test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Alerts Discussion

syphervsypherv Posts: 89 Arc User
edited February 2013 in Champions Online Discussion
Hi guys,

So just finished an alert, level 6 to level 7, and i had a bit of hate for it, because i am level 6.
Now i understand that the general consensus is that to join an alert you need to be a minimum level of 15, if that's the case, and i don't dispute this, why are they accessible to the lower levels?
Think of it this way, i have been a paying subscriber for 3 years since early beta in fact, and in all the years i played city of heroes as well, i have never come across players who tell you how to play, regardless of level or condition your character is in.

I am bringing this discussion up because i was made to feel unwelcome to a game that i pay for, and i can't imagine the free players getting this kind of rubbish either, it's not on, it's not right and not welcoming at all.

If these alerts are designed for higher levels then i propose that the devs look into locking the alerts for level 15 min upwards, if not then i propose that the devs scale the alerts to the actual level of the character.

This is not one of those "can't have fun guys" posts or "play my way or no way" kind of posts.
This is a genuine concern because it is attracting big hate towards players like myself, and giving a bad name and vibe to the company, right now my options are just leaving this game and go play DCUO regardless of peoples opinions on that game, i shouldn't have to.

I won't name the people in question but i don't blame them for their response, i actually agree with them in hindsight, even though i prefer to level quicker that way, and i have not lost a single xp alert yet.

This needs to be sorted asap, i hope the devs read this post and give it a look, and at least consider some kind of action, not towards players, but towards the alerts, i seen a post that a guy wanted alerts gone, that is just wrong, it's not the alerts that's the problem, or the players, it's because of the scaling or requirement issue.

We should not be hating each other or making each other feel unwelcome, i love this game, iv'e grown to this game, iv'e made friends on this game, let's make it better together, and try to influence the devs that this change is needed so that we work together and have fun rather than giving each other a hard time over a game.

SypherV

The internetz is one crazy place! tread carefully!
Post edited by sypherv on

Comments

• oyo32oyo32 Posts: 141 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    There should honestly be level tiers for alerts, similar to how there are tiers for the Hero Games:
    Tier 1: Level 6 to 10
    Tier 2: Level 11 to 20
    Tier 3: Level 21 to 30
    Tier 4: Level 31 to 40

Now similar level characters are kept together, and no more of that funky side kicking system.

(Also change the XP reward in Smashes to something else for level 40s so they have a reason to do them outside of daily missions and increase the amount of Burst alerts that show up.)

Also, people just need to stop getttin' mad at video games too.
    AOyJ2f6.png
  • flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    To make Alerts accessable to lower levels was the easiest way to create Alerts for Cryptic. Just slap the allaround autoscale lvl 30 to them all so no need like different tiers or them scaling to player level made. Every higher than 30 gets lowered dmg and stuff so the bosses don't need to be special.
    And when you can do Alerts from the beginning, you're dulled to believe theres enough playable content to last forever.
    By all means start the Alerts as soon as you can. Don't pay attention too much what others say. You play your game and leave other to theirs.
    It's your choice, either do or don't. If you're doing great in Alerts with your lvl 6, then everything is fine. If not, it's your choice. Not someone elses to choose if you can or cannot do Alerts as a 'lowbie'.
    It's not like the Alerts are main content of CO. Probably.
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • ashensnowashensnow Posts: 2,048 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    sypherv wrote: »
    Now i understand that the general consensus is that to join an alert you need to be a minimum level of 15

There is no such consensus. Alerts are accessible to characters of all levels and characters are directed to them from their first arrival in post tutorial MC. People being abusive toward you for your level are behaving inappropriately and should be reported for it.

Enjoy the game.

'Caine, miss you bud. Fly high.
  • gamehobogamehobo Posts: 1,970 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    back in the Tumerboy era we were promised lvl 40 versions of all lairs to come with the future queue system.

That queue system became On Alert and they have fed us ZERO lvl 40 queues
  • syphervsypherv Posts: 89 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    ashensnow wrote: »
    There is no such consensus. Alerts are accessible to characters of all levels and characters are directed to them from their first arrival in post tutorial MC. People being abusive toward you for your level are behaving inappropriately and should be reported for it.

Enjoy the game.

