Install Arc
Options

The Final Nail

2»

Comments

• Options
    nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Having two factions doesn't mean that open world pvp is mandatory.
    STO has two factions, and no open world pvp, only few special pvp zones. It also has roleplaying people playing at so-called "evil" Klingon side, I'd even say that they're in general more matured and lore friendly in their rp that Feds.

Well said. That is spot on. I cannot add anything at all to the above statement.
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • Options
    embracemyswordembracemysword Posts: 308 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Smackwell, can you stop editing my posts? Send me the rules that i've broken plz. Speaking the truth
    hurts i know, but i think that you are pushing it a tad too far. Just saying.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    rianfrostrianfrost Posts: 578 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    nepht wrote: »
    The fact is Cryptic dropped the ball when they left out a villain faction in CO. Most of my buddies from City of Heroes went to Star Trek because it has the the good guy / bad guy factions.

Most play as Feds BUT they like the fact that they are not forced to be the good guys if they want to roll a Klingon toon they can.

Having the options even if most wont use it does actually make a difference. People like choice.
    i disagree, two factions , one her, one villain doubles the workload for the developers. in coh and(from what I read on theri forums) the villains always complain that their stories are just reskinned hero content and not true villainy. the bottom line seems to be that unless a game is designed from the ground up to play a villain, like gta or saints row, they dont really generalize well between the factions. and given that players tended to gravitate far more heavily to heroside than villainside, we are asking for a doubling of work for a very small return, or you get a huge measure of negativity from the small but vocal group of the players.
    it strikes me as a can of worms best unopened. Sounds great on paper but it never satisfies in execution.

now if they were to make a few quest lines marked for anti-heros or "gritty heroes" then you dont have to worry about the regular content going totally contrary to their characters, but they also have some darker content to enjoy. Really if it were up to me, there would be contacts set up for "gritty urban" heroes, magic heroes, vigilantes, rogues, 4 color heroics and silly heroes. that way you get specialized variety without totally incmpatable or shoehorned "for the greater good" stuff due to realistic resurces. paragon didnt have the staff to fully flesh out vlls,not did soe, i'm not sure cryptic will.
  • Options
    biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Smackwell, can you stop editing my posts? Send me the rules that i've broken plz. Speaking the truth

No, I won't stop editing your posts if you continue to talk about pedophilia and linking certain players to those behaviors.

The rules are linked to In every post I edit.

And calling me a smack head is not winning you any points.
    biffsig.jpg
  • Options
    lestylolestylo Posts: 375 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    The fact is Cryptic dropped the ball when they left out a villain faction in CO. Most of my buddies from City of Heroes went to Star Trek because it has the the good guy / bad guy factions.

Most play as Feds BUT they like the fact that they are not forced to be the good guys if they want to roll a Klingon toon they can.

Having the options even if most wont use it does actually make a difference. People like choice.

Oh my, are we talking about a villain faction? I'd love to see that. I've always thought they dropped the ball in this regards as well. That said, I don't think it would be too late. I still think they could make something work based on the Resistance universe and Hudson City.
    "I tried to look at that page but saw only inane comments."
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    rianfrost wrote: »
    now if they were to make a few quest lines marked for anti-heros or "gritty heroes" then you dont have to worry about the regular content going totally contrary to their characters, but they also have some darker content to enjoy. Really if it were up to me, there would be contacts set up for "gritty urban" heroes, magic heroes, vigilantes, rogues, 4 color heroics and silly heroes. that way you get specialized variety without totally incmpatable or shoehorned "for the greater good" stuff due to realistic resurces. paragon didnt have the staff to fully flesh out vlls,not did soe, i'm not sure cryptic will.

I honestly like this idea. It would work pretty well as well. Types of heroes having their own little storyline sounds nice. I think with the Nighthawk missions, they could make something similar for the anti-heroes. genre based contacts would add some flair to the game.
  • Options
    ultimate2k12ultimate2k12 Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I gave up on cryptic along time ago, I am going to sit back and wait on the next super hero MMO to come out and hope that some one gets it right the next go round with alot of content, being able to create your own hero, Being able to go Rogue or Villain, and give us massive open world events and fights.
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I gave up on cryptic along time ago, I am going to sit back and wait on the next super hero MMO to come out and hope that some one gets it right the next go round with alot of content, being able to create your own hero, Being able to go Rogue or Villain, and give us massive open world events and fights.
    Enjoy the wait! Can I have your stuff?
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    spyralpegacyonspyralpegacyon Posts: 383 Arc User
    edited December 2012

skeleton-waiting3.jpg
    tumblr_moni7tHVoq1rzu2xzo1_500.gif
  • Options
    flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I think that game walked to the sunset awhile ago.....
    You just missed it by, few years.
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    edited December 2012

