test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

New devs and game quality improvement coming in January - Rumor or Truth?

Comments

• kojirohellfirekojirohellfire Posts: 2,075 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Although it seems to be an interesting case where those who are moving the goalposts appear to be moving them inward so Cryptic doesn't have to make the dash.
  • lestylolestylo Posts: 375 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Although it seems to be an interesting case where those who are moving the goalposts appear to be moving them inward so Cryptic doesn't have to make the dash.

Saying Cryptic made good on certain things that they said they would do while acknowledging that they missed some sounds less like moving the goalposts than saying Cryptic has done nothing and that the Nighthawk alert was not an alert/acting like it never happened. The latter is ridiculous and makes said group sound like angry raving lunatics.
    "I tried to look at that page but saw only inane comments."
  • ashensnowashensnow Posts: 2,048 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    lestylo wrote: »
    Saying Cryptic made good on certain things that they said they would do while acknowledging that they missed some sounds less like moving the goalposts than saying Cryptic has done nothing and that the Nighthawk alert was not an alert/acting like it never happened. The latter is ridiculous and makes said group sound like angry raving lunatics.

The Nighthawk event was an alert now ?

'Caine, miss you bud. Fly high.
    edited December 2012
    ashensnow wrote: »
    The Nighthawk event was an alert now ?

I meant event (though it did have a queable part). It was an event. I'm not the one saying it wasn't an event.
  • kojirohellfirekojirohellfire Posts: 2,075 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    It might as well have, as from what I understand, it was completely temporary and is no longer playable. Not to mention that those satisfied with temporary stuff state that it's perfectly fine that Cryptic managed only those things while the UNTIL report lists significantly more. Considering that the UNTIL report appears to be the full 90 yard dash and the rosey-glasses-wearers say it's okay Crptic only made good on only so many of those yards (like barely even a third), I'd say my analogy is far more apt.
    edited December 2012
    I'm not the one saying it wasn't an event.

Who is then ? It would appear that I missed that post.

edited December 2012
    It might as well have, as from what I understand, it was completely temporary and is no longer playable.

So the Winter event is not an event because it is only temporary? The Halloween event is not an event because it is only temporary? So what was once considered an event is no longer an event anymore.

Nope. No one is moving any goalposts here. Not at all. :rolleyes:

Not to mention that those satisfied with temporary stuff state that it's perfectly fine that Cryptic managed only those things while the UNTIL report lists significantly more. Considering that the UNTIL report appears to be the full 90 yard dash and the rosey-glasses-wearers say it's okay Crptic only made good on only so many of those yards (like barely even a third), I'd say my analogy is far more apt.

No one is saying they are completely content with what is done. They are simply noting that Cryptic has done some of the stuff that they said they would do. Some of us are noting that even those things done aren't being acknowledged as being done because whatever reason why a person would claim something done as being not done. Some of us are saying that if an event is done, call it that, don't call it something else just because it makes you feel better/gives you an excuse to be angry. That's silly.
    edited December 2012
    Who is then ? It would appear that I missed that post.

The post above yours is a nice example of one. That said, if you have a point, then get on with it and stop asking rather silly questions. If you feel offended by something I said, get to it then.
    edited December 2012
    The post above yours is a nice example of one. That said, if you have a point, then get on with it and stop asking rather silly questions. If you feel offended by something I said, get to it then.

No it isnt. He did not claim that the Nighthawk event was not an event.

I am not at all offended by what you are saying. I do find it funny that you are claiming that people here are saying things that they didn't say.

The only reason that the question might be considered silly is that the only accurate and honest answer would be, "no one has said that."

edited December 2012
    No it isnt. He did not claim that the Nighthawk event was not an event.

I am not at all offended by what you are saying. I do find it funny that you are claiming that people here are saying things that they didn't say.

The only reason that the question might be considered silly is that the only accurate and honest answer would be, "no one has said that."

He was acting like it never happened, something I mentioned in the first post of mine you quoted.

Made bold for your consideration. I'll add "practically" to make you feel better.

I'm being trolled softly by silly questions. Great. :rolleyes:

My point still stands. People are moving the goalposts on events and that's ridiculous.
    edited December 2012
    He was acting like it never happened, something I mentioned in the first post of mine you quoted.

