Install Arc
Options

Alerts Discussion

13»

Comments

• Options
    kenpojujitsu3kenpojujitsu3 Posts: 1,320 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I don't get the hate. I had a 7 and an 11 with me last night on my super squishy toon, and another toon in the mid 20s, and we beat Demoiselle in less than 30 seconds. Even being a spike heavy squish-monster near level cap, the lowbie tank was able to keep aggro most of the time, and the alert went faster than just about any I'd done before it.

Granted, it was obvious that the lowbies knew what they were doing, but that just reinforces what's been said already. Skill matters.

The hate is largely people needing someone else to blame for failing alerts other than themselves and/or their own builds. It really is that simple and it's easy to point at a low level character despite the actual metrics of how the scaling works in alerts as far as scaling up and scaling down...
    Freeform Builds Directory (Last updated: 04/23/2016)
    Serving since September, 2009 / 65 Characters, 63 Level 40's
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Wait a minute.

When a 7 or 8 gets scaled up to 30, his damage is massively increased. There may be only two or three attacks, but they hit harder than the player might expect.

When a 40 gets scaled down to 30, we are informed, his damage is halved.

So it's the lowbie's fault when not enough damage is done?

(A 40 doesn't have to hold the aggro - I once tanked a Dustup in a lvl-11 Glacier. Fortunately, the healer kept me up through the experience, while the others helped me take the boss down...)
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    zahinderzahinder Posts: 2,382 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Well, for me, the magic cut-off is 10. I think characters balloon very quickly from 6 to 10.

At 8 (most? All?) archetypes get an innate, at 10 everyone gets second super-stat. 11 helps a bunch with another power, generally tier 2.

At that point I think most characters have the tools to contribute significantly. Before this point, I think players will find it hard to make most characters function usefully.
    Campaign: The Fenwick Cycle NWS-DKR9GB7KH

Wicks and Things: NW-DI4FMZRR4 : The Fenwick merchant family has lost a caravan! Can you help?

Beggar's Hollow: NW-DR6YG4J2L : Someone, or something, has stolen away many of the Fenwicks' children! Can you find out what happened to them?

Into the Fen Wood: NW-DL89DRG7B : Enter the heart of the forest. Can you discover the secret of the Fen Wood?