Can I have your stuff then?
  • Options
    jennymachxjennymachx Posts: 3,000 Arc User
    edited December 2012
  • Options
    kojirohellfirekojirohellfire Posts: 2,075 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Since the rp kids are a funny folk and believe that their toons and themselves are 1 and the same person... it makes me wonder, if these people are getting killed in a game do they die irl, too?

Um... what you described is not RP. Instead, you described schizophrenia. RPers are like actors, where they act out their character in the game. No one actually believes that they are that character.
  • Options
    savagedeaconsavagedeacon Posts: 219 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    The problem is not that Matt Miller said that his old buddies went to STO, it is that they did not come here.
    Think about it : It would have been a great advertising move escpecially towards the old CoH gamers that some of the formers developers were working on another superhero game. Especially if you consider that the CO crew is understaffed.
    Instead they sent them were they were not necessary forgeting the game that was and is really in need
  • Options
    canadascottcanadascott Posts: 1,257 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Um... what you described is not RP. Instead, you described schizophrenia. RPers are like actors, where they act out their character in the game. No one actually believes that they are that character.

I thought I left behind insane anti-RP crap back in the 80s, when misguided religious fundamentalists painted me as a suicidal Satan worshipper. Now, on MMO forums, I have allegedly fellow gamers painting me as a schizophrenic.

Good grief. At least the fundamentalists had ignorance as an excuse.
    /CanadaBanner4.jpg
  • Options
    visionstorm01visionstorm01 Posts: 564 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    This game doesn't have a villain faction because the majority of players suck at pvp.
    And implementing a 2nd faction would come along with some type of open world pvp
    and god forbid, a poor rper could accidentially queue for such min/maxing madness and die.. Since the rp kids are a funny folk and believe that their toons and themselves are 1 and the same person... it makes me wonder, if these people are getting killed in a game do they die irl, too?

This is complete nonsense. I have never met a single RPer that couldn't distinguish between their character and themselves in my entire life, and I used to RP back in my PnP days, as wells as spent YEARS playing in RP/PvP servers back in my NWN days. Yes, imagine that... servers dedicated to both things: RP and PvP. So you're entirely wrong on both accounts.

On the topic of Heroes vs. Villains, I believe that having Heroes vs. Villains factions would have been the best way to make this game to begin with, but unfortunately it never fit the vision the devs had for the game, and it was an idea opposed by some players as well, particularly those against open World PvP (which I never understood since there is no reason open world PvP has to be thrust uppon those that do not wish to participate, and they dont have to become a part of it if they don't want to).

My ideal of Heroes vs. Villains would include:

- Shared world content: Heroes and Villains would reside and do missions on the same areas rather than be segregated to their own sections (as in CoX).

- Reputation System: Characters would start out as Heroes or Villains (or perhaps make this choice in the tutorial) but be able to make choices during their missions and when interacting with NPCs that could affect their reputation and eventually change their faction from one to the other. Contacts will give characters different dialog options and missions depending on their Reputation and current affiliation.

NPCs could also be hostile or non-hostile depending on the character's affiliation, but villains could get an option to attack "evil" NPCs--making that NPC group hostile to them for a given amount of time. Heroes could get a similar option to attack or rob civilians to alter their Reputations.

- Shared Mission Contacts: Some contacts would be available to both Heroes and Villains, but would give different missions to each. Some could be informants that provide authorities with information about the criminal world, but may also offer leads to Villains about potential crime. Others could be potential victims--someone that the Heroes could have to save, or the Villains kidnap or harm, etc.

- Exclusive Mission Contacts: Some contacts could be specific to Heroes or Villains and offer missions to just one faction and may refuse to talk (or even be hostile) to characters based on their faction.

- Open World PvP: There would be a an option to engage in open world PvP through some sort of flagging system or by jumping to PvP specific instances.

- Open World PvP Objectives: There could be key locations scattered across the map that the Heroes could "secure" and the Villains could "capture" to earn or exploit for resources or special rewards, including special loot, achievements and buffs (similar to World vs World PvP in GW2).