Made bold for your consideration. I'll add "practically" to make you feel better.

My point still stands. People are moving the goalposts on events and that's ridiculous.

He was not acting as if it never happened. He admitted that it did happen.

saying Cryptic has done nothing and that the Nighthawk alert was not an alert

Who said that ?

Or are you lying. Are you making false claims to paint those with whom you disagree in a negative light ?

Are you are engaged in telling lies about others and then claiming that I am a troll for asking you to back up your claim ?

edited December 2012

saying...that the Nighthawk alert was not an alert

Who said that ?

Or are you lying. Are you making false claims to paint those with whom you disagree in a negative light ?

Are you are engaged in telling lies about others and then claiming that I am a troll for asking you to back up your claim ?

As to moving the goal posts...

Most of the UNTIL report actually happened.

Most does not mean less than half.

• flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    What we probably get is, Lemurian Drill invasion. You can see the Drills in loading screen. It introduces New Vehicle, has an event that will be gone after week or two (or 2 days if it breaks), return of an hero whos reasons and goals will be revealed on a mission chain (defeat fishmobs, gather Scales and invade underwater base) which will be gone after the event. The Event also introduces new AT; the Submariner, along with Water Power Set.
    After that the Rabblerabble starts again.
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
    edited December 2012
    My comments in red.

He's acting like it didn't happen then. Acting like it might as well not happened is essentially the same thing. Even if he acknowledged it. My main point was in reference to people moving the goalposts, which requires the person to acknowledge the thing first. I would not use that term if I did not already realize that he already knew it happened. But to then go against that, act like it's temporary status or what not meant something is ludicrous.

Who said that ?

And ignoring the other part of that sentence? Ignoring the fact that I added the second part of what I was saying to clarify what I meant? Splicing my comments out of context and being overly literal in some attempt to try and make me look bad while ignoring the main conversation that is going on?

I'm not lying and I do not care if people disagree with me. This is a board filled with different people. It is not surprising that people don't see eye to eye.

No, but apparently I've become engaged in a pointless argument with someone who lacks enough common sense to understand that I was speaking in general and that a sentence should be taken as a whole. Again, my claim is sound. Moving the goalposts is going on.

It might as well have, as from what I understand, it was completely temporary and is no longer playable.

Feel free to explain this while you're at it then.
  • arblaquearblaque Posts: 158 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Why are all these rumors milling about in here?
    Formerly known as NewAgeKnight in the Forums of old.
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,318 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    arblaque wrote: »
    Why are all these rumors milling about in here?
    Well, they tried milling about in other forums, but people just pointed and laughed...
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    edited December 2012
    My comments in red.

Feel free to explain this while you're at it then.

So I assume this means that you can't support your claim ?

If, as you claim, you are not lying, perhaps you would consider providing a single quote to someone saying what you claim ?

Claiming that you were speaking, "in general," does not make a knowingly false statement true.

Claiming that something happened, when it didn't actually happen, in order to portray those with whom you disagree in a negative light, is not a matter of, "people don't see eye to eye."

As to Kojirohellfire's quote...the one where he states that the event was temporary and no longer playable...umm, not sure how to answer your, "silly," question except with another question. Are you trying to claim that it wasn't temporary and that it is still playable ? If not, what is your point. His statement is accurate. By definition stating that something existed, even if only temporarily, is NOT a claim that it never happened.

I even responded to your comment about moving the goal posts by providing a quote showing that the movement of those goal posts might not all be coming from those you seem to be claiming are doing the moving.

• rokurocarisrokurocaris Posts: 1,074 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    pion01 wrote: »

The thing people seem to forget, or choose to ignore, is that there is already a fourth currently unnamed project in the works by Cryptic. I don't understand why people think that all the game launching Devs who launched CO, then left CO to launch STO, then left STO to launch NWO are going to leave NWO and not launch UNFP (Unnamed Fourth Project) but instead go back to their one unlicensed, low population game?