I appreciate the support, i did not report them however, i wish not to abuse the ignore or report button because we can all get cranky and i kinda understand that the alerts are messed up, but thank you though.

edited February 2013
    flyingfinn wrote: »
    To make Alerts accessable to lower levels was the easiest way to create Alerts for Cryptic. Just slap the allaround autoscale lvl 30 to them all so no need like different tiers or them scaling to player level made. Every higher than 30 gets lowered dmg and stuff so the bosses don't need to be special.
    And when you can do Alerts from the beginning, you're dulled to believe theres enough playable content to last forever.
    By all means start the Alerts as soon as you can. Don't pay attention too much what others say. You play your game and leave other to theirs.
    It's your choice, either do or don't. If you're doing great in Alerts with your lvl 6, then everything is fine. If not, it's your choice. Not someone elses to choose if you can or cannot do Alerts as a 'lowbie'.
    It's not like the Alerts are main content of CO. Probably.

I agree, and i do, i play the game how i see fit, but some times the abuse can put a downer on the whole concept side of things, i love making a new character, leveling him up, gear him up and enjoy the whole role play side of things too, but one comment can turn it upside down, it may not be a seriously bad comment but it makes you think, and that's what it was, i treat everyone with courtesy as best as i can, but it made me think about proposed ideas for the alerts, and in truth it has become a staple for the community to join in get resources for the dailies, and xp whenever they feel fit, which is what it's there for, or level to 40, but i definitely think there is something wrong with this system, i hope they deal with it sooner than later.

• biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    /ignore
    /fun
    biffsig.jpg
  • smoochansmoochan Posts: 2,564 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Demi-Lovato-here-we-go-again-album-cover-300x297.jpg

Champions Online: Be the hero you wish you could be in a better game.
  • thatcursedwolfthatcursedwolf Posts: 484 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Everyone being level 6 might make the timed ones just a wee bit interesting, Ao'Igiveup is a pain if you don't have the right powers no matter your level, but for bursts and grabs having low level characters on the team usually means it just takes a little longer.
    This is my Risian Corvette. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
    edited February 2013
    smoochan wrote: »

I don't know what this picture is supposed to mean but i am the type of guy that does not hide behind pictures or slogans to cover up my opinion so with that i will say that this is a discussion about the alerts, not to rile up anyone or start a thread argument.

edited February 2013
    Everyone being level 6 might make the timed ones just a wee bit interesting, Ao'Igiveup is a pain if you don't have the right powers no matter your level, but for bursts and grabs having low level characters on the team usually means it just takes a little longer.

Granted, and agree 100% but it also means that people take the crap for playing a game as well, hence why we should push for changes to the alerts to accommodate everyone.

• jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,315 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Granted, and agree 100% but it also means that people take the crap for playing a game as well, hence why we should push for changes to the alerts to accommodate everyone.
    In the words of that great philosopher, Richard Nelson:

Yes, it's all right now,
    I've learned my lesson well:
    You see, you can't please everyone
    So you got to please yourself.
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    edited February 2013
    jonsills wrote: »
    In the words of that great philosopher, Richard Nelson:

Yes, it's all right now,
    I've learned my lesson well:
    You see, you can't please everyone
    So you got to please yourself.

No jon just no.

• jennymachxjennymachx Posts: 3,000 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    No, you're right OP. Alerts are killing the game.

/thread_over 1
  • zahinderzahinder Posts: 2,382 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    IMO, Alerts were an awesome stop-gap measure. The problem is that Alerts needed to be the first step of several, and we haven't had much follow-through.

Alerts gives people something to do when they are feeling bored with other stuff, but that can only last so long before people are wondering what they are running Alerts _for_.

We need either a lot more regular missions, new zones, and/or Foundry.

In particular, Alerts will very nicely cut down on the exploit pressure on any CO Foundry, because it's hard to beat 'get a bunch of XP for running a three minute Smash.'
    Campaign: The Fenwick Cycle NWS-DKR9GB7KH

Wicks and Things: NW-DI4FMZRR4 : The Fenwick merchant family has lost a caravan! Can you help?

Beggar's Hollow: NW-DR6YG4J2L : Someone, or something, has stolen away many of the Fenwicks' children! Can you find out what happened to them?

Into the Fen Wood: NW-DL89DRG7B : Enter the heart of the forest. Can you discover the secret of the Fen Wood?
  • cellarrat33cellarrat33 Posts: 399 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    zahinder wrote: »
    In particular, Alerts will very nicely cut down on the exploit pressure on any CO Foundry, because it's hard to beat 'get a bunch of XP for running a three minute Smash.'

Yup.

Never understood that argument against the Foundry.

CellarRat33 :: formerly Bsquared

"The great thing about glory unending is that it's dirt cheap!" - Tateklys
    From the Adventures of Thundrax (canadascott)
    edited February 2013
    Yup.