- Villain Mission Objectives: Villains should start out as a new "big bad" that has come to town and is trying to make a name for themselves rather than being limited to playing errant boys to the real criminal organizations. Some missions could be jobs for criminal organizations, since this could be appropriate to their role and they do happen from time to time (particularly at lower levels and could be appropriate to assassins and similar types, who normally offer their services to other criminals), but there should also be missions that focus on characters finding a score for themselves rather than for some big boss.

They could receive some leads from street informants about a new shipment to a warehouse, a bank that's about to recieve a big delivery or a museum hosting a rare exhibit of an ancient artifact rumored to have mystical power. The villain would then steal them for themselves. They could also get into confrontations with criminal gangs or villain organizations about territory, or even have to compete with them when stealing something.
    Really great ideas, Visionstorm...

Would love to see something like that implemented...

Make it so, Cryptic!
  • Options
    nextnametakennextnametaken Posts: 2,212 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    So who is this guy and who listens to anything he has to say?
    Never heard of him, doesn't matter, he can just go mumble corner for all I care.
  • Options
    themightyzeniththemightyzenith Posts: 4,599 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I thought I left behind insane anti-RP crap back in the 80s, when misguided religious fundamentalists painted me as a suicidal Satan worshipper. Now, on MMO forums, I have allegedly fellow gamers painting me as a schizophrenic.

Good grief. At least the fundamentalists had ignorance as an excuse.

Do not leave.....this is why we love ya man.
    zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods
  • Options
    arimikamiarimikami Posts: 475 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    rianfrost wrote: »
    in coh and(from what I read on theri forums) the villains always complain that their stories are just reskinned hero content and not true villainy. the bottom line seems to be that unless a game is designed from the ground up to play a villain, like gta or saints row, they dont really generalize well between the factions. and given that players tended to gravitate far more heavily to heroside than villainside, we are asking for a doubling of work for a very small return, or you get a huge measure of negativity from the small but vocal group of the players.
    it strikes me as a can of worms best unopened. Sounds great on paper but it never satisfies in execution.

Just to clear things up, there were two key issues with CoV players.

1) Bad writing. The players were essentially the lackeys and patsies of other villains in the vast majority of the content. The rest of the time they were working with the heroes for the greater good and were actually trying to save the day. In fact, there are only a small handful of missions in all of CoV that I can think of where you're not really a hero in disguise or somebodies chump.

One of those involves a cloning facility that you take over. It's eventually destroyed by another villain trying to take it for himself but, you're not losing to the heroes or playing the fool for someone else.

In the Who Will Die story, you get to attend a press conference at the end where I was happy to have the option of informing the world I'd killed Statesman's daughter, that the only reason I saved the world was so I could take it over, and then attacked the people at the press conference.

And then there's my personal favorite, the low level villain confirmation mission where you go to a construction site, lay waste to the nearby security, kidnap someone for ransom, kill his daughter when she shows up to save him, and then blow up a building with the person you kidnapped inside it just for good measure.

It should be noted that all three of these things didn't exist in CoX until it's last two years when it got some new and better story writers.

The other key issue with CoV was a lack of content. When making redside, the devs looked at how CoH was being played, noticed that a lot of areas weren't getting used as often, and decided to streamline CoV by making less zones which would have been fine, if they hadn't also cut down in the number of arcs in the process. One good example of that is the taskforces and strikeforces. Until trials came out, they were the closest thing people had to content like lairs and dungeons in other games. Not counting co-op, heroes had roughly twice as many as villains did with a better level spread. It didn't help that heroeside content also gave far better rewards on average as well.
  • Options
    holloweaverholloweaver Posts: 582 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    QQ is QQ.

Cryptic does "nothing" specific for Champs after CoX shutdown and qqers are complaining and trying to read some intentional lack of concern into that.

I can bet some would have read into Cryptic showing care for Champs after Cox shutdown as preying low on its rival death. :rolleyes:

My point is Cryptic should show care for Champs, independantly of what's going on outside mmo business world.
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    QQ is QQ.

Cryptic does "nothing" specific for Champs after CoX shutdown and qqers are complaining and trying to read some intentional lack of concern into that.