So, you think abandoning CO because it's not a licensed game (and that only because Cryptic bought the whole franchicse instead fo just a license, mind you) is a logical step for Cryptic to take?
    CO having a low population is Cryptic's own fault. Not enough advertisement, no attempts to actually attract the former CoH players, but instead a limited character creator and a crappy tutorial to greet the newbies. :rolleyes:
    flyingfinn wrote: »
    What we probably get is, Lemurian Drill invasion. You can see the Drills in loading screen. It introduces New Vehicle, has an event that will be gone after week or two (or 2 days if it breaks), return of an hero whos reasons and goals will be revealed on a mission chain (defeat fishmobs, gather Scales and invade underwater base) which will be gone after the event. The Event also introduces new AT; the Submariner, along with Water Power Set.
    After that the Rabblerabble starts again.

That sounds like it could happen. But I won't "hold my breath" for it. :wink:
    smoochan wrote: »
    I am sure we will have so much to talk about soon that we'll be blasting off into the stars.
    We will not be going to the moon, and we will not be fighting a quallar invasion.

Maybe he's implying that we'll all move on to STO, after CO becomes unplayable in one way or another. :frown:

Anyway. I know thou shalt not name people on the forums, but the person who told me it's about to go uphill with CO again has yet to comment on this thread.
  • decorumfriendsdecorumfriends Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    rokurocaris reads into:

So, you think abandoning CO because it's not a licensed game (and that only because Cryptic bought the whole franchicse instead fo just a license, mind you) is a logical step for Cryptic to take?

I'm not him, but it doesn't look to me that he's saying it's logical at all. He's saying it's likely to happen, logical or not.
    'Dec out

QDSxNpT.png
    edited December 2012
    009e81e8-fecd-4aec-b38f-a307841cfae5.jpg
    edited December 2012
    So I assume this means that you can't support your claim ?

I already explained that.

If, as you claim, you are not lying, perhaps you would consider providing a single quote to someone saying what you claim ?

I already explained this as well. I can't be blamed if you have an axe to grind.

Claiming that you were speaking, "in general," does not make a knowingly false statement true.

Taking a comment out off context does not make my comments false.

Claiming that something happened, when it didn't actually happen, in order to portray those with whom you disagree in a negative light, is not a matter of, "people don't see eye to eye."

Claiming I lied about something when I was speaking in general and followed up what I said with a comment that showed what context I was speaking in is pretty sad.

As to Kojirohellfire's quote...the one where he states that the event was temporary and no longer playable...umm, not sure how to answer your, "silly," question except with another question. Are you trying to claim that it wasn't temporary and that it is still playable ? If not, what is your point. His statement is accurate. By definition stating that something existed, even if only temporarily, is NOT a claim that it never happened.

Explained below.

I even responded to your comment about moving the goal posts by providing a quote showing that the movement of those goal posts might not all be coming from those you seem to be claiming are doing the moving.

That comment did not exhibit any goalpost moving. It was a fair comment.

My statement stands and speaks for Itself. I showed posts where people were acting/invalidating the event. I can't be blamed if you want to willingly ignore that or willingly ignore my statement, take it out of context and twist it to suit your own means, what that is I don't even know. This is what bothers me the most. My comment was a very open comment and you've put a very narrow spin on it for a reason I cannot fathom. You want me to apologize for something? That's not going to happen. You're going to have to kill me first. Want me to say I lied about something when I didn't? That's not going to happen. You're going to have to kill me first. You want me to say that I made my comment with the intention of maligning a group of people when I have said before that they are well-meaning people looking for reasonable change and are in danger of sounding like lunatics that are hard to take seriously if they take their rhetoric too far? Again, that's not going to happen. You're going to have to kill me first.

The comment you highlighted does not show someone moving goalposts, simply addressing the fact that Cryptic did do some of the things they said they were going to do. That's all. Saying an event might as well not happened when it did happen is moving the goalposts.

As Kojirohellfire's comment, it sounded like he had not played the event or was not around for it, which makes me wonder why he or she would comment on it to begin with. That said, that makes me wonder about the other events as well. His other comments which I've commented on (I suggest actually looking over the thread with an unbiased (*everyone laughs*) view) reflect what I've mentioned. There was nothing wrong with the event for the most part and it ran for a decent amount of time.
  • nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Whats this . Where is this info? >_>
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • hocofaisanhocofaisan Posts: 190 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Yeah, making things up isn't helping folks.
    POSITIVE ABOUT CO IN 2013!
  • spyralpegacyonspyralpegacyon Posts: 383 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    At2fi.gif
    tumblr_moni7tHVoq1rzu2xzo1_500.gif
  • jasinblazejasinblaze Posts: 1,360 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    i believe i was there at the start of this rumor. the person that said this is someone i trust but not affiliated with cryptic in anyway. it is possible that they know something. i did ask for any links but they logged off to spend time with family before i finished typing :(. i certainly hope this is true.
    the new hiring post would support this as a possibility. this is in fact a rumor at this point.
    edited December 2012
    nepht wrote: »
    Whats this . Where is this info? >_>