Never understood that argument against the Foundry.

Yeah all the excuses they put out why they won't make the foundry is just ridiculous, they are all simply put, lazy, that whole " devs pulled to work on never winter" rubbish don't fly with me, considering the resources and staff PWE actually own i am surprised they have not shifted other staff to this game to give it a bit of work over.

edited February 2013
    jennymachx wrote: »
    No, you're right OP. Alerts are killing the game.

/thread_over 1

I didn't say alerts are killing the game, so thread back on XD

edited February 2013
    I don't know what this picture is supposed to mean but i am the type of guy that does not hide behind pictures or slogans to cover up my opinion so with that i will say that this is a discussion about the alerts, not to rile up anyone or start a thread argument.

...I'm going to be rude and treat you like you're an idiot, and actually explain the "secret hidden meaning" behind the picture.

The picture says "Here we go again". as in, here we go again with the "alerts should be level gated" discussion that has been had time and time again, with everyone saying the same things, and the end result being nothing.

Yeah I know, that was buried so deeply. :biggrin:

edited February 2013

...I'm going to be rude and treat you like you're an idiot, and actually explain the "secret hidden meaning" behind the picture.

The picture says "Here we go again". as in, here we go again with the "alerts should be level gated" discussion that has been had time and time again, with everyone saying the same things, and the end result being nothing.

Yeah I know, that was buried so deeply. :biggrin:

Considering the fact again i must repeat myself, i don't look into the forums as much so how would i know that this picture was meant for that? you can be rude all you like i ignore people like you and have no time for arguments.

So in response to the picture, yes here we go again, because if nothing is done, something must be started, again and again and again until it is at least looked into, so whether you like to belittle people in the forums or put up nonsensical pictures of idiotic nature that is your call, i am simply moving on and trying to deal with the issue at hand.

edited February 2013
    I am a turnip.

Wicks and Things: NW-DI4FMZRR4 : The Fenwick merchant family has lost a caravan! Can you help?

Beggar's Hollow: NW-DR6YG4J2L : Someone, or something, has stolen away many of the Fenwicks' children! Can you find out what happened to them?

Into the Fen Wood: NW-DL89DRG7B : Enter the heart of the forest. Can you discover the secret of the Fen Wood?
    edited February 2013
    zahinder wrote: »
    I am a turnip.

Well i guessed that but had no idea it was mentioning the posts on the forum i had no idea that this was mentioned before in this light, wow some sad people on the forums tonight, 2 people have managed to actually turn a constructive and serious post into an argument over a stupid picture.

Well done, children.

EDIT: nice to change your post so quickly.

edited February 2013
    Well i guessed that but had no idea it was mentioning the posts on the forum i had no idea that this was mentioned before in this light, wow some sad people on the forums tonight, 2 people have managed to actually turn a constructive and serious post into an argument over a stupid picture.

Well done, children.

EDIT: nice to change your post so quickly.

...I'm gonna give you some advice:

• taintedmesstaintedmess Posts: 446 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I appreciate the support, i did not report them however, i wish not to abuse the ignore or report button because we can all get cranky and i kinda understand that the alerts are messed up, but thank you though.

If there being abusive to wards you then reporting them is not a abuse of the ignore/report button its the entire reason its there so that players that abuse other players can be weeded out.
    edited February 2013

...I'm gonna give you some advice:

Oh how mature and clever, judging by the pic posted i googled her, disney girl eh?

now please go back to your cookies and milkshake and then to bed you go, there's a good little child :)

• towershield#4714 towershield Posts: 1,208 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    If there being abusive to wards you then reporting them is not a abuse of the ignore/report button its the entire reason its there so that players that abuse other players can be weeded out.

If by report button you mean submitting a ticket, then yes you're right.

If by report button you mean the abused feature that's meant strictly for reporting RMT spammers then no, you're dead wrong.

Going by the wording of your post I can't tell which one you're referring to.

@sypherv don't use the "report spam" feature to combat in-game abuse, submitting a ticket via the support link at the top of the champs site is by far a better alternative.
    Oh how mature and clever, judging by the pic posted i googled her, disney girl eh?

now please go back to your cookies and milkshake and then to bed you go, there's a good little child :)

See what you're doing right here? This isn't helping. You mentioned in your opening post that you were made to feel unwelcome by another person in-game. If you have a habit of feeding into arguments like you're doing right now then it's no wonder you were treated the way you were. Food for thought.
    ___________________________________________________________________________________________
    edited February 2013

If by report button you mean the abused feature that's meant strictly for reporting RMT spammers then no, you're dead wrong.