I can bet some would have read into Cryptic showing care for Champs after Cox shutdown as preying low on its rival death. :rolleyes:

My point is Cryptic should show care for Champs, independantly of what's going on outside mmo business world.

I agree and disagree with some of your points. I don't think they should have gone out of their way to roll out the red carpet just for CoH players but, in September they found out thousands of MMO players who are fans of the super hero genre and are absurdly loyal to the games they do play were no longer going to be able to play the game they were playing. That was a huge chance for increased revenue that should have been taken advantage of.
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    QQ is QQ.

You are right but if Cryptic doesn't act to take advantage of the golden oportunity that was literaly kicked in its own lawn then when will it act?
  • Options
    haleakalahaleakala Posts: 449 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    You are right but if Cryptic doesn't act to take advantage of the golden oportunity that was literaly kicked in its own lawn then when will it act?

The correct answer is... it won't

I been a long time leaving but I'm going to be a long time gone.

Willie Nelson

T.U.F.K.A.S. (the user formerly known as Scarlyng)
    Wrong on the CO forums since November, 2008
  • Options
    kojirohellfirekojirohellfire Posts: 2,075 Arc User
    edited December 2012

If they did, then they'd be proven to be the idiots they'd be. It's only good business sense to capitalize on such an opportunity.
  • Options
    holloweaverholloweaver Posts: 582 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Cryptic doesn't have the manpower to manage Champs better and faster.
    The financial part is more into PWE hands.
  • Options
    clcmercyclcmercy Posts: 308 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Cryptic Studios Community Rules and Policies -Smackwell

Occam's Razor makes the cutting clean.
  • Options
    nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited December 2012

I just read this trainwreck post and I have to admit Embracemysword you are the runaway 2012 winner of ...

painincwindowlickeraward_zps08f939cb.jpg
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    I just read this trainwreck post and I have to admit Embracemysword you are the runaway 2012 winner of ...

painincwindowlickeraward_zps08f939cb.jpg

You should include a link to the music video to go along with the award.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Y0T60MwBc4
  • Options
    twg042370twg042370 Posts: 592 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    No, I won't stop editing your posts if you continue to talk about pedophilia and linking certain players to those behaviors.

The rules are linked to In every post I edit.

And calling me a smack head is not winning you any points.

I admire you more with each login. Even if you've edited or deleted my wisdom from time to time.
    edited December 2012

Dude... you're heading straight for the African Death Bush... did Bear Grylls teach you nothing??? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbJJ4NMCXGY

Champions Online: Be the hero you wish you could be in a better game.
  • Options
    bwdaresbwdares Posts: 1,517 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I agree, but also keep in mind that the ones who are usually against a 2nd fac. are the rp non pvp players.

I only Play CO to RP anymore. I dont PVP because I have been char banned by people who i beat in duels, so i dont bother with it anymore, too many people acting childish for me 9and yes I do understand this is a small minority of PVPers.) Anywho, i would love another faction. I just dont see it as a possibility with the current state of the game. I play Villains now, so it wouldn't change anything for me.
    #Mechanon!(completed) #New Zones! #Foundry!
  • Options
    angelphoenix12angelphoenix12 Posts: 313 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    bwdares wrote: »
    I only Play CO to RP anymore. I dont PVP because I have been char banned by people who i beat in duels, so i dont bother with it anymore, too many people acting childish for me 9and yes I do understand this is a small minority of PVPers.) Anywho, i would love another faction. I just dont see it as a possibility with the current state of the game. I play Villains now, so it wouldn't change anything for me.

i really dont play anymore myself. why becuase there has not been any new story content. and i would have fully left if my graphic card would work on the secret world. i however did order a new card. :)

i want to see this game to become more then what it is. its painful to see so much potentail in this game thats not being fullfilled :(
  • Options
    skyranger1414skyranger1414 Posts: 43 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    i think we should face some facts, 1 we have a community manager not relaying our wants to the devs or the people in charge. 2 he has not tried to even comuinicate with us.

Actually, I would say its more of a resource issue. As in, there's none left for CO. the fact they haven't even released a new costume set in a LONG while leads me to believe they can't even get artist time. I can't speak for others but I used to get almost every costume set the day it was released.

Of course, they can say that most people simply used the stipend on the monthly costume releases and while true, would it have killed them to release TWO costume sets a month so even us LTS freeloaders would have something to spend on? Seriously, I WANT to spend on CO but lockboxes are not the way to do it.

