Hero today!
    Razira's Primus Database Page
  • romgotskromgotsk Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I've only played it once - brief thoughts:

1) Fun to do something new, but it's a bit too long.

2) Rewards? There are rewards? I opened the little case at the end and got an Ego Armoring V mod and 3 vehicle mods. Unless I missed where I was supposed to pick up other rewards, that seemed REALLY lame for the time invested.

3) Sound (or lack there of) is weird. I couldn't hear my own abilities going off.

4) Targeting area on the Harbinger was weird. Tab targeting (well, using a controller but still) just wouldn't grab him. I had to actually click to select this HUGE boss in front of me.

5) Not interested in vehicles for all but one of my characters - so the Exocet things were just annoying (not threatening, just annoying to try to hit).

6) This did not seem difficult to me, despite the fact I died several times (instakills from the Harbinger - didn't see the tells at first). I tried healing people since I was playing on my sorcery character... but everyone was so spread out it was pretty futile.

I'm sure I'll play it on a few more characters to see how it plays with different abilities, but couldn't see playing it on a regular basis.