@sypherv don't use the "report spam" feature to combat in-game abuse, submitting a ticket via the support link at the top of the champs site is by far a better alternative.

Ah thanks, you know what, i been using the wrong one, appreciate the reply, well i guess i'll just use the ignore feature, i mean, i don't want to make my world smaller using ignore everytime, but i doubt cryptic will do anything about it either way.

edited February 2013

See what you're doing right here? This isn't helping. You mentioned in your opening post that you were made to feel unwelcome by another person in-game. If you have a habit of feeding into arguments like you're doing right now then it's no wonder you were treated the way you were. Food for thought.

I see your point, but why do anyone get off doing this? its beyond any thought or reasoning, seriously i do feed to the trolls alot, but if everytime i was approached in a dis respective manner and i backed down, i'm letting myself down, i do like to apologize for my comments though, this post is just for alerts, if we can keep it that way please, i'd appreciate that.

• echozeeroechozeero Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Low levels in alerts are not the problem. Ignorant and unskilled players in alerts are. I've seen level 30+ players trying to kill each and every mob in a recruiting drive, completely unaware that they need to take down the boss as quickly as possible. I've seen level 30+ tanks not doing their job and not pulling aggro when they should be the first ones in. I've even heard a healer say after I called him out "I don't heal people I don't know, lol!"

Now the problem with alert is that it produces these same unskilled players that go in from the tutorial, completely unskilled and they just grab onto the skilled players legs and get dragged all the way to level 40 without even knowing how to play the game.
    edited February 2013
    echozeero wrote: »
    Low levels in alerts are not the problem. Ignorant and unskilled players in alerts are. I've seen level 30+ players trying to kill each and every mob in a recruiting drive, completely unaware that they need to take down the boss as quickly as possible. I've seen level 30+ tanks not doing their job and not pulling aggro when they should be the first ones in. I've even heard a healer say after I called him out "I don't heal people I don't know, lol!"

Now the problem with alert is that it produces these same unskilled players that go in from the tutorial, completely unskilled and they just grab onto the skilled players legs and get dragged all the way to level 40 without even knowing how to play the game.

That's a very good point, i think maybe some sort of way to get players to explore the game and learn how to play it would help these lower levels to gain experience rather than waiting for a level 40 to take them to finish line.

At the same time, the best way to do this without limiting choices to players, is scale the alerts to specific levels, i.e: alerts for level 10's, 20's 30's and so forth, that way you can weed out the inexperienced to the more hardcore players who like a challenge, i also believe keeping one of each alert on at all times to keep players engaged and logged on, that way the benefit for cryptic is that eventually, sooner or later maybe people will be buying from the shop to upgrade their characters or get some gadgets to play with.

How does that sound? :)

edited February 2013
    Considering the fact again i must repeat myself, i don't look into the forums as much so how would i know that this picture was meant for that?
    Well, for starters, at the bottom of the pic is what I assume to be an album title - it reads, "Here We Go Again".

I thought it was pretty plain...
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

edited February 2013
    Well, for starters, at the bottom of the pic is what I assume to be an album title - it reads, "Here We Go Again".

I thought it was pretty plain...

Jon why do you still carry on, what is your purpose in this thread? have you nothing to contribute to the main discussion that has been suggested? i apologized, i left it go, now seriously go away, grow up, from your picture you appear to be a grown man of about 48, and you continue to post idiotic messages and unnecessary comments unrelated to the topic.

I understand boredom kicks in after a while but really, have you nothing better to do than make yourself look like an absolute idiot?

I am looking for constructive criticism on a subject that is over looked by the devs for quite some time.

Unless you are going to add to the topic something worth while, i suggest you go on a different website where they encourage this kind of behavior, because quite frankly you are becoming quite an annoying and useless troll on the threads, i noticed you been on some of my threads before, commenting nonsense and harassing me with similar comments, i don't appreciate it and i don't want it, i will report you if you carry on.

• gamehobogamehobo Posts: 1,970 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I'm right. You're wrong. I also have more intrinsic value than other life.
    edited February 2013
    I was clearing up a point. My apologies, I hadn't realized you'd been appointed as a moderator. You ought to see about having your forum title adjusted to reflect your status.

edited February 2013
    I was clearing up a point. My apologies, I hadn't realized you'd been appointed as a moderator. You ought to see about having your forum title adjusted to reflect your status.

I will when the timing is right jon, when. the. timing. is. right.

:smile:

edited February 2013
    gamehobo wrote: »
    I'm right. You're wrong. I also have more intrinsic value than other life.