I never understood why lockboxes were implemented as they were in CO? I get how and why ships are a HUGE deal in STO, but in CO...we don't really have an equivalent.
  • Options
    itsbrou#5396 itsbrou Posts: 1,778 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    First bit of January is a fair cutoff until we have a street riot in MC, wouldn't you agree?
    Brou in Cryptic games.
  • Options
    darqauradarqaura Posts: 169 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    First bit of January is a fair cutoff until we have a street riot in MC, wouldn't you agree?

Seeing as how we are not sure when NWO is actually releasing (I know they gave a date already, but I would bet money that it's going to be pushed back), I'd say we should all look forward to early march before we see any work being shifted back to this game at the latest.

/shrug

Just being realistic.

If there had never been a COH there would never have been a CO. :cool:
  • Options
    pion01pion01 Posts: 758 Arc User
    edited December 2012

No way man, do you have any idea how hung over I intend to be until, at least, the 15th?

And I'm sure I'm not the only one.

No, rioting starts in February. Plus, while we riot, we loot and can prep for Valentine's day.
  • Options
    gamehobogamehobo Posts: 1,970 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Not willing to let the "Valetines day event" be another excuse for lack of content.

Keepin' it accountable.
  • Options
    theravenforcetheravenforce Posts: 7,067 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    This game doesn't have a villain faction because the majority of players suck at pvp.
    And implementing a 2nd faction would come along with some type of open world pvp
    and god forbid, a poor rper could accidentially queue for such min/maxing madness and die.. Since the rp kids are a funny folk and believe that their toons and themselves are 1 and the same person... it makes me wonder, if these people are getting killed in a game do they die irl, too?

This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Cryptic Studios Community Rules and Policies -Smackwell

First off, stop bashing RPer's. I'm definately not an "RP kid" so you can go and close that can of misguided trash that you've just opened. In case you havent noticed this thread is about lack of devs and content (new). Not about villainous factions not existing because of RPers.

Since you wonder if our chars die do we die in RL, why don't you go and test it out yourself OR better yet! USE COMMON SENSE!

It's ignorant folks who make comments like this just because they can't follow what has been said already and try to shift it in a direction they can follow. It's so pathetic.

As for what this post is meant to be about from the last few comments...

My idea of when CO will be getting ANY development back would be around late Jan and that's me being optimistic, but I am more inclined to take darqaura2's word for it and rely on late March, who knows if NWO might get pushed back or not?

Either way, I know that when CO does get development back, I imagine I'll still be here forever waiting for my telepathy powers.
  • Options
    cellarrat33cellarrat33 Posts: 399 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    gamehobo wrote: »
    Not willing to let the "Valetines day event" be another excuse for lack of content.

Keepin' it accountable.

Why does the phrase "St. Valentine's Day Massacre" echo through my brain...?

CellarRat33 :: formerly Bsquared

"The great thing about glory unending is that it's dirt cheap!" - Tateklys
    From the Adventures of Thundrax (canadascott)
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    Why does the phrase "St. Valentine's Day Massacre" echo through my brain...?

That would be an event : to travel back in time and get invoved in the Valentine Day massacre.After all we heroes are fighters not lovers
  • Options
    bwdaresbwdares Posts: 1,517 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Actually, I would say its more of a resource issue. As in, there's none left for CO. the fact they haven't even released a new costume set in a LONG while leads me to believe they can't even get artist time. I can't speak for others but I used to get almost every costume set the day it was released.

Of course, they can say that most people simply used the stipend on the monthly costume releases and while true, would it have killed them to release TWO costume sets a month so even us LTS freeloaders would have something to spend on? Seriously, I WANT to spend on CO but lockboxes are not the way to do it.

I never understood why lockboxes were implemented as they were in CO? I get how and why ships are a HUGE deal in STO, but in CO...we don't really have an equivalent.

Careful, your Bigotry is showing. Its is not LTS (or Gold members') fault that CO doesnt release enough things worth purchasing to over come the free points given.

As a LTS member myself, I would buy things from the store but due to the current state of the game-not to mention where my money would end up (NWO) They will not get a penny from me.
    #Mechanon!(completed) #New Zones! #Foundry!
  • Options
    pion01pion01 Posts: 758 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    gamehobo wrote: »

Keepin' it accountable.

I meant more along the lines of while we're rioting we can loot the stores for candy and flowers.