I'd like to know that too. That's why I started this thread, in hope anyone knows something. :redface:
    jasinblaze wrote: »
    the new hiring post would support this as a possibility. this is in fact a rumor at this point.

"Comic book knowledge" implies that they are indeed looking for a dev for CO.
    edited December 2012
    The 'anyones' that know, have been quite silent lately...
    Bazinga!
  • snazzymcpantssnazzymcpants Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    DUDES, Super Secret Soviet Canine Conveyance Contraption content confirmed!
  • jasinblazejasinblaze Posts: 1,360 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    DUDES, Super Secret Soviet Canine Conveyance Contraption content confirmed!
    that link rocks
  • visionstorm01visionstorm01 Posts: 564 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    mainscrizz wrote: »
    jonsills wrote: »
    The Nighthawk event did indeed happen. It worked pretty much as described there - I ran it several times. If you developed greater expectations based on what you read into the description, well, that's not really Cryptic's issue, is it?

so, where's the mission then?
    :rolleyes:

all the effort, to remove it relatively quickly?

Exactly,

Technically the event went live--you got us, we can no longer claim that it wasn't made or that it didn't happen. But it might as well not have happened considering that it only lasted like 3 days IIRC then they rushed to take it out like we weren't starving for content in this game and lots of people didn't get the chance to play it.

I myself only played it once on the PTS. I was busy taking advantage of double XP +back to back Smash alerts to level some old toons to 40 during the Anniversary event when Nighthawk went Live, and by the time I was almost done with that the event was already taken out from Live and I never got a chance to try it again.
    jonsills wrote: »
    And once again, we have someone deciding what does or doesn't "count" as fulfilling a specific prediction. It's the "content" argument all over again. And as long as the definitions are subjective, there are those who cannot be satisfied.

No one is disagreeing on the definition of content here. But when we're already content starved and waiting for something permanent and tangible to finally grace this game already, making new temporary content that's only going to be around for 3 days never to be heard from again all that work that the devs may have made is completely and utterly meaningless.

/thread

I been a long time leaving but I'm going to be a long time gone.

Willie Nelson

T.U.F.K.A.S. (the user formerly known as Scarlyng)
    Wrong on the CO forums since November, 2008
  • mensarmensar Posts: 294 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I heard people talking about it in the chat.

But I want to know for sure.

Yes.. the official word is we have devs on on the case. Whether they are new or not, I can't tell you. But the new FOCUS is on future improvements to the game (to include bug fixes very soon) and new content (paid and nonpaid).

The idea is that we will be having more focus on the game and fixes.

Which I thought was very heartening considering the failures in the recent past.

And the xmas event actually worked.. for the duration even.

Crazy, huh?

At any rate, I hope everyone can be as excited as I am about the future of the game knowing there's finally a focus on CO.

Woohoo!

EDIT: Not to say there wasn't a focus before.. but.. lack of information, updates, patches, patch notes, working events.. well.. yeah I guess there wasn't.

This message brought to you by the superhero:
    Bacon Overlord

All available action figures, check.
    Hit the global cap, check.
    All lore and event perks done, check.
    All 1K mob perks done, check.
    All nemesis mob perks done, check.
    Break 20,000 perk points, check.
    Complete all 5K perk points, stay tuned!

Come see me on steam (be friends, drink fine wines, clink glasses and KILL STUFF ONLINE!)
  • itsbrou#5396 itsbrou Posts: 1,778 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Geez.

Okay... a hint.

Look at the loading screen. Look at that object in the background.

Now, take a glance at the props in the Andrith neighborhood of Monster Island...
    Brou in Cryptic games.
    edited December 2012
    Geez.

Okay... a hint.

Now, take a glance at the props in the Andrith neighborhood of Monster Island...