Wow makes a change from being on the telepath sucks post eh bez? lol

• mlmiimlmii Posts: 111 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I don't know, the few times I tried doing the Alerts as a lowbie I felt pretty useless, even when I tried one of the autoleveling ones my character simply didn't have the proper powerset built up enough to feel like I was truly pulling my own weight.

However, I must agree on one point; at least one of the high level players seemed to be a complete idiot who knew even less about the game then I did; so it isn't all about levels and powers but they sure do help.
    edited February 2013
    I feel that folks should not be engaging in PuG Smash alerts before level 10.

If I see someone below level 10 in a Smash, I say 'I don't do Smashes with folks below level 10' and leave.

Yes, there are idiots at any level who can mess up a Smash. Heck, if everyone's a Tank AT, you're unlikely to finish timed Smashes. Yes, some level 7 guys can do FABULOUSLY. Great.

In my experience, on the whole, the odds of a completed Smash go WAY UP if I skip the ones with <10 folks.

It takes about 1-2 hours to hit level 10 doing regular mission content (Westside). I'm sorry starting levels are so boring.

Maybe find a Supergroup and queue up for Smashes with folks. Heck, make an all-lowbie team -- that way you can arrange complementary characters to do well.

edited February 2013
    Jon why do you still carry on, what is your purpose in this thread? have you nothing to contribute to the main discussion that has been suggested? i apologized, i left it go, now seriously go away, grow up, from your picture you appear to be a grown man of about 48, and you continue to post idiotic messages and unnecessary comments unrelated to the topic.

I understand boredom kicks in after a while but really, have you nothing better to do than make yourself look like an absolute idiot?

I am looking for constructive criticism on a subject that is over looked by the devs for quite some time.

Unless you are going to add to the topic something worth while, i suggest you go on a different website where they encourage this kind of behavior, because quite frankly you are becoming quite an annoying and useless troll on the threads, i noticed you been on some of my threads before, commenting nonsense and harassing me with similar comments, i don't appreciate it and i don't want it, i will report you if you carry on.

So, what exactly have you convinced yourself that this thread can actually accomplish that the dozen or so threads exactly like it failed to do? You should probably figure that out before you try to tell others that they're wasting thread space... since as it stands, the whole thread is a waste.

edited February 2013

So, what exactly have you convinced yourself that this thread can actually accomplish that the dozen or so threads exactly like it failed to do? You should probably figure that out before you try to tell others that they're wasting thread space... since as it stands, the whole thread is a waste.

Fair comment.

• decorumfriendsdecorumfriends Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    smoochan shows some pipes:

**sigh** I liked her so much better pre-rehab, when she was broken and angry instead of broken and whiny.
    'Dec out

QDSxNpT.png
  • embracemyswordembracemysword Posts: 308 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    lvl 15 cap - xp alerts

lvl 25 cap - any other alert

problem solved.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • jennymachxjennymachx Posts: 3,000 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    lvl 15 cap - xp alerts

problem solved.

A level 15 cap for smash alerts, I can understand.

But a level 25 cap for other alerts? Why?
  • embracemyswordembracemysword Posts: 308 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    jennymachx wrote: »
    A level 15 cap for smash alerts, I can understand.

But a level 25 cap for other alerts? Why?

Nemesis alerts. And all a character needs until lvl 25 is xp.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • alekso1997alekso1997 Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    What is one-time code??
    I wanted to play the game from the beginning but we requested a one-time code. Please Help.
  • flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
  • thatcursedwolfthatcursedwolf Posts: 484 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    lvl 15 cap - xp alerts

problem solved.

Minimums would make more sense for what is complained about.

Capping smashes at 15 and everything else at 25 gives 40s even less to do, although it will stop the "Waaahh! My numbers aren't as big!", annoying as it is I'd rather have the option to do these through the full level range.
    This is my Risian Corvette. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
  • roughbearmattachroughbearmattach Posts: 4,784 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    By the way, Alerts are gated . . . at level 6.

I got a toon to level 6 in the tutorial, and Alerts became available.

;)

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.
  • scorpagorscorpagor Posts: 607 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    By the way, Alerts are gated . . . at level 6.

I got a toon to level 6 in the tutorial, and Alerts became available.

;)

That would explain the level 9 player with passive and travel power I saw flying around in the tutorial the other day.
    edited February 2013
    I wonder if anyone's made a character and leveled to max without leaving the tutorial.

Should be POSSIBLE, and I think you could use a hideout to funnel gear to the character... ?