I noticed that too. Right now, the drills are just static objects, but turning them into working character models shoulldn't be too difficult.
  • smoochansmoochan Posts: 2,564 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Geez.

Okay... a hint.

What is it Brou, a clue?
    blues_clues_top.jpg
    Raruuuuuu!

Champions Online: Be the hero you wish you could be in a better game.
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,318 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    smoochan wrote: »
    What is it Brou, a clue?
    blues_clues_top.jpg
    Raruuuuuu!
    It's time for the handy-dandy.... Notebook, right!
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
  • seismecaseismeca Posts: 47 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Geez.

Okay... a hint.

more vehicles yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay
  • roughbearmattachroughbearmattach Posts: 4,784 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    *heavy sigh*

The game needs another full zone.
    Preferably one that can be played at a wide variety of levels.

Vehicles just aren't enough to keep the game going.

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.
  • tacofoodsololtacofoodsolol Posts: 88 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Geez.

Okay... a hint.

Well I hope it's a hint at that part of the Until report:
    "? Epic ?Confrontation? and ?Invasion? Encounters - for Vehicles and High-Level Heroes
    - Large-scale, multi-team, outdoor assaults against wave attacks of enemies and escalating tiers of boss encounters
    - Collaborative game play has multiple player teams cooperating to take down enough enemies in the current ?tier? to unlock the next ? for example:
    - After defeating enough waves of invading Lemurian shock troops deployed by drill tanks, the next tier of spider-walking Leviathan Weapon Platforms is deployed?
    - If our heroes cripple enough Leviathans, the next tier of Lemurian Command hover-barges ridden by sorceror-Lieutenants must be conquered?
    - Finally, they unleash? the Kraken! A boss fight to end them all?"
  • thalast1thalast1 Posts: 78 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    This post has been edited to remove content which violates the [URL="[URL]http://forums.champions-online.com/announcement.php?f=170&a=9"]Cryptic[/URL] Studios Community Rules and Policies[/URL] -Smackwell
  • mensarmensar Posts: 294 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    thalast1 wrote: »
    This post has been edited to remove content which violates the [URL="[URL]http://forums.champions-online.com/announcement.php?f=170&a=9"]Cryptic[/URL] Studios Community Rules and Policies[/URL] -Smackwell

Proof that the CMs are doing their jobs :)

Cryptic hasn't abandoned us.... As was the fear we all had.

:smile:

This message brought to you by the superhero:
    Bacon Overlord

All available action figures, check.
    Hit the global cap, check.
    All lore and event perks done, check.
    All 1K mob perks done, check.
    All nemesis mob perks done, check.
    Break 20,000 perk points, check.
    Complete all 5K perk points, stay tuned!

Come see me on steam (be friends, drink fine wines, clink glasses and KILL STUFF ONLINE!)
    edited December 2012
    mensar wrote: »

Smackwell isn't actually affiliated with Cryptic. He just works the forums. I don't think he's ever actually talked to a dev :P

• bwdaresbwdares Posts: 1,517 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    mensar wrote: »

Smackwell doesnt work for Cryptic, he is a volenteer, this does not mean Cryptic hasn't abandoned us. Though I doubt they have anyway.
    #Mechanon!(completed) #New Zones! #Foundry!
  • hocofaisanhocofaisan Posts: 190 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I wonder what Last even says these days since Smackwell must have his own Last tracker lol.

Never seen two folks so in love.

I wonder if the volunteer(s? Is there even two anymore?) can give out infractions so we can finally be rid of the last.
    POSITIVE ABOUT CO IN 2013!
  • infoshowerinfoshower Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    edited December 2012
    And you went and blowed the whistle up....
    giggity
  • meredyredleafmeredyredleaf Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I hear the coastline is a very nice vacation spot in January....

releasethekrakenbybigrd.jpg
    edited December 2012
    Lusca!!?? Is that you??
  • somebobsomebob Posts: 980 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    infoshower wrote: »

Well this is quite interesting. What is this from?

I'd ask for a dev opinion, but, well, you know the joke by now.
    Owner and Lead Moderator for the Primus Database. Post your Hero today!
    Razira's Primus Database Page
    edited December 2012
    infoshower wrote: »

Ah, I see they made a youtube channel where they will post vids about what they're working on. I wonder who made that suggestion!
    Sakura_Kasugano_SF_h1.jpg